Advice request - Projector or not? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #31 of 50 Old 01-03-2018, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post
Once you go projector you never go back.
Should I be considering the 6040 instead of the 5040 then?

AV_Integrated likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 01-03-2018, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 311
No little to no difference for 1k more real price. rs540 is about 4700 from avscience rs6400 is 1k more avscience is selling last years rs420 projectors for about 2700 imo that is a great deal only slightly less contrast than the 520 or 540 I just bought my son a rs400 closeout for 1500 ( fantastic deal ) and it almost as good as my rs500 dont let some of the people who post confuse you when they talk about wasted pixels 1080 p upscalers to 4k are great for alot less than most true 4k projectors. I have owned more than 20 projectors and you would be more than happy with the epson 540 or jvc 420 or 520 or 540. Dont get one of the new cheap dlp 4k projectors like the vivitek 2288 they have lousy contrast and black levels . feel free to pm me. You are lucky to be doing this now when projectors are so great for relatively little money compared to just a few years ago.
coderguy likes this.

Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 Yamaha CX-A5200 Gemstone 200x7 Emotiva upa-500 amps
Oppo 103 panasonic ub820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Jvc RS3000 projector
Eulenvusion 130 2.35 screen Golden Ear Triton 5 L&R
super center XXL triton 7's sides Emotiva T1 rears
4 RSL C34 in ceiling SVS PB2-plus sub SVS PC13 ultra sub
post #33 of 50 Old 01-04-2018, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry...was making a "Once you go _____, you never go back" joke...because the 6040 is black.

It is always so embarrassing when you make a marginally inappropriate joke, and no one gets it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 50 Old 01-05-2018, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

So just my luck as I am putting together funds for my theater, an emergency vet visit hits me for a $4K operation for my bulldog.

Thanks to everyone that chimed in here. I appreciate your time, and will come back when it is time.
post #35 of 50 Old 01-05-2018, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 468
JVC projectors look real good until their bulb starts to age beyond 500 hours. Then their image becomes very dim. Add to that a rip-off $500 replacement bulb. I would not bother with another JVC until they come out with a affordable laser projector.
post #36 of 50 Old 01-05-2018, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2719 Post(s)
Liked: 3157
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
JVC projectors look real good until their bulb starts to age beyond 500 hours. Then their image becomes very dim. Add to that a rip-off $500 replacement bulb. I would not bother with another JVC until they come out with a affordable laser projector.
Not true at all, I have over 2000 hours on my JVCX500s current bulb and the image is still fine in low lamp.

In fact at 500 hours is when my bulb starts to look it's best.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Modded Little Dot hybrid tube amp with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes, Dual Discrete Op-Amp SS3602, and Alps Blue Velvet volume pot.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
post #37 of 50 Old 01-05-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
Not true at all, I have over 2000 hours on my JVCX500s current bulb and the image is still fine in low lamp.

In fact at 500 hours is when my bulb starts to look it's best.
You are probably using a small screen. And you definitely are not using a alr screen.
post #38 of 50 Old 01-05-2018, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2719 Post(s)
Liked: 3157
Quote:
You are probably using a small screen. And you definitely are not using a alr screen.
120in, not not an ALR screen, but you are the first I have heard mention the 500hr issue. And from what I have read the newer JVC models are brighter then my JVC .

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Modded Little Dot hybrid tube amp with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes, Dual Discrete Op-Amp SS3602, and Alps Blue Velvet volume pot.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
post #39 of 50 Old 01-05-2018, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1721 Post(s)
Liked: 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianStark View Post
Should I be considering the 6040 instead of the 5040 then?

That's why you stick with JVC... It's known how to be properly black it's entire life.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #40 of 50 Old 01-05-2018, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 4446 Post(s)
Liked: 3997
Take any comments about image brightness from someone who goes by @LumensLover in proper perspective.

It's an accepted characteristic of all UHP projector lamps that they tend to lose ~25% of their maximum lumens over the first 500 hours of use. There's no evidence that JVC lamps dim at a greater rate than those of any other brand. If any projector produces marginal brightness with a new lamp then of course it can become too dim after 500 hours, which is again not exclusive to JVC. You always want to get a projector that's brighter than required with a new lamp so that lumens can be adjusted down when new and adjusted up as the lamp ages and dims.
dreamer and unretarded like this.
post #41 of 50 Old 01-05-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Take any comments about image brightness from someone who goes by @LumensLover in proper perspective.
Lamp flicker Lover is also a good screen name if I had kept my Sony.

Last edited by LumensLover; 01-05-2018 at 01:31 PM.
post #42 of 50 Old 01-05-2018, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Lamp flicker Lover is also a good screen name if I had kept my Sony.
Lamp flicker is a known issue with UHP projector lamps in general due to uneven anode wear. My HW45ES has been 100% flicker-free. On the other hand my old Panasonic PT-AX200U developed lamp flicker after running the first several hundred hours on low lamp. I ran it for about 20 hours on high lamp and when I switched back to low lamp the flicker was gone and never came back throughout the lamp's life. When I replaced the original lamp with a genuine replacement lamp it never developed flicker. It's a hit-and-miss issue.
unretarded likes this.
post #43 of 50 Old 01-05-2018, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
I would just toss the flat screen if the living room would not look odd without a TV.
Hey, that's what paintings are for! Haha.

I've known more than one person ditch their living room TV entirely, using just their 2-piece projection. You are so right. The immersion is unparalleled. This is the route I'll definitely go when we buy our next home someday. We just want a high end 2-channel audio setup in the living room. Dedicated HT for TV time with the fam.
unretarded likes this.
post #44 of 50 Old 01-05-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Lamp flicker is a known issue with UHP projector lamps in general due to uneven anode wear. My HW45ES has been 100% flicker-free. On the other hand my old Panasonic PT-AX200U developed lamp flicker after running the first several hundred hours on low lamp. I ran it for about 20 hours on high lamp and when I switched back to low lamp the flicker was gone and never came back throughout the lamp's life. When I replaced the original lamp with a genuine replacement lamp it never developed flicker. It's a hit-and-miss issue.
I hear you. I had horrible lamp flicker with my Sony 40ES. The Sony 45ES projectors I purchased did not stick around long enough for me to see any flicker. Truth be told, selling my small 106 inch Black Diamond screen paired with my Sony 45es was the worst mistake I made last year. They made a fantastic combo.

Much better color accuracy with the Sony 45es compared to the JVC X550R. I would also say shadow detail was better with the Sony 45ES.

I'm tempted to get another 45ES and be done with it. However the super high lumens of the Epson home Cinema 3700 is also a temptation for me. However if I were to find another good deal on a small ALR screen 110 inches or smaller I'm thinking the Sony's lumens would be enough.

Last edited by LumensLover; 01-05-2018 at 02:39 PM.
post #45 of 50 Old 01-05-2018, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1500 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Sorry...was making a "Once you go _____, you never go back" joke...because the 6040 is black.

It is always so embarrassing when you make a marginally inappropriate joke, and no one gets it...
We got it. We just didn't want to embarrass you.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
post #46 of 50 Old 01-05-2018, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
We got it. We just didn't want to embarrass you.

Very kind of you!

...but alas I tend to do it to myself.
post #47 of 50 Old 01-05-2018, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
... I'm tempted to get another 45ES and be done with it. However the super high lumens of the Epson home Cinema 3700 is also a temptation for me. However if I were to find another good deal on a small ALR screen 110 inches or smaller I'm thinking the Sony's lumens would be enough.
As I recall from your earliest posts trying to decide whether or not front projection was right for you one of your stated preferences was for a bright, plasma-like image. The issue with most projectors is that they are either very bright with mediocre black levels or not so bright with good black levels, so obviously a compromise from a bright plasma with good black levels.

I also have a couple of plasmas and realized from previous projector experience that I had to compromise. The HW45ES works for me on a 100" 1.0 gain white screen, but I only watch in the dark. I prefer a commercial cinema bright image rather than a TV bright image so the HW45ES works for me in low lamp mode. I'm glad I don't care about using my projector in ambient light because I'd probably end up as frustrated as you are. I'm willing to settle for using one of my plasmas for viewing in ambient light even though it's a smaller 60" screen. I would never want to be without both a good projector and a good TV.

If you are determined to have a 100"+ screen both day and night one option might be to have a dual projector setup with one light cannon for use in ambient light and a less bright model with good black levels for viewing in the dark.
unretarded likes this.
post #48 of 50 Old 01-09-2018, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Hi all,

I am the OP. I had created a second account when I could not find my original account which caused all sorts of issues. Apologies for falling off the face of the earth for a few days, and thanks again for all the feedback.

Christian
post #49 of 50 Old 01-10-2018, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
So just my luck as I am putting together funds for my theater, an emergency vet visit hits me for a $4K operation for my bulldog.

Thanks to everyone that chimed in here. I appreciate your time, and will come back when it is time.
Oh, man. I missed this tidbit before. Sorry to hear that! What a bummer. I probably would've pulled an old Yeller. KIDDING! KIDDING! In all seriousness, though. At least with my hyper annoying dogs, Home theater > dogs. Haha.

For sure, let us know when it's time to move forward with your setup. Hope your pup is ok!
post #50 of 50 Old 01-10-2018, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 3019 Post(s)
Liked: 1604
Quote:

Much better color accuracy with the Sony 45es compared to the JVC X550R. I would also say shadow detail was better with the Sony 45ES.
Probably just unit variance, there shouldn't be any advantage to JVC or Sony color-wise, they both are very accurate OOTB. Even cheap Benq DLP's tend to be really accurate in some modes as well. Just calibrated an older w7000 and saw no real benefit after calibration.

As far as lamp issues go, the older JVC lamps (pre-RS46/56/66) were the troublesome ones, luckily you can now get the older lamps for under $80 (original Philips)...

The problem with the higher-end JVC and Sony projectors (excluding the hw40/45) are the insane prices Sony and JVC started charging for lamps again. A few years ago, they knocked the prices down to what I'd call a reasonable level ($250 to $400 at dealers), now they decided to start charging rip-off prices again ($550 to $700).

$550 to $700 for Sony and JVC Lamps, that's why I didn't upgrade this year, as I put a lot of hours on the PJ, what's the point. Mise well wait for 4k Laser under $6000...

I'm happy with the JVC RS-45 for now, more contrast than the Sony hw45es and $75 lamps will keep me going until I find the Laser Native 4k projector I want down the road...

Some dealers will sell discounted spare lamps if you buy a new JVC, but I don't think they do it for Sony. So I'd say if you can get a newer JVC with a discounted spare lamp, then that mostly makes up for it (at least for most people)...

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page