Epson 5040/6040/9300 (UK) Power Supply Failure Rate - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Has your Epson 5040/6040 experienced failure of the Power Suply
Yes, my power supply failed 69 49.29%
No, my power supply has not failed 71 50.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 49Likes

post #61 of 242 Old 03-05-2018, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Epson 5040UB power supply roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Rows View Post
Purchased my 5040ub in February of 2017. That one died just over the 30 day mark. They tried to send me a refurb and I refused to accept it, so they sent a new one.

That new replacement died a couple months later, so I decided to gamble on a refurb.

That refurb died a couple months later. They sent another refurb.

That refurb died a couple months later. I then asked what the hell was going on and they admitted they discovered bad circuitry within the power supply. Guaranteed my next refurb would have it addressed.

That refurb made it past the couple months mark, so I decided to have it professionally calibrated by Doug Weil (who did a fantastic job, btw) last week. It died two days ago.

I called and gave them hell. I said they had two choices... either they send me a brand new unit that is guaranteed not to break and refund my calibration cost, or they refund me what I paid for the projector and the calibration cost and I send them the POS back and get something else from another company. They said while they couldn't refund my calibration, they would send me a brand new replacement with two replacement lamps to make up for the calibration cost. I accepted. Should arrive today.

All deaths were the power supply issue. Just plain died each time. No lights... nothing. A couple of times were while I was using it, and the others were dead when I tried to fire them up after being off for days. I love this projector... when it's running. It looks especially beautiful post-calibration.
Reading about the abysmal experience of TWO ROWS, it looks like Epson is unable - or worse, unwilling - to distinguish between projectors with defective power supplies and those with properly functioning power supplies. If your projector stops working - and you send it back to Epson for replacement - they pick another projector to send you, NOT KNOWING whether or not it will be reliable. What percentage of the projectors suffer from the power supply defect? Only Epson knows. They ain't talking.

You might get lucky with your replacement machine. You might not. The customer is being treated as the last link in the quality control chain. You are expected to keep testing machines until (hopefully) you get one that is reliable. This might be the most profitable customer service policy for Epson, despite all the expense involved in shipping projectors back and forth. I don't know. Why else would they do this?

Epson's policy creates major headaches for owners of these projectors. The experience of TWO ROWS might be the worst. FIVE SUCCESSIVE PROJECTORS WITH DEFECTIVE POWER SUPPLIES! (Please forgive the shouting. My blood pressure is rising.) If the experience of TWO ROWS is the worst yet reported, there seems to be a pattern of 5040UB buyers being repeatedly sent lemons. Check out the reviews of unhappy buyers on Amazon for examples.

My own 5040UB has been working perfectly for about one year. It throws an extremely bright and razor sharp picture: wonderful contrast, vivid color, excellent flexibility and features. How long will it keep working? Before learning about Epson's derelict response to the power supply defect, I believed that Epson customer service was superior to that of Sony, JVC, and other competitors. Things look different now.

We are being used as quality control guinea pigs.

Happy viewing,
Joel Dickman

The harder it is to tell the difference, the less difference it makes.
old corps, Chris1260 and Two Rows like this.

Last edited by joel dickman; 04-09-2018 at 07:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 242 Old 03-05-2018, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel dickman View Post
Reading about the abysmal experience of TWO ROWS above, it is hard to avoid concluding that Epson is unable - or unwilling - to discriminate between projectors with defective power supplies and projectors with properly functioning power supplies. So if your projector stops working - and you send it back to Epson for replacement - they pick another projector to send you, NOT KNOWING whether or not it will be reliable.

You might get lucky with your replacement machine. Or you might not. The customer is thus treated as the last link in the quality control chain. You are expected to keep going through machines until (hopefully) you get one that is reliable. This might be the most profitable customer service policy for Epson, despite all the expense involved in shipping projectors back and forth. I do not know, but it is hard to understand why they would do this otherwise.

Obviously, this approach creates major headaches for the large number of home theater enthusiasts who have purchased the new Epson projectors. The experience of TWO ROWS might be the very worst. FIVE SUCCESSIVE PROJECTORS WITH DEFECTIVE POWER SUPPLIES! (Please forgive the shouting. My blood pressure is rising.) If the experience of TWO ROWS is the worst yet reported, there seems to be a pattern of 5040UB buyers being repeatedly sent lemons. My own 5040UB has been working perfectly for about one year, and it does throw an extremely bright and razor sharp picture. Wonderful contrast, vivid color, excellent flexibility and features, but for how long will it continue working?

Happy viewing,
Joel Dickman

Preach on it Joel. Your words ring true and are an indictment to the guinea pig, zero quality control approach shamefully used by Epson.
post #63 of 242 Old 03-18-2018, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Two Projectors failed with less than 200 lamp hours.

My 6040UB projector has failed with power supply issues again, totally dead when powered on.
This is the second unit to fail with the same issue as the first one. Both units failed with less than 200 lamp hours!!.

Both units were shutdown with remote control after watching movie. Following day fails to power on.

Hope I will be third time lucky!. Fingers crossed as I wait for an another RMA replacement.

First Unit was purchased End of August 2017 - Dec 2017. Less than 200 lamp hours, failed to power on Friday night.

Second Unit (RMA) - Dec 2017 - Mar 2018. Less than 200 lamp hours, failed to power on Friday night again!

by the looks of it looks like I am resigned to the fate of calling Epson RMA every 3 months!.

What is worrying is that I cannot get this projector professionally calibrated, at this rate of failure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 242 Old 03-19-2018, 10:02 AM
buz

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Epson 5040UB Purchased April 11, 2017
Died Feb 3rd, 2018 (Day before Superbowl)
Don't know how many hours were on the bulb.
Undoubtedly several hundred as it's my main display.

Buz
post #65 of 242 Old 03-19-2018, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel dickman View Post
Reading about the abysmal experience of TWO ROWS, it is looks like Epson is unable - or worse, unwilling - to distinguish between projectors with defective power supplies and those with properly functioning power supplies. So if your projector stops working - and you send it back to Epson for replacement - they pick another projector to send you, NOT KNOWING whether or not it will be reliable. What percentage of the projectors suffer from the power supply defect? Only Epson knows, and they ain't talking.

You might get lucky with your replacement machine. You might not. The customer is being treated as the last link in the quality control chain. You are expected to keep testing machines until (hopefully) you get one that is reliable. This might be the most profitable customer service policy for Epson, despite all the expense involved in shipping projectors back and forth. I don't know. It is hard to understand why they would do this otherwise.

Epson's policy creates major headaches for the large number of home theater enthusiasts who have purchased these new projectors. The experience of TWO ROWS might be the worst. FIVE SUCCESSIVE PROJECTORS WITH DEFECTIVE POWER SUPPLIES! (Please forgive the shouting. My blood pressure is rising.) If the experience of TWO ROWS is the worst yet reported, there seems to be a pattern of 5040UB buyers being repeatedly sent lemons. Check out the reviews of unhappy buyers on Amazon for examples.

My own 5040UB has been working perfectly for about one year, and it does throw an extremely bright and razor sharp picture. Wonderful contrast, vivid color, excellent flexibility and features, but for how long will it continue working? Before learning about Epson's derelict response to the power supply defect, I was under the impression that Epson customer service was superior to that of Sony, JVC, and other competitors. Things look very different now.

Happy viewing,
Joel Dickman

A+++ Joel!
And what happens when your power supply dies in another year? Me thinks you're SOL. I'm certain you're not going to like the bill to get it repaired. Maybe they expect us to consider the 5040 a 2 year projector then simply throw it out and buy another Epson. Really?
Mine started doing the "high lamp on start up thing" about a month ago which of course makes zero sense. Never did it previously. The last time I used it it blew air for what seemed like an even longer period of time (at least a full minute) then I had a red light flashing and the lens cover never opened. I was sure my time had come but after unplugging and then plugging the power cord back in it operated normally. Now I'm afraid to turn it on again........ I don't think it'll be long before the refurb lottery will begin for me. This stinks!

Ed
post #66 of 242 Old 03-19-2018, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 2681
Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post
A+++ Joel!
And what happens when your power supply dies in another year? Me thinks you're SOL. I'm certain you're not going to like the bill to get it repaired. Maybe they expect us to consider the 5040 a 2 year projector then simply throw it out and buy another Epson. Really?
Mine started doing the "high lamp on start up thing" about a month ago which of course makes zero sense. Never did it previously. The last time I used it it blew air for what seemed like an even longer period of time (at least a full minute) then I had a red light flashing and the lens cover never opened. I was sure my time had come but after unplugging and then plugging the power cord back in it operated normally. Now I'm afraid to turn it on again........ I don't think it'll be long before the refurb lottery will begin for me. This stinks!

Ed
Hi Ed...from what I've seen posted, there doesn't seem to be any predictable symptom/pattern for the onset of the power supply failures. My 5040 has always intermittently done the "high fan on start up thing" since day one...well over a year ago. Owners of previous models and a call to Epson both indicated this was normal...but could not explained why. I've never experienced the flashing red led and otherwise has been operating perfectly. Several weeks ago, I submitted a suggestion on Epson's support forum to formally acknowledge and address the consumer remedy for the PS failure. To date, there has been no response to my suggestion. Your posting prompted me to follow up both in the Epson forum as well as contact by phone. I'll post the results of my effort.
Drag0nFly and old corps like this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
post #67 of 242 Old 03-20-2018, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Hi Ed...from what I've seen posted, there doesn't seem to be any predictable symptom/pattern for the onset of the power supply failures. My 5040 has always intermittently done the "high fan on start up thing" since day one...well over a year ago. Owners of previous models and a call to Epson both indicated this was normal...but could not explained why. I've never experienced the flashing red led and otherwise has been operating perfectly. Several weeks ago, I submitted a suggestion on Epson's support forum to formally acknowledge and address the consumer remedy for the PS failure. To date, there has been no response to my suggestion. Your posting prompted me to follow up both in the Epson forum as well as contact by phone. I'll post the results of my effort.

Thanks for the reply Gene, appreciate it and your contacting Epson. I need to find the Epson support forum & call them as well instead of just whining on here. I keep putting it off. I keep thinking I'm going to be calling them shortly for a replacement, especially after the last episode.

Ed
gene4ht likes this.
post #68 of 242 Old 03-20-2018, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post
Thanks for the reply Gene, appreciate it and your contacting Epson. I need to find the Epson support forum & call them as well instead of just whining on here. I keep putting it off. I keep thinking I'm going to be calling them shortly for a replacement, especially after the last episode.

Ed
You're welcome! Just an FYI...in my email submission to Epson support, I linked them to this particular thread for further information and detail. Hopefully, they will engage and a response will be forthcoming.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
post #69 of 242 Old 03-20-2018, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Got mine in 8/2017, nearing 3k hours on my first bulb. I’ll occationally Get the loud fan on start up, and I have green spot that is rarely visible (looks to be about 4 pixels). Other than that, no problems!

As for epson warranty, I’m a little concerned about future inquiries into replacement. Last month they called me up regarding my old 5030ub. I had it warrantied over a YEAR ago, and they called saying they hadn’t received it!? Told them that’s rediculous because 1: I opted to have them put a hold for like $1500 that they would release after recieving the unit (which they did), and 2: Why in the world did they wait over a year to follow up on that? They hoped to get a shipping receipt, which I always keep for a few months just in case, but I don’t know anyone who keeps those for over a year! If anything does happen to my unit, I hope they stand by the warranty as I paid full price to upgrade to a 5040ub after I sold my replacement 5030ub with low hours.
post #70 of 242 Old 03-20-2018, 10:13 AM

I really wanted to purchase the Epson 5040ub at this time. It's brightness would be a perfect combination with my ALR screen. However, the repeated mechanical failures of this unit has made this a non option for me. Now I have to wait for the Epson 5040's replacement which will most likely be released before the end of this year. I hate waiting, but I don't see any other option at this time.
bigmixx and old corps like this.
post #71 of 242 Old 03-20-2018, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
This poll is an attempt to find out what percentage of Epson 5040/6040 projectors have experienced the power supply failure extensively reported in the relevant unit thread.

Is *every* buyer of these PJs experiencing failure of the power supply? Or is just a small percentage? Or even a large percentage? It is useful to know since if it is, say, 10%, then 90% of us will be OK and probably won't experience the problem. 10% is still not acceptable of course, but it is difficult to tell in the main thread just how many owners are having problems.

Thanks for completing the poll.

If you wish, it would be useful to indicate in a post in this thread how old the PJ was when the failure occurred, the purchase date and/or how many hours the lamp had on it.
3700 Epson here - about of 2200 hrs on it - we use it quite a lot - it is a different model from one on the thread, but, i noticed that lately it started doing high fan speed upon power on and it stays on high fan for quite some time - 2-3 min, with no light, then suddenly fan stops and PJ comes to life. it is set to eco mode only and was never used in high mode. it does not happen every time every power up cycle but often enough to notice it.

it started recently enough, may be after it got over 1900 hrs or so.
post #72 of 242 Old 03-20-2018, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by utkinpol View Post
3700 Epson here - about of 2200 hrs on it - we use it quite a lot - it is a different model from one on the thread, but, i noticed that lately it started doing high fan speed upon power on and it stays on high fan for quite some time - 2-3 min, with no light, then suddenly fan stops and PJ comes to life. it is set to eco mode only and was never used in high mode. it does not happen every time every power up cycle but often enough to notice it.

it started recently enough, may be after it got over 1900 hrs or so.
As I posted several times previously, my 5040 exhibited this unusual intermittent behavior from the onset...no logical reason in my mind why it would do this. I subsequently contacted Epson support by phone and the tech rep, even after conferring with his manager and second level support, was unable to provide a plausible explanation.

post #73 of 242 Old 03-21-2018, 11:53 AM

There is one question that continues to elude me when it comes to this projector's known issues. Why have I not seen one review or complaint online for the same issues with the Epson 4000? It appears they share the same chasis and I'm guessing the same power supply?

Last edited by LumensLover; 03-21-2018 at 01:02 PM.
post #74 of 242 Old 03-21-2018, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
There is one question that continues to elude me when it comes to this projector's known issues. Why have I not seen one review or complaint online for the same issues with the Epson 4000. It appears they share the same chasis and I'm guessing the same power supply?
Theory 1: Power Supplies were part of a bad lot on the line, the manufacturer may have determined cause and rectified the issue.

Theory 2: Epson changed suppliers.

Only Epson knows for sure...

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
post #75 of 242 Old 03-21-2018, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
There is one question that continues to elude me when it comes to this projector's known issues. Why have I not seen one review or complaint online for the same issues with the Epson 4000? It appears they share the same chasis and I'm guessing the same power supply?
Your post intrigued me so I went digging and I found exactly 1 review on Amazon where someone said their 4000 exhibited the failed power supply.

That is odd for what seems to be essentially the same projector. Maybe the bump in lumens, 4k etc causes the 5040 to run hotter or something?
post #76 of 242 Old 03-21-2018, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 862
Quote:
I really wanted to purchase the Epson 5040ub at this time. It's brightness would be a perfect combination with my ALR screen. However, the repeated mechanical failures of this unit has made this a non option for me. Now I have to wait for the Epson 5040's replacement which will most likely be released before the end of this year. I hate waiting, but I don't see any other option at this time.
for all we know epson will continue to use a faulty part in the replacement model too. waiting indefinitely for some perfect solution that never comes is a fallacy. i (and i'd assume everyone in this thread) wants what you do, but it's probably never going to happen. i say roll the dice and get the 5040. you get lucky and don't have any issues, or you get unlucky and you have to send the unit back in and try again with the projector lottery (possibly multiple times). waiting the rest of the year and paying full blown retail for what will probably be a small upgrade in terms of performance in the hopes that the new units don't exhibit any issues just seems pointless.
post #77 of 242 Old 03-31-2018, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just a quick FYI...haven't had a response from Epson yet relative to the inquiry I posted earlier. I suspect the comments/questions/suggestions I posed to them are beyond the scope of their "customer support" organization. No doubt these types of inquiries are addressed by senior level management...in meetings...so I'm not surprised a response will take a bit longer.
Quote:
You're welcome! Just an FYI...in my email submission to Epson support, I linked them to this particular thread for further information and detail. Hopefully, they will engage and a response will be forthcoming.
Update to my inquiry to Epson: I finally received a response from Epson support after 5 1/2 weeks. Sadly and disappointing, their response consisted of stock/standard verbiage that did not address the issue of the power supply failures. Their response was as follows:

Thank you for reaching out to us.
We at Epson strive to produce top quality products, and industry-leading service.
As such Epson provides a 2 year limited warranty on most of our projectors, a description of which is available on our website under our product support page.
If your product requires service during the limited warranty period, please visit Epson.com/support or call (800) 637-7661 or (562) 276-4394.

Regards,

Mark H.

I replied indicating their response did not address the issues outlined in my inquiry regarding the 5040 power supply failures. I also requested that if my initial inquiry was beyond their purview to address, that it be escalated to senior level leadership for further consideration. It will be interesting to see if and how this will be addressed.

post #78 of 242 Old 03-31-2018, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 353
I suggest anyone buying one of these go through Amazon or get a Square Trade warranty on it. Not sure I'd do used on this unit.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
post #79 of 242 Old 04-01-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Update to my inquiry to Epson: I finally received a response from Epson support after 5 1/2 weeks. Sadly and disappointing, their response consisted of stock/standard verbiage that did not address the issue of the power supply failures. Their response was as follows:

We at Epson strive to produce top quality products, and industry-leading service.
As such Epson provides a 2 year limited warranty on most of our projectors, a description of which is available on our website under our product support page.
If your product requires service during the limited warranty period, please visit Epson.com/support or call (800) 637-7661 or (562) 276-4394.

Regards,

Mark H.

I replied indicating their response did not address the issues outlined in my inquiry regarding the 5040 power supply failures. I also requested that if my initial inquiry was beyond their purview to address, that it be escalated to senior level leadership for further consideration. It will be interesting to see if and how this will be addressed.
It won't be. You're asking for above and beyond customer service from a underpaid customer service rep. They're not going to go the extra mile for anyone. Your question will be discarded and they will move on.
post #80 of 242 Old 04-01-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serith View Post
for all we know epson will continue to use a faulty part in the replacement model too. waiting indefinitely for some perfect solution that never comes is a fallacy. i (and i'd assume everyone in this thread) wants what you do, but it's probably never going to happen. i say roll the dice and get the 5040. you get lucky and don't have any issues, or you get unlucky and you have to send the unit back in and try again with the projector lottery (possibly multiple times). waiting the rest of the year and paying full blown retail for what will probably be a small upgrade in terms of performance in the hopes that the new units don't exhibit any issues just seems pointless.
Sorry but I vehemently disagree with your assertions on this subject. I normally buy projectors open box. I dare not take that gamble with the Epson 5040 due to all the issues with this model. Also, I've purchased new in box projectors before at a premium price due to the fact that I believe in the warranty if necessary.

I do not trust the warranty with Epson on these units because you will be paying a premium price for a new unit and will most likely get a used, refurbished unit within the first year of ownership. That is not a good trade. If they had refurbished projectors marked down available, I could see taking the gamble at that point because you're not paying a premium price for them, so if you get another refurb through the warranty program there would be no harm no foul.

But paying a premium price for a new unit then getting a refurb within a few months later is a sucker's game. Hence, only a sucker would play that game.

Last edited by LumensLover; 04-01-2018 at 09:38 AM.
post #81 of 242 Old 04-01-2018, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 862
Quote:
But paying a premium price for a new unit then getting a refurb within a few months later is a sucker's game. Hence, only a sucker would play that game.
from what i remember reading, you are only guaranteed a refurbished unit if you want to have yours replaced as quickly as possible. i've read that if you're willing to wait for epson to fix your projector they will send it back to you--it just takes longer.
post #82 of 242 Old 04-01-2018, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Regards,

Mark H.

Quote:
It won't be. You're asking for above and beyond customer service from a underpaid customer service rep. They're not going to go the extra mile for anyone. Your question will be discarded and they will move on.
Exactly! A customer service rep's actions reflects its leadership and organizational values. Hopefully, Epson's customer service can pass the litmus test.

post #83 of 242 Old 04-01-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Exactly! A customer service rep's actions reflects its leadership and organizational values. Hopefully, Epson's customer service can pass the litmus test.
I understand your frustration. However I'm someone who worked at a call center for various companies while I was in college. I worked for Epson, Chase Bank, Capital One, amongst others. And I can tell you from my previous experience when I was making $9 an hour we could care less about forwarding any customer complaints up to top management. And even if we tried middle management could care less because they were worried about metrics and meeting call tolerance requirements on their weekly reports.

No one was worried about how the mother company looked as a whole. When you're that low on the totem pole none of that stuff matters. You're more worried about do I have enough money to eat this week and can I pay my rent.
post #84 of 242 Old 04-03-2018, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I understand your frustration. However I'm someone who worked at a call center for various companies while I was in college. I worked for Epson, Chase Bank, Capital One, amongst others. And I can tell you from my previous experience when I was making $9 an hour we could care less about forwarding any customer complaints up to top management. And even if we tried middle management could care less because they were worried about metrics and meeting call tolerance requirements on their weekly reports.

No one was worried about how the mother company looked as a whole. When you're that low on the totem pole none of that stuff matters. You're more worried about do I have enough money to eat this week and can I pay my rent.
Appreciate you sharing your experiences. Years ago, I too spent time in the call center environment...as a CSR, a middle manager, and subsequently as a call center consultant. And I too experienced what you've shared. However, I also experienced a different perspective where customer service was prioritized, valued, and rewarded over standardized performance metrics. Current organizations related to our hobby coming to mind that appear to demonstrate these attributes are SVS and Oppo. Admittedly, these are smaller organizations that are more flexible and are able to enact change when necessary. It is my hope that a forward thinking CSR and management team at Epson will enact favorable changes.

post #85 of 242 Old 04-05-2018, 05:45 PM

Liked: 56
I haven't had any issues yet and mine is about 3 weeks shy of a year old with 1600 hours, but it is in the same time frame as a lot of the failures.
gene4ht likes this.
post #86 of 242 Old 04-05-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangelism View Post
I haven't had any issues yet and mine is about 3 weeks shy of a year old with 1600 hours, but it is in the same time frame as a lot of the failures.
Very good to hear this. I desperately need more brightness so I'm going to purchase an Epson 5040 tomorrow. I pray I am one of the lucky ones who gets a working unit and not a lemon.
gene4ht likes this.
post #87 of 242 Old 04-05-2018, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I've had my 9300W for 16 months now and have over 6000 operational hours on it as I use it for up to to 16 hours a day (sometimes longer) as a desktop monitor replacement. I've even had it working non-stop for up to 5 days on end. I have another 9300 in my home theater room with over 3000 operational hours. Never had any problems. Guess I'm lucky.
old corps likes this.

Last edited by dimi123; 04-06-2018 at 12:30 AM.
post #88 of 242 Old 04-06-2018, 08:44 AM

Liked: 56
Quote:
Very good to hear this. I desperately need more brightness so I'm going to purchase an Epson 5040 tomorrow. I pray I am one of the lucky ones who gets a working unit and not a lemon.
It seems like from reading the various threads that newer ones are fine.
post #89 of 242 Old 04-06-2018, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Update to my inquiry to Epson support...

Received a survey from Epson support requesting my feedback to their response of my inquiry. Needless to say, I expressed my disappointment with their response time (5+ weeks) and their "irrelevant" stock reply. Again, it will be interesting to see their follow up response and if senior level management became involved.

post #90 of 242 Old 04-06-2018, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 51
If the failure rate is 10% or higher, that is incredibly HIGH. In fact, any electronic item with a failure rate that high should not be on the market. Even a 1% failure rate is considered "high." It sounds to me that Epson swaps a projector with another that has the same power supply. That is why some people have had multiple swaps. That's totally unacceptable to me. I still have an Epson 6010 with about 12,000 or more total hours on it and it works perfectly fine. It's too bad about the 6040 because that was on my list to upgrade from my 6010. I think I might have to wait for the next generation. Has anyone heard if Epson is coming out with a 6050 model?
old corps likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page