Optoma UHD51A: 4K HDR 3D DLP Projector... w/ Alexa - Page 64 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 606Likes

post #1891 of 1905 Old 12-27-2019, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover01217 View Post
I turned off my receiver so it was in pass-through mode, same issue. From what I understand, this projector does upscale.

I'm positive it doesn't upscale. It shows the input it receives only. There's no mention of upscaling in the manual of the UHD51A.

Try bypassing your receiver completely, as by Denon's own manual X4400 does upscaling of any content to 4K.
DunMunro likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 1905 Old 12-27-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paganmoon View Post
I'm positive it doesn't upscale. It shows the input it receives only. There's no mention of upscaling in the manual of the UHD51A.

Try bypassing your receiver completely, as by Denon's own manual X4400 does upscaling of any content to 4K.

The info display will show the incoming signal, which is the issue here, but the projector itself has to upscale to 4K if the signal is lower than 4K, except in 3D mode.
post #1893 of 1905 Old 12-27-2019, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
The info display will show the incoming signal, which is the issue here, but the projector itself has to upscale to 4K if the signal is lower than 4K, except in 3D mode.

yes, but that's not what I'm reading as the issue. If the Projector states 2160P 24hz (or 60hz or anything), it's being fed that, it's not upscaling a 1080p signal to 2160p on it's own (whatever happens internally, with XPR is another thing). If Rover is saying the Projector is showing it in 4K (as in the projector states it's in 4K) then it's receiving a 4K signal.

As soon as I send anything 1080p to my UHD51, it states it's receiving 1080p signal, and I can select the 3D menu, and select any 3D format (SBS/Over-under), even when it's not actually receiving a SBS-3D signal. If it's ever receiving a frame-packaged 3D signal (3D Blu-Ray) it automatically switches to 3D mode.

But again, any 1080p signal at all, will allow for the 3D menu to be accessible, the projector will never Upscale anything. So if Rover cannot select the 3D menu, and his Projector is stating 2160p, the issue is with an intermediate device, most likely the Denon X4400 receiver which according to it's manual does upscale any signal to 4K.

Edit: we might be talking past eachother here though
DunMunro likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1894 of 1905 Old 12-27-2019, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I think I found a solution to the problem I was having on the Xbox one forums. The black screen and 2160P 60Hz HDR problem I was having can be fixed by unchecking the YCC 4:2:2 box and setting the colour to 10bit on the Xbox. Unfortunately, from what I've read Netflix does not support 24FPS while playing on the Xbox... Apparently although Microsoft supplied the information on this integration, Netflix did not utilize it so there is no way at this time to display at 24FPS Netflix content of the Xbox. However, the black screen and display of 2160P 60FPS HDR seems to be fixed with the settings I posted, at least for the time being.
Paganmoon and DunMunro like this.
post #1895 of 1905 Old 12-30-2019, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paganmoon View Post
yes, but that's not what I'm reading as the issue. If the Projector states 2160P 24hz (or 60hz or anything), it's being fed that, it's not upscaling a 1080p signal to 2160p on it's own (whatever happens internally, with XPR is another thing). If Rover is saying the Projector is showing it in 4K (as in the projector states it's in 4K) then it's receiving a 4K signal.

As soon as I send anything 1080p to my UHD51, it states it's receiving 1080p signal, and I can select the 3D menu, and select any 3D format (SBS/Over-under), even when it's not actually receiving a SBS-3D signal. If it's ever receiving a frame-packaged 3D signal (3D Blu-Ray) it automatically switches to 3D mode.

But again, any 1080p signal at all, will allow for the 3D menu to be accessible, the projector will never Upscale anything. So if Rover cannot select the 3D menu, and his Projector is stating 2160p, the issue is with an intermediate device, most likely the Denon X4400 receiver which according to it's manual does upscale any signal to 4K.

Edit: we might be talking past eachother here though
You are correct as far as I'm concerned. I believe my Tivo was upscaling the image since I bypassed the Denon. From what I've determined, the Vudu app for Tivo doesn't support 3D. I'll have to buy a PS4 or find an old Blu Ray player for the Vudu app to work.
post #1896 of 1905 Old 12-30-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover01217 View Post
You are correct as far as I'm concerned. I believe my Tivo was upscaling the image since I bypassed the Denon. From what I've determined, the Vudu app for Tivo doesn't support 3D. I'll have to buy a PS4 or find an old Blu Ray player for the Vudu app to work.
IIRC, the Sony UBP-X700 Vudu app will stream 3D. These can be bought new really cheaply these days.
post #1897 of 1905 Old 12-30-2019, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Are any of you guys able to get the projector to register that it is displaying 10 bit colour from an NVIDIA SHIELD playing a 4K HDR file @23.9 Hz?
If so, what settings are you using?

To be clear, I am setting my SHIELD at YcBPr 4:2:0 @59.9Hz. The native NETFLIX app registers 10bit colour in the projector's INFO tab. However, when I play 4K files in KODI, with refresh rate set to native (usually 23.9Hz), the projector INFO tab says that it is displaying only 8 bit colour. It does this despite going into full HDR mode.

After endless tweaking and reading on the internet, I'm convinced that the SHIELD is simply reporting 12 bit info that the projector is misreporting as 8 bit. I am happy with the picture I am getting and, aside from a few challenging scenes in BR2049, have no banding issues. That should be enough for me...but my OCD is making me a little nuts.
post #1898 of 1905 Old 01-05-2020, 01:18 PM

I picked up a BenQ HT3550 to compare to the Optoma UHD51A that I purchased fairly recently. I must say that after extensive testing the differences are very slight and under certain tweaks to the settings the picture between the two is nearly identical . I'm doing some more comparisons and I must say the Optoma is holding its own. The biggest difference is really the light border and this is the main reason why I wanted to check out the BenQ. The BenQ has the newer chip and a really small light border that is easily absorbed by the black felt screen border.

Last edited by Talontsi96; 01-06-2020 at 12:41 AM.
post #1899 of 1905 Old 01-07-2020, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talontsi96 View Post
I picked up a BenQ HT3550 to compare to the Optoma UHD51A that I purchased fairly recently. I must say that after extensive testing the differences are very slight and under certain tweaks to the settings the picture between the two is nearly identical . I'm doing some more comparisons and I must say the Optoma is holding its own. The biggest difference is really the light border and this is the main reason why I wanted to check out the BenQ. The BenQ has the newer chip and a really small light border that is easily absorbed by the black felt screen border.
I'm considering these two as well as the new Optoma UHD52ALV... Can you provide comparison for the 3D playback if you happen to test that? 3D is very important to me and would love to get a projector that was better at 3D than it is at 4K HDR. Thanks.
post #1900 of 1905 Old 01-07-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cky2354 View Post
I'm considering these two as well as the new Optoma UHD52ALV... Can you provide comparison for the 3D playback if you happen to test that? 3D is very important to me and would love to get a projector that was better at 3D than it is at 4K HDR. Thanks.
I'm running the UHD51A. The UHD51ALV has a different colour wheel that sacrifices colour accuracy for a brighter image. If you don't have a light controlled room or a huge screen, the UHD51ALV will likely be better for 3D since, 3D ends up dimming the image and the image ends up being pretty important. However, dependant on your screen size, gain and room characteristics (dedicated blacked out room), the Benq HT3550 may be just fine. On my limited testing on 3D to my eye the 51A had an edge on the 3550 on my 135" screen and I had to play with the 3550 settings to get things closer in 3D between the two. the 51ALV will have a brighter image the the 51A so I'd say it will probably be better yet if you don't have a light controlled room or a huge screen.
cky2354 likes this.
post #1901 of 1905 Old 01-07-2020, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talontsi96 View Post
I'm running the UHD51A. The UHD51ALV has a different colour wheel that sacrifices colour accuracy for a brighter image. If you don't have a light controlled room or a huge screen, the UHD51ALV will likely be better for 3D since, 3D ends up dimming the image and the image ends up being pretty important. However, dependant on your screen size, gain and room characteristics (dedicated blacked out room), the Benq HT3550 may be just fine. On my limited testing on 3D to my eye the 51A had an edge on the 3550 on my 135" screen and I had to play with the 3550 settings to get things closer in 3D between the two. the 51ALV will have a brighter image the the 51A so I'd say it will probably be better yet if you don't have a light controlled room or a huge screen.
It will be in a dedicated home theater. I might just get the UHD51A right now because it is so cheap. If the 4K picture quality is on par with the HT3550, then I would be happy and this will be good enough till true 4K becomes more affordable.
post #1902 of 1905 Old 01-07-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Quote:
It will be in a dedicated home theater. I might just get the UHD51A right now because it is so cheap. If the 4K picture quality is on par with the HT3550, then I would be happy and this will be good enough till true 4K becomes more affordable.
Not Sure what you mean by "true 4K" Both the UHD51A and the HT3550 reproduce True 4K resolution on the screen. How this image is placed on the screen is not really important to me as long as the content is displayed. Native 4K projectors do not produce more pixels or content than the pixel shifters.

I can not tell you which one to choose the UHD51A or the Ht3550. I picked up both within a $150 difference between the two. As a matter of fact I still have both at my home can't decide between the two as to which one to pick. There are some advantages to both. Overall sharpness from viewing distance is basically the same between the two. The black levels on the HT3550 (With the Iris set to high) are better in some scenes (although the difference is not all that huge), in some dark scenes I find that they are basically identical and in a few scenes I see better blacks from the UHD51A believe it or not. I have been going crazy looking at footage between the two back and forth for hours now. Chromatic Aberration issues are more prominent on the HT3550 than the Optoma. The overall lens quality on the Optoma is better I would say. The Lens on the Optima is a bit sharper such that you can see individual pixels with the Optoma but on the BenQ there seems to be no screen door effect at all but you are looking at a disctance of less than one foot from the screen (6" or so) to see this. The CA issues are only visible from about 2 feet or closer from the screen and sharpness of the lens differences is really only be visible if you: 1. Pause the image look at it from less than 1 foot away and 2 go back and forth between the details that are less than 1" in size (on my 135" screen). Even then the difference in sharpness is minute if at all and dependant on the image (white text is the easiest to spot the differences). I can post some pictures of the differences in sharpness and CA that I have taken if people are interested. Anyway, these two are so close to each other that I have a difficult time choosing myself. I even made a spread sheet with some scoring for my decision making ease and they both came out with the same overall score in my personal scoring system. The Optoma certainly starts up much faster, switches faster between modes and is quieter in operation. The switching and startup times are noticeably different I think I measured the Benq being around 12 seconds slower on start up. The noise difference is not all that huge ( I measured the ambient average noise around the Optoma at 41db and the BenQ around 47 db but this was basically touching the PJ and the further away you are from them the differences get smaller) The BenQ has a much smaller boarder that gets soaked up by the 2" black felt boarder around my screen, the Optoma boarder shoots out on the wall another 6" and given my current setup with White door frames and doors around the screen, this boarder is clearly visible on low light scenes. Like I said, I'm on the fence which one I want to keep. It may boil down to a coin toss in the end for me to finally make up my mind.

Anyway I hope this helps you decide, like I said I still have both at the moment and I don't know which one to return.

Last edited by Talontsi96; 01-07-2020 at 01:23 PM.
post #1903 of 1905 Old 01-12-2020, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 6
What are the chances that this projector receives a Dolby vision update?
post #1904 of 1905 Old 01-12-2020, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutzulee View Post
What are the chances that this projector receives a Dolby vision update?
It's not likely because projectors don't have a fixed peak luminence level; it would require a DV capable source that can optimize it's DV nit levels, like the HDR Optimizer on Panasonic 4K BD players.
crutzulee likes this.
post #1905 of 1905 Old 01-12-2020, 06:48 PM

I ended up choosing the Benq HT3550 over the Optoma UHD51A although it was not a slam dunk and easy decision. The main reason why I ended up choosing the HT3550 was mainly that it did not have the boarder around the screen as well as I found it had more shadow detail. Overall these were very close in performance. The Benq with its DI had better blacks in some scenes and it also comes with a 3 year warranty. I took a long time of side by side comparisons to chose one over the other. Either one is a great home theatre projector. For me in my room, the Benq just inched out over the Optoma.
cky2354 and DunMunro like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
blu ray , hdcp , hdmi , hdmi 2.0 , projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page