Official BenQ HT2550 4K HDR Projector Review and Owners Thread - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 216Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #421 of 666 Old 12-08-2018, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
BradP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshbrown1987 View Post
This is what I use and one of the slimmest mounts I found. Mount-It! Ceiling Projector Mount With Security Lock, Universal Fit, Low-Profile & Anti-Theft Lockable Bracket With Full Motion Adjustment, 44 Lbs Capacity (MI-609) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072F4RGB4..._I5adCbQQDQ0QQ

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Nice, I was peeking at this one for a little less $ even - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PR3ZTE2/

However the reviews on it are a bit shaky, the mount-it may be a little more sturdy and have easier adjustments and worth the extra $. Do you know it yours came with any standoffs? I'll need to push these extra-low profiles down about an inch further, I seem to be right in a weird non-sweet spot where I need to be too far down for low profile, but too far up for a standard mount.

I guess I could always try the existing 5.9 inch mounts I have and tilt upward though I assume then I'm using keystone and sort of missing the plot altogether. Hey, it's what you get for buying a model without any lens shift right?

Last edited by BradP; 12-08-2018 at 11:31 AM.
BradP is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #422 of 666 Old 12-08-2018, 11:38 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradP View Post
Nice, I was peeking at this one for a little less $ even - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PR3ZTE2/

However the reviews on it are a bit shaky, the mount-it may be a little more sturdy and have easier adjustments and worth the extra $. Do you know it yours came with any standoffs? I'll need to push these extra-low profiles down about an inch further, I seem to be right in a weird non-sweet spot where I need to be too far down for low profile, but too far up for a standard mount.
I can say 100% get the one I purchased and you'll be happy. I painted it white and it's amazing easy adjustment. The peerless $130 mount is what I almost bought but glad I went with mount it. Worked out for my needs. I used it for my epson hc2150 and worked AMAZING with stand off spacers and everything.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
joshbrown1987 is offline  
post #423 of 666 Old 12-08-2018, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
BradP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshbrown1987 View Post
I can say 100% get the one I purchased and you'll be happy. I painted it white and it's amazing easy adjustment. The peerless $130 mount is what I almost bought but glad I went with mount it. Worked out for my needs. I used it for my epson hc2150 and worked AMAZING with stand off spacers and everything.
Sold. What I'm more curious about is what kind of tight or angled tools you need to get at all the screws with that tight of clearance and what the order you did the connections in (mount to ceiling first or mount to projector first?) It looks like a tricky one.
BradP is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #424 of 666 Old 12-08-2018, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,487
Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2689 Post(s)
Liked: 2658
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshbrown1987 View Post
I can say 100% get the one I purchased and you'll be happy. I painted it white and it's amazing easy adjustment. The peerless $130 mount is what I almost bought but glad I went with mount it. Worked out for my needs. I used it for my epson hc2150 and worked AMAZING with stand off spacers and everything.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk


Ugh. I had a peerless convertible ceiling/wall mount that I bought for $120 and then stupidly sold. I should have kept it as I haven’t found anything beer that quality for less than $250.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #425 of 666 Old 12-08-2018, 04:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradP View Post
Sold. What I'm more curious about is what kind of tight or angled tools you need to get at all the screws with that tight of clearance and what the order you did the connections in (mount to ceiling first or mount to projector first?) It looks like a tricky one.
It's easy. It attaches to projector without it being mounted. The mount basically splits in half and twist lock in place. It's really easy and slim. I've attached photos of my hc2150 mounted with it. Looking to switch to tk800 or ht2550 but for now the 2150 meets my needs. I do want 4k though.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
joshbrown1987 is offline  
post #426 of 666 Old 12-08-2018, 04:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Also for everyone that wants to judge my mount and possibly the outlet install. It's in my main living room and I'm on a limited budget so they do the best I could do. The extra block on power cord is a surge protector. Possibly useless yes but I figured better safe than sorry. I do have a GFI plug installed in the ceiling when I wired things up. My small 2 bedroom house this was my only option to get rid of my TV. Once the screen is on no one looks at power set up anyhow.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
sage11x likes this.
joshbrown1987 is offline  
post #427 of 666 Old 12-08-2018, 04:17 PM
Member
 
jgourlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lethbridge AB Canada
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshbrown1987 View Post
Also for everyone that wants to judge my mount and possibly the outlet install. It's in my main living room and I'm on a limited budget so they do the best I could do. The extra block on power cord is a surge protector. Possibly useless yes but I figured better safe than sorry. I do have a GFI plug installed in the ceiling when I wired things up. My small 2 bedroom house this was my only option to get rid of my TV. Once the screen is on no one looks at power set up anyhow.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
I was gonna say that was a nice looking cable install
sage11x and joshbrown1987 like this.
jgourlie is offline  
post #428 of 666 Old 12-08-2018, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,487
Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2689 Post(s)
Liked: 2658
Official BenQ HT2550 4K HDR Projector Review and Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshbrown1987 View Post
Also for everyone that wants to judge my mount and possibly the outlet install. It's in my main living room and I'm on a limited budget so they do the best I could do. The extra block on power cord is a surge protector. Possibly useless yes but I figured better safe than sorry. I do have a GFI plug installed in the ceiling when I wired things up. My small 2 bedroom house this was my only option to get rid of my TV. Once the screen is on no one looks at power set up anyhow.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk


Yeah I think you’re being too hard on yourself. That install looks super clean. I moved from a condo to our apartment a little over a year ago and my cords are run straight up my wall under a painted cord concealer. When/if we finally find a house (wish me luck) I hope to have a dedicated theater again but right now my projector is in the living room mounted to a 2x6 mounted to the wall. Lol! I still get nothing but compliments on the room and theater.

That said I am a sucker for quality surge suppression. My plasmas are plugged into a $250 APC power conditioner and the projector is plugged into a $100 UPS only because we lose power with enough frequency that I’m scared to lose a bulb.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #429 of 666 Old 12-09-2018, 06:21 AM
Member
 
DaveMcLain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Central Missouri
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Yeah I think you’re being too hard on yourself. That install looks super clean. I moved from a condo to our apartment a little over a year ago and my cords are run straight up my wall under a painted cord concealer. When/if we finally find a house (wish me luck) I hope to have a dedicated theater again but right now my projector is in the living room mounted to a 2x6 mounted to the wall. Lol! I still get nothing but compliments on the room and theater.

That said I am a sucker for quality surge suppression. My plasmas are plugged into a $250 APC power conditioner and the projector is plugged into a $100 UPS only because we lose power with enough frequency that I’m scared to lose a bulb.
I think it looks good too and very similar to what I did when I installed my projector. I ended up using an HDMI jack plate from Monoprice that fit a decorator style switch plate. Then I put about a 12 inch white HDMI cable from that jack to the projector which looks slick.
DaveMcLain is offline  
post #430 of 666 Old 12-09-2018, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
BradP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshbrown1987 View Post
It's easy. It attaches to projector without it being mounted. The mount basically splits in half and twist lock in place. It's really easy and slim.
Thanks, yes the twist install looks ideal for me. So you mount 1/2 to the projector and the other 1/2 to the ceiling then twist on. That's how to do a low profile mount! Ordered.

For now, I have the projector on a temporary device slightly tilted upward, just a very small amount of trapezoid at the bottom as a result, so I suppose I could get away with a lower ceiling drop, but may as well do it perfectly level if I can.

And yes, your cabling is clean! I'm having nightmares still wondering how much it's going to cost me, and how much drywall damage, to get a new HDMI cable 4 feet back in my ceiling. Ironically adding a new power outlet back there will be EASIER according to my electrician (just splice into the other one). If only HDMI was as forgiving!
BradP is offline  
post #431 of 666 Old 12-09-2018, 10:10 PM
Member
 
jgourlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lethbridge AB Canada
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Here is an interesting question for you guys. Is it just me or does this projector not have an upscale?

The reason I ask is because my satellite service broadcasts in 720p and that is the setting it’s set to on my satellite receiver. I have noticed that the Benq shows a 720p signal. I don’t see this with my Xbox or Panasonic uhd player because they are set at 4k.

Am I missing a setting on the Benq for it to upscale to 4k?

If there isn’t an upscaler should I have my Denon 4400 upscale my satellite signal to 4k?

What do you guys think?
jgourlie is offline  
post #432 of 666 Old 12-09-2018, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Walnut, CA, USA
Posts: 4,049
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgourlie View Post
Here is an interesting question for you guys. Is it just me or does this projector not have an upscale?

The reason I ask is because my satellite service broadcasts in 720p and that is the setting it’s set to on my satellite receiver. I have noticed that the Benq shows a 720p signal. I don’t see this with my Xbox or Panasonic uhd player because they are set at 4k.

Am I missing a setting on the Benq for it to upscale to 4k?

If there isn’t an upscaler should I have my Denon 4400 upscale my satellite signal to 4k?

What do you guys think?
If the image is filling your screen, then the projector is upscaling it to 4k. The projector says the input is 720 or 1080 or even 480, and the projector must scale that resolution to utilize the whole chip. If it say 4k, then that just means the source was either native 4k or scaled to 4k before it reached the projector. You can always compare the image quality of the Denon scaling vs the projector's.

*********************
Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
dreamer is offline  
post #433 of 666 Old 12-10-2018, 11:05 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I’ve had this projector for a full week now and have fed it every type of digital video format at varying resolutions. Can say with confidence that not only does it upscale beautifully, it outperforms the upscaling capabilities of my (admittedly mid-range) 4K TV no contest.

Also I’m reading that the very newest units are shipping out with updated firmware. My first arrived with a broken lamp. My second has the 1.0.3 that fixed so many issues. Hate to try my luck a third time- but is anyone considering doing a cross-ship/exchange with BenQ for the latest updates?

Shame that these can’t be updated remotely.
ThatsPureCinema is offline  
post #434 of 666 Old 12-10-2018, 09:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Appreciate the input on the cabling I truly think it's "ok" for my skill level and I have seen much worse wires ran with wire hides and not very cleanly but I still have OCD and wish I could build a box that would cover all but the face of the unit and vent with a decent large 6" fan into my attic. But if I EVER changed PJ like I plan to with ht255p or tk800 purchase soon since their throw is different the cabinet for my current Epson would become useless and a hole in my ceiling.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
joshbrown1987 is offline  
post #435 of 666 Old 12-11-2018, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
BradP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshbrown1987 View Post
It's easy. It attaches to projector without it being mounted. The mount basically splits in half and twist lock in place. It's really easy and slim. I've attached photos of my hc2150 mounted with it. Looking to switch to tk800 or ht2550 but for now the 2150 meets my needs. I do want 4k though.
Got mine today and you're right, lots of stuff for the price, even two colors of extender bars. Looks like you cut yours to avoid the overhang which I'll do as well once I determine the ideal pattern to hit the the mount points of the HT2550. Those of you who ceiling mounted one before, it didn't matter if the ceiling mount point was off-center as long as the lens was centered with the screen right? I will likely have to push this mount pretty far to one side and use a long extender arm to hit the other mount screw hole in order to hit my back-to-front of room running ceiling studs.

Also, you weren't kidding about low profile. This adds only 3 inches I'd say from celing to projector and I need to hit that 4.5 inches so I'm going to need to figure out a way to add an extra inch and a half between the mount and the projector, probably will need a hardware store trip to purchase some extra long metric screws for the Benq and some more standoffs (looks like the standoffs included will add maybe a quarter inch but not the extra 1.25 inches I'll need in there.

Other than that, looks good, I see how it all hooks up and just 3 holes into the ceiling for the mount plate. Haven't quite been able to see where the wiggle room to twist left to right or tilt back to front will be yet, though I assume that's easier to do once everything is solid.
joshbrown1987 likes this.
BradP is offline  
post #436 of 666 Old 12-11-2018, 03:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradP View Post
Got mine today and you're right, lots of stuff for the price, even two colors of extender bars. Looks like you cut yours to avoid the overhang which I'll do as well once I determine the ideal pattern to hit the the mount points of the HT2550. Those of you who ceiling mounted one before, it didn't matter if the ceiling mount point was off-center as long as the lens was centered with the screen right? I will likely have to push this mount pretty far to one side and use a long extender arm to hit the other mount screw hole in order to hit my back-to-front of room running ceiling studs.

Also, you weren't kidding about low profile. This adds only 3 inches I'd say from celing to projector and I need to hit that 4.5 inches so I'm going to need to figure out a way to add an extra inch and a half between the mount and the projector, probably will need a hardware store trip to purchase some extra long metric screws for the Benq and some more standoffs (looks like the standoffs included will add maybe a quarter inch but not the extra 1.25 inches I'll need in there.

Other than that, looks good, I see how it all hooks up and just 3 holes into the ceiling for the mount plate. Haven't quite been able to see where the wiggle room to twist left to right or tilt back to front will be yet, though I assume that's easier to do once everything is solid.
Yeah it's the best mount for the $ honestly and it's easy to adjust once set up. Again I painted mine white. Used appliance paint as it resist scratches much more. Glad to hear you like it. Stand offs can be made from tubing of any solid material. I had a few old tv mounting kits that had spacers that worked perfect for my epson. Also as long as the lens is centered you should be good. IMO if you're okay with a bit if keystones. Set that puppy up as tight as possibly with the current standoffs and see how it works out. That's what I would do 1st. I only used 2 bolts directly into a stud and everything worked well.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
joshbrown1987 is offline  
post #437 of 666 Old 12-12-2018, 07:38 PM
Member
 
zambine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Does anyone use their HT2550 with an Nvidia Shield?

My Shield recommends an HDMI setting of 4k resolution, 59.940 Hz, and YUV 420 10-bit Rec. 2020. I don't know if that is the optimal setting for this projector or not (it also recommends this setting for my LGC8 OLED). 12-bit color is available as is 444 and 422. Would I see any improvements on 4K HDR movies by changing to different HDMI setting? I also can't seem to find if the HT2550 supports 12-bit or not.
GLoBaLReBeL likes this.
zambine is online now  
post #438 of 666 Old 12-18-2018, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
BradP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 25
My W1070 to HT2550 move and mount migration adventure continues. At a stopping point and could use some suggestions.

Where we left off: My I-Joists in the ceiling run back to front which limits my ability to exactly center the mount horizontally. Additionally, we determined my 4.25 inch offset called for a very close to ceiling mount, so specialty mounts with low profile ability were needed.

Here's where I am today.

- My electrician cut in a spot for a new outlet so we're good there (you'll see it in the photos). We were then able to confirm we were clear of the water and power lines back there, and safe to drill up into the ceiling.

- Since I purchased this mount per recommendation: https://www.amazon.com/d/Projector-M...ent/B072F4RGB4 , I decided to make a go with this one before purchasing something else.

- Electrician was able to confirm location of the i-joist to the left (looking towards back of room from front) of the new power outlet hole. Two of the 3 holes in the mount-it plate are now going into that joist. I will be using a Hilti toggler for the 3rd hole.

- Since the i-beam is left of center of the room by close to 2 inches, and the Benq lens is also to the left, I determined I would not be able to even close to center mount this plate on the projector, after doing some math, realized I would need to not only use 1 inch offsets and longer M4 screws to move this ULTRA close to the ceiling mount down a bit more, I would also need to place the mount off the edge of the projector to center it up.

And now, photos and questions for help.

- Once the projector is locked into the mount, there's no way to make adjustments to it unless I leave the 3 screws into the ceiling plate joint loose, but once the projector is up there, it's impossible to get at them to tighten them. Am I missing something obvious here?

- Am I just asking for trouble in the way I used the rails to hit the 3 mount holes and still have the lens be centered in the room? No lens shift projectors are the worst.

- Given the situation and inflexibility of my room, should I be giving up on this mount? Something just doesn't look right about the way it's done

- I'm noticing some blur on the grid in the lower left corner of the screen in the test pattern, should I be worried my refurb needs to get exchanged?


If you made it this far, thanks -- Please take a peek at the photos and any advice you give will be humbly appreciated. Oh, in one of the photos I used blue tape on the ceiling to mark the two back-to-front i-beam locations, and left the yellow level showing the exact center
of the room. I also attempted to place the Benq on a stool at the exact spot it needs to be (left to right, not at that height) to better illustrate the issue.

Thoughts? Thank you all so so much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BENQ Mount on Projector.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	782.9 KB
ID:	2498526   Click image for larger version

Name:	BENQ Mount Plate.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	426.8 KB
ID:	2498528   Click image for larger version

Name:	BENQ Mounted to Ceiling.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	485.5 KB
ID:	2498530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Room Center vs Mount.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	530.0 KB
ID:	2498532  
BradP is offline  
post #439 of 666 Old 12-18-2018, 09:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradP View Post
My W1070 to HT2550 move and mount migration adventure continues. At a stopping point and could use some suggestions.



Where we left off: My I-Joists in the ceiling run back to front which limits my ability to exactly center the mount horizontally. Additionally, we determined my 4.25 inch offset called for a very close to ceiling mount, so specialty mounts with low profile ability were needed.



Here's where I am today.



- My electrician cut in a spot for a new outlet so we're good there (you'll see it in the photos). We were then able to confirm we were clear of the water and power lines back there, and safe to drill up into the ceiling.



- Since I purchased this mount per recommendation: https://www.amazon.com/d/Projector-M...ent/B072F4RGB4 , I decided to make a go with this one before purchasing something else.



- Electrician was able to confirm location of the i-joist to the left (looking towards back of room from front) of the new power outlet hole. Two of the 3 holes in the mount-it plate are now going into that joist. I will be using a Hilti toggler for the 3rd hole.



- Since the i-beam is left of center of the room by close to 2 inches, and the Benq lens is also to the left, I determined I would not be able to even close to center mount this plate on the projector, after doing some math, realized I would need to not only use 1 inch offsets and longer M4 screws to move this ULTRA close to the ceiling mount down a bit more, I would also need to place the mount off the edge of the projector to center it up.



And now, photos and questions for help.



- Once the projector is locked into the mount, there's no way to make adjustments to it unless I leave the 3 screws into the ceiling plate joint loose, but once the projector is up there, it's impossible to get at them to tighten them. Am I missing something obvious here?



- Am I just asking for trouble in the way I used the rails to hit the 3 mount holes and still have the lens be centered in the room? No lens shift projectors are the worst.



- Given the situation and inflexibility of my room, should I be giving up on this mount? Something just doesn't look right about the way it's done



- I'm noticing some blur on the grid in the lower left corner of the screen in the test pattern, should I be worried my refurb needs to get exchanged?





If you made it this far, thanks -- Please take a peek at the photos and any advice you give will be humbly appreciated. Oh, in one of the photos I used blue tape on the ceiling to mark the two back-to-front i-beam locations, and left the yellow level showing the exact center

of the room. I also attempted to place the Benq on a stool at the exact spot it needs to be (left to right, not at that height) to better illustrate the issue.



Thoughts? Thank you all so so much.
You can actually loosen the middle bolt on the mount and you'll get a bit of flex and adjustment out of it. If it's super tight you're right it's not easy to truly adjust. I recommended that mount and I really hope it works for you. I've not had much issue with mine. Even without using the lens shift of my current hc2150 I can make small but decently detailed adjustments. I fear maybe you'll need the peerless mount if you want to stay slim. I only have 2 screws into the stud in my ceiling and it's solid for sure.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
joshbrown1987 is offline  
post #440 of 666 Old 12-18-2018, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
BradP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshbrown1987 View Post
You can actually loosen the middle bolt on the mount and you'll get a bit of flex and adjustment out of it. If it's super tight you're right it's not easy to truly adjust. I recommended that mount and I really hope it works for you. I've not had much issue with mine. Even without using the lens shift of my current hc2150 I can make small but decently detailed adjustments. I fear maybe you'll need the peerless mount if you want to stay slim. I only have 2 screws into the stud in my ceiling and it's solid for sure.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Appreciate the quick reply. I do see why you recommended, it's a quality product. It just wasn't clear to me how to make adjustments (and may still not be) with the unit up there and to re-tighten. So you are saying leave that bigger middle screw loose, not the 3 smaller screws that go into the plate? I had loosened those enough to get that plate as level as I could but then found if I didn't tighten all 3 of them back up before I hung the projector, they were impossible to reach. This mount is a far cry sadly from the ones with visible dials you can loosen and tighten with the unit up there. I may need to rethink it if I can go back to finding one that also stays low profile.

The reason I think I want to put the 3rd screw into the ceiling if I keep this one is that there's a ton of weight being distributed to that side (left side as you face the screen) because of how far to the right I had to place the mount itself on the projector in order for that lens to get exact room centered (see pics).
BradP is offline  
post #441 of 666 Old 12-18-2018, 09:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 8
While keystones sucks any not always the best option at all the real question is with Minimal keystones and YES the big screw in middle is what I left loose. The other 3 smaller allen head I believe I left as centered(level) as possibly. Again with Minimal keystones can you get the PJ to produce a image that fills the screen from your current set up?

I do agree with you wanting more screws in I did not read all the post prior to answering that.

As far as the image blur issue that is somewhat odd but not uncommon sadly from what reviews of these units show. Is it very noticeable on a test pattern or what?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
joshbrown1987 is offline  
post #442 of 666 Old 12-18-2018, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
BradP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshbrown1987 View Post
While keystones sucks any not always the best option at all the real question is with Minimal keystones and YES the big screw in middle is what I left loose. The other 3 smaller allen head I believe I left as centered(level) as possibly. Again with Minimal keystones can you get the PJ to produce a image that fills the screen from your current set up?

I do agree with you wanting more screws in I did not read all the post prior to answering that.

As far as the image blur issue that is somewhat odd but not uncommon sadly from what reviews of these units show. Is it very noticeable on a test pattern or what?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Thanks, tomorrow, I'll get the hilti toggle up there for the 3rd hole and mess with it some more. I'll level the 3 smaller outer screws then loosen the middle to see if that gets me the adjustment I needed. The issue I'm running into is that because I had to put the mount plate so far to the right of the projector, the left side is sagging unless things are REALLY tight up there. So it may be a challenge with this mount since everything really needs to be tight up there. I assume when you lock it in by giving it that clockwise twist, the tops of those welded 4 screws/prongs then should rest evenly on the plate.

I do have a full picture (albeit slightly off level and a little high) due to the mount not being quite rock solid. I'm not against a slight downward angle as well rather than keystone. I could also get longer m4 screws and lengthen my standoffs more than an inch. This mount almost does TOO good a job getting this thing close to the ceiling. Everything else was dropping 1-2 inches too far at minimum, this one is an inch too close!

Where I am though I'm at minimum zoom since I wanted to place the projector above the bartop instead of a row of seats. It fills the screen though I saw some fairly significant blur in the lower left corner on the test pattern leading me to wonder if I should see if Benq will swap for another unit if this is something folks have gotten remedied by swapping -- It's a refurb after all, so I like to pay extra attention to any potential flaws.
joshbrown1987 likes this.
BradP is offline  
post #443 of 666 Old 12-18-2018, 10:36 PM
Member
 
flyers10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Maybe try a chief rsau or rpau mount. Low profile and both offer an optional lens shift bracket that allows you to slide projector up to about 3" to the left or right.
flyers10 is online now  
post #444 of 666 Old 12-19-2018, 05:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Slump Buster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buffalo/Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just ordered a refurb of this model from buydig and I fear that it may come with older firmware. Can someone point me in the direction of the cheapest method to upgrade? I know that we are supposed to send it to an authorized repair center - are some cheaper than others? Is the firmware floating around somewhere on the interwebs? Thanks!
Slump Buster is offline  
post #445 of 666 Old 12-19-2018, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
BradP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers10 View Post
Maybe try a chief rsau or rpau mount. Low profile and both offer an optional lens shift bracket that allows you to slide projector up to about 3" to the left or right.
Thanks - I believe this will be my next purchase.

Unfortunately, I had to give up the mount-it bracket suggested earlier after another couple hours and extra holes in the ceiling later. Unfortunately, as nice as that mount is, it is not at all friendly to off-center bracket mounts on top of it. I think had I been able to mount the bracket more centered on the projector itself, it would have worked, however, the weight distribution due to having the bracket far on one side is just not allowing the bracket to seat and rest level when I twist it in. If the 4 welded bolts which go up into the ceiling mount to make that "twist" type connection were able to be screwed tight, I'd be set -- However since the mount just sort of rests on those bolts, the uneven weight distribution of my projector due to where the mount is wound up a bad fit.

It's looking like I'll need to find some sort of combination of a dual-joist 16 inch plate with some flexibility to allow me to center-mount as well as remaining low profile (finding mounts that are around 4 inches high from ceiling to projector top has been a challenge to say the least). The other thought I had was just giving up on joists and using 3 hilti type steel togglers for the mount-it or another low profile bracket which would allow me to actually center the mount plate itself on the projector for a better weight distribution. Negative there would be of course I'm not on ANY ceiling joists at all.
BradP is offline  
post #446 of 666 Old 12-19-2018, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
BradP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 520
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slump Buster View Post
I just ordered a refurb of this model from buydig and I fear that it may come with older firmware. Can someone point me in the direction of the cheapest method to upgrade? I know that we are supposed to send it to an authorized repair center - are some cheaper than others? Is the firmware floating around somewhere on the interwebs? Thanks!
I could be mistaken, but last I read was that only Benq can update these, and there is no DIY method. Strange, I know. My refurb came with 1.05 which I believe is the latest. Purchased it a month and a half ago.
BradP is offline  
post #447 of 666 Old 12-20-2018, 04:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Slump Buster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buffalo/Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradP View Post
I could be mistaken, but last I read was that only Benq can update these, and there is no DIY method. Strange, I know. My refurb came with 1.05 which I believe is the latest. Purchased it a month and a half ago.
Wow, that's great news. I may have jumped the gun a little bit - a guy on slickdeals said he bought a refurb two months ago and the firmware was the original. I just checked my email and the projector is scheduled to be delivered today.

I did contact Benq yesterday and they said to submit an RMA to get the firmware updated. They said that this would apply to both new units as well as refurbs if they are under warranty.
Slump Buster is offline  
post #448 of 666 Old 12-20-2018, 12:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Slump Buster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buffalo/Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So the unit came today with 1.04 firmware. Should I bother sending it back?
Slump Buster is offline  
post #449 of 666 Old 12-20-2018, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,487
Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2689 Post(s)
Liked: 2658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slump Buster View Post
So the unit came today with 1.04 firmware. Should I bother sending it back?


No. Anything 1.0.3 or later is what you’re looking for.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #450 of 666 Old 12-20-2018, 10:49 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can either benq ht2550 or benq tk800 output 4k at 120hz?or 60hz??

Which one would u suggest for a gaming pc setup at 4k with 60+fps??

Thanks in advance
antolouis123 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off