Optoma UHD51A: 4K HDR 3D DLP Projector... w/ Alexa - Page 51 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 582Likes

post #1501 of 1807 Old 12-03-2018, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpurdue99 View Post
So it does display below the lens when inverted on the ceiling?
All home theater projectors have a > 100%* offset, for exactly this reason. There are a couple handheld pico laser projectors which have a 0% offset, so the center of the lens is the center of the image. Honestly I don't see how that's useful except in very rare situations.

Typically you want the projector to now obstruct your viewing angle. Actually I'd say virtually always you'd want that. Having a sub-100% offset could be useful in some situations though, like installing the projector on a beam which is a bit lower than the top of the screen. So sitting down you wouldn't see the projector in your line of sight, but there are room layouts where having 115% or above lens offset is restricting. I think the default is 105%

NB I looked it up recently, the way they calculate "offset" here is wrong, but it is the way it is. A 0% offset would be lens center = image center, and a +50% offset would be lens center = image top (or bottom, if sitting on a table upright). Apparently some people can't add.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1807 Old 12-03-2018, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Anyone get FI to work with 3D...Specs say it works with 3D...
post #1503 of 1807 Old 12-03-2018, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Anyone get FI to work with 3D...Specs say it works with 3D...
Nope, same old, same old. However, FI supposedly does work in 3d 1080p 24 with new uhd51alv. Perhaps they found a way to activate it on uhd51a in an upcoming firmware update? Otherwise, just another typo. Sure would be nice, though.

@Tuan : Can you clear this up? The PureMotion specs on UHD51a now reads
Quote:
PureMotion - Using sophisticated frame-interpolation technology, advanced motion control processing eliminates motion blurring or image judder, even in high-speed action sequences. PureMotion works in both 2D and 3D and is optimized for 1080p24.
https://www.optoma.com/us/product/uhd51a/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1504 of 1807 Old 12-03-2018, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McPherson View Post
Nope, same old, same old. However, FI supposedly does work in 3d 1080p 24 with new uhd51alv.
@Ken McPherson can you direct me to a thread in the uhd51alv forum that states this. My understanding is that they both do not support FI in 3D. Thanks.
post #1505 of 1807 Old 12-03-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
@Ken McPherson can you direct me to a thread in the uhd51alv forum that states this. My understanding is that they both do not support FI in 3D. Thanks.
I was going by what Tuan said, early on. Catching up on the thread, I now see 3d FI doesn't work on the uhd51alv either. I wish @Tuan would clarify!
post #1506 of 1807 Old 12-04-2018, 05:45 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Nope, same old, same old. However, FI supposedly does work in 3d 1080p 24 with new uhd51alv. Perhaps they found a way to activate it on uhd51a in an upcoming firmware update? Otherwise, just another typo. Sure would be nice, though.

@Tuan : Can you clear this up? The PureMotion specs on UHD51a now reads

https://www.optoma.com/us/product/uhd51a/
Ken,

If not mistaken Tuan already confirmed somewhere else in this thread that the UHD51(A) does not support FI for 3D since the MEMC can't handle it. At least that's what I remember off the top of my head.

Mike

Sony XBR-75X940E (75XE9405) | Sony XBR-55X9305E (55XE9305) | Sony VPL-HW55ES | Optoma UHD51 | OPPO UDP 203 + 103D | Denon X4200W + PMA-520AE (Atmos Front) | 2 x Apple TV 4K | 2 x JBL Northridge E80 - JBL Northridge E150P/230 - 2 x ELAC B5 - 4 x ELAC A4 - ELAC Uni-Fi UC5
post #1507 of 1807 Old 12-04-2018, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

On 10/05/18, @Tuan confirmed again that FI does work with Frame-packed 3D.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post56911216
================================================== =============
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob
@Dave in Green , that's a new statement then as @Tuan said it doesn't exist for 3D for the UDH51a, and they have no plans to include it in future firmware release. This quote from @Tuan on 7/27/18: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post56548962
"Spoke to my PM. Frame interpolation in 3D is not possible as the MEMC processor is used to handle frame-packed 3D content and unable to enable FI so its not something we can add later via firmware."
Asked my PM again about it, he says the MEMC does interpolation with framepacked 3D.
================================================== ==============
I asked the reviewer at ProjectorCentral.com to confirm. He said they would check into it, but he has not responded after several weeks. The marketing material for the 51A and 51ALV states that FI works for both 2D and 3D. I have PM'd @Tuan , but he now simply ignores me...
MBullen likes this.
post #1508 of 1807 Old 12-04-2018, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3578 Post(s)
Liked: 2767
Quote:
... I have PM'd @Tuan , but he now simply ignores me...
Tuan hasn't posted on the forum in three weeks.
post #1509 of 1807 Old 12-04-2018, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Tuan hasn't posted on the forum in three weeks.
Most likely working on getting ready for CES. Still bugs me, though. If FI works, then why is it greyed out during 3D as many of you have confirmed.
post #1510 of 1807 Old 12-04-2018, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
On 10/05/18, @Tuan confirmed again that FI does work with Frame-packed 3D.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post56911216
================================================== =============
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob
@Dave in Green , that's a new statement then as @Tuan said it doesn't exist for 3D for the UDH51a, and they have no plans to include it in future firmware release. This quote from @Tuan on 7/27/18: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post56548962
"Spoke to my PM. Frame interpolation in 3D is not possible as the MEMC processor is used to handle frame-packed 3D content and unable to enable FI so its not something we can add later via firmware."
Asked my PM again about it, he says the MEMC does interpolation with framepacked 3D.
================================================== ==============
I asked the reviewer at ProjectorCentral.com to confirm. He said they would check into it, but he has not responded after several weeks. The marketing material for the 51A and 51ALV states that FI works for both 2D and 3D. I have PM'd @Tuan , but he now simply ignores me...

Quote:
Most likely working on getting ready for CES. Still bugs me, though. If FI works, then why is it greyed out during 3D as many of you have confirmed.

Thanks for the update Bob, didn't see Tuan's 2nd reply about asking his PM again.

I also don't understand why FI is greyed out while running 3D. Besides that I am not unhappy about the 3D quality of this projector, especially compared to my Sony 55ES which always showed some flavour of ghosting.

Unfortunately Tuan has a bad habit of disappearing after a new product has launched

Mike

Sony XBR-75X940E (75XE9405) | Sony XBR-55X9305E (55XE9305) | Sony VPL-HW55ES | Optoma UHD51 | OPPO UDP 203 + 103D | Denon X4200W + PMA-520AE (Atmos Front) | 2 x Apple TV 4K | 2 x JBL Northridge E80 - JBL Northridge E150P/230 - 2 x ELAC B5 - 4 x ELAC A4 - ELAC Uni-Fi UC5
post #1511 of 1807 Old 12-04-2018, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
on the UHD51ALV I recall Tuan saying it works but is locked to Low, or was it someone else that said that? I'm going to try to find the post.

Hmm, but if I recall, I think someone else refuted it later. It's strange as hell there can't be a straight answer about it from Optoma, it should be pretty easy to clear up you'd think.
post #1512 of 1807 Old 12-04-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBullen View Post
Ken,

If not mistaken Tuan already confirmed somewhere else in this thread that the UHD51(A) does not support FI for 3D since the MEMC can't handle it. At least that's what I remember off the top of my head.

Mike
He did! But after that post, after the uhd51alv was announced, the spec sheets for both the uhd51a and uhd51alv were changed to say that FI does work in 3D. See the link above.
MBullen likes this.
post #1513 of 1807 Old 12-04-2018, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I suppose it could be locked to Low when in 3D frame-packed mode, to avoid an over-the-top reality show. But even so, why can't we get it verified?
post #1514 of 1807 Old 12-04-2018, 11:22 AM

ok... here's a trip:
from this very thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
Spoke to my PM. Frame interpolation in 3D is not possible as the MEMC processor is used to handle frame-packed 3D content and unable to enable FI so its not something we can add later via firmware.
from the UHD51ALV thread, in reply to @3DBob posting the above quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
That was in mid October, but Tuan didn't answer the follow up questions.

And link to the post on the UHD51ALV thread from a member saying it looks like it does FI in 3D (it's highly anecdotal though)

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post57082974

so... the jurys still out I guess

I don't even do 3D so it's a non issue for me, but I find it quite strange there's so much confusion on the matter.
MBullen likes this.
post #1515 of 1807 Old 12-04-2018, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post
One thing to note about the UHD51A is that Sharpness incorporates UltraDetail. On the UHD60 for example: they are separate settings from one another.
The UHD51A’s Sharpness settings goes from 1 to 15 I believe and I can personally confirm (with comparisons between the UHD51A and UHD60) that UltraDetail can go to 1 but cannot be turned off or totally defeated on the UHD51A unlike the UHD60.
I do believe UltraDetail, like BrilliantColor and other DLP specific features have their time and place when implemented well. I believe some prefer these settings maxed out and that’s fine. For me, on the UHD51A, I wish I could turn UltraDetail off completely if not for all of the time – at least most of the time for me and my various content. BrilliantColor on the other hand I leave at default on the UHD51A because it is implemented well whereas on the UHD60 and its color wheel it is not. On the UHD60, I had to end up turning BrilliantColor down to its lowest setting.
UltraDetail processes the image far more than a "true" 'separate' Sharpness would (at least from what I’ve observed using both the UHD51A and UHD60). I personally prefer UltraDetail off. I do admit that I see the extra sharpness punch it can give the image at times though.
That's interesting, I thought there was a separate setting for the UHD51A since it's missing from the advertisments for the UHD350X. The range was also 1-15 for the UHD350X. Anything above 6 looked unbearable at 1080p.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post
In some true 4K games and DirecTV at 1080i (with bandwidth starved encoding) images with pixel thin, sharp edges at angles with repeating patterns (think mini blinds in windows, roof tops, fences, sharp corners with high contrast, tree limbs against clear sky, etc.) the UltraDetail can add too much haloes, false contouring, posterizing, quantization noise and/or moiré patterns to the image that isn’t actually in the image itself. At least for my taste. These are extreme examples that bring out the visual issues I can have with UltraDetail. Other affected areas of the image are far less noticeable to the eye.
I’ve asked in previous threads regarding firmware, bug fixes, feature requests, etc. that Sharpness on the UHD51A be given a ‘0’ setting that turns UltraDetail complete off. Just the option to turn it off for those of us that don’t want to use it and still allow those that do their full range of settings from 1 to 15. Leave the default at 14 (I believe that’s what it is for most incoming image types).
YMMV
I would love to leave it at the default setting, unfortunately at 1080p it looks horrible for some reason.

The picture with the default settings is jaw-dropping beautiful at 2160p (with and without HDR), especially when considering the price range of these projectors.
At 1080p things look considerably worse than on my previous W1070+ though, which is not what I expected from this to be honest.

Still, I returned the projector to Amazon now and I consider this a defective unit. If it's really defective or Optoma messed up the default settings, no idea.
No matter how much I messed with the image settings I only got it to look decent, with varying quality depending on the scene shown.

Quote:
In Windows, I use 2160p without HDR, because Windows' implementation of HDR is still quite primitive. I use RGB, thus the difference in our results; however, my colors are not washed out and 1080p sources are identical using either Windows or Roku. I suspect the issue is with your choice of settings, rather than any defect within your projector. Or maybe the differences between uhd51a and UHD350X are the issue. I can only tell you the results I get from a uhd51a. Good luck!
No idea to be honest, the output by both Windows and LibreELEC is whatever they choose by default, so I would still put the blame on the projector for not handling the input correctly.
Either way, I returned the unit now and will keep my eyes out for a UHD51 or wait until the new BenQ model arrives.

Still, thanks for the information. It really helped me with testing.

One final question: Does the UHD51 also not have any video mute/blanking option? That's something that I really missed from my previous projector while I was testing the UHD350X.

In case anyone is still interested, these are the default values for the Cinema profile on the UHD350X:

at 1080p:
Brightness: -10
Contrast: 30
Sharpness: 8
Color: 15
Tint: -15
Gamma: Film

at 2160p:
Brightness: 2
Contrast: 2
Sharpness: 14
Color: 14
Tint: 0
Gamma: Film
Ken McPherson likes this.
post #1516 of 1807 Old 12-04-2018, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Note to owners: The 51A's 3D function is completely incompatible with the Sony UBP-X700. The Sony will not send a 3d signal until it has detected a 3d monitor, and the UHD51A will not go into 3d mode until it receives a 3d signal from the Sony. I have contacted Optoma about this, they basically said sorry, call Sony with very little intrest in helping with the problem.
So Im taking the projector back. Not because of the incompatibility, I could easily replace the the bluray player, but because the Optoma customer service was so poor.... Now onto the Epson 5040UB thread.
post #1517 of 1807 Old 12-04-2018, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Brinkley View Post
Note to owners: The 51A's 3D function is completely incompatible with the Sony UBP-X700. The Sony will not send a 3d signal until it has detected a 3d monitor, and the UHD51A will not go into 3d mode until it receives a 3d signal from the Sony. I have contacted Optoma about this, they basically said sorry, call Sony with very little intrest in helping with the problem.
So Im taking the projector back. Not because of the incompatibility, I could easily replace the the bluray player, but because the Optoma customer service was so poor.... Now onto the Epson 5040UB thread.
Have you tried turning on the projector first, then the X700? Are you passing the x700 through a receiver first? If you are try a direct connection. The x700 has an hdmi audio out that can go to the receiver. This is unusual. Although I don't have a uhd51a, I've never had problem with x700 with any Optoma projectors before.
post #1518 of 1807 Old 12-04-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Brinkley View Post
Ok, I just had to test this, as I wrote earlier not really interested in 3D, but I do have a few 3D discs. did the following:

Turned on Projector (UHD51)
Turned on Receiver (Onkyo TX-NR676e)
Set Receiver to BD/DVD input
Turned on Sony X700.
Projector was in the "media" input, so switched to HDMI2
started Mad Max 3D Blu-Ray.
First company logo was in [email protected] (upscaled by Sony X700)
Meny for the movie popped, and was in [email protected] in 3D.
The projector automatically switched to 3D preset.

Picture is taken projected at my wall since I didn't want to pull down the screen (makes a bit of noise and I don't want to wake my neighbors).

And on the bottom part of the Blu-Ray menu, you could see the 3D "double image" effect.

One thing to note. 3D does NOT work if you have Dolby Vision Enabled on the X700 (it even explicitly states this when you turn Dolby Vision on), for 3D to work, you need to manually switch Dolby Vision to off in the Screen Settings menu.
post #1519 of 1807 Old 12-04-2018, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
So. Just got my UHD51A home and plugged it in. Pretty took my W1070 out of the loop and plugged it in in its place. It seems to be doing a lot of re-syncing when I am browsing through Netflix or any other app in the AT2 for that matter. It was fine after a while but then started doing it again. Reminds me of the issues I had with my old receiver and handshake issues causing it to flash for like a minute straight, except now I am getting it constantly. Any ideas?

Also, oddly enough it wasn’t able to play an MKV version of a 4K BD rip but it could the other. The file it could play however was like 40+GB and the one it could was 16GB.

Thanks,
post #1520 of 1807 Old 12-04-2018, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin Wineberg View Post
So. Just got my UHD51A home and plugged it in. Pretty took my W1070 out of the loop and plugged it in in its place. It seems to be doing a lot of re-syncing when I am browsing through Netflix or any other app in the AT2 for that matter. It was fine after a while but then started doing it again. Reminds me of the issues I had with my old receiver and handshake issues causing it to flash for like a minute straight, except now I am getting it constantly. Any ideas?

Also, oddly enough it wasn’t able to play an MKV version of a 4K BD rip but it could the other. The file it could play however was like 40+GB and the one it could was 16GB.

Thanks,
So. Now it seems that every click of my harmony remote is adjusting the volume on the projector. I think it might have been enjoying hitting the enter button in the center of the projector remote which was causing a re-sync on every touch. Make sense to anyone? When I use the atv2 remote app it’s fine, but when I use the harmony remote or app it controls the projector.
post #1521 of 1807 Old 12-04-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
So. Now it seems that every click of my harmony remote is adjusting the volume on the projector. I think it might have been enjoying hitting the enter button in the center of the projector remote which was causing a re-sync on every touch. Make sense to anyone? When I use the atv2 remote app it’s fine, but when I use the harmony remote or app it controls the projector.
Yes. Hitting the enter button on the remote re-syncs the projector.
post #1522 of 1807 Old 12-04-2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:

Thanks,
Netflix is a bit problematic, as it tends to cause the projector (and it does this to some TV's as well), to switch display modes, depending on the trailer it's playing, some trailers are 24hz, some are 24hz HDR, some are in 60/50hz, so the projector constantly switches between, as you're browsing and new trailers start to autoplay.

Wish Netflix would have a setting to turn off autoplay of trailers.

regarding the playback, it could be due to the projector not having HEVC/H.265 support, and the smaller file was coded in that format? I have no experience with playing MKV's on the projector, since my UHD51 (euro version) doesn't have that feature.
post #1523 of 1807 Old 12-06-2018, 02:32 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hello folks,

I'm considering the Optoma UHD51 for my HT room, but I have some questions:

I know there is no horizontal lens shift, and that's OK for me. But I will ceiling mount the projector and the center of the lens is just BELOW the upper edge of the screen,
which means I have to lens shift UP to center the image on the screen. Is that possible?
The lens will be about 15cm BELOW the upper edge of my 110' screen, throw around 4m.

Also, how is this projector performing with 4K/HDR? I will use it with a Panasonic 420, should I use HDR (optimizer ON) or SDR/BT2020?

Also, does this projector have some kind of dynamic iris to achieve the contrast ratio in the specs?

I hope this projector can serve me until I can afford a JVC, perhaps in a year or two. Upgrading my audio system to Atmos take priority for now

Last edited by Nordvarg; 12-06-2018 at 02:36 AM.
post #1524 of 1807 Old 12-07-2018, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi,
Can anyone help me resolve my Home theater setup problem as described below?

I have Optoma UHD 51A projector connected with Onkyo HT-S7800 home theater system (Onkyo HT-R695 AV receiver). This home theater also has Sony 4k Blue ray player x700. In this setup, I cannot view video onto Optoma projector. However, the same setup can view video onto a smart TV. Any suggestion/help in this regard is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nj
post #1525 of 1807 Old 12-07-2018, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy J Troy View Post
Hi,
Can anyone help me resolve my Home theater setup problem as described below?

I have Optoma UHD 51A projector connected with Onkyo HT-S7800 home theater system (Onkyo HT-R695 AV receiver). This home theater also has Sony 4k Blue ray player x700. In this setup, I cannot view video onto Optoma projector. However, the same setup can view video onto a smart TV. Any suggestion/help in this regard is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nj
Hi, what cable are you using between the Onkyo and the Projector, and how long? could be the length and quality of the cable could give you issues maybe?
post #1526 of 1807 Old 12-07-2018, 05:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Does the latest firmware update co9 help the rainbow effect? I have co6. I notice it now with "Survivor" tv at 1080i...using all factory defaults. Also getting only 8bit 4:4:4 and no bits higher with my Tivo ota or Sony x700 my HDMI cable is 15ft and "high speed" only 5 years old,,,,should I go fiber optic?

Wanab
post #1527 of 1807 Old 12-07-2018, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 142
RGB can be 4:4:4 (8-bit) at 60Hz also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Color Depth.PNG
Views:	31
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	2493044  

Display: Optoma UHD51A Projector > Elite Screens R135WH1 ezFrame | 7.2.4 Audio: Onkyo TX-RZ920 9.2ch Network A/V Receiver, M-5010 2ch Amplifier; Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 1000(x10), SuperCube I & 4000 | Sources: PC, DirecTV, Apple 4K, Fire Stick 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Chromecast & Roku Ultras, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro & Nintendo Switch | Remote: Harmony Elite | HDMI: 40' Monoprice DynamicView+4x1 Switch
post #1528 of 1807 Old 12-07-2018, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Optoma UHD51A: 4K HDR 3D DLP Projector... w/ Alexa

I don’t understand the color depths. Is that a display setting (YUV) or is that dependent on the source material? How does that affect RBE? I changed the color depth on my Oppo 203 the other day while watching Guardians of the Galaxy and I couldn’t tell a difference between any of them. Why not just set it to auto and leave it be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Gamecock24; 12-07-2018 at 11:43 AM.
post #1529 of 1807 Old 12-08-2018, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I just purchased this projector with high hopes of finally getting to improve my PQ. I didn’t plan to upgrade my receiver or my HDMI cable yet, but I am trying to play an Amazon 4K Fire stick from my Pioneer VSX-523 receiver (which claims to allow 4K pass-through) and I have a 45’ 1.4 HDMI active monoprice copper HDMI cable running to my projector. The Fire stock says I cannot play 4K content due to my setup. I have 2 basic questions. Displaying HULU live looks SO much worse (than my old BenQ 2050 1080p projector) with pixelation. I am displaying a 150” screen so I want to have the best picture possible but at this size 1080p isn’t awesome and I can see more “flaws” on 4K than I would on a 60” TV.

1) will all 1080p streaming content look this bad even if I upgrade my HDMI cable to fiber optic 2.0? (If so I’ll probably just go back to the old projector until 4K content is standard.

2) will I also need to upgrade my receiver because the “4K-readiness” of my Pioneer is old technology and I will need an upgraded receiver as well?

I know I can plug the 4K Fire stick directly into the projector but then I can’t utlize my surround sound and I can’t stream Vudu from the Fire stick so I still can’t play my movies until I also upgrade my Blu-ray player (I currently have the Sony 6700 upscaling 4K player but it won’t stream 4K content or play 4K movies). My frustration is that I assumed the projector could handle upgrading standard 1080p content and improve the quality, not make it look worse because now the projector can handle so much more therefore “garbage in -> garbage out”

Can anyone give me hope that possibly a 2.0 fiber optic HDMI cable will improve everything or will I be needing to upgrade ALL my equipment, cables, Blu-ray’s, etc.....

Last edited by HD2Blu; 12-08-2018 at 03:13 PM.
post #1530 of 1807 Old 12-08-2018, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1351 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD2Blu View Post
I just purchased this projector with high hopes of finally getting to improve my PQ. I didn’t plan to upgrade my receiver or my HDMI cable yet, but I am trying to play an Amazon 4K Fire stick from my Pioneer VSX-523 receiver (which claims to allow 4K pass-through) and I have a 45’ 1.4 HDMI active monoprice copper HDMI cable running to my projector. The Fire stock says I cannot play 4K content due to my setup. I have 2 basic questions. Displaying HULU live looks SO much worse (than my old BenQ 2050 1080p projector) with pixelation. I am displaying a 150” screen so I want to have the best picture possible but at this size 1080p isn’t awesome and I can see more “flaws” on 4K than I would on a 60” TV.

1) will all 1080p streaming content look this bad even if I upgrade my HDMI cable to fiber optic 2.0? (If so I’ll probably just go back to the old projector until 4K content is standard.

2) will I also need to upgrade my receiver because the “4K-readiness” of my Pioneer is old technology and I will need an upgraded receiver as well?

I know I can plug the 4K Fire stick directly into the projector but then I can’t utlize my surround sound and I can’t stream Vudu from the Fire stick so I still can’t play my movies until I also upgrade my Blu-ray player (I currently have the Sony 6700 upscaling 4K player but it won’t stream 4K content or play 4K movies). My frustration is that I assumed the projector could handle upgrading standard 1080p content and improve the quality, not make it look worse because now the projector can handle so much more therefore “garbage in -> garbage out”

Can anyone give me hope that possibly a 2.0 fiber optic HDMI cable will improve everything or will I be needing to upgrade ALL my equipment, cables, Blu-ray’s, etc.....
I installed a 50' fiber optic cable to replace a 35' 2.0 cable and eliminated a lot of problems I was having. Did not effect the picture quality though. The stream is digital. It's either on or off. So drop outs were my problem. Fiber fixed it.

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
blu ray , hdcp , hdmi , hdmi 2.0 , projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page