Optoma UHD51A: 4K HDR 3D DLP Projector... w/ Alexa - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 582Likes

post #1261 of 1807 Old 08-25-2018, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Alright, I was involved in the beginning of this thread but have been out of the country for a couple of months.

what's the verdict?

I currently have the BENQ W1070 (I think, whatever the shortest non ST one was) and have similar needs for a new projector. How's the IQ stack against the BENQ?

I remember hearing about the contrast being low, but reviews on PJCentral were really good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1807 Old 08-25-2018, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpmoon View Post
I haven't seen this mentioned here, so am wondering whether we're all on the same page:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...color-settings
RGB is broken (def widnows). You need to dig into NVIDIA controll Panel settings to change from RGB.

Windows desktop is SDR hence it has lot of issue with when Desktop is set to HDr.
post #1263 of 1807 Old 08-25-2018, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmus View Post
RGB is broken (def widnows). You need to dig into NVIDIA controll Panel settings to change from RGB.

Windows desktop is SDR hence it has lot of issue with when Desktop is set to HDr.
Not sure that helps anybody, or yourself. Sounds like an opinion; meanwhile, the function is there, it's relatively new, and I'm on an early release version of Windows (Insider Preview fast track) if that makes a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1264 of 1807 Old 08-26-2018, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxsdesdexxx View Post
I'll assume that I am the only one with this problem, but if not I'd like to provide more information about my set-up. My set-up:

I have a 25 ft monoprice cable directly connected from the projector to my Onkyo

TX-NR656 receiver's MAIN port. The receiver has several HDMI 2.2 ports. I watch 4K content on my Roku Premiere+ which is connected to one of the HDMI 2.2 ports and my AppleTV 4K which is connected to a different HDMI 2.2 port; the screen going black happens on both devices.

The monoprice cable is this:

Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable, 4K @ 60Hz, HDR, 18Gbps, 28AWG, YUV 4:4:4, 25ft, White

the HDMI cables that connect the device(s) to the receiver are also the Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cables found above but they are 6 ft in length.

It’s your cable. I bought the same one and had the same problem on my LG TV.

I replaced it with the (unfortunately) far pricier Optic cable that Monoprice offers.

It’s 15x more expensive but it works.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=21568

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1265 of 1807 Old 08-27-2018, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi,

I have a Couple of Questions. I bought my First 4K projector and WOW. I was using a Epson 2030 and it was due for an upgrade.

My questions are this...

You have to use WiFi to update and WiFi for Alexa? Or am I wrong?

I did run a CAT6 cable to the unit but haven't connected it. Does the LAN port replace a WiFi port? What does hooking up the LAN port do? I don't want to keep moving my WiFi dongle.

Where can you buy and Second WiFi dongle? I can't even find a part number.

How do you Calibrate the Projector? I see alot of people talking about it, but not sure how to do it never Calibrated my last projector (I know I know lol). Is there a List of setting to set the projector to for the best picture? I know every projector and setup is different. If someone could help me or send a link or link to a video that would be great!

I did a google search for this projector on YouTube no much information out there right now most of the time you find a unboxing or setup video.
post #1266 of 1807 Old 08-27-2018, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Send a message via Skype™ to Tuan
All, we finally passed certification for our Custom Skill, which you can find here - Optoma Advanced SmartProjection

Description
Optoma Advanced SmartProjection is a Custom Skill that allows control of Optoma Alexa Enabled Projectors using Amazon’s Alexa Digital Voice Assistant. No more fumbling around in the dark looking for the remote control. Want to change the Display Mode? Simply say, “Alexa, ask Optoma to change display mode to HDR SIM on living room”. How about changing the HDR Picture Mode? “Alexa, ask Optoma to change Picture Mode to Bright on living room”.
Advanced SmartProjection also supports voice commands for changing PureMotion settings (low, medium, high), Brightness (increase and decrease) and ECO mode (on and off).
Before enabling Advanced SmartProjection Custom Skill, please ensure that you have completed the Optoma Device Registration and Device Setup using the Optoma SmartProjection App, available for iOS and Android or view/download the Alexa Setup Guide at http://www.optoma.com/support/download.

Required hardware: Optoma Smart Home Enabled Projector (UHD51A, UHD51ALV, UHL55)

**Display Mode commands (can only be used with non-HDR content)**

Alexa, ask Optoma to change display mode to HDR SIM on living room.
Alexa, ask Optoma to change display mode to Cinema on living room.
Alexa, ask Optoma to change display mode to Bright on living room.
Alexa, ask Optoma to change display mode to Reference on living room.
Alexa, ask Optoma change display mode to Game on living room.
Alexa, ask Optoma to change display mode to ISF Day on living room.
Alexa, ask Optoma to change display mode to ISF Night on living room.

**HDR Picture Mode Commands (for use with HDR content)**

Alexa, ask Optoma to change picture mode to Bright on living room.
Alexa, ask Optoma to change picture mode to Standard on living room.
Alexa, ask Optoma to change picture mode to Detail on living room.
Alexa, ask Optoma to change picture mode to Film on living room.

**PureMotion Commands**

Alexa, ask Optoma to change PureMotion to Low on living room.
Alexa, ask Optoma to change PureMotion to Medium on living room.
Alexa, ask Optoma to change PureMotion to High on living room.
Alexa, ask Optoma to change PureMotion to Off on living room.

**Brightness Mode Commands**

Alexa, ask Optoma to Increase Brightness on living room.
Alexa, ask Optoma to decrease Brightness on living room.

**ECO Mode**

Alexa, ask Optoma to change ECO to On on living room.
Alexa, ask Optoma to change ECO to Off on living room.

**Conversional Mode Phrase Examples (using any of the phrases below will result in Alexa asking follow-up questions to help determine the desired setting)**

Alexa, ask Optoma to change HDR
Alexa, ask Optoma to change Picture Mode
Alexa, ask Optoma to change PureMotion
Alexa, ask Optoma to change Brightness
Alexa, ask Optoma to change ECO
post #1267 of 1807 Old 08-27-2018, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have the Optoma UHD51 Heimkinoraum HDR optimized edition and at fist I was very happy because it was so silent. In ECO mode it was almost totally silent. But after about 60 lamp hours it started having this annoying buzzing/electronic sound even in eco mode. The fan is silent, but the projector is buzzing. Not super loud, but enough to be disturbing in quieter scenes and the sound just makes me crazy. Anyone else experience this with your uhd51/51a projector? Or can you just hear the fan? Thanks!
post #1268 of 1807 Old 08-27-2018, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The built in media player sounds good, but will I be able to feed the audio to my receiver for the immersive sound? I see that there is "Audio Out" that could possibly be used to feed the audio signal to my receiver but it would require running an additional audio cable backwards to my receiver. If I use this projector mounted to my theater ceiling, its more likely that I will be feeding it signal via my AVR vs feeding my AVR sound via this PJ.
post #1269 of 1807 Old 08-27-2018, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Why is Optoma forcing us to say "ask Optoma to"? It's a completely needless addition to the command structure with no purpose other than "branding". It already takes Alexa 2-3 attempts using "Alexa, change input to HDMI 1 on <projector name>" before it works. Adding additional words will just add to Alexa's flakiness! Give us fewer words, not more!

This is the kind of unnecessary inconsideration which will make me less likely to buy another Optoma in the future!
ryudoadema likes this.

Last edited by Ken McPherson; 08-27-2018 at 10:17 AM.
post #1270 of 1807 Old 08-27-2018, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi Tuan, any chance we could get a firmware update to help pure motion/motion interpolation and make it smoother? one of main reasons I bought this projector was for that feature but even with it on low, med, or high there is alot of jerky motion/stuttering from it
post #1271 of 1807 Old 08-27-2018, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 278
post #1272 of 1807 Old 08-27-2018, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
All, we finally passed certification for our Custom Skill, which you can find here - [URL="https://www.amazon.com/matthew-ma-Optoma-Advanced-SmartProjection/dp/B079YNQGD9/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-skills&ie=UTF8&qid=1535383458&sr=1-2&keywords=optoma&dpID=51FFWUcbQxL&preST=_SY300_QL 70_&dpSrc=srch"]Optoma Advanced [/INDENT][/I]
All you have to do is get the input lag down on these devices and BAM, I'd buy one and I'm sure a lot of other people would too.
post #1273 of 1807 Old 08-27-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colombiann View Post
The built in media player sounds good, but will I be able to feed the audio to my receiver for the immersive sound? I see that there is "Audio Out" that could possibly be used to feed the audio signal to my receiver but it would require running an additional audio cable backwards to my receiver. If I use this projector mounted to my theater ceiling, its more likely that I will be feeding it signal via my AVR vs feeding my AVR sound via this PJ.
The S/PDIF can only output PCM stereo .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McPherson View Post
Why is Optoma forcing us to say "ask Optoma to"? It's a completely needless addition to the command structure with no purpose other than "branding". It already takes Alexa 2-3 attempts using "Alexa, change input to HDMI 1 on <projector name>" before it works. Adding additional words will just add to Alexa's flakiness! Give us fewer words, not more!

This is the kind of unnecessary inconsideration which will make me less likely to buy another Optoma in the future!
It's a limitation of Amazon's custom skill support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Indy View Post
Hi Tuan, any chance we could get a firmware update to help pure motion/motion interpolation and make it smoother? one of main reasons I bought this projector was for that feature but even with it on low, med, or high there is alot of jerky motion/stuttering from it
What kind of content is jerky/stuttering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellhk View Post
All you have to do is get the input lag down on these devices and BAM, I'd buy one and I'm sure a lot of other people would too.
*sigh*
post #1274 of 1807 Old 08-27-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
It's a limitation of Amazon's custom skill support.
Inaccurate. The operative requirement in the Alexa Skillset is <projector Name>. We wouldn't have been able to say "Alexa, change input to HDMI 1 on <projector name>" for the past several months if it was "a limitation of Amazon's custom skill support".
post #1275 of 1807 Old 08-27-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Inaccurate. The operative requirement in the Alexa Skillset is <projector Name>. We wouldn't have been able to say "Alexa, change input to HDMI 1 on <projector name>" for the past several months if it was "a limitation of Amazon's custom skill support".
That works on the smart home skill. The Custom Skill is slightly different.
post #1276 of 1807 Old 08-27-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
That works on the smart home skill. The Custom Skill is slightly different.
https://developer.amazon.com/docs/as...a-custom-skill
post #1277 of 1807 Old 08-27-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Can you try it without and see if it responds?
post #1278 of 1807 Old 08-27-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Can you try it without and see if it responds?
I'm pleased to say that it does. Thanks.

[Update] Experimenting. In fact, now it seems to work by simply saying, "Alexa, change to HDMI 1".

Last edited by Ken McPherson; 08-27-2018 at 07:05 PM.
post #1279 of 1807 Old 08-27-2018, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Indy

Watching movies or cable. Atleast every 5-10 seconds their is a like a hitch/stuttering. Its least on low setting but still there and defeats purpose of being able to use the higher settings. I personally love the soap opera effect that motion interpolation/pure motion settings can give but unfortunately right now there is just too much jerkiness/stutter from the setting. I have a feeling I am only one of not many here who actually prefer to use pure motion so there may not be a lot of people who have complained about it. I know in the past some tvs have had updates to make that sorta thing smoother and improved so I'm hoping its something that can be patched/improved with a firmware update.
post #1280 of 1807 Old 08-27-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Indy

Watching movies or cable. Atleast every 5-10 seconds their is a like a hitch/stuttering. Its least on low setting but still there and defeats purpose of being able to use the higher settings. I personally love the soap opera effect that motion interpolation/pure motion settings can give but unfortunately right now there is just too much jerkiness/stutter from the setting. I have a feeling I am only one of not many here who actually prefer to use pure motion so there may not be a lot of people who have complained about it. I know in the past some tvs have had updates to make that sorta thing smoother and improved so I'm hoping its something that can be patched/improved with a firmware update.
FYI, I always use pure motion for movies, and have not encountered any of the stuttering you describe, even on high.
post #1281 of 1807 Old 08-27-2018, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
FYI, I always use pure motion for movies, and have not encountered any of the stuttering you describe, even on high.
I will do some more testing tonight but I see it on all movies and its not subtle. Wonder if it has to do with what refresh using, I mainly use Xbox One X which is sending 60fps and is HDR most of the time as well. What are you normally watching your movies on and the fps output?
post #1282 of 1807 Old 08-27-2018, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
I will do some more testing tonight but I see it on all movies and its not subtle. Wonder if it has to do with what refresh using, I mainly use Xbox One X which is sending 60fps and is HDR most of the time as well. What are you normally watching your movies on and the fps output?
I initially had the same problems using the Xbox One S. Problem solved now and the picture is super smooth, with motion processing set to low. This was the fix:

4K bluray:
Resolution set to 4K
Allow HDR
Do not allow 24hz
Remove check in allow 4:2:2
Set color depth to 10 bit
It will now output 60 hz 4:2:0 10 bit to the projector. Smooth and great looking.

1080p bluray:
Force resolution to 1080p
Allow 24hz
Set color depth to 8 bit
It will now output 24hz 4:2:2 8 bit. Super smooth.

I have not tried streaming - but these settings work for me. Kind of annoying that you have to set this when changing media - but I works. Any other setting, e.g. 10bit or allow 4k when watching normal 1080p bluray gives stuttering.

Really hope this works for you. I have spent sooo many hours trying to wotk this out. Not an expert, but I think the jittering starts when you output a signal that is not on the supportet list of the projector (check the manual). It works, but either the Xbox or the projector tries to convert the image and the jittering follows.
ryudoadema likes this.
post #1283 of 1807 Old 08-28-2018, 06:02 AM

Not sure if I have an issue or not. But how do you tell if the HDR is working on this Projector?

My setup

Nvidia Shield > Onkyo TX-NR676 > Optoma UHD51A

Cable from Onkyo to Optoma:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cable from Nvidia to Onkyo

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Testing with Youtube videos I don't have a 4k player I have 300 down internet service

I go into Image Settings HDR is grayed out.

Under Dynamic Range HDR is set to auto and HDR picture Mode is grayed out.

What did I do wrong? or am I missing a setting?

Thanks
post #1284 of 1807 Old 08-28-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Roku Ultra. 2160p 60 HDR reported by UHD51a. Netflix, Prime, Plex for films. Zero stuttering even on high.
post #1285 of 1807 Old 08-28-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickinflorida View Post
Not sure if I have an issue or not. But how do you tell if the HDR is working on this Projector?
Menu (upper right button on remote) > Info.
post #1286 of 1807 Old 08-28-2018, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Roku Ultra. 2160p 60 HDR reported by UHD51a. Netflix, Prime, Plex for films. Zero stuttering even on high.

I stream all my movies as well. I have noticed it whether using Xbox One X or PS4 Pro. I will try out a firestick tonight and see if notice it using that to stream. Both Xbox One X and PS4 Pro are outputting 2160p 60fps HDR as well so not sure why I'm getting the stuttering and you are not. Its most noticeable on panning scenes, there is one in Avengers Infinity War on the plains before battle in Wakanda that is close up pan of captain america and black widow and it stutters on that pan everytime. Sometime worse than other times but always atleast a little. What are all your projector settings when using Roku?
post #1287 of 1807 Old 08-28-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Miller View Post
It’s your cable. I bought the same one and had the same problem on my LG TV.
I use Monoprice certified cables (8' thru 40') in my setup (UHD51a/Vizio P-50") and they all work quite well. Could be a single bad cable versus a problem with Monoprice cables as a whole.
post #1288 of 1807 Old 08-28-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I stream all my movies as well. I have noticed it whether using Xbox One X or PS4 Pro. I will try out a firestick tonight and see if notice it using that to stream. Both Xbox One X and PS4 Pro are outputting 2160p 60fps HDR as well so not sure why I'm getting the stuttering and you are not. Its most noticeable on panning scenes, there is one in Avengers Infinity War on the plains before battle in Wakanda that is close up pan of captain america and black widow and it stutters on that pan everytime. Sometime worse than other times but always atleast a little. What are all your projector settings when using Roku?
Can you give me exact time mark for stuttering in Avengers Infinity War? I'll check it tonight and give results along with projector settings.
post #1289 of 1807 Old 08-28-2018, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
I use Monoprice certified cables (8' thru 40') in my setup (UHD51a/Vizio P-50") and they all work quite well. Could be a single bad cable versus a problem with Monoprice cables as a whole.
overall I have very good luck with Monoprice cables - they are great.

Where things seem to run off the rails, so to speak, is any long run of a convention HDMI cable. The directional, fiber HDMI cables, in my experience, have worked a lot better.

They have the downside of being very pricey... reliable... but pricey.

So on my shorter runs I'm using Monoprice almost exclusively and have no issues whatsoever.
post #1290 of 1807 Old 08-28-2018, 03:19 PM

I can't hdr to turn on its grayed out.

What do you think is wrong?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickinflorida View Post
Menu (upper right button on remote) > Info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
blu ray , hdcp , hdmi , hdmi 2.0 , projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page