Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #1 of 37 Old 01-14-2018, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Did I ruin my new projector?

I have a brand new Epson 2045. This is my first projector and I didn't realize that they could be sensitive to being turned off or unplugged at the wrong time.

I was wiring up my mount with electrical and wanted to test it out. Projector turned on fine. I wanted to power it off immediately but it wouldn't shut down so I unplugged it while it was still warming up.

Now when I turn it on, after warming up for a minute the main power lite goes off, the orange lamp light starts blinking and the fan starts going nuts.

I tried reseating the lamp but that didn't work. Going to call epson tomorrow but was hoping there was something I could do on my own.

Is it possible I ruined the lamp from doing this? Anyone have any ideas of something else I can try?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 01-14-2018, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Remove the lamp and inspect it visually to see if it popped. Put it back in maybe it'll turn on.
post #3 of 37 Old 01-14-2018, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by hominamad View Post
I have a brand new Epson 2045. This is my first projector and I didn't realize that they could be sensitive to being turned off or unplugged at the wrong time.

I was wiring up my mount with electrical and wanted to test it out. Projector turned on fine. I wanted to power it off immediately but it wouldn't shut down so I unplugged it while it was still warming up.

Now when I turn it on, after warming up for a minute the main power lite goes off, the orange lamp light starts blinking and the fan starts going nuts.

I tried reseating the lamp but that didn't work. Going to call epson tomorrow but was hoping there was something I could do on my own.

Is it possible I ruined the lamp from doing this? Anyone have any ideas of something else I can try?

Thanks!
Yes, it is possible to ruin the lamp doing this. You probably didn't ruin the projector. Follow @BattleAxeVR 's suggestion. If it doesn't work, you will probably have to buy another lamp.

Check this Light Status Reference:
https://files.support.epson.com/html...0_bl485wi.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 01-14-2018, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 415
You may want to just plug it in turn it on and let it run a bit.. I recall my Mitsubishi projector would not fire up after a power failure (pulling the plug) until is ran through a long cool down process.. Even though yours is cold now, may be in nv Ram .. see what happens if you just leave the fans. If the lamp was dead I would think the fans would not run at all.
Brian Hampton likes this.

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #5 of 37 Old 01-14-2018, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 1240
Also if you pull the lamp out use gloves as your skin oils can contribute to the lamp overheating.
post #6 of 37 Old 01-14-2018, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

I already tried pulling the lamp out and resetting it. I dont know what a popped bulb looks like but it looked normal to me. Maybe I'll try letting the fan run for a while.
post #7 of 37 Old 01-14-2018, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Unplug unit

I would unplug unit for 30+ minutes and try again, if you already haven't done it.

I also would call Epson support as they are very helpful and knowledgeable.

Good luck and let us know..
old corps likes this.

Nice Stuff!
post #8 of 37 Old 01-20-2018, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

An update to this with happy ending. Epson sent me a replacement lamp and that did the trick. They should put a big warning in the box about unplugging it too soon if it can cause this much damage.

Anyway I'm good now - and very impressed with the technical support from Epson.
post #9 of 37 Old 01-21-2018, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
An update to this with happy ending. Epson sent me a replacement lamp and that did the trick. They should put a big warning in the box about unplugging it too soon if it can cause this much damage.

Well, at least a warning like they have for «hot surface» on the lamp area. I've noticed most people have no idea these kinds of lamps can't be powered on and off and on again without cooling times. And even 3000+ lumen projectors usually don't have any indication besides a blinking light during cooling. The one on Epson projectors is even worse because it just fades on and off instead of blinking.

Anyway, it's good that this problem is solved.
post #10 of 37 Old 01-21-2018, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Maybe the other bulb will work now too ?

-Brian
post #11 of 37 Old 01-21-2018, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
They should put a big warning in the box about unplugging it too soon if it can cause this much damage.
Eh, i think you are a rare example. The cool down process is for the electronics inside, not so much the lamp.
post #12 of 37 Old 01-21-2018, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:

Thanks!
Quote:

Well, actually, they do warn the user if you take the time to RTFM.

In this case the warning is under the heading, "Turning Off the Projector" beginning on page 97 of the "User's Guide". Specifically, the warning is located at the top of page 99. Quote, "Caution: To avoid damaging the projector or lamp, never unplug the power cord when the Status light is on or flashing."

Just in case, here's a link to the User's Guide: https://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd5/cpd52412.pdf The same documentation is provided as a Projector documentation CD.

Then of course there is the additional documentation labeled Quick Setup guide who's first sentence states: "Before using the projector, make sure you read the safety instructions in the online User’s Guide." The Quick Setup guide also tells you how to "Turn on your equipment" and step 4 in that same section tells you how to turn it off; Note: To shut down the projector, press the power button twice.

https://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd5/cpd52417.pdf

But, I guess sometimes it's easier to assume ones actions are without error and blame the manufacture. After all it's just a projector, why should you RTFM?

I'm sure you're not the first and yes, kudos to Epson for covering the F'up.
sumik and Aceklub96 like this.
post #13 of 37 Old 01-21-2018, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post
Eh, i think you are a rare example. The cool down process is for the electronics inside, not so much the lamp.
Is it? I have a LED projector and it has zero cool down process, instant off. This is how all led/laser works as far as I know.

Pretty sure the cool down is for the lamp and not unrelated electronics, unless this particular Epson differs from other projectors somehow.
unretarded likes this.
post #14 of 37 Old 01-21-2018, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

In this case the warning is under the heading, "Turning Off the Projector" beginning on page 97 of the "User's Guide". Specifically, the warning is located at the top of page 99. Quote, "Caution: To avoid damaging the projector or lamp, never unplug the power cord when the Status light is on or flashing."

Just in case, here's a link to the User's Guide: https://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd5/cpd52412.pdf The same documentation is provided as a Projector documentation CD.

Then of course there is the additional documentation labeled Quick Setup guide who's first sentence states: "Before using the projector, make sure you read the safety instructions in the online User’s Guide." The Quick Setup guide also tells you how to "Turn on your equipment" and step 4 in that same section tells you how to turn it off; Note: To shut down the projector, press the power button twice.

But, I guess sometimes it's easier to assume ones actions are without error and blame the manufacture. After all it's just a projector, why should you RTFM?

Priceless
Aceklub96 likes this.
post #15 of 37 Old 01-21-2018, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1316
It varies between projectors, some projectors have no issues if they lose power, though I'm sure almost all of them can if they lose power at the least optimal moment to where some type of software bug could cause the thing to get stuck in an unruly state.

I've lost power to a Benq projector over 15 times messing with the service menu (I had to unplug the projector), didn't affect anything. I've also lost power to a JVC projector because of a bad HDMI switch causing a hard lock a few times, but I replaced the switch and it no longer happens.

Most lamps aren't going to be affected in the short term, but let it cool off for at least 30 minutes before trying to turn it back on. As far as affecting long-term lamp longevity, it's possible, but I don't know.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #16 of 37 Old 01-21-2018, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Liked: 1023
Quote:

To the OP defense, if a product is designed and built to not survive a power interruption it should be designed with adequate backup power protection built in. If not it should be highly recommended in the same setup and instruction manual they will not be responsible for failure of any kind unless you can prove it was plugged into a UPS.

Some areas of the country have momentary or longer power interruptions all the time. they are quite frequent here in the winter months.

Of course it is advised you don’t routinely do it but the design should be robust enough to take it. I have watched people unplug office projectors day in and day out rather than shutting them down properly. Are business projectors made better somehow?

I have all my equipment on a battery backup conditioned power source including the projector. Putting a scope on your line voltage would cause most people to run out and buy one.

Bud
post #17 of 37 Old 01-21-2018, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
To the OP defense, if a product is designed and built to not survive a power interruption it should be designed with adequate backup power protection built in. If not it should be highly recommended in the same setup and instruction manual they will not be responsible for failure of any kind unless you can prove it was plugged into a UPS.

Some areas of the country have momentary or longer power interruptions all the time. they are quite frequent here in the winter months.

Of course it is advised you don’t routinely do it but the design should be robust enough to take it. I have watched people unplug office projectors day in and day out rather than shutting them down properly. Are business projectors made better somehow?

I have all my equipment on a battery backup conditioned power source including the projector. Putting a scope on your line voltage would cause most people to run out and buy one.
Take your complaints and observations up with Epson Bud. I'm not Epson.

I simply pointed out that Epson does indeed inform the user that unplugging during power-up or while under power can result in damage to the projector or the projector lamp.

Caveat emptor
post #18 of 37 Old 01-21-2018, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Take your complaints and observations up with Epson Bud. I'm not Epson.

I simply pointed out that Epson does indeed inform the user that unplugging during power-up or while under power can result in damage to the projector or the projector lamp.

Caveat emptor
Of course Epson warns about this in the manual, all decent brands do. But that wasn't the point. If you go to a school where there are 50 projectors for students and teachers to use, is anyone expecting that they will read the manual? If design can be improved so that the object is self-explanatory, then it should indeed be improved.

People should read the manual, yes, but situations like this should not depend on reading the manual. If it's too expensive for brands to do what @bud16415 suggested, then a simple «do not unplug or cut power before cooling down» warning would be enough.
post #19 of 37 Old 01-21-2018, 02:08 PM

Yah, they cannot build a UPS AVR into the projector, that would make it way too heavy and bulky...

It would also be a good feature if my projector came with a reference calibration meter built into it, and all I had to do was hit a button without hooking anything up at all, and boom a perfect calibration. Sure JVC's have auto-cal, but you still have to hookup a meter.

I don't see any of those features becoming standard anytime soon, lol...
unretarded likes this.

post #20 of 37 Old 01-21-2018, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by descalabro View Post
@bud16415 suggested, then a simple «do not unplug or cut power before cooling down» warning would be enough.

Every two dollar extension cord I buy or three dollar string of Christmas lights I buy have a huge vinyl sticker around the plug end that is imposable to get off without tools spelling out the dangers of plugging something into a 120V outlet and warnings for everything you can think of electrical.

I agree that wouldn’t hurt to have one on the power cord end.

Don’t suggest it to b curry though he is not Epson.

Bud
post #21 of 37 Old 01-21-2018, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If they cant build it into the projector then they need to supply one for the other end of the inlet for the power. If they cant afford to do that then they need to design their circuitry robust enough to handle a power loss at start up. If they cant do that then they need to do what they are doing and replace lamps when they blow.

I wonder what percentage of projector owners have any type of UPS on their projector. Most I would think have a surge protector. But a lot just plug them into the pole outside.

I rarely see a thread on this subject anymore.

Bud
post #22 of 37 Old 01-21-2018, 03:27 PM

I usually have an AVR UPS hooked up, but my battery died, so deciding if I'm going to order a new battery or a new UPS. After 5+ Years, they become suspect.

However, as a temporary solution, I use A/B power from 2 different power companies with 2 different projectors, just in case of a power outage a transfer switch automatically rolls the power over to the next projector to prevent any lost time in MOVIE watching (only kidding).

post #23 of 37 Old 01-21-2018, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
I usually have an AVR UPS hooked up, but my battery died, so deciding if I'm going to order a new battery or a new UPS. After 5+ Years, they become suspect.

However, as a temporary solution, I use A/B power from 2 different power companies with 2 different projectors, just in case of a power outage a transfer switch automatically rolls the power over to the next projector to prevent any lost time in MOVIE watching (only kidding).
My battery is getting old as well and will only run my system for 10 minutes. Other than that it cleans up the power and protects ok. If the power in the house drops and isn’t just flickering. It gives me time to shut things down. I doubt I will replace batteries as well and will just buy a new one.

I like the AB power idea getting the phase matched is always problematic.

Bud
post #24 of 37 Old 01-21-2018, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
Is it? I have a LED projector and it has zero cool down process, instant off. This is how all led/laser works as far as I know.

Pretty sure the cool down is for the lamp and not unrelated electronics, unless this particular Epson differs from other projectors somehow.
Why would you need to cool down the lamp once it’s off?

Think about it
post #25 of 37 Old 01-21-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Why would you need to cool down the lamp once it’s off?

Think about it
Because of the temperature fall-off graph and the residual heat trapped inside the lamp's housing might be worse for a few seconds with a lamp that was just turned OFF but has no fan, than a lamp that is ON with a fan.

The spike in temperature from the fan being off might be quicker than the decrease in temperature from the lamp going off (at least for a few seconds). I've never measured it to find out if this is true, but think about how a fan no longer blowing on a lamp that is ALMOST as hot could actually overheat the lamp as a whole inside the housing if no residual heat can escape...

It may also overheat other components near the lamp that are more directly cooled by the fan, but this depends on how the projector is designed.

Generally, it should be ok to turn the lamp off without cooling it immediately, but every projector varies. Just like anything else, the design isn't perfect on most of these projectors, YMMV...

Last edited by coderguy; 01-21-2018 at 04:45 PM.
post #26 of 37 Old 01-21-2018, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked: 2772
My understanding has always been that the cool down cycle is designed to protect both the lamp and all internal components from soaking in high heat from thermal inertia. Many cooking appliances also have cooling fans that run for awhile after the heat is turned off to protect internal components.

However, some of Epson's models are designed with Instant Off technology so that they don't need the fan running when the projector is turned off. This is primarily intended for portable business projectors that need to be taken down quickly after, for example, a presentation by a traveling salesman at a remote location. Here's what Epson has to say about it:

Quote:
Note: With Epson's Instant Off technology, there is no cool-down period so you can pack up the projector for transport right away (if necessary).
post #27 of 37 Old 01-21-2018, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
Because of the temperature fall-off graph and the residual heat trapped inside the lamp's housing might be worse for a few seconds with a lamp that was just turned OFF but has no fan, than a lamp that is ON with a fan.

The spike in temperature from the fan being off might be quicker than the decrease in temperature from the lamp going off (at least for a few seconds). I've never measured it to find out if this is true, but think about how a fan no longer blowing on a lamp that is ALMOST as hot could actually overheat the lamp as a whole inside the housing if no residual heat can escape...

It may also overheat other components near the lamp that are more directly cooled by the fan, but this depends on how the projector is designed.

Generally, it should be ok to turn the lamp off without cooling it immediately, but every projector varies. Just like anything else, the design isn't perfect on most of these projectors, YMMV...
I’ve always been told by engineers it’s to keep the hot lamp from melting plastic casing or damaging other components.

Once the lamp is off it can no longer get hotter.
post #28 of 37 Old 01-21-2018, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hey I'm all about personal responsibility. Notice the title of my thread - Did *I* ruin my new projector? If Epson didn't send me a replacement lamp, I would have had to suck it up and fork over the dough for it - and I wouldn't have put up much of a fight if any. All I'm sayin' is that if there's a relatively common thing people do, that could damage a key component of the projector, yous shouldn't have to read up to page 97 to find out about it. And the safety instructions are around 30 bullet points of CYA obvious things, none of which mention unplugging it while it's still coming on.

I was suggesting in my follow up post, that it would be nice if they included a more obvious warning, to idiot proof it for idiots like me. I've had other appliances that had a big orange warning paper inside for things like this, or even a tag attached to the end of the plug that you can't miss. I'm not blaming Epson for my screw up.

Anyway, lesson learned, and thank you to Epson for great warranty service.

~H
post #29 of 37 Old 01-21-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
I’ve always been told by engineers it’s to keep the hot lamp from melting plastic casing or damaging other components.

Once the lamp is off it can no longer get hotter.
Maybe right, it's an interesting thought...

Could a lamp that is 98% as hot internally 1/4 second after the lamp is shut-off could rise back up if there is no air blowing over it, would it, I don't know.

post #30 of 37 Old 01-22-2018, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If I heat a steel ingot up in a furnace and I’m blowing air past it and in doing so the heat is being moved away from the hot ingot such that 1 foot from the ingot it is staying 100 degree f. Now I shut off the furnace and the blower at the same time so the ingot can’t possibly get hotter but the heat stored in the ingot even though it is cooling it is still radiating heat to the surroundings as it is 1000f then 999 then 998…., and may take some time to get down to 100f. Without removing that excess heat the temp 1 foot away will continue to go up.

That’s the reason the lamp goes off but the fan runs. The fan isn’t running to cool the lamp because the best thing for the lamp is to cool slowly. It is running to take the heat of the cooling parts away from the electronics.

My old projector ran for over a minute my new one only about 5 seconds.

It is odd Epson can design a business projector to have the plug pulled and not a theater projector.
descalabro likes this.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page