Short Throw Projectors in 4k. Out, Coming, Announced Thread. - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 35Likes

post #31 of 198 Old 06-14-2018, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 124
So, its summer and still no 4K ST/UST announcements (we're stuck with USTs Dell S718QL and Sony VZ1000ES and LSPX-W1S)...bravo to Dell for coming up with a fairly comparable pj to Sony (4K, laser, high brightness), I mean, the screen for the Sony costs almost as much as the Dell pj. Anyone else think its strange that we have 4K USTs before any STs. The lens geometry has got to be more problematic for any resolution much-less 4K, and there are 2 to none currently. Maybe the STs just aren't enough of a niche product for manufacturer

Maybe CEDIA in Sept will have better news...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 198 Old 06-14-2018, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1805 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Well there is that weird lg tower thing but otherwise...yah...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #33 of 198 Old 06-14-2018, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1564 Post(s)
Liked: 1158
Be aware that ambient light rejecting (ALR) short throw or UST screens are prohibitively expensive, but you are under no obligation to use such a screen if your room doesn't need it.

I've seen a couple of comments about the cost of UST screens, and it's only applicable if you need a ALR screen.

If your room is good, then any standard high diffusion screen will work just fine and is all that you need to be using. It is the standard practice for most decent home theater setups to use a minimal gain white screen, and that is just fine for short throw or ultra-short throw projectors.

At this point, I'm still unaware of any sub $3K models coming to the market from any manufacturer and I'm completely blown away that Dell is the only one who has stepped up to the plate with a realistic UST 4K solution.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Dell..._Projector.htm

But, at $5,000, we would be talking about that in the other forum I suppose.

Optoma and BenQ really have been the kings in that department for years with their DLP models used all the time for quality large screen setups in a tight space environment. Hopefully we will see them at least announced by the end of Summer.

I think the big key is that they need to get the lensing correct on short throw models. They are much more difficult to make than standard throw models and that is why even the newer models tend not to have the same throw that the old W1070 models used to deliver.

As throw distance gets longer, the lens is easier to make and the image is generally sharper and more accurate/uniform. As it gets shorter, the steep projection angle and significant difference between top of screen and bottom of screen projection gets incredibly difficult to accurately project without image distortion and with no loss of focus.

Short throw is always a compromise. UST is even more of a compromise. But, it can still produce a solid image if designed and setup properly.
sage11x likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 198 Old 06-14-2018, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 3680 Post(s)
Liked: 2891
The two most often recommended short throw 1080p models <$1,000, the BenQ HT2150ST and the Optoma GT1080Darbee, have significantly different throws. For a 100" screen the HT2150ST's zoom lens allows it to be between 5' and 6' from the screen while the zoomless GT1080Darbee has a much shorter 3' 7" throw. The GT1080Darbee gets close to a UST projector in throw distance while at the other end the HT2150ST isn't too far from a more standard throw BenQ HT2050A.

The HT2150ST's lens system has been praised by reviewers, with some saying they think it's a little sharper even than the HT2050A/HT3050 lens. That may be because it doesn't push the short throw envelope as much as the GT1080Darbee does. That would seem to make something similar to the HT2150ST's lens system more likely for a 4K pixel shifter as it would become increasingly difficult to resolve finer detail if the throw was shortened beyond that.

Based on the past I had expected BenQ to be the leader in shorter throw 4K pixel shifters and was surprised when Optoma came out with a shorter throw on the UHD50/UHD51A than BenQ did with the HT2550. Hopefully BenQ will bounce back with an ST version of the HT2550 that lives up to the performance of the HT2150ST and if not another brand will likely step in. Short throws may not represent a huge segment of the projector market but it's an important segment to those who really need a short throw.
post #35 of 198 Old 06-14-2018, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 26
It's more than frustrating now, it's infuriating that BenQ hasn't released/announced a 4k short throw by now. And/or another company like Optima or JVC hasn't released a 4k short throw model to take the lead in the market. The HT2150ST is a great projector. I just changed the lamp in mine. As was stated, it's been said that the picture is better in the 2150st, compared to the 2050 & 3050. So the lens excuse is a copout IMO. There should be something worthy on the market by know. And from what I understand, that LG model isn't a short throw like they led on to believe.

I'll be contacting BenQ shortly to see if there's any new news. I did hear a 3Q time frame before, but I've heard a lot of BS in the past as well.
post #36 of 198 Old 06-15-2018, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bigins View Post
It's more than frustrating now, it's infuriating that BenQ hasn't released/announced a 4k short throw by now. And/or another company like Optima or JVC hasn't released a 4k short throw model to take the lead in the market. The HT2150ST is a great projector. I just changed the lamp in mine. As was stated, it's been said that the picture is better in the 2150st, compared to the 2050 & 3050. So the lens excuse is a copout IMO. There should be something worthy on the market by know. And from what I understand, that LG model isn't a short throw like they led on to believe.

I'll be contacting BenQ shortly to see if there's any new news. I did hear a 3Q time frame before, but I've heard a lot of BS in the past as well.
I have to agree.
I have a BenQ HT1075 which is a short throw. I'd like to upgrade to a 4K projector, but there's almost none on the market right now.
post #37 of 198 Old 06-15-2018, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
… I have a BenQ HT1075 which is a short throw. I'd like to upgrade to a 4K projector, but there's almost none on the market right now.
The HT1075 is not considered a short throw projector. Did you mean you have the HT1085ST?
post #38 of 198 Old 06-15-2018, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked: 2664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
The HT1075 is not considered a short throw projector. Did you mean you have the HT1085ST?

Yes we need to define ‘short throw’ as it’s a pretty broad term. A lot of people consider the w1070/ HT2050’s throw to be ‘short throw’ but it’s a lot different from the throw of an HT2150ST or GT1080.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #39 of 198 Old 06-16-2018, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

As far as I know the three main categories of projector throw ranges for projectors with built-in lens systems are ultra short throw (UST), short throw (ST) and everything else lumped together under what might be called standard throw. For projectors with interchangeable lenses it's a little different as there are ultra short throw, short throw, medium throw and long throw lens options advertised.

Focusing on projectors with built-in lenses, which comprise the vast majority of projectors discussed on this forum, we could estimate the various ranges based on current and recently available projector models by using a 100" screen as I did in my previous post comparing the BenQ HT2150ST and Optoma GT1080Darbee. As previously noted, for a 100" screen the HT2150ST's zoom lens allows it to be between 5' and 6' from the screen while the zoomless GT1080Darbee has a much shorter 3' 7" throw.

I think it's fair to say that short throw generally covers fixed lens projectors that can throw a 100" image from more than 3' and less than 7'. That would make all projectors that can throw a 100" image from less than 3' UST and from more than 7' standard throw. The previously mentioned HT1075 and many other similar BenQ models like the W1070, HT2050/3050, etc., need a minimum throw of 8' 4" for a 100" image which makes them among the shortest throws in the standard throw class but still a good deal longer than the HT2150ST which is among the longest throws in the short throw class.

The lines can obviously get a little blurred when the longest throw model from a shorter throw class gets close to the shortest throw model in a longer throw class. But I think the cutoff points for a 100" image of 3' and 7' covers every UST, ST and standard throw model I've ever seen advertised as such.
post #40 of 198 Old 06-16-2018, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 3
+1 for Silver Ticket -G for Gray material. I have installed many of these with DLP, Epson LCD and a couple Sony LCos. The Silver Ticket ambient light rejecting dark gray is just too dark (IMO) if any light is present.

post #41 of 198 Old 06-17-2018, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestms View Post
+1 for Silver Ticket -G for Gray material. I have installed many of these with DLP, Epson LCD and a couple Sony LCos. The Silver Ticket ambient light rejecting dark gray is just too dark (IMO) if any light is present.

Pretty sure you posted in the wrong thread.

I'll try contacting BenQ this week and report back any news they have.
JRock3x8 likes this.
post #42 of 198 Old 06-17-2018, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by juic-E-juice View Post
This thread is a little ahead of its time unfortunately. Since 4K is just now starting to trickle down, ST are still a ways off at the sub 3K price point, and UST even further still. I believe that his year will be the year that the TI chipset users will hash out all of their weaknesses while traditional 3LCD start to feel the heat and pursue more competitive price points. IMO, next year will be the year to buy. I can hardly wait to see how the market gets aggressive!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
you're right...in France we have Hisense UST based on new Ti DLP chip with the Total solution, so the ALR screen inlcluded for 3keur.
and the screen comes from DNP, no low cost chinese screen...

For example, Elite screen try to sell here for 2keur the screen they sell in USA for 1keur? the Aeon CLR
The other manufacturers their UST solutions for 3/4/5keur...

while Hisense will sell ALL IN ONE solution for 3keur. OK 80" but it's the sweet try...

I'm thinking to try it.
post #43 of 198 Old 06-20-2018, 03:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Are there any sub 1.2 throws that have negative lens shift (shift image up 12 inches from upside down mount) and lens memory?

post #44 of 198 Old 06-22-2018, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So this doesn't technically qualify as 4K-UST buts its interesting because its close: Optoma ZH400UST Its basically the Epson LS100 with a DLP light engine, still a laser, 4000 lumens, only 1080p but the 4K DLP chips are already in way more products for a fraction of the price of LCOS/LCD...and its Optoma, they have a huge R&D budget and come out with new products multiple times a year just because they can. If I were a betting man I'd say the next iteration of this will be 4K and should be impressive and inexpensive. The MSRP is twice the street price...gotta love Optoma!

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-ZH400UST.htm
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...UST-prices.htm
post #45 of 198 Old 06-25-2018, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post
So this doesn't technically qualify as 4K-UST buts its interesting because its close: Optoma ZH400UST Its basically the Epson LS100 with a DLP light engine, still a laser, 4000 lumens, only 1080p but the 4K DLP chips are already in way more products for a fraction of the price of LCOS/LCD...and its Optoma, they have a huge R&D budget and come out with new products multiple times a year just because they can. If I were a betting man I'd say the next iteration of this will be 4K and should be impressive and inexpensive. The MSRP is twice the street price...gotta love Optoma!

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-ZH400UST.htm
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...UST-prices.htm
Optoma also did announce a 4K UST during CES that was supposed to be released this Spring, and still nowhere to be found...

And same for Sony that announced their $30k fancy UST (sony LSPX-A1) that is nowhere to be found either. It used to be on their website as "coming soon" and it has been completely removed. I wonder what's going on with 4K UST...
post #46 of 198 Old 06-25-2018, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the link, interesting video. It is late for being released...he talks about it being $4-6K...shoot low...I’d be interested at $4K.
post #47 of 198 Old 06-26-2018, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Short Throw Projectors in 4k. Out, Coming, Announced Thread.

This is the one that I have been waiting on. Outside of this video, there hasn't been any new information anywhere. Like already stated, it appears that all previously announced USTs have been pulled and buried. It is very bizarre to see Dell of all companies leading the charge in this sector. Good for them I guess?
post #48 of 198 Old 06-27-2018, 01:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #49 of 198 Old 06-27-2018, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 66
My room is 11x 20x8 and the screen is on the long wall. So I have just over 9 feet from the front of the projector to the screen.

Is 9 feet considered short throw , or will 'regular' projectors be able to do 100" to 110" inch screen from that distance with ceiling mount ????

What projectors will be best for that distance in 4K ?

I currently have a Panasonic PT-AU3000U Projector , and started to upgrade my HT components last year, with a new Denon AVR and this year I got the new Oppo 203 and a Funk Audio subwoofer.

With the new sub I have 5.1 and am thinking of adding Atmos next year to get to 5.1.4 .

After adding the Atmos , I was thinking of upgrading my screen to a fixed 110" (from a motorized roll up, that I have NEVER moved ).

After the screen I was going to get a new 4K projector .

Denon AVR X4400H , PSB Image 6T towers, 9C Centre , 2B Surrounds
Panasonic PT-AU3000U Projector , 100" screen , Oppo UPD-203
Funk Audio 18.1 Subwoofer
post #50 of 198 Old 06-27-2018, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudasKiss View Post
My room is 11x 20x8 and the screen is on the long wall. So I have just over 9 feet from the front of the projector to the screen.

Is 9 feet considered short throw , or will 'regular' projectors be able to do 100" to 110" inch screen from that distance with ceiling mount ????

What projectors will be best for that distance in 4K ?

I currently have a Panasonic PT-AU3000U Projector , and started to upgrade my HT components last year, with a new Denon AVR and this year I got the new Oppo 203 and a Funk Audio subwoofer.

With the new sub I have 5.1 and am thinking of adding Atmos next year to get to 5.1.4 .

After adding the Atmos , I was thinking of upgrading my screen to a fixed 110" (from a motorized roll up, that I have NEVER moved ).

After the screen I was going to get a new 4K projector .

your garden variety minimum throw on a normal projector is 1.39 from the lens to the screen which means you need 1.5 from your back wall to your screen (usually).

110" screen (Diag) = 87 inches wide (someone check my math - I googled it) x 1.39 = 120" = 10'

87 x 1.5 = 130" = 11'

so yes I would say you are in the market for a short throw.

At that distance I believe (someone fact check me please) that you have two options : the $1500-ish Optoma UHD50/UHD51a and the $3k LG weird box UST projector.

Realistically you want the Optoma. The 50 is $1350 on Amazon and the 51a is $1700? 50 has vertical keystone, 51a has 3D and frame interpolation - take your pick. Both have vertical shift and start at a throw ratio of 1.21. This *IS* faux-k - it's not 4k native. There are no native 4k PJs that I'm aware of in that throw range.
post #51 of 198 Old 06-27-2018, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 66
My current screen is actually 90 something inches (can't remember exactly, but somewhere between 92 - 98)

I bought that size back in 2008 when I got my projector, as it was a size I knew the projector could do in my short distance.

The shop first sold me a Sony when I told them I wanted a Panasonic , I had to return the Sony when it would not get even close to filling the screen.

With full 1080p content, I am still happy with my decade old projector , but it is not as good as the newer ones I presume.

I am not in a super hurry to replace it, as I want to upgrade to Atmos speakers first, and then change out my screen next year.

Is it worth waiting one or 2 years for a new 4K projector ?

What features should I make sure it has , when I do go to buy one in the next couple of years ?

As I am not one to upgrade often , and the next projector has to last me over a decade at minimum (current one is 10 years old, and am still happy).

I am just starting to read about projectors after a decade so not sure of all the new terms and features I should be looking for ?

Like "Lazer"

Denon AVR X4400H , PSB Image 6T towers, 9C Centre , 2B Surrounds
Panasonic PT-AU3000U Projector , 100" screen , Oppo UPD-203
Funk Audio 18.1 Subwoofer
post #52 of 198 Old 06-27-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
This is the one that I have been waiting on. Outside of this video, there hasn't been any new information anywhere. Like already stated, it appears that all previously announced USTs have been pulled and buried. It is very bizarre to see Dell of all companies leading the charge in this sector. Good for them I guess?
Same. The (very few) reviews about the Dell didn't wow me, so I was hoping that this one would make it jump and get my first ever projector. The $25K Sony is too pricy and the $2k Xiaomi seems nice (though a bit concerned by the input lag for games) but not 4K. Quite frustrating to have so few options.

Last edited by Bubur; 06-28-2018 at 12:15 PM.
post #53 of 198 Old 06-28-2018, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubur View Post
Same. The (very few) reviews about the Dell didn't wow me, so I was hoping that this one would make it jump and get my first ever projector. The $25K Sony is too pricy and the $2k Xiaomi seems nice (though a bit concerned by the input lag for games) but not $4K. Quite frustrating to have so few options.
I think the Xiaomi will take 4k inputs but only outputs at 1080p
post #54 of 198 Old 06-28-2018, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What features should I make sure it has , when I do go to buy one in the next couple of years ?
There are not any absolutes - everything is a trade off between cost and functionality. If you feel like dropping 5 figures I'm pretty sure you'll get something pretty amazing. If you need to stick closer to $1,000, you'll have to deal with less.

This is all part of the experience - figuring out what matters to you and then making that buying decision.
post #55 of 198 Old 06-28-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
I think the Xiaomi will take 4k inputs but only outputs at 1080p
Which to me is the same as not supporting 4K.
sage11x likes this.
post #56 of 198 Old 06-28-2018, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
Well there is that weird lg tower thing but otherwise...yah...

That Hu80Ka thingy? that is not a short throw unfortunately, similar to all these new budget 4k line-up, just double the price for some reason.
post #57 of 198 Old 06-29-2018, 01:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverz View Post
That Hu80Ka thingy? that is not a short throw unfortunately, similar to all these new budget 4k line-up, just double the price for some reason.

Huh.

“Be aware that the throw ratio of the 1.2x zoom lens is in the range of 1.32 to 1.58. In other words, this is NOT a short throw projector.”

Boy that makes lgs marketing seem downright misleading.

post #58 of 198 Old 06-29-2018, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Looks like Projector Central has recognized how popular USTs are becoming and has created a separate "Top 10" category just for them! I believe they may be reading the tea leaves and noticed that there is pent up demand for this niche. Hopefully this is foreshadowing things to come.
post #59 of 198 Old 06-30-2018, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Looks like Projector Central has recognized how popular USTs are becoming and has created a separate "Top 10" category just for them! I believe they may be reading the tea leaves and noticed that there is pent up demand for this niche. Hopefully this is foreshadowing things to come.
if you feel like you are going to pass out, go ahead and exhale...
post #60 of 198 Old 06-30-2018, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My current screen is actually 90 something inches (can't remember exactly, but somewhere between 92 - 98)

I bought that size back in 2008 when I got my projector, as it was a size I knew the projector could do in my short distance.

The shop first sold me a Sony when I told them I wanted a Panasonic , I had to return the Sony when it would not get even close to filling the screen.

With full 1080p content, I am still happy with my decade old projector , but it is not as good as the newer ones I presume.

I am not in a super hurry to replace it, as I want to upgrade to Atmos speakers first, and then change out my screen next year.

Is it worth waiting one or 2 years for a new 4K projector ?

As I am not one to upgrade often , and the next projector has to last me over a decade at minimum (current one is 10 years old, and am still happy).

I am just starting to read about projectors after a decade so not sure of all the new terms and features I should be looking for ?

Like "Lazer"
I was in the market for a 4k UST a year ago and was so unimpressed I bought a "holdover" pj just to last until something truly wonderful comes along...if you can wait I really think the next 2 years will produce a several more really great UST pjs...think laser, 4K, UHD, etc. and increasingly cheaper. I'd be very surprised if Sony doesn't put their $25K light engine in an $7K pkg (as they are missing out on a bunch of business in that space) and also Optoma has one coming out (will be similar to the video above) and Dell's version should get better and cheaper in the next year or two plus the Xiaomi and Xgimi are close to this now as well if they'd only get a dealer network in the US (may be hard under Trump).

It should be an exciting time for people looking for UST 4K laser pjs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page