LG HU80KA 4K/UHD Laser Smart Projector - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 58Likes

post #61 of 396 Old 05-23-2018, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 29
No mention of the black level??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 396 Old 05-24-2018, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 78
RGBYRGBY adds a yellow band. Interesting. But I'd need to see the regular color gamut chart to understand the impact.

Since the HU80KA has a limited zoom range, I used the Projector Central screen calculator to see if it fit in my existing configuration. Barely. 12.7-feet at the lowest zoom setting is the range for my 96-inch wide screen (110-inch 16:9 diagonal) and is where my existing ceiling mount is. These numbers agree with the ones in the LG HU80KA manual (Page 40).
http://www.projectorcentral.com/LG-H...ulator-pro.htm
The other issue is my ceiling mount. The manual says to keep the unit 11-inches away from the wall (Page 28), but I assume that is when it is standing up vertically. Since there don't seem to be any vents on the bottom, I assume it can be much closer to the back-wall when ceiling mounted. There aren't any numbers on the distance from the back to the ceiling mount-points' center, but from the picture it looks to be about 40% of the height (0.4 * 18.5 inches = 7 inches). In my case, that is roughly where my present mount is located.

At this point, I think that I'm comfortable with just a 0.47 chip.

And it appears that the firmware is user-upgradeable:
LG Laser TV Firmware Update video on this web page:
http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-HU80KA#
and Page 106 in the manual.

So for me, the open question is the picture. Although Projector Central seemed to love the projector, I'd need more commentary on black level before making the purchase. Fortunately my living room has black-out blinds, so darkness isn't a problem. Based on the review, that seems to be a necessity for this projector due to the low light level output in the best video modes.

Scott

PS the manual was referenced in a previous post. It is here: http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-HU80KA#manuals

Last edited by 645824; 05-24-2018 at 08:39 AM.
post #63 of 396 Old 05-25-2018, 08:36 AM

On the subject of RGBY vs. RGB, I haven't seen anything specific to the HU80KA yet. However, this article from 2010 discusses the issue in connection with a different TV:

https://www.cnet.com/pictures/the-oh...-powerpoint/8/

This figure shows the motivation for spectral fill-in:
image1.png
And this figure shows impact:
image2.png
So it seems that adding yellow to the color wheel may help. We'll have to wait for a head-to-head comparison between the HU80KA and a projector with an RGB color wheel.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.png
Views:	133
Size:	516.8 KB
ID:	2407296   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.png
Views:	112
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	2407298  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 396 Old 05-25-2018, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 221
I'm intrigued by the Projector Central review's statement that there is virtually no rainbow effect and that the contrast is very good. In order for me to consider any upgrade, however, the contrast will need to be as good or better than my trusty Epson 5030UB.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Theater | Vero 4K | Epson 5030UB + Peerless PRG-UNV | 100" EluneVision Reference 4K Screen | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | Polk Audio RTi A9 + CSi A6 + OWM3 + Micca M8C + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83V Mini PC + MoviePosterApp | Z83V + DietPi FTP Server + 4 x 8TB HDDs + 4 x DLink DHP-701AV
post #65 of 396 Old 05-25-2018, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1497 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post
I'm intrigued by the Projector Central review's statement that there is virtually no rainbow effect and that the contrast is very good. In order for me to consider any upgrade, however, the contrast will need to be as good or better than my trusty Epson 5030UB.
It strikes me as suspicious when a reviewer mentions good contrast but then provides no numbers and no comparison to other projectors with known contrast numbers. The instant on/off of the laser light source should have allowed for very high on/off contrast for this projector, with a very good black. It is a sore point for people with dedicated dark rooms how DLP projectors have never been able to achieve a low black floor -- the screen is embarrassingly gray when movie scenes fade in and out from black. Lamp dimming (SmartECO, Dynamic Black, etc.) on lamp-based projectors can reduce lamp power to 30% of full brightness, but laser dimming and true off should allow much better blacks.
BattleAxeVR likes this.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
post #66 of 396 Old 05-26-2018, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
It strikes me as suspicious when a reviewer mentions good contrast but then provides no numbers and no comparison to other projectors with known contrast numbers. The instant on/off of the laser light source should have allowed for very high on/off contrast for this projector, with a very good black. It is a sore point for people with dedicated dark rooms how DLP projectors have never been able to achieve a low black floor -- the screen is embarrassingly gray when movie scenes fade in and out from black. Lamp dimming (SmartECO, Dynamic Black, etc.) on lamp-based projectors can reduce lamp power to 30% of full brightness, but laser dimming and true off should allow much better blacks.
This is certainty the case in commercial laser installations, including IMAX with Laser and Dolby Vision, although I the LG uses a laser-illuminated phosphor wheel and not RGB lasers. Differece explained here. I don't know whether laser-phosphor projectors can reach the black levels of RGB-based devices.
post #67 of 396 Old 05-27-2018, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Why does projector Central say this is NOT a short throw projector? Many users are interested in this unit when it's standing upright using the mirror for a short throw to a screen. Yet they don't review the projector in this manner. Why not? Makes no sense.
post #68 of 396 Old 05-27-2018, 07:49 PM

Projector Central gave the HU80KA an Editor's Choice award. So far, I see these that they've awarded these:
Epson 5040UB -- 2017
LG HU80KA -- 2018
Viewsonic PX727-4K -- 2018
BenQ HT2150ST -- 2016
Epson 3100 -- 2017
JVC DLA-RS440U -- 2017
JVC DLA-RS520 -- 2017
So the HU80KA is in good company. I'm eager to get the unit, but an waiting for more detail on contrast. The specs say 150,000:1, but that is a meaningless number. Other new 4K DLP projectors are struggling with HDR with a slew of firmware updates.

Since here in the 21st century I can't actually go and *see* the projector like I could even a decade ago, I have to rely on reviews. Or someone here with a stack of projectors to compare against. For me, I could only compare it against my present Panasonic 8000 (my Optoma DLP and Sharp DLP bit the dust long ago). I already know that the HU80KA would beat my Panasonic (3 LCD projector).

Vendors are still indicating an early June availability with pre-orders opening now.

Scott
post #69 of 396 Old 05-27-2018, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMurda View Post
Wow, this new LG just won an editor's choice award on Projector Central!!!

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...e&entry_id=749

http://www.projectorcentral.com/LG-H...tor-review.htm
I would not look too deeply into what projectorcentral says. Their reviews/opinions are a mixed bag of hits and mostly misses in particular the LG models. Had I listened to what they said about the PF1500 I might have bought it, and thank god I didn't.
post #70 of 396 Old 05-27-2018, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1570 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklee View Post
I would not look too deeply into what projectorcentral says. Their reviews/opinions are a mixed bag of hits and mostly misses in particular the LG models. Had I listened to what they said about the PF1500 I might have bought it, and thank god I didn't.
Wait a minute. I've owned the 1500 for three years. It's a great projector. The picture is excellent and has worked every time I have turned it on. I also owned a JVC at the same time and although the picture was better in low light pictures they were the same when the picture had good light; especially sports broadcasts. Oh yeah, the JVC didn't work half the time.

Jack
post #71 of 396 Old 05-28-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
Wait a minute. I've owned the 1500 for three years. It's a great projector. The picture is excellent and has worked every time I have turned it on. I also owned a JVC at the same time and although the picture was better in low light pictures they were the same when the picture had good light; especially sports broadcasts. Oh yeah, the JVC didn't work half the time.
What JVC model could that be that was the same as your LG 1500? Prior to getting my projector I was interested in the LG but I kept reading one issue after another and the OS seemed to be the same half-effort as the one found on their TVs. I wasn't even hung up on the high input lag as gaming was something that I was never going to use a projector for anyway. I think the 1500 was good for what it was at one point but it was easily beat by the XGIMI and many other LED projectors that came out after it.
post #72 of 396 Old 05-28-2018, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What JVC model could that be that was the same as your LG 1500? Prior to getting my projector I was interested in the LG but I kept reading one issue after another and the OS seemed to be the same half-effort as the one found on their TVs. I wasn't even hung up on the high input lag as gaming was something that I was never going to use a projector for anyway. I think the 1500 was good for what it was at one point but it was easily beat by the XGIMI and many other LED projectors that came out after it.
Aha! Another flame thrower who has never owned the object machine. Enough said.

Jack
post #73 of 396 Old 05-28-2018, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Stop Conflating!

Quote:
The PF1500w (2017) is an entirely different device from the PF1500! It performs better than the original (brighter, sharper, less lag, different interface, etc). I read what you have posted and the PF1500w is a superior device. There are advantages to the XGIMI projectors but over all I would choose the PF1500w because it has more advantages.

My main complaint about LG projectors is the one year warranty. Another complaint is the dramatic drop in lamp prices (I guess they are anticipating a major push on Laser Phosphor devices).
post #74 of 396 Old 05-28-2018, 11:14 AM

Although it is off-topic, I'll just point out to the uninitiated (like me) that the LG PF1500W is a very different different projector than the LG LW1500.

The LG marketing folks bungled the naming... They were trying to indicate the number of lumens as part of the product name.

As far as the interface goes, the HU80KA is using WebOS 3.5. The latter part of the manual (see a previous post) contains detailed info on WebOS 3.5.

However, WebOS 4.0 is due to be released shortly. It is unclear if/how an in-hand HU80KA would be upgraded to WebOS 4.0 (i.e. does a firmware update also include a WebOS update? or are they one-and-the-same?)

This article says that WebOS 4.0 is on the Netflix recommended list with LG 4K UHD TV's:
https://www.cnet.com/news/netflix-re...h-lg-and-sony/

Scott
post #75 of 396 Old 05-28-2018, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 26
So what's the story on using this as a short throw projector? Excuse me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that a major selling point of this projector from LG, the versatility of setting the projector vertically to use as a short throw 4k projector?
post #76 of 396 Old 05-28-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bigins View Post
So what's the story on using this as a short throw projector? Excuse me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that a major selling point of this projector from LG, the versatility of setting the projector vertically to use as a short throw 4k projector?
The HU80KA isn't a short throw projector (i.e. you can't put it a foot away from the screen). However, it is "shorter" throw than many projectors. In my case, it is at the very edge of my viewing distance / screen size. For the 3 other projectors that I've used in the past (Sharp, Optoma, Panasonic), the zoom range was roughly in the middle of my viewing distance / screen size.

Be sure to see the tables in the HU80KA manual about screen size and viewing distance.

Scott
post #77 of 396 Old 05-28-2018, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I doubt there will be an upgrade to WebOS 4.0

I have owned 4 or 5 LG LCD PJs and I own the 65C7 LG OLED TV. I have never seen LG upgrade the version of WebOS to the next major dot revision (i.e. 3.5 to 4.0). This only happens when the yearly model upgrade comes around. It's part of the sell, I guess. Technically, there should be nothing preventing the upgrade, especially in a recent model TV or PJ.

So I am afraid you will be stuck with WebOS 3.5 on the HU80KA. That's not necessarily a bad thing. 2017 called and they want their WebOS back It's a good interface and very fluid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 645824 View Post
Although it is off-topic, I'll just point out to the uninitiated (like me) that the LG PF1500W is a very different different projector than the LG LW1500.

The LG marketing folks bungled the naming... They were trying to indicate the number of lumens as part of the product name.

As far as the interface goes, the HU80KA is using WebOS 3.5. The latter part of the manual (see a previous post) contains detailed info on WebOS 3.5.

However, WebOS 4.0 is due to be released shortly. It is unclear if/how an in-hand HU80KA would be upgraded to WebOS 4.0 (i.e. does a firmware update also include a WebOS update? or are they one-and-the-same?)

This article says that WebOS 4.0 is on the Netflix recommended list with LG 4K UHD TV's:
https://www.cnet.com/news/netflix-re...h-lg-and-sony/

Scott
post #78 of 396 Old 05-28-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscuro View Post
The PF1500w (2017) is an entirely different device from the PF1500! It performs better than the original (brighter, sharper, less lag, different interface, etc). I read what you have posted and the PF1500w is a superior device. There are advantages to the XGIMI projectors but over all I would choose the PF1500w because it has more advantages.

My main complaint about LG projectors is the one year warranty. Another complaint is the dramatic drop in lamp prices (I guess they are anticipating a major push on Laser Phosphor devices).
I was talking about the PF1500. But even if the PF1500w was added to the conversation, I still can't see how it can be the same as the JVC.

How is the PF1500w a superior device to my H1 (after so many tests and comparisons declaring that the H1 was better)?
post #79 of 396 Old 05-28-2018, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was talking about the PF1500. But even if the PF1500w was added to the conversation, I still can't see how it can be the same as the JVC.

How is the PF1500w a superior device to my H1 (after so many tests and comparisons declaring that the H1 was better)?
As I said, it did not match the JVC in dark scenes, but in normal lighting scenes, especially sports, it was equal to or better. Don't forget, the contrast with dlp in those types of scenes is considered by most to be superior to LCD or DILA.

Jack
post #80 of 396 Old 05-28-2018, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
1080 is the way for projectors very few viewings in 4k still
post #81 of 396 Old 05-29-2018, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
As I said, it did not match the JVC in dark scenes, but in normal lighting scenes, especially sports, it was equal to or better. Don't forget, the contrast with dlp in those types of scenes is considered by most to be superior to LCD or DILA.
That's interesting.
post #82 of 396 Old 05-29-2018, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm a little confused as to what the off-axis (ie, lens shift) capabilities of this projector are...I understand that this isn't nearly as "short throw" as the hype led us all to believe (severe disappointment there!), but does the mirror allow for increased off-axis mounting options, both vertically and horizontally? My home theater room is set up very poorly (retrofit into a 100+ year old house!) and requires me to only use Epson projectors at maximum right lens shift. Epson is the only brand I've found that consistently has a 50% horizontal lens shift, so I'm stuck using them, for better or for worse. Originally I was looking at this LG projector to use in a short throw mode and place it below the screen and only a foot or so away, but since it now appears I can't really do that, I'm wondering if I should cross this off my upgrade list or not.

Also, any word as to 4K chroma sub-sampling modes available? Will it accept 4:4:4 @ 60Hz?
post #83 of 396 Old 05-29-2018, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's interesting.
I also have a Sharp 20000, at one time a high end projector, that I use for movies in the living room. You can see the difference in lens quality between it and the 1500. The JVC certainly had the same lens quality advantage but the look was different. The JVC was softer but that has been discussed on these forums many times over; dlp vs lcd/dila look. Of all of them, for many different reasons, the 1500 is/was my favorite. The picture never changes, colors or brightness, because of the LED light source. That's why this new LG is going to be a winner.

Jack
post #84 of 396 Old 05-29-2018, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Im interested also in this projector. Im curious, will the price go down? I have been following the Sony 45es and i did see it drop like 1 day to 1499, but went right back to 1999. Its been that for a while, so I don't think its gonna drop much. Are projectors like tvs? Cause I dont want to spend 3000, for it to be 999 by black friday.

Also, my problem I am having is the wall Im projecting on is only 72". So my screen is at most going to be a foot off the ground. I plan on a 120" screen, and lol, so more like 9 inches off the ground. Will this projector work? By the way, my seating area is 84 inches high, I'm projecting on to a wall in basement, and above that area is a sunken family room. Those are so stupid. Whoever designed those things?
post #85 of 396 Old 05-29-2018, 09:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJack123 View Post
Im interested also in this projector. Im curious, will the price go down? I have been following the Sony 45es and i did see it drop like 1 day to 1499, but went right back to 1999. Its been that for a while, so I don't think its gonna drop much. Are projectors like tvs? Cause I dont want to spend 3000, for it to be 999 by black friday.

Also, my problem I am having is the wall Im projecting on is only 72". So my screen is at most going to be a foot off the ground. I plan on a 120" screen, and lol, so more like 9 inches off the ground. Will this projector work? By the way, my seating area is 84 inches high, I'm projecting on to a wall in basement, and above that area is a sunken family room. Those are so stupid. Whoever designed those things?
Those sunken LRs were pretty cool back in the day. As far as the proj position goes, get yourself a narrow end table with a lower shelf and put the LG on it's belly. Just make sure the 9" bottom and the lens are at the right dimensions. Of course, this works with two recliners with the table in the middle. Put your screen in, use some books to set the proj on to get the right dimension, and then buy your table with the shelf at the right height.

Jack
post #86 of 396 Old 05-30-2018, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645824 View Post
Projector Central gave the HU80KA an Editor's Choice award. So far, I see these that they've awarded these:
Epson 5040UB -- 2017
LG HU80KA -- 2018
Viewsonic PX727-4K -- 2018
BenQ HT2150ST -- 2016
Epson 3100 -- 2017
JVC DLA-RS440U -- 2017
JVC DLA-RS520 -- 2017
So the HU80KA is in good company. I'm eager to get the unit, but an waiting for more detail on contrast. The specs say 150,000:1, but that is a meaningless number. Other new 4K DLP projectors are struggling with HDR with a slew of firmware updates.

Since here in the 21st century I can't actually go and *see* the projector like I could even a decade ago, I have to rely on reviews. Or someone here with a stack of projectors to compare against. For me, I could only compare it against my present Panasonic 8000 (my Optoma DLP and Sharp DLP bit the dust long ago). I already know that the HU80KA would beat my Panasonic (3 LCD projector).

Vendors are still indicating an early June availability with pre-orders opening now.

Scott
The ratings by Projector Central just indicate relative value for the price. They are not useful for comparisons in a universal sense. For example 5 stars for picture quality for the LG HU80KA is not comparable to 5 stars for the picture quality of the Optoma UHZ65 because they are in different price categories.
post #87 of 396 Old 06-02-2018, 11:12 AM

unboxing the HU80KA

I found this unboxing video, posted on June 1:
It is 20 minutes long, and he is very happy with the HU80KA. And it isn't in an ideal setting -- he is projecting onto a wall, and the room lights are on and the windows are open. He says he's 125-inches diagonal and can't see the pixels. He even likes the speakers. His only negatives are the lack of adjustments.

Later in the video (at 15:15) he turns off the room lights. But the windows are still open.

He is feeding from an Xbox in 4K mode.

There is a little blurriness in parts of the screen, but that was due to the mirror. Once he put it down without the mirror, the focus was uniform (starting at around 18:00).

Scott
nowknown, imhotep6 and trey31 like this.
post #88 of 396 Old 06-03-2018, 07:57 PM

RGB and RGBY

On thing about the HU80KA is that it has an RGBYRGBY color wheel instead of RGBRGB. This graphic from https://electronics.stackexchange.co.../324073#324073 does a nice job of specifically discussing why adding Yellow should help.

The point from the article is that there is a gap between green and red (green is closer to blue than it is to red). And yellow nicely fills that gap.

We'll have to wait for a more detailed review of the HU80KA color-space to examine this further.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RGB.png
Views:	87
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	2411522  
post #89 of 396 Old 06-05-2018, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anybody got anymore news or reviews on this please? What do you guys think with what all have seen so far? Thanks
post #90 of 396 Old 06-05-2018, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 54
This is not true 4k, but faux 4k, correct? I keep reading conflicting information on that. I just saw a review that said it is a 1080p projector that doubles the pixels to achieve a 4k type image. Just want to clarify that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page