BenQ TK800 Announced. - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 281Likes

post #721 of 748 Old 02-27-2019, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbury86 View Post
I also use my TK800 a lot and in general i´m also very satisfied with it. I was one of the first to have the firmware version 1.0.1 on my projector and also informed about it in this thread.

What bothers me is that with a HDR signal there is no selection of image modes available.
When i´m using HDR on my both TV´s (LG, TCL), a picture mode (HDR game, HDR movie, HDR standard) can be selected.

Using the TK800 I always notice that watching a movie or game with an HDR signal, the colors are very weak, although HDR should improve the colors.
I know that HDR provides a more accurate gradations of colors and so it may seem that the colors are not so strong, but somehow I am disappointed with the HDR performance.
It does not matter if the HDR image comes from my PS4 Game, a MediaPlayer with a 4K movie, or my PC. The color representation is always identical.

The HDR Brightness setting makes the image brighter or darker, but does not improve the colors.
What are your experiences with the HDR image?
that is not my experience with hdr on the tk800- it provides very vibrant colors compared to when not in hdr mode.

i used this article to calibrate my projector with great success: https://www.projectorreviews.com/ben...tion-settings/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 748 Old 02-28-2019, 02:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by partcrash View Post
that is not my experience with hdr on the tk800- it provides very vibrant colors compared to when not in hdr mode.

i used this article to calibrate my projector with great success: https://www.projectorreviews.com/ben...tion-settings/
Hi partcrash,

i know the site and i have also used thise calibration settings for my picture modes.
However, I do not understand one thing.

When calibrating 4K HDR it is written that User 2 Mode was used. But I have no way to activate the user 2 mode if an HDR signal is available.
The selection of the picture options (Vivid, Standard, Movie, Football, Sports) is not available when an HDR signal is used. It will automatically display HDR as the picture setting and the option can not be changed.
post #723 of 748 Old 02-28-2019, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Hi partcrash,

i know the site and i have also used thise calibration settings for my picture modes.

When calibrating 4K HDR it is written that User 2 Mode was used. But I have no way to activate the user 2 mode if an HDR signal is available.
The selection of the picture options (Vivid, Standard, Movie, Football, Sports) is not available when an HDR signal is used. It will automatically display HDR as the picture setting and the option can not be changed.
It sounds like your firmware added the auto-switch to HDR which I believe is how the HT2550 works as well. You should still be able to adjust all settings that were available when you had firmware 1.0.0, you just cannot change any of the other preset modes. I am continually amazed at how good UHD discs look with this projector, especially the bump in color from HDR and I am just using the Cinema preset.

-Dano
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #724 of 748 Old 02-28-2019, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Hi partcrash,

ugh... that is not how my projector behaves... so in 1.0.1 there is no option to change settings when in hdr mode?
post #725 of 748 Old 02-28-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
ugh... that is not how my projector behaves... so in 1.0.1 there is no option to change settings when in hdr mode?
That does not sound right. Even when in 3D Mode I am able to change settings, although I am limited to that one mode. I would contact BenQ Tech Support.

-Dano
post #726 of 748 Old 02-28-2019, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
+1

Though there was mention of calibration settings available on the forum I couldn't really locate them with the searches I did. I too ended up with these settings and have been quite happy with it.
post #727 of 748 Old 03-01-2019, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Lord View Post
+1

Though there was mention of calibration settings available on the forum I couldn't really locate them with the searches I did. I too ended up with these settings and have been quite happy with it.
I will take some pictures of my settings and a comparison of the HDR picture and the standard picture. I should also add that i found the same problems when i use my Playstation 4 Pro, a 4K TV Box or my Computer. So I can rule out that it is due to wrong settings on a device.

I have also connected directly from those options to the Projektor and have omitted the AVR (although this provides the HDR compatibility). The results are always the same.
post #728 of 748 Old 03-03-2019, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Lord View Post
+1

I was able to take some pictures last night.
Unfortunately, these do not show the difference in quality quite as much as you can see with the eyes.
Maybe it is enough to see that the HDR picture looks a lot paler and definitely poorer than the normal picture.

For the normal picture I took the picture mode Vivid. But it must be mentioned that football or sports also looks a lot more color rich compared to the HDR-Picture.

I took a HDR game on a PS4 Pro (Ratchet & Clank) and on a PC (Forza Horizon 4) for the comparison, so 2 different devices were used.

I also made pictures of the HDR picture Settings to show you, that it is not possible to change the picture mode, when HDR Content is being shown. The HDR Settings are those from the review you guys posted.

Perhaps it can be seen that the image in the game Forza Horizon loses much of its color in HDR mode.
In Ratchet and Clank, the colors are totally unnatural and very yellowish. The picture may even look better for someone, but it is actually not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDR Picture with Settings 2.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	335.5 KB
ID:	2533606   Click image for larger version

Name:	HDR Picture 2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	327.1 KB
ID:	2533608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vivid Picture (2).jpg
Views:	71
Size:	343.8 KB
ID:	2533610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vivid Picture with settings 2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	347.7 KB
ID:	2533612   Click image for larger version

Name:	HDR Picture Mode.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	2533620  

Name:	Vivid Picture Mode.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	2533622  
scottyroo likes this.

Last edited by starbury86; 03-03-2019 at 01:50 AM.
post #729 of 748 Old 03-05-2019, 06:03 AM

The settings you need to change are under Advanced (Erweitert).

-Dano
post #730 of 748 Old 03-05-2019, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
I was able to take some pictures last night.
Unfortunately, these do not show the difference in quality quite as much as you can see with the eyes.
Maybe it is enough to see that the HDR picture looks a lot paler and definitely poorer than the normal picture.
Did you dial in these settings as well under Advanced ?
https://www.projectorreviews.com/ben...d-calibration/
post #731 of 748 Old 03-05-2019, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 813
TK800M product page launched - new thread here for those who care!

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
post #732 of 748 Old 03-06-2019, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi guys,
I just wanted to let you know that I got my TK800 back from BenQ's service center, that I sent in for a firmware upgrade from v.1.0.0. It now has v.9.0.2.

What are the main changes I should look for?
What I can confirm so far:
  • HDR HLG support
  • Ability to automatically detect, or manually select, SDR, HDR10 or HLG modes
  • Quieter: no more static noise coming from the built in speaker
  • Faster calibration time, for some formats

From what I read online, it may also fix 3D-related issues. But I can't tell as I haven't tried this yet.
post #733 of 748 Old 03-08-2019, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokterdok View Post
Hi guys,
I just wanted to let you know that I got my TK800 back from BenQ's service center, that I sent in for a firmware upgrade from v.1.0.0. It now has v.9.0.2.

• HDR HLG support

From what I read online, it may also fix 3D-related issues. But I can't tell as I haven't tried this yet.
Thanks for the heads up on the FW updates. BenQ has historically been very good at post-launch firmware support of their projectors.

Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
post #734 of 748 Old 03-08-2019, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got my BenQ TK800 back some weeks ago with Firmware 9.0.1. I wonder what´s the difference between 9.0.1 and 9.0.2?!? I can`t and information for firmware changes
post #735 of 748 Old 03-08-2019, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Hi guys,

• HDR HLG support

Hi, I'm considering sending my HT2550 in for firmware update. Back in Oct. a member sent his in and received 1.05 mines 1.03. The updates were similar to yours. What I'm wondering about is long it took and how they sent it back, ground or 2 day. Thanks

mark
post #736 of 748 Old 03-11-2019, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky7 View Post
Hi, I'm considering sending my HT2550 in for firmware update. Back in Oct. a member sent his in and received 1.05 mines 1.03. The updates were similar to yours. What I'm wondering about is long it took and how they sent it back, ground or 2 day. Thanks

mark
I guess it can take anywhere between a few days (BenQ Europe's initial email stated 5 work days to upgrade a firmware) and 2 months (in my case, the actual elapsed time between creating the RMA ticket and getting a fixed unit).

My case was unusually long however, as I had a textbook aftersales nightmare with BenQ's Swiss partner service center Sertronics. They apparently lost my unit or case number at one point, failed doing the actual firmware upgrade, sent back a defective unit, had no replacement parts or new units in stock, and ignored emails. To BenQ's credit, once I raised this to their EU HQ, they shipped a new unit within 20 minutes via UPS Standard.
post #737 of 748 Old 03-11-2019, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I guess it can take anywhere between a few days (BenQ Europe's initial email stated 5 work days to upgrade a firmware) and 2 months (in my case, the actual elapsed time between creating the RMA ticket and getting a fixed unit).

My case was unusually long however, as I had a textbook aftersales nightmare with BenQ's Swiss partner service center Sertronics. They apparently lost my unit or case number at one point, failed doing the actual firmware upgrade, sent back a defective unit, had no replacement parts or new units in stock, and ignored emails. To BenQ's credit, once I raised this to their EU HQ, they shipped a new unit within 20 minutes via UPS Standard.
Thanks for the reply didn't notice you weren't in the US.I know when you're getting it fixed its different than a firmware update. I guess I'll just call them.

mark
post #738 of 748 Old 04-05-2019, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

My review of the updated TK800M is up here

post #739 of 748 Old 04-16-2019, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Hi guys,

• HDR HLG support

Just got mine back too (I'm in the UK) and I'm now on 9.0.2 as well. I can confirm everything you said above, especially I've noticed that changing picture modes is a lot faster.
They apparently changed the main board on mine and the noise from the XPR mechanism seems a lot better, but it's hard to tell, could be psychological!

As well as what you've mentioned, when I leave it in AUTO for HDR, it does give a much clearer indication that it's in HDR mode as it says it on the info. You don't need to dive into the brightness menu to see if it's changed to a HDR brightness option.

Also I was on 1.0.0 and this has added proper SBS 3d, although the resolution actually seems pretty poor to me.

Anyway, very pleased. I have a 55" OLED and didn't realise how much I've missed a massive 4k screen :-)
dokterdok likes this.
post #740 of 748 Old 04-19-2019, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
When I adjust the focus of my projector, and find the sweet spot, one half of the screen will be blurred while the other one will be clear and vice versa. Does this have to do with the fact that the wall I'm running the tests on is not completely flat and vertical?

Last edited by foumfo; 04-19-2019 at 02:36 PM.
post #741 of 748 Old 04-20-2019, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
this might be a foolish question, but has anyone managed to enable 10 bpc output through the Nvidia panel?
post #742 of 748 Old 05-01-2019, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foumfo View Post
When I adjust the focus of my projector, and find the sweet spot, one half of the screen will be blurred while the other one will be clear and vice versa. Does this have to do with the fact that the wall I'm running the tests on is not completely flat and vertical?
I have a similar issue, perhaps because I use keystone correction (although low) and have set the focus control to an extreme end. I can't get a razor sharp picture edge to edge. However to me it's a minor inconvenience, as the blurry areas are noticeable only if I stand up and get close to the screen.
post #743 of 748 Old 05-22-2019, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
TK800 Freezing on Startup

I have a ceiling mounted TK800 throwing to 120" screen. The HDMI cable is a 30' Twisted Veins which is well reviewed and appears to have the appropriate support. It is attached to my Yamaha TSR-7850.

When I first start the projector up for the day, it will often freeze during the startup process. The attached picture shows what is displayed on the screen. The picture is static. Once it is frozen, it cannot be controlled from the remote. I can't Power it off and try again due to this. If I climb up and unplug the unit and plug it back in, it will usually start up fine.

The projector takes an extremely long time to start up and display something on the screen even when it is working. I did a simple test and it took 1:18 before my Roku screen appeared.

I also have issues with HDR from my Roku. The Roku thinks that it can use 4k HDR @60, but the projector cannot find the source once it tries to use that mode.

BenQ did an RMA for me, but all they actually did was to update the firmware to 1.0.1. When I told them that I still had the problem, they of course point to the long cable and also having it run through the receiver. I wouldn't expect the unit to hang like that in any case, but was hoping someone on here might have a suggestion.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TK800-Picture While Projector is  Frozen.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	2570172  
post #744 of 748 Old 06-15-2019, 12:17 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Can anyone here confirm that the TK800 uses the same lamp as the W1700? https://www.benq.eu/en-eu/accessory/...1700-lamp.html

My lamp just died after only 500 hours >_<... (when starting the projector it gives image for a minute, and then stops, the lamp led goes red, and it turns itself off again...).

Looking @ BenQ.eu they only mention the W1700 projector with that lamp, but it's the same code as i see mentioned for the TK800 lamps. I don't find much specific information about these lamps -_-.
post #745 of 748 Old 06-15-2019, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi all!

I just purchased TK800 and found there are no 3D modes: top-Bottom, Side-by-Side. There is only one option Frame Sequential and it is disabled.
I am pretty sure I have 3D input signal.
Is it because my firmware version is 1.0.0? If I upgrade it will it solve the problem? Can I do it by myself?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190613_214548.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	2580226   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190613_214601.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	2580228  
post #746 of 748 Old 06-15-2019, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 2635 Post(s)
Liked: 2580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Liao View Post
Hi all!

I just purchased TK800 and found there are no 3D modes: top-Bottom, Side-by-Side. There is only one option Frame Sequential and it is disabled.
Is it because my firmware version is 1.0.0? If I upgrade it will it solve the problem? Can I do it by myself?

It’s been awhile but I believe that was fixed in a firmware update. I haven’t been following this thread as closely and my knowledge of 3D formats is woeful as I’ve simply lost interest in the format. Unfortunately, the TK800 does not have user upgradeable firmware— benQ just started adding that with the new HT3550.

Contact BenQ and ask them what the current firmware revision is and see if you can send it in for service.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #747 of 748 Old 06-15-2019, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Liao View Post
Hi all!

My HT2550 was in the same boat. No SBS & O/U the 2550 I think firmware was 1.0.1 had to send to BenQ for upgrade for 1.0.5. When I got it back O/U & SBS 3D. BenQ pays shipping both ways also on 2550 they added HLG. So i'm sure the TK800 will be the same.
sage11x likes this.
post #748 of 748 Old 06-15-2019, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thank you two! I will contact BenQ next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
It's been awhile but I believe that was fixed in a firmware update. I haven't been following this thread as closely and my knowledge of 3D formats is woeful as I've simply lost interest in the format. Unfortunately, the TK800 does not have user upgradeable firmware— benQ just started adding that with the new HT3550.

Contact BenQ and ask them what the current firmware revision is and see if you can send it in for service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky7 View Post
My HT2550 was in the same boat. No SBS & O/U the 2550 I think firmware was 1.0.1 had to send to BenQ for upgrade for 1.0.5. When I got it back O/U & SBS 3D. BenQ pays shipping both ways also on 2550 they added HLG. So i'm sure the TK800 will be the same.
sage11x likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page