Official BenQ HT2550 4K HDR Projector Review and Owners Thread - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 220Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #691 of 695 Old 05-21-2020, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 2,432
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarilbo View Post
Thank you for your response. So yeah, I forgot my x700 has the projector option and I have it at 120. I mean, no complains really in PQ but I wanted to know if the panasonic will be far superior. So I guess it could be on some movies but not all of them right? Would the purchase be worth?
BTW, I’️ve read a lot about the whole gama 2.4 thing. How does that work? Im only interested in using the player for 4K HDR discs and nothing more, as I do with my sony player
2001 was the only HDR BD where the X700 was better at tone mapping, out of maybe 30 different HDR BDs.

Using higher gamma generally results in a more contrasty image, with brighter highlights. The HDR Optimizer on the UB420 allows the use of higher gamma without blowing out highlights or deepening the shadows too much.
DunMunro is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #692 of 695 Old 05-21-2020, 04:58 PM
Member
 
Oscarilbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarilbo View Post
Thank you for your response. So yeah, I forgot my x700 has the projector option and I have it at 120. I mean, no complains really in PQ but I wanted to know if the panasonic will be far superior. So I guess it could be on some movies but not all of them right? Would the purchase be worth?
BTW, I’ve read a lot about the whole gama 2.4 thing. How does that work? Im only interested in using the player for 4K HDR discs and nothing more, as I do with my sony player
2001 was the only HDR BD where the X700 was better at tone mapping, out of maybe 30 different HDR BDs.

Using higher gamma generally results in a more contrasty image, with brighter highlights. The HDR Optimizer on the UB420 allows the use of higher gamma without blowing out highlights or deepening the shadows too much.
Thank you again. And how’s detail in those highlights and dark levels? I think detail is the main point of this whole fine tone mapping.
Oscarilbo is offline  
post #693 of 695 Old 05-21-2020, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 2,432
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarilbo View Post
Thank you again. And how’s detail in those highlights and dark levels? I think detail is the main point of this whole fine tone mapping.
The HDR Optimizer doesn't increase the detail, but it makes it more visible due to a tuned tonemap.
DunMunro is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #694 of 695 Old 05-21-2020, 06:58 PM
Member
 
Oscarilbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarilbo View Post
Thank you again. And how’️s detail in those highlights and dark levels? I think detail is the main point of this whole fine tone mapping.
The HDR Optimizer doesn't increase the detail, but it makes it more visible due to a tuned tonemap.
Yeah, thats what I meant. I was watching Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire on UHD HDR the other day, and I remember a couple of scenes where facial detail gets completely blown out due to intense highlights. I like to think those sort of things would be a bit corrected.
Oscarilbo is offline  
post #695 of 695 Old 05-21-2020, 11:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 2,432
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarilbo View Post
Yeah, thats what I meant. I was watching Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire on UHD HDR the other day, and I remember a couple of scenes where facial detail gets completely blown out due to intense highlights. I like to think those sort of things would be a bit corrected.
Yes, that's what the optimizer will do, as long as the data is actually present.
DunMunro is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off