Optoma UHD51A: 4K HDR 3D DLP Projector... w/ Alexa - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 590Likes

post #691 of 1849 Old 05-22-2018, 03:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
The UHD51A has 10% vertical lens shift according to the manual. Theoretically, if you could mount it high enough that the full 10% vertical shift put the top of the 16:9 image at the top of your screen, then for scope movies you could reduce the lens shift to its minimum and have your 2.40:1 movies start only 3% down from the top without tilting the projector. Then a small tilt would introduce such minor keystone you'd barely notice.

The other option would be to make your PC capable of playing your 4k discs. Depending on what software player you use for your 4k-disc capable PC, you might be able to crop the movie on the PC. Yet another option might be to rip your 4k discs to a media server and crop the image while ripping it to H264 or whatever file type, so your movie has been shifted to using rows 1-1620 instead of 271-1890. I think that would require a less powerful PC than actually playing the movie directly from disc, but that is based on my reading and not experience.
I can't mount it high enough.

I'm looking into your PC option. Actually the way I want to do it is through handbrake so that it plays a 16:9 movie with the 2.35 part pushed to the top and all the black is at the bottom. That way I can play my movies through Plex and I don't have to spend hundreds on a PC.

Again, if I have a disc that I don't have time to rip I'm stuck. Seems like the UHD50 is going to be a better option for me.

I've also been giving a lot of thought to what does 3D really mean to me and the answer is almost nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 1849 Old 05-22-2018, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Is the only difference between the UHD60 and UHD51a 3D and a black vs. white case?
post #693 of 1849 Old 05-22-2018, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty3x3 View Post
Is the only difference between the UHD60 and UHD51a 3D and a black vs. white case?
No, they use completely different chipsets AND color wheels. Entirely different products.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #694 of 1849 Old 05-22-2018, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Any word on if/when the non-Alexa version (UHD51) will be available in the US for those of us who have no need for Alexa? Hoping to keep new projector cost under $1500 if possible...
post #695 of 1849 Old 05-22-2018, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShift76 View Post
Any word on if/when the non-Alexa version (UHD51) will be available in the US for those of us who have no need for Alexa? Hoping to keep new projector cost under $1500 if possible...
UHD51 is Europe only.
post #696 of 1849 Old 05-22-2018, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McPherson View Post
UHD51 is Europe only.
Ok, bummer... Thanks for replying.
Ken McPherson likes this.
post #697 of 1849 Old 05-22-2018, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Anyone know the release day in Canada?

Denon 8500,
Martin Logan Descent i subwoofer
JVC RS 540 projector, 120 acoustic transparent fixed screen
Energy Veritas V-6.3 Speaker x 3
post #698 of 1849 Old 05-22-2018, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1495 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
I can't mount it high enough.

I'm looking into your PC option. Actually the way I want to do it is through handbrake so that it plays a 16:9 movie with the 2.35 part pushed to the top and all the black is at the bottom. That way I can play my movies through Plex and I don't have to spend hundreds on a PC.

Again, if I have a disc that I don't have time to rip I'm stuck. Seems like the UHD50 is going to be a better option for me.

I've also been giving a lot of thought to what does 3D really mean to me and the answer is almost nothing.
Remember that Keystone Correction will introduce image artifacts including jaggies. It is quite a bit of correction when the projector is tilted enough to get the black bars off the top of the screen.

For any projector which lacks the vertical lens shift or digital image shift to get the image sans black bars to the top of the screen, such as the UHD51A, it really would be nice to do it at the source. Although some disc players like the Oppo did some scaling, they did not allow simple image shifting.

I downloaded Handbrake and played with it. The Cropping function leaves an output image which cannot be larger dimensions than the cropped portion, so you cannot crop out the black bars and position the 2.4:1 remainder in the top portion of the 16:9 frame. The output file played on Plex looks exactly like the original since Plex plays the file centered within the 16:9 frame. You CAN crop only the top black bar, and when Plex plays the file in the center of the vertical height you get a black bar that is half as wide. Maybe you have enough mounting height to get it completely off the screen then, or it would reduce the tilt required and be acceptable without resorting to keystone correction. Handbrake is Open Source, so maybe they would add a "Positioning" function if you wrote them.

I am still looking at other video editors, and some offer "split screen" where you can combine two videos. Unfortunately, none seem to offer a vertical split that is adjustable or where the top video is 3/4 of the height and the bottom is only 1/4 -- that would be perfect for placing a scope movie in the top frame and a black field or logo or something in the bottom that you'd never see when zoomed out.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
post #699 of 1849 Old 05-23-2018, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I was checking the 51a using Calman and a Lumagen Radience Mini as a signal source. All was well until I noticed that the Gamma menu was grayed out and set to Cinema. Switching to a DVD and changing settings and display modes on the 51A did nothing. I finally did a reset on the 51A which brought back the Gamma menu.
Strange.
td
post #700 of 1849 Old 05-23-2018, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 147
You can read in some of my earlier posts that I too have had to reset the UHD51A on occasion (mainly to get the XPR to re-engage and display 4K correctly again). I've noticed about 4 or 5 glitches using and switching between my various display devices. I'm waiting for others to discover some of them before I start saying anything. There have been work-a-rounds for everything fortunately. Most are just weird little things if you're observant enough and happen to be looking into the menu settings while 1 or 2 of them can actually affect the picture quality. I'm sure the less devices you use and the less format switching you do, the less likely you are to encounter these oddities.

P.S. Keep in mind the UHD51A, UHD60 and I'm sure most of the Optoma projectors can use different default picture settings and make various settings available or not available depending on the input signal (Color Depth, Component or RGB, resolution, etc.)

P.P.S. What 'inexpensive' calibration tools would you recommend for a novice for use with projectors and TVs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsondave View Post
I was checking the 51a using Calman and a Lumagen Radience Mini as a signal source. All was well until I noticed that the Gamma menu was grayed out and set to Cinema. Switching to a DVD and changing settings and display modes on the 51A did nothing. I finally did a reset on the 51A which brought back the Gamma menu.
Strange.
td

Display: Optoma UHD51A Projector > Elite Screens R135WH1 ezFrame | 7.2.4 Audio: Onkyo TX-RZ920 9.2ch Network A/V Receiver, M-5010 2ch Amplifier; Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 1000(x10), SuperCube I & 4000 | Sources: PC, DirecTV, Apple 4K, Fire Stick 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Chromecast & Roku Ultras, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro & Nintendo Switch | Remote: Harmony Elite | HDMI: 40' Monoprice DynamicView+4x1 Switch
post #701 of 1849 Old 05-23-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbeenjammin1969 View Post
I have always used the vesa port for the 3D on all of my optoma projectors.Is there are thread comparing the 3D DLP link vs the 3D vesa port?
I too always used vesa RF glasses. I purchased some Optoma DLP Link glasses prior to getting the 51A. I compared them with rf glasses on my HD142x. No difference when viewing. Only difference is link will lose sync if you put them down for a while and require 5-10 seconds to resync.
td
urbeenjammin1969 likes this.
post #702 of 1849 Old 05-23-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post
You can read in some of my earlier posts that I too have had to reset the UHD51A on occasion (mainly to get the XPR to re-engage and display 4K correctly again). I've noticed about 4 or 5 glitches using and switching between my various display devices. I'm waiting for others to discover some of them before I start saying anything. There have been work-a-rounds for everything fortunately. Most are just weird little things if you're observant enough and happen to be looking into the menu settings while 1 or 2 of them can actually affect the picture quality. I'm sure the less devices you use and the less format switching you do, the less likely you are to encounter these oddities.

P.S. Keep in mind the UHD51A, UHD60 and I'm sure most of the Optoma projectors can use different default picture settings and make various settings available or not available depending on the input signal (Color Depth, Component or RGB, resolution, etc.)

P.P.S. What 'inexpensive' calibration tools would you recommend for a novice for use with projectors and TVs?

I had it shut down after power on. The spinning blue snake locked up then the 51a shut off. Also the random switch from HDMI 1 to 2. Hey, after all, it's a computer with a light bulb!

I've know that sometimes the color/tint controls on projectors will be ghosted depending on input but I've never seen just the Gamma go gray and not return.

Probably the Color HCFR program and an X-Rite I1 colorimeter. I had Calman because I had a Lumagen Radience mini video processor which would auto-cal. It was only 1080p so it's out of the 4K loop.
For basic set-up I use the Disney WOW disk. The Spears and Munsil HD Benchmark Blu-ray is a bit more advanced and supports 3D. I don't know of any 4k calibration disks.

I also confirmed that the 51A will not support the old HQFS 3D DVD format. I think it's forcing the 480i input to progressive.

One more thing. Could you look at the lens while projecting an image, from an angle of course, and see if there is an appearance of fog inside the front element?
thanks,
td

Last edited by tucsondave; 05-23-2018 at 12:58 PM.
post #703 of 1849 Old 05-23-2018, 01:19 PM
Sit

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Did you get an air filter in your UHD51A?

I didn't, unless I was suppose to install it and misplaced it. I was doing some moving around of stuff and noticed a place for your finger on the bottom of the UHD51A. My curiosity got me, I slid out the "dust filter compartment", and nothing. The user manual made sense of this entry point indicating that this is where the air filter goes.

Did you get a filter already installed or did you install it yourself (and I have to locate mine) or is your's missing too?

Thanks!

My 51A came from Amazon.

And tucsondave, "it's a computer with a light bulb!". I like that .
post #704 of 1849 Old 05-23-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit View Post
Did you get an air filter in your UHD51A?

I didn't, unless I was suppose to install it and misplaced it. I was doing some moving around of stuff and noticed a place for your finger on the bottom of the UHD51A. My curiosity got me, I slid out the "dust filter compartment", and nothing. The user manual made sense of this entry point indicating that this is where the air filter goes.

Did you get a filter already installed or did you install it yourself (and I have to locate mine) or is your's missing too?

Thanks!

My 51A came from Amazon.

And tucsondave, "it's a computer with a light bulb!". I like that .

From the manual:
Note: Dust filters are only required/supplied in the selected regions with excessive dust.

So unless you ordered from Amazon.Gobi then there would be no dust filter. Also no filter if you lived in the Amazon. No filter either if you were being attacked by Amazons, but then it wouldn't matter.
td
post #705 of 1849 Old 05-23-2018, 04:34 PM
Sit

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Yikes, I totally missed that. I had to go back and look twice. No "Amazons", to my knowledge, either. Thanks.
Quote:
From the manual:
Note: Dust filters are only required/supplied in the selected regions with excessive dust.

So unless you ordered from Amazon.Gobi then there would be no dust filter. Also no filter if you lived in the Amazon. No filter either if you were being attacked by Amazons, but then it wouldn't matter.
td
Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
post #706 of 1849 Old 05-23-2018, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Picture of my lens attached.

Quote:
Quote:

I had it shut down after power on. The spinning blue snake locked up then the 51a shut off. Also the random switch from HDMI 1 to 2. Hey, after all, it's a computer with a light bulb!

I've know that sometimes the color/tint controls on projectors will be ghosted depending on input but I've never seen just the Gamma go gray and not return.

Probably the Color HCFR program and an X-Rite I1 colorimeter. I had Calman because I had a Lumagen Radience mini video processor which would auto-cal. It was only 1080p so it's out of the 4K loop.
For basic set-up I use the Disney WOW disk. The Spears and Munsil HD Benchmark Blu-ray is a bit more advanced and supports 3D. I don't know of any 4k calibration disks.

I also confirmed that the 51A will not support the old HQFS 3D DVD format. I think it's forcing the 480i input to progressive.

One more thing. Could you look at the lens while projecting an image, from an angle of course, and see if there is an appearance of fog inside the front element?
thanks,
td
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	398089A9-902D-40EF-B9E1-AC601275FA4E_1527121031402.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	2406598  

Display: Optoma UHD51A Projector > Elite Screens R135WH1 ezFrame | 7.2.4 Audio: Onkyo TX-RZ920 9.2ch Network A/V Receiver, M-5010 2ch Amplifier; Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 1000(x10), SuperCube I & 4000 | Sources: PC, DirecTV, Apple 4K, Fire Stick 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Chromecast & Roku Ultras, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro & Nintendo Switch | Remote: Harmony Elite | HDMI: 40' Monoprice DynamicView+4x1 Switch
post #707 of 1849 Old 05-23-2018, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I thought I might as well ask here because I can't demo these in stores but all i care is about picture quality, so I should get UHD51A, UHD60, or epson 4000 (or is 5040UB the way to go?)???
post #708 of 1849 Old 05-24-2018, 01:12 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 18
okay need help this is my first projector I have a receiver, ps3, ps4 , 4k player how should I hook everything ? should I do like I did on tv everything to receiver then out to projector ? Receiver is Pioneer VSX-1131 7.2-Channel (I am going to be doing 5.2.2 Atmos , player is Sony UBP-X800 Region Free 4K UHD Blu-ray Player, PS4 not pro .
Thanks
post #709 of 1849 Old 05-24-2018, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by rongopongo View Post
I thought I might as well ask here because I can't demo these in stores but all i care is about picture quality, so I should get UHD51A, UHD60, or epson 4000 (or is 5040UB the way to go?)???
You may find this article useful: http://www.projectorcentral.com/epso...d60-review.htm

Elunevision 4K 112" Audioweave motorized screen, Epson Pro Cinema 4040 projector, Emotiva XPA-5 amplifier, Denon AVR X4400h receiver, XTZ M6 LCR, XTZ S5 surround, XTZ 1X12 and Definitive Technology Powerfield subwoofers, RSL C34E Atmos speakers, Apple TV 4K, Panasonic DP-UB820
post #710 of 1849 Old 05-24-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Picture of my lens attached.

Thanks WH. Mine looks the same.
BTW I noticed the projector is black and the ceiling is white, like mine. How are you coping with the fact that they don't match? Therapy? Safe space? Hugs?
post #711 of 1849 Old 05-24-2018, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I will admit to liking a white projector up there (had a HD33 {gave to brother} and UHD60 {wrapped up behind the couch for now}) but the black hasn't troubled me. I have 11 black speakers all around the room with off-white walls, a black low-profile component rack and black devices so technically, the projector now matches everything else.

post #712 of 1849 Old 05-24-2018, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Send a message via Skype™ to Tuan
Quote:
Can you please provide images / video when this happens? We were not able to replicate your issue and have not seen issues with the XPR not engaging.
post #713 of 1849 Old 05-24-2018, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holzwerk View Post
PURE MOTION is OK only with YUV not with RGB.
It's the other way around - for 4K HDR sources, pure motion only works with RGB.
post #714 of 1849 Old 05-24-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
It's the other way around - for 4K HDR sources, pure motion only works with RGB.
Will Puremotion work with a 10 bit 4:2:0 4K HDR input from Roku Ultra? YUV vs RGB is meaningless to many of us.

Thanks.

Last edited by Ken McPherson; 05-24-2018 at 11:43 AM.
post #715 of 1849 Old 05-24-2018, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Can you please provide images / video when this happens? We were not able to replicate your issue and have not seen issues with the XPR not engaging.

I will. That's my only explanation of what is going on. Menu text and image appear pixelated (gaps between pixels) and not in 4K even when the projector's info is showing it is receiving 4K.

Last edited by Wesley Hester; 05-24-2018 at 01:07 PM.
post #716 of 1849 Old 05-24-2018, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Will Puremotion work with a 10 bit 4:2:0 4K HDR input from Roku Ultra? Are there any 4K HDR streaming devices that will enable Puremotion in 4K HDR on UHD51a? YUV vs RGB is meaningless to many of us.

Thanks.

Pure Motion is available on the Roku Ultra, Chromecast Ultra and Apple 4K TV for sure.

post #717 of 1849 Old 05-24-2018, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
YUV vs RGB is meaningless to many of us.
RGB / YUV refers to the color space format. Some devices let you set the format in video output settings.
post #718 of 1849 Old 05-24-2018, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm going to post a list of all my devices (with all of the various outputs of each) with their picture settings (I'm using and default) and which settings aren't available in each one (not many really). It's in a wide Excel file but I'll just post JPG snippets of it so everyone can see it.

post #719 of 1849 Old 05-24-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
RGB / YUV refers to the color space format. Some devices let you set the format in video output settings.
I understand that. But in terms of determining if Puremotion UHD51a would work with a Roku Ultra at 10 bit 4:2:0 4K HDR, that didn't help, because Roku Ultra does not indicate if it's signal is RGB or YUV and I could not find the answer online after quite a bit of searching.

I'm glad to hear it works!
post #720 of 1849 Old 05-24-2018, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
My projector finally arrived have difficulty getting a perfectly aligned image even with the test pattern currently sitting on table my mound has not arrived yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
blu ray , hdcp , hdmi , hdmi 2.0 , projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page