Official BenQ HT2550 4K HDR Projector Review and Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 216Likes

post #31 of 668 Old 02-24-2018, 02:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET34 View Post
The light border is annoying due to our new frameless Elite Aeon 110” screen, so I might have to make a 4.5” wide wooden frame (w black velvet) outside the frameless screen to mask the light border. Not applauded by my architecture wife...
As Sage kind of alluded to, another possible solution if you like the frameless look might be to add the rope LED backlighting behind the screen, then the "light border" would be invisible compared to the backlight effect.

sage11x and jbnpaul like this.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 668 Old 02-24-2018, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked: 2664
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET34 View Post
Thanks for a very balanced in-depth review, sage. I’m impressed by the knowledge and insight you (and others on this forum) have in AV products! As a W1700 owner I’m very much aligned with your conclusions, the W1700 is a lot of PQ for the money!

The light border is annoying due to our new frameless Elite Aeon 110” screen, so I might have to make a 4.5” wide wooden frame (w black velvet) outside the frameless screen to mask the light border. Not applauded by my architecture wife...

I have the same 3D sync issues with our W1700 exemplar, and I reported this to the online retailer I bought the PJ from a week ago, but haven’t got any feedback from them yet.

Thank ET34. Here in the states the HT2550 is going to have what essentially amounts to a warranty replacement. So you wouldn’t contact your retailer but BenQ directly. BenQ will send you out an updated replacement with functioning 3D and then you simply pack up your old one and send it back.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #33 of 668 Old 02-24-2018, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Yes I knew you’d be disappointed in me.

Yes the HT2550 in it’s default operation upscales everything to 4k. The XPR is engaged all the time and the only time i saw it click off is when I manually engaged 3D. I missed the ‘silent’ option somehow or, at least, misunderstood it’s purpose. I’ll retry with the setting and see what happens.

Yes - I can confirm that “Silent” mode disables 4K XPR shift and puts the primo hector into native 1080p mode. I confirmed with with my contact at BenQ. To my untrained eye it does seem that blacks are more punchy and contrast improves as well. I think middling contrast is something we may have to accept with .47” DMD until more advanced Iris and/or light engines are introduced. From what I have seen, that is on the roadmap for coming projectors.

Sage - I’ll say it again, I think your review is spot on. It hits on most all of the sentiments of my review. I think this projector is a great effort to bring 4K into the realm of affordability because that was its main goal. Comparing with a 2050 or 3050 is almost an exercise in futility because the 4K market is entirely different.

Now is this the be-all end-all silver bullet for 4K projectors like the W1070 was in 2013 or the HT3050 in 2016? Nope. This is a fantastic first attempt to bring affordable 4K for those who want 4K now. And I applaud the HT2550 on that regard, despite its flaws.

I fully expect BenQ and the 4K projector market to up its game considerably in the coming year... but the HT2550 is an affordable enough 4K to bridge that gap until then.
sage11x and jbnpaul like this.

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 668 Old 02-24-2018, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hi all, I am new to projectors and bought the benq 2050a and the epson 3700. Comparing them side by side the epson is much brighter and has the vertical and horizontal lens shift that I very useful since I am book shelf mounting. I thought I was set on keeping the epson and returning the benq. But then when wife asked why no 4K and how much were 4K projectors, I feel like for for $300 more than the epson I couldn?t get into 4K now. I have a feeling I may have buyers remorse if I don?t get a 4K now.

So do you guys think I should return both and buy the 2550 4K.

Does it pair well with Apple TV 4K? With the benq I understand I will have to mount it. I will be sitting about 16 feet and most like get a 120? screen from silver ticket. This will be for the Basement where it will be watched at night with some ambient lights that I can control.
post #35 of 668 Old 02-24-2018, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
I will be sitting about 16 feet and most like get a 120? screen from silver ticket.
I have the Epson 3700 and it has a 1.6x zoom, which is not enough for its position from my 10 ft screen (projector is 17 ft from screen). I had to use the under scan slider in my Mac's System Preferences Display pane to get it small enough to fit my screen. Keep that in mind when deciding on whether this projector will work for your screen distance/size.
ET34 likes this.

--
Epson 3700 HD PJ, Onkyo TX-NR676 5.1.2 receiver, PSB Alpha C1, Polk RTi A1, Polk Audio TSi100, Klipsch Reference R-14SA ATMOS, Sony BDP-S6700 3D BR, Polk PSW108, Mac HTPC
post #36 of 668 Old 02-24-2018, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi all, I am new to projectors and bought the benq 2050a and the epson 3700. Comparing them side by side the epson is much brighter and has the vertical and horizontal lens shift that I very useful since I am book shelf mounting. I thought I was set on keeping the epson and returning the benq. But then when wife asked why no 4K and how much were 4K projectors, I feel like for for $300 more than the epson I couldn?t get into 4K now. I have a feeling I may have buyers remorse if I don?t get a 4K now.

Does it pair well with Apple TV 4K? With the benq I understand I will have to mount it. I will be sitting about 16 feet and most like get a 120? screen from silver ticket. This will be for the Basement where it will be watched at night with some ambient lights that I can control.
This is the exact scenario I mention in the value section of my review.

In addition to having more placement flexibility due to it's horizontal/vertical lens shift and greater zoom range the Epson 3700 is also brighter (which might be overkill in a basement) and has better contrast/black levels. The difference, of course, is the 3700 is a 1080p only model and has no ability to accept or display a 4K source. The HT2550, obviously, will not only be able to accept 4K sources but will display that source with a remarkably sharp image that is 4 times the pixel count of the 3700. That's the trade off. To get something similar in terms of placement flexibility and contrast to the 3700 in 4K you would simply need to spend more.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #37 of 668 Old 02-24-2018, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Another one of my favorite 4K “capable” projectors is the Home Cinema 4000 from Epson. When it is on sale for $1,799 it is an interesting proposition. Contrast and placement flexibility are superior to the HT2550 but the sharpness crown goes to the HT2550 for doubling pixel count. Ht2550 also has 18.6 GBps hdmi which allows for 4K hdr gaming. Viewing from 16 feet on a 120” screen you probably won’t tell a difference in sharpness. If placement flexibility is a must the the HC4000 is worth a look.

FWIW I sent my Epson 4000 back because I found the HT2550 a better value. I benefit from the sharpness on my 160” screen and don’t need the placement flexibility. I do miss the punchier blacks, but it was a trade off for $500 less and a sharper image on the screen. The calibrated brightness is also a tad brighter on the Epson also, FYI.
sage11x likes this.

Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
post #38 of 668 Old 02-24-2018, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes the epson looks better than the 2050a because it?s brighter and the lens shifts makes it very flexible. However in the Basement like you said it may be an overkill. Strongly considering the 2550. Convince me to buy it or stick with what I have.

Also, is there any way it can be mounted in a table or it won?t work? Andres if I have to mount it how close or far does it have to be mounted from the screen for 120? or 135?.
post #39 of 668 Old 02-24-2018, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes the epson looks better than the 2050a because it?s brighter and the lens shifts makes it very flexible. However in the Basement like you said it may be an overkill. Strongly considering the 2550. Convince me to buy it or stick with what I have.

Also, is there any way it can be mounted in a table or it won?t work? Andres if I have to mount it how close or far does it have to be mounted from the screen for 120? or 135?.
You could place the HT2550 in a table, yes. I do practically the same thing with my HT2050. Just keep in mind that you'll need to sit a far way back unless you want to sit off to the side.

As far as convincing you. Sorry, no. There is not a perfect projector only the perfect projector for you. You already have two fantastic projectors in your possession in the HT2050A and 3700. If you are interested in 4K and how it compares you could always purchase the Ht2550 from Amazon/BenQ as they have a good return policy and then judge for yourself.

As for distances, bookmark this site:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ...ulator-pro.htm

post #40 of 668 Old 02-24-2018, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 78
If the light is soft enough- maybe. But not excited about putting lights anywhere near the screen when a movie is playing. That's one reason why I moved components to the back of the room.
post #41 of 668 Old 02-25-2018, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Re: 4K HDMI cables. I HIGHLY recommend the S6 line from Sewell Direct. I needed a 40 foot run and this is one of the only HDMI cables that supports 18.6 gbps at 40 ft. I have had zero issues with handshaking with a 30 ft hdmi run from my Xbox One S to my Denon 6300 then back 40 ft to my projector.

https://sewelldirect.com/premium-4k-hdmi-cable-40-ft-
sage11x likes this.

post #42 of 668 Old 02-27-2018, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
Cool if the XPR can be turned off for 1080P. You could pause the intro or some other space scene and toggle "Silent" on/off to see if contrast and black floor differ.
So I spent a good deal of time switching back and forth between 'silent mode' on and off.

Silent mode does indeed return the projector to a native 1080p image although it doesn't actually tell you that (the input still reflects the source: 3840 x 2160). But it's easy to tell when you switch to the lower resolution. Just to be sure I confirmed with test patterns and it is indeed 1080p. Took some shots of a 1080p line pattern so that you could see. I know scotty says he noticed a little better contrast and I might believe that could come down to his better theater room. If there is an improvement it's difficult to see and any small gains you might get in contrast are obliterated by the noticeably chunkier image. Also note the ease with which the camera picks up the color separation-- I believe silent mode is running at a very slow color wheel speed as well. For the record: silent mode is aptly named. The HT2550 BenQ sent me is far from noisy but in silent mode I couldn't even tell it was on!

The first image is silent mode OFF (XPR engaged) and the second is silent mode ON (XPR disengaged).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6044.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	2367928   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6045.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	2367930  

post #43 of 668 Old 02-27-2018, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
I know scotty says he noticed a little better contrast and I might believe that could come down to his better theater room. If there is an improvement it's difficult to see and any small gains you might get in contrast are obliterated by the noticeably chunkier image. Also note the ease with which the camera picks up the color separation-- I believe silent mode is running at a very slow color wheel speed as well. For the record: silent mode is aptly named. The HT2550 BenQ sent me is far from noisy but in silent mode I couldn't even tell it was on!

The first image is silent mode OFF (XPR engaged) and the second is silent mode ON (XPR disengaged).
I wouldn't expect people to give up 4k resolution just for enhanced contrast. I was just curious if it would give a clue to how much of the low-contrast issue was due to the smaller chip vs the XPR effect of overlapping pixels. Scotty says XPR is costing some contrast, and you say it is not obviously so. Still inconclusive, then.

I don't understand why the color wheel speed would slow, unless the "purpose" of silent mode is that very small niche population that intends to use it as a bedroom TV and watch late at night without the color wheel whine waking the spouse.
sage11x likes this.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
post #44 of 668 Old 02-27-2018, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
I wouldn't expect people to give up 4k resolution just for enhanced contrast. I was just curious if it would give a clue to how much of the low-contrast issue was due to the smaller chip vs the XPR effect of overlapping pixels. Scotty says XPR is costing some contrast, and you say it is not obviously so. Still inconclusive, then.

I don't understand why the color wheel speed would slow, unless the "purpose" of silent mode is that very small niche population that intends to use it as a bedroom TV and watch late at night without the color wheel whine waking the spouse.
Hey! My girl is in bed watching my HT2050 on the bedroom wall as we speak! Lol! She actually says the fan noise helps her fall asleep though...
avtoronto likes this.

post #45 of 668 Old 03-01-2018, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You could place the HT2550 in a table, yes. I do practically the same thing with my HT2050. Just keep in mind that you'll need to sit a far way back unless you want to sit off to the side.

If you are interested in 4K and how it compares you could always purchase the Ht2550 from Amazon/BenQ as they have a good return policy and then judge for yourself.

As for distances, bookmark this site:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ...ulator-pro.htm
Is the 4k noticeably better than the 1080p from a better 1080p projector? Also when I tried putting my 2050a on a table, I had to literally keep it few inches form the floor for it to project the size I wanted from the distance I wanted on the wall. Before I buy the 2550 to test, I want to make sure how far do I have to mount it, and does it have to be closer or further than the ceiling? Right now I have a room where I have flexibility where I mount my projector, so don't want to discard the 2550 yet, just because it doesn't have lens shift.
Also, does turning a projector on and off multiples times (2-3 times) a day affect it?
post #46 of 668 Old 03-01-2018, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is the 4k noticeably better than the 1080p from a better 1080p projector? Also when I tried putting my 2050a on a table, I had to literally keep it few inches form the floor for it to project the size I wanted from the distance I wanted on the wall. Before I buy the 2550 to test, I want to make sure how far do I have to mount it, and does it have to be closer or further than the ceiling? Right now I have a room where I have flexibility where I mount my projector, so don't want to discard the 2550 yet, just because it doesn't have lens shift.
Also, does turning a projector on and off multiples times (2-3 times) a day affect it?
Oh yes, it's noticeably sharper WITH A PROPER 4K SOURCE. By proper source I mean a well mastered UHD bluray, quality stream or PS4 Pro/Xbox One X game that supports 4k, 4K checkerboard or 1440p upconvert.

With 1080p content, ironically, you're better off going with a 1080p projector with higher contrast and better blacks. Due to the relatively low contrast and higher black levels on this projector 1080p ends up looking just OK (contrast can make an image appear sharper than it really is-- just ask someone with a DARBEE).

I'm not sure what your question is regarding placement. The HT2550 has a longer throw than the TH2050-- which means it must be placed farther back to create a similar screen size. It also has no lens shift but has a fixed vertical offset which you need to take into consideration when mounting. See here: https://projectorcalculator.benq.com/

post #47 of 668 Old 03-01-2018, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
With 1080p content, ironically, you're better off going with a 1080p projector with higher contrast and better blacks. Due to the relatively low contrast and higher black levels on this projector 1080p ends up looking just OK (contrast can make an image appear sharper than it really is-- just ask someone with a DARBEE).
Hmm, you have me concerned now. I have an Optoma hd29darbee, and I must say, 1080p 3D bluray is the best I've ever scene on that. I was hoping these new 4K projectors would upscale cable and bluray 2D to look better, since I rarely watch 4K stuff anyway. But based on what you are saying and what I've noticed in a lot of reviews, 1080p upscaled to 4k actually looks soft compare to 1080p projectors. Hmmm....
post #48 of 668 Old 03-01-2018, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Official BenQ HT2550 4K HDR Projector Review and Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Hmm, you have me concerned now. I have an Optoma hd29darbee, and I must say, 1080p 3D bluray is the best I've ever scene on that. I was hoping these new 4K projectors would upscale cable and bluray 2D to look better, since I rarely watch 4K stuff anyway. But based on what you are saying and what I've noticed in a lot of reviews, 1080p upscaled to 4k actually looks soft compare to 1080p projectors. Hmmm....

I wouldn’t say it looks soft and the processing on the HT2550 is excellent. Here is what I’m trying to say: when watching a 1080p Blu-ray I can switch back and forth between the HT2550 and the HT2050A and I prefer the image of the HT2050A for 1080p. The contrast is better and the blacks are deeper and while a 1080p image on the HT2550 looks mildly sharper thanks to the better pixel fill it’s not enough to overcome the contrast advantage of the Ht2050A. When you feed the HT2550 a UHD that script flips. Watching the Martian on the Ht2050A after watching it several times on the HT2550 the HT2050 looks— jeez I don’t want to say soft here but— it just lacks the level of sheer detail and clarity the HT2550 is capable of. Playing Shadow of the Colossus on the PS4 is a beautiful experience at 1080p but on the HT2550 at 4K (technically 1440p upscaled) you can see individual strands of grass rushing past the screen as you and Argo ride across the countryside. It’s mesmerizing. But all this comes at a cost: as I stated in my review, the contrast of the HT2550 is hampered by poor black levels caused by the XPR or, potentially, the light border (no one seems to know for sure). If you’re not interested in 4K it’s silly to upgrade to the HT2550– your money will go farther with a 1080p projector. BUT, if you want a 4K projector and you want great color your choices right now are this HT2550, the $2500 Optoma UHD65 with a calibration (the out of the box color accuracy is just not there in the Optoma), or the Sony 285ES for 5 grand.

I think these new projectors have come at us so fast we forgot just how insane 4K for $1500 actually is!
3DBob likes this.

Last edited by sage11x; 03-01-2018 at 03:10 PM.
post #49 of 668 Old 03-02-2018, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Digital Trends liked what they saw. Full review here:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/projec...ht2550-review/

post #50 of 668 Old 03-05-2018, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Chris Eberle’s review is in and it’s a pretty solid endorsement.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...jector-review/

So glad to see some of my observations borne out in test data.
sparky7 likes this.

post #51 of 668 Old 03-05-2018, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@sage11x : Have you tried watching a 1080p bluray that was upscaled by your bluray player first and not by the projector, vs. 1080p from the player to the projector to let it upscale? Although, I don't have the 4K projector to try it, I know my Sony player will upscale to 4k if it sees a 4K TV, but I can turn that on or off. I wonder if the scaler in bluray player might be better than the scaler in the projector.
post #52 of 668 Old 03-05-2018, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@sage11x : Have you tried watching a 1080p bluray that was upscaled by your bluray player first and not by the projector, vs. 1080p from the player to the projector to let it upscale? Although, I don't have the 4K projector to try it, I know my Sony player will upscale to 4k if it sees a 4K TV, but I can turn that on or off. I wonder if the scaler in bluray player might be better than the scaler in the projector.

My guess is it would depend greatly on the player. I have a Sony 6700 upscaling player but my guess is the internal scaler in the BenQ is better. If I had to guess the scaler in my Sony X800 would be better still. I can try and test for this and tell you what I find. What player are you using?
3DBob likes this.

post #53 of 668 Old 03-05-2018, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My guess is it would depend greatly on the player. I have a Sony 6700 upscaling player but my guess is the internal scaler in the BenQ is better. If I had to guess the scaler in my Sony X800 would be better still. I can try and test for this and tell you what I find. What player are you using?
I have a Sony 6700, but I don't own a 4K projector yet. I was looking forward to watching 1080p blurays upscaled, but I'm having concerns that it's a waste of time and money. Thanks.
post #54 of 668 Old 03-05-2018, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have a Sony 6700, but I don't own a 4K projector yet. I was looking forward to watching 1080p blurays upscaled, but I'm having concerns that it's a waste of time and money. Thanks.

Fair enough. Luckily I have the same player so I should be able to give you a good idea of what works better: the player or the projector.
3DBob likes this.

Last edited by sage11x; 03-05-2018 at 02:35 PM.
post #55 of 668 Old 03-05-2018, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 352

Hi everyone,
After returning my BenQ HT2550 I haven’t been very active lately. I just read a new article on the Verge. The article is about a new model from BenQ named the TK800. Apparently it has a higher lumens spec, after reading this I presumed that it has a clear segment in the color wheel. Reading further, the article states, “BenQ also claims the TK800 has improved color accuracy and reproduction.” Also, I’m guessing that the 3D issues that BenQ has stated requires a hardware fix will be updated on this model. The article also has a reference to my topic “What constitutes 4k ?” Here’s the link to the article.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/am...e-release-date
sage11x likes this.

Last edited by bix26; 03-05-2018 at 08:42 PM.
post #56 of 668 Old 03-05-2018, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 352
I decide to start a topic on the TK800 I mentioned above.

BenQ TK800 Announced.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...0&share_type=t
post #57 of 668 Old 03-06-2018, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
As I stated in the other thread, I just ordered a HT2550. I am upgrading from a HT3050.

Also, I'm currently using a Sony 4K (I think its the 800) player and I can play 4K media and send a 1080p signal to my HT3050.

I'm hoping my 15 foot HDMI is up to snuff for the HT2550.

If I do not like the HT2550, returning may be difficult as Best Buy has changed their return policy for certain items. Projectors come with a restocking fee. I hope I like it and I can plug and play it on my 104" 2.35 aspect ratio screen.

-JD-
post #58 of 668 Old 03-06-2018, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDee78 View Post
As I stated in the other thread, I just ordered a HT2550. I am upgrading from a HT3050.

Also, I'm currently using a Sony 4K (I think its the 800) player and I can play 4K media and send a 1080p signal to my HT3050.

I'm hoping my 15 foot HDMI is up to snuff for the HT2550.

If I do not like the HT2550, returning may be difficult as Best Buy has changed their return policy for certain items. Projectors come with a restocking fee. I hope I like it and I can plug and play it on my 104" 2.35 aspect ratio screen.

-JD-

I had some difficulty with HDMI. 15 feet is the absolute max I would recommend and make sure you keep it away from parallel runs alongside power cords. My high speed, well shielded 25 footer would not work. I ended up with a 10 foot cord and just moved my Sony X800 closer to the projector. My X800 is also finicky and will sometimes require a power cycle before it will recognize the HT2550. Ironically the PS4 has no trouble. One tip is to leave your X800 in auto resolution that way if your cable isn’t up to snuff the player will hopefully scale back to 1080p.

post #59 of 668 Old 03-08-2018, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I decided to play with the HT2550 a little more this week and made some small tweaks to the picture settings. I’ve decided to post these settings for anyone who might like to compare. Remember: it’s not good to simply copy settings but this is a good point of reference to see how your unit/tastes might compare. These are NOT calibrated settings. I arrived at these by using my DVE Blu-ray as well as a liberal sprinkling of 4K/HDR test material. I’m only posting settings I actually adjusted from default.

Picture mode: cinema
Brightness: 51
Contrast: 57
Sharpness: 5

Advances menu
Gamma (SDR): 2.3
HDR Brightness (HDR): -1
Cinema Master menu
Pixel Enhancer 4K: 2
DCTI: [on]
DLTI: [on] (per Chris Eberle’s recommendation in his review)

All other settings are in their default setting and Light mode is set to SmartEco.

Last edited by sage11x; 03-08-2018 at 07:15 PM.
post #60 of 668 Old 03-08-2018, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Can anyone confirm if the new units have the updated firmware? I really want to order one but I have literally hundreds of 3D blurays and don't want to have to return it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page