Optoma UHD51A: 4K HDR 3D DLP Projector... w/ Alexa - Page 38 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 582Likes

post #1111 of 1819 Old 06-27-2018, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I was looking at this projector as a replacement for my Epson 3010 and I had a few questions for owners...

How bad is the light border on this? I can't seem to find much on it, only that it exists.
I read that there is some brightness uniformity issues at the edges of the screen. Is this very noticeable?
I've also read that there were some quirks that have been fixed with firmware updates - is anyone having any weird issues with handshake or 3D?
I checked the throw distance for my screen (119") and it looks like I'm right at the max for my throw distance. The Optoma distance calculator says 13.74 feet and my throw distance is 13' 8" so I think I'm good there.

One last question I'm hoping someone can help me with - I have a long run from my amp to the projector and I'm using a redmere HDMI cable. It's worked perfectly for 3D, no issues. The amp is passing the signal through for 3D (Onkyo TX-NR709). Will I be able to pass the 4K signal through the amp or am I going to need a new amp? I'm really hoping I can use the amp, it sounds great and I have no issues with it. If I have to buy a new amp that's going to kill my upgrade idea for a bit.

Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1819 Old 06-27-2018, 11:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by neveser View Post
I was looking at this projector as a replacement for my Epson 3010 and I had a few questions for owners...

How bad is the light border on this? I can't seem to find much on it, only that it exists.
I don't really think of it much, only when the screen is pitch black, as in there's no input. Can't say it's really stood out much during dark scenes when watching movies.
But it is there, and it is visible. It all depends on how "allergic" you are to it, it's not been a huge issue for me, yet.

Quote:
I read that there is some brightness uniformity issues at the edges of the screen. Is this very noticeable?
I can't say I've really noticed this at all.

Quote:
One last question I'm hoping someone can help me with - I have a long run from my amp to the projector and I'm using a redmere HDMI cable. It's worked perfectly for 3D, no issues. The amp is passing the signal through for 3D (Onkyo TX-NR709). Will I be able to pass the 4K signal through the amp or am I going to need a new amp? I'm really hoping I can use the amp, it sounds great and I have no issues with it. If I have to buy a new amp that's going to kill my upgrade idea for a bit.
From what I gathered when I was lookin into changing my receiver from the Denon AVR-1911, The TX-NR709 can't do 4K input, it does output 4K via upscaling in the receiver apparently though.
Though only for [email protected] max, as it isn't high speed compliant. So I'd say to get the most out of the UHD51(A) you'd be looking at replacing the receiver as well. Or depending on what inputs you're going to use, split video and audio, if possible.
post #1113 of 1819 Old 06-28-2018, 02:50 AM

Question regarding the use of the topic. Should we split up UHD51 and UHD51A into different topics? Basically same base projector, but with the UHD51A getting FW updates and UHD51 seemingly not, there's going to be more and more of a difference between the two.

Not sure how appriciated any input I give on the UHD51A is, when my impression are based off the UHD51.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1114 of 1819 Old 06-28-2018, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Personally, I would like to see UHD51/UHD51a split into two threads.

FYI, since the firmware update, I am now able to get 3840 x 2160 @ 60Hz without a split screen or any other problems.

Keep up the good work, Optoma!
djbuddha, GordoSan and Paganmoon like this.
post #1115 of 1819 Old 06-28-2018, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I agree, two threads, but how about "owner's threads?" This one is getting too big.
Leave this one for the reviews and comparisons. Owners threads for discussing use, settings, problems, etc.
I vote for an area 51 and an area 51A if forum rules allow.

td

Last edited by tucsondave; 06-28-2018 at 03:31 PM.
post #1116 of 1819 Old 06-30-2018, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So I received my uhd51a last night and I am impressed so far. However I can't figure out how to turn down the sharpness setting. No matter which video mode I select (Cinema, Reference, ect..) the sharpness setting has a fixed value and is greyed out. I have an Xbox One X and Ps4 Pro hooked up through both of the hdmi ports and neither will allow me to adjust the sharpness. Does anyone know what I'm missing? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.
post #1117 of 1819 Old 07-01-2018, 02:27 AM

Liked: 10
Does the 51a play files over lan, especially x265.

51a still not available here in the UK, so may just get the uhd 51.

Apqart from Alexa and firmware upgrade ability anything else I would be missing out on?
post #1118 of 1819 Old 07-01-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGsingularity View Post
So I received my uhd51a last night and I am impressed so far. However I can't figure out how to turn down the sharpness setting. No matter which video mode I select (Cinema, Reference, ect..) the sharpness setting has a fixed value and is greyed out. I have an Xbox One X and Ps4 Pro hooked up through both of the hdmi ports and neither will allow me to adjust the sharpness. Does anyone know what I'm missing? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

You are probably sending an RGB signal. The sharpness control is not available for RGB signals.
td
post #1119 of 1819 Old 07-01-2018, 10:21 AM

Hi guys...

I own a JVC X30 (aka RS45 in USA if i remember well) with a 85" DIY width screen. I do not have a batcave or a dedicated room, watching movies in a living-room with white and grey walls.
I'm very happy with this projector (bought new early 2011...) even if i know that the contrast of my projector is not as good as it should be in optimal conditions (very dark room).

Does it make sense to you to replace the JVC by this Optoma ?
My use : 100% movies (blu-ray / Netflix) with HTPC.
I'm a gamer too but can't play online with the JVC (very bad input lag).
I know that the input lag of the Optoma is not one of the best. I
s there any hope to get a decent input lag with a new firmware ?
Thanks.
post #1120 of 1819 Old 07-01-2018, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsondave View Post
You are probably sending an RGB signal. The sharpness control is not available for RGB signals.
td

I just got my UK UHD51 without Alexa and pure motion isn't available either from my standard Blu ray or my Fire TV box. That's pretty cr*p! I take it that's due to RGB as well? My HD 33 didn't care at all.
post #1121 of 1819 Old 07-01-2018, 08:02 PM

Liked: 0
td[/QUOTE]

Perfect, Thank You! I had no idea.
post #1122 of 1819 Old 07-03-2018, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman512 View Post
I just got my UK UHD51 without Alexa and pure motion isn't available either from my standard Blu ray or my Fire TV box. That's pretty cr*p! I take it that's due to RGB as well? My HD 33 didn't care at all.
Just do you know, your old HD33 is still running pretty well. It's been mostly dependable for years now.

I was going to replace it this year (probably with the UHD51A), but you're right; there's a lot of little details that seem to be missing, but were solid on older models like the HD33. I also wonder if the XPR chips will be nearly as reliable, over time.
post #1123 of 1819 Old 07-03-2018, 01:58 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordoSan View Post
Just do you know, your old HD33 is still running pretty well. It's been mostly dependable for years now.

I was going to replace it this year (probably with the UHD51A), but you're right; there's a lot of little details that seem to be missing, but were solid on older models like the HD33. I also wonder if the XPR chips will be nearly as reliable, over time.
I am still on my HD33 as well that has gone through two bulbs and two color wheels. I have been wanting to replace it but it seems like everything I want to go to has some main weakness I don't like about it. I was set on the UHD51a but the input lag is too bothersome for me.
post #1124 of 1819 Old 07-03-2018, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmus View Post
I tried all usb ports. It says conencted to wifi but still says "no internet".

Anyone know solution for this ?

It's connected to internet but when i am checking for FW upgrade it says there is no internet ???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180605_230637.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	399.7 KB
ID:	2423846  
post #1125 of 1819 Old 07-03-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:

Ha ha! that was the original Guitarman on the forums HD33 you've got! But anyways, yeah, no problems at all for the nearly seven years I've had it. I do wish the 51 had a little FI for the 3d as other than that its superb. I figure if I move it to the side a little I can get a 160" screen instead of my 120". This maybe the time to do a dedicated cinema room in my living room. On a side note the cheap 10m certified 4k cable only works from my Fire tv box up to 30hz. It does nothing from the Sony 700x UHD player at all. I take it, it only puts out 60hz in 4k auto detect mode?
post #1126 of 1819 Old 07-03-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmus View Post
Anyone know solution for this ?

It's connected to internet but when i am checking for FW upgrade it says there is no internet ???

"Projector Control Settings" is for updating the LAN firmware with the dongle in the Alexa port.

The system firmware uses the "Wireless Settings (WiFi Display/System upgrade)" menu with the dongle in the WiFi port.

td
post #1127 of 1819 Old 07-04-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsondave View Post
"Projector Control Settings" is for updating the LAN firmware with the dongle in the Alexa port.

The system firmware uses the "Wireless Settings (WiFi Display/System upgrade)" menu with the dongle in the WiFi port.

td
I didn't want to go through the ongoing hassle of moving the dongle from port to port whenever there is a firmware update, so I bought the 2nd dongle for $30. Well worth it, IMO. Made the upgrade process exactly as stated by Optoma.

All aspects of Echo/Alexa are now working in a consistent manner. 2160p working consistently from all sources.

After several weeks, I have dialed in every aspect of my installation. Perfect alignment, light border 'disappeared' with the super-sticky black felt tape surrounding 110" high contrast grey screen.

I'm ready to dig into specifics of the UHD51a, so I have created the Official Optoma UHD51a Owner's Thread https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...-s-thread.html
xpostal and Paganmoon like this.
post #1128 of 1819 Old 07-04-2018, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Send a message via Skype™ to Sonisame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McPherson View Post
I didn't want to go through the ongoing hassle of moving the dongle from port to port whenever there is a firmware update, so I bought the 2nd dongle for $30. Well worth it, IMO. Made the upgrade process exactly as stated by Optoma.

All aspects of Echo/Alexa are now working in a consistent manner. 2160p working consistently from all sources.

After several weeks, I have dialed in every aspect of my installation. Perfect alignment, light border 'disappeared' with the super-sticky black felt tape surrounding 110" high contrast grey screen.

I'm ready to dig into specifics of the UHD51a, so I have created the Official Optoma UHD51a Owner's Thread https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...-s-thread.html
I guess this confirms that other generic wifi dongles wont work. Only Optoma branded dongle will work on wifi/alexa port.

I still cant figure out why did they include Ethernet?

Sonisame
post #1129 of 1819 Old 07-05-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonisame View Post
I guess this confirms that other generic wifi dongles wont work. Only Optoma branded dongle will work on wifi/alexa port.

I still cant figure out why did they include Ethernet?

Sonisame
Yup. I tried a generic wifi dongle and the uhd51a did not recognize it.
post #1130 of 1819 Old 07-06-2018, 04:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Wifi and RJ-45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McPherson View Post
Yup. I tried a generic wifi dongle and the uhd51a did not recognize it.
Did you try the generic dongle in the Wifi/Display port or just the Alexa Port?

Tuan, sure would be nice if someone clarified when and how we can use the RJ45 port for internet access and then unlock it is a future firmware update so that high-speed internet can be used for all functions via RJ45.
post #1131 of 1819 Old 07-06-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Did you try the generic dongle in the Wifi/Display port or just the Alexa Port?
Wifi/Display port.
post #1132 of 1819 Old 07-07-2018, 09:39 AM

So how's everyone dealing with the red bias/saturation on the UHD51/UHD51A? I'm trying watch Luke Cage on Netflix (4K HDR) and I can't really get rid of the extra red.

Or is it just how this show is filmed? Red is just strangely oversaturated. On the verge of blooming in some scenes.

I've tried lowering bias, saturation and hue in color matching. And lowering gain in the RGB gain/bias setting. Still get a bit of oversaturation. I'm thinking this has got to be the show itself by now, but would love other input.
post #1133 of 1819 Old 07-07-2018, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Anyone tried to use a Harmony remote with the projector? I wanted to check the database but the software wants me to connect a remote before I can take a look to see if it's listed. I don't actually own one of the remotes. I was contemplating buying the 650.

Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project

post #1134 of 1819 Old 07-07-2018, 03:54 PM

Hello,
I'm going to buy the Optoma UHD51 pretty soon but just discovered that the UHD51 A can update the firmware at home which is pretty amazing considering the fixes that these projectors are getting are ongoing. I read that the firmware can be updated via USB stick so was wondeering if this can be done even on the UHD51 or only on the 51A. Has anyone tried to do the procedure on the 51 projector using the firmware of the 51A ? Is that possible to do ? Otherwise I'll have to wait to get the 51A I presume... That would save me from sending the projector to the workshop everytime there'll be a major firmware fix...
Thanks
Alessandro
post #1135 of 1819 Old 07-08-2018, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Anyone tried to use a Harmony remote with the projector? I wanted to check the database but the software wants me to connect a remote before I can take a look to see if it's listed. I don't actually own one of the remotes. I was contemplating buying the 650.
For me it was not in the database yet, but i selected the optoma hd33(the projector i replaced). I have not checked out everything yet but power, input, and menu work fine

post #1136 of 1819 Old 07-08-2018, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman512 View Post
Ha ha! that was the original Guitarman on the forums HD33 you've got! But anyways, yeah, no problems at all for the nearly seven years I've had it. I do wish the 51 had a little FI for the 3d as other than that its superb. I figure if I move it to the side a little I can get a 160" screen instead of my 120". This maybe the time to do a dedicated cinema room in my living room. On a side note the cheap 10m certified 4k cable only works from my Fire tv box up to 30hz. It does nothing from the Sony 700x UHD player at all. I take it, it only puts out 60hz in 4k auto detect mode?
Oh yeah, of course... That explains the location differences. I've that mine about 5.5 years, btw.

So I have yet to try the UHD51A, but I will say that no FI for 3D is my greatest disappointment. 3D is nearly the only time I actually use FI anymore, other than the occasional low setting for sports. They just work so well together. I think us HD33 users might understand this better than anyone. I've demoed IMAX Under the Sea 3D multiple times with/without various levels of FI, and it really makes you want to never go without again.
guitarman512 likes this.
post #1137 of 1819 Old 07-08-2018, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Oh yeah, of course... That explains the location differences. I've that mine about 5.5 years, btw.

So I have yet to try the UHD51A, but I will say that no FI for 3D is my greatest disappointment. 3D is nearly the only time I actually use FI anymore, other than the occasional low setting for sports. They just work so well together. I think us HD33 users might understand this better than anyone. I've demoed IMAX Under the Sea 3D multiple times with/without various levels of FI, and it really makes you want to never go without again.
One of 3D's biggest problems is that it's typically shackled by 24 fps source material, which is just painful and destroys the illusion. 24 fps's shortcomings are twice as bad in 3D. When people whine about 3D being uncomfortable, when what they're really complaining about, in my opinion, is low framerate 3D, which I agree is awful.

One possible eventual workaround for the UHD51's lack of FI with 3D would be to use a PC, if there were a 1080p 60hz frame sequential mode (120hz 3D Ready in FHD), which could be added via firmware update if Optoma wanted to.
post #1138 of 1819 Old 07-08-2018, 01:30 PM

Yeah, I do miss it in action scenes as 3D on this is otherwise perfect. I went searching tonight for the elusive single pixel vertical and horizontal line Nirvana and found them! I did have to zoom my image to about 160" though to see them clearly. they are low in contrast but visible. It's not just the pixel grid either as the single pixel chessboard test is just a pure grey. A few other pics too, remember I've still not got HDR!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00468.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	827.6 KB
ID:	2425830   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00475.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	502.0 KB
ID:	2425832   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00477.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	770.3 KB
ID:	2425834   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00484.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	719.4 KB
ID:	2425836   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00486.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	899.5 KB
ID:	2425838  

Name:	DSC00478.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	2425840   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00493.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	1,007.4 KB
ID:	2425842  
GordoSan and koomikko01 like this.
post #1139 of 1819 Old 07-08-2018, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Harmony Remote

Quote:
Logitech added the UHD51a to the database a couple of weeks ago
post #1140 of 1819 Old 07-09-2018, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok soooooo I just upgraded my 720p Panasonic AX200 from 2007 to the UHD51A.

I'm in awe ... I feel like I went from black & white to TV to 1080p (not even including HDR, that had me stunned).

I have one small issue.

I used my old mount from my AX200 (courtesy of lots of cussing and making deals with Jesus). It works, buuuuuut my old AX200 was too far back for me to shoot 106" with this one. . (On its lowest optical zoom point, I have about 3 inches bleeding over my screen).

So, in the interim, I have my digital zoom set to -3 and it works great........ until you put on a 3D title. Then it reverts back to the 0x digital zoom.

Now, I've only had it for about 5 hours, and haven't done the firmware update yet. Will this help at all for this issue? (I want to avoid moving the mount- it's going to be a real pain) and as much as I would like to say "oh I'll just buy a new screen", that's not realistic LOL.

Also, I realized today that I'm sensitive to DLP rainbows, but I think I'll get over it 🤦🏾*♂️

Any advice for the size situation would be fantastic, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
blu ray , hdcp , hdmi , hdmi 2.0 , projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page