Epson 5040/6040/9300 (UK) Power Supply Failure Rate - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Has your Epson 5040/6040 experienced failure of the Power Suply
Yes, my power supply failed 69 49.29%
No, my power supply has not failed 71 50.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 49Likes

post #31 of 242 Old 02-18-2018, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7742 Post(s)
Liked: 7044
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
Look at the latest complaints of Epson 5040UB projectors not powering up in this thread and in the official Epson thread. Still think I'm exaggerating?
I don't know. The failure rate seems to be less than 10% as far as we can ascertain. Still 10% too many but nowhere approaching 'most' or even 'many', in context.

22 good to 5 bad here, but a very small sample. Amazon's stats indicate a much lower failure rate. Impossible to say for certain on these data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 242 Old 02-18-2018, 11:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I'm considering buying one but the power supply issues have me nervous.

Would there be merit to purchasing a UPS or other power conditioner to run in front of it to help mitigate a possible sensitivity it might have to power fluctuations?
post #33 of 242 Old 02-19-2018, 12:17 AM

I've compiled the results so far into a Google Sheet to better organize. Feel free to add new entries and fill in any missing data.

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mC9SGmrgoIpcoOFyOSaGO3lt44BxORFThXs_GJNAddQ

(sorry I can't post links until I get up to 5 posts)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 242 Old 02-19-2018, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Ellis View Post
I'm considering buying one but the power supply issues have me nervous.

Would there be merit to purchasing a UPS or other power conditioner to run in front of it to help mitigate a possible sensitivity it might have to power fluctuations?
I doubt it. Seems that some units have a faulty chipset so if it's going to blow it will blow. Given that the failure rate is a small percentage, and that Epson seem quick to help resolve any issues, I guess it depends on whether you think your unit has a good chipset or a bad chipset. Well to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I've kinda lost track myself. So this being the best value faux-4K PJ in the world, and would blow your HT clean away, you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, dude?
exm likes this.
post #35 of 242 Old 02-19-2018, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
Look at the latest complaints of Epson 5040UB projectors not powering up in this thread and in the official Epson thread. Still think I'm exaggerating?
I going to put this out there, of the 20-30 pieces of electronics ,seems 75% have had some minor issue or another, had to deal with several manf. And I'll say flat out that Epson has by far been, the easiest and most pleasant to deal with. No questions asked , they won't treat you like an idiot, they don't argue with you, they don't try to hide, call em and you'll have a replacement tomorrow. At least with this problem its pretty straight forward. Wait till you get one working,(TVs' too) then next thing ya know you have handshake problems with all your equip, (not epsons problem) thats really gonna get your goat, you'll be back here in short order. I've resigned myself to bring my patience where all this new tech is concerned, for some of you its the journey to perfection that half the fun. Thank God for ya, some of you are really good at dumbing it down, for people like me. Enjoy your Olympics folks.
old corps and kbarnes701 like this.
post #36 of 242 Old 02-19-2018, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgen76 View Post
Brand new unit purchased Jan 5 2018 11hours on bulb, i had the projector running & step into the next room only to come back 2 mins later the PJ power itself off. Last Tuesday notice the same issue when i was setting up my Zappiti player it just power off for no reason & when i turned it on it went into high fan for 30sec. I unplugged power cable for 30mins & tried it again it ran for 2 hours then it shutoff by itself again. I have contacted Epson & they told me it's more then likely power supply issue. So I'm shipping my unit back to be fixed & returned because i don't want a refurbish unit.

This outcome is rather interesting...Im interesting in the theory of refurb vs getting it fixed. Is one actually better than the other? Any advantages?

Mine went out over the weekend after being delivered on Feb 2, 18. This is actually my 2nd projector (different issue)
post #37 of 242 Old 02-19-2018, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96p993 View Post
This outcome is rather interesting...Im interesting in the theory of refurb vs getting it fixed. Is one actually better than the other? Any advantages?

Mine went out over the weekend after being delivered on Feb 2, 18. This is actually my 2nd projector (different issue)
Getting it fixed gives you a known quantity back - your own unit. If it has been calibrated, you don't lose the cal. And you know you won't be inheriting any other problems (eg dust blobs, poor convergence etc) that could potentially affect a different unit. It's just your own machine, but working 100% again.

A refurb could be anything. You've no way to know why it was refurbed in the first place. It could have human and animal hairs inside it. It could have been maltreated by its previous owner, unlike you who will have looked after yours like it was your first born.

But a refurb will come back to you quicker - Epson seem to send them out the same day, whereas a repair is bound to take longer. How important that is only you can say.

On balance, my choice would be for a (speedy) repair but as ever, YMMV.
post #38 of 242 Old 02-19-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
I doubt it. Seems that some units have a faulty chipset so if it's going to blow it will blow. Given that the failure rate is a small percentage, and that Epson seem quick to help resolve any issues, I guess it depends on whether you think your unit has a good chipset or a bad chipset. Well to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I've kinda lost track myself. So this being the best value faux-4K PJ in the world, and would blow your HT clean away, you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, dude?
Haha fair enough. I actually clicked 'purchase' a few hours after posting so we'll see how it goes!
post #39 of 242 Old 02-19-2018, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Haha fair enough. I actually clicked 'purchase' a few hours after posting so we'll see how it goes!
I am sure you will be happy with your decision. In all of this excitement about PSU failures, it's easy to forget that the Epson 5040 is a fantastic unit, with motorised lens and focus, 10 lens memory slots, terrific 'faux-K' and 1080p upscaling. It also represents fantastic value for money, has more lumens than a Greek lighthouse, has very good black levels, throws a superbly sharp image, has probably the best vertical and horizontal shift in the business (making setup so easy), has a replacement lamp cost that is the best deal on the market, and, it seems, is backed by a company which is extremely customer-focused when something does go wrong. Enjoy, but knock on wood occasionally and keep your fingers loosely crossed
post #40 of 242 Old 02-19-2018, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have not had my unit fail. Got it in Q1 2017, was also manufactured in that timeframe.
post #41 of 242 Old 02-19-2018, 12:28 PM

Thanks, glad for the encouragement! I'm excited
kbarnes701 likes this.
post #42 of 242 Old 02-19-2018, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Getting it fixed gives you a known quantity back - your own unit. If it has been calibrated, you don't lose the cal. And you know you won't be inheriting any other problems (eg dust blobs, poor convergence etc) that could potentially affect a different unit. It's just your own machine, but working 100% again.

A refurb could be anything. You've no way to know why it was refurbed in the first place. It could have human and animal hairs inside it. It could have been maltreated by its previous owner, unlike you who will have looked after yours like it was your first born.

But a refurb will come back to you quicker - Epson seem to send them out the same day, whereas a repair is bound to take longer. How important that is only you can say.

On balance, my choice would be for a (speedy) repair but as ever, YMMV.

Epson told me 10-14 days max before i have my unit back so the wait is worth it to me. I shipped it yesterday overnight so i will keep you guys posted on how long it will take since it's power supply issue.
gene4ht, old corps and kbarnes701 like this.

JVC NX5 Panasonic UB820 PC Madvr
Sliver Ticket 120' Cinema white screen
Aggressive 1299 L/C/R/, Volt 10XL x 2 surround, MKII Atmos Modules x 4(Jav's build)
Pioneer Elite SC-LX801 Acurus A125x5
Ported Primate SI 18" HST subs x 2(DIY) V.B.S.S.x 4(MBM)
post #43 of 242 Old 02-20-2018, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

We're still seeing a roughly 20% failure rate from our little poll. But the sample size is very small and those most likely to be drawn to a thread about unit failures are those who have experienced unit failures, so the poll is self-selecting really. Based on the Amazon reviews I'd be inclined to think that the real failure rate is more like 10%

If Epson ever comment on this sort of thing, we'd know for sure. I doubt they'd share failure rates with us though, for obvious commercial reasons. One thing that most are reporting however is Epson's willingness to fix the problem in the best way they can. Failures happen - it's the way the companies respond that really matters IMO.
post #44 of 242 Old 02-20-2018, 07:46 AM

Liked: 15
Wouldn't make sense for them to send out a refurb unit that hasn't been completely checked out, don't ya think.
post #45 of 242 Old 02-20-2018, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by igetittera View Post
Wouldn't make sense for them to send out a refurb unit that hasn't been completely checked out, don't ya think.
You'd expect so. Nonetheless they won't know how the unit has been treated before they got it back, whether it was looked after or abused and so on. Some people are very picky - if they send back an immaculate unit and receive a refurb with even a small cosmetic scratch on it, they may well feel annoyed or aggrieved. Some have reported in the 5040 thread receiving a unit back with animal hair on it. One reported a unit that had a huge thumbprint on the lens. These things aren't deal breakers for many, but when someone returns a brand new unit, only a few weeks old, he may feel that it isn't right that he should be expected to accept a unit that is several months old and with clear signs of use or abuse.

I think this is something each individual has to make his or her own mind up on. In the past I have bought various refurbished items and have always been lucky. The PC I am typing this into at the moment is a factory-refurbished HP machine and it arrived looking just like new and has worked perfectly, so I am not in the least against refurbs personally.
skullnrose and old corps like this.
post #46 of 242 Old 02-20-2018, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 2681
Quote:
If Epson ever comment on this sort of thing, we'd know for sure. I doubt they'd share failure rates with us though, for obvious commercial reasons. One thing that most are reporting however is Epson's willingness to fix the problem in the best way they can. Failures happen - it's the way the companies respond that really matters IMO.
Just a quick FYI...haven't had a response from Epson yet relative to the inquiry I posted earlier. I suspect the comments/questions/suggestions I posed to them are beyond the scope of their "customer support" organization. No doubt these types of inquiries are addressed by senior level management...in meetings...so I'm not surprised a response will take a bit longer.
kbarnes701 likes this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
post #47 of 242 Old 02-21-2018, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Purchased my 5040ub in February of 2017. That one died just over the 30 day mark. They tried to send me a refurb and I refused to accept it, so they sent a new one.

That new replacement died a couple months later, so I decided to gamble on a refurb.

That refurb died a couple months later. They sent another refurb.

That refurb died a couple months later. I then asked what the hell was going on and they admitted they discovered bad circuitry within the power supply. Guaranteed my next refurb would have it addressed.

That refurb made it past the couple months mark, so I decided to have it professionally calibrated by Doug Weil (who did a fantastic job, btw) last week. It died two days ago.

I called and gave them hell. I said they had two choices... either they send me a brand new unit that is guaranteed not to break and refund my calibration cost, or they refund me what I paid for the projector and the calibration cost and I send them the POS back and get something else from another company. They said while they couldn't refund my calibration, they would send me a brand new replacement with two replacement lamps to make up for the calibration cost. I accepted. Should arrive today.

All deaths were the power supply issue. Just plain died each time. No lights... nothing. A couple of times were while I was using it, and the others were dead when I tried to fire them up after being off for days. I love this projector... when it's running. It looks especially beautiful post-calibration.
post #48 of 242 Old 02-21-2018, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 463
"Well I can tell you that I had this projector and it had the power supply issue after watching 5 movies. Just would not power on. It went back to the store and now I have to figure out what to purchase. It was a really good looking projector while it lasted, which was not that long."

Ninjammin
post #49 of 242 Old 02-21-2018, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
You are a brave soul.
post #50 of 242 Old 02-21-2018, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Rows View Post
Purchased my 5040ub in February of 2017. That one died just over the 30 day mark. They tried to send me a refurb and I refused to accept it, so they sent a new one.

That new replacement died a couple months later, so I decided to gamble on a refurb.

That refurb died a couple months later. They sent another refurb.

That refurb died a couple months later. I then asked what the hell was going on and they admitted they discovered bad circuitry within the power supply. Guaranteed my next refurb would have it addressed.

That refurb made it past the couple months mark, so I decided to have it professionally calibrated by Doug Weil (who did a fantastic job, btw) last week. It died two days ago.

I called and gave them hell. I said they had two choices... either they send me a brand new unit that is guaranteed not to break and refund my calibration cost, or they refund me what I paid for the projector and the calibration cost and I send them the POS back and get something else from another company. They said while they couldn't refund my calibration, they would send me a brand new replacement with two replacement lamps to make up for the calibration cost. I accepted. Should arrive today.

All deaths were the power supply issue. Just plain died each time. No lights... nothing. A couple of times were while I was using it, and the others were dead when I tried to fire them up after being off for days. I love this projector... when it's running. It looks especially beautiful post-calibration.
I admire your patience!
gene4ht and old corps like this.
post #51 of 242 Old 02-21-2018, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
I admire your patience!
:-)

Unfortunately for them, it has run out. I apologized to the two individuals I "spoke" to the other night, acknowledging that I knew it wasn't their fault, but $3000 of my money isn't something I take lightly. Somebody is going to feel my frustration.
old corps likes this.
post #52 of 242 Old 03-02-2018, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I just raised the power failure question on the Amazon product page and put a link to this thread. Besides getting more feedback from customers, maybe it will help elevate the issue to Epson. You can find the inquiry here:
https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions...k_ql_ql_al_hza
post #53 of 242 Old 03-03-2018, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Rows View Post
:-)

Unfortunately for them, it has run out. I apologized to the two individuals I "spoke" to the other night, acknowledging that I knew it wasn't their fault, but $3000 of my money isn't something I take lightly. Somebody is going to feel my frustration.
NObody can blame you! I'd be absolutely livid! A total of five machines and the cost of a calibration, not to mention all the time & aggravation sending units back and dealing with customer service for God knows how long. UNACCEPTABLE! I'd probably be contacting my attorney general to get my $$$ back after about #3 . I'm at about 220 hours now and although mine's just recently started the "fan racing at startup thingee" it's still powering up... after about 30 seconds of roaring. Keeping my fingers crossed........

Best of luck!

Ed
Two Rows likes this.
post #54 of 242 Old 03-04-2018, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
This poll is an attempt to find out what percentage of Epson 5040/6040 projectors have experienced the power supply failure extensively reported in the relevant unit thread.

Is *every* buyer of these PJs experiencing failure of the power supply? Or is just a small percentage? Or even a large percentage? It is useful to know since if it is, say, 10%, then 90% of us will be OK and probably won't experience the problem. 10% is still not acceptable of course, but it is difficult to tell in the main thread just how many owners are having problems.

Thanks for completing the poll.

If you wish, it would be useful to indicate in a post in this thread how old the PJ was when the failure occurred, the purchase date and/or how many hours the lamp had on it.
5040 UBE Purchased in the U.S. on January 3, 2018 through Amazon Prime
After 5 or 6 uses and one month later, unit would not turn on. Blue power button light and blue status light light would flash but no fan or opening of the lens. After messing with it for a long time, unit finally turns on but only for a few minutes then shuts off intermediately.
I'm not willing to take a refurbished unit from Epson after paying full price for a brand new model with such low hours. Demanded a full refund from Amazon. Will now look for another brand at around the same price of 3k which I hope will be long lasting. Any suggestions welcome.
post #55 of 242 Old 03-04-2018, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
i think this is an hdmi link firmware issue

I had an epson 5040ub that worked fine for about 15 months. During that time I would guess that I had to unplug and replug it like 4 times total to get it to power on. About 1 month ago I upgraded some stuff and re0wired everything. After that time I had to unplug the projector and replug it for it to turn on.

I called epson and got a replacement. the replacement was doing the same thing. I then totally disabled hdmi link and it does not happen any more. You have to disable HDMI link completely, not just the power control.

they have a firmware bug.

FWIW, The new equipment is Denon X4300h and I have samsung UHD blu-ray, tivo, nvidia shield, and roku premieme +.
The only major think that changed was the receiver so many that is the incompatibilty.

Dennis
post #56 of 242 Old 03-04-2018, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 2681
Quote:
Originally Posted by db999md View Post
I had an epson 5040ub that worked fine for about 15 months. During that time I would guess that I had to unplug and replug it like 4 times total to get it to power on. About 1 month ago I upgraded some stuff and re0wired everything. After that time I had to unplug the projector and replug it for it to turn on.

I called epson and got a replacement. the replacement was doing the same thing. I then totally disabled hdmi link and it does not happen any more. You have to disable HDMI link completely, not just the power control.

they have a firmware bug.

FWIW, The new equipment is Denon X4300h and I have samsung UHD blu-ray, tivo, nvidia shield, and roku premieme +.
The only major think that changed was the receiver so many that is the incompatibilty.

Dennis
I'm a bit confused...can you clarify. During the first 15 month period, you said it was fine and then said it failed to power on 4 times during that same period? Also, at what point in time was the new 4300 introduced? And what AVR did the 4300 replace? And finally, where and how did you "disable the HDMI link?" Thanks for the clarification.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
post #57 of 242 Old 03-04-2018, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
I'm a bit confused...can you clarify. During the first 15 month period, you said it was fine and then said it failed to power on 4 times during that same period? Also, at what point in time was the new 4300 introduced? And what AVR did the 4300 replace? And finally, where and how did you "disable the HDMI link?" Thanks for the clarification.
Sorry I was unclear. During the initial 15 month period it failed to power on a total of 4 times in 15 months. I did not think much of this since it would occur and then not occur for several months. Then, at a time corresponding to the re-wire of my home theater it start occuring every day. I use my projector for a few hours at night usually, and every night for 4 straight days I had to unplug and re-plug. At that time I called and got the replacement from EPSON. The replacement was doing the same thing until I went into the menu system on the projector. Go to "settings" and then "HDMI Link" and disable it completely. I tried disabling just power control but that did not solve the problem. Before I shipped the old one back, I also tried that out with HDMI link turned off and it worked also. The same HDMI cable was going from the receiver to the projector, and there is nothing between the receiver and the projector i.e. splitters, processors, etc. It is a monoprice 25ft 24awg HDMI cable

The old receiver was the Denon AVR X2200W. Now the issue started happening like 1-2 weeks after I changed the receiver so I cannot 100% isolate it to the receiver. Definitely an issue with the epson as there is no way that HDMI link (aka CEC) should prevent a device from being turned on.

Dennis
post #58 of 242 Old 03-05-2018, 08:56 AM

2 Failures So Far

Purchased through Amazon Dec 29 2017 with first power supply failure a month later and second power supply failure a month after. Initial unit had a "growly" fan noise on startup while second unit had a very loud fan with delayed lamp on startup. We're at 6k ft so high altitude mode was enabled. First replacement arrived in 2 days, second is on its way so no complaints with customer service so far.

What's interesting about my units (and seemingly most others' units) is that the power supply did not fail while the projector was in use but instead failed to power on the next time.
post #59 of 242 Old 03-05-2018, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrohlf View Post
What's interesting about my units (and seemingly most others' units) is that the power supply did not fail while the projector was in use but instead failed to power on the next time.
that's not surprising to hear considering the sudden jolt to the electronics when powering the unit on. akin to the power/jolt needed to turn a car engine over on a cold start, etc.

i'm surprised epson hasn't fixed this problem yet. if they know what's causing the issue they should have pulled any affected stock from retailers. it's crazy that it's still on-going.
post #60 of 242 Old 03-05-2018, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by serith View Post
that's not surprising to hear considering the sudden jolt to the electronics when powering the unit on. akin to the power/jolt needed to turn a car engine over on a cold start, etc.

i'm surprised epson hasn't fixed this problem yet. if they know what's causing the issue they should have pulled any affected stock from retailers. it's crazy that it's still on-going.
I agree. I am deeply disturbed that Epson hasn't made a public statement acknowledging the issue and taken steps to pull the product from shelves. I would like to have seen the poll set up here regarding power failures to have asked people to identify the date of their units manufacture not just the date purchased. Would also like to know the date of manufacture of any new replacement units provided by Epson that either failed again or have been OK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page