Optoma UHD51A: 4K HDR 3D DLP Projector... w/ Alexa - Page 37 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 582Likes

post #1081 of 1819 Old 06-22-2018, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunkNL View Post
I've been lurking in here for a while, and thought I'd finally pulled the trigger on the UHD51.
That is, until I filled in my setup in the Optoma Distance calculator.
My setup is a 620cm wide living room, with the projector against 1 wall, and the screen on the other side. Distance between the lens and the screen will be about 500cm. I've placed my couch a bit away from the back wall (so between projector and screen), so viewing distance from the couch to the screen will be about 400 cm. Based on some optimal screen size calculators I shouldn't go wider than a 300cm wide screen (345cm/136 inch diagonal), and that's already pushing it. But apparantly in this setup the UHD51 cannot project a smaller screen than 321cm wide (368cm/145 inch diagonal) which would really be too big I'm afraid.
This seems like a pretty big restriction. For example the UHD60 can project a 225cm wide screen in the same setup distances.
Is there any way to zoom the image out further? Apart from using digital zoom that lowers resolution and creates even bigger light borders...
I use a larger diagonal image (~145-150in) from my W1070 whilst sitting about 13ft back (~4m). With a 4K projector I'd want an even larger image.

My suggestion would be to place the PJ at ~4m-4.5m from the screen so that at full wideangle (zoom to largest image size) you get a ~150-165in diagonal. You always get the brightest image with the lens at full wideangle, and you can then use the zoom for a smaller image if you desire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1819 Old 06-22-2018, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsondave View Post
Just got off the phone with Optoma. Dongle must be in the Alexa port for the LAN update.
td
Just didn't work me for on either port, so ended up updating via f/w on USB stick. Was worried during the process as it took a while, with PJ rebooting 4 times I think. Overall, a clunky process.

Not noticing any improvements, but will watch videos for longer periods to check if the glitches are no more.

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus
post #1083 of 1819 Old 06-22-2018, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I just received this projector yesterday and decided to go ahead and install this new firmware update before I really started to use it and it looks like something went wrong and wanted to see if there is any advice.

I was doing the update via the USB connection since I have not set up any wifi on this yet. Followed the directions, formatted flash drive to FAT32 copied over the update file, projector was already turned off, put USB into the USB port labeled 'media reader', pressed home button for few seconds and projector come on. Image was black at first as the directions said and then it says you are supposed to get a blue cursor that will appear (spinning) for "several minutes". I did get the blue cursor but I think it only spun for a few seconds and then I just had the blue cursor on the screen (not spinning), I left it up here for about 20 minutes and it never went away, started to spin or have the projector restart. I was able to power down the projector by pressing the power button for a few seconds, removed the USB drive and then a few minutes later I started the projector back up and now I get the Optoma logo to appear and then get the blue cursor that is stuck on the screen (not spinning) and never gets to the menu so I can use the projector.

I tried a different USB drive and tried it again, but still just get blue cursor and never looks like update is actually running when starting without the flash drive in, gets same thing, just the blue cursor.

Is there anyway to reset this back to the factory firmware or a different way I should try to install the firmware?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1084 of 1819 Old 06-22-2018, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by motivr View Post
You are talking about this issue? (see photo)
I have this problem and only way to get around it is setting colorspace to YCbCr . It looks like this projector has a problem with 3840x2160 with RGB 4:4:4 colorspace. maybe it's just mine. but I tried with all kinds of video card (from nVidia GTX 970 to AMD RX 480 to integrated Intel HD). makes no difference I still have the problem even with the included short HDMI cable. I may have to return it if future firmware does no fix this issue because I don't like the blurry text in YCbCr mode
Bingo. That is it. I spent the day yesterday doing everything on a software level I could think from clean re-install of Nvidia drivers to a complete re-install of Windows 10. No good. The closest I ever got was 3840 x 2160 30Hz. That's why it worked with my other computer which maxes out at 3840 x 2160 30Hz. I don't want to mess with colorspace for the reason you mention.

Yet several people say they get can do 3840 x 2160 60Hz without issues. Very strange.

Do you have an Intel or AMD system?

Last edited by Ken McPherson; 06-22-2018 at 10:01 AM.
post #1085 of 1819 Old 06-22-2018, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
How did you try to connect?

Is this what you did with the dongle in the Alexa port?

From the home page go to "settings" then click the "Network" icon.
Click on "Projector Control Settings."
Click on "Wireless Settings."

Click to "Wi-fi" to turn it on. Your router should appear on the list. Then click on the router name.

Did you try "Network Reset"?
Was power cycled after moving dongle to "Alexa" port?

td
Thanks for respnding

Yes i did these steps a dozen times, I may not of powered cycled every time and will continue to try. I even plugged in a usb keyboard to make sure it was not the onscreen keyboard inputting my password incorrectly. it excepts my password and connects in every port including the media port, but not the alexa port. Not sure how important this lan c09 update is, I wont be using alexa or any media streaming apps on the projector, but would still like it to work correctly. Is there no way to just put this update on a thumb drive?

post #1086 of 1819 Old 06-22-2018, 03:33 PM

I was able to finally get my firmware update working on the projector. Used a 3rd flash drive and this time with a different computer and it worked as expected. Not sure what went wrong the other flash drives I had made, but if anyone else had issues with USB firmware using a different computer might help.
post #1087 of 1819 Old 06-22-2018, 03:53 PM
Sit

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I turned my UHD51A projector on and it said a firmware update was ready. So I updated it to C06, through wi-fi. I then had to update lan firmware to C09, OK. It told me how to do it through wi-fi, which worked great for the first update. About after 30 minutes of frustration, I ran an ethernet cable to the projector. The lan firmware update then went fine. In reading the UHD51A C09 LAN Firmware release notes, I noticed, "• Improved Wi-Fi Connectivity". I chuckled.
GordoSan likes this.
post #1088 of 1819 Old 06-22-2018, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Is there an easy way to turn 3D on and off?
Tried Harmony and did not have a dedicated 3D on/off button.

Only the web interface seems to have it...
post #1089 of 1819 Old 06-23-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post
Just didn't work me for on either port, so ended up updating via f/w on USB stick. Was worried during the process as it took a while, with PJ rebooting 4 times I think. Overall, a clunky process.

Not noticing any improvements, but will watch videos for longer periods to check if the glitches are no more.
How did you get the PJ to recognized the USB stick?

Background:
- I have hard-wire internet, but PJ doesn't recognize connection--so now have eithernet disconnected
- I have the Alexa dongle in the Alexa port and I can connect to my router--but not the internet
- So trying to run files downloaded on PC to USB
- USB drive is in the "USB Service Only" connector
Nothing happens and I can't see any menu option to access the USB!
Frustrated!!!
post #1090 of 1819 Old 06-23-2018, 05:11 PM

Help with Firmware Updates requested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Background:
- I have hard-wire internet, but PJ doesn't recognize connection--so now have eithernet disconnected
- I have the Alexa dongle in the Alexa port and I can connect to my router--but not the internet
- So trying to run files downloaded on PC to USB
- USB drive is in the "USB Service Only" connector
Nothing happens and I can't see any menu option to access the USB!
Frustrated!!!
post #1091 of 1819 Old 06-24-2018, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone. I have a little problem with my uhd51. With my xbox one X, i cant put the resolution 2160p (max 1080p in automatic configuration) and no 4K HDR on my ps4 pro.

I don't understand why. I have call optoma in france and they didn't have any solution at this time for me.

Someone have already this problem with UHD51?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

VIDEO : UHD51 - lumene movie palace 270 - UBDK8500

XBOX ONE X - Ps4 pro - nvidia shield
post #1092 of 1819 Old 06-24-2018, 02:41 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike59240 View Post
Hi everyone. I have a little problem with my uhd51. With my xbox one X, i cant put the resolution 2160p (max 1080p in automatic configuration) and no 4K HDR on my ps4 pro.

I don't understand why. I have call optoma in france and they didn't have any solution at this time for me.

Someone have already this problem with UHD51?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

hi, i also use Xbox One X with UHD51 and i did not find this problem.
if you have connected the One X to a Amp AV, try to connect it directly to the projector

VPR: Optoma UHD51, schermo: Elite Screens Saker Tab-Tension 135". TV: Sony KD 65" XD8599. CAM: TivùSat GoldHD 4k. Sinto AV: Pioneer SC-LX59, SORGENTI: Pioneer BDP450, Xbox One X, MySkyHD. DIFFUSORI: B&W CDM7se (front), B&W HTM7 (centrale), Canton GLE 416.2 (surr.), Canton GLE 416 (surr. back), Canton GLE 416 (Atmos), SVS PB1000 (sub). Remote: Logitech Harmony Elite
post #1093 of 1819 Old 06-24-2018, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Send a message via Skype™ to Sonisame
Make sure you are using premium certified 4K HDMI cables which are tested to work at 4K @60Hz. This one is a bit picky on hdmi cables which run longer than 6 feet.

Sonisame

Last edited by Sonisame; 06-24-2018 at 08:32 AM.
post #1094 of 1819 Old 06-24-2018, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I followed Optoma's instructions:
  1. USB stick formatted as FAT32, and using PC, copied over C06 firmware image file (YH838Upgrade.bin) (make sure you unzip and copy over only this .bin file onto the USB)
  2. Unplugged PJ
  3. Plugged in USB stick into USB Media Reader port (the blue USB 3.0 type one on right, not the service one)
  4. Plugged power back in, then held 'Home' button on remote for about 10 seconds and let go
  5. Allowed f/w update to do its thing (took about 10 mins if I'm recalling correctly, and PJ rebooted about 4 times)

Now that I've watched two movies (one 23.976 4K HDR, and another 23.976 1080p, both 1:1 disc rips, via nVidia Shield TV), I'm finding the C06/C09 f/w an overall improvement. With the 4K movie, only noticed one quick glitch (vs. 5-6 previously), and none w/the 1080p one. One thing that's a bit worse is that the PJ is more finicky detecting HDR (sometimes it won't on first try, other times, it does, but picture looks very over saturated/blown-out, then trying again, it works correctly).

post #1095 of 1819 Old 06-25-2018, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 50
There are actually three fans all of which are variable speed. The speed will fluctuate as needed.

td
post #1096 of 1819 Old 06-25-2018, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 293
It's interesting that the french review site seems to believe that the reason the interpolation on these units doesn't work for 4K content (is that true?), is that they would need to interpolate from 24 to 240 fps, which isn't true. They could interpolate to 60 then display the four sub-frames at the same timestamp:

https://www.projection-homecinema.fr...51-dlp-4k-hdr/

Sometimes I really wonder if the people reviewing these projectors really understand how they work, at all, when they write such things. They certainly could interpolate to 240 but 60 would still be a big improvement over 24 fps.
post #1097 of 1819 Old 06-25-2018, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAxeVR View Post
It's interesting that the french review site seems to believe that the reason the interpolation on these units doesn't work for 4K content (is that true?), is that they would need to interpolate from 24 to 240 fps, which isn't true. They could interpolate to 60 then display the four sub-frames at the same timestamp:

Sometimes I really wonder if the people reviewing these projectors really understand how they work, at all, when they write such things. They certainly could interpolate to 240 but 60 would still be a big improvement over 24 fps.
Frame interpolation works in 4K.
Ken McPherson likes this.
post #1098 of 1819 Old 06-25-2018, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone w/nVidia Shield or another streaming device noticing glitches post-firmware update in the picture w/YouTube, DirecTV Now or similar apps? For me, local 4K & 1080p content, whether 23.976 or 59.940/60, play well, but streaming content sources exhibit artifacts in the picture, similar to macroblocking in spots.

post #1099 of 1819 Old 06-25-2018, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McPherson View Post
Thanks for checking, guys. Turns out it's on my end. I hooked up another computer and the UHD51a did 3840 x 2160 @ 60Hz without any problem.

At least I don't have to do an RMA!
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post56076844
Yes , I post this issue on this thread in April.
I also already drop a mail to Optoma to raise a support case.

They told me there will be a new version of firmware "might" fix this issue in the early of June.
But sadly , until today , I still do not receive any notification for RMA.
Ken McPherson likes this.
post #1100 of 1819 Old 06-25-2018, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAxeVR View Post

I think that Kraine's review said FI didn't work with HDR, the option is then grade out. I've tested other 4K content (For instance House of Cards via Netflix) and FI works then (albeit with artifacts in the picture).

Edit: and yes, FI option is grayed out on HDR.

Btw, what's the optimal gamma for people that have started calibrating their projectors?

Last edited by Paganmoon; 06-26-2018 at 02:02 AM.
post #1101 of 1819 Old 06-26-2018, 05:04 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paganmoon View Post
I think that Kraine's review said FI didn't work with HDR, the option is then grade out. I've tested other 4K content (For instance House of Cards via Netflix) and FI works then (albeit with artifacts in the picture).

Edit: and yes, FI option is grayed out on HDR.

Btw, what's the optimal gamma for people that have started calibrating their projectors?
So FI indeed does not work when playing HDR content? So we get this 4K projector with HDR and FI... we put in our awesome 4K disc of Dunkirk with HDR, and we lose the ability to use FI? In my opinion that is one of the biggest reasons for buying this projector over the UHD50. This is really disappointing to hear!
post #1102 of 1819 Old 06-26-2018, 05:07 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbeenjammin1969 View Post
Frame interpolation works in 4K.
Man, that review site has gone completely downhill since Kraine left.
post #1103 of 1819 Old 06-26-2018, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paganmoon View Post

The Spears and Munsil calibration disk recommends 2.4 under ideal conditions, 2.2 if there is ambient light hitting the screen.

td
post #1104 of 1819 Old 06-26-2018, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty3x3 View Post
So FI indeed does not work when playing HDR content? So we get this 4K projector with HDR and FI... we put in our awesome 4K disc of Dunkirk with HDR, and we lose the ability to use FI? In my opinion that is one of the biggest reasons for buying this projector over the UHD50. This is really disappointing to hear!
I recall Tuan mentioning something about it, and dug around his post history:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
It's the other way around - for 4K HDR sources, pure motion only works with RGB.
I'll have to test when I get home, playing HDR content and switching color space manually to RGB, to see if FI options get selectable or not. So far it seems HDR content will by default set the color space to YUV then.

Quote:
The Spears and Munsil calibration disk recommends 2.4 under ideal conditions, 2.2 if there is ambient light hitting the screen.

td
Thanks, I'm going to have to play around a bit more with my settings. Don't recall seeing any specific test patterns for gamma on the DVE HD Basics disc, so it's really best effort for me hehe.

Last edited by Paganmoon; 06-26-2018 at 06:58 AM.
post #1105 of 1819 Old 06-26-2018, 08:13 AM

Gamma test patterns are worthless. The ones on the Spears & Munsil and Disney WOW require squinting, defocusing, or viewing from a great distance. They might show you what your gamma is but since gamma is not a continuously variable adjustment there's really no point.

td
post #1106 of 1819 Old 06-26-2018, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 29
To end any more confusion, FI works in a 4K HDR Blu ray using YUV color space...
post #1107 of 1819 Old 06-26-2018, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I was thinking about getting this project. Is the projector any good. I don’t see a lot of reviews on this projector.
post #1108 of 1819 Old 06-26-2018, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbeenjammin1969 View Post
To end any more confusion, FI works in a 4K HDR Blu ray using YUV color space...
Man this is great to hear! Thank you for following up!!
post #1109 of 1819 Old 06-27-2018, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Lawd View Post
I was thinking about getting this project. Is the projector any good. I don’t see a lot of reviews on this projector.
Read the previous 20 pages for the answer.
post #1110 of 1819 Old 06-27-2018, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Lawd View Post

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=optoma+uhd51a+review

Coming Soon~ new gear~ NX-7, 125" 2:35 Cinescope Screen~ 9.2 Atmos System featuring Martin Logan speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
blu ray , hdcp , hdmi , hdmi 2.0 , projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page