Sony 45ES upgrade help ? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 48 Old 01-30-2018, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
Oh, I'm sure the 5040 is no slouch. That said, you still may want to take a good, hard look at your screen and lighting before dropping the coin on a new PJ just to end up disappointed in the end. Don't get me wrong. A new PJ MIGHT be the right solution for you. You just want to make sure first.
My ligting will be addressed for sure and I’ll be doing that in the next couple days. Before purchasing a screen I’ve decided to try the projector route only because if I’m not happy with the results I can return it much easier. I’m still researching at this point but really liked what I’ve read about the 5040ub.
WvTheater is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 48 Old 01-30-2018, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bix26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,126
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by WvTheater View Post
My ligting will be addressed for sure and I’ll be doing that in the next couple days. Before purchasing a screen I’ve decided to try the projector route only because if I’m not happy with the results I can return it much easier. I’m still researching at this point but really liked what I’ve read about the 5040ub.


I’ve heard rumors that Epson has a press release that is coming next week during the ISE convention. You might want to wait, if there is an updated version they might come down in price.
bix26 is offline  
post #33 of 48 Old 01-30-2018, 03:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Friendly Fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by WvTheater View Post
That makes sense and honestly I'm super impressed with the Sony when all the lights are off.
Totally agree, I have an older Sony that on paper isn't impressive but on a good screen with total light control it's magic. For what it's worth I run it with a Darby Darblet and Oppo 203 and I have yet to audition a 4K rig that is so much better that it makes me want to ignite my credit card.

JVCs do black like no other, Epsons are blowtorches that do well in high light environments but for watching movies in a dark room I keep coming back to Sony.
Friendly Fire is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 48 Old 01-30-2018, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
I’ve heard rumors that Epson has a press release that is coming next week during the ISE convention. You might want to wait, if there is an updated version they might come down in price.
Thanks for the heads up. I’ll definitely wait and see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendly Fire View Post
Totally agree, I have an older Sony that on paper isn't impressive but on a good screen with total light control it's magic. For what it's worth I run it with a Darby Darblet and Oppo 203 and I have yet to audition a 4K rig that is so much better that it makes me want to ignite my credit card.

JVCs do black like no other, Epsons are blowtorches that do well in high light environments but for watching movies in a dark room I keep coming back to Sony.
I’ve considered the Oppo. I had a 981 and loved it.
WvTheater is offline  
post #35 of 48 Old 01-31-2018, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Montucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: San Antonio, Tejas
Posts: 1,703
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by WvTheater View Post
Before purchasing a screen I’ve decided to try the projector route only because if I’m not happy with the results I can return it much easier.
Oh, I didn't mean just tossing a new screen up there. That WOULD be a pain in case it wasn't the right thing to do. I mean to try samples. You can get screen companies to send you samples of various materials to see how they react with your existing projector and environment. You just hold up like a 1 foot sample board. Helps you get an idea of what it will do for you.
Montucky is offline  
post #36 of 48 Old 01-31-2018, 07:39 AM
Newbie
 
d56alpine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
45es ot

I am getting ready to purchase the Sony 45ES and found this thread. I just want to say I LOVE your multipurpose room! Well designed-I'm thinking I need to add a gaming desk to my media room now.
d56alpine is offline  
post #37 of 48 Old 01-31-2018, 07:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Despoiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I don't think it's the 45ES. The 45ES has a comparatively higher calibrated brightness for it's price bracket. At mid zoom distance for the screen size the low lamp mode is still higher than what you'd find a movie theater calibrated to. I think this can be resolved through the other parts of your setup.

How far away is your PJ mounted from the screen? What lamp mode do you run it in? How many hours on the lamp? Have you calibrated the PJ at all(disc, colorimeter, professional)?

|| Samsung N8000 || Oppo Digital UDP-203 || Chromecast Ultra ||

|| Quad S-2 || Pass ACA Amp ||

Last edited by Despoiler; 02-01-2018 at 07:18 AM.
Despoiler is offline  
post #38 of 48 Old 01-31-2018, 08:49 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,471
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by WvTheater View Post
Looking at some reviews today I’m impressed by the reported lumen numbers on the 5040ub and most are saying black levels are better than the Sony as well. I’m thinking of expanding my budget as this seems like it fits the bill.
The Epson 5040ub would be a better fit for your large screen size. It is discernibly brighter than the 45ES. And it has superior black levels with the dynamic iris enabled . However it's native contrast is lower than the Sony 45ES.
LumensLover is offline  
post #39 of 48 Old 01-31-2018, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
Oh, I didn't mean just tossing a new screen up there. That WOULD be a pain in case it wasn't the right thing to do. I mean to try samples. You can get screen companies to send you samples of various materials to see how they react with your existing projector and environment. You just hold up like a 1 foot sample board. Helps you get an idea of what it will do for you.
Any you would recommend to try for under 2k ? Any opinions on something like the Cinegrey 5D from Elite ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d56alpine View Post
I am getting ready to purchase the Sony 45ES and found this thread. I just want to say I LOVE your multipurpose room! Well designed-I'm thinking I need to add a gaming desk to my media room now.
Thanks ! I finally have a second row of seats coming soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
The Epson 5040ub would be a better fit for your large screen size. It is discernibly brighter than the 45ES. And it has superior black levels with the dynamic iris enabled . However it's native contrast is lower than the Sony 45ES.
For sports viewing only with ambient light in the back of the room do you think the 5040 would give me a better picture than the 3700 ? I'm still looking at possibly the two projector setup as well.
WvTheater is offline  
post #40 of 48 Old 01-31-2018, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AV_Integrated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Northern, VA - Washington, DC
Posts: 6,434
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1564 Post(s)
Liked: 1158
I wouldn't get the 5040 over the 3700 as a secondary projector for use strictly with some ambient light on. Contrast is almost always about black level and when you have lights on, your need brightness over a good black level. This is why I would give a strong recommendation to the 3700 in your situation.

But, first, I would deal with the indirect lighting falling on the screen as that should completely resolve the issue.
steve1106 likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
AV_Integrated is offline  
post #41 of 48 Old 01-31-2018, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 8,114
Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3679 Post(s)
Liked: 2888
Quote:
Originally Posted by WvTheater View Post
... For sports viewing only with ambient light in the back of the room do you think the 5040 would give me a better picture than the 3700 ? I'm still looking at possibly the two projector setup as well.
Sports viewing doesn't benefit much from deep black levels and deep black levels are compromised by ambient light anyway. The Epson 3700 is a good recommendation for sports viewing only in ambient light. I don't think there's a good case for spending all the extra money for a 5040UB. However, the Epson 4000 might be worth considering. The 4000 is essentially the same as the 5040UB except for LCD panels that don't produce the same black levels, and it costs hundreds less. Blacks and contrast should be similar between the 3700 and 4000 but the 4000 is a more premium model with more features that you may or may not need for sports viewing. Independent testing has shown the 3700 can produce a maximum 3,400 lumens in brightest mode while the 4000 maxes out at 2,900 lumens.
Dave in Green is offline  
post #42 of 48 Old 02-02-2018, 05:06 AM
Member
 
double_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm in the camp of don't buy a new projector until you try a different screen and rearrange the lighting. I have the 45ES and a 110" CineGray 3D screen and my room can have a decent amount of ambient light. When I put the 45ES in Bright TV mode it is definitely bright enough and still has really good contrast. I know you're at 130" screen. But I feel unless you spend way more than $2000 on a projector you aren't going to see an improvement worth that much.
double_b is offline  
post #43 of 48 Old 02-02-2018, 05:22 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,471
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by WvTheater View Post
Any you would recommend to try for under 2k ? Any opinions on something like the Cinegrey 5D from Elite ?

Thanks ! I finally have a second row of seats coming soon.


For sports viewing only with ambient light in the back of the room do you think the 5040 would give me a better picture than the 3700 ? I'm still looking at possibly the two projector setup as well.
I would recommend the Epson 5040ub for movies and sports. However if you're only going to be watching sports in that room, I would recommend the Epson Home Cinema 3700.

Last edited by LumensLover; 02-02-2018 at 09:49 AM.
LumensLover is offline  
post #44 of 48 Old 02-02-2018, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Plasma George's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Fighting City of Philadelphia
Posts: 1,788
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Excellent space !, well done.
I have a similar setup, where we entertain with a bar area and pool table and many sets of lights that need to be on when we're having a Party, but knowing most of that lighting washes out the Image. When we're hosting a party, the TV isn't the main focus, but I have it on just to showoff !
With that said,
I've done some things for each light source to minimize how much light it throws on the screen. I have many sets of high hats, all on dimmers, and I've pushed the light sockets as far up into the metal housing so it creates a thinner light cone throwing directly below the light. I also use the smallest bulb I can find, to also limit the horizontal light path.
My pool table light has 3 metal light housings that only throw light directly down onto the pool table, very little hits the screen.
You can also get creative with baffles to block the light from hitting the screen.
Sconces we both have throw all kinds of light on screen, but the wife wanted them and they do have a cool Theater feel, but they're using old school bulbs that can really get low dim, just so you see them glow, but minimal affect on screen.


I test/play with my lighting all the time, I'll go down there before turning on the PJ, and start turning lights on and watch how it affects the screen. Light hitting any screen will wash any PJ image out.


https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...iii-build.html
There are 2 types of people in this world - home theater enthusiasts and idiots
Plasma George is offline  
post #45 of 48 Old 02-02-2018, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Montucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: San Antonio, Tejas
Posts: 1,703
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma George View Post
Excellent space !, well done.
I have a similar setup, where we entertain with a bar area and pool table and many sets of lights that need to be on when we're having a Party, but knowing most of that lighting washes out the Image. When we're hosting a party, the TV isn't the main focus, but I have it on just to showoff !
With that said,
I've done some things for each light source to minimize how much light it throws on the screen. I have many sets of high hats, all on dimmers, and I've pushed the light sockets as far up into the metal housing so it creates a thinner light cone throwing directly below the light. I also use the smallest bulb I can find, to also limit the horizontal light path.
My pool table light has 3 metal light housings that only throw light directly down onto the pool table, very little hits the screen.
You can also get creative with baffles to block the light from hitting the screen.
Sconces we both have throw all kinds of light on screen, but the wife wanted them and they do have a cool Theater feel, but they're using old school bulbs that can really get low dim, just so you see them glow, but minimal affect on screen.


I test/play with my lighting all the time, I'll go down there before turning on the PJ, and start turning lights on and watch how it affects the screen. Light hitting any screen will wash any PJ image out.
Excellent ideas all the way around! The more I think about it, the more I believe OP will benefit first and foremost by working on the lighting situation. Which is awesome because it would not only be the cheapest and simplest thing to do, but possibly the most effective improvement he could make!
Montucky is offline  
post #46 of 48 Old 02-02-2018, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by double_b View Post
I'm in the camp of don't buy a new projector until you try a different screen and rearrange the lighting. I have the 45ES and a 110" CineGray 3D screen and my room can have a decent amount of ambient light. When I put the 45ES in Bright TV mode it is definitely bright enough and still has really good contrast. I know you're at 130" screen. But I feel unless you spend way more than $2000 on a projector you aren't going to see an improvement worth that much.
I've considered downgrading in size to a 120" or smaller if I upgrade to a ALR.. My screen now is actually a 135" (not sure why I said 130")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma George View Post
Excellent space !, well done.
I have a similar setup, where we entertain with a bar area and pool table and many sets of lights that need to be on when we're having a Party, but knowing most of that lighting washes out the Image. When we're hosting a party, the TV isn't the main focus, but I have it on just to showoff !
With that said,
I've done some things for each light source to minimize how much light it throws on the screen. I have many sets of high hats, all on dimmers, and I've pushed the light sockets as far up into the metal housing so it creates a thinner light cone throwing directly below the light. I also use the smallest bulb I can find, to also limit the horizontal light path.
My pool table light has 3 metal light housings that only throw light directly down onto the pool table, very little hits the screen.
You can also get creative with baffles to block the light from hitting the screen.
Sconces we both have throw all kinds of light on screen, but the wife wanted them and they do have a cool Theater feel, but they're using old school bulbs that can really get low dim, just so you see them glow, but minimal affect on screen.


I test/play with my lighting all the time, I'll go down there before turning on the PJ, and start turning lights on and watch how it affects the screen. Light hitting any screen will wash any PJ image out.
I've already been playing with the lighting after some suggestions.. I have improved it some and I've found the lamp in the back of the room and lighted posters actually make a huge difference but I just feel its too dark with them off for a sports viewing type of situation. You have some good suggestions that I'll definitely look into.
WvTheater is offline  
post #47 of 48 Old 02-03-2018, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Plasma George's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Fighting City of Philadelphia
Posts: 1,788
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by WvTheater View Post
I've considered downgrading in size to a 120" or smaller if I upgrade to a ALR.. My screen now is actually a 135" (not sure why I said 130")



I've already been playing with the lighting after some suggestions.. I have improved it some and I've found the lamp in the back of the room and lighted posters actually make a huge difference but I just feel its too dark with them off for a sports viewing type of situation. You have some good suggestions that I'll definitely look into.
You can't have Lamps anywhere near a projector screen, far too much random light. If you need light in that area I'd install high hats or track lighting, then you will have 100% control of the light. I have a 3800sq ft home, not one lamp.
Unfortunately your lighted posters are a problem if you want them on, unless there's a way to put them on a dimmer ? Also, because they're Blue, they're going to mess with the color spectrum on the screen. Everything will be shifted towards blue, and if your a PQ freak like me, that's simply unacceptable.


https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...iii-build.html
There are 2 types of people in this world - home theater enthusiasts and idiots

Last edited by Plasma George; 02-03-2018 at 07:23 AM.
Plasma George is offline  
post #48 of 48 Old 02-03-2018, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma George View Post
You can't have Lamps anywhere near a projector screen, far too much random light. If you need light in that area I'd install high hats or track lighting, then you will have 100% control of the light. I have a 3800sq ft home, not one lamp.
Unfortunately your lighted posters are a problem if you want them on, unless there's a way to put them on a dimmer ? Also, because they're Blue, they're going to mess with the color spectrum on the screen. Everything will be shifted towards blue, and if your a PQ freak like me, that's simply unacceptable.
After testing and playing with the lights for 2 days the lamp is having the most impact. I’ve put the posters on wemo smart plugs so I can turn them off easily.

I’ve still decided to upgrade the pj and move down to a 120” screen. In the past year I’ve put 170h on the Sony and 140 of that was watching sports with the lights on. I’m going to sell the Sony and allow myself a higher budget of 3k for a new projector.
WvTheater is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off