post #751 of 1518 Old 03-21-2018, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
IMO age and hearing loss plays a bigger role in hearing the actuator. Evan is an older gentleman so he may not have heard the high-pitched noise. I myself couldn't hear it, but I've also spent my 20's blasting loud, bass-heavy music .

I was going to share it in the thread, but you beat me to it when it went live . I read it, smiled, then went back into my hole to prepare for Digital Signage Expo next week.

I’m here for ya man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 1518 Old 03-21-2018, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Interesting reading the part about it being the quietest of the newer .47 projectors. Til this day, after using the projector almost everyday for a month now I still don't find the noise being that bothersome. Good to see at least the reviewer agreed with me.
JRock3x8 likes this.
post #753 of 1518 Old 03-21-2018, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Send a message via Skype™ to Tuan
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarky100 View Post
How powerful does your PC need to be to play frame packed 3D on this projector? I am currently running a Atom based PC running the MVC version of Kodi on another Optoma projector without any problems
You need a graphics card that supports quad-buffered professional stereo 3D, ie Nvidia Quadro. What Atom system are you using?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #754 of 1518 Old 03-21-2018, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 27
That PJC review is not what I was expecting.

This damn thing keeps bringing me back in.
JRock3x8 likes this.
post #755 of 1518 Old 03-22-2018, 03:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelittle View Post

I have to believe there are some defective units out there. The noise has been demonstrated again and again and it's definitely not silent from the people who are complaining about it.

switching topics - I started doing a side by side comparing the 1070 review and the UHD 50 review and brightness for Cinema and bright modes measures out almost identical.

Contrast is really difficult to draw comparisons.

What they said about 1070 : "Contrast and black level. As a home video projector, black level is not the W1070's main focus. Indeed, compared to home theater projectors, even HT projectors in the same price range, black level is only so-so. However, that doesn't mean that the projector's overall contrast is weak. Dynamic range is sufficient to maintain excellent separation in shadows, even with ambient light in the room. Gamma, while not as adjustable as we'd like (it uses a list of presets rather than a true adjustment tool), is accurate. If you find the image a touch anemic in ambient light, using a higher gamma setting will give the image some more punch. The 2.4 setting is great in low ambient light."

What they say about UHD50 : "Contrast is best described as adequate. It is sufficient to avoid muddiness in shadow details, but not as high as one might expect from a projector with a contrast rating of 500,000:1, and not as high as home theater projectors in the higher price ranges. On the other hand, when a largely black image appears such as a title screen or rolling credits, the black level is quite solid and satisfying."

Also later they say : "Due to the incrementally deeper black level on the UHD50 compared to its direct competitors, this dark frame is darker and dimmer on the UHD50 than on the others"

I struggle with getting anything meaningful out of that.

Finally, they seem to say that this is the best 4k budget PJ in their opening but then they gave the Viewsonic the editor's choice award and they don't for this PJ. I find that inconsistent at best.
post #756 of 1518 Old 03-22-2018, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked: 577
JRock3x8: You are going to give yourself a mind freak if you don't stop analyzing this to death...lol. Ha,ha, I'm already with you on this. You just have to get one in hand and see for yourself, like I'm going to do this weekend.
Tuan, sage11x and xpostal like this.
post #757 of 1518 Old 03-22-2018, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Send a message via Skype™ to Tuan
Quote:

JRock3x8, xpostal and unretarded like this.
post #758 of 1518 Old 03-22-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Heh.

Watching for more.

I'd love it if someone did a side by side PQ of the W1070. J and I are in the same boat still...
JRock3x8 likes this.
post #759 of 1518 Old 03-22-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
I have to believe there are some defective units out there. The noise has been demonstrated again and again and it's definitely not silent from the people who are complaining about it.

switching topics - I started doing a side by side comparing the 1070 review and the UHD 50 review and brightness for Cinema and bright modes measures out almost identical.

Contrast is really difficult to draw comparisons.

What they said about 1070 : "Contrast and black level. As a home video projector, black level is not the W1070's main focus. Indeed, compared to home theater projectors, even HT projectors in the same price range, black level is only so-so. However, that doesn't mean that the projector's overall contrast is weak. Dynamic range is sufficient to maintain excellent separation in shadows, even with ambient light in the room. Gamma, while not as adjustable as we'd like (it uses a list of presets rather than a true adjustment tool), is accurate. If you find the image a touch anemic in ambient light, using a higher gamma setting will give the image some more punch. The 2.4 setting is great in low ambient light."

What they say about UHD50 : "Contrast is best described as adequate. It is sufficient to avoid muddiness in shadow details, but not as high as one might expect from a projector with a contrast rating of 500,000:1, and not as high as home theater projectors in the higher price ranges. On the other hand, when a largely black image appears such as a title screen or rolling credits, the black level is quite solid and satisfying."

Also later they say : "Due to the incrementally deeper black level on the UHD50 compared to its direct competitors, this dark frame is darker and dimmer on the UHD50 than on the others"

I struggle with getting anything meaningful out of that.

Finally, they seem to say that this is the best 4k budget PJ in their opening but then they gave the Viewsonic the editor's choice award and they don't for this PJ. I find that inconsistent at best.
Good post.

So strange.

No idea what's real.
post #760 of 1518 Old 03-22-2018, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Could i beg of you to repeat that exercise with the decibel x app and take screenshots at 6”, 3’ and 6’ away?

Screenshots are attached. I would like to reiterate though that I believe the high pitch/frequency is what makes the sound more noticeable to people, not the sheer volume. As others have previously stated, I think you need to hear it in person to really determine whether or not you can live with it. For me personally, I don't have a dedicated theater environment so the ambient noise level in the room is enough to drown out the noise 95% of the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6 Feet.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	959.0 KB
ID:	2378854   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Feet.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	940.4 KB
ID:	2378856   Click image for larger version

Name:	6 Inches.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	937.7 KB
ID:	2378858  
JRock3x8 likes this.
post #761 of 1518 Old 03-22-2018, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
JRock3x8: You are going to give yourself a mind freak if you don't stop analyzing this to death...lol. Ha,ha, I'm already with you on this. You just have to get one in hand and see for yourself, like I'm going to do this weekend.

I’ve already decided. I’m in. It’s just a matter of money and time. In the mean time it’s fun to talk about.

post #762 of 1518 Old 03-22-2018, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabunga View Post
Screenshots are attached. I would like to reiterate though that I believe the high pitch/frequency is what makes the sound more noticeable to people, not the sheer volume. As others have previously stated, I think you need to hear it in person to really determine whether or not you can live with it. For me personally, I don't have a dedicated theater environment so the ambient noise level in the room is enough to drown out the noise 95% of the time.

Thank you.

post #763 of 1518 Old 03-22-2018, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Heh.

Watching for more.

I'd love it if someone did a side by side PQ of the W1070. J and I are in the same boat still...

I’m not on the fence. I’m in. But the uhd51a isn’t out yet and I would like to hear more people who are not bothered by the buzz.

post #764 of 1518 Old 03-22-2018, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
I look forward to your comments, 3DBob. Hopefully, you will be able to post some photos demonstrating contrast and HDR, along with your comments.

The 2050a Visual Apex sent me was a lemon. I've decided to return it, rather than replace it. Given the positive review from Projector Central, I'm back on the fence. If more reports suggest the UHD50/51a contrast is similar to the w1070, I can live with that in exchange for the higher resolution. Most of my video collection is in 4K, and comments from the HT2550 thread suggest the trade-off is a good one.
post #765 of 1518 Old 03-22-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I’m still in for 51a. Just a matter of time.

If you're holding out for the UHD51a for the Alexa support, I have mine working with both Google Home and Alexa using a $50 Logitech Harmony Hub and IFTTT. Beats the $200 upgrade cost for native support and allows you to roll your AVR and other HT devices into the same voice commands as well.
post #766 of 1518 Old 03-22-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
If you're holding out for the UHD51a for the Alexa support, I have mine working with both Google Home and Alexa using a $50 Logitech Harmony Hub and IFTTT. Beats the $200 upgrade cost for native support and allows you to roll your AVR and other HT devices into the same voice commands as well.
It's the frame-packed 3D and frame interpolation that makes the UHD51a worth the extra $200.
JRock3x8 and xpostal like this.
post #767 of 1518 Old 03-22-2018, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Could care less about Alexa. Need/want 3D.

post #768 of 1518 Old 03-22-2018, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just to expand on earlier comments re buying decision. A budget friendly 4k competent PJ is a no brained for me. I have a 12’ wide screen that I project on to. I sit less than 10’ from that screen. The upgrade from resolution alone will be obvious and huge.

Now the question is when and how much do I have to pay. The uhd51a is not out yet so that makes my buying decision a little easier for the moment.

I don’t know that I will pre order or take delivery on day 1. I’ve been burned enough at this point to let other people figure out the bugs before I buy. I’m 43, I’m a finance manager and an MBA student- I don’t have time or patience to monkey around with things. Needs to be perfect out of the box.

Now at some point I will either gather enough favorable reviews or someone will decide to break street price and I will buy. I have no idea when that will happen and I sort of don’t care. But at some point I will reach a point where the juice is worth the squeeze and I will buy.

There simply are no other choices and nothing is in the pipe. Benq did tease a short throw of the HT2550 but they have gone radio silent on that. Also it will probably cost more and do less than the UHD50 so maybe not on benq.

So like I said I’m in. It’s just a question of when. Either a lot of great reviews or a price break will pull the trigger for me.

post #769 of 1518 Old 03-22-2018, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked: 2741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McPherson View Post
I look forward to your comments, 3DBob. Hopefully, you will be able to post some photos demonstrating contrast and HDR, along with your comments.

The 2050a Visual Apex sent me was a lemon. I've decided to return it, rather than replace it. Given the positive review from Projector Central, I'm back on the fence. If more reports suggest the UHD50/51a contrast is similar to the w1070, I can live with that in exchange for the higher resolution. Most of my video collection is in 4K, and comments from the HT2550 thread suggest the trade-off is a good one.
I would caution you on one aspect and encourage you on another.

The UHD50 isn't going to come close to the HT2050A on contrast or black levels and I can say that confidently as neither the UHD60 or UHD65 can touch the HT2050A on contrast/blacks. With the HT2050A, BenQ has quietly produced maybe the best 1080p bargain on the planet. It's that good. On the other hand, I tend to watch everything on the 4k HT2550 now despite the significant step back in contrast/blacks. It sounds like the Optoma does better in this area than the BenQ-- so much the better. The truth is my brain kind of forgets about the lack of contrast and blacks but when going back to the HT2050a, despite the significant advantages it has in many areas, I have a harder time forgetting about that extra degree of clarity and detail. The best way I can put it is: with 1080p (now) I always feel like I'm missing something.

Which is where I give a word of caution: 4K is addictive. While I doubt someone who owns a Sony 45ES (for example) will be happy with one of these DLPs that has comparatively pathetic contrast what I CAN guarantee is they'll never look at their Sony the same way again. I've flat out ruined 1080p for a good many people with this projector.
sparky7 and xpostal like this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #770 of 1518 Old 03-22-2018, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Also you should talk to my wife. Or I should show her this. You guys could go on for hours on this topic alone. I’m a wonderfully complex human being, sometimes with a side of maddening over analyzing frustration.

3DBob likes this.
post #771 of 1518 Old 03-22-2018, 04:14 PM
Kid

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
...With the HT2050A, BenQ has quietly produced maybe the best 1080p bargain on the planet. It's that good...
Dear sage11x;
better than the Epson HC 3100/3700? The 3100 is currently $999, has lots of brightness (I really like a bright image) and is loaded with features (CFI, Super Resolution, good throw, H-V lens shift...). By the way, you can find the Benq HT4050 for the same price.
I feel maybe it's better to wait one more year for a good affordable 4K projector and just upgrade to a good old 1080p.
Thanx!

KID
Colorado Doente
post #772 of 1518 Old 03-22-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Which is where I give a word of caution: 4K is addictive.
Yup, that's the problem. My 4K/HDR television has ruined 1080p/SDR for me. As much as I recognize the benefits of great contrast, ever since I bought my 4k/HDR TV, I am always disappointed when I watch a film on my w1070.

If I continue to see evidence that contrast on the UHD51a can at least match the photos of Planet Earth II that you posted in the HT2550 thread, resolution is going to win out for me. We all have our priorities.

Either way, it will be a huge trade-off. But that's life on the cutting edge.
sage11x likes this.
post #773 of 1518 Old 03-22-2018, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I find my 49” tcl s Series completely underwhelming.

post #774 of 1518 Old 03-23-2018, 03:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

scoured the rest of the 1070 and UHD50 PJCentral reviews - didn't find anything else that would be a fair comparison or relevant.
post #775 of 1518 Old 03-23-2018, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 3787 Post(s)
Liked: 3001
Quote:
... With the HT2050A, BenQ has quietly produced maybe the best 1080p bargain on the planet. It's that good. ...
I would remove "quietly" from your description. From the W1070 forward BenQ's <$1,000 projectors have been widely praised and recommended. I thought long and hard about an HT2050 before deciding to spend more than twice as much on a Sony HW45ES. I still say that if I had gone with the HT2050 I would have been satisfied. Yes, the HW45ES is better, but dollar for dollar the HT2050 and now the HT2050A will be the sweet spot for price/performance for a huge number of projector buyers.

Since this is an Optoma thread I will say that Optoma does seem to be chipping away at the big lead BenQ had over everyone else. There are some performance areas where Optoma models are starting to be rated higher than comparable BenQ models. But that's the way a competitive industry works. One company pulls ahead and others work harder to close the gap. Unlike LCoS and 3LCD where companies design and produce their own panels, all of these DLP projector companies are starting with the same TI DLP chipset with identical capabilities. So it comes down to who can best implement peripherals and firmware to take full advantage of the chipset's capabilities, and in a highly competitive industry overall performance differences should be small.
sage11x likes this.
post #776 of 1518 Old 03-23-2018, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked: 2741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid View Post
Dear sage11x;

better than the Epson HC 3100/3700? The 3100 is currently $999, has lots of brightness (I really like a bright image) and is loaded with features (CFI, Super Resolution, good throw, H-V lens shift...). By the way, you can find the Benq HT4050 for the same price.

I feel maybe it's better to wait one more year for a good affordable 4K projector and just upgrade to a good old 1080p.

Thanx!

I don’t want to get off topic in this thread so I PM’d you.
JRock3x8 likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #777 of 1518 Old 03-23-2018, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Tuan with a good sense of humor, nice to see that here.

I joined the happy Optoma owners.
Tuan likes this.
post #778 of 1518 Old 03-23-2018, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked: 577
I was able to preview the UHD50 today against my Optoma HD29Darbee 1080p projector and have some interesting results.

-First, it's a bright projector, and it goes into bright mode with Dynamic Black on. It's almost as bright as my HD29 that is supposed to be 3,200 lumens versus the UHD50 at 2,400 lumens. That is good news.
-It can be made to look like my HD29 in contrast, but then the blacks are crushed slightly hiding detail.
-It does enhance 1080p cable to some extent, but you need to up the sharpness to get a crisp look. That said the XPR does make the image softer--not less detail--just smoother looking.
-You CANNOT disable the 4k XPR function for 1080p; at least I could not find that function like you can on the Benq HT2550, so the XPR is always on.
-It is as quiet as my HD29. Yes there is a slight hum, but along with the fan, I found it very low, and a non-event.
-It is definitely a short throw. I have a 160" screen with a useable gain of about 2.0 and the lens of the UHD50 is 14 feet from the screen. The lens from my HD29 is 18 feet away. I always have it as close as the zoom will allow. So that should great news for you short-throw fans.
-I hooked up my Samsung 4K bluray player, and "tried" to watch some 4K youtube videos. I used a 25 foot hdmi cable that I used to hook the player up to an Epson 5040 and Optoma 65 that I previewed last summer. Well, this bugger, has a handshake issue with 4K. I looked at the manual and they suggest
‡"[email protected] suggests using the HDMI cable under 5 meters.
‡ [email protected]/25Hz/24Hz suggests using the HDMI cable under 15 meters."
I was trying to do [email protected] so the cable could be too long. I gave up on youtube, it would go in and out of sync. I put a 4K disc in the player --Passengers-- and it played on and off and on and off and on and off----ugh. So I need to get another cable. As it was playing, though, I at least got a good glimpse of 4K movie watching. The detail was excellent, but the starfields at the beginning were washed out slightly ruining the effect. It was in HDR mode as well. Oh, and the 24hz was amazingly good. The judder was well within my "ugh zone", so that was surprising. I then switched back to my HD29 and looked at the movie in 3D at 1080p, and I could not see much difference in detail, and the black star field was nicer. The only difference I saw, was in the 4K version the spaceship had more finite detail while in the starfield, while the HD29 had the detail hidden in the contrast...hmmm. Over all, I liked the 3D version better because of the 3D depth and the detail, except for the space view of the spaceship, was just as good.
-And finally, the border--oh yeah, I had forgotten to look for it until I was about to shut the UHD50 down. My screen has a 3" black border around it, and beyond that is a darkbrown wall. I could hardly see it. I had to really look for it. It was a "meh" moment. It definitely was not something distracting. I could see if you had a much smaller screen with a light wall behind it, it might be an issue, but dark wall--nope.

I couldn't get any pictures because of the unstable 4K sync. I'm going to get a better cable this weekend and try to get a better sync next week and take some pics. So far, I'm not sure the 4K is worth it, since most of my movie watching is 3D. For cable tv, my HD29 does a great job as well.

More to come...
post #779 of 1518 Old 03-23-2018, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Send a message via Skype™ to Sonisame
I am in for UHD51a with all the positive reviews for UHD50, hopefully some of the minor issues highlighted in this thread get partially resolved in UHD51A release hopefully by end of next month. Mits HC3800 lasted me close to 8 yrs with two lamps.

Sonisame
post #780 of 1518 Old 03-23-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
[B]
-I hooked up my Samsung 4K bluray player, and "tried" to watch some 4K youtube videos. I used a 25 foot hdmi cable that I used to hook the player up to an Epson 5040 and Optoma 65 that I previewed last summer. Well, this bugger, has a handshake issue with 4K. I looked at the manual and they suggest
‡"[email protected] suggests using the HDMI cable under 5 meters.
‡ [email protected]/25Hz/24Hz suggests using the HDMI cable under 15 meters."
I was trying to do [email protected] so the cable could be too long.
If you haven't bought a new one yet, I'm using the latest AmazonBasics 25ft 18Gbps HDMI cable between my AVR and the UHD50 and it's working great so far for [email protected] including disc-based HDR content. No handshake issues at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page