Optoma UHD51A: 4K HDR 3D DLP Projector... w/ Alexa - Page 30 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 606Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #871 of 1905 Old 06-06-2018, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
3DBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 2,474
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McPherson View Post
For the past couple of months, the AVSForum database has been very flakey. I have seen this happen in several other threads. It almost always gets auto-repaired over-night.
I believe I caused it with a post I made, wherein I got back a message about some background process not completing properly by the avsforum app. The message went away after I refreshed the screen. Then today, I and others noticed there were thread posts missing. So I deleted the post thinking it might be the culprit, and sure enough it set everything right. I've had other issues where a message would say that the item could not be found in the database, but refreshing the website set it right.
Wesley Hester likes this.
3DBob is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #872 of 1905 Old 06-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Ken McPherson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 388
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
I believe I caused it with a post I made, wherein I got back a message about some background process not completing properly by the avsforum app. The message went away after I refreshed the screen. Then today, I and others noticed there were thread posts missing. So I deleted the post thinking it might be the culprit, and sure enough it set everything right. I've had other issues where a message would say that the item could not be found in the database, but refreshing the website set it right.
Maybe, but I suspect that was a coincidence. From a month ago:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...threads+broken

On the other hand, maybe someone did what you did in the Vizio threads. But it always seems to auto-correct in a day or so. Who knows?

Last edited by Ken McPherson; 06-06-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Ken McPherson is offline  
post #873 of 1905 Old 06-06-2018, 08:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmusicteez View Post
can you please take pictures or video of the 51a demonstrating black levels. this is my main concern. although pictures do not do justice its something as I (and im sure many others) would love to see, as I have no way of demo'in the unit.
if you still have the tk8000 a direct comparison would be awesome.
Thank you
I already send back TK800.

TK800 had better black levels, but the color saturation was definitely worse then UHD51A. I watched few movies and same scene with my wife "in dark" and she picked UHD51A.
However even small light (top livingroom light) completly destroys color pallet. So to enjoy UHD51A you definetly need light controlled environment or wait until it's dark.

Thor Ragnarok last scene when there is lot of fireworks going out of the ship looks insane on UHD51A even on -17 Color in HDR mode (everything higher overblows reds and blues complexity)
Lighting from Thor looks amazing on UHD51, while on TK800 like just "normal"

On TK800 I could watch movie with open shades, I could not see **** when on same environment I used UHD51A. The brittleness difference is quite dramatic.

I have TV is same room as my drop down 125' screen, so I decided I will use TV during the day anyway so i kept UHD51A.
If you want to use only projector UHD51A is definitely not bright enough to really enjoy color even with a room light. I would keep TK800 if I did not have TV in same room.
thebigchu, xpostal and Archie72 like this.

Last edited by macmus; 06-06-2018 at 09:03 PM.
macmus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #874 of 1905 Old 06-07-2018, 12:31 AM
Member
 
bmoviestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 18
ok need some advice how doy you guys "clean" or dust the lens on these ?
bmoviestar is offline  
post #875 of 1905 Old 06-07-2018, 07:58 AM
Member
 
RedShift76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Fired up my UHD51A for the 1st time yesterday. Very impressed with the image so far. Watched the D-Day landing scene from Saving Private Ryan on Blu Ray then switched over to the UHD/HDR version (Native 4K. Thanks Spielberg!) - the difference is stunning. The light border is terribly annoying but I already have a bunch of SY Fabrics black velvet, 1/4 sheets of plywood and an electric staple gun I was using to make ceiling panels so I'll just have to make a border around the screen also.

I have not been able to access some of the display settings: Brightness, Contrast, Sharpness, Color and Tint all 'greyed out' Anyone have any advice on that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UHD51ASettings.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	2413008  
RedShift76 is offline  
post #876 of 1905 Old 06-07-2018, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wesley Hester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Selma, Alabama, USA
Posts: 2,445
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShift76 View Post
Fired up my UHD51A for the 1st time yesterday. Very impressed with the image so far. Watched the D-Day landing scene from Saving Private Ryan on Blu Ray then switched over to the UHD/HDR version (Native 4K. Thanks Spielberg!) - the difference is stunning. The light border is terribly annoying but I already have a bunch of SY Fabrics black velvet, 1/4 sheets of plywood and an electric staple gun I was using to make ceiling panels so I'll just have to make a border around the screen also.

I have not been able to access some of the display settings: Brightness, Contrast, Sharpness, Color and Tint all 'greyed out' Anyone have any advice on that?

From the media "homepage" you will not have access to picture settings. Just go to a source to adjust the settings.

Display: Optoma UHD51A Projector > Elite Screens R135WH1 ezFrame | 7.2.4 Audio: Onkyo TX-RZ920 9.2ch Network A/V Receiver, M-5010 2ch Amplifier; Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 1000(x10), SuperCube I & 4000 | Sources: PC, DirecTV, Apple 4K, Fire Stick 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Chromecast & Roku Ultras, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro & Nintendo Switch | Remote: Harmony Elite | HDMI: 40' Monoprice DynamicView+4x1 Switch
Wesley Hester is offline  
post #877 of 1905 Old 06-07-2018, 08:14 AM
Senior Member
 
scotty3x3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShift76 View Post
Fired up my UHD51A for the 1st time yesterday. Very impressed with the image so far. Watched the D-Day landing scene from Saving Private Ryan on Blu Ray then switched over to the UHD/HDR version (Native 4K. Thanks Spielberg!) - the difference is stunning. The light border is terribly annoying but I already have a bunch of SY Fabrics black velvet, 1/4 sheets of plywood and an electric staple gun I was using to make ceiling panels so I'll just have to make a border around the screen also.

I have not been able to access some of the display settings: Brightness, Contrast, Sharpness, Color and Tint all 'greyed out' Anyone have any advice on that?
RedShift76... you say the light border is 'incredibly annoying'... this is one of my major concerns about this projector whether some people say it's stupid to worry about it or not. I have a false front wall wrapped in black fabric all the way around the screen, so I'm thinking (from what I've read at least) that I shouldn't have a problem with this. Can you PLEASE take a picture with a movie playing and the light border so we can all see exactly what the complaint is? I've never actually seen this light border and I have asked many people to snap a quick photo of it so everyone can see it. Would you be so kind as to do this for us all please?!?!
scotty3x3 is offline  
post #878 of 1905 Old 06-07-2018, 08:25 AM
Member
 
RedShift76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post
From the media "homepage" you will not have access to picture settings. Just go to a source to adjust the settings.

Looks to be under the 'Calibrate HDTV' section on the Xbox. Thanks!
RedShift76 is offline  
post #879 of 1905 Old 06-07-2018, 08:30 AM
Member
 
RedShift76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty3x3 View Post
RedShift76... you say the light border is 'incredibly annoying'... this is one of my major concerns about this projector whether some people say it's stupid to worry about it or not. I have a false front wall wrapped in black fabric all the way around the screen, so I'm thinking (from what I've read at least) that I shouldn't have a problem with this. Can you PLEASE take a picture with a movie playing and the light border so we can all see exactly what the complaint is? I've never actually seen this light border and I have asked many people to snap a quick photo of it so everyone can see it. Would you be so kind as to do this for us all please?!?!
I'll see if I can capture it tonight. Right now, the projector is sitting on a cooler so not optimal conditions. Hope to get it mounted and fiber HDMI ran this weekend. You shouldn't have a problem though if your front wall is already covered in black fabric.
RedShift76 is offline  
post #880 of 1905 Old 06-07-2018, 08:32 AM
Senior Member
 
scotty3x3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShift76 View Post
I'll see if I can capture it tonight. Right now, the projector is sitting on a cooler so not optimal conditions. Hope to get it mounted and fiber HDMI ran this weekend. You shouldn't have a problem though if you're front wall is already covered in black fabric.
Thanks! I don't think it matters if the projector is hung or not when it comes to the border. I think there are a lot of people that would finally like to see 'something' showing what everyone is talking about with this light border. I'll check back again tonight to see if you've had time to post a pic. Thanks again!
scotty3x3 is offline  
post #881 of 1905 Old 06-07-2018, 08:39 AM
Member
 
RedShift76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty3x3 View Post
Thanks! I don't think it matters if the projector is hung or not when it comes to the border. I think there are a lot of people that would finally like to see 'something' showing what everyone is talking about with this light border. I'll check back again tonight to see if you've had time to post a pic. Thanks again!
This is my current setup with a Benq W1070. With the lights off, the black velvet screen masks up (for 2:40 content), the back wall completely disappears - which is what I've grown used to. I think with kind of setup, the light border is even MORE prominent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Theater.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	2413020  
RedShift76 is offline  
post #882 of 1905 Old 06-07-2018, 08:50 AM
Senior Member
 
scotty3x3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShift76 View Post
This is my current setup with a Benq W1070. With the lights off, the black velvet screen masks up (for 2:40 content), the back wall completely disappears - which is what I've grown used to. I think with kind of setup, the light border is even MORE prominent.
Here is my setup. The wall around the screen is ALL fabric.

Are you saying the light border from the 51A is WORSE in your current setup with the lights off? If so, could it be because the light is hitting the paint which, even though black, has reflective properties?

P.S. Is that a disc of all Dolby Atmos samples?? If so, can you give me the name of it and where you got it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1770.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	2413028  
scotty3x3 is offline  
post #883 of 1905 Old 06-07-2018, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wesley Hester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Selma, Alabama, USA
Posts: 2,445
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I was referring to projector picture settings (with several greyed out) like the ones shown in the picture and not device settings.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShift76 View Post
Looks to be under the 'Calibrate HDTV' section on the Xbox. Thanks!

Display: Optoma UHD51A Projector > Elite Screens R135WH1 ezFrame | 7.2.4 Audio: Onkyo TX-RZ920 9.2ch Network A/V Receiver, M-5010 2ch Amplifier; Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 1000(x10), SuperCube I & 4000 | Sources: PC, DirecTV, Apple 4K, Fire Stick 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Chromecast & Roku Ultras, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro & Nintendo Switch | Remote: Harmony Elite | HDMI: 40' Monoprice DynamicView+4x1 Switch
Wesley Hester is offline  
post #884 of 1905 Old 06-07-2018, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wesley Hester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Selma, Alabama, USA
Posts: 2,445
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I will try to get a few pictures of the light border as well. A Google search shows a few that are really not that great. I'm sure there are plenty in the AVS Forum threads of other 0.47" DMD DLP projectors but I couldn't make a search bring them up. I know this is all niche to say the least but I would have thought a Google image search would have brought up more by now.
At 135", the light border is pretty big. With my screen's 2-1/2" or so black felt border, the light border extends about 3" or so past it all around.
I had family over the weekend before last and we all watched Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle. I believe everyone but my Aunt had seen it already. Anyway, no one mentioned the light border. Just saying we all here live in our own little bubble at times.

Display: Optoma UHD51A Projector > Elite Screens R135WH1 ezFrame | 7.2.4 Audio: Onkyo TX-RZ920 9.2ch Network A/V Receiver, M-5010 2ch Amplifier; Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 1000(x10), SuperCube I & 4000 | Sources: PC, DirecTV, Apple 4K, Fire Stick 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Chromecast & Roku Ultras, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro & Nintendo Switch | Remote: Harmony Elite | HDMI: 40' Monoprice DynamicView+4x1 Switch
Wesley Hester is offline  
post #885 of 1905 Old 06-07-2018, 09:01 AM
Member
 
RedShift76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty3x3 View Post
Here is my setup. The wall around the screen is ALL fabric.

Are you saying the light border from the 51A is WORSE in your current setup with the lights off? If so, could it be because the light is hitting the paint which, even though black, has reflective properties?

P.S. Is that a disc of all Dolby Atmos samples?? If so, can you give me the name of it and where you got it?
Yes, its worse - stands out more. The light border is definitely reflecting off the black paint. With the W1070, paint was good enough since no light was being projected past the screen edge. Not a huge deal since I already have the material to resolve this issue. You will be fine with your setup, that fabric is going to eat up the 'overspill' I guess you could call it.

I got the Dolby Atmos Blu-Ray Demo Disc (Sept 2015) on ebay from some dude in Great Britain for $15.

Awesome theater BTW! Jealous!
RedShift76 is offline  
post #886 of 1905 Old 06-07-2018, 09:12 AM
Member
 
RedShift76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post
I will try to get a few pictures of the light border as well. A Google search shows a few that are really not that great. I'm sure there are plenty in the AVS Forum threads of other 0.47" DMD DLP projectors but I couldn't make a search bring them up. I know this is all niche to say the least but I would have thought a Google image search would have brought up more by now.
At 135", the light border is pretty big. With my screen's 2-1/2" or so black felt border, the light border extends about 3" or so past it all around.
I had family over the weekend before last and we all watched Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle. I believe everyone but my Aunt had seen it already. Anyway, no one mentioned the light border. Just saying we all here live in our own little bubble at times.
Lol, ya - definitely. My fiance came downstairs last night while I was playing around with the new projector. I showed her a clip of the Blu Ray version of Saving Private Ryan on the W1070 vs the UHD/HDR version on the UHD51A. She said "$1650 for that? Huh." and went back upstairs.
soundscape2k and cbcdesign like this.
RedShift76 is offline  
post #887 of 1905 Old 06-07-2018, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wesley Hester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Selma, Alabama, USA
Posts: 2,445
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I hear you. I have to admit too that they didn't say anything about the 4K HDR image quality: either one way or the other. Probably didn't even know it was in 4K. I thought it looked great but to them it was like watching a movie in the theater (just what it should look like) which I guess it a compliment of sorts. If anything, 4K really fills in the image to the point of looking like film projection with no visible pixels even up closer to the screen for most people I guess.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShift76 View Post
Lol, ya - definitely. My fiance came downstairs last night while I was playing around with the new projector. I showed her a clip of the Blu Ray version of Saving Private Ryan on the W1070 vs the UHD/HDR version on the UHD51A. She said "$1650 for that? Huh." and went back upstairs.

Display: Optoma UHD51A Projector > Elite Screens R135WH1 ezFrame | 7.2.4 Audio: Onkyo TX-RZ920 9.2ch Network A/V Receiver, M-5010 2ch Amplifier; Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 1000(x10), SuperCube I & 4000 | Sources: PC, DirecTV, Apple 4K, Fire Stick 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Chromecast & Roku Ultras, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro & Nintendo Switch | Remote: Harmony Elite | HDMI: 40' Monoprice DynamicView+4x1 Switch
Wesley Hester is offline  
post #888 of 1905 Old 06-07-2018, 10:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Ken McPherson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 388
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShift76 View Post
Lol, ya - definitely. My fiance came downstairs last night while I was playing around with the new projector. I showed her a clip of the Blu Ray version of Saving Private Ryan on the W1070 vs the UHD/HDR version on the UHD51A. She said "$1650 for that? Huh." and went back upstairs.
I currently have a W1070. I would be VERY interested to read your comments comparing the UHD51a to the W1070, beyond just 4K resolution. How does it compare to the W1070 in terms of contrast, brightness, colors, 3d, etc. in both 1080p and 4K HDR modes. Given the limitations of the UHD51a's HDR capabilities, how much of a "wow" do you see in terms of color in 4K HDR mode compared to W1070 in 1080P?

I'm excited to finally read a direct comparison! Thanks!
BattleAxeVR likes this.
Ken McPherson is offline  
post #889 of 1905 Old 06-07-2018, 11:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Ken McPherson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 388
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoviestar View Post
ok need some advice how doy you guys "clean" or dust the lens on these ?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_rd_i=3346291
bmoviestar likes this.

Last edited by Ken McPherson; 06-07-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Ken McPherson is offline  
post #890 of 1905 Old 06-07-2018, 01:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Paganmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Watched Netflix 4K stream of House of Cards today, and man, there's still artifacts when the camera pans, like lagging pixels. Could be around someone's head, or a window that gets (vertical) artifacts when the scene pans. Really annoying. Anyone else notice similar problems?
Paganmoon is offline  
post #891 of 1905 Old 06-07-2018, 03:11 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 868
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paganmoon View Post
Watched Netflix 4K stream of House of Cards today, and man, there's still artifacts when the camera pans, like lagging pixels. Could be around someone's head, or a window that gets (vertical) artifacts when the scene pans. Really annoying. Anyone else notice similar problems?
Sounds like haloing, which is a side effect of frame interpolation. Turn it off if it bothers you.
BattleAxeVR is offline  
post #892 of 1905 Old 06-07-2018, 03:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Ken McPherson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 388
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paganmoon View Post
Watched Netflix 4K stream of House of Cards today, and man, there's still artifacts when the camera pans, like lagging pixels. Could be around someone's head, or a window that gets (vertical) artifacts when the scene pans. Really annoying. Anyone else notice similar problems?
Paganmoon, I remember that you also had a W1070. Any comments about how the two projectors compare in terms of contrast, brightness, 3d, HDR "wow" factor, etc? I know about the OS glitches. It's the comparative picture quality that I'm trying to assess.

Thanks!
Ken McPherson is offline  
post #893 of 1905 Old 06-07-2018, 03:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Paganmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAxeVR View Post
Sounds like haloing, which is a side effect of frame interpolation. Turn it off if it bothers you.
Hmm, I thought I already had, but apparently I switched the HDMI from input 1 to input 2 when I redrew my cables, so my settings were reset, so yeah, could be FI. Will try again tomorrow.
I thought it was edge enhancement/sharpness at first, but I still noticed it some with Sharpness set at 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McPherson View Post
Paganmoon, I remember that you also had a W1070. Any comments about how the two projectors compare in terms of contrast, brightness, 3d, HDR "wow" factor, etc? I know about the OS glitches. It's the comparative picture quality that I'm trying to assess.

Thanks!
I haven't done a full calibration pass yet (and I'm not the best at calibration anyway), but first thing I noticed that it was much brighter than my 4500 hour lamp W1070, I was a bit worried about the lightoutput considering I've got it setup in my living room with some light leakage even if I've gotten the blackout curtains drawn, but so far so good, will see how it looks after some tweaking.
Noticed the increase in resolution pretty much straight away just in the PS4 menu, and on House of Cards. Haven't tried any HDR movies yet (iirc House of Cards Season 4 isn't HDR), got 4 UHD Blu-rays arriving tomorrow (hopefully), will test them out tomorrow and give more impressions. (The Matrix, Mad Max:Fury Road, Terminator 2, Blade Runner 2049)
Ken McPherson likes this.
Paganmoon is offline  
post #894 of 1905 Old 06-07-2018, 05:03 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 868
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShift76 View Post
Lol, ya - definitely. My fiance came downstairs last night while I was playing around with the new projector. I showed her a clip of the Blu Ray version of Saving Private Ryan on the W1070 vs the UHD/HDR version on the UHD51A. She said "$1650 for that? Huh." and went back upstairs.
People vs Things.
RedShift76 likes this.
BattleAxeVR is offline  
post #895 of 1905 Old 06-07-2018, 07:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Is there a way for the projector to automatically go directly to an input when it detects a signal right after powering on.
I know that you're directed to the home page every time the PJ is turned on.I always have to navigate for a few steps to get to the input.
urbeenjammin1969 is offline  
post #896 of 1905 Old 06-07-2018, 09:02 PM
Member
 
RedShift76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Best pics I could get of the light border. Tough shot with a point-and-shoot in near darkness...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02084.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	2413272   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02085.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	2413278   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02075.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	2413280  
soundscape2k likes this.

Last edited by RedShift76; 06-07-2018 at 09:08 PM.
RedShift76 is offline  
post #897 of 1905 Old 06-07-2018, 09:55 PM
Senior Member
 
scotty3x3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShift76 View Post
Best pics I could get of the light border. Tough shot with a point-and-shoot in near darkness...
That’s excellent! I agree that with my setup it shouldn’t be a problem at all. Thank you for taking the time do this for us!
RedShift76 likes this.
scotty3x3 is offline  
post #898 of 1905 Old 06-08-2018, 06:18 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShift76 View Post
Yes, its worse - stands out more. The light border is definitely reflecting off the black paint. With the W1070, paint was good enough since no light was being projected past the screen edge. Not a huge deal since I already have the material to resolve this issue. You will be fine with your setup, that fabric is going to eat up the 'overspill' I guess you could call it.

I got the Dolby Atmos Blu-Ray Demo Disc (Sept 2015) on ebay from some dude in Great Britain for $15.

Awesome theater BTW! Jealous!
I previously owned a BenQ HT2550 and returned it because it was the early version that needed the firmware update and I wanted to wait and see what else was coming out. I did not want to try the TK800 because I am using it in a dedicated home theater with full blackout capability.

I was too impatient to wait for the Acer V6820M/ V6820i. And, I definitely did not want to wait until next year (or later) for what I really want which is an affordable upgrade to these .47" DLP projectors that includes a Laser light source and a long throw (2.2 or greater). I want the long throw so that I can place the projector behind my home theater (21'6" throw at 138" diagonal) rather than hanging it from the ceiling. By affordable I mean in the $2000 to $2500 range. I also see nothing wrong with digital keystone--the automatic keystone on the HT2550 worked great! Tuan are you listening?

I then purchased the UHD51a, even though I have no need for the Alexa capability since I am using a receiver with a Nvidia Shield multimedia player, 4K BluRay, and FIOS TV. I would have preferred to purchased the UHD51 without Alexa except that I understand there are no plans to offer that model in the U.S--bad decision Optoma--you need to sell this projector on it's quality/value--not Alexa.

I find the picture quality better on the UHD51a than the HT2550 especially in 3D mode. I can't do a side by side, but the UHD51a definitely seems brighter to me especially in 3D mode. The projector should have an increased range of vertical shift or at least digital keystone. I had to hang my projector a little lower than I wanted too because of the lack of vertical shift.

I have a screen with a 2" black border and the area around the screen is painted a midnight blue. I have never been able to detect the light border that every one is talking about on either the HT2550 or UMD51a projector--even when tried--though I didn't try with a white piece of paper! Maybe it is because I use my projector at max zoom/throw? I am about 16' away from my screen. Has anyone with light border problems tried using max throw?

P.S., my pet peeve with AVS Forum are negative comments by people that have never tried a product! I also do not understand why folks compare a RGBW projector such as the HK800 with RGBRGB projectors. If you are not in an at least slightly darkened room then you should go laser or RGBW. With the UMD51a, I find that it is bright enough to view with some side/rear lights on when I want to see what I am doing and see others in the room--watching TV etc.
Brajesh, zzoo, thebigchu and 1 others like this.
[email protected] is offline  
post #899 of 1905 Old 06-08-2018, 10:31 AM
Member
 
RedShift76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McPherson View Post
I currently have a W1070. I would be VERY interested to read your comments comparing the UHD51a to the W1070, beyond just 4K resolution. How does it compare to the W1070 in terms of contrast, brightness, colors, 3d, etc. in both 1080p and 4K HDR modes. Given the limitations of the UHD51a's HDR capabilities, how much of a "wow" do you see in terms of color in 4K HDR mode compared to W1070 in 1080P?

I'm excited to finally read a direct comparison! Thanks!
I've only had a couple hours with the UHD51A, my W1070 is over 4000 hours and I'm using an Elite 1.0 gain CineGrey screen. So, take my 1st impressions with a grain of salt... From what I've seen, the 51A has much better contrast, brightness, colors and 3D is improved over the W1070. DirecTV and Blu Ray content is brighter, more colorful and sharp. Another perk for W1070 owners: no need to move existing mounts. The 51A is in the exact same location with the same mount as the W1070. Only took me 20 min to swap them out. The image needs to be tuned for each source (hope to work on that this weekend) and the light border is annoying but solvable. I also had to replace my existing 25' HDMI cable for a fiber optic version. Overall, I'd recommend it based on what I've seen to far.
RedShift76 is offline  
post #900 of 1905 Old 06-08-2018, 10:41 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 868
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShift76 View Post
I've only had a couple hours with the UHD51A, my W1070 is over 4000 hours and I'm using an Elite 1.0 gain CineGrey screen. So, take my 1st impressions with a grain of salt... From what I've seen, the 51A has much better contrast, brightness, colors and 3D is improved over the W1070. DirecTV and Blu Ray content is brighter, more colorful and sharp. Another perk for W1070 owners: no need to move existing mounts. The 51A is in the exact same location with the same mount as the W1070. Only took me 20 min to swap them out. The image needs to be tuned for each source (hope to work on that this weekend) and the light border is annoying but solvable. I also had to replace my existing 25' HDMI cable for a fiber optic version. Overall, I'd recommend it based on what I've seen to far.
Can you take a picture of the images of both projectors, side by side? Ideally with the same SDR film on both. A w1070+SDR vs UHD51+HDR comparison would be nice too
BattleAxeVR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
blu ray , hdcp , hdmi , hdmi 2.0 , projector

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off