Optoma HD28DSE help please, lamp failure light on at ~half lamp life. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-18-2018, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unhappy Optoma HD28DSE help please, lamp failure light on at ~half lamp life.

Hey everybody. I tried searching for my particular issue on here but couldn't dig up anything, so I apologize if this question has already been answered here.

I have an Optoma HD28DSE (1080p, 3D DLP model with "darbee") projector and a modest but I think awesome home theatre setup. I bought the projector around 1.5 years ago and hadn't had any problems with it, other than strange fan noise now and then. Yesterday, The colors on screen started flickering very strangely, back and forth from black and white and colored (not correctly colored) rapidly. It was kind of like when the projector can't decide between 3D mode and regular, and tweaks out for a moment, for you Optoma owners. I went online and read that this kind of issue is usually caused by a dirty sensor on the color wheel, so I followed the directions and attempted to clean it (I am very tech savvy and was very careful not to damage ANYTHING while doing this). I did not remove the color wheel, but just the color wheel sensor, which was held on by one screw. I gently blew the dust off of it with a small shop compressor and wiped it clean with a cotton swab, and proceeded to gently blow out any other loose dust I could find from the interior of the projector, there wasn't a lot, but some. I was actually surprised at how clean the interior was. I didn't undo any connections, cut any of the black tamper tape, or remove any components, just in case I had to send it back to optoma.

I carefully replaced the sensor and the top half and hung it back up. The problem not only persisted, but soon after, the lamp itself decided not to come back on anymore. It just quit. It started blinking the power light, and the lamp warning light came on solid. This happens whenever I attempt to turn it on. I looked online at the manual for my model and it says that particular light combo means "Lamp failure".

I believe that the lamp had around 2,000-3,000 hours (I'd tell you for certain if I could power it on, haha), which is less than half the expected lamp life per Optoma themselves in the brochure. This was the OE lamp and not a replacement or aftermarket.

We do, however, use this projector for a few to several hours every day. It is our main screen in our living room, TV shows, Movies, Xbox, everything. It is used extensively. As much as a normal family without kids would use a regular TV. It often saw 6+ hours without being powered off at all.

My main question is, for those of you who know a lot more about these things than I do, how likely is it that the issue was caused by the lamp itself, instead of the color wheel, and do you think the lamp simply needs to be replaced? Does that kind of constant use greatly degrade the life of a lamp? The replacement lamps aren't cheap, but the projector was $800 so I'd MUCH rather replace the lamp... I greatly appreciate any help or advice than you guys can give. It means a lot. Sorry for the Novela.

Thanks!!

-Chaz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-19-2018, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Update: I called tech support and they do not think it is a lamp issue, but aren't sure of what it could be. It worked fine with no color flickering while I was on the phone with them. As soon as I hung up, the fan got loud, the projector shut off, and the lamp failure light came back on again. I was able to check the lamp hours before it shut off, 2,412.

Any ideas? Apparently Optoma isn't sure either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
hd28dse , lamp failure. , Optoma , optoma hd28dse , projector lamp