Optoma UHD51A: 4K HDR 3D DLP Projector... w/ Alexa - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 588Likes

post #811 of 1846 Old 06-01-2018, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone have their remote work intermittently? I have used this projector less than 20 hours and now my remote always lights up but only occasionally works. I tried another battery and it seems the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1846 Old 06-02-2018, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by -D1amond- View Post
Anyone have their remote work intermittently? I have used this projector less than 20 hours and now my remote always lights up but only occasionally works. I tried another battery and it seems the same.
I've notice that you need to point the remote at the projector, have not had any instance were it does not work.
post #813 of 1846 Old 06-02-2018, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post
I've got something similar happen switching from Apple 4K TV (HDR) to DirecTV (1080i) except my screen was all black. Projector is connected to a power strip that I had to flip to get it working again. One of my 5 or 6 glitches so far.
Has this happened again?

I've had the power on issue pop up multiple times since the first time it happened. Blue LED comes on but no light comes out of the lens. Maybe the dirty screen will come on eventually but most of the time it doesn't. Completely power cycling seems to be the only way to resolve it. It's happening about 40% of the time I turn on the projector. This is my only real issue so it's kind of disappointing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #814 of 1846 Old 06-03-2018, 12:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 147
So far, this hasn't happened to me again. Also mine hasn't done it at power up yet: just the one time after a routine input/device switch at which time it was the least likely thing to happen I could have thought of for such a simple task.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo151x View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post
I've got something similar happen switching from Apple 4K TV (HDR) to DirecTV (1080i) except my screen was all black. Projector is connected to a power strip that I had to flip to get it working again. One of my 5 or 6 glitches so far.
Has this happened again?

I've had the power on issue pop up multiple times since the first time it happened. Blue LED comes on but no light comes out of the lens. Maybe the dirty screen will come on eventually but most of the time it doesn't. Completely power cycling seems to be the only way to resolve it. It's happening about 40% of the time I turn on the projector. This is my only real issue so it's kind of disappointing.

Display: Optoma UHD51A Projector > Elite Screens R135WH1 ezFrame | 7.2.4 Audio: Onkyo TX-RZ920 9.2ch Network A/V Receiver, M-5010 2ch Amplifier; Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 1000(x10), SuperCube I & 4000 | Sources: PC, DirecTV, Apple 4K, Fire Stick 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Chromecast & Roku Ultras, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro & Nintendo Switch | Remote: Harmony Elite | HDMI: 40' Monoprice DynamicView+4x1 Switch
post #815 of 1846 Old 06-03-2018, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I’m about to pull the trigger on this projector but before I do I was wondering how's the lag with Ps4 Pro and Xbox One X ?
post #816 of 1846 Old 06-03-2018, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 14
has anyone successfully connected to wifi and checked few update ?

I'm connected to wifi but when I click on few update it says no internet
post #817 of 1846 Old 06-03-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post
[*]OTA firmware update ability. Finally, a PJ manufacturer adds this capability in a relatively 'budget' PJ category.
In my case I cannot use this feature.. it complains there is no internet.
post #818 of 1846 Old 06-03-2018, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorturEd View Post
I’m about to pull the trigger on this projector but before I do I was wondering how's the lag with Ps4 Pro and Xbox One X ?
I'm using it with XBOX One S and don't see/hear a noticeable lag. But, I'm not much of a gamer; watched my kids play 'Fortnite' & 'Rise of the Tomb Raider'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmus View Post
Same here when I just tried it. It has worked before. The wi-fi on this PJ is flaky as heck; will try ethernet & report back.

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus
post #819 of 1846 Old 06-03-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Same here when I just tried it. It has worked before. The wi-fi on this PJ is flaky as heck; will try ethernet & report back.
it's clearly connected cause it responds to ping etc.. and i see it gets IP address.

Is wifi build in or on this small dongle they attach ? What is this small dongle btw and where it should be pluged in?
post #820 of 1846 Old 06-03-2018, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The dongle is required for wi-fi. It either plugs into the USB port on the left side (looking into the back) w/"Alexa" noted underneath. It's near the LAN port. That's where I have it... or there's another USB port w/wi-fi icon on the right side (next to the optical/Toslink port).

Are you getting wi-fi w/o the dongle? I'm not.

post #821 of 1846 Old 06-03-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
The dongle is required for wi-fi. It either plugs into the USB port on the left side (looking into the back) w/"Alexa" noted underneath. It's near the LAN port. That's where I have it... or there's another USB port w/wi-fi icon on the right side (next to the optical/Toslink port).

Are you getting wi-fi w/o the dongle? I'm not.
maybe I pluged in the "alexa" usb part. I can connect projector to wifi but when trying to do FW upgrade is says it's not connected to internet.
post #822 of 1846 Old 06-04-2018, 01:44 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorturEd View Post
I asked about input lag earlier in this thread and someone reported the lag to be about 56ms. I think that would be about 1.5 frames at 30fps and 3 frames at 60fps (in addition to whatever lag may be induced before it get to the projector - especially adds up with online gaming). Will be interesting to see if its different with 1080k vs 4k input source as I never got clafirfiction about that when asked.
post #823 of 1846 Old 06-04-2018, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Same for me when checking for firmware update. Does not matter if I am connected to Wifi or when I shut down Wifi and direct Ethernet via the RJ45, all I get is "No Internet" even though both show as connected with good internet address etc.
post #824 of 1846 Old 06-04-2018, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
I would place a bet on this being caused by the Optoma update server being offline.
post #825 of 1846 Old 06-04-2018, 07:52 AM

Received a UHD51A here today, imported from the USA (I'm in the UK). No skill available for Alexa on the UK store yet, but that's to be expected I think

I'm very impressed with the unit, great quality and a hugely noticeable upgrade from my old HD33.

The one massive, glaring omission from this projector... and it seems like such an obvious thing that I never thought to check before purchase.. is the lack of an HDMI Audio Return Channel. Seriously, what is the point of having an on-board media player if there's no HDMI audio return to my receiver?

This effectively renders that feature completely useless (the 5w speakers in the unit itself are pretty poor), which is a shame.

I hope (probably futilely) that this might be able to be addressed by a firmware update.
post #826 of 1846 Old 06-04-2018, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by cslcm View Post
Received a UHD51A here today, imported from the USA (I'm in the UK). No skill available for Alexa on the UK store yet, but that's to be expected I think

I'm very impressed with the unit, great quality and a hugely noticeable upgrade from my old HD33.

The one massive, glaring omission from this projector... and it seems like such an obvious thing that I never thought to check before purchase.. is the lack of an HDMI Audio Return Channel. Seriously, what is the point of having an on-board media player if there's no HDMI audio return to my receiver?

This effectively renders that feature completely useless (the 5w speakers in the unit itself are pretty poor), which is a shame.

I hope (probably futilely) that this might be able to be addressed by a firmware update.
Maybe you missed it, but there is an S/PDIF out. Look on page 14 of your manual--marked as number 9. Your challenge might be to find a cable long enough, though.
post #827 of 1846 Old 06-04-2018, 08:26 AM

I just installed and connected to PC. The default resolution seems to be 4096x2160 which I don't like.
So I changed to 3840x2160 but I get this (left part of desktop showing right. right part showing on left side)
and other times, changing resolution from 4096x2160 to other resolution does not really properly work (projector stays at 4096x2160. only windows desktop resolution changes) unless I change the refresh rate as well.
does anyone else have this issue? I thought it was HDMI cable but i even tested with short HDMI cable that came with the projector but same thing.

also madVR HDR passthrough does not work with 3840x2160. only works on 4096x2160. which is annoying.
post #828 of 1846 Old 06-04-2018, 09:51 AM
Sit

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Maybe you missed it, but there is an S/PDIF out. Look on page 14 of your manual--marked as number 9. Your challenge might be to find a cable long enough, though.
The S/PDIF is what I'm using with a 35' cable I found on Amazon. I haven't tried it with the built-in media player though for I use Plex with my video files.
post #829 of 1846 Old 06-04-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motivr View Post
I just installed and connected to PC. The default resolution seems to be 4096x2160 which I don't like.
So I changed to 3840x2160 but I get this
I have hdmi cable run to my PC. I have have tested it with TK800 and it was good. I did not test it with UHD51A. I will report on test in some time.
post #830 of 1846 Old 06-04-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslcm View Post
I would place a bet on this being caused by the Optoma update server being offline.
We badly need an update with amount of issues there are on this projector. How to update if the update menu is glitched too lol

I must say proprietary OS was much better then this Android garbage.
post #831 of 1846 Old 06-04-2018, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
maybe I pluged in the "alexa" usb part. I can connect projector to wifi but when trying to do FW upgrade is says it's not connected to internet.
I connected the dongle to the wifi usb (not the alexa one). I was able to check the firmware and there was no new version available. It didn't say "no internet" for me. I did have to unplug the unit to turn on Wifi. It did not like it when i plugged the dongle while the projector was ON and tried to turn on the wifi feature. The restart fixed it.
post #832 of 1846 Old 06-04-2018, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
I was wrong - the OTA firmware is for the system OS as well. The only portion that requires sending in is the DMD firmware update, which we shouldn't have any issues with.
@Tuan ,

Can you tell us if Optoma plans to address some/all of the glitches that have been reported here with a firmware update? If so, can you give us a sense of how long it will take for that to happen? A month? Several months? Completely unknown?

Thanks!

Last edited by Ken McPherson; 06-04-2018 at 04:53 PM.
post #833 of 1846 Old 06-04-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken802 View Post
I connected the dongle to the wifi usb (not the alexa one). I was able to check the firmware and there was no new version available. It didn't say "no internet" for me. I did have to unplug the unit to turn on Wifi. It did not like it when i plugged the dongle while the projector was ON and tried to turn on the wifi feature. The restart fixed it.
That is akward, I checked this morning and same no internet, but clearly it received an IP.
I'm network engineer by tread so i contently think this is something projector related then my home network problem.
post #834 of 1846 Old 06-04-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit View Post
The S/PDIF is what I'm using with a 35' cable I found on Amazon. I haven't tried it with the built-in media player though for I use Plex with my video files.
If you have to run an extra cable to get the audio, that is cumbersome. And finding a long Optical cable is not easy, then having to run it through your install...

In addition, I have another question regarding using the WiFi on this projector. Do you have to have to dongles (one for Alexa and one for WiFi separately), or can you just use one for all (Alexa, WiFi, upgrades, and EZCast & multimedia streaming?

The projector datasheet also talks about being able to stream from YouTube etc. using a built-in browser in the projector. Has anyone tried that?

And then if you can't use ARC on HDMI to send the audio back to your receiver, then it is not as good to stream things directly to projector.

I would really appreciate anyone answering these and help me decide between UHD50 & 51A.

Thx!
post #835 of 1846 Old 06-04-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken802 View Post
Do you have to have two dongles (one for Alexa and one for WiFi separately), or can you just use one for all (Alexa, WiFi, upgrades, and EZCast & multimedia streaming? What about just using the ethernet for everything?

The projector datasheet also talks about being able to stream from YouTube etc. using a built-in browser in the projector. Has anyone tried that?
post #836 of 1846 Old 06-04-2018, 02:18 PM
Sit

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I don't have a separate receiver. My Optical cable run is directly to my speakers from UHD51A.

Regarding WI-FI... the 51A comes with 1 dongle, however my understanding of the manul you need two, one for Alexa, which I don't use, and one for wifi display, which I don't use. The user manual covers this in more detail. WiFi should have been built into the projectors hardware IMHO.

The other items you mention I can't help with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushil Gupta View Post
If you have to run an extra cable to get the audio, that is cumbersome. And finding a long Optical cable is not easy, then having to run it through your install...

In addition, I have another question regarding using the WiFi on this projector. Do you have to have to dongles (one for Alexa and one for WiFi separately), or can you just use one for all (Alexa, WiFi, upgrades, and EZCast & multimedia streaming?

And then if you can't use ARC on HDMI to send the audio back to your receiver, then it is not as good to stream things directly to projector.

I would really appreciate anyone answering these and help me decide between UHD50 & 51A.

Thx!
post #837 of 1846 Old 06-04-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
That is akward, I checked this morning and same no internet, but clearly it received an IP.
I'm network engineer by tread so i contently think this is something projector related then my home network problem.
I think so too. The software has some glitches. I double checked again. I went to settings and to my surprise, it says i am connected to my wifi but the wifi setting says "disabled".

I still went ahead and checked the update and I got this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6450.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	637.9 KB
ID:	2411854  
post #838 of 1846 Old 06-04-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushil Gupta View Post
Do you have to have two dongles (one for Alexa and one for WiFi separately), or can you just use one for all (Alexa, WiFi, upgrades, and EZCast & multimedia streaming? What about just using the ethernet for everything?
I just have that one dongle that came with the unit and plugged in the WiFi usb. I tried EZCast and played around with the App but I could not get it to work yet.
post #839 of 1846 Old 06-04-2018, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Wow, @Tuan . This is one big buggy projector.

Plus, where are all the reviews???
The Projector Central review should be out in the next couple of days. But that's it, to my knowledge.
post #840 of 1846 Old 06-04-2018, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tuan, can you please work on replies to questions posted since this PJ's release? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
blu ray , hdcp , hdmi , hdmi 2.0 , projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page