Help me decide between BenQ TH671ST and BenQ W1210ST (HT2150ST) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Razon
  • 1 Post By sage11x

post #1 of 11 Old 04-02-2018, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Help me decide between BenQ TH671ST and BenQ W1210ST (HT2150ST)

Trying to buy my first ever projector, usage will mainly be movies, TV shows and some gaming, aiming for 90-110 inch screen from 5-7 feet. My room is small with grey walls (willing to get a screen if the wall doesn't work out), i can control the light fairly well, but not always (morning is an issue, but that only counts on weekends)

TH671ST

pros:

+cheaper (700€), higher brightness, 7000-10000 hour lamp life

cons:

-2x RGBCYM color wheel, maybe rainbow effects?

W1210ST/HT2150ST:

pros:

+6x RGBRGB, supposedly better picture quality in a completely dark room

cons:

-higher price (900€), lower brightness, shorter lamp life (4000-6000 hours)

Seeing as this is my first projector, will I be bothered with the shortcomings of the cheaper projector? Or should I get it and upgrade my sound system/get a better screen with the money I saved?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-02-2018, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked: 2664

This is a case where the forum search function would have served you well. this question has been asked a few times.

I actually reviewed the TH671ST here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-dig...topics/2944696

Also, check out secrets as they reviewed both the 671 and the 2150:

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...jector-review/
https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...jector-review/

I would say this comes down to ambient light. If you cannot fully control light in your room (ie you’re not going to be using this in a dedicated theater/media room) I would probably lean towards the TH671ST. Especially if you’re considering projecting onto a gray wall where you’ll want the extra muscle. The HT2150ST is a fantastic projector and will give you a better image with greater contrast in a fully dark room but the 671 is a lot more flexible thanks to it’s lumen output and has surprisingly excellent color accuracy for a non-RGBRGB projector. Typically, Bright DLPs like the 671 make a lot of compromises to squeeze out those extra lumens but this is not the case with the 671.

As for RBE, the 671 is the first bright DLP I’ve used with an RGBCYM color wheel (most use an RGBCY or RGBW) and rainbows weren’t an issue in my testing— though your mileage may vary. What I would say is the 671 is easily the best performing bright DLP in this regard.

The HT2150 performs very similarly to the HT2050/2050A (which I have used/tested). In fully dark room the HT2150 will have an advantage owing to an increase in contrast and color saturation. But while the 2150 has plenty of lumens for a dim to dark room it won’t compete with ambient light nearly as well as the 671. So you essentially sacrifice ambient light flexibility for improved dark room performance.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Last edited by sage11x; 04-02-2018 at 07:42 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-02-2018, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
This is a case where the forum search function would have served you well. this question has been asked a few times.

I actually reviewed the TH671ST here:
Ah, damm, I only used google search and found your review thread, no direct comparison to the 2150.

Thanks for all the information, I'll probably go with the 671 then.
What 3D glasses do you recommend? Does it matter a lot? I won't be using 3D often, but sometimes it would be nice to play around with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-02-2018, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razon View Post
Ah, damm, I only used google search and found your review thread, no direct comparison to the 2150.

Thanks for all the information, I'll probably go with the 671 then.
What 3D glasses do you recommend? Does it matter a lot? I won't be using 3D often, but sometimes it would be nice to play around with it.
Any DLP link glasses will work fine. I really like 3D on DLP but, if I'm honest, I don't watch 3D that often. So then, for me, I bought the cheapest button cell glasses I could find on Amazon. They work great but if I used the feature more often I would definitely recommend buying some higher quality glasses-- something with a larger lens area and preferably something with better bridge support and rechargeable batteries. Do a search here for DLP link and there is a thread where various brands are discussed and some solid recommendations are made from forum members who have a lot of experience. And if you end up with a TH671ST come join the review/owners thread I linked you to!

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #5 of 11 Old 04-02-2018, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Any DLP link glasses will work fine. I really like 3D on DLP but, if I'm honest, I don't watch 3D that often. So then, for me, I bought the cheapest button cell glasses I could find on Amazon. They work great but if I used the feature more often I would definitely recommend buying some higher quality glasses-- something with a larger lens area and preferably something with better bridge support and rechargeable batteries. Do a search here for DLP link and there is a thread where various brands are discussed and some solid recommendations are made from forum members who have a lot of experience. And if you end up with a TH671ST come join the review/owners thread I linked you to!
Thanks, will do! I'm sure I'm going to have some questions since it's my first projector, but I'll remember to use the search first.

Probably going to order the 671 tomorrow. After that, the ceiling mount experimentation begins (I have a really small room)
sage11x likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-02-2018, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The TH671ST is remarkably small and light. You shouldn't need much of a mount to handle it-- I recently mounted a similar projector for someone and we used a $15 QualGear mount. Honestly it worked great and I'd recommend the brand. Just keep in mind the 671 does not have lens shift so if you want to adjust the vertical position of the projector you might want to consider a mount with some height adjustment. I use BenQ's OEM mount myself but it's quite a bit more expensive and I found it more difficult to level vs the QualGear.

PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited by sage11x; 04-02-2018 at 11:02 AM.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-02-2018, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The TH671ST is remarkably small and light. You shouldn't need much of a mount to handle it-- I recently mounted a similar projector for someone and we used a $15 QualGear mount. Honestly it worked great and I'd recommend the brand. Just keep in mind the 671 does not have lens shift so if you want to adjust the vertical position of the projector you might want to consider a mount with some height adjustment. I use BenQ's OEM mount myself but it's quite a bit more expensive and I found it more difficult to level vs the QualGear.

PM me if you have any questions.
Yeah I was thinking about a height adjustable mount, because I'm planning to have the top of the screen around 50cm down from the ceiling, so I need a suitable mount, maybe 30-40cm, tilt the projector a little and fix it with keystone adjustment. How many degrees can I tilt it so keystone doesn't noticeable degrade quality? Is around 10 degrees OK? Or is it "the less, the better"?
post #8 of 11 Old 04-02-2018, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razon View Post
Yeah I was thinking about a height adjustable mount, because I'm planning to have the top of the screen around 50cm down from the ceiling, so I need a suitable mount, maybe 30-40cm, tilt the projector a little and fix it with keystone adjustment. How many degrees can I tilt it so keystone doesn't noticeable degrade quality? Is around 10 degrees OK? Or is it "the less, the better"?

50cm isn’t too bad. And keep in mind you have to factor in offset. According to the chart in the manual (posted below) you’re going to have about 3.4 cm of drop when targeting a 110” screen so that means the you have another 4cm to work with on your Mount. You should be able to find a mount with that much extension, no problem. The BenQ CM00G3 Mount will extend past that range easily.

I don’t like to use keystone. If you have to use the feature it isn’t the end of the world and small amounts of keystone are very tough to spot without a test pattern but I would still make every effort to avoid it. I like to have my screen very low to the ground. My current 100” is so low I can barely squeeze my center channel under it. I still have not needed to resort to keystone. You shouldn’t have any problems getting that projector square with your proposed screen height.
Razon likes this.

post #9 of 11 Old 06-23-2019, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
The HT2150 performs very similarly to the HT2050/2050A (which I have used/tested).
I am trying to figure out if the extra lumens of the TH671ST are available in its 3D mode. One review says its lumen output in 3D is similar to its cinema mode. Projector central review has cinema mode at 950 lumens for the 671ST but for the 2150ST cinema mode is brighter at 1217 lumens. This makes me wonder if the 3D mode of the 2150ST would be brighter for 3D.

Do you have any thoughts on which would be brighter for 3D (TH671ST or 2150ST)?

EDIT: I was able to measure both projectors. The 671ST measured 23% brighter in 3D Mode over the 2150ST. There is no dispute the 2D image of the 2150 is superior with better contrast and color saturation. However since I want a 1080p projector for the sole purpose of 3D playback brightness is king. Thankfully I am not sensitive to RBE either.

Thanks

Last edited by fingersdlp; 06-26-2019 at 07:00 AM.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-16-2019, 02:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Longer Lamp life & Higher Brightness vs Faster Color Wheel but Lower Brightness

I am looking to balance quality of viewing experience with value for money. The th671st has a longer lamp life and higher lumens but a slower color wheel compared to the w1210st (ht2050st in the US) and it is also $80 cheaper than the latter. I was going to order, until I read [QUOTE=sage11x;55960620] concern about the color wheel.

Does the slower color wheel in the 671st greatly reduce the viewing experience when compared to the 1210st or is the difference negligible?

Also, I have a fairly dark room, in that case isn't a lower brightness recommended as being less straining for the eyes?

Has anyone done a side by side comparison of the 2 models? And which one out of the two do you recommend?
post #11 of 11 Old 07-16-2019, 02:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
looking for suggestions.

[quote=KAran Aggarwal;58301550]I am looking to balance quality of viewing experience with value for money. The th671st has a longer lamp life and higher lumens but a slower color wheel compared to the w1210st (ht2050st in the US) and it is also $80 cheaper than the latter. I was going to order, until I read
Quote:
concern about the color wheel.

Does the slower color wheel in the 671st greatly reduce the viewing experience when compared to the 1210st or is the difference negligible?

Also, I have a fairly dark room, in that case isn't a lower brightness recommended as being less straining for the eyes?

Has anyone done a side by side comparison of the 2 models? And which one out of the two do you recommend?
@sage11x - any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page