Optoma UHD51A: 4K HDR 3D DLP Projector... w/ Alexa - Page 39 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 606Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1141 of 1905 Old 07-09-2018, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
GordoSan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAxeVR View Post
One of 3D's biggest problems is that it's typically shackled by 24 fps source material, which is just painful and destroys the illusion. 24 fps's shortcomings are twice as bad in 3D. When people whine about 3D being uncomfortable, when what they're really complaining about, in my opinion, is low framerate 3D, which I agree is awful.

One possible eventual workaround for the UHD51's lack of FI with 3D would be to use a PC, if there were a 1080p 60hz frame sequential mode (120hz 3D Ready in FHD), which could be added via firmware update if Optoma wanted to.
Now that Optoma finally has user-upgradable firmware, they really need a consumer wish list! ...or do they have one?
djbuddha and BattleAxeVR like this.
GordoSan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1142 of 1905 Old 07-10-2018, 08:14 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Has anyone compared this to a Epson 5040ub? I'm wondering how it stacks up in terms of black levels. I'm a sucker for black level, but I also like the idea of the UHD51A being more "true 4k" than the 5040ub.
jjones86 is offline  
post #1143 of 1905 Old 07-10-2018, 09:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Edvard_Grieg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I'm having some issues with HDR/HDMI2 with the projector. Other equipment:
Yamaha Aventage 1060
Sony x800
Sony PS4 Pro
nVidia Shield

Prior to getting the UHD51a the Yamaha, Shield and PS4 Pro all worked successfully with HDR with a Samsung 8000 series LED.

I've been building out a theater room and so far had the projector hooked up to the Yamaha and the nVidia Shield running through the receiver. In this setup everything works fine, I was able to play 4k HDR via Plex as well as streaming content. Effectively no issues and a beautiful picture albeit some occasional 'studder' which may just be playing with PureMotion, streaming quality etc

I then just picked up an x800 as I know true UHD BluRays will look even better. Connected it in through the receiver- nothing. Put in Deadpool UHD, got some sound, but still no picture. I swapped some of the cables I had connected x800 to receiver (all Amazon Basics High Speed) and still no change. I then went into the Projector Settings and changed HDMI from 2.0 to 1.4. Voila, I have a picture...except of course no HDR etc is going through it.

To troubleshoot some more I disconnected the x800 from the receiver and connected it directly to the projector. Now I could get the movie itself to play as HDMI 2/HDR and looked beautiful, but when I tried to go back to the 'home' screen of the x800- nothing. I played a little more with the settings on the projector and was adjusting the HDMI 1 EQ setting and found that around 8-13 I could get the picture to come through at the home screen, but with some flickering. I have no clue what this setting is supposed to do or why it was working.

Having found the EQ setting I plugged the x800 back into the receiver and tried again, no fiddling with the EQ setting- no luck at all.

Since the x800 was new I tried the PS4 Pro to see if it was something with the x800. I connected it through the receiver and no dice. Would not work in HDMI 2 mode at all.

Any idea what could be going on here? If no HDR was working I'd immediately look at the cable, but I don't understand why HDR is working fine via the Shield, but not with any other sources?

My next test later tonight when I get home will be to try and move the receiver closer to the projector and test that connection with a shorter cable (current one is a longer run through the ceiling).

What else might be going on and can I test? Any 'guaranteed' cables at longer lengths that people know work well? (this one is supposed to be rated for 18gbps and 4k x 2k)

What is the EQ setting on the projector and why did it make any difference?

Thanks!
Edvard_Grieg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1144 of 1905 Old 07-10-2018, 03:06 PM
Senior Member
 
scotty3x3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvard_Grieg View Post
Hi all,

I'm having some issues with HDR/HDMI2 with the projector. Other equipment:
Yamaha Aventage 1060
Sony x800
Sony PS4 Pro
nVidia Shield

Prior to getting the UHD51a the Yamaha, Shield and PS4 Pro all worked successfully with HDR with a Samsung 8000 series LED.

I've been building out a theater room and so far had the projector hooked up to the Yamaha and the nVidia Shield running through the receiver. In this setup everything works fine, I was able to play 4k HDR via Plex as well as streaming content. Effectively no issues and a beautiful picture albeit some occasional 'studder' which may just be playing with PureMotion, streaming quality etc

I then just picked up an x800 as I know true UHD BluRays will look even better. Connected it in through the receiver- nothing. Put in Deadpool UHD, got some sound, but still no picture. I swapped some of the cables I had connected x800 to receiver (all Amazon Basics High Speed) and still no change. I then went into the Projector Settings and changed HDMI from 2.0 to 1.4. Voila, I have a picture...except of course no HDR etc is going through it.

To troubleshoot some more I disconnected the x800 from the receiver and connected it directly to the projector. Now I could get the movie itself to play as HDMI 2/HDR and looked beautiful, but when I tried to go back to the 'home' screen of the x800- nothing. I played a little more with the settings on the projector and was adjusting the HDMI 1 EQ setting and found that around 8-13 I could get the picture to come through at the home screen, but with some flickering. I have no clue what this setting is supposed to do or why it was working.

Having found the EQ setting I plugged the x800 back into the receiver and tried again, no fiddling with the EQ setting- no luck at all.

Since the x800 was new I tried the PS4 Pro to see if it was something with the x800. I connected it through the receiver and no dice. Would not work in HDMI 2 mode at all.

Any idea what could be going on here? If no HDR was working I'd immediately look at the cable, but I don't understand why HDR is working fine via the Shield, but not with any other sources?

My next test later tonight when I get home will be to try and move the receiver closer to the projector and test that connection with a shorter cable (current one is a longer run through the ceiling).

What else might be going on and can I test? Any 'guaranteed' cables at longer lengths that people know work well? (this one is supposed to be rated for 18gbps and 4k x 2k)

What is the EQ setting on the projector and why did it make any difference?

Thanks!
Any problem that I have had similar to this as well as problems that I have read about always comes back to the HDMI cable. If it’s a longer run, which it sounds like it is, the HDMI cable has always been the cause of the problem. Good luck.
scotty3x3 is offline  
post #1145 of 1905 Old 07-10-2018, 03:53 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty3x3 View Post
Any problem that I have had similar to this as well as problems that I have read about always comes back to the HDMI cable. If it’s a longer run, which it sounds like it is, the HDMI cable has always been the cause of the problem. Good luck.
I'd have to agree. Had a problem with a long run >25ft. Ordered a fiber optic 50ft HDMI cable and solved all my problems. Expensive, but worth it. Minor drop in the bucket when compared to a home theater setup IMO. Can't post a link yet, but search Amazon for HDMI Fiber Cable RUIPRO.
koomikko01 likes this.
jjones86 is offline  
post #1146 of 1905 Old 07-10-2018, 05:10 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 868
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordoSan View Post
Now that Optoma finally has user-upgradable firmware, they really need a consumer wish list! ...or do they have one?
A good "wish list" to have, for any of these 4K 0.47 units, would be:

1) HDR10+
2) Frame sequential 3D at 1080p FHD 60hz, and compatibility with NVidia 3D Vision via PC-based IR transmitters. This should be possible via firmware.
3) 1080p 240hz should also work due to being the same pixel clock as 2160p 60hz. Four times fewer pixels per frame traded for four times as many frames per second.
4) 1080p 192hz, including both SDR and HDR10+ in 4:4:4.
5) 2160p 48hz, including both SDR and HDR10+ in 4:4:4.

Being able to activate XPR shifting at 1080p 240hz and 192hz, for PC games to get quasi 4K on top of 4,5 above, using some custom programming.
GordoSan and qoopy like this.
BattleAxeVR is offline  
post #1147 of 1905 Old 07-10-2018, 06:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Edvard_Grieg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty3x3 View Post
Any problem that I have had similar to this as well as problems that I have read about always comes back to the HDMI cable. If it’s a longer run, which it sounds like it is, the HDMI cable has always been the cause of the problem. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones86 View Post
I'd have to agree. Had a problem with a long run >25ft. Ordered a fiber optic 50ft HDMI cable and solved all my problems. Expensive, but worth it. Minor drop in the bucket when compared to a home theater setup IMO. Can't post a link yet, but search Amazon for HDMI Fiber Cable RUIPRO.
Well you guys were spot on, was able to test with another cable and all issues are gone. Is fiber the only good option for ~30-50ft? Guess it's time to re-fish through the Smurf tube.
Edvard_Grieg is offline  
post #1148 of 1905 Old 07-11-2018, 01:53 PM
Member
 
guitarman512's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvard_Grieg View Post
Well you guys were spot on, was able to test with another cable and all issues are gone. Is fiber the only good option for ~30-50ft? Guess it's time to re-fish through the Smurf tube.

Yep, I'm having the same problem just now. I've just got another cable sent from Amazon, supposed to work upto 18ghz for 60 frames HDR. I'm not holding my breath though! BTW You might like a look at my YouTube review -


Gamecock24, DunMunro and Archie72 like this.
guitarman512 is offline  
post #1149 of 1905 Old 07-11-2018, 07:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Edvard_Grieg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman512 View Post
Yep, I'm having the same problem just now. I've just got another cable sent from Amazon, supposed to work upto 18ghz for 60 frames HDR. I'm not holding my breath though! BTW You might like a look at my YouTube review -


Well good to know another brand that doesn't work, the one I had used was https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Cable-50...236_SY340_QL65
Edvard_Grieg is offline  
post #1150 of 1905 Old 07-12-2018, 04:45 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
So was the UK release delayed? I notice there's still no Optoma skill on the UK Alexa store
cslcm is offline  
post #1151 of 1905 Old 07-12-2018, 04:54 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Cable wise, I use this:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/produc...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Expensive, yes, but I got tired of trying to wade through the ****storm of substandard cables.

Note: Change the colour to "2.0" - the white ones aren't good enough for 4k

Last edited by cslcm; 07-16-2018 at 03:55 AM.
cslcm is offline  
post #1152 of 1905 Old 07-12-2018, 05:34 AM
Member
 
guitarman512's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cslcm View Post
Cable wise, I use this:

https // www amazon co.uk/gp/product/B079GP1JP6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Expensive, yes, but I got tired of trying to wade through the ****storm of substandard cables.

The link isn't working, whats the make and model?
Thanks
guitarman512 is offline  
post #1153 of 1905 Old 07-12-2018, 11:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Edvard_Grieg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman512 View Post


The link isn't working, whats the make and model?
Thanks
Try this link https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Edvard_Grieg is offline  
post #1154 of 1905 Old 07-13-2018, 05:44 AM
Member
 
guitarman512's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvard_Grieg View Post

High Speed Active Fiber Optic(AOC) Cable 1.4 [email protected] 4:4:4 10.2Gbps

Hmm... 10.2gbps 4K at 30fps! My cheap cable can do that. Have you tried 60fps with HDR, does it work?
guitarman512 is offline  
post #1155 of 1905 Old 07-13-2018, 06:34 AM
Member
 
RedShift76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman512 View Post
High Speed Active Fiber Optic(AOC) Cable 1.4 [email protected] 4:4:4 10.2Gbps

Hmm... 10.2gbps 4K at 30fps! My cheap cable can do that. Have you tried 60fps with HDR, does it work?
This is the cable I'm using with the UHD51A. Working well so far.

https://smile.amazon.com/DTECH-Fiber...-no-redirect=1
RedShift76 is offline  
post #1156 of 1905 Old 07-13-2018, 07:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Paganmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I'm using a 10 meter RedMere Active High-Speed cable, on copper, and it's working fine. Cost equivalent of $50. Rated for 18Gbps.

Fiber HDMI cables are mad expensive here in Europe.

Edit: and an update on my experiences so far with with UHD51. I ran into another issue whilst trying to watch Altered Carbon on Netflix ([email protected] in HDR) where the right side of the image seemed to occasional lag behind, like straight down the middle you could see a tear. Pausing the video you could see the right side of the image vibrating, specially noticeable on subtitles and the Netflix thumbnails (videos posted on this playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...WyshwIdcDGtC3g).
So it's going to an Optoma Service center for checkup. I'm sort of regretting getting the UHD51 now, should've waited for the next shorther throw 4K projector, or at least for the UHD51A to release in Europe. Not having the UHD51 Firmware upgradeable by the user might get expensive in the long run if I have to send it to the service center again, not to mention the few weeks I'm going to have to be without a projector.

Last edited by Paganmoon; 07-13-2018 at 07:56 AM.
Paganmoon is offline  
post #1157 of 1905 Old 07-16-2018, 03:49 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman512 View Post
Hmm... 10.2gbps 4K at 30fps! My cheap cable can do that. Have you tried 60fps with HDR, does it work?
Change the colour to "black". The white ones are older 10.2gbps
cslcm is offline  
post #1158 of 1905 Old 07-16-2018, 10:44 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Just bought UHD51A but..2 things

hello guys,

I initially ordered UHD 65 for $2200. as a nervous buyer that I am, changed it to UHD 51A thinking i could put in the $500 on a screen.

now I am again having second thoughts.
Please do let me know UHD 65 Vs UHD 51A.
i am expected to get my projector this week. I can always call them and change my order.

Second: i am planning 135inch screen. i am looking at silver ticket Vs elite screens. i use in my basement, which can be kept dark. ceiling is white. Choose grey with 1.0 gain or Cinewhite matte???

thanks
djbuddha likes this.
gvshyamk is offline  
post #1159 of 1905 Old 07-19-2018, 09:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvshyamk View Post
hello guys,

I initially ordered UHD 65 for $2200. as a nervous buyer that I am, changed it to UHD 51A thinking i could put in the $500 on a screen.

now I am again having second thoughts.
Please do let me know UHD 65 Vs UHD 51A.
i am expected to get my projector this week. I can always call them and change my order.

Second: i am planning 135inch screen. i am looking at silver ticket Vs elite screens. i use in my basement, which can be kept dark. ceiling is white. Choose grey with 1.0 gain or Cinewhite matte???

thanks
What feature of the UHD65 do you think you'll miss? I bought the UHD51A as my first projector. I ended up RMA'ing it because of some issues with the lamp turning on but the replacement has been great for the last month. I have a 135" Elite Cinegray 3D screen in a light controlled room and really enjoy it.
xo151x is offline  
post #1160 of 1905 Old 07-20-2018, 05:56 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can anyone confirm that the uhd51a that the center line of the lens will the same level as the screen. As in my screen starts 8 inches down from the ceiling so the center of the lens should be 8 inches down from the ceiling. My projector in coming Monday and would like to get as much setup work done as possible.
spiderbyte is offline  
post #1161 of 1905 Old 07-20-2018, 08:31 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thoughts on this an an upgrade from an HD25? Taking a long hard look at it...
bifflog is offline  
post #1162 of 1905 Old 07-21-2018, 08:54 AM
Member
 
spanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Corbett, OR
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bifflog View Post
Thoughts on this an an upgrade from an HD25? Taking a long hard look at it...
I am very pleased with this projector after upgrading form the HD25. I do not use alexa or the built in media app, and had some issues when using the XBOX 1s as a bluray source. I beleve the issues were the xbox and not the projector. I picked up a LG 4k player https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and could not be happier. Picture quality of 4k and hdr is quite remarkable. again very pleased

spanner is offline  
post #1163 of 1905 Old 07-21-2018, 09:10 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner View Post
I am very pleased with this projector after upgrading form the HD25. I do not use alexa or the built in media app, and had some issues when using the XBOX 1s as a bluray source. I beleve the issues were the xbox and not the projector. I picked up a LG 4k player and could not be happier. Picture quality of 4k and hdr is quite remarkable. again very pleased

Thanks for the response, my next question was going to be is use of Alexa interface optional, because I don't exactly desire to use it. Seems it is optional if you don't use it.
bifflog is offline  
post #1164 of 1905 Old 07-22-2018, 03:03 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by xo151x View Post
What feature of the UHD65 do you think you'll miss? I bought the UHD51A as my first projector. I ended up RMA'ing it because of some issues with the lamp turning on but the replacement has been great for the last month. I have a 135" Elite Cinegray 3D screen in a light controlled room and really enjoy it.
I ended up buying the sliver ticket grey screen. I also ordered samples for cine grey/3d/5d. So that I can compare.

I am worried about the details in 4k and black levels with UHD51A Vs UHD65. they are difff by the size of the DLP chip. I'll see how this turns up. this is my first huge investment, I want to make it right.

Thank you for your input.
gvshyamk is offline  
post #1165 of 1905 Old 07-22-2018, 10:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Ken McPherson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 388
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvshyamk View Post
I ended up buying the sliver ticket grey screen. I also ordered samples for cine grey/3d/5d. So that I can compare.

I am worried about the details in 4k and black levels with UHD51A Vs UHD65. they are difff by the size of the DLP chip. I'll see how this turns up. this is my first huge investment, I want to make it right.

Thank you for your input.
Your question was thoroughly discussed earlier in this thread, including comparative pictures. Unfortunately, all of the people who could speak knowledgeably to your question have moved on.

My less informed answer (based on my memory of the previous conversations) would be that unless you are using a magnifying glass, UHD51A Vs UHD65 pixel detail is pretty much indistinguishable. I use a 1.0 high contrast grey screen, and my UHD51a is much brighter/blacks better than my old W1070.

No regrets.
DunMunro likes this.

Last edited by Ken McPherson; 07-22-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Ken McPherson is offline  
post #1166 of 1905 Old 07-22-2018, 11:04 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 868
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McPherson View Post
I use a 1.0 high contrast grey screen, and my UHD51a is much brighter/blacks better than my old W1070.
Can you do a side-by-side comparison for us? Because I'm skeptical, the w1070 measures substantially better in native contrast, around 1800:1 or so, or more than double, which should certainly be noticeably better. Assuming you have the lamps the same age or calibrated to output the same white level, of course.
BattleAxeVR is offline  
post #1167 of 1905 Old 07-23-2018, 12:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Paganmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAxeVR View Post
Can you do a side-by-side comparison for us? Because I'm skeptical, the w1070 measures substantially better in native contrast, around 1800:1 or so, or more than double, which should certainly be noticeably better. Assuming you have the lamps the same age or calibrated to output the same white level, of course.
I also went from a W1070, (to a UHD51 though) and I agree with Ken, the picture was significantly brighter after the change, even in eco mode. It actually felt like it had more depth as well.
I can't do a direct side by side right now, as the UHD51 is at a service center and the W1070 is in it's box, but when I get the Optoma back I could try to do a comparison, but it'd be a "by eye" one, as I do not have any equipment for testing, and it wouldn't be perfectly aligned, and with the exact same input as I'd have to draw new cables and so on, and the W1070's lamp is at 4500 hours, (I do have a new lamp in a box though), so really, it'd be a **** comparison

Hopefully Ken can do one, but it definitely felt like a brighter and better picture on 1080p input than the W1070.
Paganmoon is offline  
post #1168 of 1905 Old 07-23-2018, 05:02 AM
Member
 
guitarman512's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAxeVR View Post
One of 3D's biggest problems is that it's typically shackled by 24 fps source material, which is just painful and destroys the illusion. 24 fps's shortcomings are twice as bad in 3D. When people whine about 3D being uncomfortable, when what they're really complaining about, in my opinion, is low framerate 3D, which I agree is awful.

One possible eventual workaround for the UHD51's lack of FI with 3D would be to use a PC, if there were a 1080p 60hz frame sequential mode (120hz 3D Ready in FHD), which could be added via firmware update if Optoma wanted to.

If they could add normal FI (to the HD33 standard) via a firmware update this PJ would be unbeatable. I'm really puzzled why they didn't do it in the first place, especially as its available in the 4K mode. If Tuan could find out if this is possible I would send it in for an upgrade. I miss it so much.
ryudoadema and BattleAxeVR like this.
guitarman512 is offline  
post #1169 of 1905 Old 07-23-2018, 09:35 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 868
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paganmoon View Post
I also went from a W1070, (to a UHD51 though) and I agree with Ken, the picture was significantly brighter after the change, even in eco mode. It actually felt like it had more depth as well.
I can't do a direct side by side right now, as the UHD51 is at a service center and the W1070 is in it's box, but when I get the Optoma back I could try to do a comparison, but it'd be a "by eye" one, as I do not have any equipment for testing, and it wouldn't be perfectly aligned, and with the exact same input as I'd have to draw new cables and so on, and the W1070's lamp is at 4500 hours, (I do have a new lamp in a box though), so really, it'd be a **** comparison

Hopefully Ken can do one, but it definitely felt like a brighter and better picture on 1080p input than the W1070.
How many lamp hours were on the w1070 it was being compared to? Contrast ratios typically go up with brighter lamp settings too, for some reason, according to most DLP projector reviews I've read. It's definitely weird, I don't understand it.

I'm not disputing that the overall image quality of the UHD51 isn't better than a projector that came out six years ago and costs a third of the price, but it should be. I've also seen side by side comparisons between the w1070 and the 2050A and that one absolutely destroys it in terms of contrast. But it also measures higher, objectively, too (2300:1 to 1800:1 or 1600:1, I can't remember, it depends on the site and settings). I just wonder to what extent reducing a projector to a number is actually accurate. I'm a big fan of DLPs but many reviews state it's better to stick with 1080p DLPs with substantially higher native contrast ratios.

Regardless, this is academic, if you're happy with the image quality, then that's all that matters. I prefer to go by numbers since I can't see these projectors in action. If I could I might have bought one, although no FI in 3D would be a dealbreaker. I won't watch 3D without it so the 3D feature would be pointless for me.
BattleAxeVR is offline  
post #1170 of 1905 Old 07-23-2018, 10:30 AM
Senior Member
 
Ken McPherson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 388
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAxeVR View Post
Can you do a side-by-side comparison for us? Because I'm skeptical, the w1070 measures substantially better in native contrast, around 1800:1 or so, or more than double, which should certainly be noticeably better. Assuming you have the lamps the same age or calibrated to output the same white level, of course.
Sorry, my w1070 is no longer available.

I had about 1000 hours on an authentic w1070 bulb when I replaced it with the UHD51a, and I can assure you, the increase in brightness was immediately obvious, along with much richer colors, particularly in 3d. One of my biggest worries in purchasing the UHD51a was that there would be a drop in perceived contrast compared with the w1070, but that was not the case.

I have found the UHD51a to be a big upgrade over w1070 in every way.
Paganmoon and BattleAxeVR like this.
Ken McPherson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
blu ray , hdcp , hdmi , hdmi 2.0 , projector

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off