Optoma UHD51A: 4K HDR 3D DLP Projector... w/ Alexa - Page 33 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 582Likes

post #961 of 1819 Old 06-13-2018, 03:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Decided to go for the Viewsonic PX727-4k. I don't really care about 3D and FI isn't worth 500€ more. I don't even use it for movies and tv shows, only for sports.
The Viewsonic will do the job until a Epson with 4k comes out. I have an ALR screen with negative gain, so lumens are very important to me. I decided for RGBRGB instead of RGBW because color fidelity is important to me. Hopefully, the next Epson will be perfect for me. I just didn't go for the 5040UB because of the resolution, everything else is better than in all of these 4k 1920x1080x4 projectors.

BTW, great review for the Viewsonic in projectorreviews website. Conclusions are about the same as the projector central review. Better than the benq and the optoma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 1819 Old 06-13-2018, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 146
post #963 of 1819 Old 06-13-2018, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 29
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...51A-review.htm
Projectorcentral's review is in.There was a post here stating that they were receiving a second unit.Maybe so since the unit's measurements seem odd.
The one they used for the review seems defective as in simply comparing the brightness in each video mode when comparing the chart from Krane's sample unit.
I just came from a PX747 and can easily say that with dynamic black engaged and brilliant color turned up, the image appears just as bright as the PX747 and definitely not as washed out when ambient light is present.
The blacks aren't washed out as they were with the 747 maybe because the UHD51A has dynamic black feature.The brightness numbers are just way off with projectorcentral.If you look at Krane's numbers,you are looking at around a difference of 300-400 lumens.I can't speak for all but what I have is closer to Krane's perception of brightness.My two previous PJ's were the Acer M550 and Viewsonic PX747.The UHD51A is no sloucher.
Since receiving the UHD51,I have been comparing it to my Samsung 65 JS9500.I have been going back and forth between my bedroom and living room comparing 4K HDR blu rays between the 2 units and am much more blown away by the images projected by the Optoma.The colors are just so much more vibrant and alive.Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk is a must see and feels like the chararcters are about to walk out of the screen.The 3 dimentionality is so real it's mesmerizing.The UHD51A handles the 60fps without a hitch.
The only thing I can truly agree about projectocentral's opinion about the UHD51A is this and it's a direct quote,
"The HDR mode has four settings: Bright, Standard, Film and Detail. All four deliver a compelling picture with excellent contrast, dark blacks, and a good sense of three dimensionality. The main difference between them is that at each step from Bright to Standard to Film the image gets darker overall and shows less shadow detail separation."
The 3 dimentionality is insane even compared to the Samsung JS9500 and with a Stewart Firehawk grey screen, the blacks are truly dark and inky at times.It even made Grease look very engaging and enjoyable.
I went and grabbed some 4K blu rays that unanimously got fairly poor reviews and sampled them and the UHD51A brought life to these so called "poor 4K releases"
One example is the Resident Evil Final Chapter.Many reviews comment on how flat and bland the palette is for the movie.With the Optoma, I was clearly enjoying this film for the very first time now.The blacks were deep and the image was "popping of the screen.Milla was "alive again lol.When I sampled this same movie with the JS9500,M550 and PX-747,they all unanimously produced failry unexciting results.The noise for the UHD51A is also very pleasing with showing the least between the 4 "4k monitor,projectors that I've had.The blu ray upconvert is also the best I've seen obviously with the help Panasonic UB900.I always go to "The Force Awakens" to test the quality of the device.It can range to being very noisy to being virtually free depending of what you have and once again with the UHD51,Rey has never looke better upconverted to 4K.As mentioned with the 4 settings on the HDR mode.I do tend to use different gamms to get the most out of the video.My standard setting is 2.0 because of the grey screen I have.I also use "film" and "video" for the other gamma settings."The Shape of Water comes to life by using the "video" gamma and adds an extra pop to the image.Darker movies also benefit including "Underworld Blood Wars" and the blacks stay deep using this gamma.

Last edited by urbeenjammin1969; 06-13-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #964 of 1819 Old 06-13-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
Been out preparing and setting up for InfoComm - will be back in the office next week to read through everything.
@Tuan ,

Now that you're back in the office, can you tell us if Optoma plans to address some/all of the glitches that have been reported here with a firmware update? If so, can you give us a sense of how long it will take for that to happen? A month? Several months? Completely unknown?

Thanks!
post #965 of 1819 Old 06-13-2018, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Send a message via Skype™ to Tuan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McPherson View Post
@Tuan ,

Now that you're back in the office, can you tell us if Optoma plans to address some/all of the glitches that have been reported here with a firmware update? If so, can you give us a sense of how long it will take for that to happen? A month? Several months? Completely unknown?

Thanks!
You'll see a firmware update announcement very soon.
post #966 of 1819 Old 06-13-2018, 10:07 AM

There's been a lot of discussion regarding the "light border for these .47 chips.
I feel that it's unacceptable especially for the pure movie watching either in a dedicated home theater or simply having all of the lights turned off.The experience has to be pure with no distractions when enjoying a film.
Before rectifying this situation, I went back and forth as far as what to get to absorb the extra lighting. I wasn't too crazy about adhering something to the wall that could do potential damage in the future just in case if I decide to remove it. Finally got something from Amazon that actually invisibly blended with the Stewart screen and it's velvet border. As an experiment, I thought about simply using thumb tacks to make this "felt border tape" stick to the wall since I read reviews that the adhesion wears of after awhile and fell off the wall and guess what...the thumb tacks worked. I simply painted it black to blend with the felt and the felt blended seamlessly with the velvet border of the Stewart screen. Just simply space out the tacks accordingly and it stays flush against the wall.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If anybody needs an HDMI cable of up to 50ft, Monoprice has the cable. It Supports video resolutions up to [email protected] 4:4:4 with HDR and 18gbps.
I have used this for 3 projectors already:Acer M550, Viewsonic PX-747 and the Optoma UHD51A

post #967 of 1819 Old 06-13-2018, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Pj central review published today. The short version is they like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #968 of 1819 Old 06-13-2018, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
You'll see a firmware update announcement very soon.
really looking forward to this information Hoping you do FW globally and not US only.
post #969 of 1819 Old 06-13-2018, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 50
So far here is what I am finding about the 51a.

All Image settings can be memorized, not just the "User."
Image settings can be customized separately for 1080 and UHD. Using the Spears & Munsil or Disney WOW provides for easy calibration in both modes if your 4K Bluray can be switched to 1080.

On mine "Gamma" is grayed out for "User" mode.

Does Optoma have a job opening for someone to write owner's manuals?

Anybody know what "HDMI EQ" is for?

td
post #970 of 1819 Old 06-13-2018, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
That review was pretty useless IMNSHO. What did they do just plug it in and take some readings? He complains about the Cinema mode then decides to make adjustments. Is this standard procedure for reviewers to not adjust brightness, contrast, color, and tint before drawing conclusions? No mention of menus or other operational features.

I also have a problem with these outfits that show an MSRP that, as far as I know, Optoma has never published.
td
Brajesh likes this.

Last edited by tucsondave; 06-13-2018 at 03:12 PM.
post #971 of 1819 Old 06-13-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsondave View Post
So far here is what I am finding about the 51a.

All Image settings can be memorized, not just the "User."
Image settings can be customized separately for 1080 and UHD. Using the Spears & Munsil or Disney WOW provides for easy calibration in both modes if your 4K Bluray can be switched to 1080.

On mine "Gamma" is grayed out for "User" mode.

Does Optoma have a job opening for someone to write owner's manuals?

Anybody know what "HDMI EQ" is for?

td
I'm able to get a memory video setting for 4K, regular Blu Ray and Directv...but only one for each.No complaints here since I'm able to use a couple of video settings with the UB900 as the Blu ray player.I just have to change the gamma setting for 4K depending on the movie.That's basically the only adjustment needed to be made besides the rest of the picture settings.
Frame interpolation is inconsistent with satellite.Depends on the programming.Haven't tried 3D but there's where the frame interpolation is mostly needed.
post #972 of 1819 Old 06-14-2018, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I'm not actually convinced that this projector can display a 4k image at all, even considering the XPR pixel-shifting technology and its limitations.

I created a 3840x2160 test card image which contained a one-pixel black/white checkerboard pattern in the top left (attached).

I was not expecting to see a clearly defined black/white pattern on the projected image, due to the pixel overlap inherent to the XPR technology. But I was expecting to see at least some distinction.

Instead, the result was a perfectly uniform grey box. This tells me that the projector simply cannot display distinct pixels at 4k, shifted or otherwise.

My screen is 265cm x 150cm, which means that each pixel should be roughly 0.7x0.7mm, which should be easily discernible to the naked eye. Still, I considered that the rapid switching of the pixel shifting technology might be causing the brain to perceive it as a single grey image, so I filmed the display with a 120fps camera zoomed in on a section of the screen. I still could not see any sign of detail.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, or maybe I am fundamentally misunderstanding something, but right now, I am feeling a little deceived by this unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fh9laz.png
Views:	100
Size:	617.7 KB
ID:	2415904  
BattleAxeVR likes this.
post #973 of 1819 Old 06-14-2018, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked: 577
How are you feeding the image into the projector. Check the info that it is being input at 4k. It looks like it is being upscaled, which would cause it to go grey.
post #974 of 1819 Old 06-14-2018, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Next firmware is adding Google Assistant support, as well as a few fixes. Please install when its available and let me know if some of the bugs experienced are still present.

Press release
post #975 of 1819 Old 06-14-2018, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Send a message via Skype™ to Sonisame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonisame View Post
Hooked up UHD51A last night replacing Mits HC3800. For most part things worked as far as mounting was concerned, I think I can move the mount it back 2 inches as this one has a slightly larger footprint compared to hc3800. I am repainting my screen anyways so it will be perfect to line up everything again.

I have 4k 60 hz issue with my existing high speed cables(3 yrs or so old) and Sony AVR STR-DN 1080. Will be replacing them all with amazon basics high speed cables. PC(using Nvidia 1060TI) is defaulting to 1080p native resolution and HDR is messed up(partially to blame windows-10). Samsung UHD bluray player had no issues playing 4k 24HZ and HDR.

Initial impressions: it is bright, throws a excellent 4K image(when it works) and has a solid look and feel to it. Some minor issues as everyone else has reported of slow-sync on change of sources or resolution, a bit buggy OS, over-saturated RED(but I kind of like it) and lack of HDMI ARC.

I will be testing more features tonight after I calibrate it a bit and charge my 3D glasses to test out 3D. Will be hooking up wifi to check online updates etc, for now OS is showing firmware version CO-5.
Tested a bit more
1) 3D works, not too dark. Its a pain to change the resolution @ source from 4K to 1080p(20sec+), play a file, wait for projector to sync(20sec+), turn 3D on via projector menu. Whole chain adds like a minute of delay.
2) Cant get anything more than 8 bit 4:2:0 via pc, HDR worked using some demo clips and netflix.
3) Mainly due to sync issues with resolution(hopefully new HDMI cables will fix it), I had to disconnect power, turn other equipment off/on to display anything again couple of times.
4) Connected Ethernet, a IP address assigned, but that's about it; I think it needs wireless for updates etc.

Mits HC3800 with darbee was definitely better from what I see for 1080p (or 720p/1080i) media using this projector.

Native 4K material definitely shines on this, 3D is better than my benq, but benq being native 1080, made life a bit easy to display 3D without going through all this pain of switching resolution delays.

Will continue with a bit more testing over the next couple of days.
zzoo likes this.
post #976 of 1819 Old 06-14-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonisame View Post
4) Connected Ethernet, a IP address assigned, but that's about it; I think it needs wireless for updates etc.

*Sigh* well that would suck...

In other news, switched my cable box to [email protected] watching the world cup and no longer getting the blurring I had on [email protected]
post #977 of 1819 Old 06-14-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Next firmware is adding Google Assistant support, as well as a few fixes. Please install when its available and let me know if some of the bugs experienced are still present.

Press release
Where do we find instructions detailing how to do a firmware update? There is nothing in the manual. Will it work via ethernet? Do you have to move the dongle from Alexa port to wireless port in order for it to work?

We'll answer your questions if you answer ours.
post #978 of 1819 Old 06-14-2018, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Where do we find instructions detailing how to do a firmware update? There is nothing in the manual. Will it work via ethernet? Do you have to move the dongle from Alexa port to wireless port in order for it to work?

We'll answer your questions if you answer ours.
You should get an OTA update notification when its released. Should be fine over Ethernet, let me double check.
post #979 of 1819 Old 06-14-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
You should get an OTA update notification when its released. Should be fine over Ethernet, let me double check.
Will it work with the Alexa port or do we need to switch to the other wireless port? Thanks!
post #980 of 1819 Old 06-14-2018, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Will it work with the Alexa port or do we need to switch to the other wireless port? Thanks!
I was wrong - OTA only works using the other Wi-Fi USB port, not the Alexa one or Ethernet. We expect the OTA to go out starting next Wednesday. We'll also post the update package on our website.

I'll post an update when its available. I'm sorry for the difficult process, but there's nothing I can do about it :\.
post #981 of 1819 Old 06-14-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I was wrong - OTA only works using the other Wi-Fi USB port, not the Alexa one or Ethernet. We expect the OTA to go out starting next Wednesday. We'll also post the update package on our website.

I'll post an update when its available. I'm sorry for the difficult process, but there's nothing I can do about it :\.
Understood. I'm just looking for accurate info, whatever that may be.

My UHD51A arrived yesterday. So far, my observations are the same as everyone else's, both the good and the bad. But it's definitely a keeper; blows my old W1070 out of the water.
post #982 of 1819 Old 06-14-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:

I know Euro isn't your region, but do you know anything about FW for the UHD51? Since the update is being made available on your website, I'm assuming there's a possibility of doing a USB update as well? (Euro UHD51's do not come with Wifi-dongle)
post #983 of 1819 Old 06-14-2018, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paganmoon View Post
I know Euro isn't your region, but do you know anything about FW for the UHD51? Since the update is being made available on your website, I'm assuming there's a possibility of doing a USB update as well? (Euro UHD51's do not come with Wifi-dongle)
I don't know anything about the UHD51, as we don't carry it in the US. The UHD51A has a daughter board with the Alexa functions that the regular UHD51 does not have.
post #984 of 1819 Old 06-14-2018, 11:56 AM

Oh, sounds like I might be **** out of luck then. I've just assumed the UHD51 was pretty much the exact same device as the UHD51A, minus Alexa for regional reasons.

Well... crap.
post #985 of 1819 Old 06-14-2018, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbeenjammin1969 View Post
If anybody needs an HDMI cable of up to 50ft, Monoprice has the cable. It Supports video resolutions up to [email protected] 4:4:4 with HDR and 18gbps.
I have used this for 3 projectors already:Acer M550, Viewsonic PX-747 and the Optoma UHD51A

Thanks, ordered 35' version from MonoPrice. Hopefully resolves light sparklies I'm getting w/Zidoo X9S and 12-bit 4:4:4.
urbeenjammin1969 likes this.

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus
post #986 of 1819 Old 06-14-2018, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thanks to ProjectorCentral and all of you who have been posting here in this thread. I "pulled the trigger" and ordered a UHD51A for my basement home theater to replace a malfunctioning Acer H6502BD that was no longer able to show 3D (color-wheel?) Regardless, its kinda' cheap junk and I needed something I can rely on and enjoy. 4K was a highly desired feature and although its not true native 4K, it's effective 4K and it's results that matter and I really am spending more than I should have anyway. My setup is HTPC based and so I will get the "joy" of making it work with my system, 4K resolution, and HDR being the big challenge, along with getting it to make vertically stacked 3D in standard format so I can get true 1080p 3D displayed. Still out of the box I'll have a quieter unit with a much better picture with easy SideBySide 3D and then I can draw out the other great features as I tweak my setup. This will be fun. :-)

Thanks All!!🦊
urbeenjammin1969 likes this.

I'm not easily distracted. I'm just really good at... LOOK!! A CHICKEN!!
post #987 of 1819 Old 06-14-2018, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
After reading this forum every day for the past 7-8 weeks I just ordered the UHD51, lets see how it is.

Coming from the W1070 I really am excited
post #988 of 1819 Old 06-14-2018, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beryllium30 View Post
After reading this forum every day for the past 7-8 weeks I just ordered the UHD51, lets see how it is.

Coming from the W1070 I really am excited

Hi, I also have the W1070 .. please let us know, if you have the possibility, a direct comparison between the two projectors .. especially about the contrast, quality of the black, etc. etc.
Thanks

VPR: Optoma UHD51, schermo: Elite Screens Saker Tab-Tension 135". TV: Sony KD 65" XD8599. CAM: TivùSat GoldHD 4k. Sinto AV: Pioneer SC-LX59, SORGENTI: Pioneer BDP450, Xbox One X, MySkyHD. DIFFUSORI: B&W CDM7se (front), B&W HTM7 (centrale), Canton GLE 416.2 (surr.), Canton GLE 416 (surr. back), Canton GLE 416 (Atmos), SVS PB1000 (sub). Remote: Logitech Harmony Elite
post #989 of 1819 Old 06-15-2018, 01:05 AM

Liked: 0
Hello everyone,

I have an optoma uhd51 and a couple of doubts.

The first is if in the European version that does not bring the wifi dongle, we can insert a wifi usb from another brand?

The second question is if you have any information about a filter sold in a German store and significantly improves the contrast.

Thanks and regards.
post #990 of 1819 Old 06-15-2018, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
Hi, I also have the W1070 .. please let us know, if you have the possibility, a direct comparison between the two projectors .. especially about the contrast, quality of the black, etc. etc.
Thanks
Sadly I can't compare them directly as I moved and the W1070 is still at the old place. The comparision will currently be in a unoptimized state as I will have to think about a screen solution, but will def give you a short summary of what I think.
Ezio likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
blu ray , hdcp , hdmi , hdmi 2.0 , projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page