Optoma UHD50 - Page 52 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 524Likes

post #1531 of 1555 Old 11-02-2019, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just hooked up my uhd50 as my first projector and it’s awesome. My question is, what do you use for basic calibration. Specifically making sure that I am 100% in focus. I feel like I am, I just want to be sure. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1555 Old 11-02-2019, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilditty View Post
Just hooked up my uhd50 as my first projector and it’s awesome. My question is, what do you use for basic calibration. Specifically making sure that I am 100% in focus. I feel like I am, I just want to be sure. Thanks!
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...libration.html
post #1533 of 1555 Old 11-02-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1534 of 1555 Old 11-02-2019, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutzulee View Post
When I look at the comparison of this projector against my HD25-LV from the link above, it says that my older model has 10 bit color while this projector only does 8bit.
Is this a mistake? My primary reason for upgrading is that I want to be able to play my 4K HDR backups from my NVIDIA SHIELD without buying a second 4K player for downstairs.
That is a mistake. The UHD50 when fed a 10/12bit 4K HDR source processes it in at least 10bit colour.
post #1535 of 1555 Old 11-03-2019, 11:52 AM

Any idea to get the projector to turn off with Logitech Harmony remote? When I start a routine, projector turns on fine. When I power off everything, I just get the "press power again to turn off" pop up so I have to grab the projector remote and turn it off that way. Thanks!
post #1536 of 1555 Old 11-04-2019, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I went through pages of this thread and it seems the buzz/noise from UHD50 is bothersome. I watched the videos that someone recorded and it does sound loud. At the same time reviews call this one of the quietest units in it's price range for 4K ( I know it's not "true" 4K) pjs. Are there any comparable but quieter units?
post #1537 of 1555 Old 11-04-2019, 10:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ82 View Post
I went through pages of this thread and it seems the buzz/noise from UHD50 is bothersome. I watched the videos that someone recorded and it does sound loud. At the same time reviews call this one of the quietest units in it's price range for 4K ( I know it's not "true" 4K) pjs. Are there any comparable but quieter units?
Noisy 4K XPR actuators indicate a defective unit.
post #1538 of 1555 Old 11-05-2019, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
My UHD 50 is one of the quietest projectors I have ever owned--no buzzing of any kind; even the fan is very quiet. As DunMunro suggests, buzzing is a sign of a faulty unit. I had to return 2 projectors for a fault (not buzzing) related to the actuators. Optoma soak-tested a new unit before sendng me the replacement. I think the QA process on this unit could use some tweaking.

All the best,

Brian
post #1539 of 1555 Old 11-05-2019, 08:28 AM

Customer Service Feedback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansxx View Post
My UHD 50 is one of the quietest projectors I have ever owned--no buzzing of any kind; even the fan is very quiet. As DunMunro suggests, buzzing is a sign of a faulty unit. I had to return 2 projectors for a fault (not buzzing) related to the actuators. Optoma soak-tested a new unit before sendng me the replacement. I think the QA process on this unit could use some tweaking.

All the best,

Brian
Thanks! How good is their customer service in dealing with these issues? How quick is the turn around? I suppose these things are covered under warranty?
post #1540 of 1555 Old 11-05-2019, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks! How good is their customer service in dealing with these issues? How quick is the turn around? I suppose these things are covered under warranty?
I found them very helpful and responsive. I waited about a week to get the replacement PJ as they soak tested it (I had 2 projectors with the same issue and they wanted to make sure the replacement was working correctly).

All the best,

Brian
post #1541 of 1555 Old 11-05-2019, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
Off is not enough. The red light needs to turn off so the unit can completely reset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTW, my issue was fixed when I removed then reinstalled the same lamp. Clearly it just needed to be reseated.

post #1542 of 1555 Old 11-05-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
I found them very helpful and responsive. I waited about a week to get the replacement PJ as they soak tested it (I had 2 projectors with the same issue and they wanted to make sure the replacement was working correctly).

All the best,

Brian
Thanks! I hope they pay for shipping the faulty unit back and forth. I read on Amazon review that customer had to pay out of pocket to send it out for repair.
post #1543 of 1555 Old 11-05-2019, 10:46 AM

Question Screen Pairing?

I have a question regarding this projector and screen. As per projector central my 120 inch screen will be have to be around 12ft away from projector. The output on 1 gain screen is 27fl . Is that too much for a darkish room ( one small window to be covered by blackout curtain). Would I be better off buying a lower gain screen? I am looking at silver ticket fixed frame . I really wanted to get a pull down but I heard it's subjected to waves unless I pay a lot !
post #1544 of 1555 Old 11-05-2019, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks! I hope they pay for shipping the faulty unit back and forth. I read on Amazon review that customer had to pay out of pocket to send it out for repair.
Yeah...unfortunately, you do have to pay for return shipping, but you do not pay shipping on the replacement unit. I had to return 2 units--pretty salty!

All the best,

Brian
post #1545 of 1555 Old 11-05-2019, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have a question regarding this projector and screen. As per projector central my 120 inch screen will be have to be around 12ft away from projector. The output on 1 gain screen is 27fl . Is that too much for a darkish room ( one small window to be covered by blackout curtain). Would I be better off buying a lower gain screen? I am looking at silver ticket fixed frame . I really wanted to get a pull down but I heard it's subjected to waves unless I pay a lot !
That's a good value for HDR content. If you find it too bright you can switch to reference mode and/or turn down the Brilliant Color setting.
AJ82 likes this.
post #1546 of 1555 Old 11-05-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Yeah...unfortunately, you do have to pay for return shipping, but you do not pay shipping on the replacement unit. I had to return 2 units--pretty salty!

All the best,

Brian
That sucks. If I have to pay 50$ each time I send it back it just adds to the cost and pushes the price up plus the lost time not having a working projector. I hope I get a good unit to begin with ! Lets hope BF comes up with good deal on it.
post #1547 of 1555 Old 11-07-2019, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Ok, I was going to pickup the UHD50, when an incredible deal for the UHD51A fell in my lap..I just got the projector home and mounted.
I'm in the process of setting it up but for the life of me I can't get HDR to work. The projector is picking up all kinds of 4k resolutions up to 120hz but the little button for HDR preset is greyed out.
I've found an HDR setting that allows me to toggle between AUTO and OFF but the setting below it related to HDR is also greyed out.
I'm trying to test 4K HDR rips played from an NVIDIA SHIELD.. they play at 4k 24hz but are all washed out and I see nothing that indicates HDR when the resolution switches.
post #1548 of 1555 Old 11-07-2019, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutzulee View Post
Ok, I was going to pickup the UHD50, when an incredible deal for the UHD51A fell in my lap..I just got the projector home and mounted.
I'm in the process of setting it up but for the life of me I can't get HDR to work. The projector is picking up all kinds of 4k resolutions up to 120hz but the little button for HDR preset is greyed out.
I've found an HDR setting that allows me to toggle between AUTO and OFF but the setting below it related to HDR is also greyed out.
I'm trying to test 4K HDR rips played from an NVIDIA SHIELD.. they play at 4k 24hz but are all washed out and I see nothing that indicates HDR when the resolution switches.

You should probably post this on the UHD51A thread. I would also suggest that you use some 4K HDR videos from youtube for testing. On the UHD50 HDR is always grayed out if the projector doesn't detect an HDR signal. If it does detect an HDR signal it will display the HDR logo and allow you to change the HDR Dynamic range (EOTF) settings: (Bright - standard - film - detail). HDR should always be left on Auto. The info menu will state if the source signal is HDR.

It sounds like there is an issue with the NS handshaking with the UHD51A. Also use a short HDMI cable (~6ft) to ensure that it isn't a cable issue.
crutzulee likes this.
post #1549 of 1555 Old 11-14-2019, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
UHD50 4k Ultra HD Problems

Hi, so having a weird home theater issue Im hoping someone might be able to help me on. Setup is:

Optoma UHD50
Yamaha Receiver, supports 2.2 4K on all HDMI ports

I was looking to add a UltraHD 4K Blu Ray player to be able to play UltraHD 4k discs. I first purchased a Sony UHD player and when connected directly to the 4K port on the projector I get source not found. I connected the UHD player to a different 4k TV in the house and it works fine. Using the same HDMI cable. I talked to Sony support and showed me how to downscale the resolution using the remote control of the UHD player. In 1080p mode the UHD player works. When I changed from 1080p back to 4K mode it goes back to "source not found". I then took back the Sony UHD player and exchanged for an LG model... same thing.

Optoma support hasn't called me back, but wondering if anyone else has seen this. Does anyone have a UltraHD 4K player hooked to their Optoma UHD50 projector? Optoma tech support sounded like it should work, but doesnt seem that way. I've used AppleTV's and the 4K Roku sticks connected to the 4k HDMI port on the Optoma so I know it works with those devices.

Thanks!
post #1550 of 1555 Old 11-14-2019, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 9
What is the length of the cable you are using? My UHD50 is tricky when the cable length increase. I use a Fibre optic cable, 50ft, from monoprice. Also, are you sure you plugged it into the 4k port at the back of the uhd50? They are not both 4k.

post #1551 of 1555 Old 11-14-2019, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mando1 View Post
Hi, so having a weird home theater issue Im hoping someone might be able to help me on. Setup is:

Optoma UHD50
Yamaha Receiver, supports 2.2 4K on all HDMI ports

I was looking to add a UltraHD 4K Blu Ray player to be able to play UltraHD 4k discs. I first purchased a Sony UHD player and when connected directly to the 4K port on the projector I get source not found. I connected the UHD player to a different 4k TV in the house and it works fine. Using the same HDMI cable. I talked to Sony support and showed me how to downscale the resolution using the remote control of the UHD player. In 1080p mode the UHD player works. When I changed from 1080p back to 4K mode it goes back to "source not found". I then took back the Sony UHD player and exchanged for an LG model... same thing.

Optoma support hasn't called me back, but wondering if anyone else has seen this. Does anyone have a UltraHD 4K player hooked to their Optoma UHD50 projector? Optoma tech support sounded like it should work, but doesnt seem that way. I've used AppleTV's and the 4K Roku sticks connected to the 4k HDMI port on the Optoma so I know it works with those devices.

Thanks!
Only HDMI2 is HDMI 2.0 and HDR capable.

There are some settings in the UHD50 menu: Setup->Options-HDMI1EQ or HDMI2EQ which might help resolve HDMI connection issues, but, in general, longer cables tend to have more connection issues.

Which 4K BD player do you have? I would try and test it with a short HDMI (~6ft) cable and see how that goes. I had connection issues with my Sony X700 until I switched to a shorter (10ft) cable.
post #1552 of 1555 Old 11-14-2019, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Only HDMI2 is HDMI 2.0 and HDR capable.

There are some settings in the UHD50 menu: Setup->Options-HDMI1EQ or HDMI2EQ which might help resolve HDMI connection issues, but, in general, longer cables tend to have more connection issues.

Which 4K BD player do you have? I would try and test it with a short HDMI (~6ft) cable and see how that goes. I had connection issues with my Sony X700 until I switched to a shorter (10ft) cable.

Ok, Ill play with those settings. I'm kinda stuck with the longer cable unfortunately with how the line is ran from the ceiling to wall where receiver is. Sony X700 is exactly the unit I returned and was referencing. So other than the cable switch were there settings on the X700 or projector that you had to change for it to play in 4K mode?
post #1553 of 1555 Old 11-14-2019, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mando1 View Post
Ok, Ill play with those settings. I'm kinda stuck with the longer cable unfortunately with how the line is ran from the ceiling to wall where receiver is. Sony X700 is exactly the unit I returned and was referencing. So other than the cable switch were there settings on the X700 or projector that you had to change for it to play in 4K mode?
I would test it with a short cable but you may have to add an another cable to your setup to get 4K 12bit HDR.

No, just the cable. There are various options in the X700 menu but it should work with the default settings.
post #1554 of 1555 Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I've bought a UHD51 but experiencing a noise problem Do you think that it make sense to go for UHD380X instead of a UHD51 replacement? Will be there any game changer difference and does it worth for €210?
post #1555 of 1555 Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chndmrl View Post
I've bought a UHD51 but experiencing a noise problem Do you think that it make sense to go for UHD380X instead of a UHD51 replacement? Will be there any game changer difference and does it worth for €210?
Again, a query for the UHD51 thread. The UHD380X (it is similar to the UHD51ALV) trades brightness for a reduction in colour accuracy but it should still give very good colour. If you have a 120in or larger screen then the UHD380X might be worthwhile.

UHD51ALV review:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...ALV-review.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page