Optoma UHD51A: 4K HDR 3D DLP Projector... w/ Alexa - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 585Likes

post #781 of 1829 Old 05-28-2018, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post
The light border is something alright. I'm getting "use to" but not liking it any more than before.

Just know that the UHD60 and I'm sure the UHD65 have light borders too just way smaller compared to the UHD51A. Someone in the UHD60 thread told me about it. I never saw it until I extended the image out beyond my screen. With the image normal size, the light border was 'ate up' by my screen's black felt border. With the UHD51A the light border extends 3 inches beyond the screen's 2-1/2 inch felt border. Using a 135" screen.
For reasons I haven't bothered to research, the active mirrors seem to need to be in the middle of a bed of mirrors surrounded by inactive mirrors. Can't terminate the active image edges abruptly? I have no clue.
I wish there was a way TI could apply a mask around the DMD over the inactive mirrors without corrupting the light output somehow. Optoma and other manufactures can't do it after the fact externally on account of lens shift, zoom, etc. affecting the image.
If you are clever and into DIY, you could surely make a mask (using some paper-thin black-anodized aluminium film) and lay it around the active DMD area, glue or screw it in place, then close up the projector. I don't recommend doing this unless you are in a what the heck state of mind: maybe after a few years of ownership, or have to open it up to wipe fluff off the DMD so you might as well.

BTW there are light borders around all DLP projectors. Just use black masking around the screen itself instead of trying to open it up for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 1829 Old 05-28-2018, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 18
ok I set everything up speakers and all and am having a strange issue? I get no dialogue on my 3d blu rays but get it on the 4k and regular ones . 3d is working fine and have background sub and music fine just the voices not coming through and only on 3d discs even with chosing different settings ie 7.1 or 5.1 on the discs . Help lol
post #783 of 1829 Old 05-28-2018, 05:21 PM

also I cant find the pair code to get alexa working and when I hit register it says by pair code fail?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 1829 Old 05-28-2018, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmus View Post
So I had TK800 for almost 2 weeks now. I have been touch by multiple issues:
- EDID sync issues causing no HDR output
- DLP link issues in 3d movies causing lost of sync
- 3d movies going into split mode (split line in the middle)
- long 20 sec 3d syncs
- whites over saturated to the point that "bold" subtitles were melting altogether.
- two "resets" of the unit.
- strange hissing going out of the projector.

I decided to pull a trigger on UHD51A as i am still in a month windows of return to amazon.
I have been watching content and playing games on my TK800 last night to "saturate" my eyes with the image.
I went thru GotG2 UHD, 3d , Thor Ragnarok UHD and 3d, some youtube movies and XBOX one HDR Assasin Creed Orgin.
Got annoyed by RBE on Assassin creed each time i used a map :-(

Now here comes UHD i mounted it underneath the TK800 went thru setting. Adjusted color, brightness etc..
I'm after whole day of using this projector.. and I am blown away...

- 3d took few sec to sync and automatically!!!!!
- 3d look much better then TK800 with better colors more depth etc.
- scences which de-syn in Life of Pi, not only did not do it but looked amazing on UHD51A.
- Thor Rangnarok coliseum fight and intial fight in UHD is something i will be re watching daily on this projector.
- Assasin Creen Orgins... omg... this flowers cannot be more blue and red... and ... and no RBE and purple tint when moving to map!!!

TK800 out, UHD51A found it's new home.
I had similar RBE issues with a TK800, and exchanged for a UHD50. Much happier now. I can see RBE only if I move my head really fast on a bright object.
post #785 of 1829 Old 05-28-2018, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 146
I just wish TI would find a way to do it at the postage stamp size source. I've got all my materials to black mask around my screen but decided to leave it alone after all. It's more of a living room than a dedicated theater room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAxeVR View Post
Quote:
The light border is something alright. I'm getting "use to" but not liking it any more than before.

Just know that the UHD60 and I'm sure the UHD65 have light borders too just way smaller compared to the UHD51A. Someone in the UHD60 thread told me about it. I never saw it until I extended the image out beyond my screen. With the image normal size, the light border was 'ate up' by my screen's black felt border. With the UHD51A the light border extends 3 inches beyond the screen's 2-1/2 inch felt border. Using a 135" screen.
For reasons I haven't bothered to research, the active mirrors seem to need to be in the middle of a bed of mirrors surrounded by inactive mirrors. Can't terminate the active image edges abruptly? I have no clue.
I wish there was a way TI could apply a mask around the DMD over the inactive mirrors without corrupting the light output somehow. Optoma and other manufactures can't do it after the fact externally on account of lens shift, zoom, etc. affecting the image.
If you are clever and into DIY, you could surely make a mask (using some paper-thin black-anodized aluminium film) and lay it around the active DMD area, glue or screw it in place, then close up the projector. I don't recommend doing this unless you are in a what the heck state of mind: maybe after a few years of ownership, or have to open it up to wipe fluff off the DMD so you might as well.

BTW there are light borders around all DLP projectors. Just use black masking around the screen itself instead of trying to open it up for now.

Display: Optoma UHD51A Projector > Elite Screens R135WH1 ezFrame | 7.2.4 Audio: Onkyo TX-RZ920 9.2ch Network A/V Receiver, M-5010 2ch Amplifier; Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 1000(x10), SuperCube I & 4000 | Sources: PC, DirecTV, Apple 4K, Fire Stick 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Chromecast & Roku Ultras, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro & Nintendo Switch | Remote: Harmony Elite | HDMI: 40' Monoprice DynamicView+4x1 Switch
post #786 of 1829 Old 05-28-2018, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmerd View Post
I had similar RBE issues with a TK800, and exchanged for a UHD50. Much happier now. I can see RBE only if I move my head really fast on a bright object.
the brigtness is not there on UHD but no more issues with RBE and 3d movies .. i loves how small and compact tk800 was ... maybe next iteration of tkXXX will be there.

what about UHD60 is it better .. are they planning UHD6X lol ?

Last edited by macmus; 05-28-2018 at 07:16 PM.
post #787 of 1829 Old 05-28-2018, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 50
For those with oversaturated colors here is what I have noticed with my 51A and using the Spears and Muncil HD Benchmark 2 disk, Disney WOW calibration disk, and some of the HDR calibration files found elsewhere on the forum.

If "Color Space" is set to "Auto" colors are oversaturated and contrast can not be adjusted properly.
Output is 422 from my Panasonic UHD Blu-ray. Projector color space is set to YUV (0-255).
Color Gamut = "Cinema."
Brightness = -12
Contrast = 6
Color = 10
Tint = -5
(Color and Tint set using blue filter and Disney WOW disk.)

Gamma = 2.4 (for dark viewing environment)
Lamp set to "Eco"
Projected from 13' onto a 122" matte white screen with a gain of 1.3.

td
ryudoadema likes this.

Last edited by tucsondave; 05-29-2018 at 06:43 AM.
post #788 of 1829 Old 05-28-2018, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post
Optoma UHD51A is a keeper! I'm quite impressed, after just 2 hours of testing, for the key things it gets right at its price point.[*]My BenQ HT2550 had slightly off-focus corners, but UHD51A has even/uniform focus for entire projected image area. Also, the focus ring is easier to use than with HT2550, to dial in a close to perfect/sharp image.
Hm, this sounds good.

I have Sony VPL-VW285ES and the focus is not completely uniform and I am absolutely OCD about uniform focus. Wonder if I should check out UHD51A.
post #789 of 1829 Old 05-29-2018, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Send a message via Skype™ to Tuan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoviestar View Post
ok I set everything up speakers and all and am having a strange issue? I get no dialogue on my 3d blu rays but get it on the 4k and regular ones . 3d is working fine and have background sub and music fine just the voices not coming through and only on 3d discs even with chosing different settings ie 7.1 or 5.1 on the discs . Help lol
Are you using the built in speaker or using the audio output from the projector?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoviestar View Post
also I cant find the pair code to get alexa working and when I hit register it says by pair code fail?
Did you download the iOS/Android app and start the Alexa app on the projector?
post #790 of 1829 Old 05-29-2018, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Following up on my previous post on this. Tuan, you’ve mentioned you use nVidia Shield TV, so hope you can comment (or anyone w/Shield)...

According to Optoma's datasheet, UHD51A supports:

3840 x 2160 at 30Hz
- YUV 4:4:4 (8bit, 10bit, 12bit)
- YUV 4:2:2 (8bit, 10bit, 12bit)
- YUV 4:2:0 (8bit, 10bit, 12bit)

3840 x 2160 at 60Hz
- YUV 4:4:4 (8bit)
- YUV 4:2:2 (8bit)
- YUV 4:2:0 (8bit, 10bit, 12bit)

With 23.976/24Hz 4K HDR content, I get 4:4:4 12bit w/my Zidoo X9S (Realtek 1295 SoC) & new Zidoo X20 (Realtek 1296). Great, full resolution as expected. But, why do I only get 4:2:0 8bit w/my nVidia Shield TV using Kodi 18 Alpha 2 (no matter which resolution/color space combo I apply in Shield's display settings)? Should also be playing 23.976/24Hz at 4:4:4 12bit.

To take AVR and long HDMI cable both out of the equation, I tried connecting my Shield directly to UHD51A with just a 6ft 'high speed' 18Gbps-capable HDMI cable; same results.

With Shield & Epson 5040UB, I got 4:2:0 12bit w/23.976 (as Epson can’t do 4:4:4 10/12bit), so it isn’t the Shield.

Also, what's odd is that w/[email protected] HDR content, I do get 4:2:0 10bit w/Shield. Just not 10 or 12bit w/the more important 23.976 via Shield.

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus
post #791 of 1829 Old 05-29-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
Are you using the built in speaker or using the audio output from the projector?

Did you download the iOS/Android app and start the Alexa app on the projector?
running hdmi out to receiver through AVR channel it is only with 3d blu rays nothing else its strange and got the Alexa to finally work
post #792 of 1829 Old 05-30-2018, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Tuan, I contacted Logitech to add the UHD51a and received the following response. Would you or someone at Optoma please provide Logitech the information requested below to enable Logitech products to control the UHD51a
Thanks

First of all, thank you for giving us this opportunity to assist you with your concern regarding the Optoma Projector that you would like to be added to the Harmony database. We'll be more than glad to partner up with you so we can get this straightened out.

We'll be more than happy to add it to our database. However, we'll be needing your help with regards to contacting the manufacturer of the said projector so we could get the Hexcodes for it. Please contact Optoma and request for the Hexcodes of the said projector. We could ask them to have it in an excel format. Once we got the information needed, we'll be more than happy to send this over to our higer department for encoding.

We'll be waiting for your reply once you got the information needed for the Optoma projector.

Best regards,
Logitech Customer Care
support.logitech.com
post #793 of 1829 Old 05-30-2018, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I added the UHD51A as uhd550x and it works turns it on sets to correct hdmi input
post #794 of 1829 Old 05-30-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmerd View Post
I think "enhanced" RBE is dude to saturated white on TK800.
Don't get me wrong TK800 for bright environment was perfect -> no RBE.
In dark environment RBE is much lesser in UHD51A to my feelings.
post #795 of 1829 Old 05-30-2018, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Found an issue with power/standby. Last night, power went out for 2 seconds in my area. I wake up in the morning & find my UHD51A on & projecting. It had been on for almost 4 hours! Hope this isn't a h/w design flaw, and can be fixed via f/w.

post #796 of 1829 Old 05-30-2018, 06:07 PM

what is the input lag for UHD51A.. how is it for 60fps gaming ?
post #797 of 1829 Old 05-30-2018, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So is anyone having any issues with RBE? Looks like I'm going to pull the trigger and go with the UHD51A but before I do I just want to make sure that there isn't any real issues with RBE. From what I'm reading here I'm not seeing any issues or real complaints. So let me know any RBE?
post #798 of 1829 Old 05-31-2018, 01:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Finally got the UHD51 hooked to the ceiling mount. 4K from the PS4 looks good, haven't tested much though. I did reconnect and run through my reciever that's not 4K compatible, and it automatically changed to [email protected] but the picture looked a bit off. I'm seeing sort of a border around texts on the PS4 home menu that I've never noticed on the w1070. Will have to play around with settings a bit more to see if it's fixable.

Also tested watching some football from my digital box at [email protected] and I got artifacts around certain objects when the picture panned. Sort of like edge enhancement artifacts, lowering sharpness did help a bit, but I'm still not getting a very clear picture when there's panning, and you can see artifacts on the ball when it's flying in the air, as if there's a ghost copy before and after the ball.

Brightnesswise, it's much brighter than my W1070 when running in eco-mode, but that could very well be due to the lamp on the W1070 being over 4000 hours.

I've set the UHD51 to Eco mode on a few different presets, and lowered sharpness on one (for sports), other than that all settings are default out of the box so far.

Haven't noticed any RBE in my short time with it, but then again I never could see it with the W1070 either.

Regarding Gaming Lag, I did try playing some InFamous: Second Son on the PS4, 4K HDR, and I could definitely notice some input lag. tested the same game on 1080p and it worked fine, with pretty much the same input lag as the W1070 (not measured, just how it feels, so don't put too much stock into this). Will play around a bit more with 4K settings for gaming later.

If anyone has recommendations for settings they already use, please do provide them.

PC-connection, I haven't tested 4K from the PC yet, as I've got a 10m cable from the PC going to the reciever, and neither that cable or the reciever is 4K compatible, so that's going to have to wait for another time.
zzoo likes this.
post #799 of 1829 Old 05-31-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Found an issue with power/standby. Last night, power went out for 2 seconds in my area. I wake up in the morning & find my UHD51A on & projecting. It had been on for almost 4 hours! Hope this isn't a h/w design flaw, and can be fixed via f/w.

Did you check to see if "Direct Power On" is Off and that "Auto Power Off" is On?

td
post #800 of 1829 Old 05-31-2018, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
This was happening to me with power outages and my optoma hd33. in "power settings" turn off "direct power on" it is designed to turn on the projector when its power source is turned on.

post #801 of 1829 Old 05-31-2018, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamasgot16 View Post
So is anyone having any issues with RBE? Looks like I'm going to pull the trigger and go with the UHD51A but before I do I just want to make sure that there isn't any real issues with RBE. From what I'm reading here I'm not seeing any issues or real complaints. So let me know any RBE?
I pulled the trigger and got my unit yesterday. Spent an hour playing around with it and didn't see any RBE.
Micke S and Bamasgot16 like this.
post #802 of 1829 Old 05-31-2018, 02:53 PM

Liked: 0
Could somebody please help me understand what are we getting for paying $300 extra over UHD50.

Just the BluRay 3D and Alexa control.

I was hoping that UHD51a can also act like a smartTV and stream contents from YouTube, Netflix etc. directly. Is it possible?

That way one can avoid having to buy another separate streaming device.

Thx!
post #803 of 1829 Old 05-31-2018, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 146
It has a USB media player and EZ Cast for media streaming over your network but no streaming apps like Netflix, Hulu, etc. unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushil Gupta View Post
Could somebody please help me understand what are we getting for paying $300 extra over UHD50.

Just the BluRay 3D and Alexa control.

I was hoping that UHD51a can also act like a smartTV and stream contents from YouTube, Netflix etc. directly. Is it possible?

That way one can avoid having to buy another separate streaming device.

Thx!

Display: Optoma UHD51A Projector > Elite Screens R135WH1 ezFrame | 7.2.4 Audio: Onkyo TX-RZ920 9.2ch Network A/V Receiver, M-5010 2ch Amplifier; Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 1000(x10), SuperCube I & 4000 | Sources: PC, DirecTV, Apple 4K, Fire Stick 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Chromecast & Roku Ultras, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro & Nintendo Switch | Remote: Harmony Elite | HDMI: 40' Monoprice DynamicView+4x1 Switch
post #804 of 1829 Old 05-31-2018, 03:54 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
It has a USB media player and EZ Cast for media streaming over your network but no streaming apps like Netflix, Hulu, etc. unfortunately.
Even for that (USB & EZ Cast), if you want to send the audio back to your receiver, you have to use a separate Audio out cable from the projector, or use internal speakers. The HDMI ARC does not work.

Does anybody try any better option or have HDMI ARC working?

Thanks!
post #805 of 1829 Old 05-31-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Just the BluRay 3D .
that was the stoping point for me to go into UHD50, hence i went with Benq and now with UHD51A

Another big reason is that all updates are OTA.

Last edited by macmus; 05-31-2018 at 04:47 PM.
post #806 of 1829 Old 05-31-2018, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks @tucsondave & @spanner on the power issue fix.

On the 4K HDR @ 23.976 issue w/nVidia Shield that I brought up above, there may be a silver lining. Waiting to see if output (fingers crossed) is really 10/12-bit.

post #807 of 1829 Old 05-31-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Even for that (USB & EZ Cast), if you want to send the audio back to your receiver, you have to use a separate Audio out cable from the projector, or use internal speakers. The HDMI ARC does not work.

Does anybody try any better option or have HDMI ARC working?

Thanks!

The digital toslink output works just fine.
td
post #808 of 1829 Old 06-01-2018, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAxeVR View Post

Why not put a simple cap around the lens with a mask (yes, you'd have to adjust it to the specific zoom settings you're using, but only once)? Similar to this: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post55754120

I'd be the first thing I would've tried (I don't have one of these new 0.47" DMD devices yet)

Rob
PT-AE8000U | LG 55C7P | Oppo UDP-203 | Onkyo TX-NR636 | JBL 5.1
post #809 of 1829 Old 06-01-2018, 02:34 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by robl2 View Post
Why not put a simple cap around the lens with a mask (yes, you'd have to adjust it to the specific zoom settings you're using, but only once)? Similar to this: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post55754120

I'd be the first thing I would've tried (I don't have one of these new 0.47" DMD devices yet)
Might have to look into this, as the light border is hitting my back wall and it's a bit annoying. Maybe not as extreme as in the UHZ thread, but some on the sides. That looks like it could be a fire hazard too if you're not careful with the material used.
post #810 of 1829 Old 06-01-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paganmoon View Post
Might have to look into this, as the light border is hitting my back wall and it's a bit annoying. Maybe not as extreme as in the UHZ thread, but some on the sides. That looks like it could be a fire hazard too if you're not careful with the material used.

I have already experimented with this but since I have a 12" black surround on my screen it isn't needed.

I held a piece of cardboard about 6" in front of the lens, while projecting the test grid, to determine the size of the cut out. After cutting the opening, I positioned it so that it barely Affected the image area. Even at 6" from the lens there will be no sharp cutoff. The light border will gradually fade out to the edge. Some kind of wire support would have to be fashioned and attached to the projector to hold it in place. The "lens cap" solution will not work for the thin light border.

Easiest solution is to add 4" of black material outside a permanently mounted screen.

If using a drop down screen then just hang some of those black velvet paintings on the wall. The really good ones, not the cheap ones.

td
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
blu ray , hdcp , hdmi , hdmi 2.0 , projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page