AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/)
-   -   Epson 5030ub shutting down (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/2950010-epson-5030ub-shutting-down.html)

claycmu 01-15-2018 05:57 PM

Epson 5030ub shutting down

Hello,

Own a Epson 5030ub. After an hour of viewing my projector is shutting down. I have replaced the filter, replaced the bulb, still shutting down, guessing due to heat since the side of the lamp is VERY hot. I don't have a service center near me and Epson won't let me ship it to them for repair. Any solutions I can attempt on my own?

claycmu 01-15-2018 05:58 PM

May I add that the bulb I replaced was just shy of 2,000 hours, and yes I did routinely clean the filter. The new one was "whiter" then the old one though.

old corps 01-15-2018 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claycmu (Post 55504386)
May I add that the bulb I replaced was just shy of 2,000 hours, and yes I did routinely clean the filter. The new one was "whiter" then the old one though.

Just wondering if you're 100% sure the replacement lamp is a genuine Epson OEM?:confused: There's a ton of "replacement " lamps out there that are not OEMs that can cause all kinds of problems including what you are experiencing. All kinds of clever marketing words are used to give you the impression the lamp is genuine and in fact it is not.
Good luck!

Ed

descalabro 01-16-2018 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claycmu (Post 55504384)
Hello,

Own a Epson 5030ub. After an hour of viewing my projector is shutting down. I have replaced the filter, replaced the bulb, still shutting down, guessing due to heat since the side of the lamp is VERY hot. I don't have a service center near me and Epson won't let me ship it to them for repair. Any solutions I can attempt on my own?

If it shuts down because of excessive heat, the fans should start making a lot of noise before shutting down, and there should be a temperature warning light flashing. Does this happen?

If it doesn't happen, then heat is probably not the cause.

Do you see any warning light on the projector when this happens?

xplorar 01-16-2018 11:58 AM

Its not the lamp. This is how these Epson projectors die. Shutdown timings will keep getting shorter. When things become unwatchable (immediate shutdowns), give it to Epson Service. Be prepared for possible huge motherboard / optical block replacement costs.

JWKessler 03-28-2019 08:06 PM

I've been experiancing this same issue with my 5030UB. For the past several months it has been spontaneously shutting off. You can hear the door close, then nothing. No fan and no indicator lights. It's as if the plug had been pulled. Just turning it on with the remote brings it back to life, but the lamp seems to take longer then normal to come on when this happens.

I must say I like the performance of this unit, when it's working, but I'll never buy another Epson projector. This is my second unit - the first was replaced after the lamp began flickering. That one also had the apparently common issue of the lamp not always coming on when the projector is powered up. I thought the replacement would solve that, but the replacement unit has the same issue of the lamp not always coming on, plus it would pop up an error if I enabled the Auto Iris feature. Since I didn't need that feature I just left it disabled. But now it's doing the spontaneous shutdown thing and I've about had it. This unit replaced my previous Marantz 720P projector that never gave me trouble and in fact it's still functioning.

Howard Shure 05-27-2019 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWKessler (Post 57821046)
I've been experiancing this same issue with my 5030UB. For the past several months it has been spontaneously shutting off. You can hear the door close, then nothing. No fan and no indicator lights. It's as if the plug had been pulled. Just turning it on with the remote brings it back to life, but the lamp seems to take longer then normal to come on when this happens.

I must say I like the performance of this unit, when it's working, but I'll never buy another Epson projector. This is my second unit - the first was replaced after the lamp began flickering. That one also had the apparently common issue of the lamp not always coming on when the projector is powered up. I thought the replacement would solve that, but the replacement unit has the same issue of the lamp not always coming on, plus it would pop up an error if I enabled the Auto Iris feature. Since I didn't need that feature I just left it disabled. But now it's doing the spontaneous shutdown thing and I've about had it. This unit replaced my previous Marantz 720P projector that never gave me trouble and in fact it's still functioning.

I’ve just started experiencing the same exact situation you described. Random shut downs and remote power button brings it back but takes longer than normal for the picture to appear on screen. What ever happened? Did you find a solution? I’ve only had my projector for 3 years.

rekbones 05-28-2019 07:45 AM

Have you added any other equipment to your setup recently? Make absolutely certain that CEC (the HDMI control software) is disabled in all the equipment. Sometimes just a software update can reinable this and cause all kinds of random shutdowns.