Would My Space Work for a Projector? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #31 of 41 Old 04-10-2018, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1509 Post(s)
Liked: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtaylorsmith View Post
Hats off to you if you want to project your image up super high, but one main goal of a projector for me will be to have the middle of the image at eye-level as I'm sitting down. Front row at a movie theatre sounds like torture.

I've taped off the dimensions of a 100" screen on the wall (helped with green markup) with the middle of the screen at the middle of the current TV, and it looks like the ideal position. Most of the entry level PJs I'm looking at have a 5-8" vertical offset, so the ceiling mount with the top of the screen being 12" from the ceiling seems doable.

Thanks for this recommendation, Dun! Looks like that HC2040 is listed on costco.ca, so I'm going to see if they have any in-store. Could use Costco's generous return policy for a "test run" during NHL playoffs.

My other reservation with a projector set-up is fan noise. Looks like my ears will be about 4 feet away from the projector. With these entry level models, is fan noise really that big of an issue? Louder than the average fridge? I see the Optoma HD29Darbee is touted for low fan noise, $150 cheaper at Costco, but it's back to a DLP model... I'm a researcher at heart so, I probably have a few weeks of deliberation before taking the plunge!
Epson Canada's refurb centre is selling the HC2040 for $520cdn.

Most DLP PJs will have a downward throw when the PJ is ceiling mounted. However this is not true for most Epson PJs that don't have a mechanical lens shift. They have a negative throw which is slightly upwards when ceiling mounted. This means that the PJ must be mounted a few inches below the top edge of the screen.

To get a 100in image from an Epson 2040, with the top edge of the image 1ft from the ceiling the top of the PJ has to be mounted 15in below the ceiling:

Quote:
Result
Screen size 100 "
Screen width 7' 3.2" [Ft/in]
Screen height 4' 1" [Ft/in]
Throw distance (L) 8' 11.2" - 10' 8.9" [Ft/in]
Distance from ceiling (H) 1' 2.9" [Ft/in]
https://files.support.epson.com/pdc/...ml5/index.html
somewhere between ~9ft to ~11ft from the screen. This puts the bottom edge of the PJ only 70in (5ft 10in) from the floor.

I mounted our HC2030 PJ on a short ceiling mount to give maximum clearance below it which also places the image just below the ceiling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 04-11-2018, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAxeVR View Post
I wouldn't immediately get an LCD projector because you "might" see rainbows, only a percentage of people are sensitive to that. Buy a DLP from a place that has easy return policy. DLPs are awesome, the image just "pops" due to the ANSI contrast. And most low end LCDs have poor black levels, worse than DLP.

If you want something much better you're going to have to increase your budget to nearly 2 grand (Sony 45 es). Otherwise, yes get LCD if you find out you are RBE sensitive. You can probably check out a DLP at a home theater store somewhere.

I agree about the comments re: nose bleed section of the theater. Don't put a screen above the plasma, it'll be too high, instead take the plasma down and use the projector 100% of the time. I did that and six months later sold my plasma because I never used it. Or keep it as a spare. Got 400 bucks for mine. So I got an upgrade from 46 inches to 140 inches for 400 bucks.

One last thing, get as big a screen as you can fit back there, and put it as low as possible. You can move the speakers to the sides a bit which should increase your screen size without obstructing your view. Good luck. Make sure to use an online projector calculator to figure out if you can even get the image where you want it based on your ceiling height.
You would be amazed at how fast 3000hrs goes by when you use your projector full-time, which is roughly the life expectancy of bulbs in the newer PJ. I hide my 58" plasma, behind my screen,for everyday use.
post #33 of 41 Old 04-11-2018, 10:04 AM

I'm gonna throw this out there' I'm sure many will disagree, but consider I came to my conclusions over 10 years of trial and error. I wish I could bring you to my house and show you the difference ,my eyes center or higher in seated position theory. I would show you the flying scene from Avatar (I suggest anybody try this theory) The difference is watching the movie and being apart of the action, just by bringing the picture down a few inches 3D or know the difference is surprisingly overwhelming. The best way to test this is not with a videophile, but with normal people whos' eyes would just glaze over when you try and describe what there looking at, as most the people I watch movies with are. 3d or know, you can watch 4 out 5 people lean and duck, thats fun man. Just putting it out there.

Last edited by igetittera; 04-11-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 41 Old 04-11-2018, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1721 Post(s)
Liked: 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtaylorsmith View Post
...Looks like that HC2040 is listed on costco.ca, so I'm going to see if they have any in-store. Could use Costco's generous return policy for a "test run" during NHL playoffs.

My other reservation with a projector set-up is fan noise. Looks like my ears will be about 4 feet away from the projector. With these entry level models, is fan noise really that big of an issue? Louder than the average fridge? I see the Optoma HD29Darbee is touted for low fan noise, $150 cheaper at Costco, but it's back to a DLP model... I'm a researcher at heart so, I probably have a few weeks of deliberation before taking the plunge!
Why get the Epson at all? We all know that DLP delivers a better image at this price point. Optoma does NOT have a 4x-6x color wheel to reduce rainbows so that's not the direction to go. The BenQ (or Viewsonic) listed previously deliver the most RBE-free experience with the best image possible at this price point.

The Epsons are good, but don't measure up. You also have a huge height issue in that room because of the very strange negative offset that Epson uses. It's fine for back walls, but lousy for mid-room use like you have, which almost rules it out (IMO). You would have to go up to a better Epson with some lens shift, then ensure it fits the space.

I would start with the HT2050A from a place with a decent return policy (or the Viewsonic if avaialble), and if RBE is a real issue, then I would look into the LCD barrel.
iamtaylorsmith likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #35 of 41 Old 04-11-2018, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by igetittera View Post
You would be amazed at how fast 3000hrs goes by when you use your projector full-time, which is roughly the life expectancy of bulbs in the newer PJ. I hide my 58" plasma, behind my screen,for everyday use.
I'm on my third bulb since 2012 and watch my projector roughly 4 hours a day. Every day. Bulbs cost 80 bucks from China, work great. The problem is? None.

The main reason I want laser is for higher nits for HDR, WCG and better 3D. Unfortunately many low end blue laser + phosphor projectors still only deliver Rec 709.
post #36 of 41 Old 04-11-2018, 08:27 PM

[QUOTE=BattleAxeVR;56019516]I'm on my third bulb since 2012 and watch my projector roughly 4 hours a day. Every day. Bulbs cost 80 bucks from China, work great. The problem is? None.

The main reason I want laser is for higher nits for HDR, WCG and better 3D. Unfortunately many low end blue laser + phosphor projectors still only deliver Rec 709.[/QUOTE

only 4hrs, so your not a gamer, or watch a lot of sports, I take it. I can't think of a PJ made back then that gave you mor than 1500hrs lamp life on thx cinema or eco mode. And was really losing its pop at hour 1000-1100. Half that if you really play games or animated movies on Dynamic or living room. My point being, why would you waste PJ life to watch the evening news, cheap or not.. To each his own . China bulbs, you never know what you getting, I've had 2 bad exp.s with that

Last edited by igetittera; 04-11-2018 at 08:32 PM.
post #37 of 41 Old 04-12-2018, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked: 1331
Quote:
My screen starts 19" from the floor, my proj. is on the ceiling 9.5" away, MVP is 9' from the 100"screen, who is moving around in front of the screen while your viewing it, in such a small room. There is absolutely no way of getting around your ceiling hieght and people in the way period.Get the big 1080 TV
Someone once asked me if it bothered me seeing peoples shadows on the screen when they stood up. I told them its about the same as looking at their back when they are standing in front of the TV.

My room is 9’x11’ and we enjoy a 110” image projected to the long wall 8’ eyes to screen. Other than the room needs some light control the image is no different than a 110” big 1080 TV.

Bud
post #38 of 41 Old 04-17-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
Someone once asked me if it bothered me seeing peoples shadows on the screen when they stood up. I told them its about the same as looking at their back when they are standing in front of the TV.

My room is 9’x11’ and we enjoy a 110” image projected to the long wall 8’ eyes to screen. Other than the room needs some light control the image is no different than a 110” big 1080 TV.
Sorry there is not a PJ in the under 3k category capable of being "no different" from a large 1080 tv. I own an Epson 5020 and as good as the picture is, there's a difference.  
post #39 of 41 Old 04-17-2018, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked: 1331
Quote:
Sorry there is not a PJ in the under 3k category capable of being "no different" from a large 1080 tv. I own an Epson 5020 and as good as the picture is, there's a difference.  
Comparing apples to oranges always requires some hyperbole.

Even in your statement I could say, “Sorry even in projectors over 3k category there is no projector that could compare to a 1080 TV.”

Of course there are differences there are huge differences between one 1080 TV to the next even.

The statement I made is what I often hear from first time viewers to my viewing room they are not my word but their words as inaccurate as they may be. I also often hear it is so clear without the reflection off the glass that’s on a TV. Even this monitor I’m typing this on as good as it is I know it is a sheet of something the image is constructed on. Proper front projection done right is the only display type that I know of that allows the brain to conceive the screen as an open window. Again I haven’t viewed every type of display there is and I have seen a lot of really poorly done FP systems as well.

I stand corrected I should have said “In some ways it looks better than a 110” big 1080 TV

Bud
post #40 of 41 Old 04-17-2018, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 137
go at least 110" in your room
post #41 of 41 Old 04-19-2018, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter