Optoma UHD51A: 4K HDR 3D DLP Projector... w/ Alexa - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 582Likes

post #991 of 1816 Old 06-15-2018, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by cslcm View Post
I'm not actually convinced that this projector can display a 4k image at all, even considering the XPR pixel-shifting technology and its limitations.

I created a 3840x2160 test card image which contained a one-pixel black/white checkerboard pattern in the top left (attached).

I was not expecting to see a clearly defined black/white pattern on the projected image, due to the pixel overlap inherent to the XPR technology. But I was expecting to see at least some distinction.

Instead, the result was a perfectly uniform grey box. This tells me that the projector simply cannot display distinct pixels at 4k, shifted or otherwise.

My screen is 265cm x 150cm, which means that each pixel should be roughly 0.7x0.7mm, which should be easily discernible to the naked eye. Still, I considered that the rapid switching of the pixel shifting technology might be causing the brain to perceive it as a single grey image, so I filmed the display with a 120fps camera zoomed in on a section of the screen. I still could not see any sign of detail.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, or maybe I am fundamentally misunderstanding something, but right now, I am feeling a little deceived by this unit.
These projectors run at 240hz so you would need a much faster camera than 120 fps (say, 480 or 960 fps) to see individual sub-frames clearly.

Also, if you get your hands on a cell phone or 960 fps camera and take snaps again, (please do!), make sure you're running it in RGB mode from a PC, not YCbCr 4:2:2 (so in 8-bit SDR RGB instead of HDR10). 4:2:2 isn't 1:1 pixel mapping so that introduces blur too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1816 Old 06-15-2018, 06:09 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
Hi, I also have the W1070 .. please let us know, if you have the possibility, a direct comparison between the two projectors .. especially about the contrast, quality of the black, etc. etc.
Thanks
There are quite a few here who've gone from the W1070 to this, and most (me included) think the picture quality overall, and the brightness are better than the W1070. I'm feeling more depth in the same 1080p sources I used with the W1070. Though word of warning, it does have quite a few bugs and glitches with the image, depending on source, resolution, refreshrate and settings you use. and if you're in Europe, there might not be a simple way to do firmware updates, as there is with the UHD51A in the US.
zzoo and Ezio like this.
post #993 of 1816 Old 06-15-2018, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked: 573
For those interested, I posted a comparison of the Benq TK800 4k resolution compared to the Optoma UHD50, which should also be the same result for the Benq HT2550 and the Optoma 51A. The results are surprising. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post56343154
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #994 of 1816 Old 06-15-2018, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Interesting. Some comparisons give the optoma as the sharper one. Could this be due to lens manufacturing inconsticencies or maybe because of diffrent sharpness sweetspots at certain zoom settings...for example the tk800 might be sharper at the long end and uhd sharper at the long end or in the middle.
post #995 of 1816 Old 06-15-2018, 10:28 AM

So finally dug up my Digital Video Essentials HD Basics Blu-ray and am going to calibrate a bit. How have other people with the UHD51/A gotten along with calibration?

@Tuan you wouldn't happen to have a counterpart in Europe you could pass on our (my) questions regarding the UHD51 to?
post #996 of 1816 Old 06-15-2018, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
Hi, I also have the W1070 .. please let us know, if you have the possibility, a direct comparison between the two projectors .. especially about the contrast, quality of the black, etc. etc.
Thanks
I just replaced my w1070 with UHD51a.

My w1070 authentic replacement bulb had about 1000 hours on it. I have a 110" 1.0 high contrast grey screen.

While I don't have the equipment to provide metrics, and just from personal observation, there is no category in which the UHD51a is a downgrade from the w1070. Contrast, blacks, are at least as good, and to my eye, better. Particularly color, which is much deeper and more realistic when compared to w1070.

The UHD51a is noticeably brighter than w1070, including 3D. IMO, 3D is far more adjustable and immersive than with w1070; a big step up.

As others have suggested, 4K HDR is where the UHD51a really shines. There is no comparison with w1070, it's in a completely different league.

I use a Roku Ultra, and 4K HDR on the UHD51a has more than met my expectations in terms of resolution, color, brightness, contrast, etc. Netflix, Prime, Plex are jaw-dropping. Even lowly non-4K Hulu seems better. So far, I have only been able to get my Roku to work 8 bit 4:2:2 at 2160p @60 HDR. I believe Wesley said Roku would work with 10 bit 4:2:0, but I can't figure out how to make that happen and I don't know if the difference would be noticeable. (Westly, what Roku settings did you use to get the projector to work at !0-bit 4:2:0 2160p @60 HDR? When I tried 4:2:0 on Roku, UHD51a wouldn't recognize the signal.) I can only imagine what the picture will look like when someone releases a streaming device that offers all my required services (Netflix, Prime, Hulu, and Plex) at 12-bit 4:2:0 at 2160p @60 HDR!

The w1070 is far more plug-n-play than the UHD51a. There are many settings on the UHD51a that just don't exist on the w1070, so expect to go through a much greater learning curve. As others have mentioned, there are still a number of OS glitches with the UHD51a, so expect to encounter frustrations along the way.

Regarding Echo, once you go through the ridiculously convoluted setup process (when compared to other Echo devices), it works just fine, with the exception of turning on the projector. I have the power settings exactly as Optoma indicated, but I always get, "sorry, projector is not responding" when I try to use Echo to turn the UHD51a on. Once I turn it on via remote, all other Echo commands work as expected.

If you hang the UHD51a from your existing w1070 ceiling mount, the image will be several inches smaller than w1070. I will have to move my mount back about 3-4 inches to get it to fill my existing 110" inch screen. No other ceiling mount adjustments were necessary to get perfect alignment. I did use the UHD51a vertical shift to get it to fit the screen. Sometimes the light border bothers me, mostly, I forget about it. But I will install a velvet covered border to eliminate the issue.
Paganmoon and Ezio like this.

Last edited by Ken McPherson; 06-15-2018 at 01:18 PM.
post #997 of 1816 Old 06-15-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McPherson View Post
If you hang the UHD51a from your existing w1070 ceiling mount, the image will be several inches smaller than w1070. I will have to move my mount back about 3-4 inches to get it to fill my existing 110" inch screen. No other ceiling mount adjustments were necessary to get perfect alignment. I did use the UHD51a vertical shift to get it to fit the screen. Sometimes the light border bothers me, mostly, I forget about it. But I will install a velvet covered border to eliminate the issue.
The W1070 has slightly shorter throw ratio compared to the UHD51, so if you're at the lowest end in the throw for the W1070, I can see you having to move the mount. As my mount was already about 320cm from the screen, I could throw a 117" picture without moving it for the UHD51.

The light border is easy to forget about, but yeah, sometimes it just pops out, depending on how dark the image on the screen is (or specially if it's pitch black).

Looking forward to seeing what you make of your settings. We probably have very different rooms, and I've got a 0.8 gain high contrast screen, so can't really compare, but still, looking forward to comparing.
post #998 of 1816 Old 06-15-2018, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andjar View Post
Interesting. Some comparisons give the optoma as the sharper one. Could this be due to lens manufacturing inconsticencies or maybe because of diffrent sharpness sweetspots at certain zoom settings...for example the tk800 might be sharper at the long end and uhd sharper at the long end or in the middle.
Not a lens issue, but a resolution issue. The Optoma can appear sharper because the pixels can be focused on and seen, whereas the TK800 can't see them. But, if you look at the resolution detail, the Benq resolves more detail because the Optoma has "chunky pixels", which somehow are bigger than the Benq pixels. If you look at the icon-closeups I've included below, you will see the 3 colors soaring up in the middle of the icon (red arrow). Note they are 3 chunky colors on the Optoma, but more defined on the TK800. Benq has done some refinement to their XPR function. Is the average person going to notice, probably not, but I have a 160" screen, so it becomes more noticeable based on screen size. Don't confuse sharpness with resolution is what I'm saying.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UHD50-upclose.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	2416456   Click image for larger version

Name:	TK800-Nasa-Icon-4.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	730.6 KB
ID:	2416458  
sage11x and jaxy like this.
post #999 of 1816 Old 06-15-2018, 11:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Will this projector work for a Constant Image Height (CIH) setup? I'm not sure if the zoom capability and vertical lens shift enough to do it.
post #1000 of 1816 Old 06-16-2018, 02:17 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Not a lens issue, but a resolution issue. The Optoma can appear sharper because the pixels can be focused on and seen, whereas the TK800 can't see them. But, if you look at the resolution detail, the Benq resolves more detail because the Optoma has "chunky pixels", which somehow are bigger than the Benq pixels. If you look at the icon-closeups I've included below, you will see the 3 colors soaring up in the middle of the icon (red arrow). Note they are 3 chunky colors on the Optoma, but more defined on the TK800. Benq has done some refinement to their XPR function. Is the average person going to notice, probably not, but I have a 160" screen, so it becomes more noticeable based on screen size. Don't confuse sharpness with resolution is what I'm saying.

This has thrown a spanner in the works for me! I was looking at getting the 51 as I want 4k but I'm a big 3D nut too. I do like pure motion on my HD33 so I would miss it on the Benq's. Another reason I like the Optoma is the throw ratio - I can get a 150" screen at my 14' throw distance instead of my 120" I'm limited to with the Benq's.

On your full frame stills of the the space station its obvious the Benq is much sharper than the Optoma to the point the 51 looks blurred. Totally the opposite conclusion on TVS Pro's YouTube tests. Could it be a sharpness setting on the 800 as there looks to be some slight ringing at parts.

Dave Harper likes this.
post #1001 of 1816 Old 06-16-2018, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman512 View Post
This has thrown a spanner in the works for me! I was looking at getting the 51 as I want 4k but I'm a big 3D nut too. I do like pure motion on my HD33 so I would miss it on the Benq's. Another reason I like the Optoma is the throw ratio - I can get a 150" screen at my 14' throw distance instead of my 120" I'm limited to with the Benq's.

On your full frame stills of the the space station its obvious the Benq is much sharper than the Optoma to the point the 51 looks blurred. Totally the opposite conclusion on TVS Pro's YouTube tests. Could it be a sharpness setting on the 800 as there looks to be some slight ringing at parts.
The sharpness was left at the factory set, and I'm not sure what that was. I did see the video and had the same impression that the Optoma was sharper with more apparent definition, but when I compared myself, I found that the "sharpness" on the Optoma caused by the pixels giving what appeared to be better definition was actually an illusion. Frankly some like pixel sharpness over resolution because when viewed more than 10 feet from a screen, the detail gets lost in the sharpness and you think you are seeing more detail, but you are not. I've done a test with friends showing them a photo in high resolution and then in a pixel-sharpened low resolution, and many liked the low resolution/sharpened version better. Optoma might have discovered this in how they implemented their XPR to create a more defined pixel at the expense of resolution. I measured 4 "pixels" on the Optoma, then switched over to 1080p and measured one pixel, and they do not match. The 4 "pixels" together were about 1/3 bigger than one 1080p pixel, so something is going on their in the overlap of pixels that doesn't quite match the 4 to 1 ratio that a 4K (8 meg) screen must have over a 1080p (2 meg) screen.

Don't be deterred by my examples. If you like Frame Interpolation, then the Optoma is going to be better for you. And as for 3D, the Benq isn't the best choice in my opinion.
guitarman512 likes this.
post #1002 of 1816 Old 06-16-2018, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
....Totally the opposite conclusion on TVS Pro's YouTube tests. Could it be a sharpness setting on the 800 as there looks to be some slight ringing at parts.

https://youtu.be/sQU_DGgXYDs

From the pics it looks like the BenQ would be a clear winner, but the youtube close up on the windows desktop icons shows just the opposite.

Can there really be that much variation from unit to unit or is there something else going on....

I'm hoping the experts chime in.
guitarman512 likes this.
post #1003 of 1816 Old 06-16-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsaustin View Post
From the pics it looks like the BenQ would be a clear winner, but the youtube close up on the windows desktop icons shows just the opposite.

Can there really be that much variation from unit to unit or is there something else going on....

Could be due to different sources and settings on the projectors as well.
post #1004 of 1816 Old 06-16-2018, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Send a message via Skype™ to Sonisame
Took some photos with same ambient light on for my setup using UHD51A playing youtube 4K clips. Will be adding more of HDR clips.

I painted first coat last night(Rustoleum Silver Screen/Chalk black) and have not completed the black border or removed masking tapes.

Colors are as beautiful as they can get. Contrast! wow

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1T2...Rj47qVfUq-q7To
urbeenjammin1969 likes this.

Last edited by Sonisame; 06-18-2018 at 11:24 AM.
post #1005 of 1816 Old 06-16-2018, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 2726 Post(s)
Liked: 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsaustin View Post

I’m glad 3DBob got this discussion going again.

When that video was first linked I tried to speak up about what I was seeing. One of the— I don’t want to call it a complaint, let’s say one of the comments— about the DLP 4K XPR technology (pixels shifting) is that it has a fair degree of pixel overlap. This has been the case with both the .66 and .47 DMDs. At least, it has until now. I was quite surprised to see that video showing clearly defined pixels on the UHD51. In theory that shouldn’t be possible with the XPR design but somehow Optoma had figured it out. Unfortunately, it’s clear in that video that something was ailing the BenQ. They mentioned that they were having a hard time focusing the projector and that seems clear in the close up shots.

Bob’s shots of the TK800 match those I’ve taken of both the TK800 and HT2550. Notice there is no pixel gap in these shots. While the elimination of pixel gap makes for a supremely sharp and smooth image there was a legitimate discussion in the ‘what constitutes 4k’ thread that this could result in some, albeit subtle, loss of detail. Notice the next shot which is a single pixel stripe pattern.

What we need is someone who owns this projector to take close up shots. I can provide some test patterns so we can see how the Optoma appears at the pixel level if someone would like to volunteer.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #1006 of 1816 Old 06-16-2018, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
So I ended up pulling the trigger on the Optoma UHD51A and I couldn't be happier. The PQ is amazing and it's quiet as can be. I haven't even fine tuned or calibrated it yet, but we were blown away by the PQ when watching Lost in Space in 4K HDR off the Nvidia Shield.
post #1007 of 1816 Old 06-16-2018, 10:57 AM

Won't be really scientific test anyway, considering people might have slightly different focus levels, different texture on the screen can effect it as well, and the capture device.

Edit: I'll do some closeup shots if you provide some patterns though. Won't be from the PC, as I don't have a high speed cable going from the PC to my receiver, but will have the PS4Pro as source, and show the patterns from there.

Last edited by Paganmoon; 06-16-2018 at 11:10 AM.
post #1008 of 1816 Old 06-16-2018, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 50
What kind of test patterns? I will volunteer also. Might be interesting to see several examples all using the same patterns. I can play samples from an SD card at 1080 and UHD from my UB900 Bluray. I also have some screen material samples so I can find one with no texture.

td
urbeenjammin1969 likes this.
post #1009 of 1816 Old 06-16-2018, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know input lag has been mentioned few times in this thread but as anyone actually measured it now that its been out a few weeks? Projector Central is saying 68-70ms but others have mentioned lower around 52ms. While 18ms isn't much difference - it adds up especially with online gaming and other things down the chain.

Does sending a native(ish) 4k image, HDR, 1080p image change the input lag?

Last edited by Guru_Karma; 06-16-2018 at 10:48 PM.
post #1010 of 1816 Old 06-17-2018, 07:35 AM

Don't really have a setup to test out input lag, (you need 2 screens, and one should be a CRT). I could tell though, with HDR on (inFamous: Second Son) there was noticeable input lag. so I'll probably stay away from HDR on games.

Noticed another thing today, after sitting and calibrating for an hour or so. I had set the projector to YUV color space for the Cinema preset, as RGB would cut out blacker than black. So calibrated and was satisfied with the results. Watched a movie in HDR, really good picture overall. Then Switched to the PS4Pro, set the preset to Game, and the color was way off. Apparently the Color space isn't coupled with the image presets, so I had to change it manually back to Auto (and the image would set it to RGB).

Having the color space to Auto is probably the way to go, but at least during calibration, it wasn't optimal for correct brightness and contrast.
Also as some others have pointed out, it's a bit biased towards red, so had to lower that a bit.

This was done with a EuroScreen Greylight 0.8 gain high contrast screen. Biggest changes to get a good picture was setting brightness to -11 and contrast to around 20.

Another note on HDR, it seems it doesn't always turn on with the source, at least not with the Sony UBP-X700, sometimes it helps to just double tapp the "enter" button on the remote to resync, othertimes, you need to go into dynamic range settings and set it form Auto to HDR with an HDR source. Had a really dark picture to begin with with HDR sources, and that fixed it.
post #1011 of 1816 Old 06-17-2018, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonisame View Post
Took some photos with same ambient light on for mysetp using UHD51A playing youtube 4K clips. Will be adding more of HDR clips.

I painted first coat last night(Rustoleum Silver Screen/Chalk black) and have not completed the black border or removed masking tapes.

Colors are as beautiful as they can get. Contrast! wow

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1T2...Rj47qVfUq-q7To
Nice pics...but they do confirm projectorcentral's finding that the brightness uniformity is rather poor.
post #1012 of 1816 Old 06-17-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistawankaz View Post
Also with this crazy ass coil whine I am about to dump this for a ht2550 or JVC D-ILA for my non-theater room projector.
I don't think that's coilwhine, it's the DMD mirrors switching. you can hear it "ramp up" as soon as you switch to a 4K source.
post #1013 of 1816 Old 06-17-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistawankaz View Post
I posted a description earlier about the noise. It is dependent on lamp brightness more than anything. The fan also fluctuates higher and lower regardless of temperature or content on screen, even a still image at several resolutions.

Not a color wheel or similar. Closer to the sound a gpu makes when you let it run at uncapped framerates. To get the whine to stay at the loudest I can turn on high altitude mode. To get the whine to leave I turn on eco, but that is also why I think I might pass on another UHD51a if it is a common issue.
Hmm, I'm going to have to pay more attention next time I'm watching anything on the projector. I've only ever really noticed it while it's switching to a 4K source.
post #1014 of 1816 Old 06-17-2018, 04:18 PM

Anybody have this happen? I was adjusting color for an RGB color space when the right half of the screen went black. I turned on some house lights to take the photo in order to show the entire screen. I had to cycle power to get back to normal.

Also I have noticed that the XPR vibrator is active for both 1080 and 2160. The only time it is off is for 3d 1080.
td
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Half Screen.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	2417410  
post #1015 of 1816 Old 06-17-2018, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsondave View Post
Also I have noticed that the XPR vibrator is active for both 1080 and 2160. The only time it is off is for 3d 1080.
td
That's normal, since 1080 input gets scaled to 4K. Only 3D 1080 stays 1080, and the XPR is off.
post #1016 of 1816 Old 06-17-2018, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Optoma UHD51A: 4K HDR 3D DLP Projector... w/ Alexa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAxeVR View Post
These projectors run at 240hz so you would need a much faster camera than 120 fps (say, 480 or 960 fps) to see individual sub-frames clearly.

Also, if you get your hands on a cell phone or 960 fps camera and take snaps again, (please do!), make sure you're running it in RGB mode from a PC, not YCbCr 4:2:2 (so in 8-bit SDR RGB instead of HDR10). 4:2:2 isn't 1:1 pixel mapping so that introduces blur too.
But what is projected/displayed is always converted to 4:4:4 RGB in the end anyway. YUV 4:2:2 is just the signal being sent to the projector, not what's being displayed on screen that the camera will pick up. The projector or any display has to process whatever signal it gets back to RGBHV 4:4:4 for display.

YUV/YCbCr/YPbPr was created to reduce bandwidth for signal transport. Just as Composite and S-Video were with even more compression. Any one of these starts and ends with RGBHV.

Quote:
For those interested, I posted a comparison of the Benq TK800 4k resolution compared to the Optoma UHD50, which should also be the same result for the Benq HT2550 and the Optoma 51A. The results are surprising. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post56343154
Quote:
Quote:

https://youtu.be/sQU_DGgXYDs

I agree. I see a lot of ringing in those images on the TK800, especially the red and yellow graphic line ones and the 3 color rainbow patch or whatever it was. I'm sure that accounts for why it seems to have more "detail" and also could be why the pixel definition is smudged.

Quote:
.....Also I have noticed that the XPR vibrator is active for both 1080 and 2160. The only time it is off is for 3d 1080.
td

These smaller .47" 4K DLPs don't use a "vibrator" (optical actuator). Their native 1920x1080 chip's mirrors angle (wobulate) in 4 different directions, so each physical mirror accounts for 4 visible pixels.
guitarman512 likes this.
post #1017 of 1816 Old 06-17-2018, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
These smaller .47" 4K DLPs don't use a "vibrator" (optical actuator). Their native 1920x1080 chip's mirrors angle (wobulate) in 4 different directions, so each physical mirror accounts for 4 visible pixels.

I sort of imagined the "wobulator" generating a circular oscillation of the image that is about one 4K pixel width in diameter or perhaps slightly smaller/bigger. With undersized mirrors in the DLP chip, taking up only ~25% of the surface area, it would be possible to activate each mirror on each quarter way around the oscillation, being brightest at the corners of each quadrant. A precisely controlled,rotating, slightly angled mirror in the light-path should be able to do the trick. What's cool is if these mirrors are pulse-width modulated they could just be done at 240 Hz providing a nice controlled pulse centered at each corner of each cycle, essentially drawing four pixels per mirror. Pretty brilliant if you ask me, but making that 240 Hz oscillation inaudible would be a challenge. Still, this technology should do nicely until native 4k comes AND all the other parts of the projector get quiet enough that the wobulator becomes the dominant noise source. (Not holding my breath there) :-) (As an alternative two linear oscillators, 90 degrees out of phase both temporally and physically could do the same trick as a single angled rotating mirror.) (another rotationally oscillating object is the color-wheel. Imagine if it could be designed to do the wobulating or are those always upstream of the dlp chip?)

Is all this right? It's basically an impression I have gotten from reading/viewing various content out there. I'm anxiously watching my UPS tracking for my new UHD51, so perhaps I'll see, first hand, what we are talking about, or if the machine is so good I won't even end up noticing the flaws because they are so mild. The unit did get five stars at ProjectorCentral. I expect to be happy considering I'm transitioning from a sub-$700 Acer H6502BD unit and an even older ViewSonic Pro8300 unit and have further darkened the room to accommodate the reduction in brightness. I'm looking forward to seeing some beautiful coal-mine black scenes. I haven't seen that since I had a 3-tube RGB Barco unit on my ceiling (what a monster that was - try getting help installing that on your ceiling and you find out just who your friends are) :-) 🦊

I'm not easily distracted. I'm just really good at... LOOK!! A CHICKEN!!
post #1018 of 1816 Old 06-17-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Anybody have this happen? I was adjusting color for an RGB color space when the right half of the screen went black. I turned on some house lights to take the photo in order to show the entire screen. I had to cycle power to get back to normal.

td
Not had this issue, but something sort of similar tends to happen if I recently changed settings, or if I'm in the settings menu whilst watching a HDR source. Half the screen goes darker for a few seconds. Though it's never gone all black like that.
post #1019 of 1816 Old 06-18-2018, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post

Actually not quite accurate:

https://www.optotune.com/products/beam-shifting

td
post #1020 of 1816 Old 06-18-2018, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Actually not quite accurate:

https://www.optotune.com/products/beam-shifting

td
This does suggest that the wobulation can be tuned, which makes sense as to the differences in the Benq and Optoma implementations or perceived pixel overlap and resolution.
foxpup likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
blu ray , hdcp , hdmi , hdmi 2.0 , projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page