Short Throw Projectors in 4k. Out, Coming, Announced Thread. - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 35Likes

post #61 of 198 Old 08-03-2018, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 124
JMGO U1 4K Laser 2000lm is available for pre-order...might be at Cedia. Its only the second 4K UST laser behind the Dell and its roughly 1/4 the price of the Dell at pre-order pricing...course, you have to be willing to gamble a bit as they are only available in China right now. Only a matter of time before XIAOMI, XGIMI and others (Optoma, Benq, Viewsonic) follow suit...can't wait. I have half a mind to sell my Viewsonic PX800HD and pre-order one of these.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...st-1300-a.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 198 Old 08-09-2018, 03:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1805 Post(s)
Liked: 569
I've never owned a UST before - as I move the PJ away from the screen will the top edge move lower? It kinda has to right? - I have a situation where I'm trying to hit the top of the wall just underneath soffits which is pretty tricky to do.
post #63 of 198 Old 08-13-2018, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
I've never owned a UST before - as I move the PJ away from the screen will the top edge move lower? It kinda has to right? - I have a situation where I'm trying to hit the top of the wall just underneath soffits which is pretty tricky to do.
Seems to make sense but no, the screen always moves up as you back the projector away, the top raises much more quickly than the bottom...the lens is in the top of most USTs so the case blocks the lights path from going down prohibiting the image from moving down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 198 Old 08-13-2018, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post
Seems to make sense but no, the screen always moves up as you back the projector away, the top raises much more quickly than the bottom...the lens is in the top of most USTs so the case blocks the lights path from going down prohibiting the image from moving down.

Sorry I meant inverted. Ceiling mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #65 of 198 Old 08-13-2018, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, upside down everything moves down as the pj back away from the wall...the top very slowly and the bottom quickly.
JRock3x8 likes this.
post #66 of 198 Old 08-29-2018, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

the JMGO looked promising until the rep said today that you can't ceiling mount it.

what's next?
post #67 of 198 Old 08-29-2018, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
the JMGO looked promising until the rep said today that you can't ceiling mount it.

what's next?
Reps are often under-informed...what was the rationale for not being able to ceiling mount...surely they didn't forget to put in an "invert image" option in the software...what would be the point? I prefer table mount as it simplifies setup but can see why ppl. want to hang it as well (decreases the light spill from a usually white ceiling to a hopefully darker, less reflective color below the screen)
post #68 of 198 Old 08-29-2018, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The idea of a $1000+ device sitting where my clumsy son or dog could make a bad step and break it... no thanks. Ceiling or nothing.

post #69 of 198 Old 09-06-2018, 04:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks like Hisense is coming out with a pair of 4K Laser USTs...expensive but its good for the consumer as will create competition.
post #70 of 198 Old 09-06-2018, 10:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post
Looks like Hisense is coming out with a pair of 4K Laser USTs...expensive but its good for the consumer as will create competition.
One is 85" for $3,799 with a fresnel screen.

Jack
post #71 of 198 Old 09-06-2018, 11:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
One is 85" for $3,799 with a fresnel screen.

That’s not a PJ man. Stay on brand - lol.

post #72 of 198 Old 09-07-2018, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Seems like PJ announcements from CEDIA have been kind of a bust?

post #73 of 198 Old 09-07-2018, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 26
So there has been no announcement of a short throw(not UST) 4k projector from anyone at one of these damn shows?
JRock3x8 likes this.
post #74 of 198 Old 09-08-2018, 03:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Not that I know of. Outside of the show, I read a news about the Xiaomi Ultra Short Throw being officially sold in France, and the news mentioned they were working on a 4K version by the end of the year that will be 30% more expensive: https://www.lesnumeriques.com/videop...ce-n77891.html
Quote:
Enfin, petite information supplémentaire, Xiaomi prépare une version Ultra HD de ce vidéoprojecteur qui devrait sortir avant la fin de l'année en Chine pour un prix supérieur d'environ 30 %. Attention tout de même, les puces Texas Instruments Ultra HD embarquées sur les modèles que nous avons testés ne nous ont toujours pas convaincus.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm waiting to hear more about this, as well as the JmGO S3.
post #75 of 198 Old 09-08-2018, 04:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think I will wait until January and then if there are no major announcements I will go with the UHD50 or the S3.

The UHD50 is more or less a straight swap vs my 1070 so I like that.

I love the idea of a UST especially for my space but it seems like mounting it might get tricky with no vertical shift. Are there mounts that are specific for USTs?

post #76 of 198 Old 09-08-2018, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think I will wait until January and then if there are no major announcements I will go with the UHD50 or the S3.

I love the idea of a UST especially for my space but it seems like mounting it might get tricky with no vertical shift. Are there mounts that are specific for USTs?

A large part of USTs price is novelty and lens geometry of UST...dollar for dollar you'll get better image quality through vastly more options with a traditional normal throw pj. (I picked up a used Sim2 1080p several years ago for what these Optoma/BenQ are selling for...it was niiiice, ultimately sold it and made a little money to fund the next pj purchase). There are just so many more options for traditional throw than UST...less compromises have to be made and economy of mass production can be taken advantage of. I have one of each (normal vss. UST) they are both nice and both have their place...thought the UST is veeery difficult to get a perfectly square image out of.

Most USTs are table-top so no mount necessary, if you ceiling mount Optoma and view sonic makes some education mounts which should work, not sure about universal though...they're pricey. Google "ust pj mount"

Last edited by pottscb; 09-08-2018 at 06:46 AM.
post #77 of 198 Old 09-08-2018, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:

I'd be careful if I were you about waiting for CES. Kinda of what I did this year, and here I am still without a projector. Sony announced a $30k UST, Optoma announced a 4K UST. Both were planned for the second quarter, they both are vaporware (no news about them since CES).
So I won't be waiting for CES to then potentially wait six more months for something that might never see the light of day.
post #78 of 198 Old 09-08-2018, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubur View Post
I'd be careful if I were you about waiting for CES. Kinda of what I did this year, and here I am still without a projector. Sony announced a $30k UST, Optoma announced a 4K UST. Both were planned for the second quarter, they both are vaporware (no news about them since CES).

So I won't be waiting for CES to then potentially wait six more months for something that might never see the light of day.

Fortunately for me my budget situation more or less demands that I wait until January

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #79 of 198 Old 09-10-2018, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Called BenQ Friday to try to get a contact to their Taiwanesse headquarters. I told them that your short throw projectors are based on long throw projectors. 1070/1080st, 2050/2150st. These short throw projectors have come out within 6 months of their long throw counterparts. We're coming up on 1 year since the 2550 was released. So where the hell is a 4k short throw? You have left us in the dark with BS rumors on one coming for the last year, and still nothing. They said 3rd quarter, and nothing. WTH is going on?!
The poser said nothing is in the works, but he heard early next year. FU BenQ! Seriously, can we start a class action lawsuit for leaving us in the dark?
Any way to contact benQ headquarters in Taiwan? I have a few choice words for them
post #80 of 198 Old 09-10-2018, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked: 2664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bigins View Post
Called BenQ Friday to try to get a contact to their Taiwanesse headquarters. I told them that your short throw projectors are based on long throw projectors. 1070/1080st, 2050/2150st. These short throw projectors have come out within 6 months of their long throw counterparts. We're coming up on 1 year since the 2550 was released. So where the hell is a 4k short throw? You have left us in the dark with BS rumors on one coming for the last year, and still nothing. They said 3rd quarter, and nothing. WTH is going on?!
The poser said nothing is in the works, but he heard early next year. FU BenQ! Seriously, can we start a class action lawsuit for leaving us in the dark?
Any way to contact benQ headquarters in Taiwan? I have a few choice words for them

I get that you really want a short throw 4K but you want to start a class action lawsuit because a company isn’t making the product you want? Look, BenQ has never stated there would be a short throw 4K projector. They’ve never eluded to a short throw model. Somebody on one of these threads started that rumor with absolutely zero evidence to back it up. So... I took that rumor straight to BenQ’s US head of marketing and her response was BenQ had nothing to announce concerning an ST 4K model. That was the OFFICIAL word from BenQ and I shared that months ago.

I believe the concern is still the lens. 4K needs high quality glass and that costs money. Making an ST lens that is good enough to resolve 4K is likely too expensive to equip in what would amount to a budget 4K projector. It’s not like BenQ is the only company out here NOT making an ST 4K projector. Optoma is also known for their ST product and by my count they have over a dozen 4K models and not a single ST. That should tell you something. My guess is cost is still the primary obstacle.
3DSammy likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #81 of 198 Old 09-10-2018, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I love the idea of suing a company for not putting out a product.

post #82 of 198 Old 09-13-2018, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Quote:

I get that you really want a short throw 4K but you want to start a class action lawsuit because a company isn’t making the product you want? [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] Look, BenQ has never stated there would be a short throw 4K projector. They’ve never eluded to a short throw model. Somebody on one of these threads started that rumor with absolutely zero evidence to back it up. So... I took that rumor straight to BenQ’s US head of marketing and her response was BenQ had nothing to announce concerning an ST 4K model. That was the OFFICIAL word from BenQ and I shared that months ago. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

I believe the concern is still the lens. 4K needs high quality glass and that costs money. Making an ST lens that is good enough to resolve 4K is likely too expensive to equip in what would amount to a budget 4K projector. It’s not like BenQ is the only company out here NOT making an ST 4K projector. Optoma is also known for their ST product and by my count they have over a dozen 4K models and not a single ST. That should tell you something. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] My guess is cost is still the primary obstacle.

No, I've been on the phone with BenQ quite a bit since before the 2550 was released. If you remember, it was delayed. In talking with various people at BenQ. They informed me that a short throw version IS coming, and that they were told that directly from company reps from Taiwan. Back then, they were told shortly after the 2550 will be/was released. Then it was next year(2018) by April. April came and they said it was pushed back to 3rd Quarter. This was from more than 1 party at BenQ. When 3rd Q arrived(and now went), they said they have no concreate news on a 4k short throw, but someone mentioned(rumor) early next year. But not to hold them to that.

My case would be that BenQ supported the short throw community with multiple 1080p short throw versions of some of their long throw projectors(as I stated above), and released those within 6 months of their long throw counterparts. After the 2550 was released, they told short throw supporters that a 4k short throw was in development, and would be released in 2018. Instead, BenQ released a 2nd affordable 4k projector, and won't release a 4k short throw in 2018. Over 1year since the 2550 was released.

Lied to, strung along, and rug pulled out.
swarm87 likes this.
post #83 of 198 Old 09-13-2018, 02:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, I've been on the phone with BenQ quite a bit since before the 2550 was released. If you remember, it was delayed. In talking with various people at BenQ. They informed me that a short throw version IS coming, and that they were told that directly from company reps from Taiwan. Back then, they were told shortly after the 2550 will be/was released. Then it was next year(2018) by April. April came and they said it was pushed back to 3rd Quarter. This was from more than 1 party at BenQ. When 3rd Q arrived(and now went), they said they have no concreate news on a 4k short throw, but someone mentioned(rumor) early next year. But not to hold them to that.

My case would be that BenQ supported the short throw community with multiple 1080p short throw versions of some of their long throw projectors(as I stated above), and released those within 6 months of their long throw counterparts. After the 2550 was released, they told short throw supporters that a 4k short throw was in development, and would be released in 2018. Instead, BenQ released a 2nd affordable 4k projector, and won't release a 4k short throw in 2018. Over 1year since the 2550 was released.

then don't buy their products, man...

we're all in the same boat here - we all desperately want one - making a holy war against one company isn't going to make it happen any faster...
sage11x likes this.
post #84 of 198 Old 09-13-2018, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked: 2664
Short Throw Projectors in 4k. Out, Coming, Announced Thread.

Quote:

To what end would that benefit BenQ? If you were talking to a phone salesman, demanding they sell you something they didn’t have, I imagine the phone salesman’s response would probably be: ‘wait and see’ which is what it sounds like they told you. That’s not a confirmation.

I mean... maybe the person you talked to knew a guy who knew a guy. Who knows, maybe a product was in development. Maybe it ran into issues. Maybe BenQ looked at the market and decided against. But that’s all speculation. Again, I took this question directly to the then head of US marketing at the beginning of the year and the official response was: “nothing at this time.” I posted that HERE. That’s a pretty damn direct communication from BenQ to the community! At that point anyone hoping against hope that a short throw was around the corner should have put their expectations in check.

No one can predict the future but I think if you listen to your argument you’ll realize how silly it is. No company has a responsibility to make what you want. Hopefully, someone will make a 4K short throw soon. Hopefully it will be BenQ! But until they announce something it doesn’t make any sense to pine away over something that doesn’t exist.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Last edited by sage11x; 09-13-2018 at 01:35 PM.
post #85 of 198 Old 09-13-2018, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 3680 Post(s)
Liked: 2891
Quote:

It sounds as if you have never worked for a corporation. Official policy at corporations is not to discuss future product plans because they are tentative and can change for a variety of reasons. You apparently spoke to some gossipy folks who tried to be nice but didn't really know what they were talking about. If you can't let loose of something like this you are setting yourself up for a lot of disappointments in the future.

It also sounds as if you have no legal training. No legitimate legal firm would consider taking on such a flimsy case. If you don't believe this try checking in with some of your local legal firms and see what they say.
post #86 of 198 Old 09-13-2018, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh be nice to the guy. He’s frustrated. We all are.

post #87 of 198 Old 09-13-2018, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 63
This is a great thread.

I just entered the market and am looking for a 4K PJ that can do 120" with a 12' throw. Ceiling mounted. In the 2kish price range.

JDM World: https://www.youtube.com/jdmworld
GSG Full Marty Build: https://youtu.be/-U1deD_0j9c
UM18-22 Sealed Subwoofer Build: https://youtu.be/7ifac8Rh8gk
post #88 of 198 Old 09-13-2018, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked: 1264
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus99 View Post
This is a great thread.

I just entered the market and am looking for a 4K PJ that can do 120" with a 12' throw. Ceiling mounted. In the 2kish price range.
***Check this thread in three years.
3DSammy likes this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #89 of 198 Old 09-14-2018, 02:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus99 View Post
This is a great thread.

I haven’t done the math but I think the Optoma UHD50/ 51A will do that.

post #90 of 198 Old 09-14-2018, 03:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Quoted: 5646 Post(s)
Liked: 2670
Quote:
I haven’t done the math but I think the Optoma UHD50/ 51A will do that.

Yep, at 12' it can light up a 136" screen: https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...ulator-pro.htm

But that's off-topic as we're discussing short throw here which isn't 12' Anything that puts the projector in front of your feet is short throw – throw ratio 0.50:1 or closer.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole

Last edited by markus767; 09-14-2018 at 03:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page