Would My Space Work for a Projector? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 04-08-2018, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Would My Space Work for a Projector?

Looking to upgrade from my 50" Plasma, and thinking about an entry level projector for a ~100" screen.

Currently sit about 10 feet away from TV, and would mount the projector between the speakers on the back wall (3rd pic).

This is a basement with very little ambient light, mostly used for movies, gaming, and sports (hockey).

How would you set up a projector in this space?





iamtaylorsmith is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 41 Old 04-08-2018, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bud16415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Erie Pa
Posts: 8,541
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked: 1336
I would say you have a great room for a projector setup. If you want to work with the room colors walls and ceiling you could have a great room.

You can get great 1080p home theater projectors now new for 500 bucks. No reason not to give it a try.

Bud
bud16415 is online now  
post #3 of 41 Old 04-08-2018, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 2,707
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1522 Post(s)
Liked: 812
How big is the white panel above the TV? I'd aim at using the area covered by that panel for my projection screen. What is the distance from the back (speaker) wall to the wall where the TV is mounted?
DunMunro is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 41 Old 04-09-2018, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
I would say you have a great room for a projector setup. If you want to work with the room colors walls and ceiling you could have a great room.

You can get great 1080p home theater projectors now new for 500 bucks. No reason not to give it a try.
Thanks for the reply! I would probably look for some black ceiling tiles from projector to screen, and definitely would plan on buying a fixed screen (any recommendations for a 100" screen?). What changes would you make to the room/wall colours?
iamtaylorsmith is offline  
post #5 of 41 Old 04-09-2018, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
How big is the white panel above the TV? I'd aim at using the area covered by that panel for my projection screen. What is the distance from the back (speaker) wall to the wall where the TV is mounted?
The white panel above the tv is 42"x94", but I think it's way too high up to use as a screen. I would probably get a fixed screen to hang on that wall. Any recommendations for a 100" screen?

The distance from the back wall to the screen wall is 12'3". The main seating position is 10' from the TV. Looks like most projectors would be able to handle a 100" 16:9 display at that throw distance.

Since this photo was taken, I have removed the weird electric fireplace right of the TV, and widened the front towers, so there's more room than there appears to be in the photos.
iamtaylorsmith is offline  
post #6 of 41 Old 04-09-2018, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DavidK442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 1,710
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 764
I can't tell how far away from the screen the projector will be mounted.
Personally I would go with a 110 or 120" screen at your viewing distance but it is a matter of preference.
Typically first time projector owners go too small then upgrade to something larger.
The best low cost screen seems to be the Silver Ticket. Go with white not grey.


For a projector, reflected light from white walls and ceiling really impact contrast. Darkening the room colors would be the best bang for the buck upgrade.
Have fun. I went to projectors 8 years ago and haven't watched a direct view tv since.
DavidK442 is offline  
post #7 of 41 Old 04-09-2018, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
I can't tell how far away from the screen the projector will be mounted.
Personally I would go with a 110 or 120" screen at your viewing distance but it is a matter of preference.
Typically first time projector owners go too small then upgrade to something larger.
The best low cost screen seems to be the Silver Ticket. Go with white not grey.


For a projector, reflected light from white walls and ceiling really impact contrast. Darkening the room colors would be the best bang for the buck upgrade.
Have fun. I went to projectors 8 years ago and haven't watched a direct view tv since.
Thanks for the reply David!The projector would be mounted about 12'3" from the screen (not factoring in the size of the projector)

I am currently sitting 10 feet away from a 50" TV, so upgrading to 100" is a little overwhelming. From 10' away, would you still go up to 110"?
iamtaylorsmith is offline  
post #8 of 41 Old 04-09-2018, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 2,707
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1522 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtaylorsmith View Post
The white panel above the tv is 42"x94", but I think it's way too high up to use as a screen. I would probably get a fixed screen to hang on that wall. Any recommendations for a 100" screen?

The distance from the back wall to the screen wall is 12'3". The main seating position is 10' from the TV. Looks like most projectors would be able to handle a 100" 16:9 display at that throw distance.

Since this photo was taken, I have removed the weird electric fireplace right of the TV, and widened the front towers, so there's more room than there appears to be in the photos.
IMHO, in a room with a 7.5ft high ceiling, I'd want the top edge of the screen as close to the ceiling as possible. This will make the image easily viewable and allow viewers to walk under the projected light with minimal obstruction of the image. When you visit a movie theatre you'll notice that the screen is well above your seated position.
DunMunro is offline  
post #9 of 41 Old 04-09-2018, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AV_Integrated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Northern, VA - Washington, DC
Posts: 6,820
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked: 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
When you visit a movie theatre you'll notice that the screen is well above your seated position.
Most properly designed theaters have the center seats hitting about the center of the screen for eye level.

Few theaters have it up high or down low.

But, really the typical setup has the eyes falling about 1/3 to 1/2 way up from the bottom of the screen, so there is room to have it a bit higher.

TYPICAL SCREEN SIZE: About 10" to 12" of diagonal for each FOOT of viewing distance. 100" to 120" diagonal is typical.

It is recommended you get the projector first, then decide upon a screen size. Just throw a white sheet up on the wall for a bit and try out 100" to 120" or larger/smaller and see what you like best. Don't let us decide for you based upon our own preferences. You can also try different heights.

It does look like you can ceiling mount, and maybe bring it a few inches closer if needed if you want to go smaller. Really, you have about 11' or 10.5' lens to screen to work with.

IMO - This is an ideal setup for the BenQ HT2050a.

From 10.5' lens to screen, it can give you an image diagonal between 96" and 125" diagonal. Right what you are looking for.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ...ulator-pro.htm

The HT1070A is a bit cheaper, and may be a solid option, but from that throw distance will be a bit smaller. You will need a few extra inches of throw distance to hit 110" diagonal...
http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ...ulator-pro.htm

I would go with the HT2050A and call it done.

Yes, painting all surfaces 'darker' would be recommended.
DavidK442 and iamtaylorsmith like this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
AV_Integrated is offline  
post #10 of 41 Old 04-09-2018, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bud16415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Erie Pa
Posts: 8,541
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked: 1336
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtaylorsmith View Post
Thanks for the reply! I would probably look for some black ceiling tiles from projector to screen, and definitely would plan on buying a fixed screen (any recommendations for a 100" screen?). What changes would you make to the room/wall colours?
Black tiles are easy to do and can be painted and replaced later if you need to go back to white. They also make running wires and cables a snap. He walls I like the trim but would paint the upper half a darker color. And if it were me I would take the wall and make it all flat and paint the wall with flat paint to use as a screen while figuring out what size you want. I sit 8 foot from a 110” max 16:9 screen size I then use zoom to go smaller when required. Keep in mind scope movies wont be as tall as your screen and some movies expand to IMAX. Projectors are different than TV as you can easily change the size as you like.
iamtaylorsmith likes this.

Bud
bud16415 is online now  
post #11 of 41 Old 04-09-2018, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 2,707
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1522 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Most properly designed theaters have the center seats hitting about the center of the screen for eye level.

Few theaters have it up high or down low.

But, really the typical setup has the eyes falling about 1/3 to 1/2 way up from the bottom of the screen, so there is room to have it a bit higher.
Yes, that's true. In my defence I always sit very close to the screen (3rd-5th row back) and I simply forgot about that... I always express wonder at why people go to a cinema and then sit so far back.
DunMunro is offline  
post #12 of 41 Old 04-09-2018, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bud16415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Erie Pa
Posts: 8,541
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked: 1336
The BenQ HT2050A is a very nice entry level projector and if you want to save $250 the Viewsonic Pro7827HD is a very similar projector with very similar features. You could call it done and still have money left for the screen.
iamtaylorsmith likes this.

Bud
bud16415 is online now  
post #13 of 41 Old 04-09-2018, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AV_Integrated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Northern, VA - Washington, DC
Posts: 6,820
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked: 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
...if you want to save $250 the Viewsonic Pro7827HD...
I really hate Viewsonic. I've had some issues with them in years past.

But, if I'm to be honest, they very well could have resolved those issues and may be delivering much better product. I used to have the same complaint about BenQ who I happily support these days. So, what do I know?

At that price ($500) get the Viewsonic, then use the $250 to get a Silver Ticket screen from Amazon to go along with it. Seems like the right way to go! Throw distance is almost identical to the BenQ, and if I were to guess, I'm thinking Viewsonic saw what BenQ delivered and said "HEY! We can copy that!" - and they did.
bud16415 likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
AV_Integrated is offline  
post #14 of 41 Old 04-09-2018, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bud16415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Erie Pa
Posts: 8,541
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked: 1336
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
I really hate Viewsonic. I've had some issues with them in years past.

But, if I'm to be honest, they very well could have resolved those issues and may be delivering much better product. I used to have the same complaint about BenQ who I happily support these days. So, what do I know?

At that price ($500) get the Viewsonic, then use the $250 to get a Silver Ticket screen from Amazon to go along with it. Seems like the right way to go! Throw distance is almost identical to the BenQ, and if I were to guess, I'm thinking Viewsonic saw what BenQ delivered and said "HEY! We can copy that!" - and they did.
They were smart enough to copy it and then priced it $100 higher and never sold many For 3 years. They waited around until the one they copied dropped in price and then matched the price.

This one is my second Viewsonic and I haven’t had anything bad to say about ether one.

Bud
bud16415 is online now  
post #15 of 41 Old 04-09-2018, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DavidK442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 1,710
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Most properly designed theaters have the center seats hitting about the center of the screen for eye level.

Few theaters have it up high or down low.

But, really the typical setup has the eyes falling about 1/3 to 1/2 way up from the bottom of the screen, so there is room to have it a bit higher.

TYPICAL SCREEN SIZE: About 10" to 12" of diagonal for each FOOT of viewing distance. 100" to 120" diagonal is typical.

It is recommended you get the projector first, then decide upon a screen size. Just throw a white sheet up on the wall for a bit and try out 100" to 120" or larger/smaller and see what you like best. Don't let us decide for you based upon our own preferences. You can also try different heights.

It does look like you can ceiling mount, and maybe bring it a few inches closer if needed if you want to go smaller. Really, you have about 11' or 10.5' lens to screen to work with.

IMO - This is an ideal setup for the BenQ HT2050a.

From 10.5' lens to screen, it can give you an image diagonal between 96" and 125" diagonal. Right what you are looking for.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ...ulator-pro.htm

The HT1070A is a bit cheaper, and may be a solid option, but from that throw distance will be a bit smaller. You will need a few extra inches of throw distance to hit 110" diagonal...
http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ...ulator-pro.htm

I would go with the HT2050A and call it done.

Yes, painting all surfaces 'darker' would be recommended.
Ditto.
DavidK442 is offline  
post #16 of 41 Old 04-10-2018, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Most properly designed theaters have the center seats hitting about the center of the screen for eye level.

Few theaters have it up high or down low.

But, really the typical setup has the eyes falling about 1/3 to 1/2 way up from the bottom of the screen, so there is room to have it a bit higher.

TYPICAL SCREEN SIZE: About 10" to 12" of diagonal for each FOOT of viewing distance. 100" to 120" diagonal is typical.

It is recommended you get the projector first, then decide upon a screen size. Just throw a white sheet up on the wall for a bit and try out 100" to 120" or larger/smaller and see what you like best. Don't let us decide for you based upon our own preferences. You can also try different heights.

It does look like you can ceiling mount, and maybe bring it a few inches closer if needed if you want to go smaller. Really, you have about 11' or 10.5' lens to screen to work with.

IMO - This is an ideal setup for the BenQ HT2050a.

From 10.5' lens to screen, it can give you an image diagonal between 96" and 125" diagonal. Right what you are looking for.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ...ulator-pro.htm

The HT1070A is a bit cheaper, and may be a solid option, but from that throw distance will be a bit smaller. You will need a few extra inches of throw distance to hit 110" diagonal...
http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ...ulator-pro.htm

I would go with the HT2050A and call it done.

Yes, painting all surfaces 'darker' would be recommended.
This is a great reply, thank you! I've actually been looking at the BenQ 2050 and the Epson HC2100. I'm a little weary of a DLP projector, due to the rainbow effect. We had a DLP style rear projection TV, and I always noticed the rainbows. Of course, the only way to know would be to view one.

Does anyone have experience with both projectors?

Thanks to all the replies, I'm starting to get excited about a theatre experience in my basement. Now to get the wife excited too..
iamtaylorsmith is offline  
post #17 of 41 Old 04-10-2018, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PrimeTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lower California
Posts: 3,330
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 552
The sub-$1000 DLPs, for the most part, are noticeably better than the cheap Epsons.

Rainbows vary, and are personal. On mine, a Vivitek H1186, I don't see them at all. So get one (with return privileges) and try it out.

It really helps to darken the room nearest the screen. You don't have to darken the whole room, just the 5-6 feet closest to the screen. That room could use some sound absorption too, so the best results would be dark absorption throughout that 5-6 foot space.

Seeing as you have floor-based speakers, you might want to place the screen as low as possible given your PJ mounting limitations.
PrimeTime is offline  
post #18 of 41 Old 04-10-2018, 10:00 AM
Member
 
igetittera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
IMHO, in a room with a 7.5ft high ceiling, I'd want the top edge of the screen as close to the ceiling as possible. This will make the image easily viewable and allow viewers to walk under the projected light with minimal obstruction of the image. When you visit a movie theatre you'll notice that the screen is well above your seated position.
No its not , you are looking mostly down at the screen in a theatre. I have somewhat the same clearance , if you have your screen to high in that room, you will exp. front row neck syndrome. If i were you I would place the screen just high enough to clear ever ones head in the seated position. when looking straight from the seated positions, your eyes should be at centre of screen or higher ,looking down not up. This has been my exp. might not work for all. Hw ever if I were you,I would consider a large screen TV 75"+,
when you factor all the components and cost of setting up a theatre in a room thats not really campatible, IMO. It sounds cool , looks cool, but not the best bang for you buck.
igetittera is offline  
post #19 of 41 Old 04-10-2018, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 2,707
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1522 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by igetittera View Post
No its not , you are looking mostly down at the screen in a theatre. I have somewhat the same clearance , if you have your screen to high in that room, you will exp. front row neck syndrome. If i were you I would place the screen just high enough to clear ever ones head in the seated position. when looking straight from the seated positions, your eyes should be at centre of screen or higher ,looking down not up. This has been my exp. might not work for all. Hw ever if I were you,I would consider a large screen TV 75"+,
when you factor all the components and cost of setting up a theatre in a room thats not really campatible, IMO. It sounds cool , looks cool, but not the best bang for you buck.
As long as the neck is supported via suitable reclining seating it won't be a problem. Additionally, in a room with low ceilings, the projector will have to be placed very low, if the image is low, and then the problems of clearance under the PJ and it's closer proximity to the viewers becomes a problem. Anyone who stands will also obstruct the light path from the PJ.
DunMunro is offline  
post #20 of 41 Old 04-10-2018, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jeahrens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 4,575
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2442 Post(s)
Liked: 1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtaylorsmith View Post
This is a great reply, thank you! I've actually been looking at the BenQ 2050 and the Epson HC2100. I'm a little weary of a DLP projector, due to the rainbow effect. We had a DLP style rear projection TV, and I always noticed the rainbows. Of course, the only way to know would be to view one.

Does anyone have experience with both projectors?

Thanks to all the replies, I'm starting to get excited about a theatre experience in my basement. Now to get the wife excited too..
If you're worried about rainbows you may want to look at the Sony HW45ES. It's going to be a bit pricier, but offers a noticeably better picture than the entry level DLPs, and very flexible placement.

jeahrens is offline  
post #21 of 41 Old 04-10-2018, 11:43 AM
Member
 
igetittera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
As long as the neck is supported via suitable reclining seating it won't be a problem. Additionally, in a room with low ceilings, the projector will have to be placed very low, if the image is low, and then the problems of clearance under the PJ and it's closer proximity to the viewers becomes a problem. Anyone who stands will also obstruct the light path from the PJ.
Sorry not my experience, same setting, I can sit the front row on the floor 4.5-5 feet away from screen,without them blocking it. There is lens shift. Is this a theatre room or a social room, know matter people will not be able to stand up in the middle of the room without affecting the projector light path, even with good lens shift(Epson) at 7.5 ft . You would need a super short throw projector for it not to be any problem, not sure they make one for as close as you need. Really bro consider a 75+ in Tv all problems solved.

Last edited by igetittera; 04-10-2018 at 11:50 AM.
igetittera is offline  
post #22 of 41 Old 04-10-2018, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 2,707
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1522 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtaylorsmith View Post
This is a great reply, thank you! I've actually been looking at the BenQ 2050 and the Epson HC2100. I'm a little weary of a DLP projector, due to the rainbow effect. We had a DLP style rear projection TV, and I always noticed the rainbows. Of course, the only way to know would be to view one.

Does anyone have experience with both projectors?

Thanks to all the replies, I'm starting to get excited about a theatre experience in my basement. Now to get the wife excited too..
This is a quote from a review of 7 different DLP PJs (and one Epson):

Quote:
Fewest Rainbow Artifacts. If you hate rainbow artifacts and try to avoid DLP projectors as a result, you will be pleasantly surprised to find that this is essentially a non-issue with this batch of projectors. As a three-chip 3LCD model, the Epson HC 1060 can't produce rainbow artifacts. But we also saw virtually none with any of the Optoma models, and we saw few enough with the ViewSonic and BenQ models that it is hard to believe anyone would find them annoying.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Best...ctors-2018.htm
Having said that, and admitting that I would probably pick the HT2050, I think you'd probably be happy with an Epson such as the HC2040 or HC2150. I would not get the HC2100 because it is really no advance image wise over the HC2040 while the HC2150 has a much better 3LCD unit in it. You can pick up refurbed HC2040s for very good prices.
DunMunro is offline  
post #23 of 41 Old 04-10-2018, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 2,707
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1522 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by igetittera View Post
Sorry not my experience, same setting, I can sit the front row on the floor 4.5-5 feet away from screen,without them blocking it. There is lens shift. Is this a theatre room or a social room, know matter people will not be able to stand up in the middle of the room without affecting the projector light path, even with good lens shift(Epson) at 7.5 ft . You would need a super short throw projector for it not to be any problem, not sure they make one for as close as you need. Really bro consider a 75+ in Tv all problems solved.
I've got an Epson HC2030 setup in a LR with almost the same dimensions as the OP and it would be incredibly inconvenient to set it up with the image bottom edge near the floor as we'd lose all the space close to the floor and the PJ would practically be in our laps. The HC2100/2150 might have enough image shift to keep the PJ up high but that still places the light path down low and uses up the area close to the floor.
DunMunro is offline  
post #24 of 41 Old 04-10-2018, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
If you're worried about rainbows you may want to look at the Sony HW45ES. It's going to be a bit pricier, but offers a noticeably better picture than the entry level DLPs, and very flexible placement.
Totally understand, but that bad boy is about $2000 CAD out of my budget... haha
iamtaylorsmith is offline  
post #25 of 41 Old 04-10-2018, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hats off to you if you want to project your image up super high, but one main goal of a projector for me will be to have the middle of the image at eye-level as I'm sitting down. Front row at a movie theatre sounds like torture.

I've taped off the dimensions of a 100" screen on the wall (helped with green markup) with the middle of the screen at the middle of the current TV, and it looks like the ideal position. Most of the entry level PJs I'm looking at have a 5-8" vertical offset, so the ceiling mount with the top of the screen being 12" from the ceiling seems doable.







Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
admitting that I would probably pick the HT2050, I think you'd probably be happy with an Epson such as the HC2040 or HC2150. I would not get the HC2100 because it is really no advance image wise over the HC2040 while the HC2150 has a much better 3LCD unit in it. You can pick up refurbed HC2040s for very good prices.
Thanks for this recommendation, Dun! Looks like that HC2040 is listed on costco.ca, so I'm going to see if they have any in-store. Could use Costco's generous return policy for a "test run" during NHL playoffs.

My other reservation with a projector set-up is fan noise. Looks like my ears will be about 4 feet away from the projector. With these entry level models, is fan noise really that big of an issue? Louder than the average fridge? I see the Optoma HD29Darbee is touted for low fan noise, $150 cheaper at Costco, but it's back to a DLP model... I'm a researcher at heart so, I probably have a few weeks of deliberation before taking the plunge!

Last edited by iamtaylorsmith; 04-10-2018 at 01:14 PM.
iamtaylorsmith is offline  
post #26 of 41 Old 04-10-2018, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jeahrens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 4,575
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2442 Post(s)
Liked: 1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtaylorsmith View Post
Totally understand, but that bad boy is about $2000 CAD out of my budget... haha
Didn't see a budget listed. No worries. The entry level Epson units mentioned by others are probably a good choice to avoid rainbows if you think you'd be sensitive to them.
iamtaylorsmith likes this.

jeahrens is offline  
post #27 of 41 Old 04-10-2018, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lizrussspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parkview, IA
Posts: 3,860
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked: 2426
iamtaylorsmith, another vote for getting a projector, and see how big you want to project. Light control will help, I had at one time a Optoma HD25 mounted around 12 ft on a 106" screen. I suffered from REB, so I got a Sony 40ES after that, mounted about 12'10" on a 106" screen, and plenty bright. It was a great picture. I since have gone with a JCV, but still about 12'10" mounted sitting about 11' away. Good Luck, but projector def will work in that space. Oh and I watched all sports and movies on the Sony 40ES!
lizrussspike is offline  
post #28 of 41 Old 04-10-2018, 01:16 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 868
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 295
I wouldn't immediately get an LCD projector because you "might" see rainbows, only a percentage of people are sensitive to that. Buy a DLP from a place that has easy return policy. DLPs are awesome, the image just "pops" due to the ANSI contrast. And most low end LCDs have poor black levels, worse than DLP.

If you want something much better you're going to have to increase your budget to nearly 2 grand (Sony 45 es). Otherwise, yes get LCD if you find out you are RBE sensitive. You can probably check out a DLP at a home theater store somewhere.

I agree about the comments re: nose bleed section of the theater. Don't put a screen above the plasma, it'll be too high, instead take the plasma down and use the projector 100% of the time. I did that and six months later sold my plasma because I never used it. Or keep it as a spare. Got 400 bucks for mine. So I got an upgrade from 46 inches to 140 inches for 400 bucks.

One last thing, get as big a screen as you can fit back there, and put it as low as possible. You can move the speakers to the sides a bit which should increase your screen size without obstructing your view. Good luck. Make sure to use an online projector calculator to figure out if you can even get the image where you want it based on your ceiling height.
BattleAxeVR is offline  
post #29 of 41 Old 04-10-2018, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAxeVR View Post

If you want something much better you're going to have to increase your budget to nearly 2 grand (Sony 45 es). Otherwise, yes get LCD if you find out you are RBE sensitive. You can probably check out a DLP at a home theater store somewhere.

I agree about the comments re: nose bleed section of the theater. Don't put a screen above the plasma, it'll be too high, instead take the plasma down and use the projector 100% of the time. I did that and six months later sold my plasma because I never used it. Or keep it as a spare. Got 400 bucks for mine. So I got an upgrade from 46 inches to 140 inches for 400 bucks.
I definitely agree with this! The plan will be to go 100% projector with a fixed screen, and move the plasma to a family room upstairs.
iamtaylorsmith is offline  
post #30 of 41 Old 04-10-2018, 02:15 PM
Member
 
igetittera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
I've got an Epson HC2030 setup in a LR with almost the same dimensions as the OP and it would be incredibly inconvenient to set it up with the image bottom edge near the floor as we'd lose all the space close to the floor and the PJ would practically be in our laps. The HC2100/2150 might have enough image shift to keep the PJ up high but that still places the light path down low and uses up the area close to the floor.
My screen starts 19" from the floor, my proj. is on the ceiling 9.5" away, MVP is 9' from the 100"screen, who is moving around in front of the screen while your viewing it, in such a small room. There is absolutely no way of getting around your ceiling hieght and people in the way period.Get the big 1080 TV
igetittera is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off