78Likes

post #1 of 279 Old 02-06-2018, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Review: Benq HT2050A

The $749 (msrp) HT2050A is Benq's latest offering in the 1080P entry-level projector world. Actually, it is a step above entry-level in that it includes glass lenses, vertical lens shift, anamorphic stretch, quiet operation, and high color brightness with a fast RGBRGB color wheel. It also fits in smaller rooms than most other projectors due to its relatively short minimum throw of 1.15 and zoom lens of 1.3. That means a 100" image from as little as 8'4" or as far as 10'11".

First impression of the HT2050A tells you this is no road warrior's business projector trying to do double-duty for home use. It is three inches wider than my W1070, as well as an inch taller and and inch deeper. All that extra space has a beneficial effect on operating noise and heat output. Sitting just 12" away from the exhaust vents during testing, I was never bothered by either noise or heat when I had just the HT2050A running. During my side-by-side comparisons with both the W1070 and HT2050A running the heat became an issue.

Some nice physical features include all three feet being adjustable when table-mounting, and the vertical lens shift has a knob rather than requiring a screwdriver. There is also a dust shield covering the lens zoom lever and knurled focus ring. As light otherwise escapes this opening, you have incentive to keep it closed.

My second impression was a mixed bag -- the remote.
Although the new remote is generally an improvement, it trades some functions I prized on the W1070 for some new functions that seem less useful. Specifically, the "Test", "Freeze", and "Aspect" buttons have disappeared and "Gamma", "Keystone" and "Mode" were added. Having direct remote access to bring up the test grid to verify alignment and focus was useful, and having to navigate the menu to get the test grid less so. Being able to freeze the image on screen regardless of source was also useful, especially since some sources like Roku dim the image and clutter it with status displays while paused -- the W1070 Freeze gave a clean clutter free image. Not only is this no longer a function from the remote, but I did not find it anywhere in menu system either. Sigh. Being able to change the aspect ratio from the remote is handy for users of anamorphic lenses, and this now requires menu navigation. The new button to change Gamma settings is surprisingly useful -- brightening up a dark scene to see what is hiding in the shadows is great. The Keystone button makes those adjustments consistent with adjusting brightness or contrast -- choose what to modify, then adjust. The Mode button changes the projector display mode -- from User 1 to Cinema, Game, Vivid TV, etc.

The new remote, however, is less cluttered which is better for most everyday functions. Its backlit buttons stay lit for 30 seconds instead of the 15 seconds of yore. The circular wobble pad for adjustments is easier to use than the individual tiny buttons of the W1070 remote. Having separate buttons for volume control means fewer mistakes there. There is also a pair of button bars to control the "Play", "Fast Forward" etc. functions of an HDMI-CEC connected device.

Initial setup had the picture mode set to "Vivid TV" which looks surprisingly good -- not over saturated, not particularly green, and just a bit under saturated in red. Too bright with gamma set to 2.1, but fine out of the box for a bright room. Switching picture mode to "Cinema" cut brightness by at least a third and raised gamma to 2.2, blue and green appeared more muted than the Vivid mode. The "Bright" mode is the only one to use "native lamp" for Color Temperature as well as gamma down at 1.8, and is the only mode with a really objectionable green cast to it, as well as red being more wine than fire engine. "Game" mode is, surprisingly, almost identical to "Vivid TV" rather than "Bright" mode.

These out of the box impressions were based on about an hour of switching between Netflix (via Roku), DirecTV, and BluRay. Rewinding, pausing, and replaying the same clips in each picture mode.

Basic adjustments time:
Starting from Cinema mode, with gamma 2.2 and "Normal" lamp color temperature with Brilliant Color "On", I used the bluray disc of WOW from Disney for test patterns. I bumped Brightness to 51 and Contrast to 55. The HT2050A had no trouble at all adjusting to show only those patterns above and below ideal black and ideal white as it should. Using "Color Temperature Fine Tuning" I adjusted the R/G/B "Gains" to 114/95/120 as the most natural looking and left "Offsets" at 256. Under the "Color Management" menu, I left the settings as Cinema defaulted -- which was at their midpoints (200) except for Red Hue at 184 and Magenta Hue at 268. A range of 400 on these controls for Hue, Saturation and Gain under this menu is tough to use by eye -- large changes have barely discernible effect. I left Benq's settings as-is.

Then I watched some movies and TV. For a week. Some of that time was spent running both the HT2050A and my W1070 at the same time with precision instruments (ie, blocks of wood) hiding half the image from each projector so I could see the relative differences that five years has made. To the naked eye, those differences are obvious, although tough for my limited camera/skills to capture.

Flesh tones look good in these DirecTV shots from "Marvel: Agents of Shield", "Fox News", and the bluray of "X-Men:Apocalypse":

Black and white films stayed black and white, without any color tint.

Certainly colors pop as we expect from DLP, looking vibrant alongside natural skin tones in these shots from "X-Men:Apocalypse" and "Lucy" bluray, with colors in "Toy Story" appearing downright cartoonish:

Color accuracy on my W1070 was always a strong suit, but the HT2050A is Benq's first projector in this price class to include their CinematicColor which means the color wheel "high pure color coatings" are chosen and tested to produce 96% of the Rec 709 color gamut as well as producing the proper gray scale and white temperature close to 6500K. Previously, only their CinePro and CinePrime series projectors included this feature.

The bottom line, though, is whether colors look as they did when we saw the film in the theater or, barring that, whether they look natural. The only way to assess this without instruments is to view a variety of material as below.

Now, I have to admit that except for the ease of setting the test patterns without clipping whites or crushing blacks, I had a hard time telling the HT2050A apart from my W1070 in AB comparisons. My eyes adjusted too quickly with even a few minutes break between swapping the two projectors -- they both looked great. Then I started to run them both in a stacked configuration where I could hide half of each image and see the composite image on screen -- it is worth noting that the vertical lens shift makes this possible where it would not be with some competitors in this price class. I purchased a powered HDMI splitter to send the signal to both projectors at the same time.

In the images below, the W1070 is on the left and the HT2050A on the right. Sometimes there is a noticeable darker column running down the middle of the screen due to imprecise placement of the blocks and other times there is a double image instead.

Here is the focus test pattern, mostly for the obvious difference in brightness it shows:

I got light meter readings off this image that I frankly don't believe -- 50% brighter on the HT2050A side of the image than on the W1070 side. As far as sharpness itself goes, the glass lens vs. plastic lens does not show a dramatic improvement. Even expanding this shot to full size does not show an obvious advantage in reading the text or patterns above.

This image below is terribly out of focus but does show the improved blacks on the HT2050A. Look at the difference in the "black bar" areas above and below this opening sequence of the bluray "Passengers", and keep in mind the brightness difference in the test pattern above where the left-hand side should be dimmer overall than the right:

and here I've changed the W1070 "Projector Position" menu setting to "Rear" on the left hand side of the screen to show the mirror image of the right hand side shown by the HT2050A: Notice how much blacker space is between the stars. You can actually pick out individual stars on the right side that are missing on the left. Except where the dummy taking the picture is casting a shadow.

The white room scene in the bluray of "Lucy". The W1070 on the left looks almost a dingy white compared to the HT2050A on the right.

I was not really happy with my attempts to capture the difference in lens quality between the two projectors. There is one. And it is subtle. But I think these two images of Scarlet in "Lucy" show more detail in the skin pores and in the eye on the right-hand HT2050A side. The iris, lashes, and eyebrows are all more distinct on the HT2050A side.

While I have not used the internal speakers much in any projector I've owned, clearly Benq has put some effort into this. They call it "CinemaMaster Audio+2" and tout the clarity and "sensual sound quality" -- marketing department working overtime, I guess. What I can tell you is that the volume is sufficient to be heard without distortion from 20 feet away. There are several sound modes including Cinema, Game, Sports, Standard, Music, and User. That seems like a lot to ask of a single speaker, even if it does use magnesium and rubidium exotic materials. There are minor differences between preset modes and they cannot be changed. Only User mode allows access to the"EQ" menu where ten steps of boost or damping is available at five levels (100hz,300,1k,3k,10k). And it actually works, although nobody should expect much bass out of a small speaker driver.

Connectivity on the HT2050A includes two HDMI inputs, a powered USB port to provide power to a streaming stick like Roku or Chromecast, or in my case an HDMI splitter. There is also a PC (D-Sub) connection, component video inputs, composite video input, audio input, and an RS232 port for firmware updates. There is also an audio output and a 12V trigger to control a retractable screen.

Conclusion:
It has been a bit over five years now since Benq set a new bar for entry level projector enthusiasts with its $999(msrp) W1070. Features included a fast RGBRGB color wheel which eliminated the dreaded "rainbow effect" for all but the most sensitive viewer, the color accuracy and ISF color controls, the brightness, the excellent motion handling, and some features arguably aimed squarely at HT use like vertical lens shift and digital vertical stretch for use with an anamorphic lens. Other features were arguably aimed at more casual users, like the built-in speaker scoffed at by more serious HT users. All in all, the W1070 was a compact package that seemed to hit a happy medium for use in modest dedicated movie rooms as well as living room TV and Sports use with the occasional lawn party thrown in.

Yes, yes, but ... the question is always "What have you done for me lately ?"

This brings me to the HT2050A. What we expect in the world of consumer electronics is for new models to bring us (a) better performance than our last purchase for the same money, or preferably (b) better performance for even less money. I am happy to report that the HT2050A is solidly in the (b) category. The kicker is that the warranty is THREE YEARS compared to the ONE YEAR warranty the W1070 came with.

Some may quibble that my still capable W1070 is hardly the "direct" predecessor to the HT2050A, but I would argue that most people are like me and do not replace their equipment every year or two. A cycle of five years seems like a more common interval for the upgrade itch to strike.

The HT2050A has managed to improve serious HT use in several ways:
1) Black levels are notably better than the W1070, making dark room use more satisfying
2) Brightness is improved, allowing for larger screens
3) The case size is larger with more open airflow, making it a bit quieter
4) Glass lens improves crispness compared to the plastic lens of the W1070
5) Field uniformity is much better than my W1070, whether due to the glass lens or some other factor

There is something for everyone, though, in that non-dedicated HT rooms get these improvements:
1) Lower input lag for games, including a "Fast" mode that brings lag down to 16.67ms
2) Horizontal as well as vertical keystone correction and all three feet adjustable make temporary setups easier
3) Much better internal speaker with several sound processing modes and "EQ"

Based on my head to head comparison, those looking for an upgrade to their W1070 will be quite happy with the HT2050A. It still offers the only vertical lens shift at this price point of DLP projectors, and now it offers horizontal as well as vertical keystone correction. It has a shorter than average 1.15 throw distance for smaller rooms, and a 1.3 zoom lens making it a direct replacement for a W1070 at the same mounting place. When every aspect of image quality is as good or better, price is lower, and the warranty is tripled ... it is pretty easy to conclude that the HT2050A value proposition is even better than it was five years ago when the W1070 was released.

Correction 4/21/2018: While the "Letterbox" Display Aspect Ratio does a vertical-only stretch of the image, it is not appropriate for use with anamorphic lenses and scope 2.35 screens. Although some anamorphic lenses allow a variable horizontal expansion ratio, most do not -- it is a fixed 1.33 ratio. The "Letterbox" Aspect Ratio only performs a 1.28 vertical stretch, which is not enough to eliminate horizontal black bars on scope films viewed on a scope screen with the most common anamorphic lenses. An e-mail to Benq about this issue received no reply after ten days. Ideally, Benq would correct the vertical stretch to 1.33x in a simple firmware update to make the HT2050A fully anamorphic ready.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds

Last edited by dreamer; 04-21-2018 at 11:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 279 Old 02-06-2018, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Terrific review, thanks.

I have a refurb 2050 coming tomorrow directly from BenQ while I wait to see if they address the 3D synch issue w/2550 or until Optoma outs its UHD51A. In any case, I'm wondering if there's any PQ difference between 2050 and 2050A? Latter seems like a refresh? Only real difference seems to be lower lag for gaming.

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus
post #3 of 279 Old 02-06-2018, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post
Terrific review, thanks.

I have a refurb 2050 coming tomorrow directly from BenQ while I wait to see if they address the 3D synch issue w/2550 or until Optoma outs its UHD51A. In any case, I'm wondering if there's any PQ difference between 2050 and 2050A? Latter seems like a refresh? Only real difference seems to be lower lag for gaming.
I haven't seen the HT2050, but based on the info I have from Benq, the HT2050A has only half as much input lag as the HT2050. It also adds horizontal keystone correction, which is not particularly needed for dedicated rooms. It also has that 3-yr warranty compared to a 1-yr warranty on the HT2050. I think the CinematicColor spec is new to the HT2050A as well, but not sure about that.

PQ is a definite step up from my W1070 is all I can report in that regard.

Kirk Ellis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 279 Old 02-06-2018, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3578 Post(s)
Liked: 2768
I'm not sure about whether the HT2050A's CinematicColor™ is a new color spec or a new marketing term replacement for the HT2050's Colorific™. The descriptions for both are quite similar and both the HT2050 and HT2050A are rated by BenQ for producing ">96% Rec.709 accuracy." I'd lean toward it being a new marketing term unless someone can come up with some engineering proof to the contrary.

Since most people don't pay much attention to projector lag times for gaming I think the two biggest deals for most will be the increase from a 1-year to a 3-year factory warranty and a $50 drop in msrp.
post #5 of 279 Old 02-06-2018, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Thanks for the side by side with the w1070.

Do you happen to know the absolute contrast measurements of both projectors? I would be nice to know, to put numbers to the images.
post #6 of 279 Old 02-06-2018, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked: 493
How many hours are on the lamp of your 1070. If your 1070 doesn't have an under 500hr lamp your brightness comparisons are not very valid. Although lamp age I think would not effect contrast it would be interesting to do this with a fresh lamp in the 1070. If your 1070 has a fresh lamp forget everything I just said.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #7 of 279 Old 02-06-2018, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Great review even though I had no interest in either of these. It was a fun and interesting read and I am sure you have helped some people in here determine if the 2050 is right for them

Thanks!
post #8 of 279 Old 02-06-2018, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
How many hours are on the lamp of your 1070. If your 1070 doesn't have an under 500hr lamp your brightness comparisons are not very valid. Although lamp age I think would not effect contrast it would be interesting to do this with a fresh lamp in the 1070. If your 1070 has a fresh lamp forget everything I just said.
That is a valid concern. The W1070 lamp was replaced Jan 18th, and it had about 60 hours on it when I started my comparisons on the 26th. Some of my photos were not until the HT2050A had about 60 hrs and the W1070 had run up to about 85 hrs by then due to running them both at the same time for a good chunk of viewing while I played my games with hiding one side or the other on each projector. The focus pattern image was early on so the HT2050A lamp was just a few hours old in that pic.

Kirk Ellis
post #9 of 279 Old 02-06-2018, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAxeVR View Post
Thanks for the side by side with the w1070.

Do you happen to know the absolute contrast measurements of both projectors? I would be nice to know, to put numbers to the images.
No, sorry. I have no instruments other than the crude light meter on my phone. It wouldn't even register the low end when I tried to get readings on the "black bars" area above and below a film. Can't do a contrast measurement without measuring "black". The difference in white field between W1070 and HT2050A was consistently over 50%, which I think just means the sensor on the phone is garbage.

That was the whole reason for doing the split screen to the W1070 with a known benchmark.

Kirk Ellis

Last edited by dreamer; 02-06-2018 at 10:41 PM.
post #10 of 279 Old 02-07-2018, 06:09 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 292
The HT2050A is the new revision that has 16ms input lag right?

The blacks certainly look loads better than the w1070, so I would be surprised if the contrast didn't measure much better as well. The highest BenQ contrast measurement I've seen so far is 2500:1 for the w2000+ over at projection-homecinema.fr but that model is way too noisy apparently. If the original w1070 had like 1600:1 or so then I wouldn't be surprised if the 2050A had something similar to the w2000+, based on that AB comparison photo.

I'd love to see a three-way comparison between those two and a 5040 or even a Sony or a JVC, on the same content.
sage11x and Zoide like this.
post #11 of 279 Old 02-07-2018, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Great review! Thanks for taking the time to present this awesome PJ. I too just bought it last week, but since I'm in Europe it's called W1120 (upgrade from w1110). I also come from the W1070, which I loved, but there's no doubt the 2050A is a nice step up! Noise, color, contrast, black level, input lag, sharpness, everything seems better. I almost got the w2000 (HT3050 in the US I believe), but the input lag didn't seem that great at almost 50ms. This new PJ seemed to tick all the right boxes, and is cheaper. I am very curious as to its color performance compared to the w2000/HT3050's rec709 certification, because the HT2050A/W1120 certainly seems pretty good to me in that regard. I haven't changed much in the settings, projecting at the minimal required distance for my 100" screen (1.1 gain, max zoom). My room is almost completely black, no light source, mostly black/grey walls:

-Cinema mode
-Eco mode exclusively (plenty bright, the PJ is about 8/8.5 ft from the screen)
-brilliant color off (again, the added brightness is too much in my setup)
-gamma 2.3 (better depth, no noticeable loss of detail)
-sharpness 7 (which seems to be the neutral position with most Benq PJ's)
-brightness 50 (more on that later!)
-contrast 49 (not sure about that one...)
I haven't messed around the more precise color settings, as the picture seems really good to me as its is, but I wish I could have some sort of calibration tool other than the usual black/white clipping videos...

Concerning brightness, I see in most Benq reviews that calibration often results in upping brightness above the default 50 value. I, however, found that anything above 50 adds dithering to even the "blackest" value. To test if that's the case with your Benq PJ, you can pop a Blu-Ray with a 2.40 or 2.35 ratio movie, get close to the screen and play with the brightness setting while looking closely at the pixels in the black bars above and below the picture. On both my W1070 and w1120, anything above 50 adds noise where there shouldn't be any.

Next time I'll try to take pictures too!
post #12 of 279 Old 02-07-2018, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 2638 Post(s)
Liked: 2584
Fantastic review Dreamer!
dreamer likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #13 of 279 Old 02-07-2018, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsou View Post
I am very curious as to its color performance compared to the w2000/HT3050's rec709 certification, because the HT2050A/W1120 certainly seems pretty good to me in that regard.
I asked Benq why the "CinematicColor" nomenclature was used on the HT2050A yet it did not come with a factory calibration report the way the HT3050 and HT8050 include which are rated as 100% Rec 709 and also use the same "CinematicColor" term. I was told that the HT2050A uses optimized calibration firmware and QC but that the goal is only to be less than 3% "Delta-E". Delta-E refers to when the human eye can tell two colors apart -- a value <1 can only be told by instruments. So ... no factory calibration, and while the HT2050A might be able to match an HT3050 color accuracy, the factory QC standard for the HT2050A is >96% instead of 100% Rec 709.

The CinematicColor page on the Benq site is interesting in light of the border issue on their 4k projector the HT2550/W1700. Part of the CinematicColor designation mentions that the light from the lamp is focused on the DMD so there is no overflow beyond the DMD to scatter and reduce contrast. It makes you wonder if they couldn't focus on just the 1920x1080 area of the DMD and avoid lighting up the "pond of mirrors" of that 2048x1200 chip that is causing the border issue in the HT2550. The HT2550 also carries the CinematicColor designation, after all.
sage11x likes this.

Kirk Ellis
post #14 of 279 Old 02-07-2018, 12:28 PM

Interesting! So, basically, the only difference between the ht3050 and ht2050A is 100% vs 96% accuracy... This doesn't have much to do with calibration after all, just their ability to be consistent with rhe Delta-E. Anyways I doubt I could spot the difference. There is a thread where the ht2050( the "old" model) is compared to the ht3050 side by side, the differences are subtle at best and non revealing of a quality gap...
post #15 of 279 Old 02-07-2018, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 135
hey thanks for the review. interesting to see the improvements over the W1070. personally, i think i'm set with my W1070 for a while (especailly since recently adding a Darbee). i think the HT2050A would be a serious contender for replacing my W1070 when the times comes...possibly at the end of the next lamp cycle. and depending what the budget is at that time of course.

btw, have you tried a Darbee on either one of these units? i really like mine and they're cheaper than ever. a great way to wring out that last bit of performance.
post #16 of 279 Old 02-07-2018, 02:19 PM

I am actually curious about this darbee. I think the picture is plenty sharp and detailed as is, but many users and reviewers love it.
post #17 of 279 Old 02-07-2018, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 14
awesome review! thank you!
post #18 of 279 Old 02-07-2018, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post
i think the HT2050A would be a serious contender for replacing my W1070 when the times comes...possibly at the end of the next lamp cycle.

btw, have you tried a Darbee on either one of these units? i really like mine and they're cheaper than ever. a great way to wring out that last bit of performance.
That is a good time to make a decision, especially if the replacement lamp would cost $200+.

I have not seen a Darbee in person. I think youtubes of it are impressive, since it can't actually increase resolution. People reported being impressed with the improvement it made to the W1070, but I was leery of spending $200 to find out.

Kirk Ellis
post #19 of 279 Old 02-08-2018, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 136
dreamer

not to change the subject. i googled your towers, and nothing came up.

BenQ HT1070 . Da-Lite HP 2.8 119"
ULTIMAX 18-22, 14cf ported, x2. 6000DSP.
XPA-3, PIONEER VSX-01TXH, SWANS 6.1 & C3
post #20 of 279 Old 02-08-2018, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
That is a good time to make a decision, especially if the replacement lamp would cost $200+.

I have not seen a Darbee in person. I think youtubes of it are impressive, since it can't actually increase resolution. People reported being impressed with the improvement it made to the W1070, but I was leery of spending $200 to find out.
fyi, they are running $125 at a couple major outlets right now. that's how much i paid and i'm definitely keeping mine.
post #21 of 279 Old 02-08-2018, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Actually, it is a step above entry-level in that it includes glass lenses
Thought Benq used the majority of the time glass lenses? My W1070 I thought had glass lenses. I had looked it up on the Benq site at the time (which was a better format than it is now) and the W1070 had the glass lens certification. Though, the glass lenses are probably not as good quality as a much more expensive projector.

Last edited by magnification; 02-08-2018 at 08:36 AM.
post #22 of 279 Old 02-08-2018, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabricator View Post
dreamer

not to change the subject. i googled your towers, and nothing came up.
Ha ! I have had that in my signature for years expecting someone to ask, and you are the first !

They are DIY, designed and named by a friend of mine. I built them over 20 years ago and still going strong.

Kirk Ellis
post #23 of 279 Old 02-08-2018, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Ha ! I have had that in my signature for years expecting someone to ask, and you are the first !

They are DIY, designed and named by a friend of mine. I built them over 20 years ago and still going strong.
Cha-Ching ! do i get a cookie ?

i often search stuff in peoples sigs, just to see what it is.

so, lets see pics.

BenQ HT1070 . Da-Lite HP 2.8 119"
ULTIMAX 18-22, 14cf ported, x2. 6000DSP.
XPA-3, PIONEER VSX-01TXH, SWANS 6.1 & C3
post #24 of 279 Old 02-08-2018, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Can you post the calibrations that you used for both units?
Curious how different the setting numbers are.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #25 of 279 Old 02-08-2018, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnification View Post
Thought Benq used the majority of the time glass lenses? My W1070 I thought had glass lenses. I had looked it up on the Benq site at the time (which was a better format than it is now) and the W1070 had the glass lens certification. Though, the glass lenses are probably not as good quality as a much more expensive projector.
I've never seen anything about BenQ using an all plastic lens system. My assumption has been that the W1070 had a mix of glass and plastic elements in the lens system as it was only with more recent models that BenQ began advertising "All-Glass Cinema Grade Lens." As long as the exterior element of a lens system is glass no one would really know what all the internal elements are made of, so I guess someone would need to take a W1070 lens system apart to see if any internal elements are plastic.
dreamer and sage11x like this.
post #26 of 279 Old 02-08-2018, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
I've never seen anything about BenQ using an all plastic lens system. My assumption has been that the W1070 had a mix of glass and plastic elements in the lens system as it was only with more recent models that BenQ began advertising "All-Glass Cinema Grade Lens." As long as the exterior element of a lens system is glass no one would really know what all the internal elements are made of, so I guess someone would need to take a W1070 lens system apart to see if any internal elements are plastic.
I looked after @magnification asked and could not find where that "plastic lens" info came from. It has been in my head ever since I first researched the W1070 before buying it 4 years ago, but I can't find where I got that info from back then. I did find references to one of the "convex condensing lens elements" in the W1070 being acrylic, but nothing describing all the elements and the material for each.

Edit: found the "plastic lens" reference in a review of the W1070+ which I think had the same lens assembly as the earlier W1070.

https://www.avforums.com/review/benq...r-review.11108 ['So the use of a single chip means there are no alignment issues and, despite the use of a cheap plastic lens, the image is surprisingly sharp and consistent.']

Kirk Ellis

Last edited by dreamer; 02-08-2018 at 11:10 PM.
post #27 of 279 Old 02-09-2018, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@dreamer , great find on that info. I always assumed when BenQ began advertising All-Glass Cinema Grade Lens for the first time with, I'm pretty sure, the HT2050 that it implied the W1070 lens may have been a mix of glass and plastic elements. While plastic, actually as you say acrylic, lenses have a bad connotation compared with glass they aren't necessarily all bad news. My understanding is that glass lenses are more difficult to produce, so if you invest the same money in an easier to make acrylic lens it has the potential to superior optical qualities to a glass lens of the same cost. This is especially important in maintaining image quality in lower cost projectors.

The biggest concern with acrylic lenses is that they might be more susceptible to scratching. But if the acrylic lens elements are internal with a glass external element that concern is eliminated. Sony uses internal acrylic lens elements even on some of its more expensive projectors and Nikon and Canon have long used internal acrylic lens elements in some of their camera lenses. Of course the very best premium lenses are all glass, but exceptionally high quality, expensive to produce glass that's superior to any glass used in lower end cameras and projectors.

Since the public generally believes glass is always superior to plastic you can't blame the marketing people for wanting to tout all glass lens systems as a selling point even if a mixed glass/acrylic lens at the same price point has the potential to have superior optical qualities.
Fabricator likes this.
post #28 of 279 Old 02-25-2018, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
First time projector owner that just received a HT2050A and I'm trying to figure out if it's defective. First off is the light leaking. I understand this is something that happens with sub $1000 DLP's but what I'm experiencing is a 6+ inch strip of light starting on the ceiling around 5 feet before the screen that bends into the picture approximately half way down the screen. This leak is very noticeable in dark scenes and noticeable in many scenes that are not filmed outside. Example, when Vision is attempting to cook with paprika in Captain America Civil War.

My other issues is a heavy black crush on almost everything. Prior to installing my screen I assumed the crush was due to my initial testing being on a wall painted with flat dark gray paint, Sherwin Williams Cityscape Flat to be exact. Installing the 100 inch ES white screen with a 1.1 gain maybe helped a little with the crush but nothing substantial. I started with stock settings TV Vivid/Cinema, then adjusted the brightness/contrast/gamma with test patterns, switched HDMI from Auto to limited, lastly I tried dreamer's settings. Nothing improved the picture quality to what would be described as bright, and the colors are no where close to popping. While watching the Olympic gold medal hockey game the black in the Germans sweater look closer to blue and the Russians were a very dark unnoticeable red. The beginning of Rogue One's colors were lifeless and the details of the stones/mountain were almost unnoticeable.

Unfortunately I'm unable to see anything similar to dreamer's description of the picture as vibrant, with colors popping, and bright. I would say the brightness of the picture produced by my HT2050A is less than 20% of the brightness produced by my Pioneer 5020FD in Movie with brightness set to -1 when comparing scenes.

At this moment in time I'm leaning towards owning a defective unit due to the hours of research I have done, reading Sage's comments specifically because he is a plasma owner that is able to see motion blur.

All advice would be appreciated as I am willing to get a replacement unit, or am I just another plasma owner that doesn't enjoy any other TV technology.
post #29 of 279 Old 02-25-2018, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@BrownBagga , the most common issue that causes stray light from the HT2050/HT2050A is leaving the lens compartment cover open after adjusting lens shift, focus or zoom. Another less common issue is to get stray light around the screen when using digital keystone correction.

As a plasma owner and first time projector user it's possible that you might have unrealistic expectations for how bright a front projection image can get compared with a plasma. On a 100" 1.1 gain matte white screen the HT2050A should produce a bright and vibrant projection image in the dark. I notice you didn't mention if you have any ambient light in the room. But even at its brightest it's not going to be as bright as a plasma can be. Black levels will be nowhere near plasma-like unless you move up to something like a JVC.

It's also possible that you may have missed something in the menu that an HT2050/HT2050A owner might be able to walk you through. Of course it's also possible that you may have gotten a defective unit. But that can be hard to determine by verbal descriptions from someone new to front projection, so it may take some effort to work this out.
post #30 of 279 Old 02-25-2018, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBagga View Post
Unfortunately I'm unable to see anything similar to dreamer's description of the picture as vibrant, with colors popping, and bright. I would say the brightness of the picture produced by my HT2050A is less than 20% of the brightness produced by my Pioneer 5020FD in Movie with brightness set to -1 when comparing scenes.

At this moment in time I'm leaning towards owning a defective unit due to the hours of research I have done, reading Sage's comments specifically because he is a plasma owner that is able to see motion blur.
You mention my "descriptions", but you shouldn't have to rely on those -- there are dozens of pictures in my review. If your images from your unit do not look like those, then you may very well have a defective unit. Can you post some pictures of your setup ? How it is mounted, where the screen is, the room background and lighting, etc. ?

People differ on their definition of "pop" but images like this are hard to describe as "dull":

Black crush depends mostly on the Gamma setting selected. For dark content, setting Gamma to its lowest setting of 1.6 shows a lot more details than the normal 2.2, I find. In brighter content, such a low setting can leave things looking washed out, though.

Beyond that, be sure you have "Brilliant Color" turned "On" and Lamp set to "Smart Eco" to get the most brightness. You might want to start by "Reset" to factory settings in case you changed a setting you didn't intend to and now don't remember.
Fabricator likes this.

Kirk Ellis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page