Optoma UHD51A: 4K HDR 3D DLP Projector... w/ Alexa - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 585Likes

Old 02-19-2018, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paganmoon View Post
yes, the UHD50 does have the shortest throw of the current affordable "4K" projectors. Not quite at W1070 levels, but close. I'd say projectorcentrals is accurate as it gives the same throw info as Optomas own calc for the uhd50/40.
I was really excited about this as this shorter range solves a problem in my design (ceiling beam) but then I fiddled with the calculator and found that the zoom range of this projector does not allow it to perform CIH from a fixed location. It comes really close, but just misses the full range at 2.35, and is a few inches off on 2.4 width. That just seems like a requirement that should have been captured before the zoom design was implemented. Now I will still have to use an A-lens, in which case the disadvantages of this PJ throw it out of the running completely, or I have to accept some cropping of the 16x9 image.

#$*(!%^$&*%!&*($%&*(!*(^$!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2018, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 209
I guess the 1.3 zoom is at least better than BenQ's and ViewSonic's 1.2, but still, so close to useful...
Old 02-20-2018, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I have been following the threads on this projector (51A) along with 50 and BenQ 2550 and pondering on the value proposition of each of these PJs in relation to each other with due consideration towards their price.

Between the 50 &51A, the clear difference is Alexa, Frame Packed 3D and built in media player. I am trying to decide which of these would be the best bang for buck with respect to their value propositions in relation to their feature set. While the distinction seems to be very clear between the 51A and 50 due to the additional features, apart from the frame packed 3d, how useful is Alexa integration? Additionally, how useful would the built-in media player be?

We use Alexa in our house and its connected to our smart TV, however the most commands that we routinely use are "turn the TV on/off" and "raise / lower the volume". We find it easier to switch channels and inputs via the remote. This being a projector, I am not sure if we would use anything more than turning it "on or off". Besides, I would have to use a remote to control my other components so why not just use an "Activity Based" universal remote? Better yet, use a Harmony Hub (that is Alexa compatible) to use Alexa with a PJ if I must.

The built in media player sounds good, but will I be able to feed the audio to my receiver for the immersive sound? I see that there is "Audio Out" that could possibly be used to feed the audio signal to my receiver but it would require running an additional audio cable backwards to my receiver. If I use this projector mounted to my theater ceiling, its more likely that I will be feeding it signal via my AVR vs feeding my AVR sound via this PJ. If I do find myself needing such a feature wouldn't it be simpler to just connect a roku stick in the back of the PJ?

3D seems to be the only clear value proposition that would be useful to me - no arguing around that. But then, the BQ-2550 offers the same frame packed 3D at a lower price point. It doesn't have Alexa integration or a built in media player but then I don't think I would really ever use those.

On the other hand, UHD 50, without any frame packed 3D is competing on price with BenQ that offers 3D. Although I am willing to wait until 51A is out and available to see if there is any distinct performance advantage to the Optomas vs the BenQ, that all else being equal, BenQ may be the sweet spot of the features most need or use most. (Sorry, I know this is a 51A thread - but I am trying hard to understand its value proposition)

I would love to hear other's thoughts on this because I am certain that I am not alone in my thinking.

Last edited by starlights; 02-20-2018 at 07:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2018, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1861 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Wow holy long post

Unless you are using your PJ for audio and video I fail to understand the value proposition of Alexa at all.

If your pj is running off of your receiver (i would assume that’s most of us) then Alexa is only useful for on/off which quite frankly makes zero sense to me.

The frame packed 3D coupled with lens shift are pretty big wins over the closest competition the ht2550

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2018, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked: 582
@starlights : I've always been an Optoma fan, but if price point is the issue, then the Benq HT2550 would be the clear winner since it supports frame-packed bluray 3D. However, regardless of the Alexa, which I probably will never use, and the media streamer might be useful, but what really sells me on the 51A is the frame interpolation or PureMotion as Optoma calls it and vertical lens shift along with frame-packed 3D. My projector needs to hang down from the ceiling beyond the normal hanging point that avoids keystone. Plus, I had a projector in the past that did frame interpolation and when set properly it handles judder nicely without looking stagey. Avatar has always been a favorite of mine in 3D, but I always felt the judder in some scenes wrecked the movie. Then I saw it with some frame interpolation and had a "holy crap" moment. My current projector doesn't have it, and I really miss it for 3D. So it looks like the 51A has what I want. But, and it's a big but, I need to read a good review first! And I worry that it's not bright enough for my screen size for 3D.
xpostal and Frank714 like this.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
@starlights : I've always been an Optoma fan, but if price point is the issue, then the Benq HT2550 would be the clear winner since it supports frame-packed bluray 3D. However, regardless of the Alexa, which I probably will never use, and the media streamer might be useful, but what really sells me on the 51A is the frame interpolation or PureMotion as Optoma calls it and vertical lens shift along with frame-packed 3D. My projector needs to hang down from the ceiling beyond the normal hanging point that avoids keystone. Plus, I had a projector in the past that did frame interpolation and when set properly it handles judder nicely without looking stagey. Avatar has always been a favorite of mine in 3D, but I always felt the judder in some scenes wrecked the movie. Then I saw it with some frame interpolation and had a "holy crap" moment. My current projector doesn't have it, and I really miss it for 3D. So it looks like the 51A has what I want. But, and it's a big but, I need to read a good review first! And I worry that it's not bright enough for my screen size for 3D.
Bob, you make a great points with FI & Vertical Lens shift. I am sure those are good reasons for some to consider this PJ.
xpostal likes this.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1490 Post(s)
Liked: 365
One other difference between the 51A and the 2550 is that the Optoma is a shorter throw. That is important in my situation and for many others I suspect.
dally28 and Ken McPherson like this.

Jack
Old 02-20-2018, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlights View Post
I have been following the threads on this projector (51A) along with 50 and BenQ 2550 and pondering on the value proposition of each of these PJs in relation to each other with due consideration towards their price.

Between the 50 &51A, the clear difference is Alexa, Frame Packed 3D and built in media player. I am trying to decide which of these would be the best bang for buck with respect to their value propositions in relation to their feature set. While the distinction seems to be very clear between the 51A and 50 due to the additional features, apart from the frame packed 3d, how useful is Alexa integration? Additionally, how useful would the built-in media player be?

We use Alexa in our house and its connected to our smart TV, however the most commands that we routinely use are "turn the TV on/off" and "raise / lower the volume". We find it easier to switch channels and inputs via the remote. This being a projector, I am not sure if we would use anything more than turning it "on or off". Besides, I would have to use a remote to control my other components so why not just use an "Activity Based" universal remote? Better yet, use a Harmony Hub (that is Alexa compatible) to use Alexa with a PJ if I must.

The built in media player sounds good, but will I be able to feed the audio to my receiver for the immersive sound? I see that there is "Audio Out" that could possibly be used to feed the audio signal to my receiver but it would require running an additional audio cable backwards to my receiver. If I use this projector mounted to my theater ceiling, its more likely that I will be feeding it signal via my AVR vs feeding my AVR sound via this PJ. If I do find myself needing such a feature wouldn't it be simpler to just connect a roku stick in the back of the PJ?

3D seems to be the only clear value proposition that would be useful to me - no arguing around that. But then, the BQ-2550 offers the same frame packed 3D at a lower price point. It doesn't have Alexa integration or a built in media player but then I don't think I would really ever use those.

On the other hand, UHD 50, without any frame packed 3D is competing on price with BenQ that offers 3D. Although I am willing to wait until 51A is out and available to see if there is any distinct performance advantage to the Optomas vs the BenQ, that all else being equal, BenQ may be the sweet spot of the features most need or use most. (Sorry, I know this is a 51A thread - but I am trying hard to understand its value proposition)

I would love to hear other's thoughts on this because I am certain that I am not alone in my thinking.
I'm exactly on the same boat as you are. I'm looking at the three projectors 50, 51A and HT2550. I am leaning towards the 51A because of lens shift and 100% offset. I am just waiting for reviews of the 50 and 51A before I pull the trigger.
xpostal likes this.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken802 View Post
I'm exactly on the same boat as you are. I'm looking at the three projectors 50, 51A and HT2550. I am leaning towards the 51A because of lens shift and 100% offset. I am just waiting for reviews of the 50 and 51A before I pull the trigger.

Forgive dumb q. What is 100% offset and why would I want it?

Old 02-20-2018, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
Forgive dumb q. What is 100% offset and why would I want it?

http://www.hcinema.de/pdf/infocus-in...-offset-en.pdf
Old 02-20-2018, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Optoma UHD51A: 4K HDR 3D DLP Projector... w/ Alexa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McPherson View Post

The manual we read said there was a very small offset. Like 4” on a 150” screen.

Edit : we don’t know if that manual was the same as UHD50

Old 02-20-2018, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked: 582
The UHD50 and UHD51A both have a 15% offset with a +/- 5% tolerance. That means the projection lens can be 15% above or below the screen's height when mounting the projector to still not use keystone-but must be dead center horizontally. With the tolerance, probably based on zooming differences, that could change by 5%. In my case, I would have to mount the projector below the top of the screen because of my basement ceiling not being high enough. While others find that they want to mount closer to the ceiling, but have the middle of the screen at sitting eye level. In all situations, there should always be about 4" of space between the projector and the ceiling to avoid heat buildup--best to see what the manual recommends.

Here's a simple writeup on how it works. https://www.projectorpeople.com/reso...lens_shift.asp

I have found when mounting a projector: first use a ladder to temporarily position the projector where you think it should be mounted, then adjust the zoom, focus and lens offset. It might take two people to do this--one holding the projector steady on stack of books, etc. while another person does the adjustments. You will save a lot of frustration of having mounted the projector first based on calculations and then finding it doesn't fit the screen properly because of the offset tolerance.
Ken McPherson, ken802 and xpostal like this.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So does the 51 have anything over the 50 except for the 3D stuff and alexa support with an external device? Trying to decide if I should wait or not..
Old 02-22-2018, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceOD View Post
So does the 51 have anything over the 50 except for the 3D stuff and alexa support with an external device? Trying to decide if I should wait or not..
frame packed 3D is a pretty major add...

I believe it also has "SMART TV" type functionality but if you have a dedicated theater that function is useless to you.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceOD View Post
The 51a also has frame interpolation, Android OS, and a built-in media player. Most of this has already been discussed in the UHD50 thread.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-dig...l#post55737216
Old 02-22-2018, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Send a message via Skype™ to Tuan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McPherson View Post
The 51a also has frame interpolation, Android OS, and a built-in media player. Most of this has already been discussed in the UHD50 thread.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-dig...l#post55737216
Its also a black chassis, if you're concerned about color .
Old 02-22-2018, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Black is sexy. In case you didn’t know.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Black is sexy. In case you didn’t know.

You could buy a UHD51A and UHD50, mix and match the cases so you have two Panda projectors.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
You could buy a UHD51A and UHD50, mix and match the cases so you have two Panda projectors.
Now THAT'S a line worthy of a marketing director!
Old 02-22-2018, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Are these BOGO now? Lol

Old 02-22-2018, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

Are these BOGO now? Lol

Sure, it's BOGO if you pay $3200 for the UHD51A.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sure, it's BOGO if you pay $3200 for the UHD51A.
such a deal!
Old 02-27-2018, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Maybe this is just me, but I see a lot of people comparing both the BenQ HT2550 and the Optoma UHD51a, but isnt there also a comparison with the Epson 4000 between these projectors? I ask because I am on the fence. I see the pros and cons between them all, but I just don't know which one to pull the trigger on and I am close to buying the Epson 4000, but would love your advice if given the choice and why. That would be a HUGE help. My ceilings are 11 feet and the room is 18' x 20'. Screen will be 110" Elite Screens Cinegray 3D.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R G Huxley View Post
Maybe this is just me, but I see a lot of people comparing both the BenQ HT2550 and the Optoma UHD51a, but isnt there also a comparison with the Epson 4000 between these projectors? I ask because I am on the fence. I see the pros and cons between them all, but I just don't know which one to pull the trigger on and I am close to buying the Epson 4000, but would love your advice if given the choice and why. That would be a HUGE help. My ceilings are 11 feet and the room is 18' x 20'. Screen will be 110" Elite Screens Cinegray 3D.
The comparisons between our UHD50/UHD51A and the BenQ HT2550 is because they are all 4K projectors and can produce 8.3-million distinct pixels on screen. The Epson is essentially a line doubler for 1080p and doesn't produce the detail the 4K DLP projectors can.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
The comparisons between our UHD50/UHD51A and the BenQ HT2550 is because they are all 4K projectors and can produce 8.3-million distinct pixels on screen. The Epson is essentially a line doubler for 1080p and doesn't produce the detail the 4K DLP projectors can.
Ok. Thanks so much for your response
Old 02-27-2018, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by R G Huxley View Post
Ok. Thanks so much for your response
Bear in mind the Optomas only have one year warranties versus BenQ's three year. Might be needed given how new this tech is.
starlights and johndong888 like this.

Elunevision 4K 112" Audioweave motorized screen, Epson Pro Cinema 4040 projector, Emotiva XPA-5 amplifier, Denon AVR X4400h receiver, XTZ M6 LCR, XTZ S5 surround, XTZ 1X12 and Definitive Technology Powerfield subwoofers, RSL C34E Atmos speakers, Apple TV 4K, Panasonic DP-UB820
Old 02-27-2018, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1490 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by avtoronto View Post
Bear in mind the Optomas only have one year warranties versus BenQ's three year. Might be needed given how new this tech is.
I think I remember reading on one of these threads recently that the Optoma was actually longer than 1 year.

Jack
Old 02-27-2018, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
I think I remember reading on one of these threads recently that the Optoma was actually longer than 1 year.
One year on projector and ninety days on lamp - Optoma web site.

Elunevision 4K 112" Audioweave motorized screen, Epson Pro Cinema 4040 projector, Emotiva XPA-5 amplifier, Denon AVR X4400h receiver, XTZ M6 LCR, XTZ S5 surround, XTZ 1X12 and Definitive Technology Powerfield subwoofers, RSL C34E Atmos speakers, Apple TV 4K, Panasonic DP-UB820
Old 02-27-2018, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is there a release date for the 51A?
johndong888 likes this.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANTI5 View Post
Is there a release date for the 51A?

Last we heard was late Q1. At this point I would assume 3/31.

MANTI5 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
blu ray , hdcp , hdmi , hdmi 2.0 , projector