Optoma UHD51A: 4K HDR 3D DLP Projector... w/ Alexa - Page 62 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 590Likes

post #1831 of 1857 Old 12-01-2019, 03:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by manome View Post
I found a C09 firmware for the UHD51 (without Alexa)
dropbox.com /s/u2s7gsfo3gineh5/UHD51.zip?dl=0

Can I use this firmware to flash my UHD51A (with Alexa)?
If not: what is the latest firmware version for the UHD51A (with Alexa)?
And one more question: What is the PQUpgrade.bin for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 1857 Old 12-04-2019, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 147
A little disappointing that with the ability to receive firmware updates over the internet that this projector hasn't received any in a long while. Previous projectors that have had to be shipped back in on the other hand have got many.

Display: Optoma UHD51A Projector > Elite Screens R135WH1 ezFrame | 7.2.4 Audio: Onkyo TX-RZ920 9.2ch Network A/V Receiver, M-5010 2ch Amplifier; Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 1000(x10), SuperCube I & 4000 | Sources: PC, DirecTV, Apple 4K, Fire Stick 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Chromecast & Roku Ultras, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro & Nintendo Switch | Remote: Harmony Elite | HDMI: 40' Monoprice DynamicView+4x1 Switch
post #1833 of 1857 Old 12-07-2019, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Can someone with this projector point me in there direction of HDR test patterns for calibration.?
My only inputs for this projector are a standard bluray player and an NVIDIA SHIELD. I have dialed in the USER input using patterns that I believe came from this site years ago..I have a blue filter from an old calibration DVD that works perfectly well with the 1080p SMPTE test pattern I have.
The problem is that I want to do a similar adjustment in HDR mode. The files I have will not trigger this mode and the YouTube app on the SHIELD will not play HDR content.
I'm no ISF technician. I'm just looking for 3 files that will trigger HDR mode in this projector to adjust BRIGHTNESS, CONTRAST and the one SMPTE color bar pattern for adjusting saturation and hue with my blue filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1834 of 1857 Old 12-07-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post
A little disappointing that with the ability to receive firmware updates over the internet that this projector hasn't received any in a long while. Previous projectors that have had to be shipped back in on the other hand have got many.
What features are we missing that a firmware upgrade will bring?
post #1835 of 1857 Old 12-07-2019, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutzulee View Post
Can someone with this projector point me in there direction of HDR test patterns for calibration.?
My only inputs for this projector are a standard bluray player and an NVIDIA SHIELD. I have dialed in the USER input using patterns that I believe came from this site years ago..I have a blue filter from an old calibration DVD that works perfectly well with the 1080p SMPTE test pattern I have.
The problem is that I want to do a similar adjustment in HDR mode. The files I have will not trigger this mode and the YouTube app on the SHIELD will not play HDR content.
I'm no ISF technician. I'm just looking for 3 files that will trigger HDR mode in this projector to adjust BRIGHTNESS, CONTRAST and the one SMPTE color bar pattern for adjusting saturation and hue with my blue filter.
The Youtube app on the Sony UBP-X700 will play 4K HDR videos. I would suspect that other 4K BD players will do the same, but the X700 might be the cheapest way to get 4K HDR ( I use one with a UHD50) and it does a good job of upscaling DVDs and BDs to 4K. The Panasonic UB-420 4K HDR BD player is a good deal now, as well.
post #1836 of 1857 Old 12-08-2019, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I recently purchased the UHD51A and just tried to adjust my picture settings on it. Unfortunately most of the settings like brightness, contrast, etc are greyed out. I tried this under different modes including reference and user. It makes no difference those settings seem to be always greyed out. How does one adjust contrast, brightness etc on this thing?
post #1837 of 1857 Old 12-08-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talontsi96 View Post
I recently purchased the UHD51A and just tried to adjust my picture settings on it. Unfortunately most of the settings like brightness, contrast, etc are greyed out. I tried this under different modes including reference and user. It makes no difference those settings seem to be always greyed out. How does one adjust contrast, brightness etc on this thing?
You're in RGB mode.. in order to adjust those settings you need to be in YUV..
post #1838 of 1857 Old 12-08-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
You're in RGB mode.. in order to adjust those settings you need to be in YUV..
OK how do I change the modes into YUV? Where is this? and Why the hell does Optoma not put anything about this issue in the manual? Nothing under troubleshooting or anywhere in the manual. It talks about adjusting these setting but never says that (if greyed out then....)

Last edited by Talontsi96; 12-08-2019 at 12:07 PM.
post #1839 of 1857 Old 12-08-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK how do I change the modes into YUV? Where is this? and Why the hell does Optoma not put anything about this issue in the manual? Nothing under troubleshooting or anywhere in the manual. It talks about adjusting these setting but never says that (if greyed out then....)
Typically you change to YUV output in your video source devices (computer, BD player, streaming device, etc). Make sure that the UHD51A is in YUV/RGB auto mode (page 25+29 of the manual).

Last edited by DunMunro; 12-08-2019 at 12:42 PM.
post #1840 of 1857 Old 12-08-2019, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I’m having an issue with HDR mode on an Xbox One X. While in the menu, there is no HDR, so it uses User display mode. But when I launch a game with HDR, it switches to HDR mode, which is what I expect. All seems fine up to this point.

The issue I’m having is that sometimes after this transition from non-HDR to HDR mode, HDR mode looks very dim. I’ve found that simply changing the HDR picture mode to any other than the one assigned fixes this dimness and picture goes back to normal.
Anyone else experiencing this issue, or any suggestions on how to fix? This doesn’t happen all the time nor it’s a big deal, but just wondering if there is a way to prevent it from happening
Thanks
post #1841 of 1857 Old 12-09-2019, 12:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisff87 View Post
I’m having an issue with HDR mode on an Xbox One X. While in the menu, there is no HDR, so it uses User display mode. But when I launch a game with HDR, it switches to HDR mode, which is what I expect. All seems fine up to this point.

The issue I’m having is that sometimes after this transition from non-HDR to HDR mode, HDR mode looks very dim. I’ve found that simply changing the HDR picture mode to any other than the one assigned fixes this dimness and picture goes back to normal.
Anyone else experiencing this issue, or any suggestions on how to fix? This doesn’t happen all the time nor it’s a big deal, but just wondering if there is a way to prevent it from happening
Thanks

Yes, this is super annoying, happens to me constantly as it switches to HDR mode.

Quote:
The above is one thing a firmware upgrade could fix, but there's only ever been one official upgrade (for the UHD51A) and that was in August of 2018 I think.

Optoma's been really bad with the support on this one, and the communication has been sub-par as well. I'm sure there still isn't an official answer to if FI is auto-enabled in 3D mode or not, and we've had an Optoma representative in this very thread at times even.
Wesley Hester and MBullen like this.
post #1842 of 1857 Old 12-09-2019, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For me, it would be features and fixes.

Here is my review from post 675 on 5/21/18:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post56220756

Like Paganmoon & Chrisff87 mentioned HDR/SDR switching could be fixed to perform better especially after having to wait at a black screen for so long.

Here are mine which are pretty much the same from post 675 and several that followed noting issues:

Sharpness setting 0 to turn off UltraDetail completely. Currently it does not. Or have the UltraDetail setting separated back out like other Optoma projectors.

Color Settings unwanted change when switching devices of different dynamic ranges i.e. standard/high.
* SDR to HDR - picture looks over saturated because my SDR 0 Color Setting is applied to HDR which should be -24
* HDR to SDR - picture looks dim because my HDR -24 setting gets applied to SDR which should be 0
* Most of the time, moving the Color Setting just one tick fixes the issue; other times I have to actually move the Color Setting to the actual value.

Default high intensity reds still appear blown out. My Color Settings above compensate for it but a better default would be great.

I've given up on fast input (& SDR/HDR) switching on these projectors (any brand). It's kind of necessary hardware-wise. I don't want to see half screen on/off and other anomalies - can live with the seconds of black screen.

Game Mode to lower latency more

Display: Optoma UHD51A Projector > Elite Screens R135WH1 ezFrame | 7.2.4 Audio: Onkyo TX-RZ920 9.2ch Network A/V Receiver, M-5010 2ch Amplifier; Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 1000(x10), SuperCube I & 4000 | Sources: PC, DirecTV, Apple 4K, Fire Stick 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Chromecast & Roku Ultras, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro & Nintendo Switch | Remote: Harmony Elite | HDMI: 40' Monoprice DynamicView+4x1 Switch
post #1843 of 1857 Old 12-09-2019, 04:25 PM

Does anyone have good settings that they could recommend for UHD HDR content. I recently picked up the UHD51A and although I got the 1080P content looking decent, I put Gladiator 4K UHD HDR on last night and though the picture was absolutely horrific. I'd say almost unwatchable. The blacks were grey, the whole picture looked washed out. I sear it was the worse picture I've seen so far. I remember watching this movie on DVD on my last projector Optoma HD80 with an anamorphic lens on a a 2.35:1 screen and was so impressed. This was a total disappointment. I don't know what is happening, perhaps the movie is just a crap reproduction on UHD, maybe my HDMI cable is crap or simply the settings are off, but the way it stands, I was so disappointed in the picture, that I'm ready to box the PJ up and take it back to Costco. Anyone, got any tips on the settings for UHD HDR content?
post #1844 of 1857 Old 12-09-2019, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Does anyone have good settings that they could recommend for UHD HDR content. I recently picked up the UHD51A and although I got the 1080P content looking decent, I put Gladiator 4K UHD HDR on last night and though the picture was absolutely horrific. I'd say almost unwatchable. The blacks were grey, the whole picture looked washed out. I sear it was the worse picture I've seen so far. I remember watching this movie on DVD on my last projector Optoma HD80 with an anamorphic lens on a a 2.35:1 screen and was so impressed. This was a total disappointment. I don't know what is happening, perhaps the movie is just a crap reproduction on UHD, maybe my HDMI cable is crap or simply the settings are off, but the way it stands, I was so disappointed in the picture, that I'm ready to box the PJ up and take it back to Costco. Anyone, got any tips on the settings for UHD HDR content?

On my UHD50:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post58441162.

What is your source device? Did the HDR logo come up on the UHD51A?

Last edited by DunMunro; 12-09-2019 at 04:41 PM.
post #1845 of 1857 Old 12-09-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
On my UHD50:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post58441162.

What is your source device? Did the HDR logo come up on the UHD51A?
The source device is an XBOX One X. I did not see the HDR logo come up on the screen, actually I'm not even sure if HDR was actually on. All I know is the picture looked washed out and really crappy. Basically unwatchable. Grey blacks with no detail to them on top of it.
post #1846 of 1857 Old 12-09-2019, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The source device is an XBOX One X. I did not see the HDR logo come up on the screen, actually I'm not even sure if HDR was actually on. All I know is the picture looked washed out and really crappy. Basically unwatchable. Grey blacks with no detail to them on top of it.

If the content was HDR and the HDR flag did not come up, then that's the problem. There is probably a misconfiguration in your XB1X and/or your HDMI cable is not passing HDR properly.

Your UHD51A should have HDR = auto, to allow it to accept HDR signals.

The info menu in the UHD51A should state the signal that it is receiving.
post #1847 of 1857 Old 12-11-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
If the content was HDR and the HDR flag did not come up, then that's the problem. There is probably a misconfiguration in your XB1X and/or your HDMI cable is not passing HDR properly.

Your UHD51A should have HDR = auto, to allow it to accept HDR signals.

The info menu in the UHD51A should state the signal that it is receiving.
I ran a brand new Optical HDIM to it last night and had still no HDR, then changed some of the configurations on the Xbox One and boom, I hot HDR and Gladiator looked Great. However, when I did the TV specifications in Xbox, it tells me that the projector is capable of HDR10 for movies but not games. Is this projector capable for HDR on 4K games? If so what other settings do I need to change? as for now it appears that the Xbox does not think it can send an HDR signal to it when playing games, only movies.
DunMunro likes this.
post #1848 of 1857 Old 12-11-2019, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
I ran a brand new Optical HDIM to it last night and had still no HDR, then changed some of the configurations on the Xbox One and boom, I hot HDR and Gladiator looked Great. However, when I did the TV specifications in Xbox, it tells me that the projector is capable of HDR10 for movies but not games. Is this projector capable for HDR on 4K games? If so what other settings do I need to change? as for now it appears that the Xbox does not think it can send an HDR signal to it when playing games, only movies.

I've played several games on the PS4Pro in HDR (AC: Odyssey for instance), technically there really isn't any difference for the projector if it's a game or a movie if it's being fed HDR. So if there's a setting for it, it's on the Xbox side of it.

Just know that when playing games on the projector with HDR, it's going to use the HDR preset and you won't be able to switch to a game preset (or any other for that matter).
DunMunro likes this.

Last edited by Paganmoon; 12-11-2019 at 12:00 PM.
post #1849 of 1857 Old 12-11-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paganmoon View Post
I've played several games on the PS4Pro in HDR (AC: Odyssey for instance), technically there really isn't any difference for the projector if it's a game or a movie if it's being fed HDR. So if there's a setting for it, it's on the Xbox side of it.

Just know that when playing games on the projector with HDR, it's going to use the HDR preset and you won't be able to switch to a game preset (or any other for that matter).
Yeah, perhaps its there somewhere in the Xbox settings. I was referring to the Xbox TV test and what it reported. It reported that "your TV is capable of displaying 4K HDR10 content on movies. The same report said that your TV is not capable of displaying 4k HRD10 content on video games and therefor this is disabled. This is where I find it weird.
post #1850 of 1857 Old 12-11-2019, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Are there any up to date picture setting suggestions? I tried the old one from when they first came out but I think the firmware update that we go messed those setting up. I saw the HDR settings suggestion above so I will try that but I was also hoping for some non HDR options. TIA
post #1851 of 1857 Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Gladiator & Braveheart in 4K both didn't live up to what I thought they would look like compared to my memories of the DVD & 1080p versions back in the day.

Quote:

post #1852 of 1857 Old Yesterday, 09:04 AM

So I attempted to do a calibration of the Optoma using the Xbox one TV Calibration Option. Unfortunately I failed miserably as the "eye closed" and "sun" in the brightness and contrast settings do not show up at all on the projector. Anyone here using the Xbox One for their source? Anyone used it to calibrate your Optoma? Its either the Xbox that is crushing the blacks and whites and therefore those are not visible or its something to do with the projector. I'd love to hear from others that attempted this.
post #1853 of 1857 Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Also, is there an easier way to watch 3D on this projector? I have to select EDID 1.4 to get my Roku 3 to show up as 1080p just so my 3D option will even show up.
post #1854 of 1857 Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So I attempted to do a calibration of the Optoma using the Xbox one TV Calibration Option. Unfortunately I failed miserably as the "eye closed" and "sun" in the brightness and contrast settings do not show up at all on the projector. Anyone here using the Xbox One for their source? Anyone used it to calibrate your Optoma? Its either the Xbox that is crushing the blacks and whites and therefore those are not visible or its something to do with the projector. I'd love to hear from others that attempted this.
It's probably best to calibrate the projector with a direct feed from a high quality source such as a 4K BD player and calibration disk, and then calibrate the Xbox1 output to match.
post #1855 of 1857 Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM

Quote:
It's probably best to calibrate the projector with a direct feed from a high quality source such as a 4K BD player and calibration disk, and then calibrate the Xbox1 output to match.
I don't have a different 4KBD player and everything I've read and seen indicates that after the latest updates, the Xbox BD player is actually quite good, So I see no need to buy another player. Also, If the XBOX itself is crushing the blacks, then calibrating it on a different source (like a new BD Player) will not solve the crushing blacks problem on the Xbox.
post #1856 of 1857 Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't have a different 4KBD player and everything I've read and seen indicates that after the latest updates, the Xbox BD player is actually quite good, So I see no need to buy another player. Also, If the XBOX itself is crushing the blacks, then calibrating it on a different source (like a new BD Player) will not solve the crushing blacks problem on the Xbox.
Typically it is the projector that is calibrated from a reference source. I guess you could set the XB1X SDR & HDR output to the default settings and calibrate the projector for best IQ. Things like black levels are going to be very room dependent.
post #1857 of 1857 Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Typically it is the projector that is calibrated from a reference source. I guess you could set the XB1X SDR & HDR output to the default settings and calibrate the projector for best IQ. Things like black levels are going to be very room dependent.
Yeah all this stuff is in the home theatre room so the room dependancy is not really a variable. I was trying to calibrate it using the Xbox one built in TV calibration feature since the Xbox one will be the primary source material to this projector for gaming and movies. The problem is when I use the Xbox calibration feature, I don't see the "eye closed" (black) and "sun" (white) on the screen at all when adjusting the brightness and contrast. Therefore it looks like the blacks and whites are getting clipped. I'm not sure how to correct this or even if its a problem with the Xbox output or the Projector itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
blu ray , hdcp , hdmi , hdmi 2.0 , projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page