AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1861 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangePhile View Post
What's our alternative?
there isn't an alternative - that's the only reason I still have mine. If BenQ were to release a 2550A with matching throw, I might return this (I can return through the 31st)

but the common denominator is the XPR chip and they all hum/buzz like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 1548 Old 12-28-2018, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
there isn't an alternative - that's the only reason I still have mine. If BenQ were to release a 2550A with matching throw, I might return this (I can return through the 31st)

but the common denominator is the XPR chip and they all hum/buzz like that.
Regarding alternatives, if I didn't get my UHD50 for such a great price and had the room to place the height size of the Epson 4000 cabinet, I think I would choose that over these XPR chips. From reviews, I think I would prefer the wider color gamut and better optics, vs sometimes slightly noticeable better resolution of XPR. It would be great to have the auto lens change for wider movies as well.

Also, not happy about the light border of these projectors. I finally have a nicer looking framed screen up instead of the poster type board I had up for years, and it is pretty much negated by the light border which exceeds it. With the Epson, I would have taken down the screen, removed wall paper, and painted the wall, so I could have wide movies auto displaying with a bigger image.

There is a good review of Epson 4000 vs UHD60 on Projector Central. The Epson to me looks to be the clear winner from that. I think I might be seeing rainbows as well, I need to shift or blink my eyes a bit in fast moving or panning scenes.

But the UHD50 is gorgeous. I have had a lot to figure out. I think some of my initial impressions were possibly not even driving at 4K because I had PC outputs simultaneously going to my W1070 and UHD50, and from what I can tell it may have been driving both outputs to the lowest res.
post #1293 of 1548 Old 12-28-2018, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

no other PJ has the short throw that this one does. Actually there is an Acer knock off of this PJ and a Dell UST that costs $5,000 - oh and a Optoma ST which has a fixed throw.

so. those are the alternatives.

The UHD60 and Epson 4000 would mean a smaller screen for me and no way jose on that. Screen size is the whole reason I have a theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1294 of 1548 Old 12-28-2018, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if this has been discussed before. Im interested in how people have setup this projector with an Apple TV 4k. eg. Have you enabled 4k HDR mode in the video settings or are you running SDR mode and are relying on match range. Thanks
post #1295 of 1548 Old 12-29-2018, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
no other PJ has the short throw that this one does. Actually there is an Acer knock off of this PJ and a Dell UST that costs $5,000 - oh and a Optoma ST which has a fixed throw.

so. those are the alternatives.

The UHD60 and Epson 4000 would mean a smaller screen for me and no way jose on that. Screen size is the whole reason I have a theater.
The Epson has a really flexible throw distance, but you are right, takes about one more foot for 100" screen. I think it would have worked for me, had the body been short enough to fit into my duct frame cubby hole.
post #1296 of 1548 Old 12-30-2018, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I don't get it. There's an "Official Optima UHD51" site, but none for the UHD50, which is less expensive!

Is there any trick to starting an "Official" site for your new projector, or do you just "Do It?"
I'd be happy to start one if I knew what the proper procedure is.

I for one really like this projector! I've read a couple of real put-downs of it on the internet, but I feel if you can make it work for you it really is an amazing buy! In the last twenty years I've owned six projectors, starting with the over $6,000 Sony 10HT. I can't believe what a teriffic picture you can get now for very few dollars, thanks to the new DLP chip.
post #1297 of 1548 Old 01-01-2019, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by William L Carman View Post
I don't get it. There's an "Official Optima UHD51" site, but none for the UHD50, which is less expensive!

Is there any trick to starting an "Official" site for your new projector, or do you just "Do It?"
I'd be happy to start one if I knew what the proper procedure is.
Not sure what you're talking about when you say Official Optoma UHD51 site, cause there isn't any. If you're referring to the thread they have for that pj, I agree. This thread for the UHD50 should be locked and archived cause the first 25 pages or so are crammed with useless posts, and a new one should definitely be started.
post #1298 of 1548 Old 01-01-2019, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedWings View Post
My guess is a faulty cable. This projector seems to be fairly fussy about which cables work.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thank you, I changed the cables and it works perfectly now.

When I use the grid test pattern in my projector settings, I notice that the top horizontal line is straight and that the intersecting lines at the top left, top right and bottom right corners meet at right angles. However, I noticed that the bottom horizontal line is curved and this becomes more apparent especially when watching movies because the black bar at the bottom is about 7" high to the far left and 8" high to the far right so it slants up towards the bottom right corner. Shoudn't the intersecting lines at the corners of the grid pattern be perpendicular regardless of zoom or other settings (I am not using keystone or image shifting)? Can anyone guide me and let me know why this is happening? My initial thought was keystoning however I don't believe this is the case since this slant is only happening on the bottom and not on the top nor is it a trapezoidal figure. I apologize in advance if this is a "noob" question but as with any new projector owner, I am constantly learning!

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
post #1299 of 1548 Old 01-02-2019, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I’ve been using the out of the box settings - anyone using something different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1300 of 1548 Old 01-02-2019, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Wink There IS an "Official Optima UHD51A" site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condojector View Post
Not sure what you're talking about when you say Official Optoma UHD51 site, cause there isn't any. If you're referring to the thread they have for that pj, I agree. This thread for the UHD50 should be locked and archived cause the first 25 pages or so are crammed with useless posts, and a new one should definitely be started.
There IS an Official UHD51A site. Go back to the "Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP" page, and scroll down. Ken McPherson started it in July of 2018. There are pages 1 & 2. I just think it hasn't been used in a while, so that's why it's so far down the page.
post #1301 of 1548 Old 01-04-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William L Carman View Post
There IS an Official UHD51A site. Go back to the "Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP" page, and scroll down. Ken McPherson started it in July of 2018. There are pages 1 & 2. I just think it hasn't been used in a while, so that's why it's so far down the page.
That's called a thread
post #1302 of 1548 Old 01-09-2019, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Can anyone recommend a 9m (30 feet) HDMI cable that will reliably connect my projector to my amp at the top quality setting of this projector at 4K 60Hz? I would be much obliged!
post #1303 of 1548 Old 01-09-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie88 View Post
Can anyone recommend a 9m (30 feet) HDMI cable that will reliably connect my projector to my amp at the top quality setting of this projector at 4K 60Hz? I would be much obliged!

I use the monoprice 18GBps cable without issues.

post #1304 of 1548 Old 01-09-2019, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie88 View Post

For that length I suggest a fiber optic cable. I bought a 50 ft one from Monoprice, it works as expected.

post #1305 of 1548 Old 01-09-2019, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
I use the monoprice 18GBps cable without issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangePhile View Post
For that length I suggest a fiber optic cable. I bought a 50 ft one from Monoprice, it works as expected.

Thanks guys, just what I need. Very much appreciated!
post #1306 of 1548 Old 01-13-2019, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Hi guys I have decided to return my BenQ HT2550 for this model instead.

I have never owned a projector before so I'm all new to this. Can someone please steer me in the right direction as far as settings for this projector.
post #1307 of 1548 Old 01-16-2019, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quick question for UHD50 owners, does the remote need to be within a couple feet to turn the projector on? You have to be very close for my current projector to turn on and it drives me nuts. Thanks in advance.

Check out my just over $5K theater build thread
neverfinished's neverfinished theater
post #1308 of 1548 Old 01-16-2019, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverfinished94 View Post
Quick question for UHD50 owners, does the remote need to be within a couple feet to turn the projector on? You have to be very close for my current projector to turn on and it drives me nuts. Thanks in advance.

Nope

post #1309 of 1548 Old 01-18-2019, 02:52 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedWings View Post
Calibration is key to getting the most from this projector. Performance out of the box is very underwhelming. I'm actually quite satisfied now with it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
would be nice if someone actually posted their calibrated settings for others to test/try/comment on
please
post #1310 of 1548 Old 01-18-2019, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Optoma UHD50

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakwood49 View Post
would be nice if someone actually posted their calibrated settings for others to test/try/comment on

please

Second. @ZedWings

post #1311 of 1548 Old 01-18-2019, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello folks quick question for you....Why does my projector switch aspect or size of screen when I go from DirecTv to Xbox in 4k? Kind of annoying it if I set my screen to be filled with the DirecTV if I switch to Xbox 4K it becomes larger than my screen. Any help is appreciated.
post #1312 of 1548 Old 01-19-2019, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

For any body that has this projector - what mount are using it for it?

If you can provide me with a link to it on amazon I would be grateful!
post #1313 of 1548 Old 01-19-2019, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the7mcs View Post
For any body that has this projector - what mount are using it for it?

If you can provide me with a link to it on amazon I would be grateful!

Peerless prg-unv

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #1314 of 1548 Old 01-19-2019, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Peerless prg-unv

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
thanks for the quick reply and I was actually able to find it on Amazon which is great because that's where I get a lot of stuff from. It is a little bit too pricey though.

I have never even mounted a projector before and was confused when I didn't see any mounting screws on this particular model until I read some where they are actually located on the bottom. I see 3 small holes that kinda form a triangle towards the middle and some larger holes that on the edges - I believe I can use any one of those right? Will something like this cheaper one work? I had ordered it and just canceled the order and figure I'd save myself time and energy by asking here first before re-ordering it again.

https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Universa...tronics&sr=1-3

I'm also using a portable screen like this one, would ceiling mounting a projector be a no-no in this situation since the screen is on the ground rather than dropping down from a wall or ceiling? I know most people use wall or ceiling mounted screens so mine is a bit of a odd situation.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001N2N6U0...v_ov_lig_dp_it
post #1315 of 1548 Old 01-19-2019, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So first of all - all pj mounts suck - they are all a giant pain in the butt

Peerless makes it a little bit easier on you in that you can easily adjust the tilt left to right and the tilt forward and back with two knobs

Other mounts don’t have that so you have to hope like hell that you got it right and then you go to tighten the screw and darn it now the image is off half an inch, so you go back and fix it and now its off in the other direction.

Squaring up an image on a screen is probably my least favorite part of home theater. If you’re patient and you keep working with it and ESPECIALLY if you use black velvet tape around your screen (does an awesome job of hiding your mistakes) then you can probably get away with the cheaper mount.

But do yourself a favor and go to the atm to get $20 to put in the curse jar because you’re going to need it.

Good luck.

post #1316 of 1548 Old 01-19-2019, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So first of all - all pj mounts suck - they are all a giant pain in the butt

Peerless makes it a little bit easier on you in that you can easily adjust the tilt left to right and the tilt forward and back with two knobs

Other mounts don’t have that so you have to hope like hell that you got it right and then you go to tighten the screw and darn it now the image is off half an inch, so you go back and fix it and now its off in the other direction.

Squaring up an image on a screen is probably my least favorite part of home theater. If you’re patient and you keep working with it and ESPECIALLY if you use black velvet tape around your screen (does an awesome job of hiding your mistakes) then you can probably get away with the cheaper mount.

But do yourself a favor and go to the atm to get $20 to put in the curse jar because you’re going to need it.

Good luck.

DUDE....... you are NOT lying!!
Like I said prior above I have never owned a projector before and oh my goodness was it hard and difficult trying to get the image squared up. Something I had never even initially paid much attention to before because I never had a projector to worry about it. Luckily I had my projector on a table top that wasn't even because of the carpeting and it was tough. That's why I'm thinking going the ceiling mount so if I get it right I can just set it up and forget never having to hassle with that again.
post #1317 of 1548 Old 01-20-2019, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Optoma UHD50

Quote:
Originally Posted by the7mcs View Post
DUDE....... you are NOT lying!!

Like I said prior above I have never owned a projector before and oh my goodness was it hard and difficult trying to get the image squared up. Something I had never even initially paid much attention to before because I never had a projector to worry about it. Luckily I had my projector on a table top that wasn't even because of the carpeting and it was tough. That's why I'm thinking going the ceiling mount so if I get it right I can just set it up and forget never having to hassle with that again.

Ceiling mounts are 10x worse. Like I said find the curse jar ahead of time.

So honestly the hardest part is getting the lens dead center of the screen. Keep in mind where you attach the mount to the ceiling may not be where the lens is.

That’s honestly half the battle.

And then the UHD50 is heavy as fart.

post #1318 of 1548 Old 01-24-2019, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quick PSA

I recently got a UHD50 when it was around the 1000 dollar mark over the Holidays and just now got it going. My setup includes Marantz 4k hdmi passthrough receiver, roku ultra, xbox one x. Initially i tried the active/passive hdmi, since my run needed to be be around 35ft. "No Source found" was all that i would get. Some troubleshooting led me to that HDMI cable. Secondly i tried a thicker active/passive cable and the source was found "So i thought" as now I was having all sorts of weird issues of gray rips on the on the picture, going from menus the resolution would go back and forth, source not available popups.

I had a previous viewsonic and never had this issue. Was it the projector?

I then decided to order the old hdmi cables i had for my Viewsonic. Monoprice Certified 4k 18Gbps cables https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15430 i had to rearrange some things, since they only went to 30 foot.

All in all i got them swapped out last night and no weird issues regarding ANYTHING. Xbox and Roku switched to different resolutions quick and easy now.

So PSA if you are having weird issues its highly likely your HDMI cables.

Also does anyone have any picture settings they would like to share?
post #1319 of 1548 Old 01-27-2019, 01:20 PM

Optoma UHD50 already having issues less than 2 months owned

I have not even owned my brand new UHD50 for 2 months and it is now randomly shutting off during usage. After it goes black from these random shut offs, the power light indicator starts flashing and the bulb light indicator remains lit. Prior to this issue, I noticed a very subtle flicker that would occur maybe once every 10 min or so usually when I had something white on the screen, but now that is happening as well at a greater frequency. The first month of ownership I experienced none of these issues at all, and nothing in my configuration nor setup has changed. I thought maybe it was my 4K HDMI cable but I tried another and it made no difference. Not a great way to start things off.
post #1320 of 1548 Old 01-29-2019, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Send a message via Skype™ to Tuan
UHD50 C06 firmware was just posted under Downloads - https://www.optoma.com/us/product/uhd50/

Release notes
  • Resolve Split Screen issue after sync (half of image is black) with some sources devices such as Xbox One S and Xbox One X.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page