BenQ TK800 Announced. - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 282Likes

post #631 of 755 Old 12-10-2018, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2751 Post(s)
Liked: 2735
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshbrown1987 View Post
Ordered the tk800 today shall be doing test. Anyone have thoughts on setting my Xbox S to 4k out or 1080 out for streaming movies via Netflix. It's going to "upscale" anyway right but if I set got 4k out at least it should produce HDR.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

My X800 won’t output HDR for Netflix but I still think it’s worth it to upgrade to 4K. Upgrading to 4K buys you into higher bandwidth streaming. Regardless of resolution: more bandwidth equals more better.
joshbrown1987 likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 755 Old 12-10-2018, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Atkinson View Post
When I hooked up my Tk800, Netflix asked if I wanted to upgrade to 4k so I did. I recognized absolutely no titles, so personally, I think it's a waste of time.
Netflix has some really good stuff in 4k so I have ZERO ideas how you didn't recognize anything? Saving private Ryan alone is one of the greats. MANY shows especially Netflix originals are 4k. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...LAhywa&ampcf=1

gravityair likes this.
post #633 of 755 Old 12-11-2018, 03:07 PM

Okay so the tk800 is literally built to handle daytime viewing. Can anyone please post a photo like this of their set up. I don't own a tv and I will be replacing my Epson hc2150 with tk800 assuming it'll work well in my situation. Yes there's black out curtains to the direct side of the screen that rarely get opened.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #634 of 755 Old 12-11-2018, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BenQ TK800 Announced.

Quote:
Okay so the tk800 is literally built to handle daytime viewing. Can anyone please post a photo like this of their set up. I don't own a tv and I will be replacing my Epson hc2150 with tk800 assuming it'll work well in my situation. Yes there's black out curtains to the direct side of the screen that rarely get opened.

When I did my review I snapped this shot. It might look dark but this was in the middle of the day with sunlight streaming in and the projector was in it’s ‘darkest’ mode (cinema). It only looks dark because of how bright the sliding door and display was. Keep in mind that, again, this was the middle of the day so the ‘black bars’ had no chance at being black due to the amount of ambient light (I have a 1.1 gain white screen that is not intended to be used this way).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

Last edited by sage11x; 12-11-2018 at 04:17 PM.
post #635 of 755 Old 12-11-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
When I did my review I snapped this shot. It might look dark but this was in the middle of the day with sunlight streaming in and the projector was in it’s ‘darkest’ mode (cinema). It only looks dark because of how bright the sliding door and display was. Keep in mind that, again, this was the middle of the day so the ‘black bars’ had no chance at being black due to the amount of ambient light (I have a 1.1 gain white screen that is not intended to be used this way).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
White screen or grey? My grey screen really helps with ambient light. Even though it's not true ALR and not shiny contrast boosting either.

post #636 of 755 Old 12-12-2018, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
White screen or grey? My grey screen really helps with ambient light. Even though it's not true ALR and not shiny contrast boosting either.

It’s at the end of my post. White.

post #637 of 755 Old 12-15-2018, 01:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello

just got this - but i just cant figure out to set this right up - i think that i am getting pretty dull colors ?
i have tried to connect a Nvidia Shield TV and also and Aplle TV 4K - should i change something on these devices to get better picture ?

Maybe someone also have connected one of these devices to the TK 800 how could tell what they have done to the the best picture quality ?
post #638 of 755 Old 12-15-2018, 04:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Atkinson View Post
When I hooked up my Tk800, Netflix asked if I wanted to upgrade to 4k so I did. I recognized absolutely no titles, so personally, I think it's a waste of time.
Netflix (in Europe at least) is basically just their own content that's in 4K, and that's not even all their "Netflix Originals". It's pretty barebones unfortunately.
post #639 of 755 Old 12-16-2018, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Just wanted to add an update on my thoughts on the TK800.

I sent the original back to Amazon as I was hoping to get one that was a newer build date and had the newer firmware, Unfortunately, the new replacement was also manufactured in April 2018 and has the original 1.00 firmware. I'm going to have to send it back to BenQ for an upgrade as I need the newer functionality, in particular the 3d modes which are promised in the manual and are not supported on 1.00.

All that said, I bought an Xbox one X with Forza Horizon 4 in anticipation and I've had a really good opportunity to use 4k in earnest, both through the Xbox, my gaming pc and online streaming. I have to say, I would never go back to a 1080p non HDR projector again.
Sky Q looks decent upscaled but feed this device a proper 4k signal and that's where it really shines. Lag could be better and I do notice it, but on a controller you can barely tell and it looks fantastic.

The XPR noise is still an issue, but for gaming, sports and most (loud) films it's not an issue. Still bugs be when watching 'normal' TV through it.

For the price I paid, I'm very happy. I wish it had less lag, less noise and supported 1920x1080x120Hz frame sequential 3d, but hopefully that will come in time with the newer models.
I have a 110" Elite screens motorized screen with 1.1 gain and the projector is absolutely more than bright enough in any conditions I've thrown at it btw.

Oh, and I'm pretty fussy but I've never even noticed the 'light border'. My screen does have a black surround but from my projection distance the border should still be visible on the wall behind, but I can't see it. Maybe it's easier to see in a fully light controlled room, but even with all the lights off in my living room I haven't noticed it.
sage11x and joshbrown1987 like this.

Last edited by russellhk; 12-16-2018 at 12:35 PM.
post #640 of 755 Old 12-17-2018, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Wow, I'm getting really weird results with streaming UHD 4k HDR movies. I've tried both VUDU and Amazon. I have a Sony X700 player. It definitely sends HDR, but for older movies, I get way too much contrast, and have to select SDR to get the contrast at least palpable again. Not what I expected. I know many of you have had HDR issues as well. Any ongoing insight in tweaking it?
post #641 of 755 Old 12-17-2018, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Wow, I'm getting really weird results with streaming UHD 4k HDR movies. I've tried both VUDU and Amazon. I have a Sony X700 player. It definitely sends HDR, but for older movies, I get way too much contrast, and have to select SDR to get the contrast at least palpable again. Not what I expected. I know many of you have had HDR issues as well. Any ongoing insight in tweaking it?

Sounds like a mismatch. Are your sure your x700 is passing hdr? Only reason I ask is because I still can’t get HDR on my X800 with Netflix despite everything saying I should.

post #642 of 755 Old 12-17-2018, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sounds like a mismatch. Are your sure your x700 is passing hdr? Only reason I ask is because I still can’t get HDR on my X800 with Netflix despite everything saying I should.

Yes, the TK800 goes into HDR mode and when I pause the video, it says it's in HDR. There is an issue with Dolby Vision, though, and if the movie has Dolby vision, you have to turn on HDR (not leave it at auto) and turn Dolby Vision on (in your screen setting). You might want to try this regardless of weather the Movies has Dolby Vision. That said, I haven't seen a good HDR image, except for the Jack Reacher series on Amazon Prime--that was absolutely perfect 4K and HDR. It blew me away.
post #643 of 755 Old 12-17-2018, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 160
How are you getting it to say when it's in HDR? Mine never says...
post #644 of 755 Old 12-17-2018, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BenQ TK800 Announced.

Quote:
Yes, the TK800 goes into HDR mode and when I pause the video, it says it's in HDR. There is an issue with Dolby Vision, though, and if the movie has Dolby vision, you have to turn on HDR (not leave it at auto) and turn Dolby Vision on (in your screen setting). You might want to try this regardless of weather the Movies has Dolby Vision. That said, I haven't seen a good HDR image, except for the Jack Reacher series on Amazon Prime--that was absolutely perfect 4K and HDR. It blew me away.

The TK800 doesn’t accept Dolby Vision, only HDR10. So wouldn’t you turn off Dolby Vision on your player? Your X700 features Dolby Vision but my X800 doesn’t so I don’t know how it functions in the player. My X800 has one setting to turn HDR on (auto) or off. By turning it off the Sony will perform the HDR to SDR tone mapping and it does a pretty poor job of it. Leaving it on enables another selection: display type. Here you can choose from TV or Projector with ‘TV’ being the full HDR-range and ‘Projector’ being a slightly compressed range. Have you played with these?

And I take it back: I am getting HDR on Netflix. Just noticed it tonight (although I haven’t watched a show since I finished ST: TNG so it could have been added in an update and I just didn’t notice). Interestingly enough I seem to get the choice of either or. As in, I see shows labeled ‘HDR’ or ‘Ultra HD 4K’ but apparently not both? Currently watching Maniac in HDR and it looks fantastic. I checked the menu on my HT2550 just to be sure and the projector is locked into Cinema picture mode and I have HDR brightness instead of gamma under advanced— the most sure fire way to confirm HDR is active. Apparently I’m also getting 2160p but I highly suspect my Sony X800 is upscaling the image.

Hopping over to PE2, which is listed ‘Ultra HD 4K’, the image looks extremely sharp but right away I notice the lack of HDR. Sure enough, the picture mode on the BenQ is unlocked and I have ‘gamma’ instead of ‘HDR brightness’. As I own the 4K Blu-ray release of PE2 (and have watched it more times than I care to count) I’m very familiar with this material. The Netflix 4K stream looks good but it can’t hold a candle to the physical release.

Last edited by sage11x; 12-17-2018 at 07:25 PM.
post #645 of 755 Old 12-17-2018, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornsk57 View Post
How are you getting it to say when it's in HDR? Mine never says...

See my post above. Check to see if you are locked into Cinema mode and look for HDR Brightness under advanced settings. That will indicate the projector has detected HDR and auto selected the appropriate mode.

post #646 of 755 Old 12-18-2018, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
See my post above. Check to see if you are locked into Cinema mode and look for HDR Brightness under advanced settings. That will indicate the projector has detected HDR and auto selected the appropriate mode.
As Sage says, you will see that picture modes are greyed out locking into Cinema mode. You can still go into the menu and switch HDR from Auto to SDR and it will switch. I have done this and it actually improves the image, especially for older movies that are stuck will high film contrast when in HDR 4K UHD mode. A perfect example is the UHD version of the 2002 special version of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. The HDR version is awful, plus 4K adds absolutely no value to the image because of the film grain. I've given up on UHD of movies older than 2000.
post #647 of 755 Old 12-18-2018, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As Sage says, you will see that picture modes are greyed out locking into Cinema mode. You can still go into the menu and switch HDR from Auto to SDR and it will switch. I have done this and it actually improves the image, especially for older movies that are stuck will high film contrast when in HDR 4K UHD mode. A perfect example is the UHD version of the 2002 special version of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. The HDR version is awful, plus 4K adds absolutely no value to the image because of the film grain. I've given up on UHD of movies older than 2000.

Are you talking about streaming or the 4K disc?

I’ve found that older movies look phenomenal in 4K! In fact, that’s one of my favorite things about 4K projectors in general is you can enjoy re-releases of classic movies that utilize high quality scans of original film stock. I have the recently released M:I 6 movie collection on 4K Blu-ray and the first movie got a complete rescan from the original 35mm. It’s astounding! It’s like having an actual reel to reel projector without the expense or clatter! Now, the nature of digital displays and these bright pixel shifters specifically is that grain can often look like noise. And in some cases, like with the rescan of M:I 1 and even the 35mm parts of M:I 6, this grain can be quite heavy. Some people really don’t like that but I do and think it looks authentic. I’d much rather have the grain than the forced noise reduction of the Sony 295 or some of the LG OLEDs which scrubs away fine detail in the process.

Last edited by sage11x; 12-18-2018 at 08:20 AM.
post #648 of 755 Old 12-19-2018, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 408
skip. redundant.

Upstairs - Sony 75x940e: soundbar - Klipsch R-20B
Basement - BenQ HT3050: screen - Elite 125" motorized ATS: speakers - RF-7IIx2, RC-64II, RS-41IIx2, RS-42IIx2, AVR Denon x4000 -- subs PC-12NSD + RW12D
Bedroom - LG 65eg9600: soundbar - LG SH3K

Last edited by Teremei; 12-19-2018 at 07:51 AM.
post #649 of 755 Old 12-19-2018, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm just going through posts right now thanks @scottyroo you must be in heaven in that theater room 160" screen, amazing speakers. Wow. I just have my 125" kinda built into my finished basement/computer room. 125" is the absolute largest that will fit on my wall. But your review def made me more likely to get this thing like right now as opposed to later.

Basement - BenQ HT3050: screen - Elite 125" motorized ATS: speakers - RF-7IIx2, RC-64II, RS-41IIx2, RS-42IIx2, AVR Denon x4000 -- subs PC-12NSD + RW12D
post #650 of 755 Old 12-19-2018, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks like 13' is the minimum for 125" and I have mine at about 11.5'. So I will have to pay my AV guy $150 or whatever to move it back. So that puts the nail into upgrading now. Right now I play PS4 on my 3050. But man it's gonna be so awesome playing Xbox Next or PS5 in 4K on this thing. Just thinking about it makes me excited. But I gotta be patient.

Last edited by Teremei; 12-19-2018 at 07:51 AM.
post #651 of 755 Old 12-19-2018, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
Looks like 13' is the minimum for 125" and I have mine at about 11.5'. So I will have to pay my AV guy $150 or whatever to move it back. So that puts the nail into upgrading now. Right now I play PS4 on my 3050. But man it's gonna be so awesome playing Xbox Next or PS5 in 4K on this thing. Just thinking about it makes me excited. But I gotta be patient.

Yeah I was about to respond to your previous post: throws are quite different between these models. Also, the cases are different. The HT2550/TK800 is a bit more compact than the HT2050/3050 and the 4K models lack lens shift.

If you currently have an HT3050 you may want to give some thought to waiting for the HT3550. Of course, it depends on your budget. $1500 and under you’ll want to stick with the HT2550/TK800. If you can spend a bit more the HT3550 should be an across the board improvement over the HT3050 you already own. The HT3050 is generally considered one of the best 1080p projectors anywhere near it’s price.

post #652 of 755 Old 12-19-2018, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah I was about to respond to your previous post: throws are quite different between these models. Also, the cases are different. The HT2550/TK800 is a bit more compact than the HT2050/3050 and the 4K models lack lens shift.

If you currently have an HT3050 you may want to give some thought to waiting for the HT3550. Of course, it depends on your budget. $1500 and under you’ll want to stick with the HT2550/TK800. If you can spend a bit more the HT3550 should be an across the board improvement over the HT3050 you already own. The HT3050 is generally considered one of the best 1080p projectors anywhere near it’s price.

I can afford to wait. I won't really be using it frequently til PS5/Xbox Scarlett come out. But as with most people in this hobby you know when the bug hits, it is hard to wait. Thanks for the heads up on that other model. I can certainly afford to see what models come out in the next year. I couldn't find any articles on google when searching benq HT3550, do you have any links you can show me about this projector?

post #653 of 755 Old 12-19-2018, 11:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I watched a vid of the t800 vs ht2550 and I see the difference in a dark room. The ht2550 looks way better in a dark room. So I think it is a good idea to wait and see what the 3550 is all about.

post #654 of 755 Old 12-20-2018, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
I can afford to wait. I won't really be using it frequently til PS5/Xbox Scarlett come out. But as with most people in this hobby you know when the bug hits, it is hard to wait. Thanks for the heads up on that other model. I can certainly afford to see what models come out in the next year. I couldn't find any articles on google when searching benq HT3550, do you have any links you can show me about this projector?

It actually hasn’t been announced yet. I learned about it sometime in the spring and it was finally leaked about a month or two ago. The official announcement will happen early next year. However, you can find a thread about it here under BenQ W2700 (the model number for the rest of the world) with most of the details regarding it’s features. It looks VERY promising although BenQ has been clear that it will be selling at a higher price point than the Ht2550/TK800 did.

As for the HT2550 vs the TK800. Yes, the Ht2550 is the better projector for dark room use. One thing to note: if you are considering an HT2550 at it’s current sale price I would act now. While this projector will continue to be sold as the W1700 in the rest of the world it has been discontinued here in the states. While I get why they are doing it (high brightness models dominate the lower end of the projector price spectrum) it’s a shame as the HT2550 is a truly awesome piece of kit and a fantastic deal at it’s current sale price. The last firmware update (1.0.3) offered a massive improvement in performance and I think this model would have been better received had BenQ shipped it that way to begin with. In either case, expect more high brightness models in the sub $1500 price range going forward.

post #655 of 755 Old 12-20-2018, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@sage11x ah I see. I saw that thread. I didn't know it was literally the 3550 under a different name. I'll def read through that thread, thanks! So Once I saw that vid comparing the 2550 to the 800 I realized how much richer the colors would be in my dark basement. 3000 vs 2200 sure sounds pretty impressive. But it turns out I probably should stick to the lower lumens ones since they are more impressive in dark rooms. I don't need a 4K projector until the next gen systems come out. So I can wait a year to see if the 3550 drops in price a bit. I don't mind paying a little bit more if it's that much better than the 2550. I want a projector to keep long term. So I want to make the right decision. Thanks for your input!

post #656 of 755 Old 12-21-2018, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Did not get latest firmware

I've been creeping this thread for a while and never had a projector....so I'm a newbie.

Anyways. I purchased the TK800 last week from Amazon after it went out of stock for a while. Amazon sold and shipped, not third party. Build date is July 2018. Checked firmware and it's still 1.0.0 unfortunately. I was not expecting that since I believed it would be latest.

I went to register my TK800 on Benqs website and from the pull down menu I cannot find the option for it but I find the 2050 among all the others.

Two questions please:
1. What exactly changed with the firmware. Is their a changelog.
2. HOw did you guys register your TK800 for the warranty.

I appreciate everything everyone on here has taught me.
post #657 of 755 Old 12-21-2018, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

BenQ TK800 Announced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmuffins View Post
I've been creeping this thread for a while and never had a projector....so I'm a newbie.

Anyways. I purchased the TK800 last week from Amazon after it went out of stock for a while. Amazon sold and shipped, not third party. Build date is July 2018. Checked firmware and it's still 1.0.0 unfortunately. I was not expecting that since I believed it would be latest.

I went to register my TK800 on Benqs website and from the pull down menu I cannot find the option for it but I find the 2050 among all the others.

Two questions please:

1. What exactly changed with the firmware. Is their a changelog.

2. HOw did you guys register your TK800 for the warranty.

I appreciate everything everyone on here has taught me.

I can ask. BenQ doesn’t publish this information as the firmware revisions are not user upgradeable. The only reason we’re even talking about firmware revisions with any of their projectors is because of the HT2550/W1700. Unfortunately, the HT2550 shipped with a couple of bugs and HDR performance that was meh. BenQ quickly realized the error and rushed to get a new firmware out that fixed the prior issues and dramatically improved HDR support. The Tk800 shipped well after the HT2550 and had the luxury of shipping feature-complete. Meaning 1.0.0 units function exactly as they should.

To summarize: the only projector in their lineup that you should sweat the firmware revision is the HT2550 and you’re looking for fw rev 1.0.3 or later.

post #658 of 755 Old 12-21-2018, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The Tk800 shipped well after the HT2550 and had the luxury of shipping feature-complete. Meaning 1.0.0 units function exactly as they should.

To summarize: the only projector in their lineup that you should sweat the firmware revision is the HT2550 and you’re looking for fw rev 1.0.3 or later.
Almost right, Sage. The TK800 had a firmware update in April to 1.0.1 to fix a color and 3D sync issues. I have one with that upgrade, though, I still have issues with SBS and T/B 3D, that was supposed to be fixed.
sage11x likes this.
post #659 of 755 Old 12-21-2018, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Almost right, Sage. The TK800 had a firmware update in April to 1.0.1 to fix a color and 3D sync issues. I have one with that upgrade, though, I still have issues with SBS and T/B 3D, that was supposed to be fixed.
Hm... It's possible my review sample was a 1.0.1 then. April was the month this projector first shipped so the move from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1 must have been almost immediately after launch. The only issue I remember post launch was the speaker buzz which I don't recall needing a FW update to fix (they just had customers swap them out for models without the defect). Of course, I didn't get my review sample as early as I typically do. I believe the model was already out and in customers hands by the time I got a look.

post #660 of 755 Old 12-23-2018, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Hm... It's possible my review sample was a 1.0.1 then. April was the month this projector first shipped so the move from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1 must have been almost immediately after launch. The only issue I remember post launch was the speaker buzz which I don't recall needing a FW update to fix (they just had customers swap them out for models without the defect). Of course, I didn't get my review sample as early as I typically do. I believe the model was already out and in customers hands by the time I got a look.
I misspoke earlier my build date on my TK800 is actually June 2018 (not July). So I'm not sure why I do not have latest fw if the fw was ready in April or even May. What's up Benq ?

I submitted an RMA and got approved. Won't be sending it until after the 1st of the year so I can enjoy it during my time off.

Either way it's been fun creating a budget theater room in the basement....will be upgrading/adding to it VERY slowly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page