Optoma Hd39darbee Lens Cleaning - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By b curry
  • 1 Post By TenaciousM

post #1 of 22 Old 03-02-2018, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Optoma Hd39darbee Lens Cleaning

I used a Zeiss premoistened lens wipe to clean my lens and it damaged the coating on my lens.

Having had the lens replaced, this time I fogged the lens with my breath and gently cleaned the lens with a microfiber cloth. It looks OK but will this also damage the lens or is this a safe, suitable way to keep the lens clean going forward?

Thank you for any advice you can offer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-02-2018, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 4452 Post(s)
Liked: 4014
A lot of people look at their projector lens from the side when the lamp is on and think it looks foggy and needs cleaning. This is an illusion that is common to all projectors including brand new unused ones. Assuming you keep a cover over the lens when not projecting and never touch your projector lens with your fingers there should be no reason to ever need to touch the lens with any type of cleaning device. Best practice is to simply use a dust blower to blow dust off occasionally if you see it obviously collecting on the front of the lens.
post #3 of 22 Old 03-02-2018, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
A lot of people look at their projector lens from the side when the lamp is on and think it looks foggy and needs cleaning. This is an illusion that is common to all projectors including brand new unused ones. Assuming you keep a cover over the lens when not projecting and never touch your projector lens with your fingers there should be no reason to ever need to touch the lens with any type of cleaning device. Best practice is to simply use a dust blower to blow dust off occasionally if you see it obviously collecting on the front of the lens.

Thank you for the advice. I'll make sure to do that going forward.

Do you think I have damaged or degraded my lens in any way having already cleaned it the way I did? Probably just
my OCD kicking in but I'm worried it might affect the picture quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 03-02-2018, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 4452 Post(s)
Liked: 4014
A quality microfiber cloth is what's recommended when it's necessary to clean a projector lens without damaging the lens coatings. Even then you should only apply the minimal pressure needed to remove whatever might be on the lens. Hopefully you didn't rub hard and long to remove a perceived film that wasn't there. But I wouldn't worry about it unless you actually see a degradation of your projection image.
post #5 of 22 Old 03-02-2018, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousM View Post
I used a Zeiss premoistened lens wipe to clean my lens and it damaged the coating on my lens.

Having had the lens replaced, this time I fogged the lens with my breath and gently cleaned the lens with a microfiber cloth. It looks OK but will this also damage the lens or is this a safe, suitable way to keep the lens clean going forward?

Thank you for any advice you can offer!
No offence but I wouldn't fog with your breath. You will inevitably transfer some of your saliva, atomized, to the surface of the lens along with what ever you last had to eat; grease, acidic/alkaline compounds, etc.. The Zeiss lens wipes will leave a residue.

While it's good to minimize contact with the lens, it is inevitable that at some point it will need to be cleaned. Off gassing from plastics and room air contaminants will leave deposits over time. I clean mine as needed which is maybe every 2 years.

I use PECA Formula MC lens cleaning fluid for both the projector lens and my ISCO cinemascope lens. PECA Formula MC was recommended to me by the people at ISCO. PECA clams their product is used by NASA on manned space flights.

• Blow off potentially abrasive dust with low residue canned air.
  • Roll up one of PECA's lens tissues, like a cigarette, and put a small drop of Formula MC on the end and clean from the middle out in a circular motion.
  • Always use a new clean tissue, don't reuse one if you need a second tissue.
  • Always wipe in the same direction and use a light touch.
  • Finish with a clean, optical grade micro fiber cloth.

They make a nice little kit too, # UFC-202 with the MC fluid, tissues, and micro fiber cloth. I do not use the lens brush in the kit on the glass. I do use the brush to dust the lens body after using canned air. Here's a link:

http://www.pecaproducts.com/lens-fluids.html

http://www.pecaproducts.com/lens-kits.html

EDIT: link for ordering. http://www.cleanoptics.com/

Last edited by b curry; 03-02-2018 at 01:11 PM.
post #6 of 22 Old 03-02-2018, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you to both of you, exactly what I was looking for!

Considering I already improperly cleaned it, and the Optoma manual said nothing about how to properly clean the lens, should I exchange the unit since I'm still in my return window to be safe?
post #7 of 22 Old 03-02-2018, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Considering I already improperly cleaned it, and the Optoma manual said nothing about how to properly clean the lens, should I exchange the unit since I'm still in my return window to be safe?
Excuse me for being vulgar, but basically you just spit on the lens and wiped it dry. So what ever was in your mouth was transferred to the lens surface and pushed around a bit. I would doubt that you've done any serious damage. I would order the kit referenced and clean the lens. The kit is $16.00 so it's not like it will break the bank.

As far as exchanging the unit, that's really up to you. I would just say that I'm happy you're not my customer. Damaging a product from ones own negligence and returning it because you feel the Optoma manual was silent on the issue and the return window is still open seems to me to be a representation of a lack of scruples.

Did you contact Optima technical support/customer service and ask how to clean the lens?
post #8 of 22 Old 03-02-2018, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

I sure did contact Optoma Customer Service but they didn't respond. I did research extensively before and feel Optoma should include this information in the care section of their manual or at least online for consumers to educate themselves on proper care. Nowhere to be found, anywhere. Considering I used the same Zeiss lens camera wipes for years to clean my Epson 8345 lens with absolutely no issues, I would feel confident it's OK. Now I use it on my Optoma lens and it removed part of the lens coating, blurring the lens. How would a non-technical consumer know this? I think that's negligence on the part of the manufacturer. I was diligent enough to purchase a lens cleaner for sensitive photographic equipment, you would think that would be sufficient, but I ended up with a severely damaged lens. I'm not sure how that's considered unscrupulous.
post #9 of 22 Old 03-03-2018, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I sure did contact Optoma Customer Service but they didn't respond. I did research extensively before and feel Optoma should include this information in the care section of their manual or at least online for consumers to educate themselves on proper care. Nowhere to be found, anywhere. Considering I used the same Zeiss lens camera wipes for years to clean my Epson 8345 lens with absolutely no issues, I would feel confident it's OK. Now I use it on my Optoma lens and it removed part of the lens coating, blurring the lens. How would a non-technical consumer know this? I think that's negligence on the part of the manufacturer. I was diligent enough to purchase a lens cleaner for sensitive photographic equipment, you would think that would be sufficient, but I ended up with a severely damaged lens. I'm not sure how that's considered unscrupulous.
I'm assuming that you're talking about this Zeiss product widely sold at the Walmart Optical Department.

The MSDS for Zeiss Lens Wipes lists the composition ingredients as Ethanol Alcohol, Isopropyl Alcohol, and Water.

You can find the MSDS here: http://www.physics.purdue.edu/primel...ng%20wipes.pdf

I simply know of no lens coating used today that will be damaged by a combination of Ethanol/Isopropyl Alcohol in solution with water. Alcohol based cleaners will or can leave water residue behind, streaking, as the alcohol evaporates.

Professionals use acetone or a solution of acetone and methanol to clean a lens and manufactures use CO2/dry ice to clean a lens. I did not suggest these as they require specialize equipment or careful technique to implement.

The only way that I know that you could remove the lens coating with the Zeiss Wipe is to very aggressively rub the surface. Any lens tissue or micro fiber cloth will have an abrasive action if used aggressively. Zeiss lists a caveat emptor warning on the packaging prefaced as "Advisory" ... test a small area first ... And as I stated, the Zeiss Wipe tends to leave water residue behind on the lens surface.

Perhaps you have mistaken the lens coating for what you saw as a dirty lens? Even if you rubbed the coating off, the lens would still work all be it with a change in contrast.

You said, "I did research extensively...". I'm not sure what "extensively" means as a simple Google search for clean camera lens or clean projector lens gave me 16,900,000 and 1,180,000 hits respectively. Quickly perusing any of these hits gives advice similar to or mostly the same as I gave you.

As far as scruples go, I thought I made myself clear; If you buy something and damage it through your own misuse or negligence and then attempt to return/exchange it during a grace period without informing the seller or manufacture of the damage, I consider that unscrupulous or even dishonest. The seller or manufactures return/exchange grace period is always prefaced by a caveat with words to the effect that the product be returned in new condition with ordinal packaging, etc..

Not trying to be hard on you but such disingenuous behavior as you're alluding too simply drives up the price of goods and services for everyone else. Besides that, would you be happy taking ownership of what you thought was a new projector only to find out that you got one that someone spat on?
xplorar likes this.

Last edited by b curry; 03-03-2018 at 10:51 AM.
post #10 of 22 Old 03-03-2018, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:

Hi,

There's no need to use any kind of expensive or specialized product or fibre tissue (these hold bacteria), no detergents either. The best way is to use distilled water and clean it with swabs in circular movements. If there's grease on the lens, use isopropyl alcohol at 70%. Watch a photography expert do it, it's the best information you can get:

Part 2:

Last edited by descalabro; 03-03-2018 at 06:00 AM. Reason: added a video.
post #11 of 22 Old 03-03-2018, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by descalabro View Post
Hi,

There's no need to use any kind of expensive or specialized product or fibre tissue (these hold bacteria), no detergents either. The best way is to use distilled water and clean it with swabs in circular movements. If there's grease on the lens, use isopropyl alcohol at 70%. Watch a photography expert do it, it's the best information you can get:
Love it when the sock puppet spits on the lens.

Not bad, but I would take exception on a couple of points.

Nothing wrong with 70% isopropyl alcohol and distilled/deionized water solution. The problem is that you have to be very careful when you buy isopropyl alcohol as the other 30% often contains some percentage of glycerin. You can clean and rub all day and you're going to leave behind some residue from water and glycerin if it's present. Best to check the label to be sure or buy a bottle of PECA Forumla MC which costs no more than the bottle of 70% isopropyl alcohol and is made for the job.

The other point would be the Q-tips that I would take exception with vs. disposable optical quality lens tissue. Both lens tissue and Q-tips are abrasive. The difference is do you want to use coarse sand paper or very fine sand paper to clean the lens? Q-tips were made for cleaning body cavities while lens tissues were made for... A pack of good quality lens tissues are no more expensive than a pack of brand name Q-tips.

The video does show how durable the lens coating is and to the OP how difficult it would be to damage the lens coating with a Zeiss Wipe which is comprised of isopropyl alcohol on a lens tissue.
post #12 of 22 Old 03-03-2018, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
Love it when the sock puppet spits on the lens.
he's making fun of this guy:
(people, what's done in this video is NOT TO BE FOLLOWED)

Quote:
Nothing wrong with 70% isopropyl alcohol and distilled/deionized water solution. The problem is that you have to be very careful when you buy isopropyl alcohol as the other 30% often contains some percentage of glycerin. You can clean and rub all day and you're going to leave behind some residue from water and glycerin if it's present.
Thanks for the advice. It's said in the video you're supposed to remove all the isopropyl residues by finishing with a second cleaning using distilled water. And I'm not sure any water residues will be left that have any importance whatsoever.

Quote:
The other point would be the Q-tips that I would take exception with vs. disposable optical quality lens tissue. Both lens tissue and Q-tips are abrasive. The difference is do you want to use coarse sand paper or very fine sand paper to clean the lens? Q-tips were made for cleaning body cavities while lens tissues were made for...
The video explicitly recommends the cheapest — all cotton — Q-tips instead of synthetic ones.

I have the utmost trust in Theoria Apophasis (the youtuber from the previous post) in everything regarding technical maintenance of this kind of equipment.
post #13 of 22 Old 03-03-2018, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I watched the afro guy (what not to do) and the guy with the tattooed hands (what to do). Just to be sure I'm following proper procedure, I should:

1. Never breathe (or spit lol) on the lens.
2. Clean before you clean. Use a camera brush with gentle strokes to gently remove particles.
4. Clean brush after with water to remove debris particulate so clean and ready for next use.
3. With gentle circular motion, use either 70% Isopropyl Alcohol (no glycerin) or Peca Formula MC with a lens cleaning tissue. Don't use resusale cloths for cleaning as they retain debris, oils and if washed, detergent.
4. If Peca Formula MC was used, cleaning is complete. If alcohol is used follow up with another lens cleaning tissue and bottled/distilled water.
5. Lens is now properly cleaned.
post #14 of 22 Old 03-03-2018, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, and most of all, don't clean if it doesn't need to be cleaned. I know this may sound stupid, but people can get really obsessed with cleaning projector lenses when most of the times it doesn't make any difference on the projected image.

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | JVC X30 (RS45)
post #15 of 22 Old 03-03-2018, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, and most of all, don't clean if it doesn't need to be cleaned. I know this may sound stupid, but people can get really obsessed with cleaning projector lenses when most of the times it doesn't make any difference on the projected image.
Perfect, thanks brother, I appreciate all your help!
descalabro likes this.
post #16 of 22 Old 04-25-2018, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a high quality glass filter you can insert over your projector lens in order to protect it?

Some days ago I perceived the image had a "glowing" look, like when you use a fog filter on your camera.

I cleaned the lens with a drop of isopropyl alcohol and contrast came back nicely.

I live by the sea, even we do not have air corrosion. But there seems to be some "oily" quality in the air that sticks to glass. You notice it on the TV screen.

As I am planning to hang the projector from the roof, going up and cleaning the lens every now and then is not something I would like to do. Cleaning a protection lens might be more advisable.

This filter has to be anti-reflective and have optical quality. Any advice?
post #17 of 22 Old 07-22-2018, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

I noticed a fairly large dust blob on my lens. I didn't have a blower and my lens is very clean. I put on a nitrile glove and gently brushed the piece of debri off the lens. Is this ok and will this process not damage the lens? I figured the glove would prevent any oils from skin contact and I didn't want to use compressed air or my breath.
post #18 of 22 Old 07-23-2018, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I noticed a fairly large dust blob on my lens. I didn't have a blower and my lens is very clean. I put on a nitrile glove and gently brushed the piece of debri off the lens. Is this ok and will this process not damage the lens? I figured the glove would prevent any oils from skin contact and I didn't want to use compressed air or my breath.
Hi,

it should be ok.

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | JVC X30 (RS45)
post #19 of 22 Old 07-23-2018, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hi,

it should be ok.

Thank you brother. I appreciate the response and reassurance.

I figured a nitrile glove was my best option not having a bulb duster or PECA lens cleaner and lens tissue. I will be purchasing these for future cleaning needs.
post #20 of 22 Old 07-23-2018, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you brother. I appreciate the response and reassurance.

I figured a nitrile glove was my best option not having a bulb duster or PECA lens cleaner and lens tissue. I will be purchasing these for future cleaning needs.
I still go with distilled water and all cotton swabs, 70% isopropyl alcohol if there's any kind of grease. Just like it's on the posts above. Anyway, I rarely clean my lenses. Most dust or marks that may happen there do not affect the image, so I only clean them once in a while.

post #21 of 22 Old 06-04-2020, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

It's been some time since I started this post...back to square one.

My HD39Darbee had cobwebs all over the lens so I followed procedure:

Dusted off as much as I could with camera lens duster and using a camera lens hand blower.

Applied 2 drop Peca to Peca lens tissue. Used light circular motion.

Now I have a blurry lens. The coating seems to be affected? I've attached a picture.

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

Last edited by TenaciousM; 06-04-2020 at 01:42 PM.
post #22 of 22 Old 06-04-2020, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Picture of lens
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200604_093514_1591303144968.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	2.90 MB
ID:	2737118  

Last edited by TenaciousM; 06-04-2020 at 01:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page