Review: Benq HT2050A - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78Likes

post #211 of 281 Old 01-10-2019, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2panther View Post
My projector showed up yesterday and I wanted to try it out ASAP. I unpacked the projector and it's substantially larger than my current one. Nice.

I had wanted to set the projector on top of a cabinet behind my couch and shoot it at the wall versus ceiling mounting. To my disappointment, in order for the projector to be high enough to shoot over the back of the couch the projected image is too high on the wall. I played around with the rear feet on the projector to aim it down but even at full extension it won't shoot low enough. I also saw in the menu I could aim the lens itself (I think) down. No dice. At this point I think my only option is ceiling mount to get it right, yes?

This is my second projector and my first one was just an extremely short throw office projector so I'm still learning.

Well you could always move couch back and put it ahead of couch, but I would definitely say ceiling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 281 Old 01-10-2019, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Quoted: 3729 Post(s)
Liked: 2954
@2panther , projectors without extensive vertical lens shift like the HT2050A are designed to be upright (sitting on its feet) when mounted low near even with the bottom of the screen or inverted (feet up) when mounted high near even with the top of the screen. Be sure to check the user manual as it has a chart that shows exactly where the projector needs to be mounted in relation to the top of the screen. If you don't mount at the correct height you will need to angle the projector and use digital keystone correction which degrades the image.

Last edited by Dave in Green; 01-10-2019 at 08:17 AM.
post #213 of 281 Old 01-10-2019, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
@2panther , projectors without extensive vertical lens shift like the HT2050A are designed to be upright (sitting on its feet) when mounted low near even with the bottom of the screen or inverted (feet up) when mounted high near even with the top of the screen. Be sure to check the user manual as it has a chart that shows exactly where the projector needs to be mounted in relation to the top of the screen. If you don't mount at the correct height you will need to angle the projector and use digital keystone correction which degrades the image.
I think this makes sense. I considered putting it on a coffee table which would be much lower than the cabinet in the photo but I'm sure my kids will bump it and move it regularly so ceiling mount feels like the right choice. I will grab some exact measurements tonight of how far back the couch is and how far back the projector is. I really don't want to make a mistake on mounting it.

Is there a rule of thumb for where the middle of the projected screen should be? For example should I be looking straight from my seating position at the center of the projected image or looking up like at a normal movie theater?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 281 Old 01-10-2019, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Quoted: 3729 Post(s)
Liked: 2954
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2panther View Post
… Is there a rule of thumb for where the middle of the projected screen should be? For example should I be looking straight from my seating position at the center of the projected image or looking up like at a normal movie theater?
A general rule of thumb is to have eyes level with a point from a third to half of screen height up from the bottom. But it can vary considerably depending on personal preference and seating position. For example those who view from recliners generally tend to prefer having the screen a little higher up than those sitting upright. If there's any way you can experiment with different image heights on a plain wall to find your sweet spot before locking in screen position that would be best.
post #215 of 281 Old 01-25-2019, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I'am a new HT2050a owner. It's my first projector, and coming from a 10 years old 45'' LCD I'm pretty much blown away. I have a few questions though:

- firmware: firmware version is 1.00. Is it the latest? If not, should I bother upgrading it? If yes, how do I do it ? I haven't found any information on the BenQ website.

- settings: right now I have only enabled fast mode and set the bulb to smart eco. Are there any "quick win" in the setting? I'm pretty happy with the image right now, but as I have no prior experience, maybe I'm missing some obvious tuning.

The projector is ceiling mounted, approx 11' from a 120'' Silver ticket white screen in a light controlled basement.

Thanks in advance.
post #216 of 281 Old 01-25-2019, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 2726 Post(s)
Liked: 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsieur_paul View Post
Hello all,

I'am a new HT2050a owner. It's my first projector, and coming from a 10 years old 45'' LCD I'm pretty much blown away. I have a few questions though:

- firmware: firmware version is 1.00. Is it the latest? If not, should I bother upgrading it? If yes, how do I do it ? I haven't found any information on the BenQ website.

- settings: right now I have only enabled fast mode and set the bulb to smart eco. Are there any "quick win" in the setting? I'm pretty happy with the image right now, but as I have no prior experience, maybe I'm missing some obvious tuning.

The projector is ceiling mounted, approx 11' from a 120'' Silver ticket white screen in a light controlled basement.

Thanks in advance.

The HT2050A is an updated, ‘perfected’ version of the HT2050. As far as I know it launched with 1.0.0 and has had no need for any updates as they worked that all out on the HT2050.

Smart eco is good as it improves contrast and conserves bulb life— win win. Fast mode is OK to leave on all the time as I’ve not noticed any ill effects from it’s use.

The HT2050a comes out-of-the-box damn near perfect. I did adjust brightness/contrast a few clicks. Download the free avs709 test disc here on the forum and you can run through the patterns yourself.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #217 of 281 Old 01-25-2019, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
The HT2050A is an updated, ‘perfected’ version of the HT2050. As far as I know it launched with 1.0.0 and has had no need for any updates as they worked that all out on the HT2050.

Smart eco is good as it improves contrast and conserves bulb life— win win. Fast mode is OK to leave on all the time as I’ve not noticed any ill effects from it’s use.

The HT2050a comes out-of-the-box damn near perfect. I did adjust brightness/contrast a few clicks. Download the free avs709 test disc here on the forum and you can run through the patterns yourself.
Thanks! Will do.
post #218 of 281 Old 03-01-2019, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 215
@sage11x

Regarding the 24p question in the HT3550 Thread earlier, I watched Incredibles 2 Bluray tonight and then turned off 24p and watched several scenes. I think there was one scene (background) that didn't seem as smooth, but that could have been my eyes playing tricks on me. Other than that, I didn't notice a difference.

I do have a question. I do not have my PJ set for "Quick Cool". I assume that means it cools normally. I think the manual said normal is 90 seconds to cool down, and Quick Cool is 15 seconds. Sounds about right as after I turn off my PJ, it's a minute or two before it beeps. But, during the time I turn it off and the beep, I hear NOTHING. Is this normal? On my old Panasonic, which was no where near as bright, as soon as I turned off the PJ, it sounded like a jet plane, as the fan was so loud cooling off the lamp. I'm now concerned my Cooling is not working correctly since i hear nothing.
post #219 of 281 Old 03-02-2019, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
@sage11x

Regarding the 24p question in the HT3550 Thread earlier, I watched Incredibles 2 Bluray tonight and then turned off 24p and watched several scenes. I think there was one scene (background) that didn't seem as smooth, but that could have been my eyes playing tricks on me. Other than that, I didn't notice a difference.

I do have a question. I do not have my PJ set for "Quick Cool". I assume that means it cools normally. I think the manual said normal is 90 seconds to cool down, and Quick Cool is 15 seconds. Sounds about right as after I turn off my PJ, it's a minute or two before it beeps. But, during the time I turn it off and the beep, I hear NOTHING. Is this normal? On my old Panasonic, which was no where near as bright, as soon as I turned off the PJ, it sounded like a jet plane, as the fan was so loud cooling off the lamp. I'm now concerned my Cooling is not working correctly since i hear nothing.
I wouldn't be concerned as that behavior is the same as both the HT2050 and HT2050A that I've had through my theater. Although I have to say I rarely use Quick Cool. My impression is that is for stow and go if you are using the projector on the road. If it's mounted or has a permanent spot in your theater it's not really necessary.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #220 of 281 Old 03-02-2019, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I wouldn't be concerned as that behavior is the same as both the HT2050 and HT2050A that I've had through my theater. Although I have to say I rarely use Quick Cool. My impression is that is for stow and go if you are using the projector on the road. If it's mounted or has a permanent spot in your theater it's not really necessary.
Thanks. Yeah, I'd never have a need for Quick Cool. Just concerned me as I hear no sound when I turn it off and my old Panny turned the fan on Jet Engine high. If it's normal to hear nothing on shut down, then all is good
post #221 of 281 Old 03-02-2019, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Review: Benq HT2050A

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
Thanks. Yeah, I'd never have a need for Quick Cool. Just concerned me as I hear no sound when I turn it off and my old Panny turned the fan on Jet Engine high. If it's normal to hear nothing on shut down, then all is good

Depends on how hot the projector gets. The HT2050A has a big case (for a single chip 1080p DLP) with plenty of airflow so it stays pretty cool.

post #222 of 281 Old 03-03-2019, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Is there a replacement for the ht2050a on the horizon? About to buy it but want to make sure that it's not about to be discontinued and lowered in price
post #223 of 281 Old 03-03-2019, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 2107 Post(s)
Liked: 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipse View Post
Is there a replacement for the ht2050a on the horizon? About to buy it but want to make sure that it's not about to be discontinued and lowered in price
All the new efforts are being put on 4k projectors. If you are looking for 1080p and DLP this is a great price for a solid performing projector.
sage11x likes this.

Bud
post #224 of 281 Old 03-03-2019, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Nothing on the horizon.

As bud points out, the focus is squarely on 4K at the moment. I don’t expect too much new on the 1080p front. Plus, I can’t think of much they could add to the Ht2050A that would make it better— without significantly increasing it’s price, that is.

I’m glad this projector still exists as RGBRGB 1080p DLPs are thin on the ground and this one uses the venerable .65” DMD. Slowly but surely, that .65” DMD is being phased out and replaced with a smaller, less expensive .47” DMD. While the .47” still produces a fantastic picture, it doesn’t have quite the performance of it’s larger sibling. There are only a handful of projectors that still use this chip and the Ht2050A is one of them.

post #225 of 281 Old 03-03-2019, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Ya I hear ya on the 4k front but with the price difference in the ht3550 and 2050a, I'll rock the ht2050a and who knows what will be out. It will be a jump cause I'm on a HC1500 that's 720p and still looks decent.

Lack of 4k content in Canada makes me shy away at this point from 4k. I know it's coming.
sage11x likes this.
post #226 of 281 Old 03-03-2019, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ya I hear ya on the 4k front but with the price difference in the ht3550 and 2050a, I'll rock the ht2050a and who knows what will be out. It will be a jump cause I'm on a HC1500 that's 720p and still looks decent.

Lack of 4k content in Canada makes me shy away at this point from 4k. I know it's coming.
I personally don’t think 1080p media is going away anytime soon. Around here they are still selling DVDs like there is no tomorrow. Vending machines like Red Box still put more DVDs in them than BD and the rental cost is only $1 DVD and $2 BD. Streaming is great at 1080 IMO and I watch my 1080 fairly immersive.

If you are going from an older 720p projector to this you will see a little bit better resolution but what you will notice most I think is the dark chip 3 black levels and contrast improvements.

For the price and then being able to wait 3 years or more to see what comes out next it’s a easy decision.

Bud
post #227 of 281 Old 03-03-2019, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
I personally don’t think 1080p media is going away anytime soon. Around here they are still selling DVDs like there is no tomorrow. Vending machines like Red Box still put more DVDs in them than BD and the rental cost is only $1 DVD and $2 BD. Streaming is great at 1080 IMO and I watch my 1080 fairly immersive.

If you are going from an older 720p projector to this you will see a little bit better resolution but what you will notice most I think is the dark chip 3 black levels and contrast improvements.

For the price and then being able to wait 3 years or more to see what comes out next it’s a easy decision.
I had a thought last night that has started to steer me away from the HT3550 right now. Basically over what you said about content. I don't have the ability for bandwidth to take advantage of 4K Streaming, nor does RedBox have 4K movies to rent in my area, at least not yet. Meaning, if I purchased a 4K projector, the only movies I could watch are those I purchase. There are many movies I want to see, but have no desire in owning. So I'm thinking that this isn't a good decision for me as most of my viewing will still be standard blu ray and from what I'm reading, Appears the HT2050a will be a better option for Contrast and Blacks and 24p motion handling than the HT3550 for standard blu ray. I think I'll hold off and see how the market trends to see if Redbox starts offering more 4Ks around the country. Even once they do here, it will be very limited in titles and volumes...not to mention locations. I have 2 Redbox's about 10 minutes from me. They will be the last to get 4K as it's rural. Those that will get them first will be 25-30 minutes from me.
bud16415 likes this.
post #228 of 281 Old 03-03-2019, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

Might be better than to go for like a hd27e and save even a few more bucks and make it easier to be a placeholder...
post #229 of 281 Old 03-03-2019, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The HT2050A is a phenomenal projector. It’s one of those rare displays that, considering it’s price, does absolutely everything well.

post #230 of 281 Old 03-03-2019, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
Nothing on the horizon.

As bud points out, the focus is squarely on 4K at the moment. I don’t expect too much new on the 1080p front. Plus, I can’t think of much they could add to the Ht2050A that would make it better— without significantly increasing it’s price, that is.

I’m glad this projector still exists as RGBRGB 1080p DLPs are thin on the ground and this one uses the venerable .65” DMD. Slowly but surely, that .65” DMD is being phased out and replaced with a smaller, less expensive .47” DMD. While the .47” still produces a fantastic picture, it doesn’t have quite the performance of it’s larger sibling. There are only a handful of projectors that still use this chip and the Ht2050A is one of them.
It's a shame TI never developed a 4x pixel shifter using this higher-contrast-no-grey-border .65 Darkchip 3. You would think the XPR pixel shifting mechanism would be independent of the chip used and any 1920x1080 DMD would have worked. I guess the .65 chip in the HT2050A cannot flip mirrors fast enough to do 60fps, ie 240hz, whereas the shear smaller size of each micro-mirror on the .47 chip allows them to flip faster. Or maybe the XPR mechanism would have needed too much added physical distance in the light path to focus on a larger chip, requiring a larger case size like the Optoma UHD65 or upcoming Benq 5700.
sage11x likes this.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
post #231 of 281 Old 03-03-2019, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Review: Benq HT2050A

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
It's a shame TI never developed a 4x pixel shifter using this higher-contrast-no-grey-border .65 Darkchip 3. You would think the XPR pixel shifting mechanism would be independent of the chip used and any 1920x1080 DMD would have worked. I guess the .65 chip in the HT2050A cannot flip mirrors fast enough to do 60fps, ie 240hz, whereas the shear smaller size of each micro-mirror on the .47 chip allows them to flip faster. Or maybe the XPR mechanism would have needed too much added physical distance in the light path to focus on a larger chip, requiring a larger case size like the Optoma UHD65 or upcoming Benq 5700.

Well they sort of did with the .66 DMD. The issue is I think the UHD60/65 will be the last ‘affordable’ projectors to use that chip as everything I’ve seen going forward uses the .47 except for the truly high end stuff.

The revised .47 DMD has finally shed the light border (there is no significant light border on the HT3550). And I think manufacturers are starting to learn how to get more out of it. The HT3550 has significantly improved contrast and blacks over the first gen models. No doubt part of that is down to the iris but early reports seem to indicate that the soon-to-be-released HT5550/W5700, which uses the .47 and not the .66, may actually outperform the UHD65 in terms of contrast/blacks. Only time will tell.

post #232 of 281 Old 03-03-2019, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Might be better than to go for like a hd27e and save even a few more bucks and make it easier to be a placeholder...

The Optoma HD27E has a RGBCYW color wheel where the BenQ has an RGBRGB wheel. That in itself would make me take the BenQ over the Optoma given only a couple hundred difference in price. The good color lumen output with the RGBCYW wheel would be around 600-700 lumens max.

The HT3550 is similar to the HT2050A in terms of color brightness and color wheel when in the 1080p mode I’m told, but when it is switched to 4k HDR mode an additional color filter is engaged and that cuts lumen output a noticeable amount. For that reason plus cost if you are going to really limit yourself to lower 1080 resolution material maybe the savings would be worth it.

Bud
post #233 of 281 Old 03-03-2019, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The Optoma HD27E has a RGBCYW color wheel where the BenQ has an RGBRGB wheel. That in itself would make me take the BenQ over the Optoma given only a couple hundred difference in price. The good color lumen output with the RGBCYW wheel would be around 600-700 lumens max.

The HT3550 is similar to the HT2050A in terms of color brightness and color wheel when in the 1080p mode I’m told, but when it is switched to 4k HDR mode an additional color filter is engaged and that cuts lumen output a noticeable amount. For that reason plus cost if you are going to really limit yourself to lower 1080 resolution material maybe the savings would be worth it.
Sorry, bud, that's not actually an accurate statement.

The HT3550 is plenty bright in 4k/HDR. What lowers the HT3550's lumen output is engaging the wide color filter that allows for accurate DCI-P3 color. Unfortunately, lamp based projectors need such a filter to achieve wide color capability-- it's the same story on the recently released Epson 4010. But this filter is an OPTION. You don't need to run it. So if you are watching in a less than ideal room you can simply leave the wide color feature off and let BenQ's excellent HDR PRO tone mapping go to work.

post #234 of 281 Old 03-03-2019, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry, bud, that's not actually an accurate statement.

The HT3550 is plenty bright in 4k/HDR. What lowers the HT3550's lumen output is engaging the wide color filter that allows for accurate DCI-P3 color. Unfortunately, lamp based projectors need such a filter to achieve wide color capability-- it's the same story on the recently released Epson 4010. But this filter is an OPTION. You don't need to run it. So if you are watching in a less than ideal room you can simply leave the wide color feature off and let BenQ's excellent HDR PRO tone mapping go to work.
Sorry if I misunderstood. I assumed HDR High Dynamic Range is the area beyond Rec.709 or DCI-P3. I assumed 4k would be in play regardless if the filter was in place or not.

If I were to play a 4k HDR movie with the color filter disengaged what color gamut would I be viewing?

Bud
post #235 of 281 Old 03-04-2019, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
Well they sort of did with the .66 DMD. The issue is I think the UHD60/65 will be the last ‘affordable’ projectors to use that chip as everything I’ve seen going forward uses the .47 except for the truly high end stuff.

The revised .47 DMD has finally shed the light border (there is no significant light border on the HT3550). And I think manufacturers are starting to learn how to get more out of it. The HT3550 has significantly improved contrast and blacks over the first gen models. No doubt part of that is down to the iris but early reports seem to indicate that the soon-to-be-released HT5550/W5700, which uses the .47 and not the .66, may actually outperform the UHD65 in terms of contrast/blacks. Only time will tell.
The .66 chip in the UHD65 is not a 1920x1080 chip, though. It has micro mirrors roughly the same size as the .47 chip -- smaller than a .66 1920x1080 chip used in the HT2050A. The fill factor of the Dark chip 3 1920x1080 DMD must be higher than the chips with the smaller mirrors and should contribute to better contrast.
sage11x likes this.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
post #236 of 281 Old 03-04-2019, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry if I misunderstood. I assumed HDR High Dynamic Range is the area beyond Rec.709 or DCI-P3. I assumed 4k would be in play regardless if the filter was in place or not.

If I were to play a 4k HDR movie with the color filter disengaged what color gamut would I be viewing?

This is way off topic for this thread so I’ll post and then if you want to discuss further you can PM me or @ me in my review thread for the HT3550.

To answer your question: you will display 4K/HDR in Rec. 709.

HDR is a term that encompasses a lot. The two most common attributes that people typically associate with HDR are increased dynamic range— the bright highlights that everyone is so concerned about and why everyone talks about a displays nit capability— as well as expanded color gamut. But it’s also about increased color volume and color brightness as well as fiber gradients of color (10bit). If you want to get educated, I’ll link a couple of articles that do a good job of explaining the benefits and challenges of HDR.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/technica...dynamic-range/

https://referencehometheater.com/201...tanding-means/
bud16415 likes this.

post #237 of 281 Old 03-04-2019, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
The .66 chip in the UHD65 is not a 1920x1080 chip, though. It has micro mirrors roughly the same size as the .47 chip -- smaller than a .66 1920x1080 chip used in the HT2050A. The fill factor of the Dark chip 3 1920x1080 DMD must be higher than the chips with the smaller mirrors and should contribute to better contrast.

True. Although I’m not sure that the actual pixel shift doesn’t have something to do with it. There has to be a reason that TI didn’t simply retro fit the .65 for XPR duty. Perhaps, as you suggested, it wasn’t capable of running at the required 240Hz to enable the quad shift? I often wondered why we never got a 1080p x2 solution like what Epson is using now. Surely the .65 could have facilitated that as that would only require 120Hz. Idk, I’m sure there’s a good reason.

In either case, the HT3550 has proven to me that .47” 4K DLPs need not be hampered by poor contrast/blacks. While it’s not going to win over any LCOS fans it is no longer an obstacle to upgrading from a 1080p DLP or 3LCD.

post #238 of 281 Old 03-04-2019, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is way off topic for this thread so I’ll post and then if you want to discuss further you can PM me or @ me in my review thread for the HT3550.

To answer your question: you will display 4K/HDR in Rec. 709.

HDR is a term that encompasses a lot. The two most common attributes that people typically associate with HDR are increased dynamic range— the bright highlights that everyone is so concerned about and why everyone talks about a displays nit capability— as well as expanded color gamut. But it’s also about increased color volume and color brightness as well as fiber gradients of color (10bit). If you want to get educated, I’ll link a couple of articles that do a good job of explaining the benefits and challenges of HDR.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/technica...dynamic-range/

https://referencehometheater.com/201...tanding-means/
In my reply above I quoted @Clipse and responded to his concerns about the Optoma HD27E as maybe a better placeholder than the BenQ HT2050A and he was posting with regards to @tonybradley who was sold on the BenQ HT3550 This was in posts 227 & 228. Tony’s concerns were really where I was directing the comments about the HT3550 loss in brightness when displaying true 4k HDR in all its glory.

So the discussion was started here as he was looking for pros and cons between the HT2050A and the HT3550, seeing as how he is going to be very limited as to how much true 4k HDR he will even be viewing for a relatively long period of time. He streams 1080 he watches BD he now owns and like me he rents BD where we both wonder how long it will be before UHD BD will if ever be in the rental machines. He is hearing correctly I think that the larger DMD dark chip 3 in the HT2050A has some contrast and black level benefits over the HT3550 that the active iris may help improve some.

I was trying to just point out that my understanding was with the HT3550 there was also a brightness hit when doing full on 4k HDR with the DCI-P3 color space, and his screen size may factor in to the equation. If he is going to play 4k HDR media and needs the extra brightness forcing the filter setting that switches to Rec.709 color space it may move the needle a bit more in his comparison.

I guess his real question and maybe he should start a new thread just on this topic is what visual advantages will be seen playing 1080p or lesser media on the BenQ HT3550 compared to the HT2050A. I haven’t seen the HT3550 well none of have for that matter. I assume having the 1080p up-scaled to 4k is an improvement. Will the BenQ’s excellent PRO tone mapping come into play when viewing BD Rec.709 content or will the color, contrast, tone mapping etc be the same/better/worst, between the two projectors?

I’m in about the same boat as Tony. My physical media purchases over the last year have really slowed down. I maybe bought 6 BD’s over the last year. They really have to be something I want to watch fairly often. The last BD I bought I saw came as a combo pack BD/UHD BD and the cost wasn’t much different. I thought here is a way to future proof my collection without diving in to trying to replace it all again. So I own just one piece of UHD media my guess is a year from now I might have 3-4 more. So whatever I do stick with my 1080p dark chip 3 or upgrade to 4k 99% of my viewing will be 1080p or less.

Thanks for the links. They like most I have read deal with flat panel displays where they hit 1000-5000 nits and such. I do understand that the classic gamut charts we see are 2D and real color space is a harder to visualize 3D space where the third direction is luminance. A lot of the expanded gamut is in color luminance and that is getting a bit off topic for this thread or for projectors in general for that matter.

Bud
post #239 of 281 Old 03-04-2019, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In my reply above I quoted @Clipse and responded to his concerns about the Optoma HD27E as maybe a better placeholder than the BenQ HT2050A and he was posting with regards to @tonybradley who was sold on the BenQ HT3550 This was in posts 227 & 228. Tony’s concerns were really where I was directing the comments about the HT3550 loss in brightness when displaying true 4k HDR in all its glory.

So the discussion was started here as he was looking for pros and cons between the HT2050A and the HT3550, seeing as how he is going to be very limited as to how much true 4k HDR he will even be viewing for a relatively long period of time. He streams 1080 he watches BD he now owns and like me he rents BD where we both wonder how long it will be before UHD BD will if ever be in the rental machines. He is hearing correctly I think that the larger DMD dark chip 3 in the HT2050A has some contrast and black level benefits over the HT3550 that the active iris may help improve some.

I was trying to just point out that my understanding was with the HT3550 there was also a brightness hit when doing full on 4k HDR with the DCI-P3 color space, and his screen size may factor in to the equation. If he is going to play 4k HDR media and needs the extra brightness forcing the filter setting that switches to Rec.709 color space it may move the needle a bit more in his comparison.

I guess his real question and maybe he should start a new thread just on this topic is what visual advantages will be seen playing 1080p or lesser media on the BenQ HT3550 compared to the HT2050A. I haven’t seen the HT3550 well none of have for that matter. I assume having the 1080p up-scaled to 4k is an improvement. Will the BenQ’s excellent PRO tone mapping come into play when viewing BD Rec.709 content or will the color, contrast, tone mapping etc be the same/better/worst, between the two projectors?

I’m in about the same boat as Tony. My physical media purchases over the last year have really slowed down. I maybe bought 6 BD’s over the last year. They really have to be something I want to watch fairly often. The last BD I bought I saw came as a combo pack BD/UHD BD and the cost wasn’t much different. I thought here is a way to future proof my collection without diving in to trying to replace it all again. So I own just one piece of UHD media my guess is a year from now I might have 3-4 more. So whatever I do stick with my 1080p dark chip 3 or upgrade to 4k 99% of my viewing will be 1080p or less.

Thanks for the links. They like most I have read deal with flat panel displays where they hit 1000-5000 nits and such. I do understand that the classic gamut charts we see are 2D and real color space is a harder to visualize 3D space where the third direction is luminance. A lot of the expanded gamut is in color luminance and that is getting a bit off topic for this thread or for projectors in general for that matter.
Thanks Bud. Yeah, I got ahead of myself on the HT3550 due to 4K/HDR with the same throw as my HT2050a. I've been caught up in all the talk, reviews, etc. that I didn't take time to breath and analyze my application. I talked to my wife last night and told her it doesn't make sense for me now as I can't rent physical 4K nor Stream 4K with my current cable internet....and I'm not willing to purchase tons of 4Ks just to watch a movie in 4K. Don't get me wrong, I purchase movies I really like, and since last last year, those have been 4K, but those have become few and far between.

My family watched Incredibles 2 this weekend on the HT2050a. It looked great. I then put on my glasses and it looked amazing. What I don't see, I won't miss for now. I'm going to stick with my HT2050a and use the money I was looking to upgrade the projector to get some better speakers. I know it's off topic, but I bought some Elemental Design speakers many years ago based on some great reviews on AVS. Since then, that company went out of business and it's known that they have a very poor mid range crossover. I've been told you can get much better speakers for the same price now. I've not been happy with the Audio in my room since I got them. I'm now in the Search for good Budget LCR speakers that aren't Harsh and that the Center sounds great even if not at ear level. Mine is Low to the ground and I aim it upwards. I was told to check out Elac, but reviews I read said they the center has to be positioned at ear level, and if not, the sound is drastically effected.

I'm all about Best Bang for the Buck.
post #240 of 281 Old 03-04-2019, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Basically my thinking process is if we go with current and expected prices in Canada there will be a 1100$ price difference. I could buy 2 ht2050a for the price of one ht3550 which seems to be the game changer at 4k.

I'm going the ht2050a route. For what I do it's more than enough.
bud16415 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page