Optoma UHD50 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 519Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 1518 Old 01-04-2018, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Optoma UHD50

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ogy_uhd50.html

Enjoy UHD 4K content with HDR support with the Optoma UHD50 UHD DLP Home Theater Projector. Its 2400 lumens of brightness overcome ambient light in many installations, while its 500,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio helps enhance detail in dark areas of the image. The native 3840 x 2160 resolution helps ensure that text and images are clear. HDR10 compatibility ensures vibrant color reproduction from a compatible source device and content.
The UHD50 has one VGA and two HDMI inputs to support a variety of sources. Both HDMI inputs are MHL-compatible for connecting mobile devices, such as your smartphone or tablet, and the projector has a USB power output to help conserve your device's battery life. Its analog audio input and output allow you to either use the built-in 5W speakers or output your audio to an external system with the optical audio output, a digital audio connection to your receiver or soundbar. The projector is controllable via Ethernet, RS-232, or the included IR remote control.
UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) resolution, plus 2400 lumens of brightness and a 6-segment RGBRGB color wheel Equipped with HDR10 and DCI-P3 wide color gamut support for bright whites, deep blacks, and vivid color Dynamic Black delivers a 500,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio for enhanced black levels HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 offer UHD video bandwidth and device compatibility Vertical lens shift and 1.3x zoom provide flexible installation Two 5W speakers and an optical output to your A/V receiver or soundbar
KingBeef79 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 1518 Old 01-04-2018, 05:43 AM
Member
 
JCP1740's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Conn.
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I have owned 3 Optoma projectors and one sure thing I have noticed is that their specs for lumens and contrast are largely exaggerated in most cases as compared to the industry standards. 2400 lumens is probably close, but 500K contrast I seriously doubt. I have a 142x now and no way is it at the specs they say. Read the reviews/tests before you buy any Optoma product to know what specs you are really getting.
dreamer, sage11x and Justin Walker like this.

JCP. Benq HT3050, 120" DaLite, Pioneer Elite SC-LX501, Klipsch Heresy fronts and backs, Infinity center, Klipsch KG-2 sides, Velodyne HGS 18" sub, Paradigm PW2200 sub, Triad PowerSub 18", Energy 15" sub. Panasonic BDT-310 & Sony BDP-S790 Blu-Rays, LG 4K 870.
JCP1740 is offline  
post #3 of 1518 Old 01-04-2018, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 8,347
Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3784 Post(s)
Liked: 2998
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBeef79 View Post
... native 3840 x 2160 resolution ...
Anyone who's interested in how "native resolution" has traditionally been defined and how pixel shifting projectors like the UHD50 fit the definition can read and discuss that issue in the dedicated 4K thread linked to below. This thread should remain focused on the UHD50 and not devolve into another "my 4K is better than your 4K" side discussion.

avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/2939832-what-constitutes-4k.html
xpostal likes this.
Dave in Green is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 1518 Old 01-04-2018, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Anyone who's interested in how "native resolution" has traditionally been defined and how pixel shifting projectors like the UHD50 fit the definition can read and discuss that issue in the dedicated 4K thread linked to below. This thread should remain focused on the UHD50 and not devolve into another "my 4K is better than your 4K" side discussion.

avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/2939832-what-constitutes-4k.html
I completely agree.

Also can we keep the JVC good, DLP bad talk out of this thread. You know who you are.
xpostal likes this.

Last edited by KingBeef79; 01-04-2018 at 01:53 PM.
KingBeef79 is offline  
post #5 of 1518 Old 01-04-2018, 01:15 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Any more information on this? From my understanding it seems to be the uhd60 but with a rgbrgb wheel which should help the black levels.
Matthew Sarnecki is offline  
post #6 of 1518 Old 01-04-2018, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bix26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Sarnecki View Post
Any more information on this? From my understanding it seems to be the uhd60 but with a rgbrgb wheel which should help the black levels.


It has a shorter lens throw also
bix26 is online now  
post #7 of 1518 Old 01-04-2018, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ruined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,845
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2633 Post(s)
Liked: 1265
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBeef79 View Post
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ogy_uhd50.html

Enjoy UHD 4K content with HDR support with the Optoma UHD50 UHD DLP Home Theater Projector. Its 2400 lumens of brightness overcome ambient light in many installations, while its 500,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio helps enhance detail in dark areas of the image. The native 3840 x 2160 resolution helps ensure that text and images are clear. HDR10 compatibility ensures vibrant color reproduction from a compatible source device and content.
The UHD50 has one VGA and two HDMI inputs to support a variety of sources. Both HDMI inputs are MHL-compatible for connecting mobile devices, such as your smartphone or tablet, and the projector has a USB power output to help conserve your device's battery life. Its analog audio input and output allow you to either use the built-in 5W speakers or output your audio to an external system with the optical audio output, a digital audio connection to your receiver or soundbar. The projector is controllable via Ethernet, RS-232, or the included IR remote control.
UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) resolution, plus 2400 lumens of brightness and a 6-segment RGBRGB color wheel Equipped with HDR10 and DCI-P3 wide color gamut support for bright whites, deep blacks, and vivid color Dynamic Black delivers a 500,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio for enhanced black levels HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 offer UHD video bandwidth and device compatibility Vertical lens shift and 1.3x zoom provide flexible installation Two 5W speakers and an optical output to your A/V receiver or soundbar

This looks like a modified version of the UHD550X, with the color wheel swapped out for RGBRGB.
Ruined is offline  
post #8 of 1518 Old 01-04-2018, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ruined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,845
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2633 Post(s)
Liked: 1265
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCP1740 View Post
I have owned 3 Optoma projectors and one sure thing I have noticed is that their specs for lumens and contrast are largely exaggerated in most cases as compared to the industry standards. 2400 lumens is probably close, but 500K contrast I seriously doubt. I have a 142x now and no way is it at the specs they say. Read the reviews/tests before you buy any Optoma product to know what specs you are really getting.
The rated lumens seem to vary from model to model vs real performance, hard to gauge what real performance will be.

But with Optoma you can use the fake contrast specs to get a handle on how it will rank, though, compared to other similar models.

For instance, in optima's fake numbers:

MOST CONTRAST | UHZ65 > UHD65 > UHD60 > UHD50 = UHD550X | LEAST CONTRAST


I am guessing the lens used in the UHD50/UHD550X is of lower quality and lower contrast than the one in the UHZ65/UHD65/UHD60.
Ruined is offline  
post #9 of 1518 Old 01-04-2018, 07:26 PM
Member
 
ocelittle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Oh snap, this could be the one that I need if it has a shorter throw.

When is it out? WHat's the price?

Is there a calculator for this beast?

Last edited by ocelittle; 01-04-2018 at 07:30 PM.
ocelittle is offline  
post #10 of 1518 Old 01-04-2018, 07:32 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelittle View Post
Oh ****, this could be the one that I need if it has a shorter throw.

When is it out? WHat's the price?

Is there a calculator for this beast?
Not sure, B & H has it for pre-order at 1699, 100 below the current price for the UHD60.
Matthew Sarnecki is offline  
post #11 of 1518 Old 01-04-2018, 07:39 PM
Member
 
ocelittle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Sarnecki View Post
Not sure, B & H has it for pre-order at 1699, 100 below the current price for the UHD60.
Awesome. I just want to run a calculator to see if it would fit my room.
ocelittle is offline  
post #12 of 1518 Old 01-06-2018, 06:54 PM
Member
 
ocelittle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Shocking lack of info about this thing.

BH photo has it, and that's about it.

Google brings up nothing.
ocelittle is offline  
post #13 of 1518 Old 01-06-2018, 07:01 PM
 
mecmec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,041
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelittle View Post
Shocking lack of info about this thing.

BH photo has it, and that's about it.

Google brings up nothing.
BH Photo does NOT have it...
mecmec is offline  
post #14 of 1518 Old 01-06-2018, 07:03 PM
Member
 
ocelittle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecmec View Post
BH Photo does NOT have it...
I mean, they have it on their site. Not in stock.

Not a lot of other sites even know it exists.

Some more info on their site, with pics:

https://www.optomausa.com/projectorproduct/uhd50

This site claims to have it in stock, and has a price of $1699

https://www.projectorscreen.com/opto...projector.html
ocelittle is offline  
post #15 of 1518 Old 01-06-2018, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Both HDMI ports are 2.0 with HDCP 2.2.
KingBeef79 is offline  
post #16 of 1518 Old 01-06-2018, 08:00 PM
Member
 
ocelittle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
What is the difference between this and the UHD60?
From what I can tell, it has a different lens with a shorter throw. Just waiting to find out HOW much shorter.
ocelittle is offline  
post #17 of 1518 Old 01-06-2018, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bix26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelittle View Post
From what I can tell, it has a different lens with a shorter throw. Just waiting to find out HOW much shorter.


1.21-1.59 vs 1.39-2.22
bix26 is online now  
post #18 of 1518 Old 01-06-2018, 08:52 PM
Member
 
ocelittle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
1.21-1.59 vs 1.39-2.22
I'm kinda dumb, how does that compare to the W1070 (which I currently have and it fits my room better than any because of it's shorter throw)?
ocelittle is offline  
post #19 of 1518 Old 01-06-2018, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bix26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelittle View Post
I'm kinda dumb, how does that compare to the W1070 (which I currently have and it fits my room better than any because of it's shorter throw)?


That’s 1.15-1.5 just a ruff estimate here: given a 120” screen you would need approximately 6”-8” longer distance for the UHD50. Projectorcentral should have it in their distance calculator by the time it’s for sale.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...ulator-pro.cfm
JRock3x8 likes this.
bix26 is online now  
post #20 of 1518 Old 01-07-2018, 09:20 AM
Member
 
ocelittle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
That’s 1.15-1.5 just a ruff estimate here: given a 120” screen you would need approximately 6”-8” longer distance for the UHD50. Projectorcentral should have it in their distance calculator by the time it’s for sale.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...ulator-pro.cfm
Thanks! Yeah I've been checking the PC calculator every 45 minutes

Do we have a release date on this guy? And would we expect Keystoning?
ocelittle is offline  
post #21 of 1518 Old 01-07-2018, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 8,347
Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3784 Post(s)
Liked: 2998
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelittle View Post
... And would we expect Keystoning?
Nothing like lusting after 4K resolution and then throwing part of that higher resolution away by using digital keystone correction.

Quote:
Also, since Keystone Correction is a digital process, it uses compression and scaling to manipulate the shape of the projected image which can result in decreased resolution, artifacts, and often, the results are still not perfect. This means you may still have image shape distortion along the edges of the projected image.
lifewire.com/tip-lens-shift-vs-keystone-correction-1847335
Dave in Green is offline  
post #22 of 1518 Old 01-07-2018, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelittle View Post
Thanks! Yeah I've been checking the PC calculator every 45 minutes

Do we have a release date on this guy? And would we expect Keystoning?
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-dig...es-2018-a.html

Should know more once the embargo is lifted.
KingBeef79 is offline  
post #23 of 1518 Old 01-07-2018, 03:33 PM
Member
 
ocelittle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Nothing like lusting after 4K resolution and then throwing part of that higher resolution away by using digital keystone correction.



lifewire.com/tip-lens-shift-vs-keystone-correction-1847335
Heh...well it's nice to have the option in worst case scenario. My W1070 has no Keystone in use. Ideally I won't need it.
ocelittle is offline  
post #24 of 1518 Old 01-07-2018, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 8,347
Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3784 Post(s)
Liked: 2998
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelittle View Post
Heh...well it's nice to have the option in worst case scenario. My W1070 has no Keystone in use. Ideally I won't need it.
If the UHD50 is the same as the UHD60 in offset and lens shift then it will have zero offset and 15% vertical lens shift. So with a ceiling mount you should be able to mount it in a range of heights from having the center of the lens even with the top of the screen's image area to as much as 15% of screen image height above that. If you aren't using keystone correction with your W1070 then a UHD50 should mount in the same location.

EDIT: Well, Optoma's description on the UHD50 data sheet is a bit odd. It says: "15% offset (with tolerance +/- 5%)." While that's identical to what the UHD60 data sheet says the UHD60 user manual clearly states that offset ranges from zero to 15% of image height. You might want to check in the UHD60/UHD65 owner thread to see what the real world offset is from user experience.

Last edited by Dave in Green; 01-07-2018 at 04:20 PM.
Dave in Green is offline  
post #25 of 1518 Old 01-07-2018, 08:04 PM
Member
 
ocelittle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
If the UHD50 is the same as the UHD60 in offset and lens shift then it will have zero offset and 15% vertical lens shift. So with a ceiling mount you should be able to mount it in a range of heights from having the center of the lens even with the top of the screen's image area to as much as 15% of screen image height above that. If you aren't using keystone correction with your W1070 then a UHD50 should mount in the same location.

EDIT: Well, Optoma's description on the UHD50 data sheet is a bit odd. It says: "15% offset (with tolerance +/- 5%)." While that's identical to what the UHD60 data sheet says the UHD60 user manual clearly states that offset ranges from zero to 15% of image height. You might want to check in the UHD60/UHD65 owner thread to see what the real world offset is from user experience.
I sure do miss the insane Epson lens shift that i used to have. That thing dialed in so well.
ocelittle is offline  
post #26 of 1518 Old 01-08-2018, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JRock3x8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 3,981
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
It has a shorter lens throw also
I about melted in happiness when I saw that throw ratio.
JRock3x8 is offline  
post #27 of 1518 Old 01-08-2018, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JRock3x8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 3,981
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Nothing like lusting after 4K resolution and then throwing part of that higher resolution away by using digital keystone correction.



lifewire.com/tip-lens-shift-vs-keystone-correction-1847335
I have used both lens shift and keystone separately on my benq 1070 and I can't tell the difference.
JRock3x8 is offline  
post #28 of 1518 Old 01-08-2018, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JRock3x8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 3,981
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelittle View Post
Awesome. I just want to run a calculator to see if it would fit my room.
Throw Ratio is listed on their data sheet at 1.21 - 1.59 so it's a hair longer than the 1070


edit : sorry bix already nailed that one...
JRock3x8 is offline  
post #29 of 1518 Old 01-08-2018, 11:36 AM
Member
 
ocelittle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I appreciate double confirmations

I may need to drop to 100" to be safe. I'd be okay with that. 110" that I have is just a HAIIIIR too big. It's good, but I wouldn't miss the 10".
ocelittle is offline  
post #30 of 1518 Old 01-08-2018, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JRock3x8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 3,981
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked: 618
That’s not what she said


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JRock3x8 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off