Epson 5040/6040/9300 (UK) Power Supply Failure Rate - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Has your Epson 5040/6040 experienced failure of the Power Suply
Yes, my power supply failed 69 49.29%
No, my power supply has not failed 71 50.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 49Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 242 Old 01-13-2019, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,981
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 2684
Quote:
Originally Posted by acribb View Post
So the 5050UB is being released soon that we all assume will have the power supply issue fixed?
Just having fun and being a bit sarcastic/facetious here..but since Epson has never publicly or formally acknowledged that there was ever a power supply issue with the 5040, how can there be a fix for something that was never broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acribb View Post
So that I guess will be $2700 when it's first released.
The original MSRP for the 5040 in 2016 was $2999 and a market adjustment (lowered due to competition) followed in early 2017 to $2699.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acribb View Post
And we don't really know if the power supply issue will be fixed do we? I guess I can wait to see what happens after the 5050 is released to the price of the 5040 and weigh my choices then.
Nope...that requires Epson to acknowledge it was broken in the first place. It would not be unexpected that Epson wants, with time as its friend, for this to fade away quietly.
Alex solomon likes this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
gene4ht is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 242 Old 01-13-2019, 05:06 PM
Member
 
avscottso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 6
FWIW
My 5040UB will be 1 year old in two weeks with just under 3100 hours of usage as my only video device in the house. Do the math, it's on a lot, even while listening to music as the GUI.

I have noticed that if the projector is turned on and the preamp is off the fan goes into turbo speed more than sometimes. But if the preamp is on within a few seconds the fan speed is normal always.

Epson 5040UB FW1.11, Elite Screens 5D 100", Mac Mini/JRiver, Sony UBP-X700, OPPO BDP-105, ATV4K
Krell S1500/Martin-Logan LCR, Emotiva XPA-200/Martin Logan Surrounds, Sumiko S.10 dual subs
Emotiva XMC-1 V3/FW-5.1a, CRM-114
avscottso is offline  
post #183 of 242 Old 01-14-2019, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
acribb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 726
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by avscottso View Post
FWIW
My 5040UB will be 1 year old in two weeks with just under 3100 hours of usage as my only video device in the house. Do the math, it's on a lot, even while listening to music as the GUI.

I have noticed that if the projector is turned on and the preamp is off the fan goes into turbo speed more than sometimes. But if the preamp is on within a few seconds the fan speed is normal always.
Good to know.

Also, the Epson 4010 is $2k right now while the 5040 is $2100. I expect the 5040 will hold at $2100 until supplies are gone after the 5050 is released.

What is the competition to the Epson 5040 in the $2100 - $2500 price range that has the same deep blacks as the Epson? Deep blacks are very important for me.
acribb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #184 of 242 Old 01-24-2019, 05:11 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 62
The Sony HW45ES has deeper black levels than the Epson 5040 when it's iris is disabled.
RadiantHT is offline  
post #185 of 242 Old 02-06-2019, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
acribb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 726
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It's now $2000.
acribb is offline  
post #186 of 242 Old 02-06-2019, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
m. zillch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 12,868
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5342 Post(s)
Liked: 3853
That's a good sign for me: It often means the release of the new version [5050] is imminent.

My call: ads and pre-sale listings within one month of today.
m. zillch is offline  
post #187 of 242 Old 02-07-2019, 11:31 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
This is the second 5040Ube that is failed on me... im overseas, no way to send it back now. Does anyone know the part numbers for the replacement power module? Is it possible to buy a replacement part and have a local repair shop fix it?
Max Velimir Sidorov is offline  
post #188 of 242 Old 02-08-2019, 06:46 AM
Member
 
bondslex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Does the new 4050 and 4010 also have this problem?
bondslex is offline  
post #189 of 242 Old 02-08-2019, 07:55 AM
Senior Member
 
rfb6435's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Phoenix, AZ area
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Velimir Sidorov View Post
This is the second 5040Ube that is failed on me... im overseas, no way to send it back now. Does anyone know the part numbers for the replacement power module? Is it possible to buy a replacement part and have a local repair shop fix it?
Most people are still under warranty so they don't try to fix the board but in your case it might be worth it... I am betting that there is an easy fix for these that people will start doing once they are out of warranty. The board can probably even be upgraded to not fail again.

Out of curiosity, If you pull the board do you see any buldging or leaking capacitors like this (generic capacitor failure example from the web):


http://www.robotroom.com/Faulty-Capacitors-1.html

Capacitors are usually the first thing to fail in electronics and they are also usually easy to fix.

If it is the case you can replace them with new caps that have a higher voltage rating (as long as they physically fit on the boards) and it will likely make the board much more robust.

It would be good to see pictures and document your failure if it is the capacitors. You can also just desolder them and pull them off the board to test them with a multimeter that has a capacitor check function. If you don't have this almost any electronics repair shop can do this easily.

Also look at the traces on the board where the capacitors connect, I have fixed boards where the through holes have corroded due to bad glue or where traces have had some electro-migration that creates an electrical path where there shouldn't be one like this:


https://www.pcbway.com/blog/Engineer..._Analysis.html

Electromigration is also an easy fix in many cases where you can just use some isopropyl alcohol and an electronics brush. I recently fixed a Marantz receiver that was going into overheat protect because of a less extreme electromigration than the above picture.

-Rich
gene4ht likes this.

Quad Marantz AVR 9.2.(4+2) Atmos/DTS:X using Dual sr7010's + Dual scAtmos nr1403's
Marantz MM8003 150W/ch Amplifier Driving (L/C/R/SL/SR/SBL/SBR)
HTD Speakers L3 Tower L/R, L3 Center, Dual 12" L3 Subs, L2 Tower SL/SR, L2 Bkshlf SBL/SBR, Flat Panel WL/WR, Angled 6.5" In Ceiling FH/RH, 8" In Ceiling TM
Epson 5040UB Faux-K/3D with 106" Multi-Format Screen.
rfb6435 is offline  
post #190 of 242 Old 02-08-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,981
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 2684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Velimir Sidorov View Post
This is the second 5040Ube that is failed on me... im overseas, no way to send it back now. Does anyone know the part numbers for the replacement power module? Is it possible to buy a replacement part and have a local repair shop fix it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb6435 View Post
Most people are still under warranty so they don't try to fix the board but in your case it might be worth it... I am betting that there is an easy fix for these that people will start doing once they are out of warranty. The board can probably even be upgraded to not fail again.
I'm 100% in agreement with Rich! Having spent a career in the electronics industry, the majority of power supply failures are generally a simple/easy fix for any "competent" technician. For those of you out of warranty and who have never never used a soldering iron, it would be worthwhile getting a repair estimate from a "competent" repair facility.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
gene4ht is online now  
post #191 of 242 Old 02-08-2019, 11:14 AM
Senior Member
 
rfb6435's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Phoenix, AZ area
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
I'm 100% in agreement with Rich! Having spent a career in the electronics industry, the majority of power supply failures are generally a simple/easy fix for any "competent" technician. For those of you out of warranty and who have never never used a soldering iron, it would be worthwhile getting a repair estimate from a "competent" repair facility.
I have ran into a few cases where resistors or diode bridges have also failed on power supplies (also easy things to check).

I am also willing to bet that given the failure rate that they all have the same weak component so once it is identified everyone will know what to fix! If you are extra nice to a second or third level epson support tech you might be able to get them to tell you what to look for..... Especially if you explain that you are in Europe and just want to get it working again.

You could even try calling one of the official service centers for Epson. The US website shows 2 within 20 miles of me in Phoenix. If you call enough of them (or show up in person) someone is bound to tell you what actually fails on the board or will be able to just fix it for you.

Epson UK has a london service center for the TW9300: https://www.epson.co.uk/support?prod..._repair_center

Other overseas locations should also have one...

-Rich
descalabro likes this.

Quad Marantz AVR 9.2.(4+2) Atmos/DTS:X using Dual sr7010's + Dual scAtmos nr1403's
Marantz MM8003 150W/ch Amplifier Driving (L/C/R/SL/SR/SBL/SBR)
HTD Speakers L3 Tower L/R, L3 Center, Dual 12" L3 Subs, L2 Tower SL/SR, L2 Bkshlf SBL/SBR, Flat Panel WL/WR, Angled 6.5" In Ceiling FH/RH, 8" In Ceiling TM
Epson 5040UB Faux-K/3D with 106" Multi-Format Screen.

Last edited by rfb6435; 02-08-2019 at 11:18 AM.
rfb6435 is offline  
post #192 of 242 Old 02-08-2019, 11:49 AM
Member
 
jt7272's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I too have been waiting for someone with a failed unit to open it up and take some pictures. My 6040ub is and always has been problem-free but I have mentally prepared myself for the possibility of having to fix it myself at some point.

If anyone with a failed unit is willing to take pictures and document or, even better, donate a broken unit, I would be happy to investigate it myself to try to find a fix. It is just so disappointing to see so many people with this failure which could be simple to fix with some skill and a little bit of courage.

Epson 6040ub
Denon AVR-X3400H + Mirage OMD-5 surrounds
Home-made Hybrid PCB Electrostatic Floorstanding L+R Speakers (with built-in DSP + amps)
Home-made sub with 15" Ultimax woofer, Dayton SA1000 Amp
Sony PS4, Sony UBP-X800, Panasonic DP-UB820
jt7272 is offline  
post #193 of 242 Old 02-08-2019, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,981
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 2684
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb6435 View Post
I have ran into a few cases where resistors or diode bridges have also failed on power supplies (also easy things to check).

I am also willing to bet that given the failure rate that they all have the same weak component so once it is identified everyone will know what to fix! If you are extra nice to a second or third level epson support tech you might be able to get them to tell you what to look for..... Especially if you explain that you are in Europe and just want to get it working again.

You could even try calling one of the official service centers for Epson. The US website shows 2 within 20 miles of me in Phoenix. If you call enough of them (or show up in person) someone is bound to tell you what actually fails on the board or will be able to just fix it for you.

Epson UK has a london service center for the TW9300: https://www.epson.co.uk/support?prod..._repair_center

Other overseas locations should also have one...

-Rich

Yep, diode bridges/rectifiers are another common PS failure point. In any case, as you've noted, Epson is fully aware of the faulty component...likely something under or not meeting specifications or just a bad production run. And it's worth the effort to have a support rep/technician reveal the faulty component(s)...most won't...but a truly helpful/honest one just might.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203

Last edited by gene4ht; 02-08-2019 at 11:57 AM. Reason: typo
gene4ht is online now  
post #194 of 242 Old 02-08-2019, 01:38 PM
Senior Member
 
rfb6435's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Phoenix, AZ area
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Yep, diode bridges/rectifiers are another common PS failure point. In any case, as you've noted, Epson is fully aware of the faulty component...likely something under or not meeting specifications or just a bad production run. And it's worth the effort to have a support rep/technician reveal the faulty component(s)...most won't...but a truly helpful/honest one just might.

Sounds like he should send the failure to you (or one of us) for analysis.

I am pretty busy lately and don't have a full lab with an oscilloscope to fully look at a PWM power supply (just a workbench in my office and some meters which is currently full of Marantz AVRs) so I am probably not the best choice.

It would be really good for future DIYers!

-Rich

Quad Marantz AVR 9.2.(4+2) Atmos/DTS:X using Dual sr7010's + Dual scAtmos nr1403's
Marantz MM8003 150W/ch Amplifier Driving (L/C/R/SL/SR/SBL/SBR)
HTD Speakers L3 Tower L/R, L3 Center, Dual 12" L3 Subs, L2 Tower SL/SR, L2 Bkshlf SBL/SBR, Flat Panel WL/WR, Angled 6.5" In Ceiling FH/RH, 8" In Ceiling TM
Epson 5040UB Faux-K/3D with 106" Multi-Format Screen.
rfb6435 is offline  
post #195 of 242 Old 02-08-2019, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,981
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 2684
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb6435 View Post
Sounds like he should send the failure to you (or one of us) for analysis.

I am pretty busy lately and don't have a full lab with an oscilloscope to fully look at a PWM power supply (just a workbench in my office and some meters which is currently full of Marantz AVRs) so I am probably not the best choice.

It would be really good for future DIYers!

-Rich
Yep...we're on the same page. I'm retired now and don't have any resources either...just trying to be a little helpful to others here.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
gene4ht is online now  
post #196 of 242 Old 02-10-2019, 01:21 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb6435 View Post
Sounds like he should send the failure to you (or one of us) for analysis.

I am pretty busy lately and don't have a full lab with an oscilloscope to fully look at a PWM power supply (just a workbench in my office and some meters which is currently full of Marantz AVRs) so I am probably not the best choice.

It would be really good for future DIYers!

-Rich
Rich, gene4ht, thanks guys! Ill try to take it to a local authorized repair shop and see what they say, hopefully i can get some photos and maybe get a quick fix for these things... hopefully, fingers, toes, ears crossed.
gene4ht likes this.
Max Velimir Sidorov is offline  
post #197 of 242 Old 02-12-2019, 04:58 AM
Member
 
cme4brain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: South Eastern Virginia, USA
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hello AVS forum, I am a long time member away for a few years. I have been reading this thread with great interest. My 5030 has died for the second time, an HDMI port failure again. The first fail was 1 month out of warranty costing me $900 for an entire motherboard- clearly Epson saved $5 on manufacturing by putting everything on one board instead of the smart thing of putting the HDMI port on a separate, easily replaceable card- same for the power supply. I watch less than 4 hours PER WEEK Now that my 5030 has failed a second time I need a replacement but am wary of buying the obvious upgrade the 5040. The 4050 is coming out but has lower contrast. I agree with all the above posts. it hurts my feelings and pocketbook that Epson clearly knows of the power supply issue and will merely swap out random other units and hope you don't get another failure. And BTW, my Yamaha AVR RX810 series has failed a second time- its HDMI port#1 failed a year ago and now HDMI port#2 failed, nearly simultaneously with the Epson 5030.
cme4brain is offline  
post #198 of 242 Old 02-12-2019, 08:19 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cme4brain View Post
Hello AVS forum, I am a long time member away for a few years. I have been reading this thread with great interest. My 5030 has died for the second time, an HDMI port failure again. The first fail was 1 month out of warranty costing me $900 for an entire motherboard- clearly Epson saved $5 on manufacturing by putting everything on one board instead of the smart thing of putting the HDMI port on a separate, easily replaceable card- same for the power supply. I watch less than 4 hours PER WEEK Now that my 5030 has failed a second time I need a replacement but am wary of buying the obvious upgrade the 5040. The 4050 is coming out but has lower contrast. I agree with all the above posts. it hurts my feelings and pocketbook that Epson clearly knows of the power supply issue and will merely swap out random other units and hope you don't get another failure. And BTW, my Yamaha AVR RX810 series has failed a second time- its HDMI port#1 failed a year ago and now HDMI port#2 failed, nearly simultaneously with the Epson 5030.
Planned obsolescence at its finest...
Max Velimir Sidorov is offline  
post #199 of 242 Old 02-14-2019, 07:05 AM
Senior Member
 
JonfromCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Council Bluffs Iowa
Posts: 488
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 156
I've been contemplating taking a chance on a 5040. After reading this thread and thinking about the various board failures I've experienced it's a safe assumption that it could be more than a generic parts problem and could very well include a bad board design. It's no longer a risk I'm willing to take. Thanks guys.
JonfromCB is offline  
post #200 of 242 Old 02-20-2019, 02:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yup im living with a blue tint on the left half of the screen because im afraid ill get something worse if I warranty it.not real happy with Epson and will not buy from them again.
Dirt9 is offline  
post #201 of 242 Old 02-21-2019, 07:11 PM
Newbie
 
Fefrank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've been doing a lot of research these past few weeks on this issue. As a matter of fact this official response from Epson on an poor Amazon.com review of the 5040ub, made me make the purchase. Please see response below;

"Epson has identified and addressed an issue in select projector models that may cause a small percentage of units to not power on. The issue has already been addressed in models shipping from Epson, but there is a possibility of a small fraction of units still in channel inventory that may be affected. Epson places the highest priority on product quality and customer satisfaction. For customers in need of a replacement unit, please contact Epson customer support at 1-800-788-0336. We will handle each occurrence on a case-by-case basis consistent with our warranty."

I would consider this matter resolved by now. I guess I would have to wait and see when I get the projector tomorrow.
Fefrank is offline  
post #202 of 242 Old 02-22-2019, 03:13 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fefrank View Post
I've been doing a lot of research these past few weeks on this issue. As a matter of fact this official response from Epson on an poor Amazon.com review of the 5040ub, made me make the purchase. Please see response below;

"Epson has identified and addressed an issue in select projector models that may cause a small percentage of units to not power on. The issue has already been addressed in models shipping from Epson, but there is a possibility of a small fraction of units still in channel inventory that may be affected. Epson places the highest priority on product quality and customer satisfaction. For customers in need of a replacement unit, please contact Epson customer support at 1-800-788-0336. We will handle each occurrence on a case-by-case basis consistent with our warranty."

I would consider this matter resolved by now. I guess I would have to wait and see when I get the projector tomorrow.
You are a very trusting person.
Alex solomon and m. zillch like this.
RadiantHT is offline  
post #203 of 242 Old 02-22-2019, 07:00 PM
Newbie
 
Fefrank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantHT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fefrank View Post
I've been doing a lot of research these past few weeks on this issue. As a matter of fact this official response from Epson on an poor Amazon.com review of the 5040ub, made me make the purchase. Please see response below;

"Epson has identified and addressed an issue in select projector models that may cause a small percentage of units to not power on. The issue has already been addressed in models shipping from Epson, but there is a possibility of a small fraction of units still in channel inventory that may be affected. Epson places the highest priority on product quality and customer satisfaction. For customers in need of a replacement unit, please contact Epson customer support at 1-800-788-0336. We will handle each occurrence on a case-by-case basis consistent with our warranty."

I would consider this matter resolved by now. I guess I would have to wait and see when I get the projector tomorrow.
You are a very trusting person.
Lol. I'm very trusting of the brand. I've been a faithful Epson buyer since 2004. They have never failed me so far. Last time I had an issue with them, it was with a home Cinema 8350. I returned that thing 5 times, for all different reasons. They then upgraded me to a top of the line (at the time) Epson 5010. No questions asked. Had that projector for nearly 7 years now. They took care of me multiple times before that too. So when you say I'm a very trusting person you are judging me by what I said without any past context.
Alex solomon likes this.
Fefrank is offline  
post #204 of 242 Old 02-26-2019, 04:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Mine just failed on me... around 1300 hours. It was bought in July 2017.

I am contacting Epson and also looking at current models, in case I decide for a new one..
Fosgatt is offline  
post #205 of 242 Old 02-27-2019, 01:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosgatt View Post
Mine just failed on me... around 1300 hours. It was bought in July 2017.

I am contacting Epson and also looking at current models, in case I decide for a new one..
They sent a replacement overnight.. just finished calibrating it...
This issue is really unfortunate, but Epson's quick response was good at least.

Not happy about the replacement being a refurbished unit, but it is what it is.
Fosgatt is offline  
post #206 of 242 Old 02-27-2019, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Alex solomon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosgatt View Post
They sent a replacement overnight.. just finished calibrating it...
This issue is really unfortunate, but Epson's quick response was good at least.

Not happy about the replacement being a refurbished unit, but it is what it is.

It is nice they overnight a replacement albeit a refurbished unit. But what happens if you were outside for the warranty period? I don't buy any expensive equipment for a few years of usage. I want it to last long!
Alex solomon is offline  
post #207 of 242 Old 03-01-2019, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
acribb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 726
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Any ideas on how much longer the 5040 is going to be offered for sale? Wondering if I should pull the trigger now from Crutchfield for $2k shipped or wait. My theater won't be ready until May.
acribb is offline  
post #208 of 242 Old 03-01-2019, 03:44 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by acribb View Post
Any ideas on how much longer the 5040 is going to be offered for sale? Wondering if I should pull the trigger now from Crutchfield for $2k shipped or wait. My theater won't be ready until May.
Don't do it. It is a flawed design with horrible durability.
RadiantHT is offline  
post #209 of 242 Old 03-01-2019, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
acribb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 726
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What's a comparable alternative? Who's to say the next version of the Epson won't have issues?
acribb is offline  
post #210 of 242 Old 03-01-2019, 04:22 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by acribb View Post
What's a comparable alternative? Who's to say the next version of the Epson won't have issues?
There is always risk involved with any new product. However, the Epson 5040 is a known commodity and we know it has a time bomb design. I would wait for the release of the Epson 5050. If not, other options would be b-stock JVC, Epson 3900, or Sony HW45ES.
RadiantHT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off