Epson 5040/6040/9300 (UK) Power Supply Failure Rate - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Has your Epson 5040/6040 experienced failure of the Power Suply
Yes, my power supply failed 69 49.29%
No, my power supply has not failed 71 50.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 49Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 242 Old 04-17-2018, 03:28 PM
Member
 
gibsonm21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Switch my vote from No to Yes.

My 5040 shut down last night randomly after about 20 min of use. I unplugged it for a min, plugged it back in and it turns on in high fan mode, but no lamp; it shuts down a couple minutes later. I got a flashing status light and a solid orange lamp light each time.

The manual says to clean the filter & check the lamp for that light pattern, so I was hopeful it wasn't a power issue, but the lamp looked good and the filter was pretty clean as well. Called Epson & they're going to send me a new lamp to try so fingers crossed I guess.

If I have to send it back, I may just bite the bullet and wait to get mine back. It's in good shape, tuned up and I only have 1700 hours on the bulb. Just don't want to get sucked into the vortex of refurbs!
gibsonm21 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 242 Old 04-19-2018, 04:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blake18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,081
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwhite View Post
If the failure rate is 10% or higher, that is incredibly HIGH. In fact, any electronic item with a failure rate that high should not be on the market. Even a 1% failure rate is considered "high." It sounds to me that Epson swaps a projector with another that has the same power supply. That is why some people have had multiple swaps. That's totally unacceptable to me. I still have an Epson 6010 with about 12,000 or more total hours on it and it works perfectly fine. It's too bad about the 6040 because that was on my list to upgrade from my 6010. I think I might have to wait for the next generation. Has anyone heard if Epson is coming out with a 6050 model?
I'm sure they'll be announcing new models sometime this year, I'd be surprised if they didn't. Also, you might consider a 5030ub or 6030ub, either one is a nice upgrade from the 6010ub. Not a huge difference, but worth while at the current prices. 🙂

You also might consider keeping in touch with Epson, they do actually listen to customer feedback and I know they are known to fix known issues before long.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
blake18 is offline  
post #93 of 242 Old 04-30-2018, 01:35 PM
Member
 
TheExecutive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Well, this is fantastic. Bought my projector on 02/04/18 and put 100 or so hours on it. Today, I go to turn it on and it is completely unresponsive. No lights nothing. Checked power to the outlet and it is fine. I can only assume it is the power supply. Emailed Epson support on it. Anyone have any tips or advice on how to navigate Epson?

Also,

From time to time when I turned it on the fan got really loud and also heard what I can only describe as coil whine coming from it at all times. It was in the basement and I could hear that whining all the way upstairs. Its how I could tell whether I forgot to turn the darn thing off. Any idea what that coil whine was?
TheExecutive is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #94 of 242 Old 04-30-2018, 02:31 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,471
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExecutive View Post
Well, this is fantastic. Bought my projector on 02/04/18 and put 100 or so hours on it. Today, I go to turn it on and it is completely unresponsive. No lights nothing. Checked power to the outlet and it is fine. I can only assume it is the power supply. Emailed Epson support on it. Anyone have any tips or advice on how to navigate Epson?

Also,

From time to time when I turned it on the fan got really loud and also heard what I can only describe as coil whine coming from it at all times. It was in the basement and I could hear that whining all the way upstairs. Its how I could tell whether I forgot to turn the darn thing off. Any idea what that coil whine was?
Posts like this is why I am currently sweating bullets. I have six days to return my 5040UB. Part of me strongly believes I should get out now while I can.
LumensLover is offline  
post #95 of 242 Old 04-30-2018, 04:00 PM
Member
 
gibsonm21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
Posts like this is why I am currently sweating bullets. I have six days to return my 5040UB. Part of me strongly believes I should get out now while I can.
Mine went out a week before the 1 year mark, so BB just swapped it out and ordered a new one.....however the shipping date has shifted twice already and I'm starting to wonder if they're out of stock.

I questioned going another route, but ultimately no other projector in that price range has the lens shift capabilities as the 5040 (I need horizontal).
gibsonm21 is offline  
post #96 of 242 Old 05-02-2018, 09:13 PM
Newbie
 
logan0171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Add me to the list...

My 5040 purchased right before Christmas 2017 went out last weekend. There were no symptoms prior to the failure. I went to watch a movie in the home theater and the projector did not power up. After some basic troubleshooting I realized that there were no lights on the unit. I verified voltage at the power connector and it was good.

I received my replacement from Epson today but have not set it up yet.
logan0171 is offline  
post #97 of 242 Old 05-04-2018, 06:52 AM
Member
 
Drag0nFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm now on my second TW9300 after the first one – received at the beginning of 2018 – died within a month of purchase. I did experience what I deem to be symptoms beforehand (which my second unit has now started exhibiting) -- HDMI signal dropouts - usually at the end of a movie and after the PJ has been powered up (showing the input sources list), resolved simply by replugging the cable (input switch not effective). I am using a HTC system which is always on, and always has a link. The last signal dropout was when the unit re-synced after switching from 23.976Hz to 60Hz (for the HTC movie menu). (The same setup has been used with five projectors in the past and never had this issue.)

The unit also had instances where the fan would run in high mode after power-up (also experienced on the replacement unit). So I am guessing it is just a matter of time before that dies as well. The serial numbers for both of these were relatively close (the newer one were nine digits higher), so I assume both are from the same bad batch at the manufacturing plant.

At some point one has to wonder when Epson will start a replacement programme and recall these bad units, as this is surely extremely bad and detrimental to their reputation (and a serious blemish on an otherwise fine high-end projector)
old corps likes this.

Last edited by Drag0nFly; 05-04-2018 at 06:56 AM.
Drag0nFly is offline  
post #98 of 242 Old 05-04-2018, 08:58 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,471
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonm21 View Post
Mine went out a week before the 1 year mark, so BB just swapped it out and ordered a new one.....however the shipping date has shifted twice already and I'm starting to wonder if they're out of stock.

I questioned going another route, but ultimately no other projector in that price range has the lens shift capabilities as the 5040 (I need horizontal).
My 5040 did the turbo fan at startup one time. That was the only warning I needed to get out of it. I lost $200 on it however I regained peace of mind. I really wanted to love the 5040 but it is a flawed design. I will consider a Epson 5050 whenever it is released.
LumensLover is offline  
post #99 of 242 Old 05-22-2018, 06:55 AM
Member
 
BlueTip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drag0nFly View Post
I'm now on my second TW9300 after the first one – received at the beginning of 2018 – died within a month of purchase. I did experience what I deem to be symptoms beforehand (which my second unit has now started exhibiting) -- HDMI signal dropouts - usually at the end of a movie and after the PJ has been powered up (showing the input sources list), resolved simply by replugging the cable (input switch not effective). I am using a HTC system which is always on, and always has a link. The last signal dropout was when the unit re-synced after switching from 23.976Hz to 60Hz (for the HTC movie menu). (The same setup has been used with five projectors in the past and never had this issue.)

The unit also had instances where the fan would run in high mode after power-up (also experienced on the replacement unit). So I am guessing it is just a matter of time before that dies as well. The serial numbers for both of these were relatively close (the newer one were nine digits higher), so I assume both are from the same bad batch at the manufacturing plant.

At some point one has to wonder when Epson will start a replacement programme and recall these bad units, as this is surely extremely bad and detrimental to their reputation (and a serious blemish on an otherwise fine high-end projector)
Just FYI, I was on the phone with Epson advanced support yesterday after my 2nd 5040UB in six months suffered a dead power supply (first unit purchased in Nov 2017 - died in Jan 2018, replacement received promptly - died in May 2018). During this conversation, I was assured again by Epson that they are aware of the power supply issues, and that all new replacements sent out have been "corrected". I was also told that back in January (about four months ago), not all replacement units sent out had been corrected - that I can be sure this time I will have a corrected unit (crossing my fingers). If this one fails in the same manner over coming months, I will seek some type of credit or refund for the product. I love the projector - when it works. :-)
BlueTip is offline  
post #100 of 242 Old 05-27-2018, 11:08 AM
Member
 
GunslingerBara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I bought a 6040 used on Facebook Marketplace. Got it a week ago, everything worked fine. Today I go to turn it on and it won't turn on. Tried various things to validate it wasn't my cable or power to the outlet, and everything else is fine. So it seems like it's the power supply.

So here's my question: Since I bought this used from someone else, can I still get a replacement? Or am I SOL and out thousands of dollars?
GunslingerBara is offline  
post #101 of 242 Old 05-27-2018, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
descalabro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,101
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunslingerBara View Post
So I bought a 6040 used on Facebook Marketplace. Got it a week ago, everything worked fine. Today I go to turn it on and it won't turn on. Tried various things to validate it wasn't my cable or power to the outlet, and everything else is fine. So it seems like it's the power supply.

So here's my question: Since I bought this used from someone else, can I still get a replacement? Or am I SOL and out thousands of dollars?
Unless you have the original invoice and it's still under warranty, I don't think Epson is going to help you. Even owners who bought these models from Epson vendors were given refurbished models, many of which with the same malfunction. Epson never did the right thing, which would be to collect all the faulty projectors and refund all buyers.
descalabro is offline  
post #102 of 242 Old 05-27-2018, 11:37 AM
Member
 
GunslingerBara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by descalabro View Post
Unless you have the original invoice and it's still under warranty, I don't think Epson is going to help you. Even owners who bought these models from Epson vendors were given refurbished models, many of which with the same malfunction. Epson never did the right thing, which would be to collect all the faulty projectors and refund all buyers.
Not what I wanted to hear

I'll contact the original owner to see if he still has his receipt, but if not, idk what to do
GunslingerBara is offline  
post #103 of 242 Old 05-27-2018, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ricwhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Layton, Utah
Posts: 3,084
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunslingerBara View Post
So I bought a 6040 used on Facebook Marketplace. Got it a week ago, everything worked fine. Today I go to turn it on and it won't turn on. Tried various things to validate it wasn't my cable or power to the outlet, and everything else is fine. So it seems like it's the power supply.

So here's my question: Since I bought this used from someone else, can I still get a replacement? Or am I SOL and out thousands of dollars?
Unfortunately, the warranty is likely not transferable in that situation. It's too bad because the 6040 actually has a 3-year warranty, not 2, but without the original receipt and without evidence it was purchased from an authorized dealer, you are likely out of luck. You can contact Epson and find out and then ask about non-warranty repair. I'm not sure what the repair for a power supply would be - probably at least $500. If they are now repairing them with power supplies that don't fail, you still might want to repair it.
descalabro likes this.
ricwhite is offline  
post #104 of 242 Old 05-28-2018, 01:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I want to purchase the 5040ub so bad but I just don't know if I should take the risk with all the power failure issues. I have been reading that the power failure issues are all ok now and that moving forward there should be no issues anymore. Where did this information come from and can anyone verify that this to be true? I have been searching the Internet for any info regarding this and have emailed Epson themselves to verify there will no longer be any power failure problems and I am awaiting their reply. So where is this info coming from that this has all been corrected?
killswitch1968 likes this.
Bamasgot16 is offline  
post #105 of 242 Old 05-28-2018, 03:30 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,471
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamasgot16 View Post
I want to purchase the 5040ub so bad but I just don't know if I should take the risk with all the power failure issues. I have been reading that the power failure issues are all ok now and that moving forward there should be no issues anymore. Where did this information come from and can anyone verify that this to be true? I have been searching the Internet for any info regarding this and have emailed Epson themselves to verify there will no longer be any power failure problems and I am awaiting their reply. So where is this info coming from that this has all been corrected?
It's pure bull feces. Epson has not done anything to fix the power supply issue. Same thing with Sony when they declared that the degradation issue was fixed with no verifiable proof. Don't be so quick to fall for bologna.
LumensLover is offline  
post #106 of 242 Old 05-28-2018, 06:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
It's pure bull feces. Epson has not done anything to fix the power supply issue. Same thing with Sony when they declared that the degradation issue was fixed with no verifiable proof. Don't be so quick to fall for bologna.
I just can't understand why Epson hasn't done anything to rectify this problem. I can only imagine how many more customers other than myself are there that would love to purchase this projector but have found other projectors due to this issue. Do they really think that we the consumers are not doing our homework now knowing these issues before making such an important purchase.
old corps likes this.
Bamasgot16 is offline  
post #107 of 242 Old 05-29-2018, 02:57 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,471
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamasgot16 View Post
I just can't understand why Epson hasn't done anything to rectify this problem. I can only imagine how many more customers other than myself are there that would love to purchase this projector but have found other projectors due to this issue. Do they really think that we the consumers are not doing our homework now knowing these issues before making such an important purchase.
All the issues seemingly have not hurt sales of the Epson 5040. Also keep in mind that AVS Forum is a small percentage of all buyers. Most buyers do not come to online forums such as this. Outside of customer reviews they don't get any direct feedback on products.
LumensLover is offline  
post #108 of 242 Old 05-29-2018, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ricwhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Layton, Utah
Posts: 3,084
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Epson has announced some new projectors for 2018. Unfortunately, there was nothing about a 5040ub replacement. That's not to say it can't still happen, but it's looking less likely. I'm in the market for a projector but will not purchase the current generation 5040ub. That, in my opinion, is a total disaster. From various review sites, its 1-star ratings are in the 12-15% range. That is awful for a projector. I'd NEVER buy something like that.
I might have to look closer at the JVC or maybe the new LG 4K just released.
ricwhite is offline  
post #109 of 242 Old 05-29-2018, 07:11 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,471
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwhite View Post
Epson has announced some new projectors for 2018. Unfortunately, there was nothing about a 5040ub replacement. That's not to say it can't still happen, but it's looking less likely. I'm in the market for a projector but will not purchase the current generation 5040ub. That, in my opinion, is a total disaster. From various review sites, its 1-star ratings are in the 12-15% range. That is awful for a projector. I'd NEVER buy something like that.
I might have to look closer at the JVC or maybe the new LG 4K just released.
The sad thing is there's literally no where else to go if you want a bright vibrant projector with respectable contrast. I've recently had projectors from JVC and Sony. However I am a alr screen user and lumens are precious to me. I keep waiting for Epson to release a replacement but it looks like they're not going to release one this year. I currently have a Sony 65ES. I've had numerous offers to which I could have already sold it but I've had to hold on to it since there's really nowhere else for me to go at this point.

At least the 65ES is noticeably brighter than the 45ES to my eyes so it's close to the Epson 5040 along with having really good contrast.
LumensLover is offline  
post #110 of 242 Old 05-29-2018, 09:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
serith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: syracuse, ny
Posts: 1,067
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
However I am a alr screen user and lumens are precious to me.
i have an AT spandex screen with ~.7 gain. i feel you brother. i so desperately want to give epson my $ (again) but after reading one too many horror stories, i'll wait until they figure this mess out.


7.0.6 / 1700 ft³ / PSA MTM-210T³ / Epson HC 2150 / 147" AT 2.39:1 Spandex Screen / Seatcraft Rialto³ / Velvet Everywhere / Chasing LFE
serith is online now  
post #111 of 242 Old 05-30-2018, 12:30 AM
Senior Member
 
rfb6435's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Phoenix, AZ area
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 93
How many have had failures when only running ECO mode vs. the normal higher power mode?

Granted neither should fail but I am interested to see if it matters.

Thanks,

Rich

Quad Marantz AVR 9.2.(4+2) Atmos/DTS:X using Dual sr7010's + Dual scAtmos nr1403's
Marantz MM8003 150W/ch Amplifier Driving (L/C/R/SL/SR/SBL/SBR)
HTD Speakers L3 Tower L/R, L3 Center, Dual 12" L3 Subs, L2 Tower SL/SR, L2 Bkshlf SBL/SBR, Flat Panel WL/WR, Angled 6.5" In Ceiling FH/RH, 8" In Ceiling TM
Epson 5040UB Faux-K/3D with 106" Multi-Format Screen.
rfb6435 is offline  
post #112 of 242 Old 05-30-2018, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jnabq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Albq. NM, USA
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Mine failed which was always set to ECO, but with high altitude mode enabled as well. I was curious about the same thing, but as mentioned by someone else, the biggest "jolt" is upon initial startup. So you would think these different power draws would be somewhat negligible?
jnabq is offline  
post #113 of 242 Old 05-30-2018, 08:56 PM
Senior Member
 
rfb6435's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Phoenix, AZ area
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post
Mine failed which was always set to ECO, but with high altitude mode enabled as well. I was curious about the same thing, but as mentioned by someone else, the biggest "jolt" is upon initial startup. So you would think these different power draws would be somewhat negligible?

Power supplies tend to fail due to fail from a few things but almost all of them are heat related....

0) Power Supply Fans failing (if it has one which I think it does)
1) Capacitors (the most common failure)
2) Transistors (due to heat or lack of heat sinks)
3) IC control chips (more rare)
4) Resistors burning out (I have had some amplifiers with 7W resistor voltage dividers that have burnt out)

Has anyone heard what part fails?

If more were out of warranty we could desolder and test the capacitors on the power supply board and then replace them with higher voltage versions (if there is room) which is more than likely the problem in my experience. Most of the time lately non amplifier related electronics failures seem to be either bad solder joints or capacitors...

-Rich

Quad Marantz AVR 9.2.(4+2) Atmos/DTS:X using Dual sr7010's + Dual scAtmos nr1403's
Marantz MM8003 150W/ch Amplifier Driving (L/C/R/SL/SR/SBL/SBR)
HTD Speakers L3 Tower L/R, L3 Center, Dual 12" L3 Subs, L2 Tower SL/SR, L2 Bkshlf SBL/SBR, Flat Panel WL/WR, Angled 6.5" In Ceiling FH/RH, 8" In Ceiling TM
Epson 5040UB Faux-K/3D with 106" Multi-Format Screen.
rfb6435 is offline  
post #114 of 242 Old 05-31-2018, 08:46 AM
Member
 
rongopongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwhite View Post
Epson has announced some new projectors for 2018. Unfortunately, there was nothing about a 5040ub replacement. That's not to say it can't still happen, but it's looking less likely. I'm in the market for a projector but will not purchase the current generation 5040ub. That, in my opinion, is a total disaster. From various review sites, its 1-star ratings are in the 12-15% range. That is awful for a projector. I'd NEVER buy something like that.
I might have to look closer at the JVC or maybe the new LG 4K just released.
can you post a link? i haven’t heard of a new release
rongopongo is offline  
post #115 of 242 Old 05-31-2018, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ricwhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Layton, Utah
Posts: 3,084
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by rongopongo View Post
can you post a link? i haven’t heard of a new release
https://news.epson.com/news/infocomm...ctor-solutions
ricwhite is offline  
post #116 of 242 Old 05-31-2018, 12:13 PM
Member
 
rongopongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwhite View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rongopongo View Post
can you post a link? i haven’t heard of a new release
https://news.epson.com/news/infocomm...ctor-solutions
From what i read, none of these projectors are for the home consumers.
rongopongo is offline  
post #117 of 242 Old 05-31-2018, 08:22 PM
Newbie
 
TN_3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
And another one...my 5040 was installed in Feb of this year, probably 50-60 hours if I had to guess, went to power up tonight, nothing. No lights, no fans, just nothing. Already called Epson but of course “advanced” support had gone home for the day. Waiting on a call back. Are users getting new replacements on their first failure, or is it basically a refurb/repair option the first go around?
TN_3 is offline  
post #118 of 242 Old 06-01-2018, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
old corps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 1,787
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_3 View Post
And another one...my 5040 was installed in Feb of this year, probably 50-60 hours if I had to guess, went to power up tonight, nothing. No lights, no fans, just nothing. Already called Epson but of course “advanced” support had gone home for the day. Waiting on a call back. Are users getting new replacements on their first failure, or is it basically a refurb/repair option the first go around?
Sorry about your luck! I cross my fingers every time I power mine on. I believe they'll send you a refurb unless you press them for a new one. Hope your replacement is solid.

Ed
old corps is offline  
post #119 of 242 Old 06-20-2018, 02:47 AM
Member
 
Drag0nFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is anyone else having issues with Epson's warranty check? I am anticipating mine to break down any day now (recv'd in January of this year), and did a routine lookup today for warranty status using its serial number which only returns 'No product found, please try a different search'. Tried multiple s/n's & ranges, including the earlier unit (both the old and the new replacement have returned valid warranty status before), but the same error occurs.

Either there is some issue with the system, or the serial numbers known to be related to units with bad PSUs (and their subsequent replacements) have been deleted.

'Hopefully' it is just affecting me. I have printed out the page earlier showing the warranty period and connected serial number, but I assume this will increase the amount of red tape (and flaming hoops) one has to cut and jump through when it dies again.
Drag0nFly is offline  
post #120 of 242 Old 06-20-2018, 11:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Elkhorn, NE
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Rows View Post
Purchased my 5040ub in February of 2017. That one died just over the 30 day mark. They tried to send me a refurb and I refused to accept it, so they sent a new one.

That new replacement died a couple months later, so I decided to gamble on a refurb.

That refurb died a couple months later. They sent another refurb.

That refurb died a couple months later. I then asked what the hell was going on and they admitted they discovered bad circuitry within the power supply. Guaranteed my next refurb would have it addressed.

That refurb made it past the couple months mark, so I decided to have it professionally calibrated by Doug Weil (who did a fantastic job, btw) last week. It died two days ago.

I called and gave them hell. I said they had two choices... either they send me a brand new unit that is guaranteed not to break and refund my calibration cost, or they refund me what I paid for the projector and the calibration cost and I send them the POS back and get something else from another company. They said while they couldn't refund my calibration, they would send me a brand new replacement with two replacement lamps to make up for the calibration cost. I accepted. Should arrive today.

All deaths were the power supply issue. Just plain died each time. No lights... nothing. A couple of times were while I was using it, and the others were dead when I tried to fire them up after being off for days. I love this projector... when it's running. It looks especially beautiful post-calibration.
UPDATE: The replacement unit (brand new) that I received as a result of the above appears to have a perfectly functioning power supply. Zero issues so far. Gawd, I hope I didn't just jinx myself.
old corps likes this.
Two Rows is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off