Official BenQ HT2550 4K HDR Projector Review and Owners Thread - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 220Likes

post #691 of 695 Old 05-21-2020, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarilbo View Post
Thank you for your response. So yeah, I forgot my x700 has the projector option and I have it at 120. I mean, no complains really in PQ but I wanted to know if the panasonic will be far superior. So I guess it could be on some movies but not all of them right? Would the purchase be worth?
BTW, I’️ve read a lot about the whole gama 2.4 thing. How does that work? Im only interested in using the player for 4K HDR discs and nothing more, as I do with my sony player
2001 was the only HDR BD where the X700 was better at tone mapping, out of maybe 30 different HDR BDs.

Using higher gamma generally results in a more contrasty image, with brighter highlights. The HDR Optimizer on the UB420 allows the use of higher gamma without blowing out highlights or deepening the shadows too much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 695 Old 05-21-2020, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Quote:
Thank you for your response. So yeah, I forgot my x700 has the projector option and I have it at 120. I mean, no complains really in PQ but I wanted to know if the panasonic will be far superior. So I guess it could be on some movies but not all of them right? Would the purchase be worth?
BTW, I’ve read a lot about the whole gama 2.4 thing. How does that work? Im only interested in using the player for 4K HDR discs and nothing more, as I do with my sony player
2001 was the only HDR BD where the X700 was better at tone mapping, out of maybe 30 different HDR BDs.

Using higher gamma generally results in a more contrasty image, with brighter highlights. The HDR Optimizer on the UB420 allows the use of higher gamma without blowing out highlights or deepening the shadows too much.
Thank you again. And how’s detail in those highlights and dark levels? I think detail is the main point of this whole fine tone mapping.
post #693 of 695 Old 05-21-2020, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you again. And how’s detail in those highlights and dark levels? I think detail is the main point of this whole fine tone mapping.
The HDR Optimizer doesn't increase the detail, but it makes it more visible due to a tuned tonemap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #694 of 695 Old 05-21-2020, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Quote:
Thank you again. And how’️s detail in those highlights and dark levels? I think detail is the main point of this whole fine tone mapping.
The HDR Optimizer doesn't increase the detail, but it makes it more visible due to a tuned tonemap.
Yeah, thats what I meant. I was watching Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire on UHD HDR the other day, and I remember a couple of scenes where facial detail gets completely blown out due to intense highlights. I like to think those sort of things would be a bit corrected.
post #695 of 695 Old 05-21-2020, 11:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, thats what I meant. I was watching Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire on UHD HDR the other day, and I remember a couple of scenes where facial detail gets completely blown out due to intense highlights. I like to think those sort of things would be a bit corrected.
Yes, that's what the optimizer will do, as long as the data is actually present.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page