Optoma HD36/151X tear down - Help! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By descalabro
  • 1 Post By Lumatr0n
  • 1 Post By Lumatr0n
  • 2 Post By airscapes
  • 1 Post By descalabro

post #1 of 17 Old 01-08-2018, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Optoma HD36/151X tear down - Help!

Dear Forum,

I`m looking for ANY advice on how to solve this new issue with my projector. I was tearing it down, as in cleaning EVERYTHING, but when I put it all back together, theres a funny looking shadow in bottem&bottem right side of the screen. Any ideas to what I did wronge or what I could do to solve it?

Thanks in advantage.
Best regards,
Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180107_162236.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	461.4 KB
ID:	2342610   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180107_162251.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	434.9 KB
ID:	2342612  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-08-2018, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatr0n View Post
Dear Forum,

I`m looking for ANY advice on how to solve this new issue with my projector. I was tearing it down, as in cleaning EVERYTHING, but when I put it all back together, theres a funny looking shadow in bottem&bottem right side of the screen. Any ideas to what I did wronge or what I could do to solve it?

Thanks in advantage.
Best regards,
Kevin
I have no experience with DLP projectors, but it looks as if something is out of alignment.

What do you mean by "everything"? Did you remove any of the optical or electronic elements to clean them, or did you clean everything in place? And how did you clean? Compressed/caned air, or did you use other method?

Can you post an image of this image projected so we can have a better sense of the alignment?

I attached an inverted one if it's easier to see the shadow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pattern.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	2342694  

Last edited by descalabro; 01-08-2018 at 10:48 AM.
post #3 of 17 Old 01-09-2018, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for reading and getting back to me, Descalabro.

I actually removed most of what it had inside, lol.. All layers, most parts, also colorwheel and optics, as in lens house. I`ve used a combination of Ear cleaners, Special cloth and finally a little bit of canned air, not inside lens house though. I solved one problem (wouldn`t turn on due to dust on colorwheel sensor), but made this shadow issue insted, as I digged deeper than I had to.

I don`t have any source hooked up to it at the moment and as you figured, it`s most noticable in white. I`ve posted some on black with the one from projector, if yours is better to make conclusions, then i`ll get it hooked up on it. As you say, it does look like something isn`t aligned and I do have my eyes set on one part, but fare from sure and I have tried changing that once with no major difference. I screwed on some screws, that could have been sealed to adjust alignement, otherwise it must be inside lens house, or lamp that is not fittet the hole properly I guess? I`m also wondering if I damaged the color wheel or something, but then I don`t understand why it`s only in bottem and right side of the screen, where the colors are darker/burned looking, due to the shadows or whatever it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by descalabro View Post
I have no experience with DLP projectors, but it looks as if something is out of alignment.

What do you mean by "everything"? Did you remove any of the optical or electronic elements to clean them, or did you clean everything in place? And how did you clean? Compressed/caned air, or did you use other method?

Can you post an image of this image projected so we can have a better sense of the alignment?

I attached an inverted one if it's easier to see the shadow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180109_165501.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	945.0 KB
ID:	2343220   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180109_165514.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	799.2 KB
ID:	2343228   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180109_165524.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	813.7 KB
ID:	2343234   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180109_165534.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	984.4 KB
ID:	2343240  

Last edited by Lumatr0n; 01-09-2018 at 11:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 01-09-2018, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for reading and getting back to me, Descalabro.

I actually removed most of what it had inside, lol.. All layers, most parts, also colorwheel and optics, as in lens house. I`ve used a combination of Ear cleaners, Special cloth and finally a little bit of canned air, not inside lens house though. I solved one problem (wouldn`t turn on due to dust on colorwheel sensor), but made this shadow issue insted, as I digged deeper than I had to.

I don`t have any source hooked up to it at the moment and as you figured, it`s most noticable in white. I`ve posted some on black with the one from projector, if yours is better to make conclusions, then i`ll get it hooked up on it. As you say, it does look like something isn`t aligned and I do have my eyes set on one part, but fare from sure and I have tried changing that once with no major difference. I screwed on some screws, that could have been sealed to adjust alignement, otherwise it must be inside lens house, or lamp that is not fittet the hole properly I guess? I`m also wondering if I damaged the color wheel or something, but then I don`t understand why it`s only in bottem and right side of the screen, where the colors are darker/burned looking, due to the shadows or whatever it is?
I would like to help you, but DLP projectors really aren't something that I know about. I would guess it's not the lamp nor the front lens, it's most likely something close to where the image is formed. I would say it's not the colour wheel either. The DMD chip is projecting all the pixels, but it could still be just slightly out of direction; although such elements are usually aligned with screws so that this cannot happen.

I'm not adding much to what you've already concluded, so I hope someone else may help.
Lumatr0n likes this.
post #5 of 17 Old 01-10-2018, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Well what you knew, kinda helped me anyways, as in getting closer to something. I teared it all apart again, besides for lens house and dmd chip. It`s surely not colorwheel related, as you also mentiont. I know this, as I have now managed to move the shadows from bottem to top left cornor now. So at the moment, i`m left with 3 options to locate the problem. I noticed the coolers on top of dmd chip where a little lose, which leads me to believe, that I opened that too. lol.. I tried moving them a little around and also screwed on the suspected screws, now I need to do some more changes, to get even closer. But i`m faithful that I will get there, now that I managed to move the problem. lol.. Thanks for helping me out.

Quote:
I would like to help you, but DLP projectors really aren't something that I know about. I would guess it's not the lamp nor the front lens, it's most likely something close to where the image is formed. I would say it's not the colour wheel either. The DMD chip is projecting all the pixels, but it could still be just slightly out of direction; although such elements are usually aligned with screws so that this cannot happen.

I'm not adding much to what you've already concluded, so I hope someone else may help.
descalabro likes this.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-10-2018, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Solved!

Thanks for the assistance, Descalabro.

It was the suspected screws, causing the problem. Right between lens house and colorwheel, where you adjust this little light tunnel, so you where actually close and a great help!

If anyone need assistance with this projector, then I`ll gladly help, I know it better than my own backpocket now. lol

Quote:

descalabro likes this.
post #7 of 17 Old 01-10-2018, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Thanks for the assistance, Descalabro.

It was the suspected screws, causing the problem. Right between lens house and colorwheel, where you adjust this little light tunnel, so you where actually close and a great help!

If anyone need assistance with this projector, then I`ll gladly help, I know it better than my own backpocket now. lol
Those screws adjust the first surface mirror the directs the light from the light tunnel into a lens the move it on down through the light engine.

I am not sure of the exact procedure but tuning it until the shadow is gone the measuring how much for you turn it until the shadow shows up on the other side, then back 1/2 would make sense.

If you have a meter set it up with a 100% white pattern at the center of the screen and adjust between those extremes unit you hit a peak in output.

Hopefully you got NO dust on the prism or DMD glass.. this can best be seen in a dark room with a 0% or 10% gray pattern, dust shows up as lighter blobs.
descalabro and Lumatr0n like this.

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #8 of 17 Old 01-10-2018, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well what you knew, kinda helped me anyways, as in getting closer to something. I teared it all apart again, besides for lens house and dmd chip. It`s surely not colorwheel related, as you also mentiont. I know this, as I have now managed to move the shadows from bottem to top left cornor now. So at the moment, i`m left with 3 options to locate the problem. I noticed the coolers on top of dmd chip where a little lose, which leads me to believe, that I opened that too. lol.. I tried moving them a little around and also screwed on the suspected screws, now I need to do some more changes, to get even closer. But i`m faithful that I will get there, now that I managed to move the problem. lol.. Thanks for helping me out.
Good news!
Lumatr0n likes this.
post #9 of 17 Old 01-11-2018, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the respons and detailed describtion, Airscapes!

This projector is fully functional again and best of all, it`s totally clean again. It does not have dust blob problems, but i`ve just brought one, that has this problem. I do however believe, that it`s a fairly easy task to clean them inside the light house. At least I have a pretty good idea of how to get there and what to do inside the light house. I`ve included a photo of the dust blob issue on this newly brought HD36, if you got any tips, before I get started, be sure to let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
Those screws adjust the first surface mirror the directs the light from the light tunnel into a lens the move it on down through the light engine.

I am not sure of the exact procedure but tuning it until the shadow is gone the measuring how much for you turn it until the shadow shows up on the other side, then back 1/2 would make sense.

If you have a meter set it up with a 100% white pattern at the center of the screen and adjust between those extremes unit you hit a peak in output.

Hopefully you got NO dust on the prism or DMD glass.. this can best be seen in a dark room with a 0% or 10% gray pattern, dust shows up as lighter blobs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	$_57.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	2343962  
post #10 of 17 Old 01-11-2018, 02:44 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
i also hava a problem with this projector, maybe someone had the same issue?

the projector often shuts down without any led or warning (most of the time about 10-30min after turning it on), i changed the bulb, but the problem is still the same. in summer the problem occurred more often (about 2-3 times a week). now in winter, it only happens about every 2-3 weeks, so could it be heat related?

i think it is a faulty sensor or dust on the sensor? does someone know, where the heat break sensor for the lamp is?

thanks
post #11 of 17 Old 01-11-2018, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

Dear Rikioh,

I`m pretty sure you are experiencing the problem, that got me started picking this son of a b**** to pieces. lol.. What message do you get when it turns off, if any? If it`s the same issue I had, then it`s a fairly easy fix. If it`s what I think, then it`s most likely the colorwheel sensor that is too dusty. For me that made it hard to turn on at times and other times it would just shut down with a service message. Just needs to be cleaned for dust, then your most likely good to go. If this is the case, then here is a video that shows what to look for and how to clean the part:

Let me know, if you got any other questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikioh View Post
i also hava a problem with this projector, maybe someone had the same issue?

the projector often shuts down without any led or warning (most of the time about 10-30min after turning it on), i changed the bulb, but the problem is still the same. in summer the problem occurred more often (about 2-3 times a week). now in winter, it only happens about every 2-3 weeks, so could it be heat related?

i think it is a faulty sensor or dust on the sensor? does someone know, where the heat break sensor for the lamp is?

thanks
post #12 of 17 Old 01-11-2018, 03:31 AM

hi lumatr0n,

it shuts down without any error message or led warning (fan runs)

when i power it on again and look into the service menu, then i can see the error code 0400

post #13 of 17 Old 01-11-2018, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter

You sure this projector is a HD36/151X? The menu does not look like mine none of the less. But eitherway a good cleaning inside the projector and dusting off the sensor would be where I would start. I find it hard to believe, that something just broke, since it`s still working, when it is working. As said, mine shut down when getting overheated to, so I wouldn`t be surprised, if the mentiont would solve your problems to.

Quote:
hi lumatr0n,

it shuts down without any error message or led warning (fan runs)

when i power it on again and look into the service menu, then i can see the error code 0400

post #14 of 17 Old 01-11-2018, 04:23 AM

yes, it's a hd36 whats your firmware version?
post #15 of 17 Old 01-11-2018, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

I havn`t checked to be honest. Mine is a HD151x, but I had expected the menu to be the same, since HD151X/HD36 are practically the same projectors. But maybe that explains the different reaction to what seems to be the same issue, as I had. So go pick it to pieces and get to that colorwheel sensor, while cleaning your way to it. I`m pretty sure, that will solve your problems. Just remember to keep good track of the screws, since theres no guide for pulling it apart or putting it backtogether. lol.. I can however make you a video, when I start cleaning dust blobs on my newly brought HD36, that I still havn`t received.

Quote:
yes, it's a hd36 whats your firmware version?
post #16 of 17 Old 11-19-2018, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello, i ve got these spot circles.
projector is 3,5year at one place never moved etc.
only filter cleaned. and sudenly this spot appeared.
it could be seen only on black screen, when is there some another picture with black background , it its almost "unseeable"
I clean the lens with special cleaning product,(hama cleaning paper+chemical water for lens) but it doesnt helped. maybe i cleaned so soft ?
Or can dust get into lens or somewhere ?

What could it be ?
Should i try use air can spray ? or again clean the lens forom front ?

Thanks for tips
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181104_174943.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	584.4 KB
ID:	2485042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181104-175110_Gallery.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	710.1 KB
ID:	2485044   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181117_144852.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	1,024.0 KB
ID:	2485048  
post #17 of 17 Old 05-15-2019, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3mon3k-CZ View Post
Hello, i ve got these spot circles.
projector is 3,5year at one place never moved etc.
only filter cleaned. and sudenly this spot appeared.
it could be seen only on black screen, when is there some another picture with black background , it its almost "unseeable"
I clean the lens with special cleaning product,(hama cleaning paper+chemical water for lens) but it doesnt helped. maybe i cleaned so soft ?
Or can dust get into lens or somewhere ?

What could it be ?
Should i try use air can spray ? or again clean the lens forom front ?

Thanks for tips
D3mon3k-CZ, did you solve this problem in the end? I have my HD151X and I have many more dust blobs. I tried to disassemble the projector, but had to stop. Any solution? Thanks a lot. Hans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page