AVS Forum banner

Optoma UHD50

415K views 2K replies 231 participants last post by  Kanproj001 
#1 ·
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1382290-REG/optoma_technology_uhd50.html

Enjoy UHD 4K content with HDR support with the Optoma UHD50 UHD DLP Home Theater Projector. Its 2400 lumens of brightness overcome ambient light in many installations, while its 500,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio helps enhance detail in dark areas of the image. The native 3840 x 2160 resolution helps ensure that text and images are clear. HDR10 compatibility ensures vibrant color reproduction from a compatible source device and content.
The UHD50 has one VGA and two HDMI inputs to support a variety of sources. Both HDMI inputs are MHL-compatible for connecting mobile devices, such as your smartphone or tablet, and the projector has a USB power output to help conserve your device's battery life. Its analog audio input and output allow you to either use the built-in 5W speakers or output your audio to an external system with the optical audio output, a digital audio connection to your receiver or soundbar. The projector is controllable via Ethernet, RS-232, or the included IR remote control.
UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) resolution, plus 2400 lumens of brightness and a 6-segment RGBRGB color wheel Equipped with HDR10 and DCI-P3 wide color gamut support for bright whites, deep blacks, and vivid color Dynamic Black delivers a 500,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio for enhanced black levels HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 offer UHD video bandwidth and device compatibility Vertical lens shift and 1.3x zoom provide flexible installation Two 5W speakers and an optical output to your A/V receiver or soundbar

See less See more
#2 ·
I have owned 3 Optoma projectors and one sure thing I have noticed is that their specs for lumens and contrast are largely exaggerated in most cases as compared to the industry standards. 2400 lumens is probably close, but 500K contrast I seriously doubt. I have a 142x now and no way is it at the specs they say. Read the reviews/tests before you buy any Optoma product to know what specs you are really getting.

#8 ·
The rated lumens seem to vary from model to model vs real performance, hard to gauge what real performance will be.

But with Optoma you can use the fake contrast specs to get a handle on how it will rank, though, compared to other similar models.

For instance, in optima's fake numbers:

MOST CONTRAST | UHZ65 > UHD65 > UHD60 > UHD50 = UHD550X | LEAST CONTRAST

I am guessing the lens used in the UHD50/UHD550X is of lower quality and lower contrast than the one in the UHZ65/UHD65/UHD60.

#3 ·
... native 3840 x 2160 resolution ...
Anyone who's interested in how "native resolution" has traditionally been defined and how pixel shifting projectors like the UHD50 fit the definition can read and discuss that issue in the dedicated 4K thread linked to below. This thread should remain focused on the UHD50 and not devolve into another "my 4K is better than your 4K" side discussion. :)

avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/2939832-what-constitutes-4k.html

This post has been deleted
#34 ·
I'd say while it's not likely extra pixels were added for digital keystone correction it is possible.

Getting back to the question of which DMD is in the UHD50, if you compare its dimensions to the UHD60/65 it's smaller and lighter. In fact the UHD50's size and features are more in line with the BenQ HT2550, which is known to use the smaller 0.47" DMD. It seems part of TI's strategy with the smaller DMD is to allow for smaller, less featured, lower cost projectors. Based on this I think it's more likely the smaller UHD50 uses the smaller 0.47" DMD.

#41 ·
I checked with a major dealer, and they said it has 3D, also the selling price will be $1,499. They believe it will be a better projector than the HT2550. Better contrast, lens shift and uses the .67 TI chip. Supposed to hear more about it this week at CES.

#44 ·
Damn, UHD50 looks nice ... But unlike all of you guys happy about the short throw on this one, for me it's almost too short, because if I'm gonna fill up my 98", it's gonna hang in a kinda strange way, almost 24 inches from the wall, right next to a door.
Luckily, my ceilings are so high, that there should be exactly enough room to hang it, so I don't bump into it.
But standing underneath, I'll probably be able to feel when it's time for that haircut :laugh:

Still, judging from the specs currently available, I'd rather have this with a 2-shift 0.66 chip (and maybe mounted in a unique fashion), than the Benq HT2550 4-shift 0.47 chip sitting all neat and tidy ...

Very excited to see some reviews!

#45 ·
Yeah same here on throw distance. This one sounds nice on paper if the spec-u-lation comes to be - for me that is .66 DMD and 3D support. But my throw is going to be ~18 ft, maybe a little longer. And max screen size I am thinking is 150" diagonal. So it just doesn't quite fit. Close enough that hopefully one of those numbers can change slightly, but I would worry about lumens output at 150"+ and full telephoto on the lens.

Good news for me is I don't need to buy for another couple months. Will let all these PJs come out and you guys be the guinea pigs and tell me which one is the best! :D

#47 ·
Yeah same here on throw distance. This one sounds nice on paper if the spec-u-lation comes to be - for me that is .66 DMD and 3D support. But my throw is going to be ~18 ft, maybe a little longer. And max screen size I am thinking is 150" diagonal. So it just doesn't quite fit. Close enough that hopefully one of those numbers can change slightly, but I would worry about lumens output at 150"+ and full telephoto on the lens.

Good news for me is I don't need to buy for another couple months. Will let all these PJs come out and you guys be the guinea pigs and tell me which one is the best! :D

I can’t image they’ll let their uhd65 be outdone by a model they sell for $1000 less. I’m guessing they’ll come out with a 3D version of the uhd65 or maybe even a firmware update for 3D support.

#50 ·
Either the early data sheet and specs for the UHD50 are wrong about it using the 0.66" DMD or Evan Powell was wrong when he posted in his CES report on projectorcentral.com that it uses the 0.47" DMD. I would not discount either possibility at this point. Anyone specifically wanting to buy a projector with one or the other XPR chip would be wise to wait for clarification before ordering a UHD50.

#55 ·
It could certainly use the 0.66 chip; its footprint and configuration is about the same as the Acer V7850 which is also 0.66.

Much like the UHD550X, Optoma rates the contrast of the UHD50 lower than the UHD60, so there is a good chance it has a weak lens or other aspect of lightpath that despite the RGBRGB wheel still results in lower contrast than the UHD60.

It does appear to be great value for the money though. No way of telling how it really stacks up until someone buys it and compares! :)

#51 ·
There is another "issue" with 3D and the .66 chip. Since that chip has 2716x1528 pixels that shift twice for 4k (8.3 meg pixels), it would have to turn off the shift and use 2716x1528 pixels (4 meg) to show 3D. If it used only 1920x1080 pixels (2 meg), it would have to magnify the center of the chip with some optical device to fill the screen. The .47 chip does not have this "problem." I'm putting issue and problem in quotes as we don't know. That said, if it does use all 4 meg pixels for 3D, then the image would be scaled somewhat and very sharp like passive 3D is on a non-projection TV, which uses the full horizontal width of 3840x1080p for each eye in 3D.

Ooooh, the plot thickens...:)

#57 ·
There have been statements either way. At CES last year, Optoma said that they were going to implement 3D on the UHD60. But later probably decided they wanted to bring it to market sooner, so opted out of doing it. It wouldn't surprise me that they finally got it working for the UHD50. Plus they had so many 1080p projectors with 3D, I don't think they cared either way as 4K was the big splash last year and 3D was dead.

#68 ·
Here's the 0.47"/3D confirmation:

We need more confirmations like this instead of basing conclusions on assumptions. :)

Your right, people shouldn’t make assumptions. Also it shouldn’t be an assumption when it’s coming from a manufacturers product sheet (unless it’s contrast numbers, in which you can be certain it’s false) unlike contrast and even fuaxK/4k resolution, this was very black and white (bad pun intended). This is one of the most egregiously misleading things I’ve ever seen in marketing material, especially when a product is already available for pre-order.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.