• 1 Post By Brajesh
  • 1 Post By rekbones

post #1 of 17 Old 03-12-2018, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Help me! HT2550 vs. UHD60/65

So I ordered a 2550 (Not in yet) and I thought I made up my mind but obviously I'm looking for input. I've read all the reviews and I was talking to someone at a Magnolia Best Buy and he mentioned the Optoma UHD line. While waiting forever to talk to him again, he was tangled up with some guy on speakers for 45 minutes and I ended up leaving.

Anyhow, I read the reviews and even looked on Youtube on the way home and I'm really impressed with the 65 based on reveiws. I was contemplating going with the Epson 5040UB but the sharpness really threw me off that. On Youtube, they show that the Optoma really beats on the 5040.

So I guess the question is, do I go for the 65 or stick with the HT2550. To me, the 65 would last longer than the 2550. What I mean by last longer, will I want to upgrade from the 2550 after a year or two because some new models in the $2500 and under price point. So is the $800 worth it to move up to the 65.

Some may know that I'm upgraded from a HT3050. I have really liked this budget projector but with a lot of hobbies, this one was just a gateway drug.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-12-2018, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDee78 View Post
So I ordered a 2550 (Not in yet) and I thought I made up my mind but obviously I'm looking for input. I've read all the reviews and I was talking to someone at a Magnolia Best Buy and he mentioned the Optoma UHD line. While waiting forever to talk to him again, he was tangled up with some guy on speakers for 45 minutes and I ended up leaving.

Anyhow, I read the reviews and even looked on Youtube on the way home and I'm really impressed with the 65 based on reveiws. I was contemplating going with the Epson 5040UB but the sharpness really threw me off that. On Youtube, they show that the Optoma really beats on the 5040.

So I guess the question is, do I go for the 65 or stick with the HT2550. To me, the 65 would last longer than the 2550. What I mean by last longer, will I want to upgrade from the 2550 after a year or two because some new models in the $2500 and under price point. So is the $800 worth it to move up to the 65.

Some may know that I'm upgraded from a HT3050. I have really liked this budget projector but with a lot of hobbies, this one was just a gateway drug.

Thanks.
If you're a gamer the UHD65 will be an issue because of the input lag. If you're not interested in gaming on the projector then the UHD65 is the one to go with over the 2550 IMO. The lag is improved on the 2550 but the picture quality is not as good for movies.
post #3 of 17 Old 03-12-2018, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 2750 Post(s)
Liked: 2727
The HT2550 has better color out of the box, 3D and input lag that I would consider playable. For the nearly $800 upgrade in price the UHD65 brings a larger, quieter chassis with vertical lens shift that should improve placement flexibility. The UHD65 uses a larger DMD that has better contrast performance— but be warned that neither of these will measure up to the contrast of your HT3050 although the UHD65 will come closer here. In theory the larger DMD should also be sharper but the difference seems to be subtle. Most people claim the .66 is marginally sharper although, ironically, the .47 does better on test patterns. Still, we don’t watch test patterns. If you’re a gamer you should avoid the 65– the lag is too high for even casual gamers. The UHD60 has equivalent input lag to the HT2550 but the loss of RGBRGB colorwheel will mean a higher occurrence of RBE (if you’re sensitive to it) and worse color.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 03-12-2018, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Worse color to the 2550 or the UHD65 or both? Because both use the RGBRGB wheel.

I do game on the HT3050. But I go in phases. Play games a lot for a few months, then don't touch them for 6 mo.

I'm also concerned about the light boarder and the light leakage. My HT3050 does have the light leakage. I'm using a 2.35:1 or something real close to that for a screen. Its not a 16:9.

-JD-

Last edited by JayDee78; 03-12-2018 at 01:45 PM.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-12-2018, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Worse color to the 2550 or the UHD65 or both? Because both use the RGBRGB wheel.

I do game on the HT3050. But I go in phases. Play games a lot for a few months, then don't touch them for 6 mo.

I'm also concerned about the light boarder and the light leakage. My HT3050 does have the light leakage. I'm using a 2.35:1 or something real close to that for a screen. Its not a 16:9.

-JD-

Both. Not to say the color is bad on the UHD60 but both the HT2550 and UHD65 will have more accurate color.

If you’re using a 2.35:1 screen my guess is you already have a huge light border, right? Or are you leaving the edges of the screen unused?

I can not recommend the UHD65 for gaming— the lag is too high. As it is, the lag on the HT2550 and UHD60 is high but I feel it will be acceptable for most casual gamers. For comparison the lag on your HT3050 is around 30/33ms.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

Last edited by sage11x; 03-12-2018 at 03:08 PM.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-12-2018, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

So, honestly the only performance gain over the 65 is going to be a slightly sharper image and marginally better colors??

When I first started shopping for projectors I was looking at the 2050 because of its input lag but found a great deal on the 3050 and it seems to be just fine for gaming. Not had any issues but then again, my internet connection is bad enough that I'm not playing FPS's.

For now, I think I'll stay the course and stick with the HT2550. I was thinking bigger is better and based on the YouTube reviews, the UHD65 seemed like it would be leaps and bounds better than the 2550. Bigger is better right?

I hate that Best Buy charges a 15% restocking fee. I wouldn't even be asking these questions if I didn't feel "locked" into a purchase. A worker at the store I purchased it from said to just report it was bad out of the box to get around the restocking fee. Its a non-standard stock item. I may try it if I don't like it and then move to the UHD65.

-JD-
post #7 of 17 Old 03-12-2018, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 297
This might help as well.
Calibratedlumens likes this.

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus
post #8 of 17 Old 03-12-2018, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So, honestly the only performance gain over the 65 is going to be a slightly sharper image and marginally better colors??

When I first started shopping for projectors I was looking at the 2050 because of its input lag but found a great deal on the 3050 and it seems to be just fine for gaming. Not had any issues but then again, my internet connection is bad enough that I'm not playing FPS's.

For now, I think I'll stay the course and stick with the HT2550. I was thinking bigger is better and based on the YouTube reviews, the UHD65 seemed like it would be leaps and bounds better than the 2550. Bigger is better right?

I hate that Best Buy charges a 15% restocking fee. I wouldn't even be asking these questions if I didn't feel "locked" into a purchase. A worker at the store I purchased it from said to just report it was bad out of the box to get around the restocking fee. Its a non-standard stock item. I may try it if I don't like it and then move to the UHD65.

-JD-

Wait— I apologize! If you have an early model HT3050 those had 50ms of lag. It was only the later revisions that dropped to 30ms.

And let me clarify: the UHD65 has the best contrast and black levels between the three you’re considering: the 65, 60 and HT2550. What I was trying to say is none of them are as good as your HT3050 in terms of blacks/contrast.

So the order from best to worst for contrast/blacks would be your HT3050 (best), then the UHD65, then the UHD60, and then finally the HT2550.

And I doubt you’ll see better color as the 3050 came with a factory calibration and is alreadyreally good.

Last edited by sage11x; 03-12-2018 at 03:43 PM.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-12-2018, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Wait— I apologize! If you have an early model HT3050 those had 50ms of lag. It was only the later revisions that dropped to 30ms.

And let me clarify: the UHD65 has the best contrast and black levels between the three you’re considering: the 65, 60 and HT2550. What I was trying to say is none of them are as good as your HT3050 in terms of blacks/contrast.

So the order from best to worst for contrast/blacks would be your HT3050 (best), then the UHD65, then the UHD60, and then finally the HT2550.
How would I tell what version of the HT3050 I have? I played the holy hell out of Forza 7 on my 3050. Never experienced any lag issues.

I'm likely going to go with the "It's broke" when I try to return it. What's the worse they say, is, restocking fee. I'll likely then throw how much money I've spent in Best Buy stores over the last 20 years.

Btw, did I mention that you aren't making it easy for me?

-JD-
post #10 of 17 Old 03-12-2018, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How would I tell what version of the HT3050 I have? I played the holy hell out of Forza 7 on my 3050. Never experienced any lag issues.

I'm likely going to go with the "It's broke" when I try to return it. What's the worse they say, is, restocking fee. I'll likely then throw how much money I've spent in Best Buy stores over the last 20 years.

Btw, did I mention that you aren't making it easy for me?

-JD-

Has to do with the firmware revisions and I’ve forgotten which one is which now.

As for Best Buy’s restocking fee... why no just order form amazon?

post #11 of 17 Old 03-12-2018, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Has to do with the firmware revisions and I’ve forgotten which one is which now.

As for Best Buy’s restocking fee... why no just order form amazon?
I'm a big fan of 0% financing......

This wait is flipping agonizing.

Also, Amazon doesn't stock the UHD65. I think the UHD60 is off the table as its cost increase doesn't justify moving from the HT2550.

-JD-
post #12 of 17 Old 03-12-2018, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

I’m always fascinated by these reviews. David says he found contrast to be better on the UHD60 than the Epson 4000. Meanwhile, Chris Heinonen found the exact opposite: that the Epson has better contrast than any DLP he had previously reviewed. David found the UHD60 to be the sharpest of the three but in Evan’s review on projector central he found the optoma suffered from focus issues as you moved outside of the center 2/3 of the image.

It just goes to show that you can use these reviews up to a point— then you have to see what looks best to you.

post #13 of 17 Old 03-12-2018, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Agree, these are inputs in taking that leap of faith ordering a PJ, but owner reviews and the collective consensus (that sway to mostly positive or not) carry more weight.
sage11x likes this.

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus
post #14 of 17 Old 03-12-2018, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 545
The UHD65 also has FI so you might want to factor that is as it's the only one that has it. Some love FI like me some hate it but Optoma's version of it is top notch.
sage11x likes this.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #15 of 17 Old 08-25-2018, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
The HT2550 has better color out of the box, 3D and input lag that I would consider playable. For the nearly $800 upgrade in price the UHD65 brings a larger, quieter chassis with vertical lens shift that should improve placement flexibility. The UHD65 uses a larger DMD that has better contrast performance— but be warned that neither of these will measure up to the contrast of your HT3050 although the UHD65 will come closer here. In theory the larger DMD should also be sharper but the difference seems to be subtle. Most people claim the .66 is marginally sharper although, ironically, the .47 does better on test patterns. Still, we don’t watch test patterns. If you’re a gamer you should avoid the 65– the lag is too high for even casual gamers. The UHD60 has equivalent input lag to the HT2550 but the loss of RGBRGB colorwheel will mean a higher occurrence of RBE (if you’re sensitive to it) and worse color.
Why you say UHD60 has a more visibile RBE?

Thank You,
D.
post #16 of 17 Old 08-25-2018, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Not to hijack here,but what separates the uhz 65 from the group? Aside from laser...
post #17 of 17 Old 08-25-2018, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darez View Post
Why you say UHD60 has a more visibile RBE?

Thank You,
D.
Wow. That's an old post you quoted.

Projectors with 6 segment RGBRGB color wheels like the UHD65 and HT2550 are less prone to showing RBE than projectors with RGBW or RGBCY color wheels. That is because the RGBRGB models get a 'second pass' as each pixel is created. That is not to say that you'll see RBE with an RGBW or RGBCY projector just that is more common to see RBE on those models.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page