Short Throw Projectors in 4k. Out, Coming, Announced Thread. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 35Likes

post #1 of 198 Old 01-12-2018, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Short Throw Projectors in 4k. Out, Coming, Announced Thread.

Some of us here have been waiting for news of a 4k(no what's 4k discussion here) short throw projector(s). Feel free to post Ultra Short Throw Projectors, but some of us are looking to replace our BenQ W1080st, W1085st, HT2150st etc. Those throw a 120" image from 6.5' - 8' away.

Has anything been announced at CES from Benq, Optoma, Viewsonic, LG(even Sony) or other on a short throw 4k projector in this 6'-8' for 120" throw range? BenQ is rumored to be coming out with a 2550 4k in a short throw. Was anything announced at CES about that?

Any news on LG's new short throw projector? I've heard good and bad things.

For those with contacts, please ask.

Thank you.
skoolpsyk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 198 Old 01-14-2018, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Same as you would love to upgrade but need a ST projector
post #3 of 198 Old 01-17-2018, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1805 Post(s)
Liked: 568
UHD50 is closest at 1.21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 198 Old 01-18-2018, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

I'm surprised Optoma hasn't released a short throw 4k projector in the same throw range of benQ's short throw projectors? Kind of, beat them to the punch. Now benQ is in line to dominate the short throw market again. Earliest we see the new LG short throw is April. Probably later than that. BenQ will have there's out before then. I'd be willing to spend more on a 4k projector(not crazy) if the quality/tech is better. But it has to be short throw.
post #5 of 198 Old 01-19-2018, 04:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
UHD50 is closest at 1.21

PJC calculator shows the UHD50 as throw 100" from 8.9-11.7' What are we defining as "short throw"? BenQ and Optoma "ST" projectors both do it from 5', which seems like a pretty good starting point. (and UST would be ~2'). I'm going to be watching/contributing to this thread so I just want to know what's what.

Also, Epson being the pj powerhouse it is, I think will have a 4K UST (100 LS 4K) within a year. I think they missed the mark not even giving the LS100 faux-4K but it won't take them long to remedy this but combining technologies with their UB (hopefully) line. Maybe with the laser light source they'll figure out the whole "lamp light modulation" and just tweak the 100LS, but not sure which path is less labor intensive.

No 4K issue aside, if the Epson would get darker blacks I'd buy one now as PJC was tricked into thinking they were watching 4K by the Oppo 203 scaling 4K--1080p, which mean Oppo is doing a darn good job with it.

Is there even one UST 4K besides the $20K Sony?
sage11x likes this.

Last edited by pottscb; 01-19-2018 at 04:41 AM.
post #6 of 198 Old 01-19-2018, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don’t know what constitutes a short throw vs not. I only know that the UHD50 has the shortest throw of any budget 4k pj and it’s really not even close.

post #7 of 198 Old 01-19-2018, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 21
There is a big difference between short throw Vs. Ultra short throw. For short throw projector, you still mount the projector on the ceiling but just a closer distance to the screen. However, the ultra short throw is usually placed below the screen on a stand.

Also, for the ultra short throw, you need a specially screen dedicated to using UST projector...such as the Elite Screen Aeon CLR screen. This type of screen is designed to have the projector sitting on a stand, close to the wall, and under the screen.

So the title of this thread eliminates the UST projector from Dell, Sony, LG, and Xiaomi. Other brands do only short throw, but not "ultra" short throw.
post #8 of 198 Old 01-20-2018, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post
PJC calculator shows the UHD50 as throw 100" from 8.9-11.7' What are we defining as "short throw"? BenQ and Optoma "ST" projectors both do it from 5', which seems like a pretty good starting point. (and UST would be ~2').
Thanks for pointing that out. I had mistakenly thought the UHD50 was a short-throw. I currently own a BenQ 1080ST and throw 100" at 5'1" away and sit at 9'6" for a 42 degree field of view.

I'm still amazed at how good the pic can be with a good source. So I think someone's going to have to really make a significant step up in quality. Or I'm going to have this setup for a very, very long time until some direct-view solution comes around. (100" minimum at an affordable cost).
post #9 of 198 Old 01-20-2018, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 3679 Post(s)
Liked: 2888
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoGuy View Post
There is a big difference between short throw Vs. Ultra short throw. For short throw projector, you still mount the projector on the ceiling but just a closer distance to the screen. However, the ultra short throw is usually placed below the screen on a stand. ...
UST projectors can be ceiling mounted above the screen for home video just as most UST projectors used in conference rooms and classrooms are. There are many such UST ceiling mounts available.

post #10 of 198 Old 01-20-2018, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

I'm currious about ust projectors and their advancement, and I thought others might be as well. Other than that, I'm more interested in a short throw that's 6'-8' away for 120" screen. Which is what I have now with my 2150st.

Projectors can be used from the top down, or the bottom up. Notice your projector is upside down using a ceiling mount. Right side up means you can place it on a table, or in my case, a cabinet. I'll post pics from my phone to show you. I have 2 ceiling fans in the room that I'm not moving to put in a ceiling mount. I find them obnoctious.

So basically, I'm looking for a 4k replacement for my 2150st at a similar distance for a 120" screen. But, the LG one would work for me. So there is some leway.
post #11 of 198 Old 01-20-2018, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

This is the TV cannot from the 1980's I dug out of storage. Took the cardboard backing off and put the shelf on the top level.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171216_030155_1516474775045.jpg
Views:	833
Size:	2.23 MB
ID:	2348636  

Last edited by Mr Bigins; 01-22-2018 at 02:20 PM.
post #12 of 198 Old 01-21-2018, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I?m looking for a short throw/UST that looks great in the dark but can cut through some ambient light. Those of you with ST projectors, what pj & screen material/size do you use and can you watch sports/play video games with some light in the room?

Most of the reviews state optoma has a brighter highlight but benq has stronger color brightness which provides better ambient light image. People who have experience with both, do you agree?
post #13 of 198 Old 01-22-2018, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I?m looking for a short throw/UST that looks great in the dark but can cut through some ambient light. Those of you with ST projectors, what pj & screen material/size do you use and can you watch sports/play video games with some light in the room?

Most of the reviews state optoma has a brighter highlight but benq has stronger color brightness which provides better ambient light image. People who have experience with both, do you agree?

No experience with Optoma, but I have 2 benq's. There are 2 lights in the room with 4 bulbs under the ceiling fans. I keep the front one closest to the screen off unless working on it or the stereo. The back one where the seating is off except one bulb facing back I leave on. Fairly dark(I can see the walls on the sides and above) by the screen, plenty of light in back. The BenQ HT2150st is the 1080p short throw to have currently. It's made for gaming and has a low MS lag time. But a questionable call to upgrade from the W1080st.

I throw just over 6' onto a 120" fix screen with a 1.2 gain. $300, and remember, the screen for a UST is very expensive.

Watched my Vikings get it handed to them last night on a 10' screen. Not happy, but the picture was outstanding! It seems like it took some time for the projector to break in. Picture looks better now, a year later. My PS4 Pro and Xbox X work great with the 2150st.

If you're a sports fan, be warned. With the big picture, you see soooo much more, including the stupid plays not happening in the main play, you see them in the background. Things you wouldn't see or notice on a smaller screen.

Been trying to go 4k for some time now. Can't believe there wasn't more news on short throw 4k projectors at CES.

And what is Optoma's problem? The market is there, and they're pretty close now.
post #14 of 198 Old 01-22-2018, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1687 Post(s)
Liked: 2075
Quote:
PJC calculator shows the UHD50 as throw 100" from 8.9-11.7' What are we defining as "short throw"? BenQ and Optoma "ST" projectors both do it from 5', which seems like a pretty good starting point. (and UST would be ~2'). I'm going to be watching/contributing to this thread so I just want to know what's what.

Also, Epson being the pj powerhouse it is, I think will have a 4K UST (100 LS 4K) within a year. I think they missed the mark not even giving the LS100 faux-4K but it won't take them long to remedy this but combining technologies with their UB (hopefully) line. Maybe with the laser light source they'll figure out the whole "lamp light modulation" and just tweak the 100LS, but not sure which path is less labor intensive.

No 4K issue aside, if the Epson would get darker blacks I'd buy one now as PJC was tricked into thinking they were watching 4K by the Oppo 203 scaling 4K--1080p, which mean Oppo is doing a darn good job with it.

Is there even one UST 4K besides the $20K Sony?

I imagine Epson has its hands full with all the power module failures it has to replace on all the defective projectors it sold.

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html
post #15 of 198 Old 01-22-2018, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This thread is a little ahead of its time unfortunately. Since 4K is just now starting to trickle down, ST are still a ways off at the sub 3K price point, and UST even further still. I believe that his year will be the year that the TI chipset users will hash out all of their weaknesses while traditional 3LCD start to feel the heat and pursue more competitive price points. IMO, next year will be the year to buy. I can hardly wait to see how the market gets aggressive!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #16 of 198 Old 01-24-2018, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bigins View Post
No experience with Optoma, but I have 2 benq's. There are 2 lights in the room with 4 bulbs under the ceiling fans. I keep the front one closest to the screen off unless working on it or the stereo. The back one where the seating is off except one bulb facing back I leave on. Fairly dark(I can see the walls on the sides and above) by the screen, plenty of light in back. The BenQ HT2150st is the 1080p short throw to have currently. It's made for gaming and has a low MS lag time. But a questionable call to upgrade from the W1080st.

I throw just over 6' onto a 120" fix screen with a 1.2 gain. $300, and remember, the screen for a UST is very expensive.

Watched my Vikings get it handed to them last night on a 10' screen. Not happy, but the picture was outstanding! It seems like it took some time for the projector to break in. Picture looks better now, a year later. My PS4 Pro and Xbox X work great with the 2150st.

If you're a sports fan, be warned. With the big picture, you see soooo much more, including the stupid plays not happening in the main play, you see them in the background. Things you wouldn't see or notice on a smaller screen.

Been trying to go 4k for some time now. Can't believe there wasn't more news on short throw 4k projectors at CES.

And what is Optoma's problem? The market is there, and they're pretty close now.

Re sports my favorite is people watching during baseball.

post #17 of 198 Old 01-24-2018, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juic-E-juice View Post
This thread is a little ahead of its time unfortunately. Since 4K is just now starting to trickle down, ST are still a ways off at the sub 3K price point, and UST even further still. I believe that his year will be the year that the TI chipset users will hash out all of their weaknesses while traditional 3LCD start to feel the heat and pursue more competitive price points. IMO, next year will be the year to buy. I can hardly wait to see how the market gets aggressive!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Benq said they were going to follow the ht2550 with a short throw version. Didn’t give a date.

post #18 of 198 Old 01-24-2018, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked: 2664
Quote:
I don’t know what constitutes a short throw vs not. I only know that the UHD50 has the shortest throw of any budget 4k pj and it’s really not even close.

Uhd50 is not short throw.

Most ST projectors can hit a 100” from at least 5 feet. The issue with Short throw lens are they are expensive and often carry compromises that typical lens do not (which feeds back into the expensive part).
unretarded likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #19 of 198 Old 01-24-2018, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Benq said they were going to follow the ht2550 with a short throw version. Didn’t give a date.

Source? I was requested to ask that very question and BenQ has made no announcement. While it’s certainly possible they are working on one that’s 100% speculation at this point unless you know something the rest of us don’t.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #20 of 198 Old 01-24-2018, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Source? I was requested to ask that very question and BenQ has made no announcement. While it’s certainly possible they are working on one that’s 100% speculation at this point unless you know something the rest of us don’t.

I don’t know anything but if you read through the w1700 and ht2550 benq reps have said over the phone that a short throw version of the ht2550 should be expected “soon” after the release of the ht2550.

post #21 of 198 Old 01-24-2018, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don’t know anything but if you read through the w1700 and ht2550 benq reps have said over the phone that a short throw version of the ht2550 should be expected “soon” after the release of the ht2550.

So... speculation then? Lol!

I mean, don’t get me wrong, I’m sure this is something that is going to happen eventually but I wouldn’t be telling people that one is coming out when there has been zero confirmation that such a product is close to release or even being worked on. When I asked forum members to submit questions an ST version of the HT2550 was at the top of the list. The response from my contact was: no announcement at this time.

post #22 of 198 Old 01-24-2018, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

To me that just says that people outside benqs pr department don’t know how to keep their mouth shut.

post #23 of 198 Old 01-24-2018, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Short Throw Projectors in 4k. Out, Coming, Announced Thread.

Lol!
Like I said, I’m quite sure we will eventually see a ST 4K DLP at some point. But you said: “BenQ said they were going to follow the HT2550 with a short throw version.” But the truth is: BenQ DIDN’T say that. You read somewhere that someone talked to someone else who works somewhere in BenQ and they said their might be a ST version at some point. “Didn’t give a date.” Right?

That, my friend, is speculation. Maybe BenQ announces an ST 4K next week. Or, maybe they announce one next year. Or, maybe, they don’t announce one at all. Telling people here that a product is on the way is super misleading.

post #24 of 198 Old 01-24-2018, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 78
The benq rep at another forums said they planned to come out with more 4k projectors like the ht2550, possibly improving on its shortcomings. But sounded more like late this year rather than in a month or two before they would come out with a new model.
post #25 of 198 Old 01-24-2018, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 3679 Post(s)
Liked: 2888
It certainly wouldn't seem to be much of a problem to fit an HT2550 with the short throw lens system from the HT2150ST/TH671ST. But it would require BenQ to crunch the numbers and decide there was enough of a market to make it profitable. Until they make an announcement one way or the other it's all speculative. Putting too much trust in rumors often leads to disappointment.
sage11x and unretarded like this.
post #26 of 198 Old 01-28-2018, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

That, my friend, is speculation. Maybe BenQ announces an ST 4K next week. Or, maybe they announce one next year. Or, maybe, they don?t announce one at all. Telling people here that a product is on the way is super misleading.
There?s no question about them releasing a 4K ST version if they want to stay in busI was...and it?s been reported from more than one source (regardless of the credibility)
post #27 of 198 Old 01-28-2018, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

The question is when, not if. IMO, the success of the HT2550 could be what's holding things back. Issues with the HT2550 could slow things down for a short throw release. And if the projector isn't worthy of owning, that's on BenQ. I'd rather wait for the right projector.
post #28 of 198 Old 05-01-2018, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Supposedly, the LG short throw has been released. Has anyone seen one in action? BenQ has released a 2nd sub $3,000 4k projector TK800. Has anyone heard anything on a short throw version of the TK800 from BenQ, or anything else involving a 4k short throw projector from another manufacturer?
post #29 of 198 Old 05-02-2018, 05:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Supposedly, the LG short throw has been released. Has anyone seen one in action? BenQ has released a 2nd sub $3,000 4k projector TK800. Has anyone heard anything on a short throw version of the TK800 from BenQ, or anything else involving a 4k short throw projector from another manufacturer?

Tk800 is NOT short throw. Throw ratio starts at 1.47

post #30 of 198 Old 05-02-2018, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:

Tk800 is NOT short throw. Throw ratio starts at 1.47
JRock, my short throw friend. Did you not read the sentence, "Has anyone heard anything on a SHORT THROW version of the TK800 from BenQ"?

It's there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP