Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-15-2018, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unhappy Epson 5030ub shutting down

Hello,

Own a Epson 5030ub. After an hour of viewing my projector is shutting down. I have replaced the filter, replaced the bulb, still shutting down, guessing due to heat since the side of the lamp is VERY hot. I don't have a service center near me and Epson won't let me ship it to them for repair. Any solutions I can attempt on my own?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-15-2018, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
May I add that the bulb I replaced was just shy of 2,000 hours, and yes I did routinely clean the filter. The new one was "whiter" then the old one though.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-15-2018, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by claycmu View Post
May I add that the bulb I replaced was just shy of 2,000 hours, and yes I did routinely clean the filter. The new one was "whiter" then the old one though.

Just wondering if you're 100% sure the replacement lamp is a genuine Epson OEM? There's a ton of "replacement " lamps out there that are not OEMs that can cause all kinds of problems including what you are experiencing. All kinds of clever marketing words are used to give you the impression the lamp is genuine and in fact it is not.
Good luck!

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-16-2018, 04:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by claycmu View Post
Hello,

Own a Epson 5030ub. After an hour of viewing my projector is shutting down. I have replaced the filter, replaced the bulb, still shutting down, guessing due to heat since the side of the lamp is VERY hot. I don't have a service center near me and Epson won't let me ship it to them for repair. Any solutions I can attempt on my own?
If it shuts down because of excessive heat, the fans should start making a lot of noise before shutting down, and there should be a temperature warning light flashing. Does this happen?

If it doesn't happen, then heat is probably not the cause.

Do you see any warning light on the projector when this happens?
post #5 of 8 Old 01-16-2018, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Its not the lamp. This is how these Epson projectors die. Shutdown timings will keep getting shorter. When things become unwatchable (immediate shutdowns), give it to Epson Service. Be prepared for possible huge motherboard / optical block replacement costs.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-28-2019, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been experiancing this same issue with my 5030UB. For the past several months it has been spontaneously shutting off. You can hear the door close, then nothing. No fan and no indicator lights. It's as if the plug had been pulled. Just turning it on with the remote brings it back to life, but the lamp seems to take longer then normal to come on when this happens.

I must say I like the performance of this unit, when it's working, but I'll never buy another Epson projector. This is my second unit - the first was replaced after the lamp began flickering. That one also had the apparently common issue of the lamp not always coming on when the projector is powered up. I thought the replacement would solve that, but the replacement unit has the same issue of the lamp not always coming on, plus it would pop up an error if I enabled the Auto Iris feature. Since I didn't need that feature I just left it disabled. But now it's doing the spontaneous shutdown thing and I've about had it. This unit replaced my previous Marantz 720P projector that never gave me trouble and in fact it's still functioning.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-27-2019, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKessler View Post
I've been experiancing this same issue with my 5030UB. For the past several months it has been spontaneously shutting off. You can hear the door close, then nothing. No fan and no indicator lights. It's as if the plug had been pulled. Just turning it on with the remote brings it back to life, but the lamp seems to take longer then normal to come on when this happens.

I must say I like the performance of this unit, when it's working, but I'll never buy another Epson projector. This is my second unit - the first was replaced after the lamp began flickering. That one also had the apparently common issue of the lamp not always coming on when the projector is powered up. I thought the replacement would solve that, but the replacement unit has the same issue of the lamp not always coming on, plus it would pop up an error if I enabled the Auto Iris feature. Since I didn't need that feature I just left it disabled. But now it's doing the spontaneous shutdown thing and I've about had it. This unit replaced my previous Marantz 720P projector that never gave me trouble and in fact it's still functioning.
I’ve just started experiencing the same exact situation you described. Random shut downs and remote power button brings it back but takes longer than normal for the picture to appear on screen. What ever happened? Did you find a solution? I’ve only had my projector for 3 years.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________
Running 5.2.4, Yamaha RX-A 2070, Parasound A31, Polk LSiM 707 (Fronts), Polk LSiM 706 (Center), Polk OWM3 (Surround), Polk TL3 (Atmos), Dual HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subs, Epson 5030UB, Silver Ticket 110"
post #8 of 8 Old 05-28-2019, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Have you added any other equipment to your setup recently? Make absolutely certain that CEC (the HDMI control software) is disabled in all the equipment. Sometimes just a software update can reinable this and cause all kinds of random shutdowns.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page