Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #1 of 35 Old 01-09-2018, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HT2550 vs UHD50 vs HK2288

This is my first time posting, and I've probably spent about 10 hours at this point looking through the forum for something like this but haven't found what I'm looking for. I have the W1070 and have loved it for a few years now, it's a 140 inch screen on the progray projector material from Carl's Place, a fairly dark room, but I have zero more room to move the projector back so that may play into which is the best fit. Let me know if any other info is needed.

I have roughly $1500 I can put towards a new projector and these look like the ones to beat if I want to go the 4k route. I currently have a pre-order placed on Amazon for the HT2550 since I've had such a good experience so far but now I'm thinking about cancelling it based on some of the things I've seen in the last couple days about the other two. Some have said the JVC ones are better and similarly priced but everywhere I look they are a ton more.

My main use for this will be playing single player games in 4k on my gaming computer like Witcher 3 and Fallout 4, and streaming 4k video from Netflix/Amazon. Can I please get any and all advice, I'm pretty sure I've found all the relevant material on the forum there is already but references to other threads may help as well. Anything you can offer to help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 01-09-2018, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked: 2772
The HK2288 uses TI's 0.66" XPR DMD (DLP660TE) while the HT2550 and UHD50 use TI's newer 0.47" XPR DMD (DLP470TE). When comparing the new 0.47" DLP470TE against the older 0.66" DLP660TE TI specifically states:

Quote:
The DLP660TE is the most powerful of the three 4K UHD chipsets.
There's a lot of speculation right now because there hasn't yet been a comprehensive, independent comparison test of the two chips. What is known is that the 0.66" chip has 2716x1528 active micro-mirrors with 2-way shift to achieve 8.3 million overlapping pixels on the screen while the 0.47" chip has 1920x1080 active micro-mirrors with 4-way shift to achieve the same 8.3 million overlapping pixels on the screen.

It's widely believed that the 0.47" chip is capable of producing 3D in 1080p resolution while the 0.66" chip is believed not to be 3D capable. It's also believed that since TI designates the 0.66" chip as "most powerful" that it may be capable of producing at least a slightly more refined image with at least slightly better contrast. It's believed that the 0.66" chip will be used in more premium models with more features while the 0.47" chip is designed for less expensive projectors with fewer features. But it will take some serious testing to determine the facts. Of course there are other feature differences beyond the TI chip being used and you can compare those features by reading the different specification sheets.

We are still way too early in the XPR game to have definitive answers to all the questions that keep popping up. For example the UHD50 was initially listed by Optoma as having the 0.66" chip. But just today an Optoma rep posted on this forum that this was a mistake and that the UHD50 actually uses the 0.47" chip. Early implementers are going bonkers trying to figure out which XPR model to buy. Those who have a little patience will eventually have more factual data to go by.
skoolpsyk and nate77 like this.
post #3 of 35 Old 01-09-2018, 10:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgnel62 View Post
This is my first time posting, and I've probably spent about 10 hours at this point looking through the forum for something like this but haven't found what I'm looking for. I have the W1070 and have loved it for a few years now, it's a 140 inch screen on the progray projector material from Carl's Place, a fairly dark room, but I have zero more room to move the projector back so that may play into which is the best fit. Let me know if any other info is needed.

I have roughly $1500 I can put towards a new projector and these look like the ones to beat if I want to go the 4k route. I currently have a pre-order placed on Amazon for the HT2550 since I've had such a good experience so far but now I'm thinking about cancelling it based on some of the things I've seen in the last couple days about the other two. Some have said the JVC ones are better and similarly priced but everywhere I look they are a ton more.

My main use for this will be playing single player games in 4k on my gaming computer like Witcher 3 and Fallout 4, and streaming 4k video from Netflix/Amazon. Can I please get any and all advice, I'm pretty sure I've found all the relevant material on the forum there is already but references to other threads may help as well. Anything you can offer to help is appreciated.
Well, the first two aren't out yet so can't say for sure, but...

The HK2288 will likely have the advantage with 4K UHD due to the larger 0.66" DMD. The HK2288 also has a very powerful lamp. However, it lacks 3D which may be a deal breaker for you; the firmware on the HK2288 also is a bit unrefined, but who knows how it will be on the other two unreleased projector.

If I was primarily concerned with 4K UHD I'd personally go with the HK2288; on the other hand, if 3D is of paramount importance I'd consider the other two instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 01-09-2018, 10:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
the 0.66" chip is believed not to be 3D capable.
Both of the below use the 0.66" chip, and both support FullHD 3D:

Vivitek DK8500Z
https://www.vivitekusa.com/productdetail/DK8500Z/

Digital Projection E-Vision Laser 4K UHD
http://www.digitalprojection.com/dp-...-laser-4k-uhd/

So the 0.66" chip is definitely capable of 3D, but it may cost more to implement due to the odd resolution and video scaling required. In the case of these two PJs it appears you also might need to use one HDMI port for 3D and a different one for 4K UHD, perhaps using a different internal video processing path for each format.

Last edited by Ruined; 01-09-2018 at 10:39 PM.
post #5 of 35 Old 01-10-2018, 06:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Confused by this discussion!
Did old BenQ HT2059 not already have 0.47" chip? Was it not already capable of 1080p 3D? How is this a new thing?
post #6 of 35 Old 01-10-2018, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Ruined , from a quick look at the specs it seems that those two $20,000 professional laser projectors may have the same guts from the same OEM. If so I'd consider it to be more of a single case of 3D implementation. If 3D implementation was baked into TI's 0.66" XPR chip it seems reasonable to assume that at least one consumer projector would have it. So it's possible this 3D implementation is accomplished with add-on circuitry and is not native to the TI chip. With the 0.47" XPR chip having 3D baked in it's less likely that a projector company would spend more to add 3D to the 0.66" XPR chip in a consumer model where there is more added pricing sensitivity than on expensive specialty professional models like these. But without more solid data we're just guessing like we were yesterday on which chip was really in the UHD50.
post #7 of 35 Old 01-10-2018, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

EDIT: I shouldn't have rushed my response below to not be late for an appointment because I made a dumb mistake. Lesson learned. The HT2050 actually uses a 0.66" DMD, not a 0.47" one. I'll clear this up in a later post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorar View Post
Confused by this discussion!
Did old BenQ HT2059 not already have 0.47" chip? Was it not already capable of 1080p 3D? How is this a new thing?
If you mean the BenQ HT2050, it has a different TI 0.47" chip without 4-way pixel shift. So 3D implementation is not new to TI's 0.47" chip family. But since TI's 0.47" XPR chip with 4-way shift has native 3D capability built-in the "new thing" would be having native 3D support in a 4K pixel shifting chip from TI if TI's older 0.66" XPR chip did not have native 3D support.

Last edited by Dave in Green; 01-10-2018 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Correction
post #8 of 35 Old 01-10-2018, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
any news about the input lag?

Add the acer v6820m/i to the comparison please
it has silent mode that switch the xpr off and opreate at 19db!! Very queit and very important for me since i care about the audio more than the video
post #9 of 35 Old 01-10-2018, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@Ruined , from a quick look at the specs it seems that those two $20,000 professional laser projectors may have the same guts from the same OEM. If so I'd consider it to be more of a single case of 3D implementation. If 3D implementation was baked into TI's 0.66" XPR chip it seems reasonable to assume that at least one consumer projector would have it. So it's possible this 3D implementation is accomplished with add-on circuitry and is not native to the TI chip. With the 0.47" XPR chip having 3D baked in it's less likely that a projector company would spend more to add 3D to the 0.66" XPR chip in a consumer model where there is more added pricing sensitivity than on expensive specialty professional models like these. But without more solid data we're just guessing like we were yesterday on which chip was really in the UHD50.
I think it's less the DMD and more the DLPC4422 video processor probably doesn't have power to do anything more than 1080p 3d without help. Those two 0.66" appear to have some add on video processing circuitry likely to help out.

Point is though the 0.66 DMD can do it with the right VP.
post #10 of 35 Old 01-10-2018, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
The HK2288 uses TI's 0.66" XPR DMD (DLP660TE) while the HT2550 and UHD50 use TI's newer 0.47" XPR DMD (DLP470TE). When comparing the new 0.47" DLP470TE against the older 0.66" DLP660TE TI specifically states:

There's a lot of speculation right now because there hasn't yet been a comprehensive, independent comparison test of the two chips. What is known is that the 0.66" chip has 2716x1528 active micro-mirrors with 2-way shift to achieve 8.3 million overlapping pixels on the screen while the 0.47" chip has 1920x1080 active micro-mirrors with 4-way shift to achieve the same 8.3 million overlapping pixels on the screen.

It's widely believed that the 0.47" chip is capable of producing 3D in 1080p resolution while the 0.66" chip is believed not to be 3D capable. It's also believed that since TI designates the 0.66" chip as "most powerful" that it may be capable of producing at least a slightly more refined image with at least slightly better contrast. It's believed that the 0.66" chip will be used in more premium models with more features while the 0.47" chip is designed for less expensive projectors with fewer features. But it will take some serious testing to determine the facts. Of course there are other feature differences beyond the TI chip being used and you can compare those features by reading the different specification sheets.

We are still way too early in the XPR game to have definitive answers to all the questions that keep popping up. For example the UHD50 was initially listed by Optoma as having the 0.66" chip. But just today an Optoma rep posted on this forum that this was a mistake and that the UHD50 actually uses the 0.47" chip. Early implementers are going bonkers trying to figure out which XPR model to buy. Those who have a little patience will eventually have more factual data to go by.
Thanks for concisely summarizing the chip comparison in one location. I painstakingly picked up on the differences by reading and trying to interpret about a thousand posts, so it's beneficial to have it collected in one location.

Jgnel62 specifically mentioned gaming with the projector. Does anyone know the input lag (latency) comparisons for these models? I've tried to find this info but it's not listed on spec sheets. In the case of the HT2550 and UHD50, is this info even available, or is it determined post-release by the community?

Also, for gaming applications 4K HDR compatibility with the XB1X and PS4 Pro need to be considered since handshaking issues do exist. But this compatibility is affected by many factors beyond the projector (e.g., AV receiver, HDMI cable, etc.).
post #11 of 35 Old 01-10-2018, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 78
The vivitek does seem to have more issues with handshaking than other projectors. The optoma hd60 while not problem free for everyone seems to be the better bet if you are worried about compatibility with devices like the xbox and ps4. Plus I expect a lot of good deals on that model in the coming weeks. But again no 3d with the hd60.

We really don't know about handshaking issues yet with the projectors not for sale.

Lag I expect will be in the same general range with all of these- fine for a lot of types of games but not if you are competing at high levels in first person shooters.
post #12 of 35 Old 01-10-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
If you mean the BenQ HT2050, it has a different TI 0.47" chip without 4-way pixel shift. So 3D implementation is not new to TI's 0.47" chip family. But since TI's 0.47" XPR chip with 4-way shift has native 3D capability built-in the "new thing" would be having native 3D support in a 4K pixel shifting chip from TI if TI's older 0.66" XPR chip did not have native 3D support.
Yes, I meant BenQ HT2050. So in that projector, the chip (without 4-way pixel shift) is still able to create full resolution 1080p 3D picture? So no change in 3D picture resolution with new 4-way shift chip?
post #13 of 35 Old 01-10-2018, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, I meant BenQ HT2050. So in that projector, the chip (without 4-way pixel shift) is still able to create full resolution 1080p 3D picture? So no change in 3D picture resolution with new 4-way shift chip?
3D is only 1080p in both yes. Though since 4k 3d content does not exist this should not be an issue.
post #14 of 35 Old 01-10-2018, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Some have said the JVC ones are better and similarly priced but everywhere I look they are a ton more.
This is very funny because I found myself following the very same path after my first Amazon order of the HT2550 was canceled about a month ago. I noticed posts on this forum stating that you could get a JVC for "not much more" than the 'budget' 4K projectors, so my excitement lead me down the rabbit hole of reaching out to authorized dealers. Granted, "not much more" is subjective, but I quickly discovered that even a 'close-out' JVC RS-420 is still >$1,000 more expensive than the HT2550, HK2288, etc. Maybe a JVC is "more than $1,000 superior" to the others, but it's difficult without being able to "see" the difference...especially when trying to justify to the wife that it's worth the extra investment. The blank stares came at me frequently when I recited quotes from this forum when trying to justify the JVC. Ultimately, I 're-preordered' the HT2550 and now wait on it's arrival...
post #15 of 35 Old 01-10-2018, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thank you this information is very detailed and helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
Well, the first two aren't out yet so can't say for sure, but...

The HK2288 will likely have the advantage with 4K UHD due to the larger 0.66" DMD. The HK2288 also has a very powerful lamp. However, it lacks 3D which may be a deal breaker for you; the firmware on the HK2288 also is a bit unrefined, but who knows how it will be on the other two unreleased projector.

If I was primarily concerned with 4K UHD I'd personally go with the HK2288; on the other hand, if 3D is of paramount importance I'd consider the other two instead.
Based on this I should definitely go the HK2288 route since I have never once used the 3D feature on my 1070.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Ox View Post
Thanks for concisely summarizing the chip comparison in one location. I painstakingly picked up on the differences by reading and trying to interpret about a thousand posts, so it's beneficial to have it collected in one location.

Jgnel62 specifically mentioned gaming with the projector. Does anyone know the input lag (latency) comparisons for these models? I've tried to find this info but it's not listed on spec sheets. In the case of the HT2550 and UHD50, is this info even available, or is it determined post-release by the community?

Also, for gaming applications 4K HDR compatibility with the XB1X and PS4 Pro need to be considered since handshaking issues do exist. But this compatibility is affected by many factors beyond the projector (e.g., AV receiver, HDMI cable, etc.).
I don't notice any at all with my 1070, but this is something I hadn't thought about at all, thanks for bringing it up.

Something I didn't mention before is that it goes from my gaming computer into a Yamaha RX-V677 so that may cause issues if the HK2288 has compatibility issues since I plan on setting up a PS4 pro into the receiver too at some point. If most of the use is going to be for gaming what stats should I look for to ensure I'll have a good experience? Also since these projectors are either creating less unique pixels than a 4k monitor for example, it's taking the less pixels and overlapping/moving them around to create the 4k experience, will my graphics card run as hard as it would on a 4k monitor or only as hard as the 2716x1528 or 1920x1080 it's actually producing? If so that would be awesome since I'll have the same performance I do now on the 1070, but on the 2550 if I go that route, but it'll be "4k".

Is the distance from the screen calculator on Projector Central the go to way to determine if a new projector will fit in my space with the screen size I want? Based on what I'm seeing for all 3 I will have to go with a smaller screen than I have with my 1070 since my projector can't be more than roughly 12 feet from the screen, and since that's a big issue for me would you guys recommend going with the one with the shortest throw? Also, should the zoom be taken into account aka does it decrease the quality of the image? Or is it optical zoom not digital (not sure if I'm saying that right), and therefore wouldn't make the quality worse?

Any other advice or insight on this decision would be swell, especially because I've now had a few others on this thread and another I posted on say they are in the same situation, thanks everyone in advance.
post #16 of 35 Old 01-10-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
3D is only 1080p in both yes. Though since 4k 3d content does not exist this should not be an issue.
I was hoping for 4K "upscale" while displaying of 3D 1080 content. Not possible in new chip?
post #17 of 35 Old 01-10-2018, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was hoping for 4K "upscale" while displaying of 3D 1080 content. Not possible in new chip?
Definitely not in the current 0.47" / 0.66", no.
xplorar likes this.
post #18 of 35 Old 01-10-2018, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@xplorar , I had to go back and correct my morning post because I rushed it and made a dumb mistake. The HT2050 has a 0.66" DMD and not a 0.47" one. The smaller non-XPR 0.47" DMD was developed by TI primarily for pico projectors, which are typically fairly low-powered LED models while the 0.66" non-XPR DMD was used almost exclusively in standard size projectors.

With the introduction of the new 0.47" XPR DMD this smaller size chip is now being used in a growing number of standard size projectors as a lower cost alternative to the 0.66" XPR chip. While none of the projector manufacturers have implemented 3D in any of the 0.66" XPR models it appears that it may be common on 0.47" XPR models. It's likely both simpler and less expensive to implement 3D with the smaller XPR chip than the larger one.
xplorar likes this.
post #19 of 35 Old 01-10-2018, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
The thing I don't really understand about the 0.66 XPR chip doing 3D is this:

DLPs do 3D using either DLP Link at 144hz (triple flash 24p = 72hz per eye times two eyes = 144hz), or using IR emmitters synced to LCD shutter glasses at 120hz.

To achieve 144hz at 2716 x 1528 internally in the projector, with XPR disabled for 3D, you have to take a 1080p 3D input at either 24p or 60p (in SBS mode or O/U mode or maybe even Frame packing FHD per eye), upscale it to 1528p, then show it at 144hz.

Problem is, these projectors run at 120hz internally for 4K operation using XPR shifting, so how can they do 144hz? Is it extra lee-way?

It's for this reason I suspect they only support 1080p 60hz input and project 3D at 120hz, not 144hz.

2716 x 1528 x 60 x 2 (eyes), already consumes all the 600 Mhz controller bandwidth internally, which is the same max bandwidth as 18 gbps HDMI 2.0 can provide at 4K60 using XPR shifting in 2D mode. So 1080p60 should be the maximum input refresh rate and resolution, and the 3D operation should run at 60hz per eye, constantly. Anything lower would result in flicker.

DLP Link I believe can run at 120hz, not just 144hz. If they are doing triple flash 3D for 24p content then their internal electronics must be pushing beyond the max specs they are running at for 4K60 2D mode.

I believe they don't offer frame packing 24p mode because the only way to display that in 3D smoothly, is 24p per eye, so 48hz, times two (double flash) at 96hz. Does DLP Link work at 96hz? I thought 120hz was the lowest you can do without flickering. Doesn't JVC do 3D at 96hz and result in poor 3D?

If 2X XPR projectors do triple flash at 144hz they must be overclocking some system components past the bandwidth required for 4K60.

The 4X XPR shifting 0.47 1080p chips can just disable XPR shifting and show 1080p as is, without scaling, so the DMD controllers don't need to do any electronic upscaling to 1528p first, in their internal frame buffers, meaning they can easily do 1080p 120hz, 144hz, or even 240hz (120hz per eye FHD) if they wanted to.
post #20 of 35 Old 01-10-2018, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think it's less the DMD and more the DLPC4422 video processor probably doesn't have power to do anything more than 1080p 3d without help. Those two 0.66" appear to have some add on video processing circuitry likely to help out.

Point is though the 0.66 DMD can do it with the right VP.
I noticed that those $20,000 professional installation XPR laser projectors you linked to claimed to have an "advanced video processor," so this may be what it takes to get 3D with the 0.66" XPR chip. Technically speaking I guess we have to say it's possible to get 3D with the 0.66" XPR chip. However, it doesn't seem likely that any of the manufacturers are interested in putting the extra cost and complexity to do so into a 0.66" XPR home projector when it appears they can get 3D at no extra cost by using a standard 0.47" XPR chip and controller. So next time someone asks about getting the larger XPR chip with 3D I would advise them that while it may be possible it seems highly unlikely.

@BattleAxeVR , you seem to have a good technical understanding of this. Does it make sense that the right external processor added to the 0.66" XPR chip could enable 3D?
post #21 of 35 Old 01-10-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I noticed that those $20,000 professional installation XPR laser projectors you linked to claimed to have an "advanced video processor," so this may be what it takes to get 3D with the 0.66" XPR chip. Technically speaking I guess we have to say it's possible to get 3D with the 0.66" XPR chip. However, it doesn't seem likely that any of the manufacturers are interested in putting the extra cost and complexity to do so into a 0.66" XPR home projector when it appears they can get 3D at no extra cost by using a standard 0.47" XPR chip and controller. So next time someone asks about getting the larger XPR chip with 3D I would advise them that while it may be possible it seems highly unlikely.

@BattleAxeVR , you seem to have a good technical understanding of this. Does it make sense that the right external processor added to the 0.66" XPR chip could enable 3D?
Definitely, but with some qualifications: 1528p at 120hz is the native resolution and refresh rate for XPR operation at 4K in 2D, so disabling XPR should allow 1080p 60hz 3D at 120hz, or 60hz per eye, at that same internal native resolution (upscaled from 1080p of course since all displays can only display at their native resolution fullscreen, unless you do cropping of lower res inputs on a higher res output, but then you waste lumens and screen size).

What I do doubt on the 0.66 chips, however, is whether 24p mode can work properly and smoothly, and whether triple flashing 24p to DLP Link at 144hz would work on the 2X XPR chips. I don't think so.

It's possible if they do a lot of internal overclocking, but boosting from 120hz to 144hz at 1528p, is a 20% overclock which is very hard, and requires an increase of controllers' internal pixel clock rate from 600 Mhz to 720 Mhz. I'm highly skeptical that is possible. Maybe.

For 1080p 3D Bluray content I bet you'll have to settle 3:2 pulldown or frame interpolation, because dropping below 120hz DLP Link would likely result in too much visible flickering (at the expense of poor motion or 60hz pulldown judder for 24p input).

If you're ok with interpolation, then 0.66 XPR projectors should provide a decent 3D experience. Otherwise if you are a 24p purist and want to use triple flash 3D, I think you'll have no choice but to get the lower native resolution 1080p 0.47 models. It's possible those might get 1080p 60hz per eye in frame packing mode added too, but the manual doesn't say so, it just says 120hz input refresh rate is supported in 2D at 1080p.

0.66 chips have twice the total number of pixels as 0.47 chips so they should be better at displaying 4K video content and videogames. The Acer M550 seems to have good contrast measurements, is cheap, and has interpolation too. It has some other issues though, apparently, but who knows if it can be fixed with a firmware update.

I'd hold off buying any of these until you can compare actual contrast measurements which is far more than the difference in sharpness.

Personally if I find a 1080p XPR shifter with decent contrast I'm likely to buy one. I might wait for lasers though.
post #22 of 35 Old 01-10-2018, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@BattleAxeVR , your points above may explain why only a couple of $20,000 professional installation laser XPR projectors have implemented 3D with the 0.66" chip. They can do it by adding an advanced video processor but due to the non-standard micro-mirror array can't fully implement it in a way that would be acceptable to home theater purists. Limited 3D may be acceptable for a professional installation in a business environment where 3D effects are only occasionally used and interpolation is more acceptable than having no 3D option at all.
post #23 of 35 Old 01-10-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
@BattleAxeVR , your points above may explain why only a couple of $20,000 professional installation laser XPR projectors have implemented 3D with the 0.66" chip. They can do it by adding an advanced video processor but due to the non-standard micro-mirror array can't fully implement it in a way that would be acceptable to home theater purists. Limited 3D may be acceptable for a professional installation in a business environment where 3D effects are only occasionally used and interpolation is more acceptable than having no 3D option at all.
I personally can't watch 24p without interpolation, so I'd be fine with a 0.66 chip that interpolates from 24p to 60p then upscales to 1528p and displays that in 3D. But many can't.

And for them, definitely get the models with the 0.47 chip. They're cheaper too, although so far the contrast has been very disappointing. I would consider buying on a downgrade from my current projector. HDR benefits from increasing your native on/off contrast, not decreasing it. And with lamp models having meh lumens and no WCG, I'm not even sure they would look much better than SDR on a 1080p projector.

I'd very much like to see a side-by-side comparison actually, but I might have to settle for buying on Amazon and just returning it after I run my own tests at home.
post #24 of 35 Old 01-10-2018, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@BattleAxeVR DLP link also works at 120hz, it is not required to be 144hz. I. E. BenQ w7000/w7500 are dlp link 120hz.

DLP link 120hz seems to be what these XPR projectors are offering.
BattleAxeVR likes this.

Last edited by Ruined; 01-10-2018 at 01:26 PM.
post #25 of 35 Old 01-10-2018, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I guess we have to say it's possible to get 3D with the 0.66" XPR chip. However, it doesn't seem likely that any of the manufacturers are interested in putting the extra cost and complexity to do so into a 0.66" XPR home projector when it appears they can get 3D at no extra cost by using a standard 0.47" XPR chip and controller. So next time someone asks about getting the larger XPR chip with 3D I would advise them that while it may be possible it seems highly unlikely.
Again I think this boils down to TIs current DLPC4422 video processor that is a standard part of the chipset. TI could release a more powerful revision in the future to make 3d on 0.66" easier.

For now though 3D on 0.66" XPR while possible does appear significantly more costly to implement than 3D in 0.47" XPR.
post #26 of 35 Old 01-14-2018, 03:05 PM
RTK
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Is there a short throw version of the HT2550 planned? There has to be a lot of W1070 owners looking for an easy update but HT2550 doesn't seem to be it.
post #27 of 35 Old 01-16-2018, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post
Is there a short throw version of the HT2550 planned? There has to be a lot of W1070 owners looking for an easy update but HT2550 doesn't seem to be it.
From what I've seen there is not. From what I've seen there's a ton of people in the same situation as you're describing, and the closest solution is the UHD50 based on the Projector Central calculator, though even with that I lost roughly 5 inches diagonal with the screen as big as it can be in the same location as my W1070.
post #28 of 35 Old 01-16-2018, 03:53 PM
RTK
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
From what I've seen there is not. From what I've seen there's a ton of people in the same situation as you're describing, and the closest solution is the UHD50 based on the Projector Central calculator, though even with that I lost roughly 5 inches diagonal with the screen as big as it can be in the same location as my W1070.
Thanks. The hope was to be able to leave the mount in place and just swap in new projector but even with the UHD50 I would need to reposition projector back ~5inches as well.
post #29 of 35 Old 01-17-2018, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post
Thanks. The hope was to be able to leave the mount in place and just swap in new projector but even with the UHD50 I would need to reposition projector back ~5inches as well.
May I know your screen size and your distance between the projector and the screen ? I might be in the same situation than some of you.
post #30 of 35 Old 01-17-2018, 09:16 AM
RTK
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
May I know your screen size and your distance between the projector and the screen ? I might be in the same situation than some of you.
Just go to Projection Calculator Pro and compare your W1070 to the UHD50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
4k projector , hk2288 , ht2550 , recommendations , uhd50

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page