JVC LX-UH1 New 4K projector - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 688Likes

post #601 of 662 Old 08-17-2018, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
settings icon-> subtitles->autotranslate->language selection

The settings icon is where you'd find the resolution settings.
My gods, the auto-translate is hard to follow. German -> English is something they need to work on, badly. That was a bunch of gibberish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 662 Old 08-17-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
A second opinion...

The video review compares the UHD65 with the HC5050UB:
The Epson 9300 is actually the 6040, isn't it? The 5050 is the 2018 refresh coming out in CEDIA, with full 18 gbps inputs. Not that it likely matters for image quality if they use the exact same tech otherwise, but still.
post #603 of 662 Old 08-17-2018, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 793 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAxeVR View Post
The Epson 9300 is actually the 6040, isn't it? The 5050 is the 2018 refresh coming out in CEDIA, with full 18 gbps inputs. Not that it likely matters for image quality if they use the exact same tech otherwise, but still.
Yes, HC5040/6040.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 662 Old 08-17-2018, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 205 Post(s)
Quoted: 2808 Post(s)
Liked: 2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
Thanks. It does not have to be in this price range. Can go somewhat higher... I was aware of the Epsons, however, I want a DLP. My understanding is that the Benq has shift, but not lens memory. Is that correct? With all of the competing 4K DLPs out there, you would think tat one of them would offer this fearure
Any rumors about it being included in a "next gen" offering?

Correct. The BenQ HT8050/HT9050 lack lens memory because they also lack a motorized lens.

Honestly, I'm really not sure why the majority of DLPs lack these features. You could argue that it is because DLP is typically offered at the more affordable end of the price spectrum but that argument starts to get pretty thin as the price increases much beyond the $2k mark.

I don't know of any 4K DLP projectors on the horizon that will offer lens memory or even significant amounts of lens shift. I think you'll start to see more models with an iris as the iris helps significantly with contrast-- which is arguably the biggest area for improvement with DLP especially when they start to play at the price points that LCoS and the "ultra black" 3LCDs do.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #605 of 662 Old 08-17-2018, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My gods, the auto-translate is hard to follow. German -> English is something they need to work on, badly. That was a bunch of gibberish.

Yeah, I couldn’t follow. Made it a few minutes and then gave up.

Does anyone know why there are ZERO North American reviews for this thing outside of the lone TVS comparison?

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #606 of 662 Old 08-17-2018, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Yeah, I couldn’t follow. Made it a few minutes and then gave up.

Does anyone know why there are ZERO North American reviews for this thing outside of the lone TVS comparison?
I had no particular problems. IIRC, the first 1/2 of the video mainly discussed the physical differences between the projectors, and it's the discussion of the differences in IQ that were my main interest.

The comparison of IQ actually begins just after 11:00.

To summarize:

Colour performance and gamut:
UHD65 and HC5040 were virtually tied unless the Epson engages the cinema filter, but the filter produces an unacceptable reduction in brightness, which means that screen size must be reduced.

Resolution:

A unequivocal win for the UHD65.

Contrast:
The Epson has a slight edge in some scenes but overall it was a tie due to the excellent dynamic lamp dimming on the UHD65

Brightness

Here the Epson pulls ahead because of the high light output and acceptable colour in Dynamic mode. Brightness in cinema mode was similar for each but engaging the digital cinema filter to widen the colour gamut dramatically reduced brightness in the HC5040. This is somewhat mitigated by the lower noise of the UHD65 in Dynamic Black (smarteco) and high power modes.

Motion handling:
A clear win for the UHD65's DLP system.

Lamp life favours the UHD65 by a wide margin when used in Dynamic Black mode.
sage11x likes this.

Last edited by DunMunro; 08-17-2018 at 12:07 PM.
post #607 of 662 Old 08-17-2018, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Thanks. It does not have to be in this price range. Can go somewhat higher... I was aware of the Epsons, however, I want a DLP. My understanding is that the Benq has shift, but not lens memory. Is that correct? With all of the competing 4K DLPs out there, you would think tat one of them would offer this fearure
Any rumors about it being included in a "next gen" offering?
Commercially speaking, JVC should not include it in any of their DLP offering.
You need lens memory? Go higher up in the JVC range.

That's what I would do.

Including lens memory wouldn't have increased the price too much I would think...

Kelvin
post #608 of 662 Old 08-17-2018, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3831 Post(s)
Liked: 3030
The only DLP projectors I'm aware of that are currently being produced with lens memory are a few expensive models that are mostly designed as large venue business models and not really optimized for home theater. You have to move up to one of the >$10,000 Christie models to find a native 1080p DLP model with lens memory. So it appears that the DLP projector companies have handed over the mainstream home theater market for lens memory to LCoS and 3LCD brands.
post #609 of 662 Old 08-17-2018, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

All 3 of my projectors are ceiling mounted and after several years of use, I have yet to find a reason to change the image size, placement, or even the focus (after some initial trial and error). Maybe if I had motorized screen curtains I might find a use for powered lens controls and memory, but given my current setups, I would never use it.
post #610 of 662 Old 08-17-2018, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
All 3 of my projectors are ceiling mounted and after several years of use, I have yet to find a reason to change the image size, placement, or even the focus (after some initial trial and error). Maybe if I had motorized screen curtains I might find a use for powered lens controls and memory, but given my current setups, I would never use it.
The biggest advantage, at least to me, to want lens memory would be to run a 2.35:1 screen without having to deal with an A lens.

But then the issue with that is it really takes away from films that use both aspect ratios for material filmed in IMAX and, in particular, it takes away from features that were filmed in 16:9 like Planet Earth II, Blue Planet II, etc.

post #611 of 662 Old 08-17-2018, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The biggest advantage, at least to me, to want lens memory would be to run a 2.35:1 screen without having to deal with an A lens.

But then the issue with that is it really takes away from films that use both aspect ratios for material filmed in IMAX and, in particular, it takes away from features that were filmed in 16:9 like Planet Earth II, Blue Planet II, etc.
Also older 4-3 format films will be really tiny on a 2:35-1 screen. I love watching older films (and TV episodes such as Star Trek and STNG) and I find that WUXGA (16-10) format is ideal for these.

My PJs are already setup for maximum possible screen width.
sage11x likes this.
post #612 of 662 Old 08-17-2018, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Powered lenses are primarily for hardcore advocates of CIH. The relative amount of interest in CIH can be gauged by looking at the light traffic in the 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat section of AVS Forum. Since they represent such a small minority of home projector users it's really no surprise that powered lenses are not a common feature. It adds cost but no real value for the majority of projector users.
sage11x likes this.
post #613 of 662 Old 08-17-2018, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofery View Post
Commercially speaking, JVC should not include it in any of their DLP offering.
You need lens memory? Go higher up in the JVC range.

That's what I would do.

Including lens memory wouldn't have increased the price too much I would think...

Kelvin
I am a DLP guy from way back. We have an unusual set up with two electric drop screens (16 x 9 and scope). Thanks Craig! Lens memory is important to me. I get it that it is little benifit to many.
Our Sharp Z30K (circa 2012) has powered lens controls and lens memory. It's MSRP was about $5K.
I keep hoping that Benq (or now perhaps JVC) or one of the other DLP makers will step up and offer a more full featured 4K PJ (read lens memory).
I agree that it feels like DLP has surrendered the middle/high ground 4K market to LCOS/LCD...Sad
sage11x likes this.
post #614 of 662 Old 08-17-2018, 08:54 PM
MJ1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Upcoming Optoma 4K LED suppose to have motorized zoom/focus but no lens memory. Not sure when it's being released though. Maybe by year end.
post #615 of 662 Old 08-18-2018, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am a DLP guy from way back. We have an unusual set up with two electric drop screens (16 x 9 and scope). Thanks Craig! Lens memory is important to me. I get it that it is little benifit to many.
Our Sharp Z30K (circa 2012) has powered lens controls and lens memory. It's MSRP was about $5K.
I keep hoping that Benq (or now perhaps JVC) or one of the other DLP makers will step up and offer a more full featured 4K PJ (read lens memory).
I agree that it feels like DLP has surrendered the middle/high ground 4K market to LCOS/LCD...Sad
I hear you. I'm a big fan of 'pulse' type displays (as opposed to sample and hold type displays). I pretty much skipped straight from plasma to DLP and a lot of people seem to think that odd as plasma was most known for it's excellent contrast/blacks. DLP is known for many things but excellent blacks is not among them. A lot of other plasma fans went to LCoS as that more closely replicates the contrast advantage that plasma had over the competition at the time. For me, I found the 'crispness' and clarity of single chip DLP to be far closer to what I was used to with plasma. Motion just looks better on DLP and I found, despite it's lackluster blacks levels, that that really appealed to me.

Keep in mind-- I don't own an LCD TV and the only one I ever did I gave away so I might not be the typical consumer.

Obviously there is a price component as LCoS starts at $2000 and heads north quickly from there whereas DLP (pre-4K) was pretty much confined to the $1500 and less price range when I bought my BenQ a few years back. That said, my last 55" plasma purchase was close to $2000 so I'm not necessarily afraid to spend money on a display if I'll get enjoyment out of it (although maybe I should be).
There were other factors as well. My home theater space was previously a small basement room and, after we moved, my 'theater' is now the living room of my 1000 sq ft apartment. The 'advantage' of the smaller size and shorter throw of the typical DLP might be a laughing matter for a few forum members on this thread but it did play a part in my decision when I purchased my projector. Sorry, not sorry. We're shopping for a house and maybe once we find a place I won't care anymore about how large the chassis or how far the throw is but for now the more compact size of the typical DLP is an advantage for me when it comes to fitting a projector into my space.

4K seems to have given DLP a shot in the arm and I'm hoping that we continue to see improvement with each subsequent generation. I really love the HT2550 that I'm using now but obviously there are room for improvements. Chief among them is contrast but also smoother 24fps motion (these .47 DMDs exhibit a fair amount of judder in certain material).

post #616 of 662 Old 08-19-2018, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1 View Post
Upcoming Optoma 4K LED suppose to have motorized zoom/focus but no lens memory. Not sure when it's being released though. Maybe by year end.
Thanks.
Powered lens controls are a huge addition (for us). From there it's a small step to lens memory
WynsWrld98 likes this.
post #617 of 662 Old 08-19-2018, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I hadn’t heard about this one. Is this a ‘traditional’ LED model (pico projector with lower lumens ala LG, Xgimi) or a colorspark model (ala BenQ HT9050)? If it’s the latter does it use the .47 or .66 DMD? I’m assuming it will be sliding in below the UHZ65’s price?

I haven’t heard of too many new projectors with the .66 DMD. The Acer 7860 was the last ‘new’ model I saw released. It seems almost everything in the pipe has the smaller .47 DMD. I’d like to see some more options with the .66 DMD especially if they could target that midrange price point ($1500-$2500).

post #618 of 662 Old 08-19-2018, 10:56 AM
MJ1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 33
This one is the colorspark model using .66" chip, similar to benq HT9050. There is no word on its release date, one of the Optoma rep on avs here confirmed its development using the same chassis as 4k500. Looks like Benq HT9060 ( updated version of HT9050) is going to be out first.
post #619 of 662 Old 08-19-2018, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This one is the colorspark model using .66" chip, similar to benq HT9050. There is no word on its release date, one of the Optoma rep on avs here confirmed its development using the same chassis as 4k500. Looks like Benq HT9060 ( updated version of HT9050) is going to be out first.

Gotcha. Sounds like it might actually retail for more than the UHZ65.

Looks like the .66 DMDs are moving up market. That’s too bad. Not that the .47 DMD is a bad alternative but I was hoping that the .47 would continue to get cheaper while the .66 filled in the middle.

post #620 of 662 Old 08-19-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
4K seems to have given DLP a shot in the arm and I'm hoping that we continue to see improvement with each subsequent generation. I really love the HT2550 that I'm using now but obviously there are room for improvements. Chief among them is contrast but also smoother 24fps motion (these .47 DMDs exhibit a fair amount of judder in certain material).
At some point I'm going to pick up an HT2550 at BestBuy and use a Samsung S9 to record it at 960 fps (slow motion mode) to get to the bottom of what these shifters are actually doing at various refresh rates. I'll post the clips to youtube once I do.

If you're seeing actual judder then it's probably the projector is just operating in 3:2 pulldown and thus at 60hz / 240hz always. Although, for 50hz inputs, I know the XPR shifters can switch between 50 / 60hz (round trip, i.e. all four sub-frames), so at 4K 50hz input it means the projector is operating at 200hz instead of 240hz. I wonder in this case, with 24hz content, why they don't just lower the frequency slightly from 50hz down to 48hz and use 2:2 pulldown instead. I suspect if 50hz does indeed operate in 1:1 that you would notice far less judder that way with 24hz content, than with 50hz. The annoying thing about this is, if any of these 4K XPR projectors supported native 48hz input mode, you could pass HDR10 in YUV 4:4:4 over HDMI 2.0a, and get not only full chroma res for PC use but perfect cadence for 24p movies too. Shame, that. Are any of you guys listening, JVC, BenQ, TI, Acer, Optoma? This is basic engineering. I know it's easy to add 48hz custom resolution mode in RGB on Windows or in NVidia control panel but YUV 10-bit doesn't work (AFAIK). Might be worth a try.

If anyone who owns one of these projectors uses it from their PC, that would be something to check into. I'll certainly do it myself when I get around to testing these XPR shifters.
post #621 of 662 Old 08-19-2018, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I hadn’t heard about this one. ...

avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/2951906-optoma-4k-3000-lumen-hld-led-prototype-ces-2018-a.html
sage11x likes this.
post #622 of 662 Old 08-19-2018, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
At some point I'm going to pick up an HT2550 at BestBuy and use a Samsung S9 to record it at 960 fps (slow motion mode) to get to the bottom of what these shifters are actually doing at various refresh rates. I'll post the clips to youtube once I do.

If you're seeing actual judder then it's probably the projector is just operating in 3:2 pulldown and thus at 60hz / 240hz always. Although, for 50hz inputs, I know the XPR shifters can switch between 50 / 60hz (round trip, i.e. all four sub-frames), so at 4K 50hz input it means the projector is operating at 200hz instead of 240hz. I wonder in this case, with 24hz content, why they don't just lower the frequency slightly from 50hz down to 48hz and use 2:2 pulldown instead. I suspect if 50hz does indeed operate in 1:1 that you would notice far less judder that way with 24hz content, than with 50hz. The annoying thing about this is, if any of these 4K XPR projectors supported native 48hz input mode, you could pass HDR10 in YUV 4:4:4 over HDMI 2.0a, and get not only full chroma res for PC use but perfect cadence for 24p movies too. Shame, that. Are any of you guys listening, JVC, BenQ, TI, Acer, Optoma? This is basic engineering. I know it's easy to add 48hz custom resolution mode in RGB on Windows or in NVidia control panel but YUV 10-bit doesn't work (AFAIK). Might be worth a try.

If anyone who owns one of these projectors uses it from their PC, that would be something to check into. I'll certainly do it myself when I get around to testing these XPR shifters.

I confess: I’m not sure. I never felt the judder was as much of an issue as Kraine did as I just switched my X800 to 60Hz output. At 60 with the Sony performing the pulldown the motion looks great and is free from judder. I’m used to a 3:2 pulldown as all of my Panasonic plasmas basically required it as 24Hz introduced flicker.

Of course, video games look great as well.

I’m really impressed with the HT2550. The new firmware really stepped up it’s performance.

post #623 of 662 Old 08-27-2018, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Am I missing something, I did a quick google search and can’t seem to find any reviews on the JVC LX-UH1, surely someone has tested it?

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #624 of 662 Old 08-27-2018, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
Am I missing something, I did a quick google search and can’t seem to find any reviews on the JVC LX-UH1, surely someone has tested it?
Here's two from France:

http://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blog...lavis-de-greg/

https://homecinema-tendances.eu/test-jvc-lx-uh1/

and from a vendor:

https://www.tvspecialists.com/blog-index/
post #625 of 662 Old 08-27-2018, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post

No you’re not missing anything. The only US review I’ve seen is the one DunMunro linked to for TVSPro. For whatever reason JVC just isn’t pushing this model to outlets stateside.

post #626 of 662 Old 08-29-2018, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

And another review:

https://www.hifitest.de/test/beamer/jvc-lx-uh1_16243

this time from Germany
sage11x and Jmander11 like this.
post #627 of 662 Old 09-05-2018, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 25
This JVC meets my need for set upflexibility but am concerned by this “light frame”.
I run a Seymour 8 ft wide Scope screen which has a 3 inch black boarder.
However right below it I have mounted my centre speaker.
I don’t what to watch a movie with this speaker lit up!!
Would be somewhat distracting.

So can some kind person advise the exact width of this light frame.
Does it vary on focal length of the lens or is a fixed width?
Cheers.
post #628 of 662 Old 09-05-2018, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Those who think lens shift/memory is a pretty esoteric/unneeded feature need to see it in action and watch 2.4:1 and 16:9 programming with someone who has one. Once you go CIH there is NO going back, it is so awesome.
post #629 of 662 Old 09-05-2018, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post
Those who think lens shift/memory is a pretty esoteric/unneeded feature need to see it in action and watch 2.4:1 and 16:9 programming with someone who has one. Once you go CIH there is NO going back, it is so awesome.
Agree totally, its awesome.
I manually do the zoom/shift and got used to it and do it pretty quickly, from watching tv shows to scope movies, can do it in 10seconds.
However i want a powered memory lens for my next one so i dont have to get up lol.

The only problem is finding a projector that has enough zoom capability that can go from one to another at my distance of 14.9'
post #630 of 662 Old 09-06-2018, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

I considered this for awhile way back when Panasonic was still selling projectors. I guess my question is this: what do you do when you have imax or 70mm material that you want to display in a larger format? While I admit having a larger 2.35 screen would be nice I think I would miss watching nature documentaries like PE2 and BP2 as well as all of the imax scenes in the big theatrical releases in that larger, more immersive size. I almost feel like CIW makes more sense for today’s content.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
dlp , epson 5040ub , Jvc , jvc dlp , lx-uh1 , optoma uhd65 , uhd 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page