Review: Benq HT2050A - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78Likes

post #181 of 281 Old 07-06-2018, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
The fan on the HT2050A is quieter than the Viewsonic’s fan. Fan noise on the 7827 is a common complaint.
That's good to know about the BenQ. I posted in the Viewsonic owners thread that with fan noise to the side, after testing several scenes from various movies today, the Detail of the Viewsonic was far inferior to my 14 year old 720p Panasonic AE500U. Granted, the Viewsonic was brighter and much better contrast, but was surprised at how bad the detail was. With that said, no matter how hard I tried to focus, and got it as good as I could, some words on the Screen were still fuzzy, but I couldn't get it better. It got fuzzier left or right. When I tested the same on Panasonic, with it focused, the words were super shart.
That could be the worse detail I was seeing in the images, especially in background images. So, maybe the focus is bad on the second Viewsonic. Either way, combination of the loud fan and the poor image quality, I'm not happy.

Hoping the BenQ is sharp and the detail is at least as good as my 14 year old Panasonic. My wife says I have champagne taste on a beer budget with Home Theater. Everything I have is best bang for the buck.
sage11x likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 281 Old 07-06-2018, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
I was reading that any projector is brightest with the lens at its widest setting.
That's the EXACT same thing I've read over and over on other sites. They said that with it opened wider, more light is escaped. The smaller image means a narrowing and less light output. At least that is what I have read in many places and thought I finally understood. Now I'm confused again. But, I'd take what Dreamer says over some other sites I've read, just trying to get my mind around it now as I thought I had it down until now.
post #183 of 281 Old 07-06-2018, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
That's the EXACT same thing I've read over and over on other sites. They said that with it opened wider, more light is escaped. The smaller image means a narrowing and less light output. At least that is what I have read in many places and thought I finally understood. Now I'm confused again. But, I'd take what Dreamer says over some other sites I've read, just trying to get my mind around it now as I thought I had it down until now.

So...does that mean we’re right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 281 Old 07-06-2018, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
So...does that mean we’re right?

May be you are both right.

Let us assume the projector has fixed light output for every zoom level. In this case the total amount of light gets distributed to the entire screen. A 60' screen will be 4 times brighter than a 120' since same amount of light will now be used to light up a small screen as well.So If your projetor can manage 60-120 from the same location 60' image will be 4 times brighter.

But let us keep the screen distance the same and move around the projector. Let us say you want to use 120' screen but can mount the projector at any distance between 10" or 15". So in this case depending on where the projector is mounted you will end up zooming. But since you are using the same screen size in the ideal world you will get the brightness. But there are some factors that might affect the brightness, the distance from the screen to the projector, some part of the lense might not be used etc. But the amount of light used due to this is typically in the range of 5-20% depending on the projector. Many review sites measure this and publish the numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #185 of 281 Old 07-06-2018, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbnpaul View Post

Let us assume the projector has fixed light output for every zoom level. In this case the total amount of light gets distributed to the entire screen. A 60' screen will be 4 times brighter than a 120' since same amount of light will now be used to light up a small screen as well.So If your projetor can manage 60-120 from the same location 60' image will be 4 times brighter.

But let us keep the screen distance the same and move around the projector. Let us say you want to use 120' screen but can mount the projector at any distance between 10" or 15". So in this case depending on where the projector is mounted you will end up zooming. But since you are using the same screen size in the ideal world you will get the brightness. But there are some factors that might affect the brightness, the distance from the screen to the projector, some part of the lense might not be used etc. But the amount of light used due to this is typically in the range of 5-20% depending on the projector. Many review sites measure this and publish the numbers.

Gotcha. Thanks!! Good explanation.
post #186 of 281 Old 07-07-2018, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 2701
Quote:
That's good to know about the BenQ. I posted in the Viewsonic owners thread that with fan noise to the side, after testing several scenes from various movies today, the Detail of the Viewsonic was far inferior to my 14 year old 720p Panasonic AE500U. Granted, the Viewsonic was brighter and much better contrast, but was surprised at how bad the detail was. With that said, no matter how hard I tried to focus, and got it as good as I could, some words on the Screen were still fuzzy, but I couldn't get it better. It got fuzzier left or right. When I tested the same on Panasonic, with it focused, the words were super shart.
That could be the worse detail I was seeing in the images, especially in background images. So, maybe the focus is bad on the second Viewsonic. Either way, combination of the loud fan and the poor image quality, I'm not happy.

Hoping the BenQ is sharp and the detail is at least as good as my 14 year old Panasonic. My wife says I have champagne taste on a beer budget with Home Theater. Everything I have is best bang for the buck.

There is nothing wrong with champagne taste on a beer budget! That's half the fun of this hobby-- not having to be a millionaire to enjoy your own theater! I own an HT2050 and for over two years it was the center of my 'baller on a budget' home theater. Not every one has the money to waste or even the desire to waste money on stuff that, let's be honest, doesn't really matter in the greater scheme of things. I've been reading in another thread and there is a member here who has relegated his $15,000 projector to gaming only as his $8,000 projector has better contrast for movies. I can confidently say: I'm not on that level and, even if I were, I'd hope I'd find better things to spend my money on.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #187 of 281 Old 07-07-2018, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
There is nothing wrong with champagne taste on a beer budget! That's half the fun of this hobby-- not having to be a millionaire to enjoy your own theater! I own an HT2050 and for over two years it was the center of my 'baller on a budget' home theater. Not every one has the money to waste or even the desire to waste money on stuff that, let's be honest, doesn't really matter in the greater scheme of things. I've been reading in another thread and there is a member here who has relegated his $15,000 projector to gaming only as his $8,000 projector has better contrast for movies. I can confidently say: I'm not on that level and, even if I were, I'd hope I'd find better things to spend my money on.
I understand that. I typically don't spend money on myself. This is the first upgrade I've had in 14 years.

FYI.....I found some M4x22 and M4x25 Hex screws today at Lowes. They are Button, so I"ll need to use a washer but should be good for mounting the BenQ to the Peerless Mount if I go with that option.
post #188 of 281 Old 07-18-2018, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My projector was a BenQ ht1075. It has served me well for years now but is near death and have been looking into and trying out replacements. I really like the ht2050a on paper but when compared to the ht1075 side by side me and my wife liked the image of the ht1075 better. The main issue we are having is with people's faces have too much detail in a way and inconsistent (blotchy). More specifically with makeup/cover-up being very obvious to the point of distancing. Ears are the worst, looking glowing red or dark orange in most cases. I returned the ht2050a and got a ht3050 thinking better color calibration would help. It did not. So I'm back to my old dark, laggy, juddery and dying ht1075.
If anyone has some advice it would be greatly appreciated.
I'd prefer to stick with BenQ because they have been very good to me over the years and I love having their headquarters being only an hour's drive from me.
I have:
120" Sliver Ticket bright white screen in small room with not totally blacked out windows.
Max throw distance is 10.5' or must use horizontal keystone

We watch a lot of cable TV shows and HD movies as well as play video games. Project is on 4 to 8 hours every day.

Thank you all for your time. I've been a long time visitor to these boards but this is my first time posting.

-Floor
post #189 of 281 Old 07-18-2018, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floor0272 View Post
The main issue we are having is with people's faces have too much detail in a way and inconsistent (blotchy). More specifically with makeup/cover-up being very obvious to the point of distancing. Ears are the worst, looking glowing red or dark orange in most cases. I returned the ht2050a and got a ht3050 thinking better color calibration would help. It did not. So I'm back to my old dark, laggy, juddery and dying ht1075.
If anyone has some advice it would be greatly appreciated.

I have not experienced the blotchy color you are talking about. The fact that you tried an HT3050 and saw the same thing makes it unlikely you just got faulty units of two different models. You did not mention what display mode you were using, or what your sources were. Since it appears on both newer projectors but not the HT1075, it really sounds like something is wrong with your source and the HT1075 does not show t due to poorer quality lens and dim lamp. You can see in my screenshots the smoothness of the image on my HT2050A. The only times I have noticed any blotchiness was with some Hulu or Netflix material with poor bandwidth issues.

If I were you, I would get another HT2050A and methodically eliminate all sources of error outside the projector -- new HDMI cable direct from source to projector, settings on source -- and then go through the HT2050A settings to start with the settings I provided above for mode, lamp temperature, color, brightness and contrast adjustments. Then play a known set of calibration material -- the Disney WOW bluray or youtube of AVS Rec 709 test patterns. Then go back to the material you were disappointed with in terms of blotchy colors and skin tones.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
post #190 of 281 Old 07-19-2018, 12:38 AM

Mostly we watch DirecTV or Netflix, Vudu and Hulu on my PS4. I really noticed the bright red ears (only on one person) when streaming HD episodes of Teachers from my computer. When watching HD filmed shows (not recorded live) on cable or streaming from the ps4 if anyone is wearing concealer to cover skin imperfections it really stands out. I can't imagine that it was intended by the film makers for me to see that. Another big issue was watching Say Yes the the Dress where everyone is bathed in bright lights and surrounded by white walls. The image on the ht2050a was so washed out you could not make out any details in lace dress. They were just sheets of white. We might as have been watching Neo gearing up before entering the Matix or the end of 2001.

Everything passes through a Sony STRDH520 7.1 amplifier. Then running up an 35' hdmi cable to the projector.
I don't believe it's a defect in the projectors but more of something wrong with the settings or we're just too used to the lack of detail from the ht1075.
Nether me or my wife can recall having any issues when watching blu rays with the ht2050a. In fact it was awesome! Unfortunately we watch a lot tv so I have to have a projector that can do both. If I had room for my projector screen and a TV in my room I'd be set. 🙂

Sorry I really wish I would have taken pictures.

Side note: I've been having split second flashes of green with the ht1075 which BenQ service couldn't recreate in their shop. I believe it's a problem with the projector because it never happened with the other two projectors and it happened even when the projector is in eco black.
post #191 of 281 Old 07-19-2018, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floor0272 View Post
Mostly we watch DirecTV or Netflix, Vudu and Hulu on my PS4.

Everything passes through a Sony STRDH520 7.1 amplifier. Then running up an 35' hdmi cable to the projector.
I don't believe it's a defect in the projectors but more of something wrong with the settings or we're just too used to the lack of detail from the ht1075.

Those all seem like red flags to me. Long cable, PS4 streaming, DirecTV which is only 1080i and always oversaturated colors, using a PC graphics card with all its own settings to check, and going through a Sony AVR. I would try a new HDMI cable first, then try the new cable direct from each source, bypassing the Sony AVR. The only way to troubleshoot is to eliminate as many variables as possible and then once the culprit is found decide what setting can ameliorate the problem. My Harmon Kardon AVR never worked right passing thru the HDMI to my W1070, but it was HDMI handshaking dropouts rather than color or pixelation problems. I bought a $40 HDMI switch that works with no problems and sends the audio (but no HDMI) to my HK AVR.

Kirk Ellis
post #192 of 281 Old 07-19-2018, 02:30 AM

That totally makes sand I will start the elimination process asap. I also really like the idea of using a hdmi switch. I loved my Yamaha RX-V377-R 5.1 amp but had to get the Sony for more inputs (and I wanted 7.1 but have gotten over it). Glad I never had the heart to get rid of my yamaha.
Thanks you so much for your help and I'll be sure post all updates. 🙂
post #193 of 281 Old 07-19-2018, 02:31 AM

*Totally makes sense*
post #194 of 281 Old 07-19-2018, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbnpaul View Post

So I'm in the middle of setting up a room for a 2050a on a 135" screen. I can move the PJ from as close as possible to almost 25' back. Should I be looking to mount it further back to make it brighter? Now I'm confused again to where the best location would be.
post #195 of 281 Old 07-19-2018, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckbutter48 View Post
So I'm in the middle of setting up a room for a 2050a on a 135" screen. I can move the PJ from as close as possible to almost 25' back. Should I be looking to mount it further back to make it brighter? Now I'm confused again to where the best location would be.
No. The closest possible position on any projector with a zoom lens allows more light to pass through the lens. You should stay away from extremes so you have some wiggle room, but 6 inches further than what the calculator shows as minimum distance allow that wiggle room and is going to be brighter than the further distances.

Kirk Ellis
post #196 of 281 Old 07-20-2018, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
No. The closest possible position on any projector with a zoom lens allows more light to pass through the lens. You should stay away from extremes so you have some wiggle room, but 6 inches further than what the calculator shows as minimum distance allow that wiggle room and is going to be brighter than the further distances.
I want to make sure I understand as I think what you said is what I've always read and maybe misunderstood you last time. Or maybe misunderstanding now.

I'm going to make up this scenario

PJ mounted at 10'. The smallest image it will give is 100" and the largest image is 120" with zoom maxed. This means that the "Closest" possible position for 120" is at 10' with Maximum Zoom. This would be brighter than moving the PJ back to 12' with less Zoom for 120". This is how I understand it, and after reading this, I believe it matches.

I'm I good or still off?
post #197 of 281 Old 07-20-2018, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm I good or still off?

You are good. 10' will be brighter than 12' for a 120" image.
sage11x likes this.

Kirk Ellis
post #198 of 281 Old 10-16-2018, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Projector turning on/off by itself - help!

Is there some functionality in the BenQ HT2050a projector that would allow it to turn on/off by itself?

Earlier today I found the projector running with no one in the basement. Chewed out my kids a bit for leaving it on, even though they were adamant about not having used it. Then just now we got home from a soccer match, and heard the projector make the beep it normally makes when turning off. Sure enough I felt the case and it was warm! Definitely I did not leave it running before we left for the soccer match.

Obviously I am concerned given the cost of bulb replacement. Can't have this projector turning on at night or when I am out, burning valuable bulb hours. Has anyone encountered this issue with this or other projectors? Maybe there is some setting I should change to prevent this behavior? Perhaps some other remote in the household is sending an ON signal to the projector.

Edit: Want to add that I checked and both the HDMI CEC and the Direct Power settings are turned off in the projector menu.

Last edited by indio22; 10-16-2018 at 08:23 PM.
post #199 of 281 Old 10-16-2018, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by indio22 View Post
Is there some functionality in the BenQ HT2050a projector that would allow it to turn on/off by itself?

Earlier today I found the projector running with no one in the basement. Chewed out my kids a bit for leaving it on, even though they were adamant about not having used it. Then just now we got home from a soccer match, and heard the projector make the beep it normally makes when turning off. Sure enough I felt the case and it was warm! Definitely I did not leave it running before we left for the soccer match.

Obviously I am concerned given the cost of bulb replacement. Can't have this projector turning on at night or when I am out, burning valuable bulb hours. Has anyone encountered this issue with this or other projectors? Maybe there is some setting I should change to prevent this behavior? Perhaps some other remote in the household is sending an ON signal to the projector.

Edit: Want to add that I checked and both the HDMI CEC and the Direct Power settings are turned off in the projector menu.

It sounds like maybe there is a cooling fan problem. If the projector gets too hot it turns off the bulb, but not the projector. Then when the bulb cools back down it automatically turns back on. Try turning the projector off next time it’s on. Wait a few hours to see if it turns back on by itself. If that doesn’t work unplug it and plug it back in. My current projector has an auto on feature. This allows it to turn itself on when it receives a power from something like a power strip. faulty wiring or a outlet switch could enact the auto power on function. I doubt it would be another remote as it only has infrared not an rf remote.

If it’s not any of these things you defiantly have a very mischievous poltergeist living in your home.
indio22 likes this.
post #200 of 281 Old 10-17-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
It sounds like maybe there is a cooling fan problem. If the projector gets too hot it turns off the bulb, but not the projector. Then when the bulb cools back down it automatically turns back on. Try turning the projector off next time it’s on. Wait a few hours to see if it turns back on by itself. If that doesn’t work unplug it and plug it back in. My current projector has an auto on feature. This allows it to turn itself on when it receives a power from something like a power strip. faulty wiring or a outlet switch could enact the auto power on function. I doubt it would be another remote as it only has infrared not an rf remote.

If it’s not any of these things you defiantly have a very mischievous poltergeist living in your home.
Thanks for the suggestions. I unplugged the projector last night. But going forward will document when we turn it on/off, and see when this issue occurs in relation to that. Currently I have both the HDMI wakeup (CEC) and Direct Power (wake on receiving outlet power) off. Your point about infrared is something I did not think about, so that would rule out interference from remotes or devices in other rooms of the house. The only other infrared remote in the basement theater location is for the receiver, so probably I should make sure it is not sending some ON signal for a button. Also the basement wiring is a kluge from previous owner, spaghetti nest of armored flex cable. I should probably wire a better outlet to the projector, preferably on a filter or at least spike protection device.
post #201 of 281 Old 10-17-2018, 09:29 AM

Interesting just now, after having been unplugged overnight, I plugged the projector cord back into the outlet - and it turned on with lamp and all. So it seems like the projector is set to turn on whenever it receives power to the power chord. And probably I found the projector on after returning home yesterday, because there was a power fluctuation or short outage which happens too often in my neighborhood, and the projector thought it should turn on after receiving the power.

But the strange thing - I have the "Direct Power On" setting set to OFF in the projector menu. So I am at a loss why giving power to the projector is causing it to automatically turn on.
post #202 of 281 Old 10-17-2018, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Interesting just now, after having been unplugged overnight, I plugged the projector cord back into the outlet - and it turned on with lamp and all. So it seems like the projector is set to turn on whenever it receives power to the power chord. And probably I found the projector on after returning home yesterday, because there was a power fluctuation or short outage which happens too often in my neighborhood, and the projector thought it should turn on after receiving the power.

But the strange thing - I have the "Direct Power On" setting set to OFF in the projector menu. So I am at a loss why giving power to the projector is causing it to automatically turn on.

Maybe it’s some bug that’s caused the “direct power on” option to be stuck. A “reset all settings” might fix the problem.
post #203 of 281 Old 10-17-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Maybe it’s some bug that’s caused the “direct power on” option to be stuck. A “reset all settings” might fix the problem.
I selected the "reset all settings" menu option, powered down the projector, let it sit for an hour, then plugged the power cord back into the outlet. Projector turned on by itself.

I verified again the "direct power on" and hdmi "cec" settings are off. I can't have this projector turning on by itself wasting lamp hours. I've had this projector maybe two months and it was not doing this when I first got it. Behavior only started within the past few days.
post #204 of 281 Old 10-17-2018, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I selected the "reset all settings" menu option, powered down the projector, let it sit for an hour, then plugged the power cord back into the outlet. Projector turned on by itself.

I verified again the "direct power on" and hdmi "cec" settings are off. I can't have this projector turning on by itself wasting lamp hours. I've had this projector maybe two months and it was not doing this when I first got it. Behavior only started within the past few days.

That’s really strange. Maybe try turning “direct power on” on. It might be reversed somehow. Or if you toggle the option on and off a few times it might get unstuck. If nothing else works BenQ’s warranty support is very good from what I’ve heard.
post #205 of 281 Old 10-17-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
That’s really strange. Maybe try turning “direct power on” on. It might be reversed somehow. Or if you toggle the option on and off a few times it might get unstuck. If nothing else works BenQ’s warranty support is very good from what I’ve heard.
Yep, I should have mentioned, the first thing I tried was setting the "direct power on" to ON, thinking maybe it was reversed or something. But the projector still turned itself on. So then I tried the full reset option. I did a web search earlier, and most people having this issue, had the "direct power on" or hdmi "cec" set to ON. I'll probably try some more web searches, and if nothing then try BenQ support.
post #206 of 281 Old 10-17-2018, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yep, I should have mentioned, the first thing I tried was setting the "direct power on" to ON, thinking maybe it was reversed or something. But the projector still turned itself on. So then I tried the full reset option. I did a web search earlier, and most people having this issue, had the "direct power on" or hdmi "cec" set to ON. I'll probably try some more web searches, and if nothing then try BenQ support.

Or you could just hire this guy

kevin g. likes this.
post #207 of 281 Old 11-08-2018, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
HEKLO all I'm looking for some calibration setting anyone have any good ones or is there some that are popular on here for the 2050a please help
post #208 of 281 Old 01-09-2019, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hello, it seems this particular model is no longer available in Europe (at least in France). What replacement would you suggest in the same price range? Thanks
post #209 of 281 Old 01-09-2019, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 148 Post(s)
Quoted: 3718 Post(s)
Liked: 2939
Quote:
Originally Posted by daty2k1 View Post
hello, it seems this particular model is no longer available in Europe (at least in France). What replacement would you suggest in the same price range? Thanks
The HT2050A is called the W1120 in the EU and is being advertised for sale in France.
post #210 of 281 Old 01-10-2019, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Benq 2050a placement

My projector showed up yesterday and I wanted to try it out ASAP. I unpacked the projector and it's substantially larger than my current one. Nice.

I had wanted to set the projector on top of a cabinet behind my couch and shoot it at the wall versus ceiling mounting. To my disappointment, in order for the projector to be high enough to shoot over the back of the couch the projected image is too high on the wall. I played around with the rear feet on the projector to aim it down but even at full extension it won't shoot low enough. I also saw in the menu I could aim the lens itself (I think) down. No dice. At this point I think my only option is ceiling mount to get it right, yes?

This is my second projector and my first one was just an extremely short throw office projector so I'm still learning.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page