HT1070 underwhelming color - alternatives? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-28-2018, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HT1070 underwhelming color - alternatives?

I just picked up the HT1070 based on recommendations everywhere, but I continue to mess with the colors trying to make it look better. In some movies, it's too dark so I turn up the brightness, but then it looks washed out trying to see detail so I turn up the contrast. It's a mess. I have looked for calibration options, but I'm having trouble finding them for this model.

I don't mean to be picky, but almost everytime I watch a movie I adjust settings. Is there a much better projector for just some more? I got this on sale for $500. Anything used or refurbished for 700-800?

Someone else has referenced me to JVC projectors, but those seem way too high.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-28-2018, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 779
My opinion is JVC has the best colors, optics and black levels for the money. HOWEVER, the base level JVC is likely going to be five to six times what you paid for the HT1070. Jumping to $700-$800 refurb projectors might get you a small improvement, but nothing earth shattering. For the most part, you get what you pay for with display devices. You need to decide first if you want to be happy with the value a lesser projector provides or if you want to start chasing the 'perfect' picture.

The Other Theater (most recent build)
Old Woods Remodel
Old Wood Theater (first build)
Emotiva RMC-1 9.1.6 | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
post #3 of 13 Old 03-28-2018, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 3520 Post(s)
Liked: 2696
Professional and user reviews have been pretty consistent that you aren't going to find any projector that throws a significantly better image than the HT1070 in a properly darkened home theater environment without spending a lot more money.

A couple of major variables that affect an individual's evaluation are the environment in which they are trying to view it in and their personal expectations. Some who are new to front projection have unrealistic expectations about the quality of the image they can get under different viewing conditions. Front projection is always best viewed in the dark like a commercial movie theater.

While DLP projectors like the HT1070 tend to perform very well in the dark some have found when viewing in more than a little ambient light that brighter 3LCD projectors like the 3,100-lumen Epson Home Cinema 1060 can produce a more viewable image. Reading the comparison review below might help you better understand this:

projectorcentral.com/BenQ-HT1070A-vs-Epson-Home-Cinema-1060-review.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-28-2018, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 214
I'd suggest looking at this review as it has some calibration info:

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...jector-review/

Did you buy it new? If not how many hours on the lamp? What screen size and screen are you using?

I'd also suggest always using SmartEco as this gives maximum brightness when needed and max contrast in low light scenes.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-28-2018, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
I'd suggest looking at this review as it has some calibration info:

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...jector-review/

Did you buy it new? If not how many hours on the lamp? What screen size and screen are you using?

I'd also suggest always using SmartEco as this gives maximum brightness when needed and max contrast in low light scenes.
I technically bought it new, but was sent open box. I can just return it and get a replacement, or a refund. I did find on BenQs refurb site the 2050 for 597. It's just $100 more. Would that be worth it?

I have about 50 hours on it so far. I will live if I have to keep it, but I hate regretting and send have to spend all this time figuring out what I should have gotten, selling what I have, etc. I'm within my return window, so I can change it if there is a worth while option.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-28-2018, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

I also noticed the 3050 is 777 refurbished on BenQ.

My room is mostly dark. I have two windows, but I cover them to get a nearly blacked out room, especially at night.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-28-2018, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 779
The HT1070 will likely be your best option at that price point. Making an additional $100 invest will not give you the night and day difference you are hoping to find. If you want a truly amazing picture, you will have to change your price range. If you are comfortable spending in the $500-$800 range, you likely have a great projector already in your home.

The Other Theater (most recent build)
Old Woods Remodel
Old Wood Theater (first build)
Emotiva RMC-1 9.1.6 | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
post #8 of 13 Old 03-28-2018, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoenphlux View Post
I also noticed the 3050 is 777 refurbished on BenQ.

My room is mostly dark. I have two windows, but I cover them to get a nearly blacked out room, especially at night.
What kind of screen are you using?

I'd suggest using cinema mode with default settings, Brilliant colour on and Smart eco and gamma = 2.2. This should look really good, and if not maybe you have a bad PJ.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-28-2018, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
What kind of screen are you using?

I'd suggest using cinema mode with default settings, Brilliant colour on and Smart eco and gamma = 2.2. This should look really good, and if not maybe you have a bad PJ.
I might be overthinking it or expecting too much vs an LED tv. I'm using a standard white mustang 92" manual pull down.

Also, noticed when I clicked into the 3050 page, it is actually 737.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-28-2018, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

I decided to return the HT1070, and I stumbled across a 15% off coupon for BenQ Direct Outlet. I ended up getting an HT2050 for $548 shipped w/ 1 yr warranty. I felt that was worth it the extra $48 over the HT1070, but wasn't worth another $140 over that for the HT3050.

I was considering higher end used projectors, but by the time I get the projectors shipped plus all-new 3D glasses, I would be out another $500-$600 on top of what I paid for the 1070. I would rather hold off, and just use this until I can get a proper 4k/3D in a couple years. I know BenQ is coming out with a 4k/3D for just $1500. I might pick it up refurbished next year and sell this one. Either way, this is my first projector and only a fill in to get my hands dirty. Once I feel it's time, I'll upgrade. I think I'll be satisfied with this one due to the amazing price. lol
post #11 of 13 Old 03-28-2018, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
I decided to return the HT1070, and I stumbled across a 15% off coupon for BenQ Direct Outlet. I ended up getting an HT2050 for $548 shipped w/ 1 yr warranty. I felt that was worth it the extra $48 over the HT1070, but wasn't worth another $140 over that for the HT3050.

I was considering higher end used projectors, but by the time I get the projectors shipped plus all-new 3D glasses, I would be out another $500-$600 on top of what I paid for the 1070. I would rather hold off, and just use this until I can get a proper 4k/3D in a couple years. I know BenQ is coming out with a 4k/3D for just $1500. I might pick it up refurbished next year and sell this one. Either way, this is my first projector and only a fill in to get my hands dirty. Once I feel it's time, I'll upgrade. I think I'll be satisfied with this one due to the amazing price. lol
I doubt you will see any significant improvement in the HT2050 unless your HT1070 was defective. You may not be a candidate for front projection if you like a bright vivid picture as no projector can match a flat screen TV unless possibly in a bat cave/completely blacked out room. What screen are you using and how close to the screen/wall are any white surfaces?

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #12 of 13 Old 03-28-2018, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 81
try to demo an Xgimi H1, i think it's in that price range.

XGimi CC, XGimi Z6, UKCSIS, Vmai M200 Pico
Xbox One S, LG SH4
post #13 of 13 Old 03-28-2018, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1466 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Quote:
I might be overthinking it or expecting too much vs an LED tv. I'm using a standard white mustang 92" manual pull down.

Also, noticed when I clicked into the 3050 page, it is actually 737.
With a screen that small, and the projector in SmartECO lamp with Brilliant Color turned on you shave have brightness close to an LED TV. What you may be missing is the shadow details that only much more expensive projectors can provide. Rather than playing with Contrast and Brightness controls, you should calibrate them just once using a good set of test patterns. Either the Disney WOW bluray or youtube has the "AVS Rec 709" test loop. Then .. when you are bugged by not seeing details in certain content, use the Gamma setting -- for bright content, 2.2 works fine, but for dark content you will see more detail way down at 1.8.

You may even find that a dark grey screen will help black levels at that small 92" size.

BTW, if you find the HT2050 is MUCH better than the HT1070, that likely means the HT1070 was bad.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page