Why the heck are laser projectors taking so long! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By LumensLover

post #1 of 4 Old 03-02-2018, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Why the heck are laser projectors taking so long!

There's articles on the web talking about the "future of projectors is laser light engines" all over the place.

So why the heck such slim pickings still for laser light engines in the home theater market? We have $8K for the Epson LS10500 or business projectors on the other side.

What is the holdup? The LS10000 came out three years ago, where's the Epson 5040 with laser engine? Or the Sony HW65ES with the laser engine? Or the JVC RS440U? I'd pay $1000 more for the same projector just to not have to deal with bulbs/flicker, etc. There's just nothing with laser engines in the sub-$5000 class of projectors that's a good premier home cinema projector with high contrast, which is what most of us seem to be able to afford.

There's people on here more plugged in than me. Is laser on its way? Just another year? Or is the era of bulb consumable profits too hard for the manufacturers to give up?

Hardware and System engineer. Enjoy theaters, automation, media and the outdoors.
Love the hobby, but always have to remember to keep family first!
"The Escape Pod" - First Theater Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-03-2018, 12:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrg View Post
There's articles on the web talking about the "future of projectors is laser light engines" all over the place.

So why the heck such slim pickings still for laser light engines in the home theater market? We have $8K for the Epson LS10500 or business projectors on the other side.

What is the holdup? The LS10000 came out three years ago, where's the Epson 5040 with laser engine? Or the Sony HW65ES with the laser engine? Or the JVC RS440U? I'd pay $1000 more for the same projector just to not have to deal with bulbs/flicker, etc. There's just nothing with laser engines in the sub-$5000 class of projectors that's a good premier home cinema projector with high contrast, which is what most of us seem to be able to afford.

There's people on here more plugged in than me. Is laser on its way? Just another year? Or is the era of bulb consumable profits too hard for the manufacturers to give up?

Like any new tech on the market: manufacturers aren't stupid, they need to dump all the current outdated products on the market, and wait to release their new products.

Of course, they will slowly trickle in the new tech, and early adopters will pay more than fair market value to be one of the 'first', then after a year or so with many models released, the price will drop to what the market demands.

Ask your doctor if DIY is right for you. Side effects of DIY may include anxiety, elevated blood pressure, lightheadedness, rapid heartbeat, skeletal muscle flaccidity, euphoria, psychological dependence, insomnia, confusion, blurred vision, implusivity, uncontrolled or repeated movements.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-03-2018, 12:14 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 462
I don't think we will see affordable laser projectors until TVs get up to a hundred inches for under 5,000. When large screen TVs put pressure on the niche projector industry I feel they will have no choice but to switch to laser based projectors to give the consumer more perceived value.
danielrg and rockhound76s like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-24-2018, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I guess time will tell. I'm hoping that laser will come to a $5K or less home cinema projector in the next couple years. Not short throw, not business, not DLP (Because rainbow is really bad for me for some reason) - but something with very good contrast made for dark rooms.

Perhaps it is that the high contrast home cinema projectors are a niche market. But as always, there's a manufacturing chain of Xenon lamps, bulb assemblies, and likely ballasts, etc. etc. that need a place to dump until they are gone and tech migration complete. I wouldn't be surprised if the mid-grade home cinema projectors are the place that will be the last holdout for bulbs...

Hardware and System engineer. Enjoy theaters, automation, media and the outdoors.
Love the hobby, but always have to remember to keep family first!
"The Escape Pod" - First Theater Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page